PDA

View Full Version : #27 & Polyalphabetic Ciphers

NightEagle1971
16th Jul 2014, 07:41
I was wondering if anyone else here has noticed all the numbers standing out in this game. In particular, the #27. This game shows this number everywhere. All kinds of combinations, variations, etc. But others as well.

Now, I'm no numerologist, or cryptologist, or scientology or into anything much for that matter. But, I started doing some research after seeing it so often throughout the entire game and it's expansion pack, The Missing Link. I made Steam Guides for anyone interested:

In one of those guides is a reference to the Vigenère Cipher. The actual cipher is there too. Seems to me there's a ton of games doing this lately too. I've been digging deep into several of my steam games and I'm seeing a lot of codes or what-not.

BioShock Infinite has a book in it called, "Ciphers for Little Folks" by Dorothy Kane. Preceeding this, the first room you look for Elizabeth has a chalkboard with a polyalphabet substitution table and an incomplete message. Turns out the book is real though... well sort of. The real name is Dorothy Crain, who was a Kindergarten teacher writing a series on ciphers for kids. Here's a clean and free link:

https://archive.org/details/ciphersforlittle01crai

Anyone here, either fan or staff, that understands this area and might be willing to help me learn to see it better? I'd like to find more free links to learn ciphering rather than having someone else do it for me, if at all possible.

CyberP
16th Jul 2014, 23:18
I'm not convinced there's anything to decipher here.

You are aware the game is set in the year 2027 right? That's why you see 2027 in newspapers and on monitors and such.

NightEagle1971
17th Jul 2014, 00:16
I would agree with you if not for the fact that I've found these numerical recurrences throughout every game that I've played for from Square/Enix, EIDOS Montreal, Valve, Deep Silver, BethesdaSoft, Tripwire and even Digital Leisure (ala Dragon's Lair circa 1983 & Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp circa 1991).

I'm no numerologist, scientologist nor any new-age disciple. I'm merely pointing out the facts trying to figure it out, is all. I've uncovered the number in many games now, but I'm doing this alone, so it's slow. I've noticed the #27 for several years now, and the frequency for which I see this number (and others) is growing in frequency. Here's my list so far:

Here's a few sites that list the number in a ton of movies, TV shows and books:

http://27.chrismore.com/
http://27project.wordpress.com/

Now, several members seem to be into Numerology and whatnot, but I, simply, am not.

NightEagle1971
17th Jul 2014, 01:13
Interestingly... I just found this article:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/4/5471042/eidos-montreal-layoffs-thief

There were 27 employees who went to infinity and beyond.

AdrianShephard
17th Jul 2014, 02:22
Oh boy....:)

NightEagle1971
20th Jul 2014, 01:48
I've been studying that book and I admit... it's amazingly interesting. I never thought of ciphering as interesting until this book. If you take the time and actually peruse that book, you'll start seeing all kinds of patterns in these games. I plan on having some fun trying to learn it.

But, I still don't understand Square/Enix's affixation on #27. I'm willing to ask the big cheeses directly though. Anyone know how to direct me to them?

David Anfossi comes to mind. Any chance you read and/or respond in here or in e-mails?

AdrianShephard
20th Jul 2014, 06:51
I've been studying that book and I admit... it's amazingly interesting. I never thought of ciphering as interesting until this book. If you take the time and actually peruse that book, you'll start seeing all kinds of patterns in these games. I plan on having some fun trying to learn it.

But, I still don't understand Square/Enix's affixation on #27. I'm willing to ask the big cheeses directly though. Anyone know how to direct me to them?

David Anfossi comes to mind. Any chance you read and/or respond in here or in e-mails?

I think the fact that you are finding (or looking for) the #27 in all these places is a coincidence. If the writers actually went through the trouble of putting a secret message or whatever in the game, I'm going to be seriously pissed that they couldn't have used that time to write a better plot.

cousinit
24th Jul 2014, 08:10
I think the simple fact you're seeing is the human mind's fascination with prime numbers. If "the average" (whatever that is...) person is asked to randomly choose, say, 25 digits from their head, the numbers 1, 2,3,and 7 appear more often than the other digits.

I am unaware of any hard science to explain this. My personal favorite reason is the mind likes pattern recognition more than any other activity. Patterns are meant to be played with (i.e. "vibrating" optical illusions & perceived motion drawings) and prime numbers defy that, so they just "seem" more random and get picked.

Speaking of the game's cipher, does anyone have a translation handy? Since it WAS mentioned, and I don't want to spend the next 15 hours to get back to the in-game email that has it, then translate it, I thought asking was a better choice.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jul 2014, 08:46
I am sure I am dyscalculic... :whistle:

neomahakala108
30th Aug 2014, 18:36
i did something like that, a monoalphabetic cipher.

it's easy to break.

http://nm108crypto.appspot.com/

NightEagle1971
2nd Nov 2014, 06:33
I'm quite ignorant (and stupid) with this stuff, but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for a lead.

I recreated my Steam group and my game list for all this. Don't know what spooked me to give up last time, but I'm doing it over and trying to tackle it with a bit more detail this time. Been noticing several other patterns (and what not). Once you go back to old-school gamer tactics (such as "Slow & Sneaky" or "Leave No Stone Unturned"), gamers will realize they're telling a dual-sided story. Exactly what? I don't know just yet... but I will.

The commentaries (with the creative team) is riddled with clues and even a direct challenge being made to any gamer paying attention to the details. Now, I'm not trying to detract ANYTHING from this game. It's the best SP game you can have (imho). The creative team kicked major butt with this product.

Anyways, I'll give the deciphering thingie a whirl. Thanks again. A score of 27x4!

CyberP
2nd Nov 2014, 07:05
Been noticing several other patterns (and what not). Once you go back to old-school gamer tactics (such as "Slow & Sneaky" or "Leave No Stone Unturned"), gamers will realize they're telling a dual-sided story. Exactly what? I don't know just yet... but I will.

:nut:

I recreated my Steam group and my game list for all this. Don't know what spooked me to give up last time, but I'm doing it over and trying to tackle it with a bit more detail this time.

*Puts on Vaas' voice*

What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. There's nothing to find here.

It's the best SP game you can have (imho).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G_erH2JLIf8/UD2kXI3t67I/AAAAAAAAEcE/tcyV82tuQxg/s200/winnie-pooh-think.gif

Apologies for being an absolute cockerel but the temptation got the better of me.

NightEagle1971
3rd Nov 2014, 02:17
Some of us embrace insanity. Helps us cope.

CyberP
3rd Nov 2014, 10:37
Some of us embrace insanity. Helps us cope.

Just play more games, takes your mind off things. Or take the insanity one step further and become a modder :D

NightEagle1971
13th Feb 2015, 18:31
I have no fascination with numbers... and the #27 isn't the only thing repeating. There's other numbers... symbols...

And it isn't science... it's too subtle for the analytical mind to perceive at first. It's an approach outside the conventional. That's why most can't see it and most who do can't understand it. When asked if they are an inside-the-box thinker or an outside-the-box thinker... most choose "outside the box" but fail to realize the single most important aspect of the question... there IS NO BOX.

I WAS going to do a Steam Guide for DXHR (Director's Cut), but it would take too long. And after everything is said and done... there's nothing to be gained from these companies. We're ALWAYS the ones who pay. Not them. And even AFTER we pay for the game, we pay more with less-than-stellar support. So, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, should I?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382710203

At any rate, this is my LAST guide I'm making... AND my last post; as all this has really shown me how pointless this business truly is. And as far as the pattern thingies... I agree to a small extent. As an artist, a leather craftsman and a musician, I see these patterns all the time. I live in them. Maybe that's why I can see them and you cannot. There's distinctive patterns you simply will NOT see until you actually give it an effort. Colleges have done studies on this only to be shut down for "unknown" reasons. Maybe that's why there's no "hard-science" to go around.

Bring forth the blind who have eyes; and the deaf who have ears.