PDA

View Full Version : Kabuki's Deceiver Gameplay and Shenanigans

KabukiTV
2nd Jul 2014, 23:41
I wanted to create my own thread for what I consider to be my own fun playstyle as the Deceiver. Eventually I will be possibly fleshing out this thread with more juicy details of my own, as an aside from the already posted game guide out there for most classes that is stickied.

Currently I typically main Deceiver or will play the occasional Reaver as well while playing with buddies. All gameplay is typically streamed on my Twitch channel as well. While I am no veteran or likely the best player around, I still thought it may be helpful to have something like this up for anyone interested in this class

A brief summary about me first however and my thoughts on Nosgoth as a new player is in order! I've been playing Nosgoth now for the past few days, and I have to say at first I was skeptical but lately as my friend's list grows more and playtime, I have to say I am impressed. I've been playing FPS's for quite a while now, considering I'm reaching my way into the big ole 33 years old age bracket :(

Some past experiences I personally have are with Counter-Strike, Gears of War and other various FPS games. I was even a CAL Anti-Cheat Admin during CAL's prime, for those who may of known what that league was about before ESEA really came into the scene.

I am making this post in hopes to shed more light, provide gameplay and possibly answer questions people may have as well about the Deceiver class. On the human side, I am focusing on the prophet currently, since I find that class the most enjoyable as well for me.

KabukiTV
2nd Jul 2014, 23:42
Where can I find you playing?

I typically will stream most of my gameplay on Twitch. You can find my stream and any past archives here. (http://twitch.tv/kabukitv)

Direct Gameplay Videos

Deceiver Gameplay Video #1 - 13k Damage/Top Kills (http://www.twitch.tv/kabukitv/c/4580170)

Deceiver skills and extra tidbits about each skill.

Disguise (Special/RMB - Cooldown 15secs): This is the Deceiver's bread and butter ability. It allows you to fade into complete invisibility for up to 5 seconds before coming into visibility disguised as a random enemy/enemy model.

Disguise Tidbits: When disguised as an enemy player, you are hindered by the inability to climb walls, jump/roll, or attack without revealing yourself. While disguised, you are unable to climb. If disguised, pressing the jump key or attacking, while automatically remove your disguise and/or invisibility as well. So tread carefully and plan your moves according.

Disguise can be used for multiple situations. By pressing and holding the right mouse button, you can stay invisible for as long as 5 seconds before becoming visible again! If you wish to become visible quicker, you can simply release the right mouse button before the time has expired. This skill allows for stealth infiltration, or even evasion.

While invisible, you are also able to use the backstab skill while still keeping the right mouse button depressed. Doing this will however bring you out of invisibility, but it works great for getting in and backstabbing without being seen to first setup.

Another great use for the disguise skill is for evading an attacker. Not only can disguise be used as an offensive weapon, but it's great defensively. Compared to phase, while invisible disguise leaves no outline of your character rendering you 100% impossible to see. Want to run away from the hunter shooting bolts into your butt? Use disguise! Used in conjunction with the skill phase, the ability to be stealthed increases a great amount.

Backstab(Primary Ability/Q Button Default - Cooldown 10secs): This is the Deceiver's biggest damage dealer and very useful. Summon an eldritch blade that deals 300 damage to an opposing player from the front, and 510 damage from the back! Make quick work with players after using this in no time.

Backstab Tidbits: This ability is pretty much self explanatory. You stab people! It works great in conjunction with disguise as mentioned above. The backstab however, can be a bit tricky to aim if you are not familiar with the mechanics of it. Instead of trying to aim directly at the player mid/centered position with your body, try to hit them instead with your right arm...For example, when aiming and lining up your backstab I found initially I would be using the middle of my body as a position or indicator to hit him. It didn't work out so well and I later learned that it is best to try and instead line them up right your right arm so the blade actually hits.

Backstab has a charge-up time before lunging forward. The time it takes for your blade to form or charge appears to be about 1.5 seconds. Once activated, you will no longer be able to move and will only lounge at the player with your blade once it fully forms. This can be hard for some to hit when using it on moving players. Once you activate backstab, the best way to follow your target as it is forming is by moving the camera to follow them. The lounge will then follow that direction and should head towards the direction you are facing, so try your best to predict their movement and rolls.

Backstab can NOT be used in conjunction with the phase ability.

Illusions (Secondary/E button default - Cooldown 20secs): An interesting skill, that allows you to manifest 2 copies of yourself that will randomly move around or attack players nearby. The illusions can attack players, however they do 0 damage. Each illusion has roughly 1/5th of your health and last for roughly 8 seconds. Great for confusing the enemy whether it be for escaping, or initiating.

Illusion Tidbits: Did you know? That while suffering a DoT such as being caught on fire, you can cast Illusions to remove the fire effect from you? Well now you know! Yes that is right, if you are ever caught in a fire wall from an alchemist or such, by casting illusions the effect is now removed from you. Keep in mind you can easily catch back on fire again if you run right into it after casting it.

While illusioned, you can still take damage as normal should the enemy attack the right one. I personally do not use illusions while I play, as I feel like phase offers more in terms of survival and damage than illusions do. The only time I would likely use illusions is if in the role of mind control/support type deceiver.

Phase (Secondary/E button default - Cooldown 25secs): This ability acts as yet another initiator or escape. Using this ability puts you into a stealth mode for 6 seconds, and deals 20 damage per second to all nearby enemies within range.

Phase Tidbits: Phase is great for clean up duties on low health humans, along with escaping or causing distraction for your team. Phase will also act as an escape ability while being Bola'd. When under the phase status, your player outline is still visible to players compared to disguise so be careful as players are still able to shoot you and you are still susceptible to all AoE damage.

While phased, you are unable to attack with melee however you are still able to jump/roll and climb walls. Another interesting use of phase is executing an enemy. While phased, you are able to execute which may come in handy if you don't wish to draw immediate attention to yourself while feasting. Keep in mind any smart player will still be able to see your outline, along with the fact the poor dead body is being sucked dry.

Dominate Mind (Special/RMB - Cooldown 20secs): This ability acts as a mind control on any targeted human. To use, use the right mouse button until the channeling time has completed, then once you aim/hover around a targeted human player there will be an icon above their head showing that they can be controlled. Once activated, that player is now under your control for 6 seconds and renders them yours.

Dominate Mind Tidbits: This ability works best when playing with a group using communication. Examples of use would be the coordinate an attack on a single target, with you being the initiator to remove them from the group. Another great method is using mind control on someone to stand in an AoE damage. Keep in mind, if you take any damage while using dominate mind the link will break and the player will regain control of themself.

I can't say that this ability is horrible, as it definitely has it's utility when playing. But I view it as mostly that, a support/utility ability for your team. So, because of that I don't recommend it for solo play but rather group play while having ample voice communication with your team.

Deceiver Perk Recommendations

Undying Widom : Highly recommend this perk, as it gives you cooldown reduction by 15%. Cooldown reduction for the Deceiver means more disguises, backstabs which in turns mean more ownage.

KabukiTV
3rd Jul 2014, 00:43
Any comments or questions etc can be directed to this thread if people wish. It is an ongoing thread and I will edit things as time goes along, be it adding more gameplay videos once I edit them in twitch, or adding more interesting methods to the class for those who enjoy it as much as I do.

Prime_Abstergo
3rd Jul 2014, 08:53
I recommend Berserker perk rather then Undying wisdom. Extra 100 dmg on BS and 40/80 on melee. Shame it doesnt work for Phase (BUG??? :D)

Soiuxsie
3rd Jul 2014, 09:13
If Berserk perk would work with Phase a Deceiver on low hp would be a real menace in a team fight :)

cmstache
3rd Jul 2014, 11:08
Berserker only works on normal attacks, not abilities. As per experimentation. If it did Skills like Savage Pounce could be a 1 hit kill.

Connatic
6th Jul 2014, 02:37
Disguise can be used for multiple situations. By pressing and holding the right mouse button, you can stay invisible for as long as 5 seconds before becoming visible again!

I made it to like Rank 20 before I realized this. It doesn't mention this at all in the tooltip and it's something they should probably mention. Either rewrite the tool tip or include it in Call Specific Tutorials if they every make them.

The backstab however, can be a bit tricky to aim if you are not familiar with the mechanics of it. Instead of trying to aim directly at the player mid/centered position with your body, try to hit them instead with your right arm...

I'm not sure what the point of this is. Just to add some sort of skill cap by making it counter-intuitive compared to how regular melee works? Again very frustrating for a new player. I just assumed it was bugged or there was a lot of lag. I would bounce off of Humans and they would take no damage from my backstab until I learned that you kind of have to hit them sideways :-/

This ability acts as a mind control on any targeted human. To use, use the right mouse button until the channeling time has completed, then once you aim/hover around a targeted human player there will be an icon above their head showing that they can be controlled.

This ability NEEDs a crosshair. This isn't Left 4 Dead, the Humans aren't trying to run to an exit, they are camping in one spot with all their guns pointing the same direction. With how hard it is to pull this off against experienced Humans, it needs to be easier to use. Without a crosshair, it's very hard to aim and keep the channeling time up on Humans at a distance...in fact I don't know why Vampires don't have crosshairs period.

Vytaftas
4th Aug 2014, 10:41
I made it to like Rank 20 before I realized this. It doesn't mention this at all in the tooltip and it's something they should probably mention. Either rewrite the tool tip or include it in Call Specific Tutorials if they every make them.
Well i am lvl 30 and i never knew you could do that, i was always wondering how some deceivers turned completely invisible

This ability NEEDs a crosshair. This isn't Left 4 Dead, the Humans aren't trying to run to an exit, they are camping in one spot with all their guns pointing the same direction. With how hard it is to pull this off against experienced Humans, it needs to be easier to use. Without a crosshair, it's very hard to aim and keep the channeling time up on Humans at a distance...in fact I don't know why Vampires don't have crosshairs period.I Agree

Prime_Abstergo
4th Aug 2014, 11:09
Berserker only works on normal attacks, not abilities. As per experimentation. If it did Skills like Savage Pounce could be a 1 hit kill. Ye, I know... Still it works with Backstab.
Damn I want elite skin for Deceiver so hard... any updates?