PDA

View Full Version : A way to break the deal?

Murphdawg1
16th Aug 2014, 03:12
Just got to thinking, what if pre-order numbers for ROTTR were higher for PS4 and PC than Xbox One,anyone else think that would give Microsoft a perfect excuse to back out of the timed exclusive deal? Some may think I am crazy for even suggesting that the deal could be broken but hey Microsoft's caved before when they saw their pre-order numbers weren't all that hot. No Tomb Raider fan should have to wait even 1 extra day to get their hands on a game they were highly anticipating.

Elliot Kane
16th Aug 2014, 03:24
MS won't back out, IMO. They've clearly put a lot of money into this deal. And let's be honest, it's not their reputation that's going to suffer.

Tihocan
16th Aug 2014, 03:24
Doubt it - they will see it as "see, people are still going to buy it on PS4 anyway!"

Leon S. Kennedy
16th Aug 2014, 03:43
No they are not backing out. They have nothing to lose. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics do.

nodq24
16th Aug 2014, 04:37
Microsoft are going to hope that people cave in and buy an x1 to get the game day one. If I have an x1 before release I might buy the x1 version, but not 100% gauaranteed that I will since I'm only buying an x1 mainly for the exclusives that I have interest in.

Metalrocks
16th Aug 2014, 04:45
no, they sure will not. i guess they would even pop the cork for just pre order on their crapbox. im kind of curious how many people will actually buy a box just for TR. i sure will not get one. otherwise i would be already having a PS4 to play the last of us.

Leon S. Kennedy
16th Aug 2014, 05:08
no, they sure will not. i guess they would even pop the cork for just pre order on their crapbox. im kind of curious how many people will actually buy a box just for TR. i sure will not get one. otherwise i would be already having a PS4 to play the last of us.

I don't think many will, but Fall 2015 was going to be Halo 5 vs Uncharted 4. Now Microsoft has a really good counter for UC4 and that may get some sales for Xbox One from people that were on the fence. I completely understand why this deal is good for Microsoft.

AdobeArtist
16th Aug 2014, 05:10
I say we put a horse's head in Phil Spencer's bed :p :whistle:

Murphdawg1
16th Aug 2014, 05:25

I like how you rhymed that.:lmao:

Tecstar70
16th Aug 2014, 07:57
Just got to thinking, what if pre-order numbers for ROTTR were higher for PS4 and PC than Xbox One,anyone else think that would give Microsoft a perfect excuse to back out of the timed exclusive deal? Some may think I am crazy for even suggesting that the deal could be broken but hey Microsoft's caved before when they saw their pre-order numbers weren't all that hot. No Tomb Raider fan should have to wait even 1 extra day to get their hands on a game they were highly anticipating.

No. It just shows there is a market for a product that will be out early 2016.

kiadaw
16th Aug 2014, 10:23
There is a higher chance Emma Watson announced I am her fiancee in 2015.

You cannot just back out a contract, its legally binded. Otherwise, whats the point of signing one. What can happen is negotiating the terms and conditions of the contracts.

ROTR will be exclusive to X1 in Hoilday 2015, if you think otherwise, look at my first statement. After that is anyone guess.

DrCroft
16th Aug 2014, 12:15
Yep no chance it would change (though I would like to think there are SE lawyers burrowing through the document as we speak to find loopholes :p )

It will be interesting to see the stats for preorders that come in once the whole time frame has been announced.

Another interesting thing is, if we get a TR 11, has MS signed a multideal contract or will SE/CD go back to all platforms.

Jurre
16th Aug 2014, 12:36
(though I would like to think there are SE lawyers burrowing through the document as we speak to find loopholes :p )

Yeah, maybe the contract allows TR10 to be released on PS&PC if Lara in those versions will have a tattoo of a steaming turd on her cheek... :D Maybe six months of waiting wouldn't be so bad after all...

JaxGames
16th Aug 2014, 12:41
Yeah, maybe the contract allows TR10 to be released on PS&PC if Lara in those versions will have a tattoo of a steaming turd on her cheek... :D Maybe six months of waiting wouldn't be so bad after all...

Oh hell I'd pay extra for a tattoo of a steaming turn on her face.Maybe even have a tattoo in the CE :lol:

Metalrocks
16th Aug 2014, 12:59

like the idea :D
VC1_tdnZq1A

maybe the head of the guy from M$. no, not bill gates. unless it was his idea.

DrCroft
16th Aug 2014, 13:25
Oh hell I'd pay extra for a tattoo of a steaming turn on her face.Maybe even have a tattoo in the CE :lol:

Loving the idea! Send it in :lol:

Valenka
16th Aug 2014, 14:16

What makes you think you'll be able to preorder the game on PS4 or PC at the same time as Xbox One? As of right now, the only confirmation we have is that it's exclusive to Xbox for a period of time. No one confirmed if and when it'll come to other platforms.

Even still, it wouldn't make Microsoft back out of the deal considering the fact that the deal is already set in stone. Microsoft isn't going to back out of something they helped fund. They're not going to care if PS4 or PC preorders are higher (especially considering the fact that Microsoft owns the operating system on PCs) and will simply say, "Oh look, people are going to buy it on PS4 regardless."

Error96_
16th Aug 2014, 19:14
The deal is already set so is not much way to break it. Only chance is if CD see the fan response, realise they made a terrible mistake but even then the deal probably has so many clauses that they are locked in to it anyway.

Best thing we can do as fans is put huge pressure on CD not to pursue this closer relationship with Microsoft in future. Make sure that that deal looks far less tempting when they know that taking it will further damage the reputation of their company.

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 00:06
Reputations have already been hurt throughout this deal. It was a stupid idea to begin with and what irks me the most is that CD and SE had to have known how upset this would make people, yet continued with the deal anyways. I've kept to myself for the most part on the issue, but the more I think about it, the more angry it gets me. Sorry your console isn't selling like you planned, maybe if you made your own exclusive IPs that drew in an audience rather than buying off everyone else's, it would sell more units.

Elliot Kane
17th Aug 2014, 01:42
From Microsoft's POV, I doubt very much that they see TR as a franchise that will sell XBones on its own, but as a high profile and very popular franchise it will surely add to the weight of someone's decision if they are either contemplating buying an XBone or trying to decide which current gen console to get.

I think it is that general tipping of buying decisions in their favour that MS are hoping for, and chances are having TR as an exclusive, timed or otherwise, will give them exactly what they want.

For MS, it is thus a good long term decision. It is very unlikely they will lose anything from this deal.

For CD/SE, it's most likely all about the money, meaning it is a good short term decision. What they seem not to have considered (Or possibly they expect the storm to blow over after a while - and they may be right!) are the long term consequences of annoying the fanbase. Trust is hard to win but easy to lose.

Right now, though, it is to the advantage of neither company to break the deal. For MS, it's a good long term investment, and for CD/SE a good short term investment.

I suspect the protests of the fans were expected. CD/Se are most likely either hoping they have allowed for those protests, or they need the money in the short term too much to care.

That's my take on where the two companies are likely to stand on the deal. It may be right, it may not :)

Tecstar70
17th Aug 2014, 08:06
This^^^ Nice post.

_Ninja_
17th Aug 2014, 09:57
There is only one way this deal could be broken. If both sides are convinced it is doing more harm than good and back out together. It is a pipe dream.

Best hope is it is a timed exclusive and the time period is reasonable.

Tecstar70
17th Aug 2014, 10:00
There is only one way this deal could be broken. If both sides are convinced it is doing more harm than good and back out together. It is a pipe dream.

With you on this.

Metalrocks
17th Aug 2014, 12:22

i hope so too. i hope they will announce how long this "times" is. this at the moment is worrying me. we know why M$ is doing this and i really hope that they dont call the shots and decide for CD when they should be working for other platforms.

Tecstar70
17th Aug 2014, 16:13
i hope so too. i hope they will announce how long this "times" is. this at the moment is worrying me. we know why M$ is doing this and i really hope that they dont call the shots and decide for CD when they should be working for other platforms.

I wouldn't expect them to announce the exclusivity period at all to be honest. If they do it's a bonus. I don't think MS would call the shots other than what's been contracted and I really doubt the they have any say on the development of other platforms. It doesn't make sense for CD to put the dev of other platforms on hold. I expect they will have all platforms final versions ready at about the same time. What if there is a clause that MS can pull out? If they did and CD hadn't developed the other platforms that would leave CD stuffed if they wanted to launch all platforms simultaneously. Also post launch is when you have to devote resources to patching etc once the public start finding bugs. They would want to be dealing with XB1 patches and at the same time testing the PC/PS4 versions for the same bugs and patching them too so then when they do release they are more stable versions.

There is a possibility that PC/PS4 will launch later than Feb/March 2016 but you have to ask once the holiday period is over when MS are looking to boost the hardware sales, is it worth holding on to TR for much longer? One of the forum members who works in game retail has already stated that 90 days is the sweet spot for selling consoles with special bonuses. Once MS have got Christmas 2015 over with I predict that there isn't much console sale left to warrant them paying for much more time into 2016. Also SE may be reluctant if they think it will harm their PC/PS4 sales.

I will really be surprised if there is much more to this than a 90 day delay to release for PC/PS4. I will be sad to be proved wrong, but I can't see any reason to see otherwise.

DrCroft
17th Aug 2014, 21:31
I wouldn't expect them to announce the exclusivity period at all to be honest. If they do it's a bonus. I don't think MS would call the shots other than what's been contracted and I really doubt the they have any say on the development of other platforms. It doesn't make sense for CD to put the dev of other platforms on hold. I expect they will have all platforms final versions ready at about the same time. What if there is a clause that MS can pull out? If they did and CD hadn't developed the other platforms that would leave CD stuffed if they wanted to launch all platforms simultaneously. Also post launch is when you have to devote resources to patching etc once the public start finding bugs. They would want to be dealing with XB1 patches and at the same time testing the PC/PS4 versions for the same bugs and patching them too so then when they do release they are more stable versions.

There is a possibility that PC/PS4 will launch later than Feb/March 2016 but you have to ask once the holiday period is over when MS are looking to boost the hardware sales, is it worth holding on to TR for much longer? One of the forum members who works in game retail has already stated that 90 days is the sweet spot for selling consoles with special bonuses. Once MS have got Christmas 2015 over with I predict that there isn't much console sale left to warrant them paying for much more time into 2016. Also SE may be reluctant if they think it will harm their PC/PS4 sales.

I will really be surprised if there is much more to this than a 90 day delay to release for PC/PS4. I will be sad to be proved wrong, but I can't see any reason to see otherwise.

You talk a lot of sense :thumb: I hope you are right!