PDA

View Full Version : Directional walking vs strafing

AdrianShephard
6th Aug 2014, 01:21
The first 3 Hitman games featured strafing i.e. when you pressed the directional arrows, 47 moves in the appropriate direction but his chest points in the same direction.

Blood Money and Absolution feature what I'm calling directional walking where 47's entire body points in the direction that you are walking.

Both have the merits, but I prefer the strafing because of the additional challenge and more control over 47's body. There are situations where NPC's will see through your disguise if they get a good look at your face (Hunter and Hunted from Contracts for example), and the ability to strafe makes it easier to keep your back to them. That being said, you also don't have camera freedom that is in BM and Absolution, so you can't look behind you while walking forward. Shooting is also easier when you are able to strafe.

I'm sure IO has the ability to include both if they wanted (it would be toggled). Resident Evil 1 is getting a remaster that features a toggable system like this. Which do you guys prefer?

shwanedangles
6th Aug 2014, 02:44
I think they should try the camera and aiming like the first three but still include aiming over the shoulder.

kewlak
6th Aug 2014, 08:55
Basically it doesn't matter to me. If you don't like directional walking you don't have to use it. Just hold forward button and navigate with mouse. I always thought directional walking merely simplifies looking around, so you don't have to face guards to look at them. As long as looking on the guards (face to face) doesn't trigger their suspicion it really doesn't matter what walking style will be implemented. For those who like 'strafing' you can switch this mode in Blood Money and Absolution by simply changing view from TPP to FPP. 'Strafing' can be trigger in shooting mode as well.

gkkiller
6th Aug 2014, 12:57
I like the idea of making it toggle-able. I prefer the turn-with-camera option from the older games over the newer style, but yeah, sometimes, you just want to turn the camera to 47's front and watch him walk away from a screaming target as you hit the detonator and a bomb explodes.

For those who like 'strafing' you can switch this mode in Blood Money and Absolution by simply changing view from TPP to FPP. 'Strafing' can be trigger in shooting mode as well.

There was no first person in Absolution.

kewlak
6th Aug 2014, 13:30
but yeah, sometimes, you just want to turn the camera to 47's front and watch him walk away from a screaming target as you hit the detonator and a bomb explodes.
Hahah! Yea... and here we have another reason to use directional walking... cool guys don't look at explosions :cool:

There was no first person in Absolution.
oh...

FootFetish4Life
12th Aug 2014, 03:29
I think both aspects are important but if I definitely had to put my finger on one, I'd go with directional walking. I can see how a keyboard might offer more flexibility when it comes to controls but those playing on console may have to compromise.

Also, you're missing the point about aesthetics. 47 walking backwards all the time should arouse suspicion.

In Absolution there was a dedicated button to draw your weapon, I think maybe, while unarmed it should allow you to strafe, that's if the directional buttons aren't already assigned to other actions.

AdrianShephard
12th Aug 2014, 05:18
I think both aspects are important but if I definitely had to put my finger on one, I'd go with directional walking. I can see how a keyboard might offer more flexibility when it comes to controls but those playing on console may have to compromise.

Also, you're missing the point about aesthetics. 47 walking backwards all the time should arouse suspicion.

In Absolution there was a dedicated button to draw your weapon, I think maybe, while unarmed it should allow you to strafe, that's if the directional buttons aren't already assigned to other actions.

Looks like consoles limit PCs in another aspect.

And why would you be walking backwards? When would you ever do that?

gkkiller
12th Aug 2014, 12:01
Simple solution: add both systems, assign a button - say, Alt - to toggle between turn-with-camera and turn-with-movement modes.