PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Crystal Dynamics

pidipidi39
13th Aug 2014, 11:35
Ok, I just wanted to say my last words about this and then I'll be done.

Dear Crystal Dynamics,
as a gamer, for years I've seen companies being disrespected by gamers (because they disrespected the gamers).

But you, well, I liked you. You were this funny lil studio that I always respected and supported. During the reboot promotion period we had a lot of good moments (here on the forums and at conventions) and I was so proud of you. When ''Tomb Raider (2013)'' finally released and it was praised by critics and gamers I felt so happy.
Because we did it, you and us (the Tomb Raider fans): Tomb Raider was finally back on top. And you were probably my favourite studio. Back in June, when you announced both ''Rise of the Tomb Raider'' and ''Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris'', I became even more proud. So yeah, that's the point: I was happy, proud and I trusted you.

But now... I guess you can say my trust is all gone. While probably Microsoft offered you a load of money, you have just left out people who have supported you and enjoyed your games for yeah... money.
Now, I hope you understand that we're not complaining because ''Rise of the Tomb Raider'' is an Xbox exclusive. We're complaining because it is an exclusive. It could be a PC or a PS4 exclusive for that matter,
and we still would be mad. What's wrong in this is that a lot of your ''lifeblood'' will be left out.

I don't feel like saying ''I hope ROTTR will fail'', because I'm not that kind of guy who likes to make people feel bad. If ROTTR will be praised among critics and gamers and it will sell well, then I guess I'll just have to be happy for you.

But all I know is that I regret putting trust in you. As I said before, there are companies who are disrespected by gamers for similiar reasons, but I thought you were different. I really did.
I guess I was wrong.

Now, being a forgiving person, if one day you will ever back up your decision and bring back Tomb Raider on PC/PS4/XBOXONE, I think I will forgive you.

But until that moment, I don't want to even hear about all of this.
I hope you realize that you have just lost a lot of credibility among players all over the world, and that it will take a long time before you gain it back.
And (even if this won't probably matter that much) you have lost my support.

I'm done. :wave:

http://i.minus.com/iqslbsKphMWBS.gif

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 11:39
+1 You tell 'em, boo!

http://i.minus.com/iqslbsKphMWBS.gif

RiRi ain't the only one that's thirsty (*eyerolls* @ M$)

Seriously, though. I hope this thread stays and isn't merged. It's really different from the other ones and Crystal need to see this. This is a sentiment a lot of fans will agree with.

Tecstar70
13th Aug 2014, 11:48
It will be on all platforms. Complain about the deal by all means but it will be. Did MS really stump up £30 million for the exclusive? I think not.

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 11:53
It will be on all platforms. Complain about the deal by all means but it will be. Did MS really stump up £30 million for the exclusive? I think not.

Maybe, but till then we can only assume that they mean exclusive as that's all they are letting on. M$ are probably funding the development. Easing the financial risk, hence why they've obtained rights to have the game exclusive to their console. So I'm really stuck at whether or not to have hope in the game coming to any other consoles.

a_big_house
13th Aug 2014, 11:53

Think it the key word there, you know literally nothing more than anyone else, why don't you just let people vent their emotions, the more you post this stuff, the worse people feel.

Personally, I like the sound of this thread and would love to see everyone post what how/what they feel in a decent manner :)

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 12:09
Yes, respectable responses is what Pidi wants, I'm sure. Would be nice to have a community manager of some sorts being able to deal with this issue and maybe even have a peek at this letter and send it to Crystal.

Jurre
13th Aug 2014, 12:12
^ Methinks this is the reason why they haven't brought in a replacement for Meagan yet.

Probably wise, because to enter your job during such a crapstorm... The community will never really look upon you favourably...

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 12:20
^ Methinks this is the reason why they haven't brought in a replacement for Meagan yet.

Probably wise, because to enter your job during such a crapstorm... The community will never really look upon you favourably...

I actually think so aswell now. Make sense. :lol: Lucky for Meagan she's not here anymore. :whistle:

pidipidi39
13th Aug 2014, 12:33
Personally, I like the sound of this thread and would love to see everyone post what how/what they feel in a decent manner :)
Thank you. :)
And yes, I would highly appreciate (as Weemanply said) respectable responses.

Jurre
13th Aug 2014, 12:33
^^Yeah, it's the 'thank goodness grandpa didn't live to see this' kind of feeling...

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 12:35
^^Yeah, it's the 'thank goodness grandpa didn't live to see this' kind of feeling...

Too right. :lol: :thumb:

JaxGames
13th Aug 2014, 12:36
I feel like the with the language they're using like "holiday 2015" in literally everything makes me feel like its a timed exclusive and just can't say right now because of there deal with Microsoft.

AdeleDazeem
13th Aug 2014, 12:41
I feel like the with the language they're using like "holiday 2015" in literally everything makes me feel like its a timed exclusive and just can't say right now because of there deal with Microsoft.

Hope you're right. But the blog... it really feels exclusive after reading that.

Elliot Kane
13th Aug 2014, 16:04
Well, to be honest, I blame Square rather than Crystal. The writing was on the wall for me when TR2013 required Steam for the retail disks on PC - the first time in TR history that they used excessive DRM. I do not think that was Crystal's decision, as every prior game they put out only required the disk.

The writing should have been on the wall when there was platform exclusive stuff for Underworld, but silly me thought lessons had been learned and that was the last such slip Crystal would ever make.

If not for Square, it may have been, of course. Crystal always seem like nice people and I can't imagine them sticking their fans in the back this way of their own volition. TR has always been a multi-platform game right from the start, and I would not support exclusivity on any platform for that reason. Denying all fans the chance to play the game is simply unfair.

There is one thing money can never buy, and that is a good reputation. Unfortunately for Crystal, whether this is their doing or Square's, it is their reputation that will take a massive knock from this.

A shame indeed.

pidipidi39
13th Aug 2014, 16:07
^ I seriously hope it is a decision made by Square. :(

It would make me feel better.

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 16:07
Well, to be honest, I blame Square rather than Crystal. The writing was on the wall for me when TR2013 required Steam for the retail disks on PC - the first time in TR history that they used excessive DRM. I do not think that was Crystal's decision, as every prior game they put out only required the disk.

Crystal don't develop the games for PC, though. So they probably don't even care about where it ends up. It's probably a discussion between Nixxes and Square Enix.

BridgetFisher
13th Aug 2014, 16:31
Crystal don't develop the games for PC, though. So they probably don't even care about where it ends up. It's probably a discussion between Nixxes and Square Enix.

Im pretty sure at CD they dont have any staff that know how to make PC games, arent the games all ported by a third party company? minus the temple of osiris games, that by the way ARE AWESOME, now those guys got mad skillz to pay those billz XDDD

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 16:44
You basically asked a question I already answered. ;)

BridgetFisher
13th Aug 2014, 16:48
You basically asked a question I already answered. ;)

I wish at CD they would hire some game designers because Id really like to play the older TR games in some working format on PC, the way they are now their unplayable they dont work with controllers on steam. I hope this game sells better than the last one so they can hire some game designers though. Id hate to think that the old games are just dead abandonware when they work fine on xblive and psn but for PC users we get the fuzzy end of the lollipop!

Noone wants that end, its all fuzzy and gross.

Weemanply109
13th Aug 2014, 16:50
Bridget. I see what you're doing. Stawp.

Chocolate_shake
13th Aug 2014, 17:13
I also believed in them and passionately defended the reboot . But now I am exceedingly disappointed .

I know its a business and all , but they can't jerk around fans like this

Badly done crystal , it was badly done indeed !

d1n0_xD
13th Aug 2014, 17:16

I was thinking about that too yesterday, like "Where's a CM when we need one? ... Oh." xD

Error96_
13th Aug 2014, 19:00
I think SE/CD will get tons of flack for this and they deserve it. The playstation has done so much to build up the TR series and to sell out all of the PS and PC gamers is disgraceful. Even if it's timed it still represents CD saying we don't care about you as gamers or TR fans. Sure that may not be word for word what they are thinking but making 2/3 of fans a second priority is hardly a way to keep support for a brand.

QiX
13th Aug 2014, 19:13
I was about to preorder LCatToOsiris, when I heard about the exclusivity deal I gave up. I was considering to make a TR themed tattoo recently, hah! No way, sir. They lose people doing this kind of thing. Trust is an eraser, it gets smaller and smaller after every mistake.

_Love2Raid_
13th Aug 2014, 20:02
Very well put, I feel entirely the same way. :thumb:

I may also not buy Temple of Osiris... too bad, was really looking forward to it. Oh well. :)