PDA

View Full Version : Will you walk away?

Murphdawg1
16th Aug 2014, 23:26
If ROTTR for whatever reason does not come to PC, PS4, PS3 will you simply walk away from the franchise and never look back? I can certainly see that happening with alot of people as they will have felt like they were completely and royally screwed out of experiencing a sequel that they had been looking forward to. Even if TR11 was a clean release for all platforms what would be the point in picking up the 3rd game in a rebooted series if you never got the chance to play the 2nd?

Anyway just curious as to how the community would indeed handle such a situation.

JaxGames
16th Aug 2014, 23:29
If you never got a chance to play the 2nd fans could watch Let's Plays I guess even though it's not the same at least you're getting some what of an experience and understand the story so you could pick up the 3rd.

No way I'm walking away from Lara ;)

DamianGraham
16th Aug 2014, 23:51
I chose "I might hang around" simply because I want to see if they even treat PS4 the same. I believe PC will get a port, but if it's like the Dead Rising 3 deal that Phil Spencer compared this deal to, I'm not optimistic. I may or may not be buying day one if it's on PS4, I haven't decided yet. They'd best bundle a helluva good deal for my money if they want it...

DonewithCrystal
17th Aug 2014, 00:19
I'm done with this company. I greatly enjoyed the remastered tomb raider on my ps4, and some past games on pervious systems(360,etc back to the first game released). However, when third parties sign these exclusivity deals it doesn't make me want to go out and buy a Microsoft or Sony product. Instead my reaction is to remove support from the game publisher. I chose a product and I may have or in future choose to buy a Microsoft product but it will not be because of this game or any other CD product. CD and any other company that attempts to "force" me to buy more products will see my support utterly evaporate.

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 00:22
No. Even if I didn't have an Xbox One, I'm not going to leave a community I love and have been involved in since day one over one single game.

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 00:38
No. Even if I didn't have an Xbox One, I'm not going to leave a community I love and have been involved in since day one over one single game.

So what would it take to push you away? And what point do you put your fandom aside and take a principled stand of not being screwed over anymore?

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 00:42
So what would it take to push you away? And what point do you put your fandom aside and take a principled stand of not being screwed over anymore?

Either Rise of the Tomb Raider not going to the PS4 or if this happens a second time.

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 00:44
I support Tomb Raider and I support Lara Croft but I do not support cheap business tactics that mean to make a quick buck. Treating Tomb Raider like a cheap prostitute isn't going to make you any more money than canceling the series altogether. If SE handles this correctly and actually manages to turn the circumstances around, I'll consider giving my money. Where I stand now, I can't feed into corporate greed, no matter how much I love Tomb Raider. You want my hard earned money? Then do something to deserve it, and treat me- the consumer, as I deserve to be treated

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 00:44
Either Rise of the Tomb Raider not going to the PS4 or if this happens a second time.

You just said that you wouldn't leave over one single game:scratch:

Error96_
17th Aug 2014, 01:08
In terms of this if CD don't bring ROTTR to PS?/PC then I would want to see them thrown off the TR project. I may get future releases still but never let it drop in forum posts and reviews for years to come.

In terms of Tomb Raider itself I still absolutely think TR is the most incredible series. I will always be loyal to the Lara Croft and Tomb raider brands because of the work of Core Design and Eidos. If I support CD's rebooted TR depends on them stopping trying to push us PS3/4/PC gamers out.

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 01:15
You just said that you wouldn't leave over one single game:scratch:

Which was in lieu of the possibility of the game coming to other platforms. Sorry for not clarifying.

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 01:18
I do not buy any game that demands things I don't like, and I certainly don't buy a system just to play a single game.

But with that said, I don't hold grudges. I'll come back just as easily as I walk away.

ARaider
17th Aug 2014, 01:46
I will never leave my little bird!:D CD made one mistake, and I'm not going to walk away just because of that. Companies make mistakes a lot, it's just a part of it. You're not a real fan if you walk away that easy. You're a fan of TR and Lara Croft, and even with this mistake she still does exist, and so does TR. look, walking away is the most easy decision you can make, but with walking away you don't solve anything. You can even make it worse. With not supporting them anymore you're mostly not buying anything from them, so they're going to miss a lot of money, and that can mean that they don't have enough money (or they have another problem) for a next game. Really think good about it before walking away from them.. TR and Lara don't desevere this. Just keep loving TR and Lara. They're not going to die that easy.

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 01:48
Actually, I literally sat at the computer for ten minutes thinking about it and I don't think anything will push me away completely. With Rise of the Tomb Raider, if it doesn't go to PS4, I'll be aggravated. If this exclusivity situation happens again, I'll be aggravated. But I actually just can't see myself not playing Tomb Raider anymore, regardless of what happens.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 01:52
Ditto to the sentiment above! It's too hard to step away from this franchise. Makes you question the people who are so easily willing to do so.

It's easy for any of us to say we're leaving, but most people always say that and don't keep to their word. I'd be a good example of that, really. Even if Rise never came to PC, I'd still buy the 3rd game. There's a lot of franchises that don't release all of their games on all platforms and have a big fan following. Halo 1 and 2 were on PC aswell as Xbox and then ditched them for Xbox exclusivity with Halo 3, but people still love the series and it's encouraged people to get an Xbox for the sake of keeping up with it. Fable 2 was never released on PC and PC gamers were very excited for Fable 3. It's happened before and I don't think it's ever killed those franchises or the fan following.

It might affect some people, but most fans to deal with it and get that respective console and move on.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be angry with Crystal and Square, though. Still praying dat PC version, tbh.

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 01:59
Actually, I literally sat at the computer for ten minutes thinking about it and I don't think anything will push me away completely. With Rise of the Tomb Raider, if it doesn't go to PS4, I'll be aggravated. If this exclusivity situation happens again, I'll be aggravated. But I actually just can't see myself not playing Tomb Raider anymore, regardless of what happens.

Maybe because I am newer(the reboot being my first Tomb Raider game) I don't quite have the same attachment to the franchise as alot of you do. I also question why should anyone stick around and give money to a publisher/developer that doesn't value their support? Treating your fans like crap isn't a long term winning strategy.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 02:14
I see... I guess it's easy to turn off the newer fans as they aren't as attached.

Murphdawg, have you tried playing the older TR games?

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 02:17
I see... I guess it's easy to turn off the newer fans as they aren't as attached.

Murphdawg, have you tried playing the older TR games?

I haven't. I know a few of them are available for download on PS3.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 02:21
I haven't. I know a few of them are available for download on PS3.

Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld are a must for new Raiders. ;)

Maybe then hit up TR1 as it's probably the best in the series (TR2 is overrated).

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 02:25
Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld are a must for new Raiders. ;)

Maybe then hit up TR1 as it's probably the best in the series (TR2 is overrated).

Isn't Legend or Anniversary a remake of the first one?

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 02:37

Anniversary is a remake of TR1. Legend is by definition a reboot of the franchise as it changed Lara's bio a bit (though I refuse to think of it as one as it simply felt like a modern take on the TR gameplay). :p

ARaider
17th Aug 2014, 02:42
Maybe because I am newer(the reboot being my first Tomb Raider game) I don't quite have the same attachment to the franchise as alot of you do. I also question why should anyone stick around and give money to a publisher/developer that doesn't value their support? Treating your fans like crap isn't a long term winning strategy.

The reboot is also my first TR game. :D(I played TR legend I think with a friend, but I only played for a short time) I'm going to play older TR games when I have time, and I'm sure I will enjoy them.:D
But I sure love Lara and TR, and Lara even became my biggest hero, and TR my favorite game. It doesn't mean that if you only played one game that you don't have the same attachment to the franchise.:)
Why would you not stick around? I can't give any money to them, because I'm not able to buy their game, so I'm not giving money to a publisher/developer that ''doesn't value their support''.:D They give me no choice, but if I could buy the game then I woud totally buy it. You can compare it to things that happend with soccer clubs. Toni Kroos transferred from Bayern Munches to Real Madrid, so some fans are upset that he is gone, but they don't stop with being a fan. It's the same with TR. They (temporarily) stopped supporting Ps4, Ps4 and pc, so some fans are mad, but they don't stop being a fan. (well at least a lot don't stop with it) :D

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 02:42
Anniversary is a remake of TR1. Legend is by definition a reboot of the franchise as it changed Lara's bio a bit (though I refuse to think of it as one as it simply felt like a modern take on the TR gameplay). :p

I honestly don't know what I'd do and I haven't even voted in the poll yet. I just didn't know if there are alot of PC and Playstation people on here that would just be so fed up over how all of this went down and would just say F*** it if they don't want my money then why bother anymore?

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 02:47

Anniversary is a bad remake of the first one. Superior graphics, inferior everything else.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 03:51
Anniversary is a bad remake of the first one. Superior graphics, inferior everything else.

Well, a developer can only do so much when they're restricted to remaking a 1996 title. Especially considering they never made it, they only have to go with the finished product. I think they done REALLY well considering. It could've been a bit better in the later segments, imo, but it was great nonetheless.

I think if Core released their Anniversary edition, they could've done some pretty amazing things with it. Reason why is that they knew the vision they wanted to go with the game, so they could've taken advantage of the tech to give us a more enhanced version of that vision with some neat improvements.

Anniversary is a great game, though and I liked that they changed some of the puzzles to take advantage of physics tech.

nodq24
17th Aug 2014, 04:40
More than likely if everything goes right I'll have an x1 by the new year, so I should be able to play the game day one, but I still hope for the game to come to the ps4.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 04:42
My college has One's to play on.

Lucky. :whistle:

motoleo
17th Aug 2014, 04:45
Yup.

I was going to camp out for this game. Whatever they have available on day one– I'm getting. So if it's just the Xbox version I'm still going to be there because I can still go to my neighbors house. I can still have it on hand just in case I come across an Xbone, or just for the novelty of having it. And then I can play. My university has One's just for that.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 04:46
So you don't actually own an Xbox One? I thought you did judging by your fondness of them. :p

Get dat Day 1 exclusive, tho. ;)

BridgetFisher
17th Aug 2014, 04:48
I voted to hang around, Im waiting for the origin arc of the story line to finish and will pick up the games again when Lara is back to Tomb Raiding and going in both barrels blazing.

Im excited for the next game after ROTR!

hipeople5100
17th Aug 2014, 04:53
I don't care if this happens again but, sending death threats or r*pe to Camilla Luddington and spitting on their ps4 ver. of TRDE. Why would they do that to her though.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 04:57
I voted to hang around, Im waiting for the origin arc of the story line to finish and will pick up the games again when Lara is back to Tomb Raiding and going in both barrels blazing.

Im excited for the next game after ROTR!

She'll be Tomb Raiding in ROTTR, though... Hence the developers saying they're putting the "Tombs" back in Tomb Raider.

I don't care if this happens again but, sending death threats or r*pe to Camilla Luddington and spitting on their ps4 ver. of TRDE. Why would they do that to her though.

Who did this, though? Never heard of such things till now.

The rape threats are disgusting. People responsible should be apprehended and checked for any mental issues for the sake of the public. People that spit on their own purchased games have no good logical reasoning as CD already has their money and the edition that will remain in their hands and will only be affected by them. Poor things will have to clean it up once they give in to this. lol.

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 04:57

Yeah all of that is totally inexcusable. Anyone that's sent those kinds of threats to Camilla or anyone else I hope law enforcement has paid them a visit.

Metalrocks
17th Aug 2014, 05:13
i might hang around.
in case things should turn out for the better. now its just early to jump to this conclusion. still upset about it of course but this message is also very resent.

hipeople5100
17th Aug 2014, 05:18
The death threats and stuff was on her twitter and other peoples twitter.

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 05:59
Well, a developer can only do so much when they're restricted to remaking a 1996 title. Especially considering they never made it, they only have to go with the finished product. I think they done REALLY well considering. It could've been a bit better in the later segments, imo, but it was great nonetheless.

I think if Core released their Anniversary edition, they could've done some pretty amazing things with it. Reason why is that they knew the vision they wanted to go with the game, so they could've taken advantage of the tech to give us a more enhanced version of that vision with some neat improvements.

Anniversary is a great game, though and I liked that they changed some of the puzzles to take advantage of physics tech.

Different opinions, and all that.

For me, the centaur fight alone was a game ruiner (It took me hours, literally), but the ascent of the Great Pyramid was literally the point where I had to give up as I'm not sure it's even possible on PC. I must have tried that ascent fifty times, and I'm not a bad TR player by any stretch, but nothing I could do got me up it.

One really bad thing in a game might be forgiveable, but two are not (And I'm only not counting the Tyrannosaur because you can hide in a corner and kill it).

Both are appalling mistakes in what otherwise would have been a pretty good game. But still nowhere near as good as the original.

Tihocan
17th Aug 2014, 06:44
I will never turn my back on Lara Croft.

DrCroft
17th Aug 2014, 10:05
Don't think I can turn my back, I have far too many years invested and I'm just hoping that it comes to PS4 so I can play it.

Deltoran
17th Aug 2014, 12:18
Hmmm. It's kind of dependent for me. Assuming they release the RotTR on PC/PS4 eventually then no, I'll stay tho will buy on sale. However, if they do not (which we're all pretty sure is unlikely) then I might. I mean, I'll be missing a chunk of the story without the sequel and no real way to fill it.

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 13:05
But still nowhere near as good as the original.

I can agree with this.

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 18:17
Maybe because I am newer(the reboot being my first Tomb Raider game) I don't quite have the same attachment to the franchise as alot of you do.

That's a perfectly fair assumption, but I like to think we all love Tomb Raider and Lara equally, so don't sell yourself short. :D

I also question why should anyone stick around and give money to a publisher/developer that doesn't value their support? Treating your fans like crap isn't a long term winning strategy.

It's a good question, but one I don't have an answer for. I mean, it could be because I'm such a fan, I don't want to abandon the franchise for any reason. It could also be a selfish one; maybe I care too much about playing the game(s), that I ignore the business practices. :o

I wouldn't say they don't value our support and I definitely don't think they're treating us like crap, per sei. It's definitely not respectful, their treating of us, but I try to empathise with them and take into account the fact that they're doing this for a reason. But while I do that, I also empathise with the fans who've been hurt by this more than I and can understand where they're coming from and why they may not want to support the company further.

I know before I said "over one single game," but to some, that might be a bigger deal than I think it is.

Murphdawg1
17th Aug 2014, 19:57
That's a perfectly fair assumption, but I like to think we all love Tomb Raider and Lara equally, so don't sell yourself short. :D

It's a good question, but one I don't have an answer for. I mean, it could be because I'm such a fan, I don't want to abandon the franchise for any reason. It could also be a selfish one; maybe I care too much about playing the game(s), that I ignore the business practices. :o

I wouldn't say they don't value our support and I definitely don't think they're treating us like crap, per sei. It's definitely not respectful, their treating of us, but I try to empathise with them and take into account the fact that they're doing this for a reason. But while I do that, I also empathise with the fans who've been hurt by this more than I and can understand where they're coming from and why they may not want to support the company further.

I know before I said "over one single game," but to some, that might be a bigger deal than I think it is.

Well they definitely have been favoring the Xbox brand since Underworld with different kind of deals on DLC and now this.

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 20:37
Well they definitely have been favoring the Xbox brand since Underworld with different kind of deals on DLC and now this.

Well, I wouldn't say they favoured Xbox since Underworld; TR2013 was treated pretty equally on all platforms. But I understand your point.

JaxGames
17th Aug 2014, 20:40
Well, I wouldn't say they favoured Xbox since Underworld; TR2013 was treated pretty equally on all platforms. But I understand your point.

Well Xbox got all of TR2013's DLC before anyone else but at least other platforms got it after... unlike the Underworld DLC.

Jurre
17th Aug 2014, 20:43
If ROTTR for whatever reason does not come to PC, PS4, PS3 will you simply walk away from the franchise and never look back?

I won't, if only because of the 'never say never' adage. As far as voting with the wallet goes I think it will be sufficient to not buy an Xbox - to refuse to buy anything that Crystal Dynamics/Square Enix/Microsoft will produce in the future will hurt myself a lot more than it will ever hurt them.

I'll be buying a PS4 to play Temple on... and then wait for TR10, and if it won't come I'll watch the Let's Play videos on YouTube. And if then TR11 will come out on PS4 I'll play it on PS4 - though it probably won't happen that TR10 won't be released on PS4 but TR11 will - I mean that would be a very weird situation. In the worst case scenario I think TR10 will come out in a trilogy box containing TR 9, 10 and 11, some time after the release of 11...

Valenka
17th Aug 2014, 20:47
Well Xbox got all of TR2013's DLC before anyone else but at least other platforms got it after... unlike the Underworld DLC.

I'd forgotten about that.
Hmm, so I guess the company's relationship with Microsoft really does go all the way back to Underworld.

DrCroft
17th Aug 2014, 21:28
And there was the TR xbox controller last year!

pidipidi39
17th Aug 2014, 21:41
And Guardian of Light was an Xbox timed exclusive.

JaxGames
17th Aug 2014, 21:42
And there was the TR xbox controller last year!

Yup, I forgot about that and it was a much better one whilst PS3 owners got the half-assed one..

WinterSoldierLTE
17th Aug 2014, 23:29
No. I will not buy a system I don't want just to play it, but I am a TR fan and even if I never get to play another new TR ever, I still love the games. Hell, I STILL play all of them at least once a year, sometimes more. I'd be upset, yeah, but I've still got great games I can play anytime.

I'd probably never forget what Crystal, Microsoft, or whoever takes away from me by being one console exclusive, but I'll also never forget what Crystal & Core have already given me. I am a Lara Croft fan now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Rai
18th Aug 2014, 00:29
I won't walk away from a franchise I love. Tomb Raider is the only game franchise I follow, so for selfish reasons, I'll stick by it and it may mean I'll have to save for an Xbox one in time. I don't see any reason why SE/CD would not put the game on the PS/PC platforms once the 'duration' is over, but should that happen, that would be a crying shame for a large part of the community. But, I love Tomb Raider, and all the games to date are still there to be enjoyed, I enjoy being a part of this community so I'll stick around to be a part of that.

One thing to note though: TR'13 had so much emphasis on Lara which is continuing on in RotTR and beyond from what I gather. TR'13 had an audience who became invested in this new Lara and her story. Although the same number of (eventual) sales aren't guaranteed, I imagine that CD would want their audience to stay with Lara and continue to enjoy her adventures. With that in mind I find it hard to believe CD/SE would cut off that opportunity to sustain that player/protagonist relationship they were tying to build with TR'13.

Leon S. Kennedy
18th Aug 2014, 00:30
Yes.

*edit

I didn't read the question fully. My future support of this franchise depends on how SE handles future games and more urgently how it takes to get ROTTR out on ALL of the other platforms(except Wii U).

Unlike many others on here this isn't my favorite franchise and TR2013 was the first Tomb Raider game I have bought in over a decade. It wouldn't be that hard to walk away...

LaraCroft04
18th Aug 2014, 16:30
I will never turn my back on Lara Croft.

With you, no matter what the future for Lara holds or what stupid decisions are made, I'm far too attached to the series and Lara herself to ever be able to walk away

Driber
18th Aug 2014, 17:35

Because there will always be idiots in the world?

The rape threats are disgusting.

And the death threats aren't? :eek:

The death threats and stuff was on her twitter and other peoples twitter.

So nothing to do with this community then.

CakeLuv
18th Aug 2014, 18:18
I do not buy any game that demands things I don't like, and I certainly don't buy a system just to play a single game.

But with that said, I don't hold grudges. I'll come back just as easily as I walk away.

This http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa467/cake2521/Interesting4_zps74750b7c.gif?t=1408385420

Flintmelody
19th Aug 2014, 18:16
I wouldn't walk away but equally much I won't be getting an xbox 360/one/? so if those are the only platforms for a TR game then I wouldn't get it.

I liked Anniversary but I think in music and level design it loses to the original. There were just some sections where the remake cut corners in levels like Palace Midas. It's good in allowing new fans to experience the game though.

Weemanply109
19th Aug 2014, 19:36
And the death threats aren't? :eek:

I wish death on people all the time. Would you be a dear and die pl0x, driber? :flowers:

Kidding. :lol: They're both disgusting, but I think it's just the social stigma. You always hear, "I'm gonna kill you", used so loosely in many social contexts whereas you don't for rape. I think I'm more desensitised to such sayings and usually I don't see death threats online as much serious ones. Like, I don't see "I kill you unless you make x happen or something" as bad as "I'll rape you, *****, make x happen!". It's just so unusual. You never hear people loosely throwing that word around as much, it has heavy weight to it, imo and that's why I find it weird. Though I have noticed recently that people are saying "You just got raped" as the new "you just got owned" on Xbox Live, etc to each other and it's disgusting. :scratch:

That aside, thinking about it logically, they're just as disgusting as each other.

moogle
20th Aug 2014, 05:01
I will not walk away as long the franchise is at least available on PC, and still intriguing. I do not want to spend a game console just to play it.

a_big_house
20th Aug 2014, 11:00
I'll be hanging around for the LC games, the comics and the books

Lycantendencies
20th Aug 2014, 18:15
This is hard to answer in a simple yes or no.

I won't walk away out of protest, but without the game, without experiencing the story first hand, there's not really much left to enjoy.
Even the non game stuff like the art and design books or lore serves much less purpose.
Sure it's still pretty, but part of it's appeal is that it's looking at the development of or expanding on something I am familiar with.

I love Tomb Raider and don't want to say goodbye to it, but I've stuck around franchises I'm no longer enjoying before and eventually it kills your passion so much you forget what you loved about it in the first place.

I think what makes it worse with TR is that unlike Final Fantasy or GTA, Tomb Raider is an ongoing story.
Even if the third game goes multi platform again, IF there is no RotTR, I'm missing part of the story.

I guess unless Rise comes to PS4 or MS make me change my mind on the XBoxOne, then maybe yeah, I will end up walking away and my love for TR will be relegated to nostalgia.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
24th Aug 2014, 00:41
I will always be a fan of the series but I won't be buying an Xbox console.

RosePetals
24th Aug 2014, 22:30
No, I won't be walking away even if I wanted to. Might just play it on my bf's old Xbox360. It's just sad I won't get to see Lara on the PS4 with all that juicy next-generation-ness.

Still think this is a huge mistake though, because...
http://memecrunch.com/meme/2APW4/titanfall/image.png

pomeranianpuppy
25th Aug 2014, 15:40
If I wanted something I could walk away from after 18 years I would've got married.
Me and Lara are forever,
It's CD, Square Enix and Microsoft I'm mad at :whistle:

Lord Martok
25th Aug 2014, 19:09
^well put! :)

pomeranianpuppy
26th Aug 2014, 14:28
Thanks! :D

Lord Martok
26th Aug 2014, 14:33
You're welcome :D

Telekill
27th Aug 2014, 22:29
I already did walk away.

If there's a PS4 release for the new game or any game I have interest in created by Crystal Dynamics, Eidos or Square, I'll be buying it used. They don't deserve my money.

yamatai_veteran
18th Sep 2014, 13:15
Wouldn't leave the Tomb Raider series over this. If a game went permanent exclusive would be only case I would do this.

Lara_Fan_84
19th Sep 2014, 18:47
I chose I'd hang around, because if PS4/PC gamers don't get rise there are rumors of getting another game.

Rai
19th Sep 2014, 22:49
I chose I'd hang around, because if PS4/PC gamers don't get rise there are rumors of getting another game.

There are? Care to share what these rumours are? Where did you hear them?

Lara_Fan_84
20th Sep 2014, 00:35
There are? Care to share what these rumours are? Where did you hear them?

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

It is mentioned that for PS gamers and PC gamers will get Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, which comes out in December. Unless that's something different all together in which case I apologize in advance. :)

Edit: Nevermind I saw the trailer and it's the sequel to The Guardian of Light, so I do apologize. ;)

Rai
20th Sep 2014, 00:40
http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

It is mentioned that for PS gamers and PC gamers will get Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, which comes out in December. Unless that's something different all together in which case I apologize in advance. :)

This isn't a rumour, this is an actual game in the style of Guardian of Light. You can find info about it in the relevant section (http://eidosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=334) in this forum. Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said rumour of another game, I thought you meant instead of Rise of the Tomb Raider for PS/PC platforms. ToO is coming to the XB1/PS4 and PC, which is as well as Rise (XB1).

Lara_Fan_84
20th Sep 2014, 00:51
This isn't a rumour, this is an actual game in the style of Guardian of Light. You can find info about it in the relevant section (http://eidosforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=334) in this forum. Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said rumour of another game, I thought you meant instead of Rise of the Tomb Raider for PS/PC platforms. ToO is coming to the XB1/PS4 and PC, which is as well as Rise (XB1).

That was what I meant, but maybe my mind saw something else. I thought I saw someone saying that PS4 and PC gamers would get something else on the release of Rise, I guess I thought a big title game similar to the sequel to TR.

I still have hope that the timed exclusive will be over and PS4 and PC gamers will get it after. I don't care about the extra wait as long as we get it. Granted I don't have a PS4 yet, because I'm still waiting on Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain and I was waiting for the sequel to TR13 to get my console but we'll have to see.

WinterSoldierLTE
20th Sep 2014, 01:58
Granted I don't have a PS4 yet, because I'm still waiting on Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain and I was waiting for the sequel to TR13 to get my console but we'll have to see.

'Phantom Pain' will be on 360 and ps3, as well as next gen.

Lara_Fan_84
20th Sep 2014, 20:16
'Phantom Pain' will be on 360 and ps3, as well as next gen.

Oh I thought it was going to PS4, that's good to hear. Thanks. :) That's pretty sad I didn't know that. :scratch::whistle:

SineadLadyCroft
22nd Sep 2014, 12:46
I don't think I could leave the franchise or the Tomb Raider community at all! I've made so many amazing friends thanks to Tomb Raider and love being a part of the community! That said, if Rise does not come out on PS4 (which is highly unlikely IMO) I will just not buy an XBONE or the game, meaning that CD and Square will not get my money or support from the game, which would be a shame, as I really want there to be more Tomb Raider games.

AdeleDazeem
22nd Sep 2014, 12:57
No. Tomb Raider would say goodbye to me, but I'm not saying goodbye to Tomb Raider.

Metalrocks
22nd Sep 2014, 14:32
im really curious how we all would feel once the game is out on the xbone. would we still consider of getting the game once its announced when it will be released for pc and ps4?

now im not sure if i should get it. im still very displeased about this horrific decision they have made. i guess when the time comes i might be at a 50-50 mood.

AdeleDazeem
22nd Sep 2014, 17:21
To me it will al be forgiven and forgotten as soon as they announce the PS4 version. Though I do have a foul taste in my mouth whenever I think about M$ (which I used to spell out as MS until dooms day) or Xbox One.

Scion's_Eye
22nd Sep 2014, 20:02
No. Tomb Raider would say goodbye to me, but I'm not saying goodbye to Tomb Raider.

My thoughts exactly. I don't believe if anyone who has been invested in the franchise long enough would leave just because of their own spite. It was us gamers who were cheated because of SE and poor PR. We're not pulling the carpet from under Tomb Raider, we're the ones getting the carpet pulled from under us.

That being said, I actually thought long and hard about this question and to be honest, I don't think I could leave. Maybe it's the escalation of commitment but if SE or M$ pull this sh**** on Tomb Raider again, I don't think I could take it.

AdeleDazeem
23rd Sep 2014, 07:52
Maybe it's the escalation of commitment but if SE or M$ pull this sh**** on Tomb Raider again, I don't think I could take it.

Say Rise eventually ends up on PS4/PC about 6 months later. And another sequel is confirmed as a timed excluisve again. I'd say the odds are that it will end up on PS4/PC 6 months later again. However, if Rise remains an exclusive and the sequel is announced.. then I can't take it anymore.

Metalrocks
23rd Sep 2014, 08:09
Say Rise eventually ends up on PS4/PC about 6 months later. And another sequel is confirmed as a timed excluisve again. I'd say the odds are that it will end up on PS4/PC 6 months later again. However, if Rise remains an exclusive and the sequel is announced.. then I can't take it anymore.

also the other question would be if we will get everything as well. hopefully extra content to make it up for the wait.
also, lets hope that the quality/port will be good as well. especially for pc. but agreed, if they would do this with every title, i think i will call it a day as well.

AdeleDazeem
23rd Sep 2014, 08:44
For future Tomb Raider games that is. Cause I'd happily play previous Tomb Raider games on my PlayStation consoles.

Metalrocks
23rd Sep 2014, 09:08
i sure will play legend and underworld as well. when i have nothing else to play at that time.

Tecstar70
23rd Sep 2014, 10:06
also the other question would be if we will get everything as well. hopefully extra content to make it up for the wait.
also, lets hope that the quality/port will be good as well. especially for pc. but agreed, if they would do this with every title, i think i will call it a day as well.

I suspect that the PS4/PC versions will follow so soon after the XB1 that DLC will NOT be included. It woudl negate a large chunk of potential revenue. It is likely that all patches will be included in the release. Why would they kill off a potential GOTY Edition in 2016/17?

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Sep 2014, 10:16

I'd like to believe CD/Eidos learned from the upset caused by the 'Underworld' dlc being 360 exclusive. It wasn't nearly as troubling to fans as the 'Rise' situation's announcement, but it still ticked a few people off. Especially since it wasn't included in the 'TR Trilogy' collection. Which I THINK is one of the reasons why 'Rise' is only exclusive for however many months to Xbone. I'm sure there was a wad of clashed waved their way to make it 100% exclusive.

AdeleDazeem
23rd Sep 2014, 10:35
That's right. The Underworld Ending never made it to the Classics HD. Odd.

Metalrocks
23rd Sep 2014, 13:14
very possible for GOTY version. maybe wait extra 6 months just to get the whole lot.

i ma also one of them who is not happy that these DLCs only came out for the 360. i sure would have spend money on them but nope, we get nothing. :mad:
but of course with rise....:mad2:

GoggleboxUK
25th Sep 2014, 22:55
I will definitely be walking away.

Not from Lara, but from CD and SE. I refuse to give any of my cash to these 2 companies and will only ever buy preowned copies of any of their games from here on in.

I will not be buying any RotTR merchandise either, as far as I'm concerned my collection finishes at TR2013.

Leon S. Kennedy
28th Sep 2014, 10:01
The fans didn't walk away. Tomb Raider is now a sell-out.

Metalrocks
28th Sep 2014, 12:32
The fans didn't walk away. Tomb Raider is now a sell-out.

thats why fans are walking away. :whistle:

hiropon056
1st Oct 2014, 10:46
I don't think "walking away" is an actual option (at least for me) when you are a big fan of something. Speaking for myself I see it with Zelda. I played all the games up to twilight princess but since I didn't get the wii (cause the console is a NO for me) I stopped playing. But that doesn't stop me from watching let's plays or always read the latest news on the franchise.
If it turns out that TR will indeed be xbox exclusive I guess it be just the same as with Zelda or other franchises I adore.

Triangle3
6th Oct 2014, 11:07
I don't like what CD have done with the deal but I will always like TR. If they made a permanent exclusive though would be only thing that would change my mind.

AdeleDazeem
6th Oct 2014, 11:25
I don't like what CD have done with the deal but I will always like TR. If they made a permanent exclusive though would be only thing that would change my mind.

If the series became exclusive to Xbox, I have no choice but to walk away. I always go for PlayStation, then Nintendo and then the next generation PlayStation, then Nintendo and so on. My pattern excludes the Xbox and so it will exclude Tomb Raider.

Metalrocks
6th Oct 2014, 13:18
i think a lot of people will walk away if its xbone only. i know i will. so lets hope this will never happen.

IvanaKC
6th Oct 2014, 14:33
We all know that it's not Lara's fault for anything. Sure, you can be angry now or when the game comes out, but when the game after that comes out which probably won't be an exclusive, you'll be too curious not to play it. Besides, how can anyone walk away from something they love? We can boycott or protest, but can you make yourself stop loving TR just like that (especially if the game was part of your childhood)? Walking away is a far too strong term to be used here. :rolleyes:

Jurre
6th Oct 2014, 14:44
You know, call me Vidkun Quisling but I think I start to see why this decision could have been a right one for Tomb Raider: if because of Microsofts financial injection they can do things that nobody ever dreamt possible and take the TR franchise to incredible hights then the PC and PS3 community will also profit from that, albeit at the price of waiting longer.

However, the one thing that really scares me still is the possibility of future DLC and other such things being Xbox exclusive forever...

Metalrocks
6th Oct 2014, 16:14
that could happen that future DLC would be only for xbone. just like with underworld. still think that its because the huge loss of the console that M$ tries to get sales up. but SE should know (and as mentioned here many times) that TR sold better on PS and PC. so this is still baffling me how this decision with M$ is better.
but, this cant be changed anymore. the deal with the devil is done.

Flintmelody
6th Oct 2014, 17:49
You know, call me Vidkun Quisling but I think I start to see why this decision could have been a right one for Tomb Raider: if because of Microsofts financial injection they can do things that nobody ever dreamt possible and take the TR franchise to incredible hights then the PC and PS3 community will also profit from that, albeit at the price of waiting longer.

However, the one thing that really scares me still is the possibility of future DLC and other such things being Xbox exclusive forever...

I think brand is a very important thing. I saw on a TV programme that if you gave people a cola drink that if you showed Coca Cola branding they liked it more than if you showed them Pepsi branding whatever the cola they were drinking. What I am saying if CD pursue a path that leaves much of their fanbase heavily against them even if the game is great people still won't love it because they will have being screwed over in the back of their minds. Even if the actual quality is better the perceived quality will be worse. That means that taking the money for exclusivity deals from MS will never be good for our series. Is like all the people currently saying they will buy the game second hand at the moment to punish CD but still support TR. It's CD's reputation on the line as Lara will always be immensely popular whatever happens.

Mick2412
11th Oct 2014, 13:11
If a perminant exclusive did happen would never buy anything made by CD again but would still be a fan of the classic TR games.

_Ninja_
11th Oct 2014, 16:48
I may not have a choice. I'm a PC gamer and am unlikely to get a console and be willing to learn to play shooters with a controller.

yamatai_veteran
14th Oct 2014, 13:01
If I couldn't buy the games then what would be the point. It would be like here the coolest game but we don't want to give you that.

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2014, 00:49
I may have to walk away if Rise doesn't go to console and PC simply because I will never buy an XBox, therefore, I would not be able to play the game. I had this thought that maybe if they made a third game they would make it available for everyone to make it up to fans who didn't get to play the second one but I don't see the point in that, especially if it picks up where the last one left off. I prefer to play games in order especially for games from a series I hold dear to my heart.

Metalrocks
21st Oct 2014, 04:59
I may have to walk away if Rise doesn't go to console and PC simply because I will never buy an XBox, therefore, I would not be able to play the game. I had this thought that maybe if they made a third game they would make it available for everyone to make it up to fans who didn't get to play the second one but I don't see the point in that, especially if it picks up where the last one left off. I prefer to play games in order especially for games from a series I hold dear to my heart.

more or less the same with halo. 1 and 2 were available for pc and just like that, part 3 is only 360 exclusive. pc didnt get to play part 3. the final stage of the series.
sure, halo is not an amazing game but it was still enjoyable and you kind of like to know how it all ends. but nope, nothing for the pc crowd. just being left in the dark.

it would be stupid of them to release part 3 for all platforms when part 2 wasnt available. especially if there is a connection to them.

Elliot Kane
21st Oct 2014, 11:21
If TR is not available in a format I play, it is TR that has walked away from me, not me who has walked away from TR.

Not that Lara will ever cease to be a part of my life, with all the TR games I already own :)

Metalrocks
21st Oct 2014, 13:04
If TR is not available in a format I play, it is TR that has walked away from me, not me who has walked away from TR.

Not that Lara will ever cease to be a part of my life, with all the TR games I already own :)

so like: gone but not forgotten.

Elliot Kane
21st Oct 2014, 13:34
so like: gone but not forgotten.

Bit like an ex-girlfriend. She may have dumped you, but in a way she will always be a part of your life! :D

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2014, 14:33
I agree about the gone but not forgotten, I have all the TR games and haven't played some of the originals. I actually almost won the original but am down to hardly any health (in fact it's flashing) but I have no medipacks and there are no cheats to bring up your health (as far as I could find) and I have one demon thing to fight and I think I'm so close to winning yet I can't because I'm about to die.

I've tried bits and pieces of two and three I think. I've played and won Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld and TR13 but I have to go back and play the others.

Elliot Kane
21st Oct 2014, 14:52
First time I completed TR1, I staggered out with no med packs and almost no health, desperately afraid there might be one last obstacle to overcome. It was awesome! :)

Metalrocks
21st Oct 2014, 15:03
Bit like an ex-girlfriend. She may have dumped you, but in a way she will always be a part of your life! :D

:lol: true.
ok, even when my ex didnt dumb me (actually i wanted to leave her but she had to move away so she saved me from a lot of trouble), i still remember her.

I agree about the gone but not forgotten, I have all the TR games and haven't played some of the originals. I actually almost won the original but am down to hardly any health (in fact it's flashing) but I have no medipacks and there are no cheats to bring up your health (as far as I could find) and I have one demon thing to fight and I think I'm so close to winning yet I can't because I'm about to die.

I've tried bits and pieces of two and three I think. I've played and won Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld and TR13 but I have to go back and play the others.

i got the older ones as well since they were all 80% off on steam. but im just so struggling with the controls. i can press the jump button over 3 times and she still doesnt jump. and every enemy i come across, my health is always low. so having medkits in her bag is zero. just cant move properly around to avoid getting hit.
i have tried all of them but just cant get pass the first level. tats how much i struggle with the controls.

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2014, 15:12
First time I completed TR1, I staggered out with no med packs and almost no health, desperately afraid there might be one last obstacle to overcome. It was awesome! :)

That's impressive. :cool:

Tecstar70
21st Oct 2014, 15:27

Cool! Now thats an ending.

Elliot Kane
21st Oct 2014, 15:34
[COLOR="Lime"]
i got the older ones as well since they were all 80% off on steam. but im just so struggling with the controls. i can press the jump button over 3 times and she still doesnt jump. and every enemy i come across, my health is always low. so having medkits in her bag is zero. just cant move properly around to avoid getting hit.
i have tried all of them but just cant get pass the first level. tats how much i struggle with the controls.

Lara can shoot while flipping. One finger on Ctrl, then make her flip from side to side while she shoots.

That's impressive. :cool:

Cool! Now thats an ending.

It was indeed! I doubt I will ever forget it :)

Metalrocks
22nd Oct 2014, 01:33
Lara can shoot while flipping. One finger on Ctrl, then make her flip from side to side while she shoots.

thats the problem. she doesnt do that. most of the time she just stands still. moving back and forward works fine but sideways, thats a no go go for her. i can mash the buttons as much as i want.
at times i can jump over them but moving in any other direction wile shooting seams to be a problem.

Elliot Kane
22nd Oct 2014, 07:58
Metal,

You are holding down Alt and Ctrl and pressing the right and left arrow keys, aren't you?

Metalrocks
22nd Oct 2014, 12:54
Metal,

You are holding down Alt and Ctrl and pressing the right and left arrow keys, aren't you?

yes, i am. even when i customize the controls to my own comfort, still problems with the controls.

Lord Martok
22nd Oct 2014, 15:51
Metal, you might be able to play the game more to your liking with a Nostromo keypad controller. It can be programmed fully with single key and macro commands, and would probably make Lara far easier to control. :)

Elliot Kane
22nd Oct 2014, 17:04
And she's not flipping properly? That's really weird, Metal.

Have you tried the patch from Stella's TR site (http://tombraiders.net/)?

Doesn't allow direct linking, but it's on there :)

Lara_Fan_84
22nd Oct 2014, 23:46
Well, when I had originally posted I was a lot less further in the game than I thought. I had to fight The Torso/Abomination. I found a great walkthrough hint though on Stella's site and it worked after a few tries of doing it without losing health. Now, I'm a little further along, just shot the Scion and am on my way to the second trapped room underground. Stella's walkthroughs are great, I am going through the level step by step and it's so helpful.

Elliot Kane
23rd Oct 2014, 01:18
Time Trials on Legend would have been enormously harder without her, for me, that's for sure :)

Metalrocks
23rd Oct 2014, 01:47
Metal, you might be able to play the game more to your liking with a Nostromo keypad controller. It can be programmed fully with single key and macro commands, and would probably make Lara far easier to control. :)

maybe one day i can give it a try. but just getting a controller for this game is not worth it either. but thanks for the suggestion.

And she's not flipping properly? That's really weird, Metal.

Have you tried the patch from Stella's TR site (http://tombraiders.net/)?

Doesn't allow direct linking, but it's on there :)

never heard of the site. once my pc is fixed, i can give it a shot again. im talking about TR2 and pretty much all the TR titles from core. i did have a quick look at it but coulndt find a patch that could help me.

the controls were generally a problem for me. even when the game came out back then. especially with jumping. i can hold the jump button for over 3 secs before she actually jumps.
in the first level in TR2, i spend over an hour at the starting point because lara didnt jump or just didnt react to my commands like site flipping. until i finally had her on that platform:rolleyes::mad2: kept jumping over it all the time or didnt jump at all.

Elliot Kane
23rd Oct 2014, 03:47
The best way to get used to the controls on TR2 is the assault course, which you can access straight away. Sounds like it might be worth your while to play with that a bit first :)

The controls are clunky as heck for a modern game (For the obvious reason it isn't), but it is possible to get used to them :) As someone who finished all the old Core games, some several times (Inc 2) I can assure you of that :)

Metalrocks
23rd Oct 2014, 05:15
The best way to get used to the controls on TR2 is the assault course, which you can access straight away. Sounds like it might be worth your while to play with that a bit first :)

The controls are clunky as heck for a modern game (For the obvious reason it isn't), but it is possible to get used to them :) As someone who finished all the old Core games, some several times (Inc 2) I can assure you of that :)

if you mean the croft manor with the obstacle course, i tried that as well. could never finish it.

and even back then i found the controls very clunky. RE1 was much easier to control than TR. and i played pretty much every game back then with keyboard, including HL1 and jedi knight.
with TR i was: WTF is up with these controls?

well, once my pc is back, i will give it a try.......again. :rolleyes:
yes, i do have a hate for these controls.

Elliot Kane
23rd Oct 2014, 14:54
Wrong site earlier, BTW. Sorry about that.

There's the patch for TR2 (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr2/fixes.html)

Says Vista, but also works on Win 7. Not sure about 8, as don't have it :)

The obstacle course - just keep at it. If you can learn to do that really fast, you'll have no trouble with jumping, climbing, etc, in any other part of the game.

Metalrocks
23rd Oct 2014, 15:13
win 7 here too.
so my GPU is gone and i told them to build in a new one (decided to get a radeon R9 920X). they will get it tomorrow. then we will see if that is the cause alone and i can get my pc back or if there are other problems that requires a new HDD. this year is really bad with my and pc.

anyway, thanks for the direct link. lets hope this will make the game play better. what exactly does it patch? didnt see a description on the site. hope it works for the steam version as well.

Elliot Kane
23rd Oct 2014, 17:03
It makes compatibility updates, basically. Steam version should be fine as is, but if it ain't, it ain't. So I figured the patch had to be worth a try.

Metalrocks
24th Oct 2014, 02:01
It makes compatibility updates, basically. Steam version should be fine as is, but if it ain't, it ain't. So I figured the patch had to be worth a try.

i see. well, i had no issues to start the game and play it. its the controls im having problems with. but yes, worth a try.

Scion_Light
6th Dec 2014, 01:56
If they ever did a console forever exclusive with X box then that would be it for me buying TR games. May it never have to come to that.

Murphdawg1
10th Dec 2014, 20:07
Finally voted and said Yes. If Square doesn't want my money then I won't stick around or buy any of their other games.

Weemanply109
10th Dec 2014, 20:52
Considering the recent news regarding M$ publishing the game and such (tho, I thought this was quite apparent since M$ usually always publishes their exclusives (timed included) ), my opinion remains, I'll only depart from this series if the game is trash, not anything else.

NightRain'06
17th Dec 2014, 23:25
As my post title states ~ to reiterate adamantly ~ No ! I will never abandon TR and Lara Croft !

TR was one of the first third person perspective video games I grew up with during the '90's and the franchise was and is fun to play for me, personally.

I've even purchased different versions of the previous games ~ most recent being the TR Definitive Edition for the PS4.

And, as I've said in another thread, although the news some months ago regarding the new TR being a MS Xbox One exclusive [ timed or not ] was a bit sad, I am almost completely certain MS may announce an Xbox One TR Bundle at a reasonable price ~ as they usually have done in the past with other games, regardless of those games being exclusives or multi-platforms ~ to obtain more customers. So, I will purchase the plausible Xbox One TR bundle at the end of next year, that is, if MS does treat us gamers with that amazing Holiday gift. :D

Not to be off-tangent, but this will be a repeat of what I've done with Bayonetta game.
As I became an instant fan of that game, when news regarding the sequel came out, exclusive to the Wii U, I've decided to eventually get the console because I loved the first so much. And I'm ever so grateful to Nintendo for the sequel and hope for more in the future.

And, yes, if and when the PS4 version of new TR game does get released, I will likely purchase that version as well.

Charlie_T_Raider
17th Jan 2015, 10:42
If CD don't want us or want us enough to give all future games a year after xbox then I would walk away but it would be me being pushed rather than wanting to go.

And, as I've said in another thread, although the news some months ago regarding the new TR being a MS Xbox One exclusive [ timed or not ] was a bit sad, I am almost completely certain MS may announce an Xbox One TR Bundle at a reasonable price ~ as they usually have done in the past with other games, regardless of those games being exclusives or multi-platforms ~ to obtain more customers. So, I will purchase the plausible Xbox One TR bundle at the end of next year, that is, if MS does treat us gamers with that amazing Holiday gift. :D

Rip us off for slightly less money - how generous. We wouldn't have to pay anything other than £40-£50 for the game if MS didn't do this so I hope no TR fans will reward them with any money. I won't be buying an xbox even if that means I don't get to play TR.

gemekaa
18th Jan 2015, 08:30
...I don't want to abandon the series...

That said - if it doesn't come out on PC, I won't play it. I don't have an X-Box (or any console), and don't plan on buying one. So the only way I'll play the game is on a PC.

Limiting their market is stupid, but other games have done it, so I guess we will see.

Steel_Wing
13th Feb 2015, 14:40
It would be a terrible mistake if a future TR went permanent exclusive so I would not support any TR made by CD again if that happened.

Photodinopathy
2nd Jun 2015, 15:57
If it is timed then no but permanent yes

Iskenderun
20th Jun 2015, 15:22
No, I will not abandon Lara!
Firstly I'll say that buying a console for a must-play game is not inconceivable (I've done it twice before!)... does TR reach that status for me? Probably. Just.
I haven't made the jump to current-gen yet, and whilst I've mostly been gaming on the X360 for the last few years, I'm now kind of veering towards getting a PS4 in the autumn. Fallout 4 should keep me occupied for a few months, and I'll re-assess then.
If I get the irrestible urge to play TR in December: there's an XBone with massive TV at work!

Gitb97
20th Jun 2015, 18:27
-I think i've posted in this thread before but I can't remember-
Honestly, before they announced Rise was an exclusive, I was eyeing up a PS4 and was going to ask my parents for that for my birthday. When they announced it's XBOX Exclusive, I asked for an xbone. Not going to deny it.
That said, I would've waited for the release on ps4 without complaints if I had gone with my original choice (mainly because i'd have chosen ps4 fully aware that it was an exclusive.) and bought the game when it was released. TR is the game that made me so passionate about gaming, why would I leave it behind? :p

edit: I also wish there was an option to change your poll answer. I can't remember voting in this thread and my answer on the poll contradicts my true opinion

d1n0_xD
20th Jun 2015, 18:32
TR is the game that made me so passionate about gaming, why would I leave it behind? :p

Yeah, I gotta say, it all kinda started with TR for me, as well :) Played games before, like Counter-Strike, Pro Evolution Soccer, and GTA: Vice City, you know, the games everyone and their mother played, but TR Legend was the turning point (see what I did there? :p ) and it built me into a gamer I am today, a gamer that loves nearly all types of games ^_^

And it's amazing how excited I can be for a game, but when TR is in the picture, those excitements pale in comparison to excitement I have for TR (first Underworld, then the reboot, and now Rise, and hopefully many other to come ^^ )

Gemma_Darkmoon_
20th Jun 2015, 18:35
That said, I would've waited for the release on ps4 without complaints if I had gone with my original choice (mainly because i'd have chosen ps4 fully aware that it was an exclusive.) and bought the game when it was released. TR is the game that made me so passionate about gaming, why would I leave it behind? :p

Before TR I was into SEGA consoles and was TR1 on Saturn to TR2 on PS1 that switched me to playing Playstation. As much as Nintendo consoles or Xbox come along have always stuck to PS and PC as my main priorities through the gens with TR the main pull. Now though there is enough of the other games I play are all on PS/PC that really if I did get Xbox is for one game. Maybe though I would have different console preferences if it weren't for TR.

Gitb97
20th Jun 2015, 21:27
Yeah, I gotta say, it all kinda started with TR for me, as well :) Played games before, like Counter-Strike, Pro Evolution Soccer, and GTA: Vice City, you know, the games everyone and their mother played, but TR Legend was the turning point (see what I did there? :p ) and it built me into a gamer I am today, a gamer that loves nearly all types of games ^_^

And it's amazing how excited I can be for a game, but when TR is in the picture, those excitements pale in comparison to excitement I have for TR (first Underworld, then the reboot, and now Rise, and hopefully many other to come ^^ )

Literally the exact same for me - I was like... nine maybe eight? when I started playing TR.
Vice City, Halo, racing games and whatnot kept me amused but I never felt sucked in and involved the way I did with Tomb Raider - it was the first game I loved and honestly, I can't see myself leaving it behind just because of deals and reboots.

@Gemma
I had a PS1, PS2 and original xbox, and I think I had a gameboy colour at some point before getting one of those pink gameboys that were like the size of a childs ruler, so I've never been dedicated to one system before or after TR. I got sick of my xbox when I realized I had to pay to change my *very* embarrassing gamertag, and I plan on changing it when I get my xbone because it's SO bad! But the only reason I asked for an XBONE was for TR... So maybe that says a lot about me haha

YardFowl
21st Jun 2015, 00:51
I will walk. No PS4/PC release would mean that at best, fans on these platforms have been relegated to second class to fans on Xbox, and at worst, fans on these platforms have no place in the company's vision for the franchise. I am second class to no one and I do not linger where I am not wanted.

Valenka
21st Jun 2015, 01:39
I expect everyone who voted 'yes' to have their forum accounts closed. :lol:

s-jay2676
21st Jun 2015, 13:31
Absolutely. In fact I'm already halfway out the door.

kiadaw-Spidey
21st Jun 2015, 19:24
I will walk. No PS4/PC release would mean that at best, fans on these platforms have been relegated to second class to fans on Xbox, and at worst, fans on these platforms have no place in the company's vision for the franchise. I am second class to no one and I do not linger where I am not wanted.

So you won't buy if a new car model, or new phone that you fancy, or watch a movie if it arrived at your city/country later than other cities/countries? Because it made you feel second class?

YardFowl
21st Jun 2015, 20:14
So you won't buy if a new car model, or new phone that you fancy, or watch a movie if it arrived at your city/country later than other cities/countries? Because it made you feel second class?

Your analogy is very flawed. There is no "XBox Tomb Raider Community", "Playstation Tomb Raider Community" or "PC Tomb Raider Community", each with different laws and regulations by which the company must abide in order to distribute the game to each one. There is only the Tomb Raider Fan Community. It is unfair for the game to be offered only to fans on one platform to the exclusion of the others, or only to be given to the others later, as if that one platform is somehow more important than the others.

WinterSoldierLTE
22nd Jun 2015, 07:39
I expect everyone who voted 'yes' to have their forum accounts closed. :lol:

Why?

Chocolate_shake
22nd Jun 2015, 08:52
Nope , I am not walking away . TR is part of my life now , for better , for worse .

Even if Rise ( or even future TR titles ) becomes Xbox exclusive , there will be still games to play ( LC series , mobile games ) and replay , comics & novels to read , people to talk to and share my passion with

BeckyB
22nd Jun 2015, 09:59
I don't think i will walk away abit gutted i's not on the ps4 now but do have a xbox one :)

Gitb97
22nd Jun 2015, 13:31
^ Kinda off topic but who is the artist in the right hand side of your sig with "rise of the tomb raider" on it? Idk if it's official and I've been using it as my laptop lock screen for a few weeks and can't find it again :o

Aaannnnnyway

Nope , I am not walking away . TR is part of my life now , for better , for worse .

Even if Rise ( or even future TR titles ) becomes Xbox exclusive , there will be still games to play ( LC series , mobile games ) and replay , comics & novels to read , people to talk to and share my passion with

Nice way of looking at it :D I've been playing Relic Run again actually. It's a fun pass-time, I'm sure they will release more stuff like this anyway (They've already announced Go) so I'm sure there will be loads of TR related things to do whilst PC/PS gamers wait for the game :)

d1n0_xD
22nd Jun 2015, 13:35
^ Oh, man, I've been meaning to play Relic Run, but my phone can't get it past the loading screen xD Man, what luck, bad PC, bad phone, Tomb Raider eludes me :p

Gitb97
22nd Jun 2015, 13:39
^ What phone do you have? I use an iPhone 5s to play it on mine and it runs alright, theres just a little bit of lag here and there

d1n0_xD
22nd Jun 2015, 13:45
Full name is LG Optimus L4 II E440. Kinda old compared to the latest models (they're like computers xD), so it can't quite run more demanding games. The game crashes everytime the loadin screen hits 100%, I guess it can't handle what it loaded xD

Barrier_Maiden
22nd Jun 2015, 13:46
I think 'walk away' is an overly dramatic way of putting it, but if RotTR doesn't come to PS4 I certainly won't be buying anymore TR games.

Gitb97
22nd Jun 2015, 13:54
Full name is LG Optimus L4 II E440. Kinda old compared to the latest models (they're like computers xD), so it can't quite run more demanding games. The game crashes everytime the loadin screen hits 100%, I guess it can't handle what it loaded xD

Ohh right, yeah I used to have the same issue when I had a samsung, I can't remember the model but it was reaaally old compared to all these new models, couldn't run even candy crush on it :lmao:

Valenka
22nd Jun 2015, 18:02
I think 'walk away' is an overly dramatic way of putting it, but if RotTR doesn't come to PS4 I certainly won't be buying anymore TR games.

Not even if the subsequent games are available on all platforms?

Barrier_Maiden
22nd Jun 2015, 18:42
Not even if the subsequent games are available on all platforms?

Nope. I can't stand feeling like I've missed out on part of the story, and the series would be tainted for me. I just really don't like this deal at all. Putting the first game out on all platforms and then the sequel on just two is such a jerk move.

Gitb97
22nd Jun 2015, 19:14
I would just watch walkthroughs tbh and keep buying the game :') I'm too much of a fangirl over this game to abandon it, not sure if that's a bad thing or...
Don't they change whos p much "in charge" of the game, every time theres a new game btw?

Valenka
22nd Jun 2015, 22:22
Nope. I can't stand feeling like I've missed out on part of the story, and the series would be tainted for me. I just really don't like this deal at all. Putting the first game out on all platforms and then the sequel on just two is such a jerk move.

Interesting.

I wonder, then, if you would feel the same way if you've never been able to get a PlayStation, for example, and therefore have never experienced Tomb Raider (1996) through Chronicles. Would you have the same mindset and simply never have played Tomb Raider because you've "missed out on part of the story" over the course of five video games?

Larafan1996
22nd Jun 2015, 22:47
If someone didn't have a playstation they could of still played it on pc, there has always been at least those 2 options for the Tomb Raider fanbase until now. The ones who missed out on those first 5 would be users who soley use xbox or nintendo in which case they would be 4 years too late to the party (7 if you include angel of darkness).

Plus Rise is the direct sequel to the reboot, all the events that happen follow on directly from that game unlike 1-6 moving to legend.

Can't say I would walk away as TR has always been my favorite series, but I'm not going to rush out to spend £300+ (with console tax of £40 a year for 5 or more years due to pointless subscription fees) on a machine much less capable than that which I already own.

Valenka
22nd Jun 2015, 23:22
If someone didn't have a playstation they could of still played it on pc, there has always been at least those 2 options for the Tomb Raider fanbase until now. The ones who missed out on those first 5 would be users who soley use xbox or nintendo in which case they would be 4 years too late to the party (7 if you include angel of darkness).

You missed the point. I'm well aware that the Core Design titles were on more platforms than just PlayStation, but if you noticed the bold and italicized "for example," the question was in a rhetorical instance situation.

Plus Rise is the direct sequel to the reboot, all the events that happen follow on directly from that game unlike 1-6 moving to legend.

Again, the point has been missed. ;)

Can't say I would walk away as TR has always been my favorite series, but I'm not going to rush out to spend £300+ (with console tax of £40 a year for 5 or more years due to pointless subscription fees) on a machine much less capable than that which I already own.

Oh my Lord, be careful with how you word certain things. Your last comment might attract a console war.

YardFowl
23rd Jun 2015, 03:13
Nice way of looking at it :D I've been playing Relic Run again actually. It's a fun pass-time, I'm sure they will release more stuff like this anyway (They've already announced Go) so I'm sure there will be loads of TR related things to do whilst PC/PS gamers wait for the game :)

I plan to hang with Nathan Drake. Uncharted 4 looks incredible.

Tecstar70
23rd Jun 2015, 07:27
I plan to hang with Nathan Drake. Uncharted 4 looks incredible.

It's doing Ok for a Tomb Raider clone.

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Jun 2015, 09:55
It's doing Ok for a Tomb Raider clone.

Actually, IMO 'TR2013' has much more in common with and borrowed from 'Uncharted' than 'Uncharted' does from any TR game made before it as far as gameplay and mechanics go. Concept wise tho, yes, it's a TR clone.

d1n0_xD
23rd Jun 2015, 09:56
Let us not start UC/TR wars, please, both are great games, and this war wouldn't even be real if Uncharted wasn't an exclusive. Why do people have the need to always compare games, and say which one is better xD

I remember when Dragon Age Inquisition came out, and people were like, "not better than Witcher 3", and I'm like first of all Witcher 3 hasn't even come out, second of all, why the comparison? Some people think DAI is better, some people have a better connection to the DA franchise. Personally, I think both games are great, no need to compare them, same way with TR/UC, when I see people loving both UC and TR, it gives me joy :D

And I think it all comes to "justifying purchases", same way with the consoles. "I need to know that I made the right decision by purchasing this game/console or being a fanboy of this game/console, so I'm gonna bash others, because I know I'm superior" :D Why can't we all recognize that we'd rather have all platforms, but we can't, so we're stuck with the ones we have :D

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Jun 2015, 09:59
^^^ Oh, I'm not trying to fan the flames of anything. I prefer TR to 'Uncharted'. But I also can't deny the similarities. With that being said tho, and I'm sure I've said this before, for me personally everything TR borrowed from 'Uncharted' TR did better. But I only played the first 'Uncharted' and only got maybe 3/4 of the way through it.

AdeleDazeem
23rd Jun 2015, 10:11
^^^ Oh, I'm not trying to fan the flames of anything. I prefer TR to 'Uncharted'. But I also can't deny the similarities. With that being said tho, and I'm sure I've said this before, for me personally everything TR borrowed from 'Uncharted' TR did better. But I only played the first 'Uncharted' and only got maybe 3/4 of the way through it.

I agree. Before TR9 came out, I actually prefered Uncharted over Tomb Raider. The coverbased overshoulder gameplay from Uncharted was completely new for me and became my favorite kind of gameplay. I still prefer that over the 'running and gunning' from original Tomb Raiders. But then TR9 came along and, indeed, 'wear it better'.

Both franchises are completely different, yeah. But as mentioned above, they borrowed bits and pieces from eachother. But still, 2 games that differ in many other ways. Liking one doesn't automatically mean you like the other too :)

kevin867446
24th Jun 2015, 04:31
Well,seriously I am not going to buy Rise even if will release on PC/PS4 later or not.
I'll still as a TR fan but without buying any product if CD do the same contract on next game.
In this situation,I guess I just say "Adios" to CD.
Yah,kind of these things piss me off & hurts my interest in the game.

BTW,I come from Taiwan.

Driber
24th Jun 2015, 17:32

What if after some years you get an xbox which enables you to play the game after all, would you then 'come back' to the franchise?

Barrier_Maiden
24th Jun 2015, 21:18
What if after some years you get an xbox which enables you to play the game after all, would you then 'come back' to the franchise?

I honestly can't imagine ever getting one. I've only ever had one console per generation and since I bid my Sega Genesis adieu they've all been Playstations. I have nothing against the XBox, but Playstations have always worked for me, so I stick with them. If, hypothetically, I were to get an XBox, I would absolutely buy a used copy of RotTR.

Valenka
25th Jun 2015, 03:10
@Barrier_Maiden, I'm not sure if you missed my earlier post here (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=146652&page=7&p=2133616#post2133616), but I am looking forward to reading your response. :)

Barrier_Maiden
25th Jun 2015, 16:44
@Barrier_Maiden, I'm not sure if you missed my earlier post here (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=146652&page=7&p=2133616#post2133616), but I am looking forward to reading your response. :)

I played Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 1 because at the time ME1 wasn't available on PS3. ME1 wasn't available, and ME2 came with an interactive comic that told the story from ME1. In that case, I couldn't play the first game because I didn't have an XBox, and I felt like I was sufficiently caught up from the comic.

Tomb Raider is different because I bought the original, loved it, and now possibly won't get to play the sequel. I don't want to miss out on the whole middle of a story. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, I'm not saying I'm doing the right thing or the smart thing, I'm just talking about what I'd do or might do based on my own very subjective feelings.

Tecstar70
25th Jun 2015, 16:48
I played Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect 1 because at the time ME1 wasn't available on PS3. ME1 wasn't available, and ME2 came with an interactive comic that told the story from ME1. In that case, I couldn't play the first game because I didn't have an XBox, and I felt like I was sufficiently caught up from the comic.

Tomb Raider is different because I bought the original, loved it, and now possibly won't get to play the sequel. I don't want to miss out on the whole middle of a story. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, I'm not saying I'm doing the right thing or the smart thing, I'm just talking about what I'd do or might do based on my own very subjective feelings.

I can only try to reassure you that it is very likely that it will come to other platforms, and many others also believe this to be so.

Gitb97
25th Jun 2015, 17:09

Why are you so convinced that it's not coming to other platforms? You'll definitely be able to play this game. :)

Barrier_Maiden
25th Jun 2015, 20:28
Why are you so convinced that it's not coming to other platforms? You'll definitely be able to play this game. :)

I'm not convinced it's not coming--I'm just not as convinced it will as ya'll are. But I live in hope. :thumb:

WinterSoldierLTE
25th Jun 2015, 23:01
I'm not convinced it's not coming--I'm just not as convinced it will as ya'll are. But I live in hope. :thumb:

The key word in "Timed exclusive" is timed. I know it's easy to ignore that word and focus on "exclusive", but it's a pretty important word.

medievil1
26th Jun 2015, 01:23
The key word in "Timed exclusive" is timed. I know it's easy to ignore that word and focus on "exclusive", but it's a pretty important word.
timed means absolutely nothing when the duration could be 1 year or 5 years...and it doesn't' change the fact that the game will be spoiled for ps4/pc fans across the net anyway...

WinterSoldierLTE
26th Jun 2015, 01:48
timed means absolutely nothing when the duration could be 1 year or 5 years...and it doesn't' change the fact that the game will be spoiled for ps4/pc fans across the net anyway...

Oh, ffs. If knowing what happens in parts of a game ruins all of your enjoyment of it for you, I don't know what to tell you. You're always going to run that risk in this day and age of the Internet. But if you can't resist the temptation to watch a "Let's Play" or read a review marked "Spoilers ahead" (you should always expect some tiny degree of spoilers in any review for any game tho), or even read the story synopsis on it's Wikkipedia page that's your fault, not CDs. And if you know people who like to brag "Guess what happens on level 7! Go on! Guess!" then kick 'em in the friggin' shins and move on.

d1n0_xD
26th Jun 2015, 08:02
I know it's not gonna get spoiled for me, because I can control myself :D I remember when reboot came out (I couldn't play it at the time, didn't have a good PC, similar situation to this one, when you think about it), so I just removed myself from the forums, didn't watch lets plays, even from my favourite youtubers that I'd like to see what they think about the game. I removed all the spoilers on tumblr, just everything :D So, IMO, the "spoiling" argument kinda fails :D And I agree with you, WinterSoldier, that spoilers are the user's fault, not the developer's.

medievil1
26th Jun 2015, 14:35
I know it's not gonna get spoiled for me, because I can control myself :D I remember when reboot came out (I couldn't play it at the time, didn't have a good PC, similar situation to this one, when you think about it), so I just removed myself from the forums, didn't watch lets plays, even from my favourite youtubers that I'd like to see what they think about the game. I removed all the spoilers on tumblr, just everything :D So, IMO, the "spoiling" argument kinda fails :D And I agree with you, WinterSoldier, that spoilers are the user's fault, not the developer's.
when the reboot came out it was available for all systems out at the time (Last gen ps3/360 and PC) so yes spoiled at that time would be your fault. This however is NOT going to be out for all systems... could be a year eve 2 or 5, no one knows, WHEN it will be out... how is it then your fault if something happens or heck you are flipping channels and someone is rehashing the game on some show.. things happen, you get spoiled...which you wouldn't have if the game had been available for purchase on your system. And lets not forget the xbots that will post on every forum, message board, group, etc purposely trying to spoil the game for PC/PS4 users just to thumb their nose at them because the xbone is losing so badly...

WinterSoldierLTE
26th Jun 2015, 23:02
when the reboot came out it was available for all systems out at the time (Last gen ps3/360 and PC) so yes spoiled at that time would be your fault. This however is NOT going to be out for all systems... could be a year eve 2 or 5, no one knows, WHEN it will be out... how is it then your fault if something happens or heck you are flipping channels and someone is rehashing the game on some show.. things happen, you get spoiled...which you wouldn't have if the game had been available for purchase on your system. And lets not forget the xbots that will post on every forum, message board, group, etc purposely trying to spoil the game for PC/PS4 users just to thumb their nose at them because the xbone is losing so badly...

Look, I'm not gonna lie and say "You will never, ever come across one spoiler before you play it", but you do have the power to not watch those shows, or anything else for that matter. It's your choice to watch it or not. You can argue "But if it was for everyone all at once it wouldn't be a temptation I'd have to wrestle with!" all you want, but at the end of the day it's on you to minimize what degree of spoilers you're exposed to.

And lets not forget the xbots that will post on every forum, message board, group, etc purposely trying to spoil the game for PC/PS4 users just to thumb their nose at them because the xbone is losing so badly...

This makes me wonder: What position would you hold if it were exclusive to Sony or PC?

Relic_Runner
20th Jul 2015, 14:12
Only way to avoid spoilers is not to go on the forums but then I guess could feel even more like out of the picture so is tricky one.

Tecstar70
20th Jul 2015, 14:19
And lets not forget the xbots that will post on every forum, message board, group, etc purposely trying to spoil the game for PC/PS4 users just to thumb their nose at them because the xbone is losing so badly...
Well anyone who does that is childish and pathetic, but then unfortunately the internet is full of people like that so it's not specific to this scenario.

Valenka
20th Jul 2015, 16:11
when the reboot came out it was available for all systems out at the time (Last gen ps3/360 and PC) so yes spoiled at that time would be your fault. This however is NOT going to be out for all systems... could be a year eve 2 or 5, no one knows, WHEN it will be out... how is it then your fault if something happens or heck you are flipping channels and someone is rehashing the game on some show.. things happen, you get spoiled...which you wouldn't have if the game had been available for purchase on your system.

Well, for starters, it's your eyes and ears. You should know well enough how and when to stay away from certain outlets when spoiler-worthy content is floating about. I mean, if you're flipping through television channels, the only spoiler you'd have time to see (if you're actually flipping through channels and not stopping on each one) is if someone gets shot or something; any sort of quick event. But with that being said, I don't know what kind of television programs are on your television, but even the video game channels I know of do not show spoiler-worthy content.

No offense, but the argument of "I wouldn't have gotten spoiled if the game had been available for purchase on my system" is a load of crap. What if you were broke and couldn't afford a copy? What if the game was sold out? What if you lived in the UK and didn't get the game until three days after the Americans? To blame the presence of spoilers on the Xbox exclusivity deal is not only a baseless and weightless argument, but frankly, it's very immature and hysterical.

Witnessing spoilers is no one's fault but your own, to be honest, regardless of what platforms the game is available on. Sure, there are a handful of rude and ignorant people who will deliberately post spoilers, but the fact of the matter is: you're the one who chose to come onto the forums during a spoiler-worthy time, you're the one who chose to watch YouTube videos regarding the game. Don't want to see or read spoilers? Don't go where they were obviously be. That's like walking into a bear's den and getting mad at the bear for being there.

http://c2.thejournal.ie/media/2014/07/7879352.gif

First of all, you need to stop with the not-so-subtle fanning of the flames. I speak for a lot of people when I say that most of us are sick and tired of the constant Xbox vs. PlayStation hullabaloo. Secondly, those "Xbots" who are the Xbox console's field defenders are too busy in a pissing match with the "Playbots" fighting over which console is best, that they don't have time to register on random forums just to spoil a Lara Croft video game. Lastly, losing is subjective. Some people find the Xbox better, some people find it on the same level as the PlayStation. Not to mention the fact that neither the Xbox nor PlayStation can lose something that doesn't even officially exist. This "console war" is user-created, tedious and immature.

Grow up.

TranceTrouble
20th Jul 2015, 18:11
First of all, you need to stop with the not-so-subtle fanning of the flames. I speak for a lot of people when I say that most of us are sick and tired of the constant Xbox vs. PlayStation hullabaloo. Secondly, those "Xbots" who are the Xbox console's field defenders are too busy in a pissing match with the "Playbots" fighting over which console is best, that they don't have time to register on random forums just to spoil a Lara Croft video game. Lastly, losing is subjective. Some people find the Xbox better, some people find it on the same level as the PlayStation. Not to mention the fact that neither the Xbox nor PlayStation can lose something that doesn't even officially exist. This "console war" is user-created, tedious and immature.

Grow up.

all right lets keep this nice shall we? we all know that medievil is putting all the blame on the xbox deal, he has the right to say as long as it is kept civil and pointed out as before in the notification. i personally do get sick of all the xbox discussions as well, but choose to ignore most of the time.

Valenka
20th Jul 2015, 18:54
all right lets keep this nice shall we? we all know that medievil is putting all the blame on the xbox deal, he has the right to say as long as it is kept civil and pointed out as before in the notification. i personally do get sick of all the xbox discussions as well, but choose to ignore most of the time.

I apologize, I should have worded that more positively.

I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to discuss or complain about the Xbox deal whatsoever. After all, we are on a community forum and can discuss any appropriate topics. I tend to ignore what doesn't interest me, but I personally find that there is no reasonable need to pin the blame for something like spoilers on the Xbox deal. That's absolutely ludicrous; to say that spoilers can be avoided if the game was released on all platforms...that is just...nonsensical, for lack of a better word.

Driber
20th Jul 2015, 20:15
I apologize, I should have worded that more positively.

I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to discuss or complain about the Xbox deal whatsoever. After all, we are on a community forum and can discuss any appropriate topics. I tend to ignore what doesn't interest me, but I personally find that there is no reasonable need to pin the blame for something like spoilers on the Xbox deal. That's absolutely ludicrous; to say that spoilers can be avoided if the game was released on all platforms...that is just...nonsensical, for lack of a better word.

I don't think the spoiler argument itself is ludicrous. It's a valid argument; fans who are forced to wait xx months to play TR10 due to the xbox deal do have a much higher chance of having the game spoiled compared to a scenario where TR10 had no exclusivity deal and all other factors being exactly the same. That's just logic we can't get around.

Error96_
21st Jul 2015, 01:23
What if you were broke and couldn't afford a copy? What if the game was sold out? What if you lived in the UK and didn't get the game until three days after the Americans? To blame the presence of spoilers on the Xbox exclusivity deal is not only a baseless and weightless argument, but frankly, it's very immature and hysterical.

All of these are a short period of time things. 3 days compared to a number of months IS dramatically going to increase the chance of seeing spoilers. You can intentionally avoid them for a short while if you go not going to look but say with a Facebook/Twitter etc account you can not go on there for 3 days because you friends or a TR page you joined may post a spoiler but not months.

Grow up.

Much as many want to portray it as that I really don't see the deal as Xbox against PlayStation more a separate choice for this game between good of the TR community or not. People wouldn't have to go on about it if weren't made. However much noise has been made by the fans is hard to say from CD answers if it got through and answering 'Microsoft are a great partner' every time they get asked about your PS fans is miles from reassuring and has partly led to why things have been so prolonged.

In the PS vs Xbox debate I think the consoles are pretty evenly matched though I prefer PS. PS is probably winning this round but that may be because Xbox had a really bad start with marketing. MS have got enough money from other sectors and Sony finding times more difficult so if anything Xbox may do better long term. I think either way neither are going to beat the other in he near future so is more about enjoying the one you have.

Tihocan
21st Jul 2015, 01:45
Yeah, spoilers are my number one worry with this exclusivity as well. Do I care that XBoxOne users are going to be playing it before me? No - the same way I don't care that some people are playing a beta before I get to see retail.
What I'm concerned about is getting on here and some toss-pot has posted "OMG Roth back from the dead!!!1one!1" in a subject line, or I'm on a games site and they've posted an analysis of the "most super controversial Lara-Sam love scene in RotTR!"

These games are story driven, so revealing parts of the story out of context loses the drive. I think people shouldn't open fire like that on a valid concern.

Tecstar70
21st Jul 2015, 06:44
Yeah, spoilers are my number one worry with this exclusivity as well. Do I care that XBoxOne users are going to be playing it before me? No - the same way I don't care that some people are playing a beta before I get to see retail.
What I'm concerned about is getting on here and some toss-pot has posted "OMG Roth back from the dead!!!1one!1" in a subject line, or I'm on a games site and they've posted an analysis of the "most super controversial Lara-Sam love scene in RotTR!"

These games are story driven, so revealing parts of the story out of context loses the drive. I think people shouldn't open fire like that on a valid concern.

I know with TR2013 the mods did everything they could to stop spoilers and as far as I cab recall there wasn't any big issues. That does rely on the majority of people being cooperative as well.

chrisdaventry
21st Jul 2015, 11:31
I will walk away if and when they turn Lara into a Lesbian, man that was close in TR2013 with all the sweetie nonsense between Sam and Lara while they were sitting close to each other holding Hands and everyone kept telling me they are just Friends. I immediately Contacted the People close to the TR Project just to know if she was going Gay in witch they said No. If Lara is to have a Relationship, then bring on Kurtis Trent.

I dont care if there will be another deal or how more emotional they can turn Lara, (Trilogy) or if they make her Black (theres a thread on Tomb Raider Forums about it) i will still stick around, but making Lara Gay is the last line to be drawn.

If the Game wont come on PC/PS4, i have Faith in the Community to tell Microsoft that they should dig their Graves as quickly as possible.

a_big_house
21st Jul 2015, 14:00
If we have to, we can create a super spoiler thread and anything that can be considered a spoiler can be locked away in that thread :D

I personally don't see how someone can spoil these games though, they're more about the history and environments than characters; I mean, if we didn't know TR9 would show Lara's first kill and someone spoiled it, would it have made much difference to us?

WinterSoldierLTE
21st Jul 2015, 14:24
all the sweetie nonsense between Sam and Lara while they were sitting close to each other holding Hands and everyone kept telling me they are just Friends.

You mean Sam & Frodo? I don't remember that happening in TR2013. :scratch:

chrisdaventry
21st Jul 2015, 14:35
Dont Troll me mister, you know what i mean :p

Larafan1996
21st Jul 2015, 16:00
I personally don't see how someone can spoil these games though, they're more about the history and environments than characters; I mean, if we didn't know TR9 would show Lara's first kill and someone spoiled it, would it have made much difference to us?

Pre reboot I would agree the story was just window dressing for the gameplay but since 2013 it's all been about Lara's story and her rise to tomb raider, many gameplay segments are just glorified cutscenes these days. The real production values like mova are going into making lara the most human character possible, story/character/scripted moments are obviously the number 1 priority for the series now so any spoilers (which once all that exclusive holiday 2015 marketing begins it will not be easy to avoid) will greatly diminish that first play through experience.

WinterSoldierLTE
21st Jul 2015, 17:33
Dont Troll me mister, you know what i mean :p

Yeah I get what you mean, but I honestly don't remember them holding hands or doing anything else suggestive. What part was it in?

Valenka
21st Jul 2015, 18:59
I don't think the spoiler argument itself is ludicrous. It's a valid argument; fans who are forced to wait xx months to play TR10 due to the xbox deal do have a much higher chance of having the game spoiled compared to a scenario where TR10 had no exclusivity deal and all other factors being exactly the same. That's just logic we can't get around.

Yes, with all other factors remaining the same. However, would that argument still be valid if ROTTR was not platform exclusive and instead, said fans were forced to wait xx months to play it because they couldn't afford it? No. What would they do, argue that the spoilers are the publisher's fault for making the game so expensive? What if the game sold out? What would they do, argue that the spoilers are the publishers fault because they didn't produce enough copies? It doesn't matter how long you have to go before you can play the game; you can't blame something like spoilers on the developer or the exclusivity deal because they aren't the ones spoiling the game. The blame for spoilers should be placed upon those who choose to spoil the game or yourself for actively going where spoilers are known to be found.

All of these are a short period of time things. 3 days compared to a number of months IS dramatically going to increase the chance of seeing spoilers. You can intentionally avoid them for a short while if you go not going to look but say with a Facebook/Twitter etc account you can not go on there for 3 days because you friends or a TR page you joined may post a spoiler but not months.

Well, that's just one factor out of three that I've highlighted. Yes, it's a short period of time compared to the duration of the Xbox deal, but who's to say someone isn't going to complete ROTTR and completely spoil the game everywhere before the game even launches in PAL regions? I hope to God that isn't the case, of course, but it's completely plausible. Furthermore, you're correct: going a long period of time will increase the chances of the game being spoiled, but that doesn't mean it's anyone's fault but the people responsible for sharing spoiling content or yourself for actively going to where spoilers will be found.

The fact of the matter is, you cannot logically blame something like spoilers on the developer, publisher or any exclusivity arrangement. Spoilers exist regardless. It doesn't matter the length of time you stay away from certain media outlets; you can intentionally avoid spoilers completely if you really want to. If you really want to avoid spoilers completely, stay off of the Internet and don't talk with friends about the game if they've already played it. Yes, I already know your response: "Well, people shouldn't have to do that..." No, perhaps not. But sometimes, we all have to do things we shouldn't have to do. It's part of life.

I mean, let's say for example that Jane Smith didn't want to risk finding spoilers, so she went out and bought an Xbox One to play ROTTR and experience it for herself before someone could spoil the experience. Her neighbor, John Doe sees her coming home with the Xbox and the game and says, "You're going to love that game! You won't believe that [enter massive spoiler here]!"

Are you still going to blame the Xbox deal for John Doe spoiling the game for Jane Smith? No. You're going to blame John Doe because John told Jane a massive spoiler. You're going to blame the person who delivered the spoiler. So why would you find it acceptable or logical to blame anyone or anything other than the party responsible for delivering spoiler-worthy information?

Driber, Error96_, you two might completely disagree with my outlook on the situation, but I honestly cannot find any ounce of logic in blaming spoilers on anything other than the person who delivered the spoiler or oneself for actively going to where spoilers are found.

I'm sorry, but that's the only way I see it.

Much as many want to portray it as that I really don't see the deal as Xbox against PlayStation more a separate choice for this game between good of the TR community or not. People wouldn't have to go on about it if weren't made. However much noise has been made by the fans is hard to say from CD answers if it got through and answering 'Microsoft are a great partner' every time they get asked about your PS fans is miles from reassuring and has partly led to why things have been so prolonged.

I see the whole arrangement as Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics making a business decision that is believed to yield solid revenue and marketing. The consequence: alienating part of your fan community. Whether the outcome outweighs the consequence is entirely up to the company to decide.

I don't particularly agree with the arrangement, considering that in my opinion, you'd make good money as a multi-platform release without upsetting people opposed to a payout from Microsoft and upsetting a significant percentage of fans. I understand why they made the decision, but they should really consider a little more transparency. I personally do not think they're giving their PlayStation-owning TR fans the respect we all deserve together.

In the PS vs Xbox debate I think the consoles are pretty evenly matched though I prefer PS. PS is probably winning this round but that may be because Xbox had a really bad start with marketing. MS have got enough money from other sectors and Sony finding times more difficult so if anything Xbox may do better long term. I think either way neither are going to beat the other in he near future so is more about enjoying the one you have.

To be honest, I don't give a flying nun who "wins" what. I've always been a neutral party and will continue to be one until the end of time. I enjoy both consoles equally, even though I will always play one more than the other. Like you said, it's all about enjoying what you have. Neither the Xbox nor PlayStation will "win" as long as at least one person still buys one or the other. The only way Xbox or PlayStation will win is if everyone stops buying PlayStation and turns to Xbox instead or vice versa.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
21st Jul 2015, 21:21
I will walk away if and when they turn Lara into a Lesbian, man that was close in TR2013 with all the sweetie nonsense between Sam and Lara while they were sitting close to each other holding Hands and everyone kept telling me they are just Friends. I immediately Contacted the People close to the TR Project just to know if she was going Gay in witch they said No. If Lara is to have a Relationship, then bring on Kurtis Trent.

I dont care if there will be another deal or how more emotional they can turn Lara, (Trilogy) or if they make her Black (theres a thread on Tomb Raider Forums about it) i will still stick around, but making Lara Gay is the last line to be drawn.

If the Game wont come on PC/PS4, i have Faith in the Community to tell Microsoft that they should dig their Graves as quickly as possible.

With the stuff between Lara and Sam they just seemed like friends. On the island relationships might seem closer because of a pressure cooker type situation so people might be closer from fear or trauma. If there was some flirting there does not mean she is a lesbian and even bi-curious would be a big assumption from just what was in the game. We did see Lara in the old games have attraction to Larson and Kurtis and sure some may say different universe but still. I wouldn't have a problem myself if she was gay but I really don't see much to imply that.

MS is such a big company they won't worry about the backlash. If they don't put it out on other platforms then SE and CD will be the ones who the backlash would damage.

I don't particularly agree with the arrangement, considering that in my opinion, you'd make good money as a multi-platform release without upsetting people opposed to a payout from Microsoft and upsetting a significant percentage of fans. I understand why they made the decision, but they should really consider a little more transparency. I personally do not think they're giving their PlayStation-owning TR fans the respect we all deserve together.

They could have done well without it and done a better thing for those who supported them by buying TR(2013) and before that. I do feel very disappointed but they can't change that. When they saw that the fans were really hurt by this decision (perhaps far more than they expected) why havn't grasped the issue and switched to a more sympathetic tone? I hope we will get as you say more transparency from them. ROTTR is the game I most want to play of all the games coming up but is hard to be fully in to when it might potentially be over a year away.

To be honest, I don't give a flying nun who "wins" what. I've always been a neutral party and will continue to be one until the end of time. I enjoy both consoles equally, even though I will always play one more than the other.

Just seems all the rivalry between the Xbox and PS territorial fans then means while one side go we got that one but then lose another one by the other platform and fans going we got that one. If your a PC gamer even worse. This kind of over the top fan rivalry is just make everyone win less. I wish people would more support great titles to get best widest market than to say 'we got that one and you didn't'. I am not really meaning all about TR but other games as it doesn't help us all.

Driber
21st Jul 2015, 22:18

Uhm, what? A gay Lara is the last straw for you, but don't care if she has a freaking race change? :eek: How does that even make sense!?

Oh and regarding LaraxKurtis...

http://driber.net/os/lara-no.png

If we have to, we can create a super spoiler thread and anything that can be considered a spoiler can be locked away in that thread :D

Yeah we did something like that during launch of TR9. We can certainly do another dedicated spoiler thread this November. Someone remind me before launch :)

Yeah I get what you mean, but I honestly don't remember them holding hands or doing anything else suggestive. What part was it in?

Whoah, dude, did you miss the whole Lara and Sam thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=137684) or something? Those scenes have been mentioned there... ad nauseam :D

Yes, with all other factors remaining the same. However, would that argument still be valid if ROTTR was not platform exclusive and instead, said fans were forced to wait xx months to play it because they couldn't afford it? No.

Correct. But who's to say these fans won't be able to afford it? Fans who have $60 set aside for the release of TR10 would have a perfectly legitimate argument regarding spoilers due to the xbox deal.

What would they do, argue that the spoilers are the publisher's fault for making the game so expensive?

I'm sure no one would be that crazy.

Then again, this is the internet...

What if the game sold out? What would they do, argue that the spoilers are the publishers fault because they didn't produce enough copies?

If they do, they'll surely get no sympathy from me.

It doesn't matter how long you have to go before you can play the game; you can't blame something like spoilers on the developer or the exclusivity deal because they aren't the ones spoiling the game.

You can't blame the devs for other people spoiling the game, no. But you can blame the deal for making the lives of the more hardcore PC/PS fans a hell of a lot more difficult.

The blame for spoilers should be placed upon those who choose to spoil the game or yourself for actively going where spoilers are known to be found.

Aka the entire internet :p

The fact of the matter is, you cannot logically blame something like spoilers on the developer, publisher or any exclusivity arrangement. Spoilers exist regardless. It doesn't matter the length of time you stay away from certain media outlets; you can intentionally avoid spoilers completely if you really want to.

You mean like not watching TV, not going online, not talking to your friends and not going to school/work for entire months at a time? That's the only way to avoid spoilers completely.

If you really want to avoid spoilers completely, stay off of the Internet and don't talk with friends about the game if they've already played it. Yes, I already know your response: "Well, people shouldn't have to do that..." No, perhaps not. But sometimes, we all have to do things we shouldn't have to do. It's part of life.

Oh wow. I was typing my text above as I worked through your post and didn't expect you to actually make this argument. But you did. Wow.

Okay, kids - let's all live in a padded room for a couple of months on Valenka's advice :D

I mean, let's say for example that Jane Smith didn't want to risk finding spoilers, so she went out and bought an Xbox One to play ROTTR and experience it for herself before someone could spoil the experience. Her neighbor, John Doe sees her coming home with the Xbox and the game and says, "You're going to love that game! You won't believe that [enter massive spoiler here]!"

Are you still going to blame the Xbox deal for John Doe spoiling the game for Jane Smith? No. You're going to blame John Doe because John told Jane a massive spoiler. You're going to blame the person who delivered the spoiler. So why would you find it acceptable or logical to blame anyone or anything other than the party responsible for delivering spoiler-worthy information?

Driber, Error96_, you two might completely disagree with my outlook on the situation, but I honestly cannot find any ounce of logic in blaming spoilers on anything other than the person who delivered the spoiler or oneself for actively going to where spoilers are found.

I'm sorry, but that's the only way I see it.

I admit your argument packs a punch. But allow me to retort with an analogy as well...

Let's say Jane Smith works at a McDonald's. Her shift is usually from 10.00 to 18.00, but one day the store is extra busy and her boss, John Doe wants her to work late, until 2 in the morning. Jane doesn't want to, because she lives in a bad neighborhood and is afraid to walk back home that late. Her boss doesn't really care and keeps insisting and threatens to fire Jane if she doesn't take the late shift. After a lot of struggle she finally reluctantly accepts. On her way back home that day, Jane gets mugged and raped.

Is her boss to blame for the mugging and the rape? According to your logic, no. And you'd be technically correct. Yet any regular person would at least be somewhat upset at her boss, no?

WinterSoldierLTE
21st Jul 2015, 23:55
Whoah, dude, did you miss the whole Lara and Sam thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=137684) or something? Those scenes have been mentioned there... ad nauseam :D

Hmm... Seems I did. Looks like that was a topic being majorly tossed around when I was living "In the void" with no internet. I do, however, remember about 5 years ago a bit after I first joined here saying I'd gotten the impression that Lara and Amanda had once had an intimate relationship, and if I remember right that was a bullet in a hornet's nest.

I still get that impression, btw. Not bringing up an old topic, just saying.

Valenka
22nd Jul 2015, 17:57
They could have done well without it and done a better thing for those who supported them by buying TR(2013) and before that. I do feel very disappointed but they can't change that. When they saw that the fans were really hurt by this decision (perhaps far more than they expected) why havn't grasped the issue and switched to a more sympathetic tone? I hope we will get as you say more transparency from them. ROTTR is the game I most want to play of all the games coming up but is hard to be fully in to when it might potentially be over a year away.

You're asking a really good question, Gemma. I wonder the same: after realizing the impact of their decision, why haven't they become more sympathetic about it? Are they really going down the "tough love" route? It's a little unsettling, I think. Maybe they'll surprise us all with the exclusivity deal being a lot shorter than we imagine.

Just seems all the rivalry between the Xbox and PS territorial fans then means while one side go we got that one but then lose another one by the other platform and fans going we got that one. If your a PC gamer even worse. This kind of over the top fan rivalry is just make everyone win less. I wish people would more support great titles to get best widest market than to say 'we got that one and you didn't'. I am not really meaning all about TR but other games as it doesn't help us all.

Agreed!

Oh and regarding LaraxKurtis...

http://driber.net/os/lara-no.png

I'll admit, Kurtis Trent is the only character I can imagine Lara in a relationship with. :whistle:

Correct. But who's to say these fans won't be able to afford it? Fans who have $60 set aside for the release of TR10 would have a perfectly legitimate argument regarding spoilers due to the xbox deal.

Driber, I said if. :p It was a hypothetical scenario for the sake of the discussion.

Let's say Jane Smith works at a McDonald's. Her shift is usually from 10.00 to 18.00, but one day the store is extra busy and her boss, John Doe wants her to work late, until 2 in the morning. Jane doesn't want to, because she lives in a bad neighborhood and is afraid to walk back home that late. Her boss doesn't really care and keeps insisting and threatens to fire Jane if she doesn't take the late shift. After a lot of struggle she finally reluctantly accepts. On her way back home that day, Jane gets mugged and raped.

Is her boss to blame for the mugging and the rape? According to your logic, no. And you'd be technically correct. Yet any regular person would at least be somewhat upset at her boss, no?

As you said: technically. Yes, any regular person would be somewhat upset at their boss because if they didn't make Jane work late, maybe that wouldn't have happened to her. And her anger or being upset at her boss because of it would be certainly understandable.

On a side note, I can't tell if you used the topic of rape to make your point because you know how I feel about that topic or if it was just a coincidence. Either way, a fair point indeed.

I get your point, but there's a big difference in severity here. I would rather not have access to Rise of the Tomb Raider and end up having a part of the game spoiled than be forced to work late and be raped on the way home from work at 2am. The concept is the same, but in a sense, it's apples and oranges here.

Driber
22nd Jul 2015, 20:05
Hmm... Seems I did. Looks like that was a topic being majorly tossed around when I was living "In the void" with no internet. I do, however, remember about 5 years ago a bit after I first joined here saying I'd gotten the impression that Lara and Amanda had once had an intimate relationship, and if I remember right that was a bullet in a hornet's nest.

I still get that impression, btw. Not bringing up an old topic, just saying.

Lara and Amanda made such a cute couple.

http://orig10.deviantart.net/0dd0/f/2012/211/8/4/__happy_family___by_driber-d594uaq.jpg

Driber, I said if. :p It was a hypothetical scenario for the sake of the discussion.

But you made that hypothetical in connection with your argument that being upset with CD regarding spoilers is ridiculous. So my point was that we're talking about people who could have afforded the game on day 1 if it wasn't for the exclusivity deal.

As you said: technically. Yes, any regular person would be somewhat upset at their boss because if they didn't make Jane work late, maybe that wouldn't have happened to her. And her anger or being upset at her boss because of it would be certainly understandable.

[..]

I get your point, but there's a big difference in severity here. I would rather not have access to Rise of the Tomb Raider and end up having a part of the game spoiled than be forced to work late and be raped on the way home from work at 2am. The concept is the same, but in a sense, it's apples and oranges here.

Well of course it's a difference in severity. I wasn't trying to imply that it was. It was just an analogy to make a point. A point which by your own words you got :)

On a side note, I can't tell if you used the topic of rape to make your point because you know how I feel about that topic or if it was just a coincidence. Either way, a fair point indeed.

Coincidence; it was merely the first thing that popped up in my head trying to think of an example. I actually don't recall how you feel about it. Remind me / link me? :)

WinterSoldierLTE
22nd Jul 2015, 23:40
Lara and Amanda made such a cute couple.

Yeah, I can see it. You know what set the ball rolling on that train of thought for me? When Lara sees Amanda for the first time since "the incident" and goes: "Amanda?!" And Amanda just responds with: "Damnit Lara, I'm busy!". That particular response, and the way it was delivered... it brought me right back to talking to a couple of my ex's. Them saying that to me, mind you. It was an "Oh, waaaaait a minute... I know that." moment for me.