PDA

View Full Version : This game does NOT need multiplayer!!!

levyjl1988
16th Aug 2014, 03:03
Multiplayer in Tomb Raider was garbage and everyone knows it. I rather have more content added in the main playthrough rather than multiplayer.

Anyone else agree?

Weemanply109
16th Aug 2014, 03:07
It probably won't have MP anyway. A few critics down rated the game simply because of the inclusion of MP (IIRC) and the reception was horrible from most people. Crystal will save multiplayer experiences to the "Lara Croft" spin-off series.

FarronFox
16th Aug 2014, 03:13
Yeah, hoping it doesn't have one either.

Just put in extra challenges and replayability, etc.

Tihocan
16th Aug 2014, 03:21
A few critics down rated the game simply because of the inclusion of bad MP (IIRC) and the reception was horrible from most people.

Multiplayer is fine by me, I'm not a "purist" or whatever. But I want good, original multiplayer.

(Like my Hunger Games arena style multiplayer idea... *cough*)

CakeLuv
16th Aug 2014, 03:51
Multiplayer is fine by me, I'm not a "purist" or whatever. But I want good, original multiplayer.

But a hunger games kind of thing would take a lot of time, and they'd have to include a lot of survival stuff, like hunger and stuff

(I have no clue of what your idea was thought lol)

Metalrocks
16th Aug 2014, 04:49
MP was never needed in TR anyway. was the worst MP i have ever played. only touched it once and never ever again.
but since M$ took over, they probably will not back out on this idea. after all, they want to make sure that people buy the box and can play with each other.

Tecstar70
16th Aug 2014, 07:56
You are correct, it doesn't need MP. I did however quite enjoy playing it. Yes it had its flaws but I played it quite a lot. It was good fun.

JaxGames
16th Aug 2014, 08:12
You are correct, it doesn't need MP. I did however quite enjoy playing it. Yes it had its flaws but I played it quite a lot. It was good fun.

Yeah I agree I enjoyed playing its MP too

LaraCroft04
19th Aug 2014, 17:24
I actually enjoyed the multiplayer and played it quite a lot after I had completed the game, but given the choice I would prefer more single player content than multiplayer because there are many other similar multiplayer games out there that manage to do it better. The main issue for me though was the lack of players, at certain times I'd really struggle to find a match, especially with the DLC maps installed, for the amount of times I managed to play them they really weren't worth buying :/

icepopshot
19th Aug 2014, 17:40
Multiplayer in Tomb Raider was garbage and everyone knows it. I rather have more content added in the main playthrough rather than multiplayer.

Anyone else agree?

I actually enjoyed Multiplayer after I completed Single player 2 times. MP also seems to shorten the wait for "Rise of the Tomb Raider". But since this game probably won't be available for PS4, I don't couldn't care less :(

Flintmelody
19th Aug 2014, 17:57
I played a bit of the multiplayer and when you could find matches, get in a game that didn't have all the pros on the same team and it didn't glitch well it was actually quite fun. Sadly that was really rare and so that same ammount of effort put into additional SP content would be more worthwhile.

DrCroft
19th Aug 2014, 19:36
Just thinking, you'll need Xbox gold membership for multiplayer won't you? (If I'm wrong I'm sorry!!!). It'll be interesting to see the amount of people online when it releases if so.

Weemanply109
19th Aug 2014, 19:42

Maybe, but I don't want MP at all. I'm assuming they're already were struggling with budget with Rise, I don't want them to take any more money and time out for MP gameplay when the guys they ship it to can't even get the netcode right. I bet the netcode will be just as ****ty in Temple of Osiris.

TR = Singleplayer experience. ONLY.

dandins
19th Aug 2014, 19:57
the multiplayer was one of the best things of this game. the multiplayer still motivates me to play TR. Every game should have a multiplayer and i still remember the interview with a TR dev when TR2013 released - he said the multiplayer revolution was like the 2D->3D revolution .. so true.

DrCroft
19th Aug 2014, 20:02
the multiplayer was one of the best things of this game. the multiplayer still motivates me to play TR. Every game should have a multiplayer and i still remember the interview with a TR dev when TR2013 released - he said the multiplayer revolution was like the 2D->3D revolution .. so true.

That's interesting that you say that. For me I cannot stand MP, especially online. So I would hate the gaming community to try a push MP into everything because they believe they should, with the SP becoming malnourished. Sometimes a story needs to be an individual thing not a free-for-all :)

Valenka
19th Aug 2014, 20:16
Multiplayer in Tomb Raider was garbage and everyone knows it.

Actually, I liked the multiplayer in Tomb Raider. I don't think it's necessary at all - I'd actually prefer if it was excluded in ROTTR - but I found it fun at times when played with the right people, of course.

Weemanply109
19th Aug 2014, 20:33

What...

_Ninja_
19th Aug 2014, 20:39
It's not necessary. But it's going to be there so just hope it's good.

dark7angel
19th Aug 2014, 20:43
I just hope that if it has to be there, then at least make a split-screen/off-line mode...

IvanaKC
19th Aug 2014, 20:53
It's not necessary. But it's going to be there so just hope it's good.

Has it been confirmed? :scratch:

-----------------------------------------------

I've never played TR multiplayer so I cannot have an opinion. The sole fact that people dislike it so much, or even those who like it say that it isn't something special, tells me enough, I guess. adfsja_dunno.gif

MaxRaider
20th Aug 2014, 16:50
I just hope that if it has to be there, then at least make a split-screen/off-line mode...

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the multiplayer in TR, but split-screen would be awesome. :)

Murphdawg1
20th Aug 2014, 16:54
I like multiplayer but Tomb Raider shouldn't have it. The multiplayer in the reboot was just awful. Not every game should have competitive multiplayer.

_Ninja_
20th Aug 2014, 17:23
Has it been confirmed? :scratch:

Maybe not directly like, "Yes RoTR will have mp." But in past Q&As they have talked about wanting to continue with mp.

Error96_
21st Aug 2014, 01:38
I thought the multiplayer was okay but not really the big highlight of the game. It had many issue though and rather than working them out would be nice to see the money spent an explorable Croft Manor or better post completion SP modes like time trials or missions.

Metalrocks
21st Aug 2014, 09:01

thats what many people think these days that its a must have for games to have MP.
i object to this.

sure its a matter of opinion but not every game needs MP. there are already enough people (like me) who dont want every game to have it. but unfortunately a lot of people dont even look or buy a game because it does not contain any MP what so ever. deus ex HR, HL series and more.

Gitb97
21st Aug 2014, 14:25
I didn't like MP to be completely honest. I'd rather replay the game over and over than play on that..well garbage really.

RaiderSean
21st Aug 2014, 17:42
Singlplayer was amazing and should be the best part of a game always but multiplayer was decent. It really added to the repeatability of the game. Single players weapon customization helped too. Multiplayer loadouts made the game whole lot more enjoyable as did the various game modes like rescue and deathmatch.

Single player should keep the mass enemy fighting and add WAY more diverse tombs with more puzzles and advancement. They should also keep relics, journals, and treasures.

The first game rocked keep it that way and fix the flaws. I buy the comics, the old games (all of them), and collectIbles like the Lara craft survivor statue because the reboot was so good.

I hope that the Rise Of The Tomb Raider is amazing too.

yamatai_veteran
18th Sep 2014, 13:20
The multiplayer isn't that bad but the quality of it falls below that of the rest of the game and that makes it stand out. I think the games would be as good without it.

BridgetFisher
19th Sep 2014, 09:39
They wasted so much money on the MP for Tomb Raider in the last game that it completely robbed the main dev team of the game of the ability to develop more of the game to make it a complete experience which was sad. Hopefully that doesnt happen this time and no MP is included so the game can be more successful.

Tecstar70
19th Sep 2014, 09:42
They wasted so much money on the MP for Tomb Raider in the last game that it completely robbed the main dev team of the game of the ability to develop more of the game to make it a complete experience which was sad. Hopefully that doesnt happen this time and no MP is included so the game can be more successful.

I don't think so. SP and MP were developed independently of each other by two different teams.

Tihocan
22nd Sep 2014, 03:28
I get the feeling that the teams got into the mindset of "we made this, it's fun!". And then got the positive response of some players who were already hyped, like Zack Levi and such. But then, they were touting it as exciting and different - but it was basically a carbon copy of other MP games like Gears of War (environmental effects, capture and hold etc).

It's not enough to love the franchise for the component to succeed. The first step, I think, should be asking "what can we do, that hasn't been done before, and make it fun?"

Lord Martok
22nd Sep 2014, 09:05
It's not enough to love the franchise for the component to succeed. The first step, I think, should be asking "what can we do, that hasn't been done before, and make it fun?"

<--------- raises hand frantically!

Lord Matok: Oh! Oh! I know! Iiiiiiii knooooooooowwwwwwwwww!
(please pick me.....please pick me.....I got this answer.....)

Darksaiyan: (looking with knowing regret)... Yessssss....Lord Martok....what would you do to make it fun?

Lord Martok: (sits up in his seat proudly). Add on a multiplayer mode!

You can hear crickets chirp, and pins drop as Martok sits with a self-satisfied and completely oblivious grin. I say oblivious because everyone else in the room is looking at Martok as if he were the next desginated target on a "I wanna kill you" list.

:D

SineadLadyCroft
22nd Sep 2014, 12:34
I don't think Rise of the Tomb Raider needs multiplayer. I couldn't stand the multiplayer on TR2013. It felt very unpolished. I did have fun playing with friends, but that was really it.

Scion's_Eye
22nd Sep 2014, 20:16
Leave it for the spin-offs. Just like the original Mario games would suck with MP, but Mario Kart is great fun.

No MP for main series in my opinion.

Tihocan
23rd Sep 2014, 02:34
But a hunger games kind of thing would take a lot of time, and they'd have to include a lot of survival stuff, like hunger and stuff

(I have no clue of what your idea was thought lol)
It's in the TR and MP marriage thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1832080&postcount=6
Starts at post 6 and sorta keeps going.

<--------- raises hand frantically!
*slaps hand down* :P

I did mean in the realm of multiplayer, but I get your point. I feel that there was a sense of "let's do what works for everyone else, with a few changes".

Driber
23rd Sep 2014, 08:54
Leave it for the spin-offs. Just like the original Mario games would suck with MP, but Mario Kart is great fun.

No MP for main series in my opinion.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121110130135/nintendo/en/images/thumb/2/28/New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii_%28NA%29.png/250px-New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii_%28NA%29.png

29 million copies sold. 'Nuff said.

Lord Martok
23rd Sep 2014, 09:20
It's in the TR and MP marriage thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1832080&postcount=6
Starts at post 6 and sorta keeps going.

*slaps hand down* :P

I did mean in the realm of multiplayer, but I get your point. I feel that there was a sense of "let's do what works for everyone else, with a few changes".

Ow.

:D

Scion's_Eye
23rd Sep 2014, 23:43
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121110130135/nintendo/en/images/thumb/2/28/New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii_%28NA%29.png/250px-New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii_%28NA%29.png

29 million copies sold. 'Nuff said.

You get what I mean.

WinterSoldierLTE
2nd Oct 2014, 22:05
I finally checked out the mp in TR this morning. And I gotta say this: Sorry to everyone who was stuck with me on their team.

I only got a brief glimpse of it, as I kept getting shot in the head a bunch of times. But I get the impression that everyone that wasn't frustrated at me was having a good time. It wasn't packed, but it wasn't empty. To me, it seemed no different then any other online MP game I've played. And MP has just never been my thing.

If they bring it back, I'd like a separate trophy bracket for it.

TSUSMC9
7th Nov 2014, 17:24
I'd love for ROtTR to have a similiar MP of Call of Duty. Playable side missions. Of course in this sense it would be tombs puzzles.
I can't say I cared much for the MP in the Reboot but it wasn't horrendous either. I don't think it took away from anything.

sarsdisease
25th Nov 2014, 22:03
If it doesn't have multiplayer I wont buy it. they have a good starting point and people still play it. I mean it doesnt effect your single player at all. If you dont want to play multiplayer then don't play it.

Metalrocks
26th Nov 2014, 04:53
If it doesn't have multiplayer I wont buy it. they have a good starting point and people still play it. I mean it doesnt effect your single player at all. If you dont want to play multiplayer then don't play it.

welcome to the forum. :wave:

not to sound like a smartass but if the MP is your main content, why bother getting TR at all when the MP has no connection to the story line or co-op?

the thing is why many of us are skeptical or dislike the MP (like for this title) is because then more work goes in to the MP instead the SP that in the end has a poor story or is really short (like 3-4 hours long) or is just forgettable. pretty much like the COD games and BF. the SP is just mediocre since the main focus is clearly the MP.

now with this TR we had 2 companies working on it (in case you didnt know that). one for MP, the other for the SP. which is good. otherwise who knows how well the story would have turned out of CD would have worked on both sections.

of course this is an opinion but not every game must have MP integrated. deus ex HR sold millions and has no MP what so ever and has still plenty of replay value. im not saying that playing against or with other people is no fun and doesnt add any replay value but it also depends how its done.

sarsdisease
26th Nov 2014, 17:08
welcome to the forum. :wave:

not to sound like a smartass but if the MP is your main content, why bother getting TR at all when the MP has no connection to the story line or co-op?

the thing is why many of us are skeptical or dislike the MP (like for this title) is because then more work goes in to the MP instead the SP that in the end has a poor story or is really short (like 3-4 hours long) or is just forgettable. pretty much like the COD games and BF. the SP is just mediocre since the main focus is clearly the MP.

now with this TR we had 2 companies working on it (in case you didnt know that). one for MP, the other for the SP. which is good. otherwise who knows how well the story would have turned out of CD would have worked on both sections.

of course this is an opinion but not every game must have MP integrated. deus ex HR sold millions and has no MP what so ever and has still plenty of replay value. im not saying that playing against or with other people is no fun and doesnt add any replay value but it also depends how its done.

Why not buy it for mp. Me and many others enjoy it. I've never touched single player in this game but I hear people enjoy it. I could say why release single player when they could use that time working on multiplayer. The single player is gonna be what it is no matter what. Why take mp away from people who enjoy it. I don't ask to take single player away. (And dues ex was a great game)

sarsdisease
26th Nov 2014, 17:11
It's not like they gimped the single player in the last one

Driber
26th Nov 2014, 17:41
I could say why release single player when they could use that time working on multiplayer.

You could, but you would sound ludicrous.

Why take mp away from people who enjoy it.

Well, if TR10 won't have MP, there is nothing "taken away", really.

I don't ask to take single player away.

Good, because that would literally break the game. Okay, not literally...

sarsdisease
26th Nov 2014, 18:24
You could, but you would sound ludicrous.

Well, if TR10 won't have MP, there is nothing "taken away", really.

Good, because that would literally break the game. Okay, not literally...

I agree it would be ludicrous to ask for single player to be taken away, but whats the reason for having no multiplayer. People are still playing it and enjoying it. There not going to make a 5 hour single player game because they make the multiplayer. everyone knows that's they will make the same single player whether they have multiplayer or not. I just don't get why people care so much about having multiplayer. you don't have to play it. no one is forcing you to play it. I do agree they shouldn't have multiplayer trophies though. How is there nothing taken away if TR10 doesn,t have MP, that would mean there taking the multiplayer away. It is a section of the game some people enjoy. Just cause you don't like it or enjoy it doesn't mean other people don't. If they didnt have multiplayer in TR 9 you would of got the same single player.

I just don't get why people care. If you get the single player you enjoy, and we get the multiplayer we enjoy everyone will be happy.

d1n0_xD
26th Nov 2014, 18:33
The way of having replay value is not multiplayer, it's unlocking stuff... on my 2nd run, I damn sure found all those mushrooms, hanging dream catchers, caches and for what? some concept art... like, concept art's ok, but stuff like outfits, cheats, outfits, gun modifications, outfits, and other ways of customizing your game are welcome and should be put as a reward for doing all the little things... that's how you increase replay value... did I mention that the game needs outfits, like, a ton of them? :D

Blacktron
26th Nov 2014, 18:55
For the most part sarsdisease (charming nickname by the way) is totaly right: if you wanna play the multiplayer you play it, and if you don't then you don't. And to be screeching that a game 'doesn't need' whatever you don't like about it is beyond absurd. That being said: the 'meat' of Tomb Raider is always going to be the single player and I would be surprised if there's even ten people on the planet who buy this for the multiplayer primarily. I had fun with the TR9 multiplayer but only for a short while: to me it would be better for the next title to either not have multiplayer or have one that is better than the average one of TR9.

did I mention that the game needs outfits, like, a ton of them? :D
And beautiful ones please. Who's idea was it to dress Lara up in a grey jumpsuit?

sarsdisease
26th Nov 2014, 19:27
For the most part sarsdisease (charming nickname by the way) is totaly right: if you wanna play the multiplayer you play it, and if you don't then you don't. And to be screeching that a game 'doesn't need' whatever you don't like about it is beyond absurd. That being said: the 'meat' of Tomb Raider is always going to be the single player and I would be surprised if there's even ten people on the planet who buy this for the multiplayer primarily. I had fun with the TR9 multiplayer but only for a short while: to me it would be better for the next title to either not have multiplayer or have one that is better than the average one of TR9.

And beautiful ones please. Who's idea was it to dress Lara up in a grey jumpsuit?

I agree that I'm one of the few who bought it for multiplayer. The thing is there are people who enjoy it. They have a good foundation, all they have to do is improve on what they got. I could see if the multiplayer was dead. I still find games within a couple minutes. I'm not saying they should put all there focus on multiplayer, but there's no reason to leave it out.

Driber
26th Nov 2014, 21:11
I agree it would be ludicrous to ask for single player to be taken away, but whats the reason for having no multiplayer.

Well, I am not the one arguing against muliplayer. You'll have to ask those who do.

People are still playing it and enjoying it.

Sure.

There not going to make a 5 hour single player game because they make the multiplayer.

Probably not, no.

everyone knows that's they will make the same single player whether they have multiplayer or not.

I wouldn't say "everyone knows". It's speculation.

I just don't get why people care so much about having multiplayer. you don't have to play it. no one is forcing you to play it.

Indeed.

I do agree they shouldn't have multiplayer trophies though.

Well, trophies are okay, but they just shouldn't count for completion.

How is there nothing taken away if TR10 doesn,t have MP, that would mean there taking the multiplayer away.

How is it taking away if it was non-existent in the first place...

Just cause you don't like it or enjoy it doesn't mean other people don't.

Never said I didn't like/enjoy it.

If they didnt have multiplayer in TR 9 you would of got the same single player.

I know. I argued the exact same thing.

I just don't get why people care. If you get the single player you enjoy, and we get the multiplayer we enjoy everyone will be happy.

Well, you already named one reason yourself why some people care - trophies.

Metalrocks
27th Nov 2014, 01:57
did I mention that the game needs outfits, like, a ton of them? :D

oh yes. now that would be great to have again. that what made the previous titles interesting to play over and over again. just to find all the treasures and unlock the clothing. not only available through DLC.

Frau84
27th Nov 2014, 09:54

Quite a while back I posted in another thread that I didn't wan't to see co-op in the main campaign, which I still don't, but I would be open to seeing an unlock-able co-op split-screen side story featuring other characters from the story taking place at the same time that could be played after the main campaign has been completed. For example, in TR 2013 it could have been playing as Reyes, Jonah or Alex while they tracked Sam to the Shanty Town, further fleshing out both the story and these side characters.

I thought the multiplayer was okay but not really the big highlight of the game. It had many issue though and rather than working them out would be nice to see the money spent an explorable Croft Manor or better post completion SP modes like time trials or missions.

This could be done in a similar way to Alien: Isolations Survivor Mode, where you enter an area with a set time to complete a main objective, and timed bonus objectives that expire after a couple of minutes to complete as well. This could work as on-line co-op mode rather than standard competitive mode.

The way of having replay value is not multiplayer, it's unlocking stuff... on my 2nd run, I damn sure found all those mushrooms, hanging dream catchers, caches and for what? some concept art... like, concept art's ok, but stuff like outfits, cheats, outfits, gun modifications, outfits, and other ways of customizing your game are welcome and should be put as a reward for doing all the little things... that's how you increase replay value... did I mention that the game needs outfits, like, a ton of them? :D

While I do like seeing concept art for games, for a game like Tomb Raider which has always had a large amount of collectables in some form there does need to be more incentive for casual players to find all of them, be it outfits, weapons, cheats, or even extra side tombs. Eg, find all the insignia pieces to open a door classic TR style.

It probably won't have MP anyway. A few critics down rated the game simply because of the inclusion of MP (IIRC) and the reception was horrible from most people. Crystal will save multiplayer experiences to the "Lara Croft" spin-off series.

While I myself am not a fan of multiplayer modes, if Crystal do insist on adding multiplayer then they should look at what they are doing right in the Lara Croft titles and incorporate that into the main Tomb Raider titles. More of what's good, less of what is panned, and more people will probably give it a go.
As for the jumpsuit, it did seem like an odd choice, but I always thought it closely resembled Sigourney Weaver's one in Aliens.

oh yes. now that would be great to have again. that what made the previous titles interesting to play over and over again. just to find all the treasures and unlock the clothing. not only available through DLC.

Yes, this should be put back into the game, especially now Lara is off the island and globe trotting again, make sense that she'd have access to more than one outfit, and Crystal could always do a fan favourite choice again like they did in Underworld

Blacktron
27th Nov 2014, 10:43
Yes, this should be put back into the game, especially now Lara is off the island and globe trotting again, make sense that she'd have access to more than one outfit, and Crystal could always do a fan favourite choice again like they did in Underworld
That's a good idea. Long trousers or short trousers: just let the player choose for themselves. On that note I think it would be a fine idea to bring in more customize options. Such as what hairstyle: ponytail, braid or down.

Metalrocks
27th Nov 2014, 13:12
That's a good idea. Long trousers or short trousers: just let the player choose for themselves. On that note I think it would be a fine idea to bring in more customize options. Such as what hairstyle: ponytail, braid or down.

count me in. that would be great if we can choose what pants/shorts she should wear and even select her top as well. hell, even chose it for the MP if they still want to keep it.

a_big_house
27th Nov 2014, 14:12
...Such as what hairstyle: ponytail, braid or down.

Afro? Yes, Lara DEFINITELY needs an afro. Is this on the wishlist, Metal? It should be!

Metalrocks
27th Nov 2014, 15:20
Afro? Yes, Lara DEFINITELY needs an afro. Is this on the wishlist, Metal? It should be!

lol. no afro. but you can wish for it.

but these are currently on the list.

clothing

18. More outfits. (99)
26. Lara in shorts. (32)
27. Keep the long pants. (82)
30. Able to choose and costume Lara's load out. (40)
43. Having Lara's famous backpack. (55)
73. Lara in a dress (29)
74. Return of the TR1/Anniversary Classic outfit (28)
102. Customizable haircut, clothes and equipment. (34)
248. Ability to change outfit integrated into gameplay (11)
265. Make Lara's outfits (including DLCs) wear and tear in proportion to its use in game. (14)

a_big_house
27th Nov 2014, 15:44
Ahh, that's alright, hairstyles are in there :D

Blacktron
27th Nov 2014, 16:27
Afro? Yes, Lara DEFINITELY needs an afro.
No thanks. But I think the butterfly clip haircut from Saints Row would look great on Lara:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLDIjG82iN4MDcxZtRe-mAo_y7bx7GwyeW8niOEJOK9KVF0oQA

AdobeArtist
27th Nov 2014, 17:41
No thanks. But I think the butterfly clip haircut from Saints Row would look great on Lara:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLDIjG82iN4MDcxZtRe-mAo_y7bx7GwyeW8niOEJOK9KVF0oQA

Isn't that Sam's hair style? I think it would be awkward for the two of them to start appearing so alike :whistle: :p

Blacktron
27th Nov 2014, 17:55
Yeah, true that. If Sam's gonna be in Tr10 that is.

AdobeArtist
27th Nov 2014, 18:45
Yeah, true that. If Sam's gonna be in Tr10 that is.

She better be!!! *shakes fist at Rhianna* :poke:

Metalrocks
28th Nov 2014, 01:30
She better be!!! *shakes fist at Rhianna* :poke:

she sure should be in there. sam is anyway crazy wit her camera, so maybe they can add a scene like this :naughty:
nYyvm6Hn3wI

thats from a hong kong movie called "so close" made in 2002. that would work for me.

Blacktron
28th Nov 2014, 06:35
You and your damn lesbian obsession! Joking aside: it seems to be that after Yamatai Lara's choosing to continue to lead a dangerous life. I can't see 'Samsel in distress' do the same. She'll probably be in TR10 but I'll be curious to see in what way: I wouldn't be surprised if they were to say goodbye forever because Lara's going somewhere were Sam can't follow her.

Metalrocks
28th Nov 2014, 14:22
actually in this movie they play as sisters. :p

ok, im striding to much off topic. but since we talk about sam, even if she not in story line, she still could be available as character in MP.

Scion_Light
6th Dec 2014, 01:47
The multiplayer looked like a beta test. It wasn't awful but didn't fit with the quality of the SP. An SP Croft manor would be far better.

NightRain'06
17th Dec 2014, 23:50
So True !!! I've played very short sessions of MP in TR 2013 just to see how it felt and lost so fast, and I never returned to playing it.

I believe they probably were inspired by Uncharted 2 and maybe even other single-player only games that had MP.

Personally, in general, I dislike MP modes in single-player-only games ~ regardless of game companies' resources of having separate teams developing them.

Do not misunderstand ~ Certain genres are fine such as open world, FPS, etc.

But, remember, TR was always a single-player only experience and to have MP included just seems a bit odd.

dandins
29th Dec 2014, 22:11
as an experienced third person shooter multiplayer I have to say that the multiplayer of TR 2013 is excellent and still fasciantes people. But the problem many people here claimed is actually not the multiplayer itself - its the lack of a good matchmaking system that creates BALANCED teams!!!. this needsto be improved.

Beside that I love the campaign too - the multiplayer rounds it up.

edit: the "fixed party system" should be removed - the consequence is that a group of good player play against randoms with no serious chance.. thats what happens to newcomers. newcomer should only come into games with the same kind of experienced players.

12kizuna
4th Jan 2015, 01:56
New poster here! :wave:
I just wanted to say that the existence of trophies are EXACTLY why I care about multiplayer existing in the game.
NO game, unless they are a solely multiplayer-focused game, should ever have multiplayer trophies (unless they are ridiculously EASY to obtain, but even then...)

1.) Humans are unpredictable. Humans cheat, humans are smarter than AI, humans can have a LOT more skill level than each other and create a very unbalanced environment. All of this makes things extremely difficult for people who are not really into multiplayer to ever hope of obtaining the trophies. I've never been good at multiplayer, and cry inside when I know I'll never be able to platinum the game.

2.) The servers will go down someday. People will stop playing multiplayer, and the servers will go down. If you are late to the party in playing a particular game (I often go back and play old games, and know I'm not alone in this), you have no hope of ever getting platinum. If I don't get all of the trophies by the time the servers go down, I'm stuck forever and ever and ever looking at a partially completed percentage in my games list. That's beyond annoying. Why have time-sensitive trophies? (and yes, they ARE time sensitive. It may be in terms of years, but there's still a time limit)

Trophies shouldn't be added as incentive to get people to play multiplayer. If a multiplayer mode is fun enough in itself, people will play it regardless. Meanwhile, the rest of us who will never be able to overcome the learning curve and excellent MP players will not be left feeling frustrated with their 83% completion.
I'm great at games, really. Figuring out what a programmed game or AI wants out of you and going up against intelligent, unpredictable players is a different thing entirely, and I am NOT good at that. I've spent way too much of my life trying, trust me.

sarsdisease
4th Jan 2015, 03:04
New poster here! :wave:
I just wanted to say that the existence of trophies are EXACTLY why I care about multiplayer existing in the game.
NO game, unless they are a solely multiplayer-focused game, should ever have multiplayer trophies (unless they are ridiculously EASY to obtain, but even then...)

1.) Humans are unpredictable. Humans cheat, humans are smarter than AI, humans can have a LOT more skill level than each other and create a very unbalanced environment. All of this makes things extremely difficult for people who are not really into multiplayer to ever hope of obtaining the trophies. I've never been good at multiplayer, and cry inside when I know I'll never be able to platinum the game.

2.) The servers will go down someday. People will stop playing multiplayer, and the servers will go down. If you are late to the party in playing a particular game (I often go back and play old games, and know I'm not alone in this), you have no hope of ever getting platinum. If I don't get all of the trophies by the time the servers go down, I'm stuck forever and ever and ever looking at a partially completed percentage in my games list. That's beyond annoying. Why have time-sensitive trophies? (and yes, they ARE time sensitive. It may be in terms of years, but there's still a time limit)

Trophies shouldn't be added as incentive to get people to play multiplayer. If a multiplayer mode is fun enough in itself, people will play it regardless. Meanwhile, the rest of us who will never be able to overcome the learning curve and excellent MP players will not be left feeling frustrated with their 83% completion.
I'm great at games, really. Figuring out what a programmed game or AI wants out of you and going up against intelligent, unpredictable players is a different thing entirely, and I am NOT good at that. I've spent way too much of my life trying, trust me.

I agree they shouldn't have multiplayer trophies. They definently should keep multiplayer though.

Steel_Wing
28th Jan 2015, 11:14
The multiplayer didn't add enough for me to the experience. If it makes more people buy the game then sure put it in but I am not desperate to see it return.

Tihocan
28th Jan 2015, 13:01
No single player game needs multiplayer, otherwise it wasn't good enough in its own right.

Multiplayer adds a different avenue of entertainment and, ultimately, profit for the creator.

she sure should be in there. sam is anyway crazy wit her camera, so maybe they can add a scene like this :naughty:

Now I need a cold shower...

Frankie_Drums
4th Feb 2015, 13:01
I disliked the multiplayer and felt it was unnecessary. If the devs leave it in, all I ask is that they don't have any multiplayer achievements. The 10-hour multiplayer grind last time just to get 100% completion was AWFUL and almost soured me on an otherwise perfect game.

KenTWOu
5th Feb 2015, 13:26
If the devs leave it in, all I ask is that they don't have any multiplayer achievements.
Agreed. I guess, devs add multiplayer achievements to force you to play MP portion of the game. The problem is most of them are so tedious (especially if they DLC related) so devs achieve the opposite effect. So I ignored TR MP achievements.

Back to the topic. I didn't like Tomb Raider multiplayer either. When I think about its survive together premise and survival modes, I think about asymmetrical multiplayer with a stronger focus on steallh and survival. Instead it gave me a typical shoot together stuff. That's why Tomb Raider multiplayer didn't deliver. So the new game does not need multiplayer either.

Tecstar70
5th Feb 2015, 15:52
I have no problem with MP, but I agree some of the acheivements were VERY tedious to get.

EliParker28
6th Feb 2015, 02:01
This game needs a raid mode. The Raid mode seen in Resident Evil Revelations would work well with Tomb Raider and Rise of The Tomb Raider. We need CD to take note and add the mode.

Charlie_T_Raider
14th Feb 2015, 14:29
The multiplayer wasn't that much fun and everyone just cheated by mining the start spaces. CD could go to tons of effort improving it but not really worth it. Put the money into bigger puzzles for SP.

julietxjules
14th Feb 2015, 16:30

Anyone else agree?

I whole heartedly agree with you. As Tomb Raider began essentially as a single player game, it was for that reason alone that made it so popular. I know and understand that everything changes eventually, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the change will be a good thing. :)

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 16:43
I whole heartedly agree with you. As Tomb Raider began essentially as a single player game, it was for that reason alone that made it so popular. I know and understand that everything changes eventually, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the change will be a good thing. :)

Agreed, if they didnt mismanage their money last time spending it all on multiplayer instead of making the main game it might have sold better. Might be why the only way the new TR got funded was because M$ picked up the tab, which they may regret if it ends up the same way. Really bugs me how there is no tomb raiding in any of these new TR games, their not even TR games, their just generic action/shooter games. Bugs me the MOST that the character Lara Croft actually says "I hate tombs" in TR2013... well thats just great because its the name of the game! With this logic it would be like making GTA without any cars and the character running around saying they hate driving.... XDDD

Tecstar70
16th Feb 2015, 17:13
Agreed, if they didnt mismanage their money last time spending it all on multiplayer instead of making the main game it might have sold better.
What evidence do you have that the development of the MP meant that the SP was missing elements? In fact CD's reason for there not being SP DLC (other than the one Tomb which was really a pre-order bonus) was that the game was complete as it was intended.

Might be why the only way the new TR got funded was because M$ picked up the tab,
I haven't seen anyone stating anywhere that the only reason RotTR got funded was because of the MS deal. It's one theory but not confirmed officially.

Really bugs me how there is no tomb raiding in any of these new TR games, their not even TR games, their just generic action/shooter games.
Which games are you referring to in particular?

Bugs me the MOST that the character Lara Croft actually says "I hate tombs" in TR2013... well thats just great because its the name of the game! With this logic it would be like making GTA without any cars and the character running around saying they hate driving.... XDDD
You didn't get the joke then? :D

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 17:38
I didnt get the joke T_T I just ended up mad... maybe its that comedy timing thing and it was a joke but just didnt land? Shes an adventurer not a stand up comic... though that could be a fun mission... Join The Tomb Raider for a one night stand of Croftmania at comedyfest!

It ends with her shooting people and stealing their jewels maybe would be fun because it turns out the mafia don of the ancient order of the all seeing eye was present and she wanted his broach to open the vault to the secret lair of the unknown.

AlexWeiss
16th Feb 2015, 18:40
When she said she hates tombs, it was full of irony. She said that, but notice that immediately after she ran up to the coffin and became a total archaeological nerd, studying all of the paintings and just showing sheer fascination with everything going on at once.

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 19:04
When she said she hates tombs, it was full of irony. She said that, but notice that immediately after she ran up to the coffin and became a total archaeological nerd, studying all of the paintings and just showing sheer fascination with everything going on at once.

must have missed that, kinda tune out the cinematics their so shaky their painful for me to watch, explains why I missed the joke...

Phasetastic
24th Feb 2015, 14:33
I never got the joke behind that remark. It seemed out of place.

The multiplayer was far too bugged when I tried to play so I don't believe it adds much to the games as a whole.

teebunni77
6th Mar 2015, 14:43
Call me anti-social or lacking in team spirit but I've never liked multiplayer games. Principally my aversion stems from the fact that I'm pretty awful at shoot 'em ups (which ironically is why I always loved TR so much) so I'd be more of a hindrance than a help in a team situation and also I'd be a bit miffed if another player let me down. I understand that alot of people love the whole multiplayer experience, that's fine we all have different tastes, but there are plenty of games out there to keep those who want to indulge in a bit of team based carnage satisfied, Tomb Raider was never one of those types of game. TR was and should've remained a one player, puzzle based adventure. I was not happy with the simplicity of the puzzles, which were only contained in the optional tombs, nor with the relentless combat so felt that it was highly disappointing to discover that the only one player download I could buy was an extra tomb. I'm just hoping I, and like minded raiders, will not be as disappointed in the future.

zackdollars
6th Mar 2015, 16:45
I used to be addicted to vs multiplayer, but now the only MP I play is Mass Effect 3 which is co-op (horde mode). I just don't care about winning in vs games anymore. I've already done that for many years. I personally want AAA single-player story-driven games more than anything. WRPGs, Shooters, and Action/Advenuture are my favorites.

The reason I think ME3 MP succeeds for someone who prefers single-player is that the MP flows right out of the SP. The gameplay is virtually identical, and the characters are from the SP.

Having said that, Dragon's Dogma pawns and the photo uploads are a great way to add social interactivity to a strict single-player game.