PDA

View Full Version : Human Omnidirectional sprint.

AlexanderLS
22nd Nov 2014, 22:27
I'm not sure if you guys can sprint in all directions... I can.

It is frustrating how humans can only sprint forward,
on top of that no matter what direction key I press, if shift is also pressed I go forwards.

This wasn't listed in the noted suggestions sticky so I thought I'd say it.

PencileyePirate
23rd Nov 2014, 00:03
I'm not sure if you guys can sprint in all directions... I can.

Nope, we're not superhuman like you. : (

I don't quite know what your point is, since sprinting forward is how it's normally done ... in both games and real life.

enkaku-silence-
23rd Nov 2014, 04:44
It depends what kind of camera-setting the game has. Some games allow the player to move the camera around the character, but since Nosgoth is kind of a shooter, the camera is always behind the character. It wouldn't make sense to turn the camera to the front of your soldier and shoot behind him, aye?

So the camera always points in the direction the character is looking. Pushing A/D makes him walk sideways, S makes him walk backwards. When you push S, he doesn't turn around and walk in direction of the cam, like in some other games. You have to turn him around using your mouse to run forwards.

Vampmaster
23rd Nov 2014, 13:13
Nope, we're not superhuman like you. : (

I don't quite know what your point is, since sprinting forward is how it's normally done ... in both games and real life.

He means with the gamepad. Unlike with the mouse, vampires can run in a different direction to the camera.

AlexanderLS
25th Nov 2014, 01:31

When you are in combat, and you are forced to retreat... You lay suppressing fire while running backwards.
Basic military strategy.

When in combat, You use every skill at your disposal to survive.
Running in all directions is something every soldier can and does do.

This suggestion has nothing to do with the camera/perspective.
It has to do with the utilization of all the skills a human possess to survive.

Lomonop
25th Nov 2014, 11:46
The character runs by default, sprinting is faster and I can only do that forwards (in real life).

AlexanderLS
25th Nov 2014, 15:17
The character runs by default, sprinting is faster and I can only do that forwards (in real life).

The human characters are slow, They run slow and sprint really slow...
If you were trying to survive you would sprint backwards.

Even if the devs don't want to add omnidirectional sprint, they still need to allow me to go backwards while holding shift.
Usually in games where shift is used for running, I like to just hold it down. By now, I've already adjusted to nosgoths unconventional flaws. When they transition to open beta, They may loose some FPS players as the shift key silliness could be seen as sloppy movement mechanics by MANY gamers. I certainly felt it was very off-putting the first few times my character sprinted forward while I was pressing the s key.
Some games, titanfall for example, allow a person to set a "Sprint by Default" option which would be nice.

Vampmaster
25th Nov 2014, 15:33

With vampires on the gamepad, the character can turn and face the camera, so it's technically still running forwards from it's own point of view, just not the camera's. (Assuming that's what AlexanderLS is referring to.)

CrunchyFX
26th Nov 2014, 00:44
If you're asking to be able to run at full speed backwards and sideways and still be able to shoot in front of you, that's going to make humans completely overpowered. Vampires will be shut down before they can even reach you. Also, sprinting in Nosgoth isn't really for escaping vampires, it's used to get in proper position or to catch up to teammates if you spawned far away from them.

Psyonix_Corey
26th Nov 2014, 02:08
While humans will not be receiving omnidirectional sprint, I did finally dig in and fix Shift forcing you to move when forward isn't pressed. Won't be in this week but maybe next week's build.

PencileyePirate
26th Nov 2014, 02:37
When in combat, You use every skill at your disposal to survive.
Running in all directions is something every soldier can and does do.

The human characters are slow, They run slow and sprint really slow...
If you were trying to survive you would sprint backwards.

It seems you're imagining things. Walking backwards is one thing, but try to sprint backwards and I think you'll trip.

When a real person wants to run a different direction they change orientation while continuing forward.

While humans will not be receiving omnidirectional sprint, I did finally dig in and fix Shift forcing you to move when forward isn't pressed. Won't be in this week but maybe next week's build.

Yay! Thanks.

HexMee
26th Nov 2014, 10:07

Will this be optional? I always loved the way you could just hold down shift and "steer" without having to hold 'W' too.

Psyonix_Corey
26th Nov 2014, 16:46
Will this be optional? I always loved the way you could just hold down shift and "steer" without having to hold 'W' too.

I'm sure we can look at making it a toggle in the game options

AlexanderLS
27th Nov 2014, 03:30
When a real person wants to run a different direction they change orientation while continuing forward.

Tell that to these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksvCCR4MN_w) ordinary non soldiers who are not sprinting for their lives.

That was the main thing, thanks!