PDA

View Full Version : Not to add more fuel to the fire but I have a concern...

DamianGraham
16th Aug 2014, 23:46
I figured I would make this an independent thread because I want it to get a little bit of attention, so here goes.

With Mr. Spencer's comments about the exclusivity, he compared the deal to that of the exclusivity deal of Dead Rising 3 saying that it is coming out for other systems. By that, he meant PC because as of yet I haven't heard of it being developed for PS4. So here is my gripe.

The technology between the PS4 and the XB1 are similar, enough so that porting is really not too much of a hassle any longer (for reference I'll be attaching just one article I've found on the matter, there are plenty more you can research yourself). So, if CD/SE's timed exclusivity ends, I really hope that they consider releasing for PS4 as well as PC, because ultimately I'm not going to buy an Xbox One OR a gaming PC to play this game, which is heartbreaking but $60 bucks as opposed to the hundreds it would cost to buy a new console isn't an option really.

So CD, seriously think about what your next steps are as far as this exclusivity goes, because if it's just a PC only release you're still screwing your fans, and I've been a fan since day one (quite literally) and it honestly breaks my heart to see this happening. Hopefully this post makes sense to everyone.

Here is the article describing how similar it is to develop between the XB1 and PS4 (so really, it shouldn't be any issue to CD to make a PS4 version as well, is what my point in all of this is)

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4-vs-xbox-one-why-sonys-console-is-more-developer-friendly/

My favorite quote from the article:

“I don’t think there’s a major difference between them,” Comcept’s Keiji Inafune agrees. “If you get down to the tiny details then maybe each is better at one thing than the other, but it doesn’t really impact the way you make a game. It’s not like PS4 or Xbox One are particularly hard to develop for. Quite the opposite:You can make whatever you want on either one, and that should be enough for anyone"

angebd0625
17th Aug 2014, 00:38
If you go to ign they have a podcast talking about why tomb raider is exclusive. Is like 15 minutes. They said that he probably compared it to that because he would never want to insinute that theres a possiblity for ps4. They said that those franchises he mentioned were intentional. I hope there right.

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 00:41
I literally just found that podcast myself, kinda chuckled a little when he mentioned it because I'd already posted this. I don't know if it's a ploy to make gamers think that by Phil, or whether it really is the case. But I hope that SE and CD are ready for another storm if it really only does release just for XB1 and PC. I will be infuriated beyond all belief. I hope they see this and realize it. It's not hard to port it to PS4 at this point. So just do it and let us enjoy a franchise we love. It's not that difficult to do.

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 00:46
I literally just found that podcast myself, kinda chuckled a little when he mentioned it because I'd already posted this. I don't know if it's a ploy to make gamers think that by Phil, or whether it really is the case. But I hope that SE and CD are ready for another storm if it really only does release just for XB1 and PC. I will be infuriated beyond all belief. I hope they see this and realize it. It's not hard to port it to PS4 at this point. So just do it and let us enjoy a franchise we love. It's not that difficult to do.

Dare I say the storm they have faced and will face is far greater than the one that shipwrecked Lara on Yamatai?

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 00:48
Dare I say the storm they have faced and will face is far greater than the one that shipwrecked Lara on Yamatai?

:lol: You can say that. Lara won't even be able to help them out of this one (seriously though). If this is the case and they deny Sony fans the right to a MULTIPLATFORM franchise, I will literally flip. Tomb Raider has been a part of my life since I was 5 years old. If they take that away now after 16 years, I don't even know. lol

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 01:29
Both the XBone and the PS4 are basically miniature PCs, so there is no reason whatsoever why a game could not be released for all three platforms, with only the controls being somewhat different, IMO.

It's fairly certain that cross platform has never been easier.

Whether that means the new TR will be ported to any other system has yet to be officially confirmed.

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 01:32
Both the XBone and the PS4 are basically miniature PCs, so there is no reason whatsoever why a game could not be released for all three platforms, with only the controls being somewhat different, IMO.

It's fairly certain that cross platform has never been easier.

Whether that means the new TR will be ported to any other system has yet to be officially confirmed.

And that is what is concerning to me. It is easier to port now than ever before, so SE would be truly evil to deny us all this game. Sigh. Time will tell I guess. I hate this :(

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 01:46
And that is what is concerning to me. It is easier to port now than ever before, so SE would be truly evil to deny us all this game. Sigh. Time will tell I guess. I hate this :(

My honest impression from what we've heard so far is that CD/SE themselves aren't sure if they are going to do any ports, yet. Thus all the 'maybe' stuff.

If they were sure, I think they would have announced something by now.

BUT - this is purely my impression and could be wrong.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 02:02
I'm against buying an Xbone out of principal of how weak it is and Microsoft's shady tactics, but in regard to people who use finance as a defence for not buying it I don't get. I mean, we have over a year and a half to save up for both the game and the console. Are people really that struggling that they can't put some cash away each month or so for this? :scratch:

Also, you don't need a "gaming PC" to play PC games. If you're not using a potato but instead using a modern machine then you can play TR at moderate settings and have an equal experience to the console version (maybe not visually, depending on your spec) and you can even plug in a controller and play.

:lol:

:thumb:

My honest impression from what we've heard so far is that CD/SE themselves aren't sure if they are going to do any ports, yet. Thus all the 'maybe' stuff.

If they were sure, I think they would have announced something by now.

BUT - this is purely my impression and could be wrong.

I think you are, personally. I mean, if they never planned to release for PS4 and PC then the Xbox One version would've been announced from the beginning. The Mantle developments and such hint at a PC version and I believe that other versions are indeed in the works or were before M$ approached them with the offer (or vice versa).

I think the reason they're like "maybe" is because Microsoft are RELYING on consumer ignorance regarding PS4 and PC ports to allude people into thinking that there's a chance we might not get them to encourage people to buy an Xbone and Rise for safety measures. We'll either see a solid confirmation of the PC and PS4 version after the "Holiday 2015" period or if the backlash gets worse and forced to announce it to save face.

nodq24
17th Aug 2014, 02:21
If we see a microsoft logo on the case for Rise of the Tomb Raider for the x1 then you could bet that there will not be a ps4 version. Though that will be found out late next year. So I pray to god that we don't see a microsoft logo on the case.

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 02:45
I think you are, personally. I mean, if they never planned to release for PS4 and PC then the Xbox One version would've been announced from the beginning. The Mantle developments and such hint at a PC version and I believe that other versions are indeed in the works or were before M$ approached them with the offer (or vice versa).

I think the reason they're like "maybe" is because Microsoft are RELYING on consumer ignorance regarding PS4 and PC ports to allude people into thinking that there's a chance we might not get them to encourage people to buy an Xbone and Rise for safety measures. We'll either see a solid confirmation of the PC and PS4 version after the "Holiday 2015" period or if the backlash gets worse and forced to announce it to save face.

But it was MS who announced that it was a timed exclusive, not CD/SE. If MS wanted consumer ignorance, they would have said nothing.

What MS have basically said is, paraphrasing, "We have this timed exclusive, but we don't own or control Tomb Raider, and what CD/SE do with it after the timed exclusive is over is up to them."

CD/SE's answer to that was, similarly paraphrased, "Maybe we'll port it." That sounds a little equivocal to me.

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 02:52
But it was MS who announced that it was a timed exclusive, not CD/SE. If MS wanted consumer ignorance, they would have said nothing.

What MS have basically said is, paraphrasing, "We have this timed exclusive, but we don't own or control Tomb Raider, and what CD/SE do with it after the timed exclusive is over is up to them."

CD/SE's answer to that was, similarly paraphrased, "Maybe we'll port it." That sounds a little equivocal to me.

Phil Spencer pretty much had to considering the backlash that had occurred from the announcement and post by Darrell Gallagher

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 02:55
Phil Spencer pretty much had to considering the backlash that had occurred from the announcement and post by Darrell Gallagher

I don't think so. Most of the flak is not being aimed at MS, is it?

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 02:58
I don't think so. Most of the flak is not being aimed at MS, is it?

I guess that depends on who you talk to. I know I include them in it.

oldboy2003
17th Aug 2014, 03:28
can someone please link me the ign tomb raider podcast? :-)

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 03:31

I'm pretty sure M$ and CD/SE agreed to keep their mouths shut regarding other versions as part of the agreement. MS only announced timed exclusivity because they were heavily pressured into responding to that question, so gave light on it. However, you evidently see that they refuse to open up to any acknowledgement of any other versions when in fact they probably know the stance of the PC/PS4 version more than they're letting on as it obviously is a part of their agreement and CD's response was very "careful", they didn't even say anything, they just relayed Microsoft's words about the situation and didn't say anything else.

In my opinion this shows that they're being controlled as a part of the deal not to say anything about situation. If they had any freedom over the situation, they'd be frank with us regarding this. They're not boldly stating that the PC/PS4 version isn't coming, nor are they denying it. It's all "I don't know". Sounds to me that they're just wanting to be vague so the consumer can generalise about the situation (Consumer: "oh, no PC/PS4 version? DAMN, I'll have to get an Xbox One. MS/CD/SE employee: "KAACHING!! $$$") so they can later announce a PC/PS4 version without being called out for promising against it.

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 05:53
Perhaps, Weeman.

All any of us can do at this point is speculate :)

motoleo
17th Aug 2014, 06:21
I think I know what happened!

LaraRocks2, somebody working at the head of CD was probably a Microsoft employee or had close ties to Microsoft. I mean think about it. The whole fiasco seems like something Microsoft would do.

CD always used to keep us informed beforehand on matters such as this. They didn't even know about it.

FarronFox
17th Aug 2014, 11:32
can someone please link me the ign tomb raider podcast? :-)

I think it is this one:

http://au.ign.com/videos/2014/08/16/why-rise-of-the-tomb-raiders-exclusivity-isnt-a-big-deal-podcast-unlocked

Tecstar70
17th Aug 2014, 12:17
Mulder, Scully we need you.....

http://www.oocities.org/area51/lair/1306/smflash.gif

either that or a bull**** detector... :eek: :D

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 12:49
Perhaps, Weeman.

All any of us can do at this point is speculate :)

Yea. :( Hope is a good thing, though. Keeps me sane as a fan at this point. I couldn't imagine not having a TR game on my PC.

Tihocan
17th Aug 2014, 12:54
I think I know what happened!

LaraRocks2, somebody working at the head of CD was probably a Microsoft employee or had close ties to Microsoft. I mean think about it. The whole fiasco seems like something Microsoft would do.

CD always used to keep us informed beforehand on matters such as this. They didn't even know about it.

Aw, dude, that hits way too close to home...

Treeble
17th Aug 2014, 14:01

I just woke up with an idea (lol Inception) of what might have happened. Maybe the only reason Crystal is not updating us on the status and only making a reference to MS statement is that they're under a NDA of sorts.

Perhaps after all the timed exclusivity will be brief, but MS doesn't want anyone spilling their beans as I'm sure most people would play the waiting game instead of rushing out to buy a system they didn't plan to.

Still, keep in mind this is more speculation. Sadly it's all we have.

_Ninja_
17th Aug 2014, 14:13
I just woke up with an idea (lol Inception) of what might have happened. Maybe the only reason Crystal is not updating us on the status and only making a reference to MS statement is that they're under a NDA of sorts.

I think it's not "might" but definitely.

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 19:19
Yea. :( Hope is a good thing, though. Keeps me sane as a fan at this point. I couldn't imagine not having a TR game on my PC.

I have every TR game I own on my PC. As I tend to uninstall games on a regular basis, this is no small thing, for me :)

Perhaps after all the timed exclusivity will be brief, but MS doesn't want anyone spilling their beans as I'm sure most people would play the waiting game instead of rushing out to buy a system they didn't plan to.

Still, keep in mind this is more speculation. Sadly it's all we have.

You could be right, Treeble.

I doubt we will ever know the full details, but I certainly HOPE you are more right than I am :)