PDA

View Full Version : Why ROTTR should not be exclusive

Murphdawg1
15th Aug 2014, 13:56
Square Enix/Crystal Dyanmics you have seriously disappointed and pissed off alot of people with your decision to limit Rise of The Tomb Raider to Xbox even if it's only timed. This should never ever happen but it's clear that you don't seem to give a damn about PC and PS fans that have supported you along the way. Anyway here's a list of reasons why this game should not be exclusive(timed or not)

1. Divided community- Instead of everyone sharing their experiences about the game at the same time you have decided to tell 2/3 of your fanbase that they must wait.

2. Limited sales- TR 2013 was a great game and was supported across all platforms however I do believe the 360 was the least supportive out of the 3 the game was on. If the game did 3.4 million in the first month do you or Microsoft actually believe the sequel will do half of that on 1 platform?

3. History of Tomb Raider on PS and PC- Playstation and PC gamers have a long history of supporting this franchise but yet as of lately you have been shafting them whether it was the exclusive DLC in Underworld, the timed exclusive DLC in TR2013 or even the custom skinned controller, for platforms that have been with the franchise since the very first game they are not treated very well.

4. More powerful hardware-The PC and PS4 are more powerful than the Xbox One so you'd think that you would want to develop for those systems and then scale back when needed for the Xbox but for whatever reason Crystal seems to always handle the Xbox version while Nixxes or United Front Games handle the PC and PS version.

Seriously you need to get your act together and quit being swayed by Microsoft's money, it isn't fair to the community and you only piss people off in the process.

Tihocan
15th Aug 2014, 14:02
... but for whatever reason Crystal seems to always handle the Xbox version while Nixxes or United Front Games handle the PC and PS version.

As indicated in the other thread...

I'm not sure if this is because of platform favouritism, or that simply because developing on the PS3 was much more difficult with bollocks support, e.g.
* developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest (http://gamingbolt.com/developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest)
* sony-ps3-is-hard-to-develop-for-on-purpose (http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-ps3-is-hard-to-develop-for-on-purpose/)

If your aim is multiplatform, it makes sense to get it done on the easy one and have someone who knows what they're doing shift the nasty bits to the other one.

Plus, if that platform has some minor exclusivity deals (like the controller) and is getting direct backing and support from the provider, then it's a clear choice - but I don't know about those arrangements.

Murphdawg1
15th Aug 2014, 14:17

I'm not sure if this is because of platform favouritism, or that simply because developing on the PS3 was much more difficult with bollocks support, e.g.
* developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest (http://gamingbolt.com/developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest)
* sony-ps3-is-hard-to-develop-for-on-purpose (http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-ps3-is-hard-to-develop-for-on-purpose/)

If your aim is multiplatform, it makes sense to get it done on the easy one and have someone who knows what they're doing shift the nasty bits to the other one.

Plus, if that platform has some minor exclusivity deals (like the controller) and is getting direct backing and support from the provider, then it's a clear choice - but I don't know about those arrangements.

That was last generation though, the PS4 is the easier console to develop for than the Xbox One and it's the more powerful. Considering both new systems are very much like PCs in terms of hardware why not just develop for PC and then optimize for each console?

Tecstar70
15th Aug 2014, 14:52
That was last generation though, the PS4 is the easier console to develop for than the Xbox One and it's the more powerful. Considering both new systems are very much like PCs in terms of hardware why not just develop for PC and then optimize for each console?

I'm not sure its that quite straightforward but certainly developing for the PS3 and Xbox 360 and PC were totally different ballgames.

Samara
15th Aug 2014, 15:18
This is an absolute lack of respect for many fans who are there since the very beginning, who always were loyal and devoted (look how creative is the TR community: with their cosplays, graphic art, all those TRLE levels designed after all these years, fan soundtracks inspired from TR, fan movies, fan made stories, numerous fan sites).

That's a pretty lame shot. Unlike the Uncharted series, who were always exclusive games, now you're shooting in your own foot by losing quite an amount of fans who will be simply unable to play the game anymore. I'm tired of being peed in the face by you. You completely lack of consideration regarding your fans and followers.

I can't believe after all these years, how much I loved Lara and the whole TR universe, now you put a direct stop to it just because I did not choose the right console for you!

Well. I'd better stick to only Uncharted I guess. And hence I'll finally stop being disappointed all the time like that.

Metalrocks
15th Aug 2014, 15:34
companies just want to cut corners everywhere and cash in. or they really think that customers are all stupid and they can do what ever they want.

Murphdawg1
15th Aug 2014, 15:36
This is an absolute lack of respect for many fans who are there since the very beginning, who always were loyal and devoted (look how creative is the TR community: with their cosplays, graphic art, all those TRLE levels designed after all these years, fan soundtracks inspired from TR, fan movies, fan made stories, numerous fan sites).

That's a pretty lame shot. Unlike the Uncharted series, who were always exclusive games, now you're shooting in your own foot by losing quite an amount of fans who will be simply unable to play the game anymore. I'm tired of being peed in the face by you. You completely lack of consideration regarding your fans and followers.

I can't believe after all these years, how much I loved Lara and the whole TR universe, now you put a direct stop to it just because I did not choose the right console for you!

Well. I'd better stick to only Uncharted I guess. And hence I'll finally stop being disappointed all the time like that.

It's interesting that Microsoft fears Uncharted so much I mean do they not have confidence in Halo 5 or Quantum Break to sell systems? Uncharted 4 will with a doubt move PS4s but there's still alot of love for Tomb Raider and miss Croft on the Playstation side.

Samara
15th Aug 2014, 15:43
Uncharted 4 will with a doubt move PS4s but there's still alot of love for Tomb Raider and miss Croft on the Playstation side.

For sure, I love TR, and Uncharted is to me the closest game to TR. If you enjoy TR, you're likely to enjoy Uncharted as well. Couldn't we just all live in peace together? :hmm:

Tihocan
16th Aug 2014, 00:54

Because they have a very strong core competence now, in the XBox development platform. They may be very similar in hardware, but indeed the software architecture will be very different.

Just like at Trolltech (my previous^2 workplace) we developed on Linux because it was the easiest and most open, but had teams porting to Win32/64, Symbian and Mac. If we were suddenly to move to Windows development, the entire company (bar a few) would need to be retrained and we would lose months of actual dev time.

Leon S. Kennedy
16th Aug 2014, 01:00

CD already made a TR game for PS3 and they are using the same engine for this game. This had nothing to do with it. Also I don't think CD had any say in this deal. Square Enix was unhappy with TR sales for a long time and took a easy payday this time around.

Tihocan
16th Aug 2014, 02:28
CD already made a TR game for PS3 and they are using the same engine for this game. This had nothing to do with it. Also I don't think CD had any say in this deal. Square Enix was unhappy with TR sales for a long time and took a easy payday this time around.

Just because you have an engine does not mean you have 100% of the platform - otherwise, what would Nixxes be doing?

You're probably right though, it has been said that M$ has been very "supportive" of TR2013 so it's likely that SE rolled with that in a big way.
Though, for some reason, I would have expected Squenix to favour the Sony products...

Valenka
16th Aug 2014, 14:18
Original comment redacted. :)

Some good points there, but I think we've heard all that before. :p

motoleo
16th Aug 2014, 17:48
You all keep saying Tomb Raider has always been a Sony title. But this is a reboot. Things have changed.

... And a long history of supporting the franchise? That's debatable. This is a reboot.

Murphdawg1
16th Aug 2014, 18:06
You all keep saying Tomb Raider has always been a Sony title. But this is a reboot. Things have changed.

... And a long history of supporting the franchise? That's debatable. This is a reboot.

The fact that the series was rebooted doesn't wipe out the support Tomb Raider has recieved from the PC and Playstation crowd since the very first game.

Valenka
16th Aug 2014, 18:10
The fact that the series was rebooted doesn't wipe out the support Tomb Raider has recieved from the PC and Playstation crowd since the very first game.

Quite right.