PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is Deus EX 4?

David Holy
26th Jul 2014, 23:31
*Moderator Edit/Updates*

The latest report hinting at the possible title and containing a new image showing DXU concept art.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a578438/deus-ex-universe-now-a-mass-effect-style-trilogy.html#~oMZVH3bVqHrEpV

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/future-vision-for-deus-ex?theme=deusex

Key quote:

"I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game."

__ *end of edit/update*

Guys, you are killing me. No information at e3, no screens, no trailers... nothing... The last game was being released almost three years ago. I need anything to enjoy something, even if its only a pressrelease like: Guys we are kicking ass next time with deus ex 4. Better. Bigger. Don´t be so cruel :wave::worship:

And do not forget:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=139668

:wave:

A die hardcore fan really almost dying hard.

WildcatPhoenix
26th Jul 2014, 23:59
Guys, you are killing me. No information at e3, no screens, no trailers... nothing... The last game was being released almost three years ago. I need anything to enjoy something, even if its only a pressrelease like: Guys we are kicking ass next time with deus ex 4. Better. Bigger. Don´t be so cruel :wave::worship:

And do not forget:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=139668

:wave:

A die hardcore fan really almost dying hard.

While I share your sentiments, I'm really just looking for some small bit of information or a screenshot or two. Hell, some more concept art would be better than nothing! As for the game itself, they can (and should) take as long as necessary to make it an improvement over DX:HR and- dare I say it?- the original Deus Ex. I don't want just another cut-and-paste sequel to a "franchise." I want something groundbreaking, something unique, something that we'll be talking about for the next 10-15 years to come.

And that kind of quality takes time.

Still, doesn't mean they can't throw us a bone or two on the update front.

AdrianShephard
27th Jul 2014, 02:54
As for the game itself, they can (and should) take as long as necessary to make it an improvement over DX:HR and- dare I say it?- the original Deus Ex.

Never going to happen without Spector/Smith/Pacotti/Todd/Brandon/van den Bos.

Okay maybe only the first 2 are the most important but still...

I agree that EM should take their time. I hope they also got a new lead writer or the lead writer had the big epiphany (not going to happen).

Spyhopping
27th Jul 2014, 08:43
EM will only release information when they're absolutely ready to do so. Gotta respect their stubbornness, but it'd be so nice to reignite some excitement already, and it'd only take a small statement as described above.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Jul 2014, 08:57
I'm relying on JJB to throw us a morsel or two... :cool: :worship:

CyberP
27th Jul 2014, 10:53
Yeah just be patient. As I said before the lack of information either means they are really knuckling down and don't feel ready to reveal anything (which is good) or there are internal issues affecting development.

make it an improvement over DX:HR and- dare I say it?- the original Deus Ex.

Never going to happen without Spector/Smith/Pacotti/Todd/Brandon/van den Bos.

*cough* (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2026812&postcount=112)

OneUp77
27th Jul 2014, 19:04
By the time a teaser is release, probably a 10 second one, everybody will be too busy playing Battlefield:Hardline
,COD:AW and Sunset Overdrive. Hell I'm more excited for SSOD then this right now.

Looks like they missed the chance to show that their game is more then just some shooter.

Shralla
27th Jul 2014, 19:19
We're still going to get information before anybody who bought the Director's Cut has their issues fixed, so it's not taking that long.

AdrianShephard
28th Jul 2014, 00:56
By the time a teaser is release, probably a 10 second one, everybody will be too busy playing Battlefield:Hardline
,COD:AW and Sunset Overdrive. Hell I'm more excited for SSOD then this right now.

Looks like they missed the chance to show that their game is more then just some shooter.

As long as it isn't a montage of scenes/conspiracies that will never be in the game.

CyberP
28th Jul 2014, 01:07
As long as it isn't a montage of scenes/conspiracies that will never be in the game.

After EM/SE released their trailer for DX:HR they caught the attention of some very powerful people, what with lines such as "Corporations have more power than the government", and the inclusion of the all-seeing eye. EM/SE recieved very firm, confident and menacing threats that in short read something along the lines of "Cease & desist or face your final consequences", or so the rumours say. This forced EM to cut content from the game, remove the majority of educational & influential content regarding conspiracies, and dumb down the gameplay for sales as their game was already torn down so they had little choice; the quality of what once was a great game had been suppressed by this powerful influence.
This is why things don't add up in DX:HR, it's gameplay is somewhat lacklustre, it lacks memorable moments and content was clearly cut. The masses must stay as docile and ignorant as always.

Satirical tin foil hat firmly ON :D

Shralla
28th Jul 2014, 02:01
Haha, I wish I could justify Human Revolution turning out like it did with that story.

AdrianShephard
28th Jul 2014, 03:53
"Corporations have more power than the government"

As I was playing through HR the first time, that quote kept ringing in my head. I was waiting for the moment Adam said that/ the big reveal showed up.

Boy, was I disappointed.

Lucifer
28th Jul 2014, 08:31
I think they are preparing gameplay and will show at Gamescom 2014 August.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2014, 09:22
Gamescom 2014 August.

Augmented fingers crossed. :cool:

Darthassin
28th Jul 2014, 13:36

Highly unlikely but we can keep dreaming, right?

WildcatPhoenix
28th Jul 2014, 18:16

I'd like to think so, but none of the Gamescom previews I've read anticipate a major presentation from Square or mention DX4 at all. Doesn't necessarily mean there's no chance, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2014, 18:20
I enjoy it when my hopes go up. :p

AdrianShephard
28th Jul 2014, 18:58
I just realized:

zwanzig always has at least 1 "bro" in his messages

Viktoria always has at least one smiley in her messages

Maybe they're related?

Lucifer
28th Jul 2014, 19:44
Titles missed at E3 , there is Cyberpunk and Deus Ex ,two very interesting titles.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/556669/20140623/14-popular-game-titles-missed-e3-2014.htm

David Holy
28th Jul 2014, 22:06
While I share your sentiments, I'm really just looking for some small bit of information or a screenshot or two. Hell, some more concept art would be better than nothing! As for the game itself, they can (and should) take as long as necessary to make it an improvement over DX:HR and- dare I say it?- the original Deus Ex. I don't want just another cut-and-paste sequel to a "franchise." I want something groundbreaking, something unique, something that we'll be talking about for the next 10-15 years to come.

And that kind of quality takes time.

Still, doesn't mean they can't throw us a bone or two on the update front.

Would be great if they would catch up to the first Deus Ex... there isnt much missing, in my oppinion. A bit more man in black, Walter Simons and Co... (maybe Backgroundstory, production, etc..), more consequences, swimming again, lockpicking revival, more secrets, more locations, more ;) more ;) :whistle: But honestly, i think the need to surpass the "old" game. I am confident that there will be huge improvements in gameplay.

I dont think they will show something at gamescom. Although gamescom is regarding visitors the largest convention in the gamesector.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2014, 22:17
Viktoria always has at least one smiley in her messages

An exaggeration and so not true. Check my post history. :rasp:

OneUp77
29th Jul 2014, 17:18
DX4 is currently on hold due to Square's desire to sell mobile games at an outrageous price.

Fitzchenko
14th Aug 2014, 20:46
I was desperately hoping for something out of gamescom but it would appear the wait continues. This is as excruciating as when we had to wait an eternity for more having seen a bionic embryo (seriously, how long was that wait?!)

Shralla
14th Aug 2014, 21:02
Gamescom goes until the 17th. I know most of the announcements are done, but we can hope.

It is totally ridiculous that we have gameplay footage of the Tomb Raider sequel to a game that came out last year, while HR has been out for three years and we haven't heard a goddamn thing.

Ashpolt
14th Aug 2014, 21:33
It is totally ridiculous that we have gameplay footage of the Tomb Raider sequel to a game that came out last year, while HR has been out for three years and we haven't heard a goddamn thing.

To be fair to EM, a game like Deus Ex will take a lot longer to develop than one like Tomb Raider. I'd have been very, very concerned if they'd started showing a sequel to DXHR only a year after its release, as they did with Tomb Raider. I'm more than happy to wait for a new Deus Ex game - as long as the time is spent well.

WildcatPhoenix
14th Aug 2014, 21:46
To be fair to EM, a game like Deus Ex will take a lot longer to develop than one like Tomb Raider. I'd have been very, very concerned if they'd started showing a sequel to DXHR only a year after its release, as they did with Tomb Raider. I'm more than happy to wait for a new Deus Ex game - as long as the time is spent well.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Let them take as long as they need, as long as they do it right this time.

All I'm asking for is a brief teaser, some concept art, a few tiny details to satisfy our curiosity for a few more weeks/months/years? until a real trailer is ready.

besyuziki
14th Aug 2014, 22:05
Sure. Let them take their sweet time and make the final product as good and memorable as possible instead of pooping out soulless annual or biennial sequels, but is it too early for a simple DX4 teaser or announcement? ;)

Ashpolt
14th Aug 2014, 23:40
Honestly, I'd prefer they wait until they have something actually worth showing us. We saw with DXHR what happens when they "announce" and then have a significant wait before giving actual details, and I don't want to see that again. We already know the game is in development, so what purpose would a fully pre-rendered teaser serve? Gameplay or bust, as far as I'm concerned.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Aug 2014, 23:54
... but is it too early for a simple DX4 teaser or announcement? ;)

Its never too early for a teaser. :cool:
I really enjoyed DXHR's initial teaser trailer. The images provoked some interesting discussion and speculation.

besyuziki
15th Aug 2014, 00:32
I hate pre-rendered videos too, but as long as the public is interested in them, they'll be a thing. HR's first teaser with the embryo and the other teaser with the Pegasus dream sequence had very little to do with the actual game, but they were both analyzed to death frame by frame, and gave people something to speculate about as Viktoria said.

In an ideal world DX4 would be revealed with in-game footage, but when life gives you teasers, make lemonade.

Jito463
15th Aug 2014, 01:11
We already know the game is in development

We do? When was that announced?

Ashpolt
15th Aug 2014, 09:29
We do? When was that announced?

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/future-vision-for-deus-ex?theme=deusex

Key quote:

"I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Aug 2014, 09:40
The last article I read regarding the Deus Ex Universe was from Digispy. Link below.

The report hints at the possible title and contains a new image showing DXU concept art.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a578438/deus-ex-universe-now-a-mass-effect-style-trilogy.html#~oMZVH3bVqHrEpV

Shralla
15th Aug 2014, 17:52
Sure, Deus Ex games take time. HR took its sweet-ass time, but didn't seem to be any better for it. Yeah I don't want them to rush anything, but it's THREE YEARS later. Three years after Invisible War, when we never thought we were going to see any more Deus Ex ever again, we found out about Deus Ex 3. Now we're well aware that there's going to be a sequel, but we've heard almost nothing about it at all.

We'll wait forever for a new Deus Ex. The rest of the gaming audience won't, and we all know that's who they're really trying to sell the game to.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Aug 2014, 19:06
We'll wait forever for a new Deus Ex. The rest of the gaming audience won't, and we all know that's who they're really trying to sell the game to.
I imagine the rest of the gaming audience are busy playing games.
DX won't come back to mind until the time that marketing begins. Isn't this the way it usually works?

WildcatPhoenix
15th Aug 2014, 19:13
I imagine the rest of the gaming audience are busy playing games.
DX won't come back to mind until the time that marketing begins. Isn't this the way it usually works?

He's referring to "striking while the iron is hot," or in other words, capitalizing on the relatively positive critical and commercial reception to DXHR in order to stimulate interest in a sequel. The more time passes without any word or news of DX4, the more the memory of Human Revolution fades in the minds of the general gaming public.

Let's face it, while the original Deus Ex was a critical darling and had a very loyal, very dedicated fanbase, it was hardly a household word like Half-Life, Quake, or Final Fantasy (or to use modern examples, Call of Duty or Halo). For all its faults, Human Revolution did manage to raise the public profile of the franchise by quite a bit.

That mainstream public awareness and excitement may dissipate, however, if it isn't fed by a marketing campaign or other hype-building activities like teaser trailers, screenshots, or news articles.

CyberP
15th Aug 2014, 19:18
The marketing campaign of DX:HR was pretty good I thought. Shame the game didn't sell more really.

That mainstream public awareness and excitement may dissipate, however, if it isn't fed by a marketing campaign or other hype-building activities like teaser trailers, screenshots, or news articles.

I'm sure we'll get a teaser soon.

Ashpolt
15th Aug 2014, 19:23
Three years after Invisible War, when we never thought we were going to see any more Deus Ex ever again, we found out about Deus Ex 3.

Holy crap, that's staggering. I had to check that, but you're right. Wow. Bear in mind though that DX3 was announced ridiculously early to attract development talent to a nascent studio. If it had been coming from an established studio, we probably wouldn't have heard anything about it until 2009 or so.

Now we're well aware that there's going to be a sequel, but we've heard almost nothing about it at all.

Which, to be fair, is about all we really heard about DX3 in 2007 (i.e. 3 years after IW's release.) In fact, we probably knew even less about DXHR then than we do about DX4 now, given that we thought it'd be called DX3 back in those days. At least we know that the next game is called Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

tl;dr: relax. We know DirectX: Medical Doctor is coming. We know it's likely to be broadly similar to DXHR with a few tweaks. A CG trailer won't tell us anything worth knowing.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Aug 2014, 20:09
He's referring to "striking while the iron is hot," or in other words, capitalizing on the relatively positive critical and commercial reception to DXHR in order to stimulate interest in a sequel. The more time passes without any word or news of DX4, the more the memory of Human Revolution fades in the minds of the general gaming public.

Let's face it, while the original Deus Ex was a critical darling and had a very loyal, very dedicated fanbase, it was hardly a household word like Half-Life, Quake, or Final Fantasy (or to use modern examples, Call of Duty or Halo). For all its faults, Human Revolution did manage to raise the public profile of the franchise by quite a bit.

You could be correct about the memory of DXHR fading, but I think the franchise is unique enough to be remembered and DXHR, as you say, certainly gained much attention.

I'm pretty sure we will see a large marketing campaign but expect the majority of it will be closer to release date.

Jito463
15th Aug 2014, 21:31
I must have skimmed right over the part of the new game, when I saw the Deus Ex: Universe stuff, given that the Universe part encompasses the entire brand now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yelorova
17th Aug 2014, 05:11
I'm expecting something on E3, or am I being to much optimistic?

WildcatPhoenix
17th Aug 2014, 14:30
I'm expecting something on E3, or am I being to much optimistic?

As in, E3 2015? :scratch:

Yelorova
17th Aug 2014, 21:24
As in, E3 2015? :scratch:

Well, I'm sure the E3 2014 seems unlikely:D

WildcatPhoenix
18th Aug 2014, 00:47
Well, I'm sure the E3 2014 seems unlikely:D

Obviously, but I'd be pretty darn upset if we had to wait all the way until summer 2015 before getting any updates whatsoever on DX4.

FrankCSIS
18th Aug 2014, 21:25
Whatever the reasons for taking their sweet time, I hope some of it was used for an honest debriefing, and the inevitable "Where do we go from now?". The public post-mortem was a giant self-tap in the back (pg13 way to describe it!), but I can respect it if they preferred to look at it without tinted glasses behind closed doors.

I still think, as a game, they've built solid enough foundations to bring it somewhere else, and, most importantly, take more risks. They owe it to themselves, and the game, to open up the gameplay in more interesting and diversified paths.

I'll say, the initial premise was risky. Brand new studio, tackling a household name beloved of fans and critiques, unknown to many of the new players they needed to financially succeed. That took some guts. But the game, the game is filled with consensus that never once leave the 12-lane highway, and only ever scratches the surface of what it really seems to try to do. Everything they've learned, though, it's all in the bank. Past problems are solved, and we can move on to brand new, more complex ones!

Hopefully that's what they are doing. And not just applying a bigger story and world to the initial formula. What's the point of even making games, if that's what you constantly do with them?

Shralla
26th Aug 2014, 23:52
Thanks to the Deus Ex facebook (https://www.facebook.com/DeusEx/photos/a.133016570085033.29731.119442141442476/699148136805204/?type=1), I was made aware that yesterday officially marked three years from the release of Human Revolution. What the hell.

LeMoN_LiMe
28th Aug 2014, 05:22
I agree that they need to take more risks in the story.

I like HR, but it was a clone in terms of story locations. It could have been better.

Mousehunt
4th Sep 2014, 13:33
It'd be cool if Deus Ex inherited the move faster than you can see reverse swallow from Ninja Gaiden. Yeah, like teleporting.

Also like, four arms. That'd be cool. Four arm take-downs.

When you land on someone you should do an automatic take-down. That would be way better.

Need way better upgraded dermal armour aswell! I keep getting holes in me all the time, could you work on that please.

Also totally need like a power upgrade man, like modular interchangeable power cells inserted directly into my chest. Yep.

I liked the reflex booster.

Also might be nice to try on some mechanical tentacles and some wings. Half-wing power boosters. Yep totally.

Be cool if you could punch through any wall too. You might need some Sarif Industries upgraded pneumatic arms though. I totally want some of those.

Cyborg renegade ninjas don't need Glass-Shield Cloaking Systems.

CyberP
4th Sep 2014, 13:39
It'd be cool if Deus Ex inherited the move faster than you can see reverse swallow from Ninja Gaiden. Yeah, like teleporting.

Also like, four arms. That'd be cool. Four arm take-downs.

Need way better upgraded dermal armour aswell! I keep getting holes in me all the time, could you work on that please.

Also totally need like a power upgrade man, like modular interchangeable power cells inserted directly into my chest. Yep.

I liked the reflex booster.

Also might be nice to try on some mechanical tentacles and some wings. Half-wing power boosters. Yep totally.

Be cool if you could punch through any wall too. You might need some Sarif Industries upgraded pneumatic arms though. I totally want some of those.

Cyborg renegade ninjas don't need Glass-Shield Cloaking Systems.

Not sure if trolling.

When you land on someone you should do an automatic take-down. That would be way better.

No, if aerial takedowns are happening they should be like in Dishonored: player triggered. Requires timing.

Mousehunt
4th Sep 2014, 14:26
Not sure if trolling.

I was just having some fun thinking up some bio augmentations I'd like to try out in DX Universe.

ricwhite
2nd Oct 2014, 21:37
Do you think Deux Ex 4 will take as long to come out as Half-Life 3?

Jito463
3rd Oct 2014, 04:12
Hopefully it won't take as long as DNF, in any case. :)

Miyavi
3rd Oct 2014, 19:47
Unlike the film that I have no hopes in, future games if improved and not totally rehashed from dx3 looks promising.

ryamkajr
11th Oct 2014, 10:15
Will be interesting. Eidos has Tomb Raider (reboot) 2 coming out next year for Xbox only. Will they be targeting a wide release for DX:U (or whatever) for all platforms to cover the Christmas season, or would they rather wait until 2016 to not cannibalize TR2 sales.....

Shralla
11th Oct 2014, 18:33
I don't think that Deus Ex would really cut into Tomb Raider sales or vice versa.