PDA

View Full Version : The canon ending to Human Revolution.

Icarus451
3rd Nov 2014, 18:13
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it was claimed that there is no canon ending to Human Revolution as of yet. However, on my 3th instance of playing the game I payed closer attention to the after credit scene. (which is entirely canon)

http://youtu.be/PMMcd6-D4x8?t=10m

At 10 minutes into the video, the conversation begins.

Page - "You worry too much Morgan. There's nothing we can't manage, given time."

Megan knocks at the door

Page - "She's here. I have to cut this short. Keep going through the wreckage. Maybe we'll find something we can use for the Morpheus Initiative.

I don't know if there is anything which would suggest otherwise, but it seems as though Page is referring to the wreckage of the Panchaea, which is destroyed in the ending where Jensen decides no one on the station, himself included has the right to decide what is best for mankind.

Could anyone think of a way this doesn't make this ending canon?

xaduha2
3rd Nov 2014, 20:47
1) PHB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy-haired_Boss) decides that Jensen is essential to the Deus Ex franchise.

-Neon-
3rd Nov 2014, 21:03
Could be multiple things if you widen your definition of "wreckage."

Panchaea being destroyed is the canon ending
The chopper carrying Megan and her team was shot down (again, if you saved Malik :[[[ ) and only Megan survived as planned by the Illuminati
Eliza’s systems were destroyed by an outside source or during testing
Something completely different happened and we’ll learn about it during one of the newer games.

Icarus451
3rd Nov 2014, 21:14
Interesting points.

I don't think there would be anything reasonable worthwhile searching for in a helicopter crash, Eliza's systems are a possibility, yet I don't remember her core systems being destroyed. Also that could explain how page was able to create Daedalus, Icarus and eventually Helios in DX1. I somehow don't think there would be anything there to aid the Morpheus Initiative.

So for those two, maybe it could reference them, but seems unlikely.

As for the fact that it could be something we don't know about yet, it would seem strange to mention it straight after THIS game, especially with a Megan saying "Where else could I go?" which assumes she can't work for Sarif any longer because he's you know, dead.

But again, maybe.

AdrianShephard
4th Nov 2014, 03:13
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it was claimed that there is no canon ending to Human Revolution as of yet. However, on my 3th instance of playing the game I payed closer attention to the after credit scene. (which is entirely canon)

http://youtu.be/PMMcd6-D4x8?t=10m

At 10 minutes into the video, the conversation begins.

Page - "You worry too much Morgan. There's nothing we can't manage, given time."

Megan knocks at the door

Page - "She's here. I have to cut this short. Keep going through the wreckage. Maybe we'll find something we can use for the Morpheus Initiative.

I don't know if there is anything which would suggest otherwise, but it seems as though Page is referring to the wreckage of the Panchaea, which is destroyed in the ending where Jensen decides no one on the station, himself included has the right to decide what is best for mankind.

Doesn't have to be physical wreckage; it could be intellectual property like a conceptual idea/project that failed, and Page is simply telling Morgan to pick through the pieces (data, general research, etc.) to find something of use. I'm positive the Morpheus Initiative has something to do with AI, so perhaps the "wreckage" could be referring to the Hyron Project (HP). Page's ultimate goal was to merge with an AI through nanotech, and the HP serves as the preliminary stage in this. Making an AI (eventually Daedalus, Icarus, and Helios) that can think abstractly on its own would be a step major step above the HP and the drones necessary for Hydra (the supercomputer) to be self-aware/capable of abstract and adaptive thinking.

As for which ending is canon? There is too much time in between HR and DX1, so any of them can be argued as canon. Personally, I believe the Illuminati/Taggert ending was canon as it gave the Illuminati more power and allowed for augmentation research to continue but under strict guidelines, which would partially (OK, a bit of a stretch) explain why we saw so little civilian augmentations in DX1.

Icarus451
4th Nov 2014, 15:23
That would be the next most likely thing, that it isn't a typical wreckage at all. However to me at least, "searching through" a wreckage makes it seem as though it is physical. I would agree that the Morpheus Initiative has nothing to do with AI, but I do think that Page plans to use the Hyron Project for his eventual plan to merge with Helios.

AdrianShephard
4th Nov 2014, 17:11
I would agree that the Morpheus Initiative has nothing to do with AI, but I do think that Page plans to use the Hyron Project for his eventual plan to merge with Helios.

I said it does have something to do with AI. That's why I wrote "Page's ultimate goal was to merge with an AI through nanotech, and the HP serves as the preliminary stage in this."

I'm fairly certain "search through the wreckage" is a figure of speech. Sort of like how people say "we need to pick up the pieces of our relationship".

xaduha2
4th Nov 2014, 17:41
"Keep going through the wreckage" ~ "we need to pick up the pieces of our relationship"

riight...

'Don't over-think it' aka Occam's razor, sometimes a wreckage is just a wreckage.

This is a pointless speculation if I ever saw one. But clearly we don't have anything better to do, so lets continue.

AdrianShephard
4th Nov 2014, 19:31
"Keep going through the wreckage" ~ "we need to pick up the pieces of our relationship"

riight...

'Don't over-think it' aka Occam's razor, sometimes a wreckage is just a wreckage.

This is a pointless speculation if I ever saw one. But clearly we don't have anything better to do, so lets continue.

Ah, it's you again. If you are going to be such a nasty and arrogant troll, at least be sure the other person is completely wrong. Naturally, with your personality type, you must always think this so that piece of advice is useless for you. Inserting yourself into a thoughtful discussion and arguing for the sake of it doesn't make you look smart, on the contrary it reeks of desperation to look intellectual.

Both could be used as figures of speech. "Wreckage" could be substituted for "train wreck" in many idiomatic phrases.

Icarus451
4th Nov 2014, 19:35

riight...

Agreed, this is utter pointless speculation, but we'll discuss it none the less. I understand all the other interpretations and at the end of the day, we don't know. I still think this is strong evidence to suggest this ending is at least somewhat canon.

xaduha2
4th Nov 2014, 19:36
Ah, it's you again. If you are going to be such a nasty and arrogant troll, at least be sure the other person is completely wrong. Naturally, with your personality type, you must always think this so that piece of advice is useless for you. Inserting yourself into a thoughtful discussion and arguing for the sake of it doesn't make you look smart, on the contrary it reeks of desperation to look intellectual.

Both could be used as figures of speech. "Wreckage" could be substituted for "train wreck" in many idiomatic phrases.

Whatever, I won't even bother.

Icarus451
4th Nov 2014, 19:37
I said it does have something to do with AI. That's why I wrote "Page's ultimate goal was to merge with an AI through nanotech, and the HP serves as the preliminary stage in this."

I'm fairly certain "search through the wreckage" is a figure of speech. Sort of like how people say "we need to pick up the pieces of our relationship".

Couldn't the Morpheus Initiative also have something to do with/be the D Project? Or possible the beginnings of the Gray Death?

AdrianShephard
4th Nov 2014, 20:00
Couldn't the Morpheus Initiative also have something to do with/be the D Project? Or possible the beginnings of the Gray Death?

I thought the Morpheus Initiative was the project that led to the creation of Morpheus, the prototype AI that served as a basis for Daedalus. Morgan Everett was directly involved in the creation of Morpheus as well.

Icarus451
4th Nov 2014, 20:03
I thought the Morpheus Initiative was the project that led to the creation of Morpheus, the prototype AI that served as a basis for Daedalus.

Ah, that's a great point. That completely slipped my mind, I only played DX1 recently for the first time, that would create an obvious link between the "wreckage" of the Hyron project and the creation of the Daedalus, Icarus and Helios.