PDA

View Full Version : So I got the latest Humble Bundle...

Doom972
29th Jul 2014, 17:10
Ever since it was announced that the Director's Cut would be sold as a seperate game instead of a patch, I decided that I don't want anything to do with this developer. The release of Deus Ex: The Fall - a watered down Deus Ex game made for tablets didn't help either.

Recently, the Humble Square Enix Bundle was released. It gave me a way to give these game a chance legally without supporting the developer by giving all the money to charity (The Make-a-Wish foundation is one of my favorites BTW). I decided that if I turned out to be wrong about them, I would support them by pre-ordering the next game.

I suppose that at this point there's no use to talking about the many flaws of DXTF. I could forgive all of them except for one - it's a demo that contains only one hub area and ends with a "To be continued". I guess that they expect us to buy this game in pieces. I'm ok with episodic games - I've played some of Telltales' games and enjoyed them. The difference is that Telltales were honest enough to mention the episodic nature of the games in their descriptions and even in their names ("The Walking Dead: Episode 1", "Sam and Max: Season 2", etc). They didn't mention anywhere that this game is the first episode of a series.

As for the Director's Cut - I really wanted to be proven wrong and be amazed at the changes. The game looks slightly better now (it could be that I remember it wrong) but that's about it. I'm in Hengsha now, about to get into Tai-Yong Medical's facility. Everything is the same so far except for the fight with Barret, which now had turrets I could hack and use against him (I won't lie, it was satisfying). It seems that I was right and this is nothing more than a patch that costs money - a dangerous precedent in this industry.

Luckily, I can't say that I wasted my money, as it all went to a good cause and not a single cent of it went to Eidos Montreal or Square Enix.

Franubis
29th Jul 2014, 20:43
Deus Ex The Fall's episodes were most likely cancelled... They just won't happen.

CyberP
29th Jul 2014, 21:30
Yeah...it's a technological marvel that a bastard child DX can exist on mobile and look that good but that's a compliment for the phones more than anything.
On the one hand I'd have liked DX:TF to have done well, get mobile gamers playing something other than kardashian, flappy bird, angry birds and candy crush (no capitalization granted again), but on the other that's Deus Ex you are ruining for ****'s sake you clowns.

AdrianShephard
30th Jul 2014, 02:00
Yeah...it's a technological marvel that a bastard child DX can exist on mobile and look that good but that's a compliment for the phones more than anything.
On the one hand I'd have liked DX:TF to have done well, get mobile gamers playing something other than kardashian, flappy bird, angry birds and candy crush (no capitalization granted again), but on the other that's Deus Ex you are ruining for ****'s sake you clowns.

CyperP spits the truth again.