PDA

View Full Version : Official FAQ on TR10 Xbox exclusivity

Driber
22nd Aug 2014, 21:43
Here's some official info coming straight from the folks at Crystal:

Rise of the Tomb Raider FAQ

What does exclusive to Xbox mean?
It means that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
Did Crystal Dynamics know about this deal?
Yes, Crystal Dynamics is excited to be partnering with Microsoft to make the best game possible. As Darrell mentioned in his message (http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update), we have a long history with Microsoft and they have been a very strong supporter of the franchise. They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.
Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.
Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft GamesCom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details.

----

And for reference, here again are the older FAQ items I posted earlier:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2032033&postcount=1176

1. What do you mean by exclusive to Xbox? Is it a temporary/timed exclusive that has the possibility of a later release to other platforms like PlayStation or PC? Is it coming to Xbox 360 and Xbox One?
Crystal Dynamics is focusing on Xbox for holiday 2015. Other platforms may follow, but for now we are focusing on delivering a great game for Xbox One and Xbox 360.

2. Why did you decide to make Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusive? Why Xbox?
We unfortunately cannot share all the details surrounding the decision but please refer to Darrell Gallagher’s note for what we can say at this point.

a_big_house
22nd Aug 2014, 21:45
Alrighty then. I'll try not to smash up my 360 just yet.

ARaider
22nd Aug 2014, 21:47
Alrighty then. I'll try not to smash up my 360 just yet.

Lol why would you?:lol:

a_big_house
22nd Aug 2014, 21:50
Lol why would you?:lol:

Well, I'd have to sacrifice something for my PS4 when I get it, only seems fair :D

Treeble
22nd Aug 2014, 21:55
Nothing we didn't already know. :(

ARaider
22nd Aug 2014, 21:59
Well, I'd have to sacrifice something for my PS4 when I get it, only seems fair :D

Ah I get it. yes sacrifice the xbox!!! :D
auozai_tumblr_mnsx1kZZaM1s4ufzko9_r2_250.gif

Murphdawg1
22nd Aug 2014, 22:29
Here's some official info coming straight from the folks at Crystal:

Rise of the Tomb Raider FAQ

What does exclusive to Xbox mean?
It means that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.
Did Crystal Dynamics know about this deal?
Yes, Crystal Dynamics is excited to be partnering with Microsoft to make the best game possible. As Darrell mentioned in his message (http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update), we have a long history with Microsoft and they have been a very strong supporter of the franchise. They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.
Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.
Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft GamesCom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details.

----

And for reference, here again are the older FAQ items I posted earlier:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2032033&postcount=1176

1. What do you mean by exclusive to Xbox? Is it a temporary/timed exclusive that has the possibility of a later release to other platforms like PlayStation or PC? Is it coming to Xbox 360 and Xbox One?
Crystal Dynamics is focusing on Xbox for holiday 2015. Other platforms may follow, but for now we are focusing on delivering a great game for Xbox One and Xbox 360.

2. Why did you decide to make Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusive? Why Xbox?
We unfortunately cannot share all the details surrounding the decision but please refer to Darrell Gallagher’s note for what we can say at this point.

They might be "aware" but seeing dollar signs from Microsoft hasn't stopped them yet from sticking a knife in the back of those fans. For once how about a completly clean release Square/Crystal where all fans are treated the same?

Rai
22nd Aug 2014, 22:35
Well that cleared that right up then. Or, not much at all. This screams of rehearsed PR. There's that 'Holiday 2015' again. So they can't say more but it does seem like that 'Holiday' is the duration time, or is that just me being optimistic.

Um, is this FAQ available on their tumblr/Facebook or on some other link, or is this strictly just for this forum? I mean they said on their social media there'd be a Q&A, is this it, the one they talked about holding?

Thank you for sharing, Driber.

Kubalik
22nd Aug 2014, 22:36
THX Square/Crystal. Easy decision next year - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End :P I cancel pre-order Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. Xbox is dead platform in my country.

Weemanply109
22nd Aug 2014, 22:38
Yawn. CD can try harder with the excuses next time. I only like that they finally admitted that they've been told to be hush on the situation, other than that this is nothing new.

THX Square/Crystal. Easy decision next year - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End :P I cancel pre-order Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. Xbox is dead platform in my country.

Yea, because someone pointed a gun at your head and told you to pick one or they both die. :rolleyes:

Driber
22nd Aug 2014, 22:52
Um, is this FAQ available on their tumblr/Facebook or on some other link, or is this strictly just for this forum? I mean they said on their social media there'd be a Q&A, is this it, the one they talked about holding?

Thank you for sharing, Driber.

It will be up on the blog as well. Feel free to already share, though.

Edit: It's there :)

Rai
22nd Aug 2014, 23:34
^ I was busy watching Neighbours, someone beat me to it, but thankoo anyhoo. :D

BridgetFisher
22nd Aug 2014, 23:54
I hope this means when the version comes out for other platforms eidos recognizes its fans and releases an HD version.

Tihocan
23rd Aug 2014, 00:43
I don't get it. I'm sure I read somewhat that they were excited about using the capabilities of the next gen to realise their vision. Doesn't that effectively exclude the 360?

Treeble
23rd Aug 2014, 01:10
Yup. There was talk of environments being three times bigger or something like that thanks to the new gen... I can only hope the 360 version doesn't drag the X1 version down. This game already has suffered with one too many blunders...

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 01:38
Since I am not planning on getting an Xbox One at all, well....pass. :)

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 02:27
Of course.

10/10 for humour, you have to give them that :D

mugenkb1
23rd Aug 2014, 03:18
Well, that was a sad list of FAQs. Meh, not surprised though. They better give PC and PS4 the "definitive edition" w/ all the DLCs and such. I think that's the only way to win back some fans..

FalloftheTR
23rd Aug 2014, 03:22
If this game isn't 1080p 60fps on the Xbone, then it's just a 'song and dance' type response.

Money. comes down to money.......not that I am above such things myself, but I just wish that just once, someone was honest and said, 'its about the money, *****es!!!!!'

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 03:25
If this game isn't 1080p 60fps on the Xbone, then it's just a 'song and dance' type response.

Money. comes down to money.......not that I am above such things myself, but I just wish that just once, someone was honest and said, 'its about the money, *****es!!!!!'

Word!

nodq24
23rd Aug 2014, 03:50
They obviously lied when they talked about considering the fans.

Metalrocks
23rd Aug 2014, 04:53
its good to know about the times stuff but i also feel like they lied about the fan stuff but thats a wild speculation and accusation.
still would be good to know when ruffly the other platforms will get the game but obviously M$ doesnt want CD to say officially en since they want to make sure they sell 2 or 3 more litterboxes.

but what mugenkb1 said; they should provide the whole lot then to the PS and PC to make it up.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 08:01

I would rather have 900p 30fps with more eyecandy.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 08:05
They might be "aware" but seeing dollar signs from Microsoft hasn't stopped them yet from sticking a knife in the back of those fans. For once how about a completly clean release Square/Crystal where all fans are treated the same?

Having a strong partner like MS can be beneficial for the brand. They will likely throw all their marketing might behind it and make it stand out more than it otherwise would.

But you don't care about that, all you care about is being able to play it on your machine of choice. Fine, i understand that. I also understand that for some it's a money issue but imho a "true gamer" should own both consoles (and a PC), there's just too much to miss out on if you only have one.

Driber
23rd Aug 2014, 09:26
imho a "true gamer" should own both consoles (and a PC)

I couldn't disagree more.

BlueSkiesXXV
23rd Aug 2014, 10:47
The only real question is how long is the duration & they still dodge that.

Were the fans [read...PS/PC] considered? Of course.

There you go, they really are scumbags then :(

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 10:58
I couldn't disagree more.

Totally agree with Driber!

A true gamer is anyone who enjoys games, whatever platform(s) they choose to play on.

BlueSkiesXXV
23rd Aug 2014, 11:09
-------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Elessar78
imho a "true gamer" should own both consoles (and a PC)
-------------------------------------------------------------

If that is the case, then many, like me, are not true gamers anymore (or have never been). I am a TR fan and pretty much only play Tomb Raider, Resident Evil & Uncharted. I have bought every TR game on PlayStation since 1996. I have always considered myself a bit of a TR nut. Moving it away from PlayStation is good for Xbox (a great brand) owners, but is a kick in the teeth to the PlayStation & PC fans, i.e. the majority of the freaking fanbase.

ARaider
23rd Aug 2014, 11:14
There are no real gamers...
Everyone who plays games is a gamer, imo. :P

BlueSkiesXXV
23rd Aug 2014, 11:33
Remember to keep up with the posts on the Crystal Dynamics Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crystal-Dynamics/8277214270

I have read some quality comments there & at other sites...For example, taking OUR TR from all platforms to just one is like Coldplay saying that their next album will only play on JVC CD players.

Tihocan
23rd Aug 2014, 11:39
"True gamer". What a silly term.

I say, do you own any of the consoles from the previous era? No, I don't mean a PS1/2/3.
I'm talking Master System, Super Nintendo, Atari freakin' Jaguar.
Do you own any coin-op arcade machines?

How can you call yourself a "true gamer"?

Exactly. It doesn't mean anything, to anyone other than the person calling themselves that.

Murphdawg1
23rd Aug 2014, 11:56
I think it's safe to say their decision has created alot of skeptics around here, myself included.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 12:25
I kinda knew the term "true gamer" would create some ruckus. I put it in apostrophes for a reason. Basically, i meant a person that goes where the games are, that doesn't restrict oneself to one platform.

a_big_house
23rd Aug 2014, 12:27
...that doesn't restrict oneself to one platform.

Easier said than done :rolleyes:

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 12:38
I kinda knew the term "true gamer" would create some ruckus. I put it in apostrophes for a reason. Basically, i meant a person that goes where the games are, that doesn't restrict oneself to one platform.

It's only a restriction if you are interested in games that are on other platforms.

I think anyone who doesn't have an unlimited budget makes a calculation on whether any given system is worth having. If you only want one or two games on any platform, it's not worth owning, for most.

Not having all the toys doesn't mean someone isn't a 'true gamer'.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 12:39
I'm sure the majority here that is miffed about the exclusivity deal could afford another platform. Get your priorities straight! :rasp:

pidipidi39
23rd Aug 2014, 12:42
I don't know.

The way they answered ''Of course'' when asked if they considered the fans when making this decision (probably) means that either they're joking (they don't care) or they still don't realize it.

Also, I'll quote a comment from the blog:

Please post the answer to the following on the FAQ:

What good is realizing your vision for the game if the overwhelming majority of your fans cannot play it?

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 12:43
I'm sure the majority here that is miffed about the exclusivity deal could afford another platform. Get your priorities straight! :rasp:

The priority being to suck up to the games companies, presumably?

A 'true gamer' would support fellow gamers, when the companies get things wrong.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 12:45
It's only a restriction if you are interested in games that are on other platforms.

Not having all the toys doesn't mean someone isn't a 'true gamer'.
Well, sure. I didn't have any console prior to the Xbox 360 because i didn't care for console games for the most part. Only after PC developers migrated to consoles i jumped, too. I still consider myself a "true gamer".

I think anyone who doesn't have an unlimited budget makes a calculation on whether any given system is worth having. If you only want one or two games on any platform, it's not worth owning, for most.

How about lending a console? Or buying and then selling it again. If there's a will there's (almost) always a way.

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 12:49
Well, sure. I didn't have any console prior to the Xbox 360 because i didn't care for console games for the most part. Only after PC developers migrated to consoles i jumped, too. I still consider myself a "true gamer".

I would question your credentials as a true gamer because you are taking the side of companies in the wrong over gamers in the right. That is not the mark of a true gamer.

How about lending a console? Or buying and then selling it again. If there's a will there's (almost) always a way.

Why should you have to? If a multi-platform release suddenly stops being multi-platform, is that your fault as a gamer? Of course not.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 12:54
The priority being to suck up to the games companies, presumably?

I suck up to Sony for Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream games and i'm happy that i did. Granted, that's more than one or two games, 6 to be presize. Still...

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 13:00
I suck up to Sony for Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream games and i'm happy that i did. Granted, that's more than one or two games, 6 to be presize. Still...

That's a shame.

All gamers are part of one big community. We have responsibilities to that community, don't you think? Not to be unfair to the companies, of course, but not to encourage them to be unfair to us, either.

"Balance in all things."

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 13:01
I would question your credentials as a true gamer because you are taking the side of companies in the wrong over gamers in the right. That is not the mark of a true gamer.

Why should you have to? If a multi-platform release suddenly stops being multi-platform, is that your fault as a gamer? Of course not.

Instead of complaining and making a stand which probably won't yield any results i rather try to find a solution for myself.

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 13:07
Instead of complaining and making a stand which probably won't yield any results i rather try to find a solution for myself.

Gamers standing together have produced many fine results, including getting games ported between systems and even getting major changes made to systems themselves (Do you think MS would have changed the XBone from their original set up without gamer input?).

Right now, from what we can tell, the decision to port Rise Of The Tomb Raider to any other system is far from certain. Gamers working together can help convince Square that a port would be a good thing, and thus make it more likely.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 13:13
That's a shame.

All gamers are part of one big community. We have responsibilities to that community, don't you think? Not to be unfair to the companies, of course, but not to encourage them to be unfair to us, either.

"Balance in all things."

I dunno why you bring fairness into it. Again, i can understand someone being angry about the decision but let's face it, gamers seem to be a rather entitled bunch. The companies don't owe you or me anything. It's their property. I might call it a crappy decision but i would never call it unfair.

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 13:15
I dunno why you bring fairness into it. Again, i can understand someone being angry about the decision but let's face it, gamers seem to be a rather entitled bunch. The companies don't owe you or me anything. It's their property. I might call it a crappy decision (for me) but i would never call it unfair.

Gamers can indeed be an entitled bunch. But so can games companies. I don't think it's right for either to treat the other with disdain, do you?

a_big_house
23rd Aug 2014, 13:18
EK, I don't even see why you're bothering...

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 13:19
EK, I don't even see why you're bothering...

Well, I have to try, ABH :)

Driber
23rd Aug 2014, 13:26

What you are describing is someone with unlimited wealth and no principles, not a "true gamer".

I'll assume you were just joking/trolling, because no one in their right mind would make such an ignorant statement.

Well, sure. I didn't have any console prior to the Xbox 360 because i didn't care for console games for the most part.

Then according to your own logic, you are not a true gamer. Some of the greatest games in history were released on consoles before the 360 era.

No excuses :p

Hmm yeah, you're right. If you want something bad enough, there's always a way to get it.

If you can't afford to buy flour to bake a loaf of bread, just eat brioche!

Those peasants and their "problems" always...

Too right :thumb:

Same thing with all those millions on welfare complaining about how they can't go on vacation more than once per year. Why don't they just get off their lazy butts and get a job already instead of whining!

dandins
23rd Aug 2014, 13:51
..and hopefully spring 2016 will come the full hd version for ps4 with full details/ effects.. would be just fair.

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 14:15
What you are describing is someone with unlimited wealth and no principles, not a "true gamer".

What i'm describing is a dedicated gamer (should have used that term). No one will go broke for buying another console and as i've said before there are other options. No principles? Entitlement issues much?

Then according to your own logic, you are not a true gamer.

No because i never said you should play games you don't care for. Doesn't matter how renowned those games are.

a_big_house
23rd Aug 2014, 14:20
No one will go broke for buying another console and as i've said before there are other options.

Hello! I'm 19 Y/O, ABH and in September, I'll be starting at Uni. Which means I have to pay for; my £9k course, £4k rent, food for a year, clothes (inc laundrette expenses), travel to and from my house to Uni & Uni to family home on the holidays and other mics expenses. So please, tell us again how everyone can afford £350 per damn console. It's not entitlement, it's being tossed away by the developer because their money bags have already been filled.

EDIT: Oh! That's just for 1 year, I'll be there for 3.

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 14:26
If anything, I think a "true gamer" (which I do not believe exists...the same as a "true fan") is one who will at least demo games that might fall out of their preferred genres. (An FPS gamer who is willing to try a turn based RPG, or a turn based RPG gamer who is willing to try a real-time RPG/FPS hybrid....etc.). A "true gamer" can weigh the choices put before him/her, and decide accordingly. A "true gamer" is not slavish to gaming. ("Ermagherd, I murst play ervery game ert ther!")

Unlike the so-called "true fan" who refuses to accept anything that falls out of their dogmatic view of what makes their favorite tv show/movie series/game IP so great. (example: The Star Wars prequels are not canon in my book because they suck! The Star Wars special editions suck because Greedo did not shoot first! The new Star Trek movies suck because they look like Michael Bay 'splosion fests, and are nothing like the 'real' Trek!"). Ad nauseam.

Driber
23rd Aug 2014, 14:27
What i'm describing is a dedicated gamer (should have used that term).

I guess you should have, yes. Would've saved a lot of unnecessary back-and-forths.

Alright, so not everyone is as dedicated as the next person. So what?

No one will go broke for buying another console

A huge number of people indeed cannot afford to buy luxury items such as (multiple) gaming consoles.

And yes, for a lot of people it literally means they'd go broke.

and as i've said before there are other options.

So you keep saying...

Instead of making these generalizations, why don't you post that magical list of options that you seem to think applies to every single individual's situation? ;)

No principles? Entitlement issues much?

Not at all.

Seeing things black&white much?

No because i never said you should play games you don't care for. Doesn't matter how renowned those games are.

Well then your term "dedicated gamer" shatters to pieces as well. I could just as well make the argument that if you haven't played some of the world's greatest videogames that you can't call yourself a truly dedicated gamer.

Metalrocks
23rd Aug 2014, 14:37
damn, so i am not a gamer anymore, because i play my games only on the pc.
no wait, i actually have a second hand PS2 at home that i can play tekken 5 and MK armagaeddon and a race game that me and my wife can play together.

if i would buy every console, my wife would divorce me for wasting money, which indeed would be a waste since we intent to buy a unit together. oh im sure the bank will fully understand that i want to own every gaming platform and therefor cant pay the mortgage i must pay.

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2014, 14:45
I always think it's both sad and unnecessary when people try to divide the gaming community, whether by claiming one platform is 'superior' (When all have their virtues and their problems) or that some gamers are not 'proper' gamers for whatever invented reason they can come up with.

As I think this forum proves beyond doubt, gamers come in many types, we play on many different platforms, but we all share a love of games.

That, for me, is all it takes. Love games, and you are one of us; a gamer; a part of the gaming community.

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 14:49
damn, so i am not a gamer anymore, because i play my games only on the pc.
no wait, i actually have a second hand PS2 at home that i can play tekken 5 and MK armagaeddon and a race game that me and my wife can play together.

if i would buy every console, my wife would divorce me for wasting money, which indeed would be a waste since we intent to buy a unit together. oh im sure the bank will fully understand that i want to own every gaming platform and therefor cant pay the mortgage i must pay.
Well told!

Someone once said something to the effect of: "Immersion?! I'll tell you what immersion is. Immersion is you losing your wife, falling behind on your bills, and having your house burn down around you while you're being robbed while you play a game.". (again, something to that effect.) :)

Back to the point, while exclusivity might be good for console competition, such exclusivity is only good in the likes of first party exclusives, or with exclusives where a third party is closely affiliated with the console company in question....like Bungie was (and 343 Studios) is now with M$, or like Guerilla Games or Naughty Dog might be with Sony. When exclusivity extends to third parties that are known for being multi-platform for so long....then things get spicey dicey.

@Elliot Kane. Well told! :)

Ashwind
23rd Aug 2014, 14:58
Hmm the bull:) in the FAQ is very strong. Okay i get that you made a deal, we all know it was at least 90% for the money but why do you insult our intelligence with the answers. I mean the answer to question 4, i mean seriously, do you think people buy that at all. Its like you want to get us more angry and annoyed with you...

Protip is to fire all people working with PR at CD and get some people who at least has some sense for how to address people with out sounding like a :)hat.

Which reminds me, got to cancel my preorder for the game...

Metalrocks
23rd Aug 2014, 15:35
Well told!

Someone once said something to the effect of: "Immersion?! I'll tell you what immersion is. Immersion is you losing your wife, falling behind on your bills, and having your house burn down around you while you're being robbed while you play a game.". (again, something to that effect.) :)

Back to the point, while exclusivity might be good for console competition, such exclusivity is only good in the likes of first party exclusives, or with exclusives where a third party is closely affiliated with the console company in question....like Bungie was (and 343 Studios) is now with M$, or like Guerilla Games or Naughty Dog might be with Sony. When exclusivity extends to third parties that are known for being multi-platform for so long....then things get spicey dicey.

@Elliot Kane. Well told! :)

they sure do get heated up with this decision. good partnership with M$ or not, its still insulting never the less for the community.

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 16:55
they sure do get heated up with this decision. good partnership with M$ or not, its still insulting never the less for the community.
Couldn't agree more. :)

Error96_
23rd Aug 2014, 17:39
That was the most uninformative Q and A ever. Decent questions but the response to every question was total patronising corporate speak with no information. CD's recent PR is a total disgrace and the TR fanbase deserve miles better. The answers to 4 and 5 show absolutely no idea how the fans feel about this issue.

It's like a tourism board saying come visit our attraction and the first question is 'what is it?' Answer 'A tourist attraction'. Why would we want to see it 'because it's a tourist attraction' when is it open 'no idea but it's a good tourist attraction'.

Murphdawg1
23rd Aug 2014, 17:50
That was the most uninformative Q and A ever. Decent questions but the response to every question was total patronising corporate speak with no information. CD's recent PR is a total disgrace and the TR fanbase deserve miles better. The answers to 4 and 5 show absolutely no idea how the fans feel about this issue.

It's like a tourism board saying come visit our attraction and the first question is 'what is it?' Answer 'A tourist attraction'. Why would we want to see it 'because it's a tourist attraction' when is it open 'no idea but it's a good tourist attraction'.

They've tied themselves in so many legal knots that all their answers will be non answers.

RaiderSean
23rd Aug 2014, 21:42
Well here's a thought. Just because it is exclusive to Xbox during it's temporary duration that doesn't mean that they can't work on Rise Of The Tomb Raider during that time and release it for PC and PS4 right as the timed duration ends.

Gator4Life
23rd Aug 2014, 23:31
I can see why CD and Eidos took the deal, of course it's money. But I also think the suits at CD and Eidos know what also is releasing in holiday 2015 on PS4... UC4 of course. I wouldn't want to compete with that either. I mean how in the world can a cross-gen TR compete with a that? Instead they get out of UC4's way and release 3-6 months after.

With that said I still don't agree with CD and Eidos' decision. Sure I'll wait for this game to come to PS4 and yes I will buy it. But... I will buy it USED.

Pandemonium
24th Aug 2014, 00:30
So these "answers" really don't answer anything and are just more PR talk. :/
I always respected and loved CD games since your PS1 days.
But this $$ deal with MS is just BAD in long term!

This WILL hurt the TR franchise more then the money will help you.
Because you pissed off the VAST majority of your very fanbase!!!
And a dev/publisher really should NEVER do that.
I have no doubt you already noticed the anger and ****storm you managed to create with this cash deal. :)

Tell us IF and WHEN a PS4 / PC version will come!
This situation is unacceptable for your longtime fans!
And you know it!
You just dance around the inconvenient truth.

I hope you will come to regret this deal - so that MS with their endless money-hatting and others will never do such a thing to a long running multi-platform franchise ever again.

I for one have now decided, I will not support you, Crystal Dynamics or
Square Enix anymore with ANY money as long as you treat your fans like this!

I hope many do the same.

I was looking forward to Temple of Osiris but I will pass on it until you give us the answers we want.

And IF TR never comes to PS4 rest assured you will never ever see any money from me again. I will play your new TR game, yes, because I AM a fan, but I will get it used or in whatever way so that SE and CD don't see a Cent!

Because in the end, talk is cheap but not getting our money WILL hurt you and teach a lesson.
Thanks.

Sorry if I sounded a bit angry, it's because I am!
You had your fans in mind... LOL pfff worst LIE ever.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
24th Aug 2014, 01:33
Why do CD even bother doing and Q&A if they are going to answer questions like that? Crystal really need a new PR team and community rep because the tone of what they are saying is so out of touch. They shouldn't being so 'focused' on 'delivering a great game' for a just small fraction of TR gamers but instead start focusing on how to deliver a great game for all of us to enjoy and support.

NSW_pride
24th Aug 2014, 02:00
This FAQ is really useful. NOT :rolleyes:

Metalrocks
24th Aug 2014, 10:42
M$ must be holding a gun at CDs head for not telling how long this timed exclusive last. because if CD would consider their fans they could have said to M$:
thanks for the lots of money. it sure will help the production but we are still going to release it on every platform next year because thats what we do and we do not like to aggravate our fans.
besides; your console is not selling so well to be honest.

i can understand certain policies but not being able to tell us how long the rest has to wait to play it, thats just insulting :mad: . hell, even ubisoft back then were able to tell early on when the pc version will be released after the release of the console version. and i highly doubt sony and M$ told ubi that their version should be exclusive.

Weemanply109
24th Aug 2014, 10:56
i can understand certain policies but not being able to tell us how long the rest has to wait to play it, thats just insulting :mad: . hell, even ubisoft back then were able to tell early on when the pc version will be released after the release of the console version. and i highly doubt sony and M$ told ubi that their version should be exclusive.

Ubisoft are no better, tbh. They lied about the PC version being delayed every year. I still remember that LOL worthy gamespy interview. :lol:

GameSpy :So when's the PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: October 30th.

GameSpy: Yeah, but when's the real PC release date?

Ubisoft PR: It's October 30th.

GameSpy: Uh huh. And can you say that with a straight face?

Ubisoft PR: You can ask me as many times as you like, but the answer will be the same.

GameSpy: Very well, let's move on. So, when will you announce the delay of the PC version?

Ubisoft PR: ...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/assassins-creed-2012/1221571p1.html

:lol: Wasn't too long after that they delayed by almost a month :lol:

Metalrocks
24th Aug 2014, 11:47
ah yes, i know that interview. :lol: really hilarious.
im not saying that ubi was accurate but at least they announced it that it will be delayed.
still remember that revelations was out all of a sudden and no announcement was made. just saw it suddenly on steam. a lot of people were surprised by this as well.

motoleo
24th Aug 2014, 12:15
People stood in line to get the Xbox One... I mean, they had Xbox lamborghinis on Times Square. They had a big countdown and everything. It's hard to imagine any lack of fanfare for the Rise of the Tomb Raider launch. I hope they still have the cardboard standups, and preorder incentives. By the time 2015 rolls around though, there will be more games coming out for Xbox than anything.

Rai
24th Aug 2014, 12:28
M$ must be holding a gun at CDs head for not telling how long this timed exclusive last. because if CD would consider their fans they could have said to M$:
thanks for the lots of money. it sure will help the production but we are still going to release it on every platform next year because thats what we do and we do not like to aggravate our fans.
besides; your console is not selling so well to be honest.

What, take MS's money and run? I like it! However, I'm pretty sure MS gave them that big cheque for the timed exclusive deal.

I do think it's ruddy ridiculous that CD have tied themselves so tight they can't even say there will be PS4/PC versions once the duration ends. Even if they can't say when.

Metalrocks
24th Aug 2014, 12:45
What, take MS's money and run? I like it! However, I'm pretty sure MS gave them that big cheque for the timed exclusive deal.

I do think it's ruddy ridiculous that CD have tied themselves so tight they can't even say there will be PS4/PC versions once the duration ends. Even if they can't say when.

and that is the worrying part. no mention how long it is and if we get these versions. i just hope thats just a paranoia we all have now and we it will come out regardless.

Weemanply109
24th Aug 2014, 13:23
People stood in line to get the Xbox One...

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/ac0b9d24b5a9a5dc3f22d09ad266a9ec/tumblr_nacvcfHcDT1rs3mr7o8_250.gif

Not as many as the Playstation 4, but. ;)

I mean, they had Xbox lamborghinis on Times Square.

Microsoft is known for paying up big for marketing. You'll see M$ products sprawled across TV shows (XB1, Surface Tablets, Windows 8, etc). It's the cash from M$'s pockets that are on display here, not fandom.

It's hard to imagine any lack of fanfare for the Rise of the Tomb Raider launch. I hope they still have the cardboard standups, and preorder incentives. By the time 2015 rolls around though, there will be more games coming out for Xbox than anything.

There's little to no chance of the deal being reversed, and I want TR to be successful, so I don't really mind if the Xbox version sells if it helps the franchise. Hopefully the deal does work and makes this drama atleast worth something. :nut: Do 'ditto' to that. ;)

Gator4Life
24th Aug 2014, 14:36
There's little to no chance of the deal being reversed, and I want TR to be successful, so I don't really mind if the Xbox version sells if it helps the franchise. Hopefully the deal does work and makes this drama atleast worth something. :nut: Do 'ditto' to that. ;)

I agree with you there... I want TR to be a successful franchise as well. But I can't say the same for this timed exclusive deal. I don't want to see other lifelong multiplat games make this same type of timed exclusive deal, whether it be with Sony or MS.

RosePetals
24th Aug 2014, 18:51
Been saving up for a PS4 and a new TV these past few months so I could play ROTTR. But after this (timed-exclusive) announcement...

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/d2/d2ec6f44cc549c1131d8be579980f39c5c34bbbe7ed3ca7d6fe782eb948a92ad.jpg

(I'll be changing my banner to an Assassin's Creed: Unity sig as a form of protest.)

But who am I kidding. I'm just one very, very pissed off fan.

dandins
28th Aug 2014, 20:12
crystal dynamics did an awesome first job with TR13' ..the singleplayer was so intense because lara was so much "human" (and cute). The multiplayer was great and i hope they keep it and improve it even more.

its so sad.. considering that the ps4 would be able to deliver much better graphics.. I dont think CD will leave their PS4 fans behind and sooner or later they give us something real stunning..(hopefully)

And not even that exlusivity thing will make me buying a console from a company that wanted to screw us all.. one year ago.

Galactus123
28th Aug 2014, 20:22

http://i.imgur.com/zhlJZ8Z.gif

Tihocan
29th Aug 2014, 04:35
width=250
*clicks Like*

On topic: "Hey, here's some halfarsed answers to your oft-asked questions".

Someone wake me up when they do. :zzZ:

Lord Martok
29th Aug 2014, 05:38
width=250
*clicks Like*

On topic: "Hey, here's some halfarsed answers to your oft-asked questions".

Someone wake me up when they do. :zzZ:

Pssst....hey....wake up...it's....

...oh....never mind. False alarm.

:D