PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lara's mind

chriss_99
17th Jul 2014, 19:58
Hey guy's I had a thought. Sort of crazy though.

What would you say, if everything we saw in the next game took place in Lara's mind?
I really do mean everything. Locations, enemies, supporting cast.
What would you say, if the main goal was to saw Lara's sanity?

Would that be too crazy? :D

Driber
17th Jul 2014, 20:38
You mean like MirrorMask? :D

Ellie92
17th Jul 2014, 20:42
Like Tyler Durden. O_o

chriss_99
17th Jul 2014, 20:47
You're taking the mickey out of me, aren't you? :D

Think about something less messed up.
The location in the trailer fits perfectly.
Like Alan Wake's DLC.

d1n0_xD
17th Jul 2014, 20:51
Could be a nice addition to it, but maybe a level or two, not the entire game... I can see a couple of scenarios happening:

1) Lara gets knocked out, maybe a bad fall, she wakes up, and the next level is kinda crazy, but then she wakes up, which means it was a dream.

2) Lara start to see unexplained shapes around corners in a blink of an eye, or sth like that.

3) A trippy level similar to Far Cry 3, maybe she was captured and the captor pumped her full of LSD xD

Like I said, could be a nice addition if it were a couple of levels, or some mechanic withing the game, and is explained by story, but not an entire game, no, would be a shame xD

Ellie92
17th Jul 2014, 20:51
I like it half real, half in her mind. Like Spec Ops - The Line.

daventry
17th Jul 2014, 20:53
Like TRC where her Friends were talking about Lara's past and then we played those Adventures.

Hence the Therapy where Lara tells of her early exploits, then we play those Levels.

Thus it could lead to a Confusion when Lara's First Adventure was on the Island, yet the Flashbacks could revolve with Sam and Lara being in the Game and thats a Horrible Idea

d1n0_xD
17th Jul 2014, 20:53
I like it half real, half in her mind. Like Spec Ops - The Line.

That could be very nice :D :thumb:

chriss_99
17th Jul 2014, 20:54
An introductory DLC like that before the game would be great idea!

Driber
17th Jul 2014, 20:55
You're taking the mickey out of me, aren't you? :D

I confess :D

pomeranianpuppy
17th Jul 2014, 20:58
At least Roth could come back

Ellie92
17th Jul 2014, 21:01
I don't like it if everything is in her mind like "Oh, just a dream", I'd like it if just a few little things happen in her mind but those little things affect the story and what Lara does drastically and in the end it becomes clear what actually happened.

daventry
17th Jul 2014, 21:05
At least Roth could come backScariest part in the Comic

Rai
17th Jul 2014, 21:23
At least Roth could come back

How? Roth died in TR'13, we're talking about RiseoTTR here, aren't we?

I'm not at all keen on the idea of the whole thing being in her mind/a dream. Would it be revealed as being as such in the end? I'd feel cheated of my efforts :p. However, I wouldn't mind a short segment where she's hallucinating or similar as suggested by dino. It could be a little out there like Floating Islands. I always felt that that level was some weird dream,hallucination anyway :p.

Driber
17th Jul 2014, 22:07
^ I skimmed that post at first and read "a segment where Lara is hallucinating a dino" :lol:

Edit: Wait, that could actually.... work?!

http://driber.net/os/barney-mind-blown.gif

d1n0_xD
17th Jul 2014, 22:16
Well, that's it, my cover is blown, my role in the game is confirmed xD

@Driber, that would be a nice easter egg :D

Driber
17th Jul 2014, 22:21
Indeed! :D

width=200

RougeisSerina
17th Jul 2014, 22:56
Yes, quack, quack!

pomeranianpuppy
17th Jul 2014, 23:19
Scariest part in the Comic

But rather funny too :D

RougeisSerina
17th Jul 2014, 23:30
toashosly FUNNY :lol:

Metalrocks
18th Jul 2014, 02:54
agree with the spec ops part. she would be capable having them at that stage.
otherwise some small levels or sections would be acceptable too. but not the entire game.

RougeisSerina
18th Jul 2014, 04:19
*smacks* yippe.

daventry
18th Jul 2014, 07:08
Agreed, i dont want ROTTR to be like that Alice in Wonderland Game where Lara is in some Mental Hospital having Delusions and we play those Levels.

The Therapy Trailer was nice, lets not turn ROTTR into a Movie based Game while we play Levels so in Cutscenes Lara somehow feels Stronger Now till she is Cured at the end.

The Island is Over, lets play ROTTR with Lara Croft and the Story of the Game, that doesent have Delusions and it was all a Dream where Sweaty Lara wakes up in the middle of the night with Sam saying are you ok just so Lara can scream and wake up to see Nothing in her bed that the Whole Thing was just a Dream.

RougeisSerina
18th Jul 2014, 07:10
Agreed, i dont want ROTTR to be like that Alice in Wonderland Game where Lara is in some Mental Hospital having Delusions and we play those Levels.

The Therapy Trailer was nice, lets not turn ROTTR into a Movie based Game while we play Levels so in Cutscenes Lara somehow feels Stronger Now till she is Cured at the end.

The Island is Over, lets play ROTTR with Lara Croft and the Story of the Game.

More like Alice in WIzerland :D :lol:

d1n0_xD
18th Jul 2014, 10:47
agree with the spec ops part. she would be capable having them at that stage.
otherwise some small levels or sections would be acceptable too. but not the entire game.

Would be nice, wouldn't it? :D You're playing through a level, and then BAM:

1)either a jump-scare, for example Roth flashes before you

or

2)you see a figure in the distance standing next to some foliage, and then as you're getting closer, just as you realize it looks like Roth, it runs into the forrest (kinda cliche, maybe, but what the heck, I'm sure the devs would have better ideas :D )

Just some minor hallucinations, whether from PTSD or the actual level is inducing it (drugs, substances in the air, maybe enemies release spores that cause hallucination etc.)

Man, I want to play Spec Ops again xD

Metalrocks
18th Jul 2014, 13:51
Would be nice, wouldn't it? :D You're playing through a level, and then BAM:

1)either a jump-scare, for example Roth flashes before you

or

2)you see a figure in the distance standing next to some foliage, and then as you're getting closer, just as you realize it looks like Roth, it runs into the forrest (kinda cliche, maybe, but what the heck, I'm sure the devs would have better ideas :D )

Just some minor hallucinations, whether from PTSD or the actual level is inducing it (drugs, substances in the air, maybe enemies release spores that cause hallucination etc.)

Man, I want to play Spec Ops again xD

that was in max payne 2 as well with him having nightmares when he was sleeping or when he knocked his head hard.
being drugged by the enemy because they want to get infos from lara would be an interesting experience as well. going deep in to laras mind how horrified she really was on the island, seeing her friends die, surviving against the odds, etc.

or she is so desperate to eat something and just eats the mushrooms and this happens. :whistle:
OCihm3030Lw

now you want me to play spec ops as well. really nice details they added in to this game. if they can integrate it as well in to TR how ir affects lara, that would be a very nice touch.

Error96_
19th Jul 2014, 15:21
Some of the Tombs in TR have had the most crazy and surreal things so there might not be a need to make things in Lara's mind. I think if you are doing games in a series to have the Dallas style 'this game was just a daydream' isn't so good.

Gitb97
19th Jul 2014, 17:29
Nope.
I like the idea of a short sequence being like it, but really obvious so we know its happening, like something really trippy. The whole game being in her head however, no thanks. Its a good concept for a book or a movie, just not Tomb Raider

annaclara
23rd Jul 2014, 09:45
yes it will be a great fantasy

Chameleojack
8th Aug 2014, 13:22
Hey guy's I had a thought. Sort of crazy though.

What would you say, if everything we saw in the next game took place in Lara's mind?
I really do mean everything. Locations, enemies, supporting cast.
What would you say, if the main goal was to saw Lara's sanity?

Would that be too crazy? :D

You mean like Silent Hill 2?

Could be a nice addition to it, but maybe a level or two, not the entire game... I can see a couple of scenarios happening:

1) Lara gets knocked out, maybe a bad fall, she wakes up, and the next level is kinda crazy, but then she wakes up, which means it was a dream.

2) Lara start to see unexplained shapes around corners in a blink of an eye, or sth like that.

3) A trippy level similar to Far Cry 3, maybe she was captured and the captor pumped her full of LSD xD

Like I said, could be a nice addition if it were a couple of levels, or some mechanic withing the game, and is explained by story, but not an entire game, no, would be a shame xD

That'd be cool, but Lara's PTSD comes from genociding an island full of sadistic, shipwrecked cultists (who strangely didn't seem starved for female "affection", but I guess that card would be over-played after the first 10 minutes, anyway). The best psychoanalytical metaphors represent broader experiences, which allows the manifestations to appear in more surprising ways. It can still be done in the sequel--shambling silhouttes clawing at her from the shadows of a logically empty tomb...
you know what? I like this idea. If it worked for Arkham Asylum, it can work for TR.

d1n0_xD
8th Aug 2014, 13:48
^ It can work if done right, certainly. Like I said, couple of levels to add variety to gameplay, and it would be a nice addition to the story, both the story the game is telling, and the story why that level is there anyways :)

BridgetFisher
10th Aug 2014, 09:13

This worked in Max Payne, it would give the devs some real freedom to be creative since its all imagination so anything would be possible.