PDA

View Full Version : Xbox boss Phil Spencer makes case for exclusivity deal

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 12:07
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-18-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-makes-case-for-tomb-raider-exclusivity-deal

Xbox boss Phil Spencer makes case for Tomb Raider exclusivity deal
"It doesn't come from an evil space."

It dominated last week's Gamescom and sparked thousands of comments on the internet.

In the 24 hours after Microsoft announced Xbox exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-12-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-exclusive-to-xbox-one), forums raged. How could publisher Square Enix and developer Crystal Dynamics sell out? And wouldn't moneybags Microsoft be better off spending its cash on making its own games, rather than denying PlayStation and PC gamers the chance to play what will probably be one of 2015's biggest games?

All throughout there was a nagging feeling that Rise of the Tomb Raider wouldn't be exclusive to Xbox for all time after all, and that had to do with the wording of Microsoft's messaging: "Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, exclusive to Xbox."

The day after the night before we asked Phil Spencer, the boss of Xbox, about the deal and what, exactly, it meant. He confirmed to us it had a duration (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration), and after that duration expires, who knows what Square Enix will do. It's their game.

We reported that confirmation shortly after we received it, as we felt it was important that our readers knew the nature of Rise of the Tomb Raider's exclusivity as quickly as possible. But it came as part of a sweeping discussion about the deal - and why Microsoft went for it.

Here is that discussion.

Were you expecting the force of the negative reaction to the announcement? Or did it come as a surprise?

Phil Spencer: I don't know that it's been a surprise. I knew we were going to have to talk about the whole story. And you don't get to do that on stage. On stage you have your moment, with Darrell [Gallagher, head of Crystal Dynamics] there, we're talking about the franchise, what it means, how excited we are by the next release and that it's coming to Xbox exclusively. That's an important point for us.

But if you rewind, we started our relationship on this franchise before this release. They've been on our stage at E3 for a few years now. Obviously it's a franchise that has lived for longer than Xbox. It's lived on other platforms. So the relationship has been built over time. The one thing people have to know, it wasn't a situation where we looked at a third-party space and just all of a sudden targeted a certain game and said, 'we need to go get that game.' It's a relationship we've built. If you read Crystal Dynamics' blog post (http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update), it talks about the relationship we've built.

When you start looking at franchises out there, the one I draw an analogy to is Dead Rising. Our partnership with Capcom around Dead Rising has been good for Dead Rising. We've been able to invest and to raise - maybe it's a bit egotistical - the notoriety of that franchise.

Crystal has been investing in that game and Square has as well, in Tomb Raider as a franchise, and wanting to put it at the highest level, with the big triple-A franchises out there, but that's expensive. For us, as we've been working together on this, it's a nice franchise for us in terms of the genre and how it fits into our first-party portfolio. Do I wish I had an owned IP first-party action adventure game? Absolutely. But I don't right now. This is one that fits well and we had such a good working relationship with them.

And they want to build that game up to the same level as any of the huge triple-A games out there. It used to a big dominant game. Crystal has done a great job in rebuilding it since '09, when they started kickstarting it, but continuing to invest at that level, it takes a partnership.

When people look at something like Dead Rising and where it is right now, I would say for the franchise it's been a good partnership. Now, maybe somebody on PlayStation would say, well no it hasn't, because I haven't played the game. But if I'm Capcom and I think about what that franchise means now... or even like a Titanfall, and our ability to invest with EA to make that launch great. Tomb Raider is no different.

Now, obviously if I'm going to partner on it, I'm a platform holder, I'm hardly going to invest to go make the PlayStation version of any game. It is a business. So when we go invest with a partner on a big franchise, we're going to come with certain needs we have out of the relationship.

But the thing people should take away, it's been a relationship we built over many years, and the partnership has been strong and we want to help make the franchise great. But if we're going to do that there are certain things to us as a platform holder we're going to do.

I don't own the IP. So then when certain people start talking to me about, well, what is the future of the Tomb Raider franchise, it's not really something I can talk to. Just like if you were going to ask me what's going on with Dead Rising 6, I don't own that. So, when people want me to say, well can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job. My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced. And I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

I think it's a win/win. It's good for us. We've got certain needs out of it. I think it could be good for them. And, frankly - and I know a lot of people won't like this but I'll say it - I think it can be good for the franchise and good for gaming all up, because it's a franchise that's meant something, and we're going to be able to work with them and invest and try to put the marketing and everything else at a level, and we're active in working with them on the development of the game as well, to try to make it one of those franchises that stands out.

The last release was great, and I want this one to be as big if not bigger than anything they've ever done with the game. Again, I don't own it. So in the long run, where that franchise goes and everything else, that'll be theirs to drive. But this was an interesting opportunity for us. So when they came to us with the opportunity to do something, absolutely it was something we looked at hard and it worked out, and I'm glad it did.

So it was something Square Enix approached you about to see whether you would be up for it, essentially?

Phil Spencer: You've got to remember, we talk all the time. '09 was the first time we had them on our E3 stage. They were on our stage this year. They were on our stage last year. We've worked with them for many years. So it's not even like a conversation that's new to us. We've got an ongoing relationship with Crystal around this franchise.

They've seen what we've done with certain games out there that aren't ours. Ryse is another IP. I don't own the Ryse IP, but I was able to invest with Crytek to turn it into a franchise, which isn't easy to do for a studio on their own. I don't own it. They just announced it for PC, and certain people throw stones at me and say, 'you shouldn't let it go out on PC.' I'm like, look, I want Crytek to make money. I want Crytek to be successful. Why would I ever block them from doing something with a game they own?

I'm glad to be able to work with them. I think it's healthy. In terms of who came... it's just an ongoing conversation of what can we do next? At some point from our standpoint the investment becomes big enough that we're going to want to get something out of the conversation and the relationship. That's true with any game we have, whether it's one of our internal games, whether it's Sunset, Ryse, Dead Rising, or something like Tomb Raider.

It really was nothing against any other platform. It's just looking at our portfolio next holiday and saying, this is a great game for us, and we can go really big with it. If we look back on the franchise and this release, it can raise the elevation of what it means in gaming. I'll be happy to be part of that.

We've got to go build a great game. Crystal is a great studio to do that. They're going to focus on that. The partnership with Square around publishing this game, that's going to be strong. I feel good about the past with this franchise.

I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person I feel like, oh, all of a sudden the franchise is going. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time - just like Dead Rising or something else - we'll see where these things go. Just like Ryse. We'll see what happens with the games. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

But for us and this opportunity, I think it was a good opportunity for us to partner on this game. And I think it can be a win/win.

The other aspect to the reaction had to do with the wording of the description of the deal, which was specific. People were wondering whether this game would eventually launch on other platforms. What is the nature of the exclusivity you've secured?

Phil Spencer: I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms, so I'm just not the person to talk to. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have.

So exactly what is the deal you have?

Phil Spencer: I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox.

Is that Xbox One only?

Phil Spencer: Let me clarify that one. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I want to be clear on that. It is on 360 and Xbox One, and people should take that away. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I just don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have.

I know obviously 360 and Xbox One. I know that part of it. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes. I don't.

But do you have a timeframe you've agreed upon in terms of the exclusivity you have? Do you have the exclusivity for a certain amount of time? That's what our readers are asking us to try to find out.

Phil Spencer: Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise.

Can you say how long the duration is?

Phil Spencer: No. And it's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me, how much did we pay? There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and them.

But when people talk to me about Tomb Raider on other platforms, like I said, it's an area I don't feel like it's my position to talk about. I don't own the rights to it on any other platform. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity. But it's a real interesting opportunity for us next holiday with our lineup. We've got Halo 5 coming. We showed Quantum Break. To talk about a 2015 release of Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 and Xbox One is great.

Can you understand why there are questions around the nature of your exclusivity deal?

Phil Spencer: I want you to ask me, because I want to get this story out there. This whole thing that, like we just somehow found something that Sony fans love and said hey, if we just drop millions of dollars then they can't go play the game, that's not how it played out.

I'll just put it this way: other people could have done this deal. There was nothing about us that said, we were the only people would could do this deal. If another publisher, another platform wanted to go do this deal, it's a business deal. There's nothing we did somebody else could not have done.

Certain people say, well, nobody else would do a deal like that. Deals like this do happen. It was a great opportunity for us, and of course I'm going to take advantage of that.

In part is it about having an answer to Uncharted 4? The comparison between the last Tomb Raider and Uncharted has been made.

Phil Spencer: Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity.

People push me as the content guy, shouldn't it all be about the content you're building? I want to own all of the hits on our platform. Well, not all of them - that's too much. But I want to have a stable of hits on our platform that we own. Absolutely. That's fundamental to us having a successful platform. When a unique opportunity comes up, I've got to go look at that. And this was a unique opportunity.

People have asked me before about IP we own, and they'll say, you own all the IP you publish. I'm explicit about it: that's a goal but there will be situations where we don't, and we've talked about those. Ryse is a situation where we don't own the IP.

But yeah, when you think about our portfolio, if it was a sci-fi shooter, I probably wouldn't do that! I've got one of those! Or if it's a Gears competitor, or a Forza competitor, there are things I wouldn't go after. But this is one that clearly fit in our portfolio really well. That's definitely part of the analysis. I want to be a good partner. I wouldn't be a good partner to Crystal and Square if I had a game I thought was directly competitive with this in the timeframe, and I didn't.

The games business today is an expensive business to be in. If you're going to build shows like this, and IP and marketing budgets, in certain instances a partnership is a good way for a publisher to find a way to get to the level they think they need to break out. Just look at this year and the October lineup. It's crazy. If you're one of the people who wants to make noise around the game you have, there are opportunities out there to partner with platform holders, with sponsorships and other things to make it big. This was one of those opportunities for Crystal and Square, and I think it can help take Tomb Raider and make it even bigger. We want it to be big, given what we have coming to the Xbox in the way it is.

I knew there would be some push back when we came out. Certain people won't believe this: it doesn't come from an evil space. It comes from a space where there's an opportunity that maps really well with what we need in terms of the genre, and a partner that's looking for a partnership. Other people can do the deal, but it was a deal that fit well with us. And I think it could help the franchise in the long run and help Crystal and Square and us.

Big games are good for our industry, and if we can make games bigger, in the long run, that's healthy. This business, the console gaming business, only stays healthy if people are all making money. It's a hits driven business, so 30 per cent of the things will go great, and 70 per cent of the things won't. But if you're a mid-sized publisher or an independent studio, you've got to take advantage of opportunities.

I don't know that all the press get that. Or all the community. Maybe they shouldn't have to. But when people start saying, somebody sold out this or sold out that, it's not an easy business to be in. If you've got an opportunity to make something you're working on bigger and to be more successful and grow the value of something you own... if you're Crytek and you've got Ryse and you're thinking, okay, doing a first-party deal at launch and what does that mean? People say the word Ryse now and everybody knows what it is. Crytek tries to go do that on their own, it's just more challenging if they're only using their own money. If we work on it together, it helps. That's something people have to keep in mind. This business isn't an easy business. The big things get bigger, and you want to be on that end if you own things.

So, I'm happy with the partnership. But I knew there would be... there are two sides: you've got the Xbox guys - I hope the Xbox guys are happy we have another game coming to Xbox they can play. But I don't want anybody to be happy that somebody else isn't playing the game. I don't look at the war that way. I just want gaming on Xbox to be great. I'm not trying to push gaming down on any other platform. Clearly, I'm not going to invest in something to make games great on other platforms. Windows stuff I will. But not on stuff on other consoles. That's 101. This wasn't an attack against anybody else. It was an opportunity that came up for us that fit really well.

JaxGames
18th Aug 2014, 12:20
Phill: "Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk."
ME: GO AND MAKE ONE INSTEAD OF TAKING 3RD PARTY FRANCHISES!!!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/187/a/8/lara_facepalm_by_gunman_productions-d565x5x.jpg

Valenka
18th Aug 2014, 12:23
Phill: "Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk."

Good job leaving out the rest of that response. ;)

Phil Spencer: Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Can you understand why there are questions around the nature of your exclusivity deal?

Phil Spencer: I want you to ask me, because I want to get this story out there. This whole thing that, like we just somehow found something that Sony fans love and said hey, if we just drop millions of dollars then they can't go play the game, that's not how it played out.

I'll just put it this way: other people could have done this deal. There was nothing about us that said, we were the only people would could do this deal. If another publisher, another platform wanted to go do this deal, it's a business deal. There's nothing we did somebody else could not have done.

Very interesting response. And later goes on to say...

I knew there would be some push back when we came out. Certain people won't believe this: it doesn't come from an evil space. It comes from a space where there's an opportunity that maps really well with what we need in terms of the genre, and a partner that's looking for a partnership. Other people can do the deal, but it was a deal that fit well with us. And I think it could help the franchise in the long run and help Crystal and Square and us.

Sounds like Microsoft does in fact pay attention to what people say about them, even on these very forums perhaps...which is a little creepy.

JaxGames
18th Aug 2014, 12:54

Your welcome :lol:

Metalrocks
18th Aug 2014, 13:08

love it :thumb:

@interview
ok, i can understand why he will not say how much they have payed. but he could have at least said a very ruff time frame like maybe: some time in 2016.

well, thanks for the interview. its even clearer now why they do it. so i hope that CD and SE will deliver the game for the PS and PC.

Murphdawg1
18th Aug 2014, 14:22
Phil you're a fool. Xbox players would have gotten to play it regardless. All you did was deprive others of playing it.

_Ninja_
18th Aug 2014, 14:31
He also says he doesn't own Ryse and Dead Rising 3 and doesn't determine where they go... I call bull****.

Those games won't make it to PS4 and that's because of Microsoft. If it is the same deal for TR...

Valenka
18th Aug 2014, 16:21
Your welcome :lol:

I can see why, though. There's no excuse; the fact of the matter is, if they are working on competitive IPs against Uncharted, focus on them (they might actually be good games) and leave other franchises alone.

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 16:23
I can see why, though. There's no excuse; the fact of the matter is, if they are working on competitive IPs against Uncharted, focus on them (they might actually be good games) and leave other franchises alone.

That's fair comment and its possible that MS would agree, but MS need something now to push sales.

pidipidi39
18th Aug 2014, 16:41
But how can they make a bigger and greater game if they're gonna be held back by last gen? I don't get why they're releasing it on Xbox 360...

Also, it may not have be an ''evil'' move, but it has surely been an egoistic move.

Clearly, I'm not going to invest in something to make games great on other platforms. Windows stuff I will. But not on stuff on other consoles.
Wait, I don't get this. Is he confirming a PC version here?

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 16:50
But how can they make a bigger and greater game if they're gonna be held back by last gen? I don't get why they're releasing it on Xbox 360...

This is a valid point. I haven't played the DE so can't compare it to the Xbox 360 version, but as all 3 platforms are more tied by their PC architecture I think there is more of a distinction between them and last gen where the divide between PC, 360 and PS3 was more pronounced. What I am getting at is if they are developing a PC one anyway then its easy to transfer that to XB1/PS4 and the 360/PS3 versions won't impact the new-gen.

mmm. I'm not sure about that. I think what he is doing is reinforcing that his interest is in MS only and not Sony/Nintendo, but it could be a veiled reference at a stretch.

Valenka
18th Aug 2014, 16:50
That's fair comment and its possible that MS would agree, but MS need something now to push sales.

True, and they figured that investing in Tomb Raider along with helping it be as big and grand to compete with the more popular franchises on the table today, they may do just that.

I just hope this is the last time they do something like this and instead, focus on their own IPs.

I wouldn't say they're being held back by the last generation, because they clearly aren't making it so big and great that it's too powerful for the Xbox 360. If they were, it would be on Xbox One only, not the 360 as well.

It's being released on Xbox 360 because the console is still widely supported; games are still being released for Xbox 360 and PS3 and the consoles haven't yet been discontinued. Not everyone has the current-gen consoles yet and Microsoft won't alienate a percentage of their customers if it means a potential revenue increase in lieu of a cross-gen release.

I'm going to go ahead and say no, to avoid getting anyone's hopes up, but it's safe to say he neither confirmed nor denied it.

DrCroft
18th Aug 2014, 17:18
I can see where they were coming from, not that I believe MS were correct in what they did, but I can see why they did it.

However most of what I can see from this is MS wishing they had Uncharted, so they tied TR to xbox (if only for a period of time) until they come up with their own first party action adventure game. Then MS will possibly drop TR.

Elliot Kane
18th Aug 2014, 17:19
Well, having read the whole thing, I can honestly say I read it as: "Don't blame us, blame Square!"

Which is fair enough, as I was doing that anyway :D

There's one matter that Phil raises which I'd like to take issue with, though: "Big games are good for the industry." On the contrary, I think that the major concentration on huge Triple-A titles is slowly killing the industry. All it takes is a couple of these games which cost tens or even hundreds of millions to make to flop, and companies go under, leaving the industry poorer as a result. Because of the massive costs, it also means more and more small independent studios are being bought up by the huge monoliths, who tend to strip them of their unique character (Not always deliberately, I hasten to add, but it happens).

What I think would be far healthier is if the game industry took a leaf out of the film industry's book. Rather than concentrate on making every film a massively expensive blockbuster, film companies tend to make a lot of smaller and much lower budget films, too. They are faster and cheaper to produce than the blockbusters, and almost always they make a lot less money, but they are a steady source of income and profits that will help to keep the company going while it makes the blockbusters.

That, to me, would be the sensible approach for games companies to take, too.

lilrican
18th Aug 2014, 20:35
Xbox it's called making your own ip not stealing an existing one. All that money and you can't get writers or designers to make your own uncharted?

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 20:37
Xbox it's called making your own ip not stealing an existing one. All that money and you can't get writers or designers to make your own uncharted?

Maybe they can but not in the timeframe that they need. You can't dev a Triple A game in 18 months.

JaxGames
18th Aug 2014, 20:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUDqeXVgoOE&list=UUjBp_7RuDBUYbd1LegWEJ8g

Payback? Phil Spencer Accepts the ALS #IceBucketChallenge ...

Elessar78
18th Aug 2014, 21:17
I for one like Phil Spencer, he's a gamer, not just a suit. He's surprisingly frank in interviews, as frank as one in his position can be. And he seems to be very hands-on, engaging with people on Twitter. Thank God they got rid of Don Mattrick.

I can understand people saying MS with all the money, why can't they make their own IPs. Sometimes i think similarly. Evidently, making great games is tough, you can't just will a GOTY into existence, it takes a lot of talent, the right ideas and a bit of luck as well i guess. I suspect MS wasn't as much focused towards building their own studios because they didn't need to during 360's reign. The situation has turned, they need to catch up with PS4 sales. I hope that brings a change within the company. Coz the more awesome IPs, the better for gamers.

icepopshot
18th Aug 2014, 21:23
Now, obviously if I'm going to partner on it, I'm a platform holder, I'm hardly going to invest to go make the PlayStation version of any game. It is a business.

Clearly, I'm not going to invest in something to make games great on other platforms. Windows stuff I will. But not on stuff on other consoles. That's 101. This wasn't an attack against anybody else. It was an opportunity that came up for us that fit really well.

I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square..

These replies from Phil Spencer don't sound promising for the PS4. I'm worried. Time to say good bye to Lara?

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 21:27
These replies from Phil Spencer don't sound promising for the PS4. I'm worried. Time to say good bye to Lara?

No. No. No.

nodq24
18th Aug 2014, 21:36
Phil might be better than Don Mattrick, but he seems not to care about TR's fanbase.

icepopshot
18th Aug 2014, 21:41
No. No. No.

Well it doesn't look bad for a later PC Version. But PS4 seems unlikely for me after reading the interview. I wont buy a Xbox1. So bye Lara, bye CD and SE. :eek:

Valenka
18th Aug 2014, 21:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUDqeXVgoOE&list=UUjBp_7RuDBUYbd1LegWEJ8g

Payback? Phil Spencer Accepts the ALS #IceBucketChallenge ...

I don't know how raising awareness for a great cause is considered payback. :scratch:

Murphdawg1
18th Aug 2014, 21:53
What's odd is he seems quite defensive about the whole thing "My feelings have been hurt because of what those mean Playstation and PC gamers have said about me."

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 21:54
Well it doesn't look bad for a later PC Version. But PS4 seems unlikely for me after reading the interview. Xbox1 is out of question for me. So bye Lara, bye CD and SE. :eek:

You are being too hasty basing that assumption on this one article. Try reading this thread for all the reasons why it will be on all platforms:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2031819&postcount=1067

I have started you off some way into the thread, so read the OP as well!

Valenka
18th Aug 2014, 21:59
What's odd is he seems quite defensive about the whole thing "My feelings have been hurt because of what those mean Playstation and PC gamers have said about me."

Well, don't forget, he's on the other side of the coin. His opinion is that the exclusivity deal isn't problematic, foreboding or necessarily a bad thing. He's going to defend his employer (possibly because he has to, as a part of his job) and the decision because he feels like it was a good move for business.

Murphdawg1
18th Aug 2014, 22:04
Well, don't forget, he's on the other side of the coin. His opinion is that the exclusivity deal isn't problematic, foreboding or necessarily a bad thing. He's going to defend his employer (possibly because he has to, as a part of his job) and the decision because he feels like it was a good move for business.

Of course he believes that because Xbox owners weren't the ones screwed over. If the shoe was on the other foot and Sony did something similar with a big AAA game like AC or Batman or COD i'm sure he would be livid. Xbox owners still would have gotten this game without the deal, all it's done is screw over other players.

Also Square/Crystal and with an assist from Microsoft seriously just depressed the hype of this game. Everyone was looking forward to it now any info that does get put out it will be hard not to just go "meh whatever".

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 22:33
Did he just REALLY REALLY REALLY confirm a 360 version?

I know that it's arguable on whether or not a old-gen title hold back a game, but when I listen to AC3 dev commentary and they say they had to remove simple things such as falling plants/items during platforming because of the old console's memory limitations then it has me worried about what they'll have to reduce or rid off to make this game equal (gameplay wise).

I'm praying that they FOCUS solely on next-gen hardware and then PORT back to the 360 and/or PS3. PC/Xbone/PS4 need to be focused on firstly to make sure that their vision is paid justice.

Error96_
18th Aug 2014, 22:57
I have to admire how open he is about the deal and a lot better interaction than from Crystal. It seems very clear that it is CD themselves who are at fault for taking the MS offers and it's only going to be them seeing sense that will save the TR franchise.

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 22:59
...or maybe this deal IS SAVING the franchise? We don't really know (Spoiler: I never read the full interview tl;dr).

I understand he's in no position to speak for Crystal regarding the PS4/PC versions, he's not the developer, but I'm pretty sure his tight lip attitude on the matter speaks for itself, I'm sure during the negotiation stages of this agreement, Crystal or M$ would have discussed other platform versions and how to handle them. M$ and CD are PLAYING and I ain't buying it. PC and PS4 is getting this game. I believe it.

Rai
18th Aug 2014, 22:59
So, okay, this is an extension of the earlier interview going into more detail. So the Xbox exclusive has a 'duration'/is timed. And MS don't own the ip and MS can't stop CD developing Rise on other platforms, but the exclusive means the game will release on XBox platforms [first] (Holiday 2015). Okay, I got that bit. I also understand that neither MS nor SE/CD are willing to go into details about their deal, that's their prerogative (for now) I guess.

What I don't understand is, what is stopping SE/CD from saying 'okay we are developing RotTR on PS3, 4/PC and these versions will be released....eventually. unfortunately we cannot, at this time, disclose how long this duration is nor give a release window. We will keep TR fans updated...'. I dunno, maybe they're under obligation to MS to keep quiet about the timed deal for now so really can't say much about that. But why not at least give PS/PC fans a small nugget, even if it's 'don't worry'. MS can't stop them making these other versions, so presumably they can't stop CD talking about them. There's a year+ to go before RotTR is released on the Xboxes, I'd hate to think we'll have to wait until then. CD gave that poorly worded blog post and then nothing. Another more in depth statement could go some way into improving fan relations. Just give a little CD/SE.

Murphdawg1
18th Aug 2014, 23:00
What I don't get is they have had years to make an action adventure game on par with Uncharted yet they keep doing deals with Square and Crystal for Tomb Raider.

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 23:04
@Rai:

PR regarding this issue is obviously going to be part of the deal. They've probably been told to handle the situation in a certain way that leads people to allude that there's reason to doubt a PS4/PC version for the sake of confusing and pushing the on-the-fence consumers to jump with the Xbox One. If they did announce a PC/PS4 version it would kill all purpose of this deal. Most people would wait. The whole "what if" part of this is what CD and MS can use against us to make people give in to it. Otherwise it's pointless.

WinterSoldierLTE
18th Aug 2014, 23:08
"They just announced it for PC, and certain people throw stones at me and say, 'you shouldn't let it go out on PC.' I'm like, look, I want Crytek to make money. I want Crytek to be successful. Why would I ever block them from doing something with a game they own?"

Heh. Would I be correct in assuming "Ryse" is Window's only, and not Mac?

Elliot Kane
18th Aug 2014, 23:12
No offence to Mac users, but Mac is not really a gaming platform. Anyone buying a Mac and expecting to be able to run most PC games is fooling themselves.

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 23:44
Ditto to that! :lol: Aren't Macs limited to upgrade? Especially the iMac ones.

People, if you want to game, get Windows or switch to Linux.

Rai
18th Aug 2014, 23:44
@Rai:

PR regarding this issue is obviously going to be part of the deal. They've probably been told to handle the situation in a certain way that leads people to allude that there's reason to doubt a PS4/PC version for the sake of confusing and pushing the on-the-fence consumers to jump with the Xbox One. If they did announce a PC/PS4 version it would kill all purpose of this deal. Most people would wait. The whole "what if" part of this is what CD and MS can use against us to make people give in to it. Otherwise it's pointless.

So what you're saying is, it would be counter productive and possibly damaging for the deal if CD/SE were to say anything about potential PS/PC releases, at least for the time being. I suppose. But keeping gamers/fans in the dark is damaging their fan relations and their reputation as a developer, so the deal isn't doing SE/CD any really favours PR wise. Well, not the deal itself, rather the PR surrounding it so far.

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 23:45
Of course he believes that because Xbox owners weren't the ones screwed over. If the shoe was on the other foot and Sony did something similar with a big AAA game like AC or Batman or COD i'm sure he would be livid. Xbox owners still would have gotten this game without the deal, all it's done is screw over other players.
So by extension the fact that Sony execs aren't "livid" shows how lovely Sony are and what a bunch of nasties MS are? I still don't get that people are saying they have been "screwed over". It's like you were promised something and then it was taken away.

Also Square/Crystal and with an assist from Microsoft seriously just depressed the hype of this game. Everyone was looking forward to it now any info that does get put out it will be hard not to just go "meh whatever".
Not here. I am looking forward to what both the XB versions and the PC/PS4 versions will offer.

...or maybe this deal IS SAVING the franchise? We don't really know (Spoiler: I never read the full interview tl;dr).
This could be true.

PC and PS4 is getting this game. I believe it.
Yay! Another believer!

Weemanply109
18th Aug 2014, 23:46
It just makes sense to me (the restraints the deal has put on both M$ and CD). I know this will potentially hurt fan relations but the exclusivity deal itself has already done that, so I'm not sure if they can do much more damage at this point. A lot of people will still buy this game regardless, I doubt people can block their interest in the game when they start pushing out gameplay and trailers, etc. I'm still excited regardless. :D

Yay! Another believer!

I converted! :lol:

My attitude regarding this whole situation has changed. Time heals dem wounds! ;)

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 23:48
So what you're saying is, it would be counter productive and possibly damaging for the deal if CD/SE were to say anything about potential PS/PC releases, at least for the time being. I suppose. But keeping gamers/fans in the dark is damaging their fan relations and their reputation as a developer, so the deal isn't doing SE/CD any really favours PR wise. Well, not the deal itself, rather the PR surrounding it so far.

Spot on but by the time the PC/PS4 versions are announced most people will have forgotten the initial misery and it will sell by the bucket load.

Rai
18th Aug 2014, 23:49
Yeah, I'm still looking forward to seeing trailers and game footage. No doubts there. :D

@Tecstar peeps have loong memories. Unless they're playing TR'13, then they don't need to :whistle:

Murphdawg1
18th Aug 2014, 23:54
So by extension the fact that Sony execs aren't "livid" shows how lovely Sony are and what a bunch of nasties MS are? I still don't get that people are saying they have been "screwed over". It's like you were promised something and then it was taken away.

Not here. I am looking forward to what both the XB versions and the PC/PS4 versions will offer.

Is it not a perfectly reasonable expectation for someone on PC or PS4 that supported the reboot to then expect to get to play the sequel on their platform of choice on release day?

Also if you have a PC or PS4 how can you get excited for a game that really isn't even guarenteed to now come to your platform?

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 23:54
Yeah, I'm still looking forward to seeing trailers and game footage. No doubts there. :D

@Tecstar peeps have loong memories. Unless they're playing TR'13, then they don't need to :whistle:

Some do, but if you are really into TR and its getting good reviews and its sat there on the shelf....

Tecstar70
18th Aug 2014, 23:57
Is it not a perfectly reasonable expectation for someone on PC or PS4 that supported the reboot to then expect to get to play the sequel on their platform of choice on release day?

Also if you have a PC or PS4 how can you get excited for a game that really isn't even guarenteed to now come to your platform?

You will get to play it on release day - the release day for your platform which happens to differ depending on which one you have.

Not guaranteed, but very very likely. I'm still working on you Murph!

Murphdawg1
18th Aug 2014, 23:59
You will get to play it on release day - the release day for your platform which happens to differ depending on which one you have.

Not guaranteed, but very very likely. I'm still working on you Murph!

But there's no reason that it should be held back for any platform. It's ridiculous that 2/3 of the fanbase is being told they have to wait.

DamianGraham
19th Aug 2014, 00:01

-------------------------------------------------------------

Very interesting response. And later goes on to say...

Sounds like Microsoft does in fact pay attention to what people say about them, even on these very forums perhaps...which is a little creepy.

You seem to be a crusader for the defending of Microsoft, as well as this awful deal, whose side are you on exactly? Just asking, not accusing.

DamianGraham
19th Aug 2014, 00:10
There is no "case" in favor of exclusivity among 3rd party multiplatform games, other than a quick pay-off and laziness. If kindly Mr. Spencer wanted something in this genre that could compete with Uncharted, why not get a 1st party dev, or even pay a 3rd party dev to make a NEW EXCLUSIVE IP to XBone? This is what irks us, and this is where the anger comes from. Stop being lazy, he could've created something better, and opened up job opportunities, but instead of originality and creativity, he stole something from everyone else, and is condescending in our faces about what a "win-win" it is. For you perhaps, but not for me- the consumer, the fan, and why there are some of you protecting and defending corporate greed to no end doesn't make sense to me (again, the consumer) you- as consumers, should share in the anger here. Not forgive so easily. Yes I'm a fan of Tomb Raider, that's why I'm outraged that my favorite franchise is getting raped for a quick buck.

Elliot Kane
19th Aug 2014, 01:49
Just to remind everyone, Rise Of The Tomb Raider was NOT initially announced as an exclusive, timed or otherwise (http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/09/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-revealed-at-e3/)

As it would be a reasonable expectation that a new TR would be multi-platform, it's no surprise that people feel they have had something snatched away at the last minute.

Murphdawg1
19th Aug 2014, 02:22
Just to remind everyone, Rise Of The Tomb Raider was NOT initially announced as an exclusive, timed or otherwise (http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/09/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-revealed-at-e3/)

As it would be a reasonable expectation that a new TR would be multi-platform, it's no surprise that people feel they have had something snatched away at the last minute.

Exactly, there was no hint of it being exclusive when announced at E3.

Supra70
19th Aug 2014, 03:38
Not to go off topic but I can see why he wants TR on xbox first. I dont know how many of you folks have seen this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCZuGZx7LE

Me thinks he's watched this commercial too many times.

RybatGrimes
19th Aug 2014, 04:32
I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person I feel like, oh, all of a sudden the franchise is going. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time - just like Dead Rising or something else - we'll see where these things go. Just like Ryse. We'll see what happens with the games. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

He's kind of missing the point. And I also can't stand how he keeps saying "I didn't buy this. it's not mine, I didn't buy it. I didn't buy it" like we're a bunch of illiterate dumb asses. Yes we get it, you didn't but the entire franchise. Ugh, you can practically hear his **** eating grin.

But anyway, people aren't upset because you're "buying the TR IP" or because it's "going" that's not it at all. People are pissed because you threw money at CD just so you could "have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox" as a cheap attempt to push out more console units. People are pissed because you're literally holding a (sequel that was previously multiplatform, like I mean come on.) franchise hostage just so you can sell more consoles. And yes sure sure, "other people" (very subtle) could have done the deal as well, but there's probably a reason why "other people" didn't have to, considering "other people" are outselling your console 3 to 1 (https://31.media.tumblr.com/0dffc744d272b9198e9dc5e899baf234/tumblr_inline_najdru0MVO1qgigev.jpg).

Weemanply109
19th Aug 2014, 04:51
He's kind of missing the point. And I also can't stand how he keeps saying "I didn't buy this. it's not mine, I didn't buy it. I didn't buy it" like we're a bunch of illiterate dumb asses. Yes we get it, you didn't but the entire franchise. Ugh, you can practically hear his **** eating grin.

But anyway, people aren't upset because you're "buying the TR IP" or because it's "going" that's not it at all. People are pissed because you threw money at CD just so you could "have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox" as a cheap attempt to push out more console units. People are pissed because you're literally holding a (sequel that was previously multiplatform, like I mean come on.) franchise hostage just so you can sell more consoles. And yes sure sure, "other people" (very subtle) could have done the deal as well, but there's probably a reason why "other people" didn't have to, considering "other people" are outselling your console 3 to 1 (https://31.media.tumblr.com/0dffc744d272b9198e9dc5e899baf234/tumblr_inline_najdru0MVO1qgigev.jpg).

#ClampBACK

That last line! :lol:

Tecstar70
19th Aug 2014, 06:43
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president Jim Ryan says...

Regarding making another popular multi-platform title a Sony exclusive, Ryan insisted it currently had a strong enough first-party line-up to make this unnecessary, but wouldn't rule it out completely.

"I never rule anything in or out, but we've got all our studios, in all parts of the world, working on stuff for PS4 – some of it announced, some of it yet to be announced – and we're pretty happy with what they bring," he explained.

"I never rule anything out, but I don't see a necessity for it right now."

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/rise_of_the_tomb_raider/news/xbox_press_conference_had_a_strange_use_of_commas_says_sonys_ryan.html

icepopshot
19th Aug 2014, 11:45
You are being too hasty basing that assumption on this one article. Try reading this thread for all the reasons why it will be on all platforms:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2031819&postcount=1067

I have started you off some way into the thread, so read the OP as well!

I did read your OP. Actually almost everything I found on the Net. But for me it's like in a Relationship. ;) So if Lara leaves me for the dark side and tells me maybe I come back, but I don’t really know if and if when? I prefer to just cut it off. :wave: It hurts only once, and I don’t have false hope :) So for MS it’s business, for me it’s personal :D

motoleo
19th Aug 2014, 15:55
Xbox is guaranteed to have the best games, while with Sony you just get what you get. The choice is easy, just consider getting an Xbox.

DamianGraham
19th Aug 2014, 16:35
Xbox is guaranteed to have the best games, while with Sony you just get what you get. The choice is easy, just consider getting an Xbox.

Not true at all. Hence why PS4 hardware sales are destroying XBone lots of great exclusives coming to PS4 the next couple ears, and here's the kicker: most of them are IP made just for Sony! Not bought off.

Valenka
19th Aug 2014, 17:09
Just ignore the trolls/fanboys.

Elliot Kane
19th Aug 2014, 17:48
Always amuses me when someone claims that any platform has 'the best' games. That is so very much a matter of personal taste.

As someone who plays huge numbers of RTS games, I need a PC. Someone whose first love was Tekken or some other fighting game would need a console. Halo fans need an XBox; Final Fantasy fans a PS... But you guys get what I mean, I'm sure.

What you love best determines the system that is 'best' for you. There are no bad choices of system as long as the owner is happy with them.

Weemanply109
19th Aug 2014, 18:10

Aside from the TIMED exclusives... Xbox only has Sunset Overdrive that's interesting. The rest of the innovation and originality is on PS4. I wonder if I can play Bloodborne on Xbox One... Oh wait.

Valenka
19th Aug 2014, 19:42
Lord, another console war is starting. :lol:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif

DrCroft
19th Aug 2014, 19:46
Lord, another console war is starting. :lol:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif

90s fashion is back so let's have everything else too ;)

Know what you mean though, it's old now and needs to die down.

Weemanply109
19th Aug 2014, 19:46
Ok. Lemme finish this before it escalates!

Imma join Valenka. Bye!

Valenka
19th Aug 2014, 20:21
Either way, I still think this whole thing is a heap o'crap.

Elessar78
19th Aug 2014, 20:25
Not true at all. Hence why PS4 hardware sales are destroying XBone lots of great exclusives coming to PS4 the next couple ears, and here's the kicker: most of them are IP made just for Sony! Not bought off.

Xbox is selling worse because of the whole digital distribution / used games fiasco, the inclusion of Kinect and thus the higher price initially and the muddled messaging (TV box?). The PS4 is perceived as the more powerful machine (which it is) and last but not least is out in many more countries. So far, Xbox One has more / better exclusives as far as i'm concerned (just counting big budget games; not much into indie stuff).

dark7angel
19th Aug 2014, 20:41
Always amuses me when someone claims that any platform has 'the best' games. That is so very much a matter of personal taste.

As someone who plays huge numbers of RTS games, I need a PC. Someone whose first love was Tekken or some other fighting game would need a console. Halo fans need an XBox; Final Fantasy fans a PS... But you guys get what I mean, I'm sure.

What you love best determines the system that is 'best' for you. There are no bad choices of system as long as the owner is happy with them.

This so much!!! :thumb:

Valenka
19th Aug 2014, 21:04
Xbox is selling worse because of the whole digital distribution / used games fiasco, the inclusion of Kinect and thus the higher price initially and the muddled messaging (TV box?).

Well, this is only partly true. The original controversy surrounding the Xbox One was so widely advertised that everyone heard about it. However, the news of Microsoft's back-pedalling of those features didn't reach everyone, apparently, because some people still believe that is the case, when it isn't.

So in the end, it just boils down to ignorance.

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 00:04

I do think that there is indeed some people who still believe that, but there's other people who refuse to buy a Xbone despite this.

I think it also factors in the negative press of those 180's they did with the console tho. There was a fan following who liked M$'s ideas and it DID make the console unique. After they revoked all these features it was basically a "weaker PS4" to the general public, but at a more expensive price.

So...

PRICE
E3 controversy
Entertainment focus
Weaker Console

...all seem to be other factors of why people would prefer to avoid the system. Not that it doesn't mean that the Xbone isn't good or unique to those who like it, I suppose. It's entertainment focus and Kinect entices some people. Power to you (this sounds like a slogan? lol).

Murphdawg1
20th Aug 2014, 00:20
Xbox is selling worse because of the whole digital distribution / used games fiasco, the inclusion of Kinect and thus the higher price initially and the muddled messaging (TV box?). The PS4 is perceived as the more powerful machine (which it is) and last but not least is out in many more countries. So far, Xbox One has more / better exclusives as far as i'm concerned (just counting big budget games; not much into indie stuff).

What first party exclusives does Xbox One have out other than Forza 5? Seems like all the "exclusives" they secured at launch were 3rd party that have either gone to PC or PS4(Plants vs Zombies).

Leon S. Kennedy
20th Aug 2014, 03:36
Aside from the TIMED exclusives... Xbox only has Sunset Overdrive that's interesting.

Honestly that game does not look interesting at all. It is basically Dead Rising mixed with Jet Set Radio.

Leon S. Kennedy
20th Aug 2014, 03:43

A game isn't exclusive when you can play it on PC too(DR3, Ryse, Titanfall, Plants vs Zombies which on PS4 too). Until Microsoft invests in some studios they will continue to lag behind in Sony and Nintendo is quality exclusives...which why they find themselves in the position of having buy timed exclusivity of Tomb Raider. That model cannot be sustained. Hopefully they planning to a cultivate more studios of their own and using this tactic as a band-aid.

Elessar78
20th Aug 2014, 06:37
A game isn't exclusive when you can play it on PC too

For a lot of people it pretty much is. PC plays a pretty insignificant role in blockbuster game sales.

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 12:20
For a lot of people it pretty much is. PC plays a pretty insignificant role in blockbuster game sales.

Not always. PC is a pretty huge platform. It depends on what type of game, really. Some titles sell well on PC compared to Console. One of the prominent issues with the PC gaming community is the relationship between the AAA publishers (mainly Ubisoft, EA and Activision) that don't have a clue how to treat the PC gaming community. The inclusion of Origin, uPlay, etc has only driven people away from buying their titles, hence why sales of these games aren't as big as they could be.

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 12:21
I do think that there is indeed some people who still believe that, but there's other people who refuse to buy a Xbone despite this.

I don't blame them. Who wants to go out and spend $500 on a console just to play one game instead of playing it on the console they already own? It's maddening.

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 12:30
I don't blame them. Who wants to go out and spend $500 on a console just to play one game instead of playing it on the console they already own? It's maddening.

Yea... :o

I mean, I bought a pretty expensive new PC earlier this year. It took so much out of my pocket. So I'm not keen on getting an Xbone one just for one game after that. :nut:

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 12:41
I mean, I bought a pretty expensive new PC earlier this year. It took so much out of my pocket. So I'm not keen on getting an Xbone one just for one game after that. :nut:

I did too. #twins
I spent USD$700 on a new computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. :p

Don't regret the purchase at all, even though it put my closer to my credit card limit and I'm still paying off my Xbox One. :lol:

Driber
20th Aug 2014, 12:53
Well, this is only partly true. The original controversy surrounding the Xbox One was so widely advertised that everyone heard about it. However, the news of Microsoft's back-pedalling of those features didn't reach everyone, apparently, because some people still believe that is the case, when it isn't.

The percentage of people ignorant to the 180's could be insignificant.

A game isn't exclusive when you can play it on PC too

For a lot of people it pretty much is.

Exclusive = exclusive.

If a game is released on more than 1 platform, it's not exclusive. End of story :p

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 13:09
The percentage of people ignorant to the 180's could be insignificant.

Partly. Microsoft's 180s don't alter their business practices in the slightest; the fact of the matter is, if it wasn't for the tremendous backlash, their original ideas for the Xbox One would have gotten a green light.

It's just that some people are still using the Xbox One's original functionality as basis for argument, unaware of the fact that Microsoft did back-pedal and remove those controversial features.

Driber
20th Aug 2014, 13:15
I haven't seen anyone doing that here. And if it happens on other sites, why aren't they being corrected? xbox fanboys are everywhere...

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 13:18
I have no idea, honestly.
I've seen a couple instances of that here, but it was more so in question, not as a basis for argument.

I guess people believe what they want and no one's in the mood to correct them. :lol: Lord knows I'm certainly not.

Driber
20th Aug 2014, 13:22
no one's in the mood to correct them.

You must be high. That's like... the very reason for the existence of the internet; people correcting each other.

That, and porn.

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 16:06
I did too. #twins
I spent USD$700 on a new computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse. :p

Don't regret the purchase at all, even though it put my closer to my credit card limit and I'm still paying off my Xbox One. :lol:

Don't forget your double (or triple? :scratch:) payment for the headset/mouse by your bank. :lol: This year is for really pushing the boundaries it seems.

My PC (overall) costs me over £1k. PC was like just over 900, but when I got my new PC, my old monitor broke, so I had to spend over another 100 for that. :lol: I was so mad.

Now I'm poor. (worth it tho cuz I look fabulous with my PC) :whistle:

That, and porn.

Was this what pushed you to join the Internet Revolution, Driber? :lol:

You can be open with us. :whistle:

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 16:48
You must be high. That's like... the very reason for the existence of the internet; people correcting each other.

That, and porn.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/6PMXy2ZrYngk/200_s.gif

I'll have you know that I have never done drugs in my life and I stopped smoking marijuana years ago! :lol:

Honestly though, believe it or not, I get tired of correcting people. If I had a dollar for every time someone on my Facebook news feed needed to be corrected, I could quit my day job. :p

Don't forget your double (or triple? :scratch:) payment for the headset/mouse by your bank. :lol: This year is for really pushing the boundaries it seems.

My PC (overall) costs me over £1k. PC was like just over 900, but when I got my new PC, my old monitor broke, so I had to spend over another 100 for that. :lol: I was so mad.

LOL fortunately, the multiple charges were cancelled and I only ended up paying once, for the headset that is being shipped individually from SteelSeries. The second charge will be sometime next month when Amazon ships the mouse and my copy of Requiem for a Dream. But Lord in heaven, what a task that was.

Good Lord. Over £1,000? Did you get an iMac, then? :p
I spent less than that and got everything; tower, monitor, keyboard and mouse. The only difference is I paid for the monitor separately while the tower, keyboard and mouse were bundled. Of course, your computer probably has better specs than mine having cost you over a thousand quid.

Driber
20th Aug 2014, 17:18
Was this what pushed you to join the Internet Revolution, Driber? :lol:

You can be open with us. :whistle:

Trust me, man, you don't want me to be "open".

:lol:

I'll have you know that I have never done drugs in my life and I stopped smoking marijuana years ago! :lol:

Honestly though, believe it or not, I get tired of correcting people. If I had a dollar for every time someone on my Facebook news feed needed to be corrected, I could quit my day job. :p

lol :D

BTW, love the GIF. Where is it from?

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 17:33
Driber, that gif is from the ICONIC film 'Mean Girls'. :cool:

Also, why? What do you have to hide? ;)

LOL fortunately, the multiple charges were cancelled and I only ended up paying once, for the headset that is being shipped individually from SteelSeries. The second charge will be sometime next month when Amazon ships the mouse and my copy of Requiem for a Dream. But Lord in heaven, what a task that was.

Good to hear that mess is cleared up. :lmao:

Good Lord. Over £1,000? Did you get an iMac, then? :p

I'd never commit such a sin! :whistle:

I spent less than that and got everything; tower, monitor, keyboard and mouse. The only difference is I paid for the monitor separately while the tower, keyboard and mouse were bundled. Of course, your computer probably has better specs than mine having cost you over a thousand quid.

Yea. :lol: I was aiming for really high-end performance. I don't have TITANS or anything, but my GPU did take the biggest bite out of my funds, actually I later found out that I could've spent much less for it which was another :mad2: moment, but it's great nonetheless. :) I bought my PC to last a long time (hopefully for the majority of the new console generation before I need another upgrade).

Lycantendencies
20th Aug 2014, 18:45
It's just that some people are still using the Xbox One's original functionality as basis for argument, unaware of the fact that Microsoft did back-pedal and remove those controversial features.
For me it's not that I don't know they did a 180, it's more that their attitude before and since left me with the very strong impression it was a reluctant reversal and still see it as the future of gaming and will try the same thing again next gen.

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 19:08
For me it's not that I don't know they did a 180, it's more that their attitude before and since left me with the very strong impression it was a reluctant reversal and still see it as the future of gaming and will try the same thing again next gen.

I wouldn't doubt that at all. In which, of course, history will repeat itself.

RybatGrimes
20th Aug 2014, 21:17
BTW, love the GIF. Where is it from?

are u 4 real

Driber
20th Aug 2014, 21:35

Ta :)

I did suspect as much, but wasn't sure, heh.

Also, why? What do you have to hide? ;)

Goats

a_big_house
20th Aug 2014, 21:41

True.
Might I also add that since they likely had that DRM system set up and ready to go, at any point, they could easily release an update and bring it back... (unlikely of course, but possible)

Weemanply109
20th Aug 2014, 21:47
Didn't M$ say that they'd actually considering reimplementing these features later in the consoles lifespan last year?

I'm not sure if they'd still try that now as the console is struggling but be cautious. :whistle:

kiadaw
20th Aug 2014, 23:39
True.
Might I also add that since they likely had that DRM system set up and ready to go, at any point, they could easily release an update and bring it back... (unlikely of course, but possible)

Sony could also put off Shti like that, not like they do not have DRM (in their music) before. Both Company have history of arrogant & anti-consumers.

The best situation for gamers, is none of any one console maker have a vastly superior market share, to keep them humble, & less likely to try something funny.

Valenka
20th Aug 2014, 23:49
Didn't M$ say that they'd actually considering reimplementing these features later in the consoles lifespan last year? I'm not sure if they'd still try that now as the console is struggling but be cautious. :whistle:

I think I recall reading something along those lines, but I can't confirm if it was a rumour or official word/thought from Microsoft. Either way, it sounds like they need a good pimp slap.

aawuer_rrutl1.jpg.gif

DamianGraham
21st Aug 2014, 00:07
Meh, I was going to post more on my opinion of Microsoft and Mr. Spencer, but I think I'm well enough just sending him nasty tweets. HASHTAGYAAASSSS

a_big_house
21st Aug 2014, 00:13
Sony could also put off Shti like that, not like they do not have DRM (in their music) before. Both Company have history of arrogant & anti-consumers.

Oh I'm sure of it, however in this case, they weren't trying to promote it as their #1 selling point, they were doing quite the opposite...

Now, I essentially agree with Valenka about it being in the past, but to me it's a case of "dropping ice cream on the floor then washing it off = the dirt was still there and honestly, there's a tub of sparkling Ben & Jerry's in the freezer" :lol:

ARaider
21st Aug 2014, 00:41

Best. Movie. Ever.:D

I think I recall reading something along those lines, but I can't confirm if it was a rumour or official word/thought from Microsoft. Either way, it sounds like they need a good pimp slap.

aawuer_rrutl1.jpg.gif

Or something like this.:D
avumcm_did-it-ever-happen-to-you-when...-part-9-20-gifs_18.gif

Elliot Kane
21st Aug 2014, 02:02

That, and porn.

And ponies! You forgot ponies! :D

Tihocan
21st Aug 2014, 04:29
Trust me, man, you don't want me to be "open".

Goats

http://i.imgur.com/hWOAccv.gif

Lycantendencies
21st Aug 2014, 16:05
I'm not so sure. The less freedom and ownership people have, the less they notice or oppose it being restricted further.
It was only a decade or so ago many people were saying digital content in general took away freedom, such as taking the game to a friends house, or being unable to play offline due to DRM, and swearing never to buy digital content.
Now there's much less resistance, and a whole new generation of gamers, plenty of whom don't see that as an issue.
Even this time, there were quite a few who saw no issue with MS' vision, especially with promises of cloud and allowing you to share your games with friends.
It's not a stretch to think that in another 5 years, resistance to this will be much less.

No doubt about that. I think they're all wanting an all digital future and will keep working to that end but imo, MS are pushing for it more aggressively.
Whilst Sony used the PSPGo to test the waters, MS used their main console and acted so dismissive and at times with hostility to the opposition towards it.
They seem to want this a lot more.

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 03:21
Micro$oft lost me as a customer when they tried to pull their "strict DRM/ no used sales/ always Kinect/ always online" crap, and then did a 180 just so they could say (at literally the 11th hour) "we listened to YOU, the gamers". What a load of horsecrap. I still play my Xbox 360....but it's much rarer now that I have a PS4. My PS3, PS4, and PSVita see pretty much all the game time, now.

I also count myself among those who believe that M$ WILL try to reinstate the restrictions they wanted to initially impose on Xbox One users....so, yet another reason I will not be getting an Xbone. I cannot trust M$.

And now with this move to sack Lara as a timed M$ exclusive, it is very much to try and push Xbox console sales against the superior numbers Sony's been enjoying.

I agree with everyone who has said: "So instead of screwing two-thirds of Tomb Raider's supporters/fans, why don't you create a 1st Party exclusive that could compete with Uncharted?"

I agree it is a rather nasty stab by SE/CD/Eidos to the folks who support TR on PS3/4 and PC. Bad on you, Square Enix/CD/Eidos. For shaaaaaame!

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 08:14
I agree with everyone who has said: "So instead of screwing two-thirds of Tomb Raider's supporters/fans, why don't you create a 1st Party exclusive that could compete with Uncharted?"

Because it's not easily done and especially not in such a short amount of time? It's like some don't even bother to read...

Elessar78
23rd Aug 2014, 08:16
Didn't M$ say that they'd actually considering reimplementing these features later in the consoles lifespan last year?

I'm not sure if they'd still try that now as the console is struggling but be cautious. :whistle:

Digital distribution is the future whether you or Gamestop like it or not. A large part of music and films / tv consumption already is delivered digitally. PC gaming pretty much is STEAM.

Driber
23rd Aug 2014, 09:22
Because it's not easily done and especially not in such a short amount of time? It's like some don't even bother to read...

I'm pretty sure Lord Martok's question was rhetorical ;)

Lord Martok
23rd Aug 2014, 13:47
Aye....it was a rhetorical question. And it is one that echoes the sentiments of quite a few others here. I certainly was not the originator of the question. :)

Elessar accuses me of not reading? LMAO! I'd dare say it's Elessar who doesn't read if Elessar didn't see this question come up time and again in previous posts/other threads long before I even commented on this matter. :)

And, btw, Elessar, M$ had plenty of time to try and come up with their own TR'esque/Uncharted'esque IP well before Xbox One's release. They could have come up with their own IP (or had a third party make an original/exclusive IP) for Xbox 360, and if it went over well enough, they could've done an HD remaster of it for Xbone. (Look at Naughty Dog and TLoU. ND knocked it out of the ball park with The Last of Us on PS3 well before PS4's release, [B]and[b/] made a full HD --1080p/60fps--remaster for PS4.).

That M$ didn't (and they dropped the ball/screwed the pooch with their waffling about on those unfavorable policies) is M$'s own fault...and now, there's even more backlash because they decided to grease SE/CD/Eidos' palms with some moolah to pick up RotTR as a limited exclusive because they are trembling over Sony's numbers. A majority of TR gamers/fans are ticked off over the matter. But let me guess...you're probably one of those who thinks: "Well, if you want it so damned bad, why don't you get an Xbox One?". Read the above again if you need a reason why folks have turned their backs on Xbox One.

Driber
23rd Aug 2014, 13:52
Oh, BURN :lol: