PDA

View Full Version : A more realistic Silent Assassin system

FootFetish4Life
12th Aug 2014, 04:24
Okay, I just started playing Contracts again, from start to finish, taking in the story and cutscenes, and attempting to get Silent Assassin on every level, Blood Money and Silent Assassin, too, concurrently.

Contracts is just a lot more fun this way. Before I would just kill anyone that got in my way, now i"m playing to a standard. I just feel more like a professional assassin; no witnesses, minimal collateral damage, putting 47's signature on every hit.

However, I think Blood Money was developed with a different mindset. Some of the levels in Blood Money just feel better accomplished below the Silent Assassin rating. Curtains Down, for example, the opera sissy is shot to death by a gun that 47 planted, then you drop a light rig on the next target after luring him to the murder scene. It just seemed so unplausible and unrealistic, whereas in real life 47 would've probably picked off Ambassador Delahunt with a sniper rifle.

That's my complaint about the Silent Assassin rating. It feels more like a video game achievement than actually fitting into the story of 47.

Also, there are just too many restrictions for Silent Assassin. Part of what intrigues me about Hitman, at the risk of sounding sick, is the dark serial killer aspect of 47. Now, in Blood Money you can't even kill anyone.

A bone I have to pick with Contracts is that every kill must be done with the fiber wire, a limit for sniper rifles. Why can't I use my silverballer silenced? I'm sure 47 can scrape the barrel to remove any identifications.

I think in H6, the Silent Assassin mode should be more fun and fit into the context of 47 and the story.

Thoughts?

AdrianShephard
12th Aug 2014, 05:59
Firstly, you are allowed to use guns in Contracts to get the SA rating. Look that up.

Blood Money's silent assassin is different from the other games because of the introduction of accidents. Here, SA was more of a "make the killing look natural" instead of "leave no witnesses". Other than that, the game played out exactly the same as the others in terms of assassinating. BM made it so that you didn't have to go too far out of your way to achieve the SA rating.

I don't understand your point of "SA doesn't fit into the story of 47". Why not? He is a silent assassin, no? Just because he didn't leave his bullet in the guys head doesn't make it wrong.

You can kill NPCs in BM and still get SA, just make them accidents. Too many restriction to get SA? Well it is the ultimate challenge provided by the devs in Hitman so it's not going to be easy and shouldn't be. 47 is a serial killer in the sense that most of his victims are his targets, so he isn't one in-mission of you get what I mean. You are penalized for killing non-target for a reason...it adds unnecessary trouble to kill innocents and isn't the work of a professional. If you have ever played the Thief series, it clearly states that killing innocents is the mark of an inexperienced amateur...same idea here.

FootFetish4Life
12th Aug 2014, 07:00
Number 1, I did the Beldingford manner twice, the only exception for both times being I used a fiber wire and a silverballer on the same guard. The fiber wire play through got me SA. Maybe you're right, but that game was buggy as hell.

Number 2, I never said anything about killing innocents, just bad guys, as in Contracts, 2 hired goons were allowed. You're right, a hotshot professional shouldn't really leave any additional bodies, but I think this is one of those suspension of reality moments.

FootFetish4Life
12th Aug 2014, 07:07
I don't understand your point of "SA doesn't fit into the story of 47". Why not? He is a silent assassin, no? Just because he didn't leave his bullet in the guys head doesn't make it wrong.

Just because he did leave a bullet in the guys head shouldn't make it wrong either, which was the point I was trying to make. I rather they would've just made it harder to gain access to a sniping point, than to have a cheap coincidental accident that was caused by someone deliberately blowing up a light fixture. It just ruined the immersion for me. That was the worst hit in the game. A more dramatic ending would've been synching the sniper round, the WWII pistol round and the opera note together.

AdrianShephard
12th Aug 2014, 07:08
Number 1, I did the Beldingford manner twice, the only exception for both times being I used a fiber wire and a silverballer on the same guard. The fiber wire play through got me SA. Maybe you're right, but that game was buggy as hell.

Number 2, I never said anything about killing innocents, just bad guys, as in Contracts, 2 hired goons were allowed. You're right, a hotshot professional shouldn't really leave any additional bodies, but I think this is one of those suspension of reality moments.

The game is super buggy. Some missions you're allowed 2 giys an others you are allowed only 1.

I wouldn't necessarily call it suspension of reality, since 47 being a professional is played up in the game as well.

AdrianShephard
12th Aug 2014, 07:09
Alright I'll did find it stupid how a bullet to the head wasn't as good as an accident but like I said before I think the point is to make every kill look like an accident.