PDA

View Full Version : Is Bloodmoney 2 possible with Glacier 2 Engine?

mcescher1
13th Jul 2014, 16:59
Personally, i am not a programmer and i don't claim to understand the in's and outs of programming games or engines..

but i do know that IOI is using a different engine for the next hitman, the same one they used for absolution, but a different one that they used for bloodmoney and the rest of the installments.

my question is: is it even possible to make a game using a different engine that replicates bloodmoney??

can anyone explain the difference between the 2 engines used (absolution and bloodmoney) in laymans terms?

AdrianShephard
13th Jul 2014, 17:34
Personally, i am not a programmer and i don't claim to understand the in's and outs of programming games or engines..

but i do know that IOI is using a different engine for the next hitman, the same one they used for absolution, but a different one that they used for bloodmoney and the rest of the installments.

my question is: is it even possible to make a game using a different engine that replicates bloodmoney??

can anyone explain the difference between the 2 engines used (absolution and bloodmoney) in laymans terms?

It should be possible, especially since the Glacier engine is developed by IO themselves rather than using a modified version of some other company's engine, say, Unreal Engine 3. Just look at the GTA games...Rockstar makes a new engine for each new game in the series and the end product is not only bigger with better graphics, but also the AI, physics (although the physics could come from other middleware), and draw distances are better than the predecessors.

I'm not sure of the exact differences between the Glacier 1 and 2 but I'm guessing other than the obvious changes (graphics, and of course, BLOOM galore!), there aren't that many since the AI seems more stupid than the previous games and there isn't much else in a Hitman game. Just graphics, AI, and some physics. Simple yet so hard.

So simple answer: The Glacier 2 is a brand new engine written from scratch by IO Interactive so I highly doubt that they will run into any technical problems making a Hitman better than Blood Money, namely Blood Money with a darker atmosphere and the disguise system of Silent Assassin.

mcescher1
14th Jul 2014, 05:01
glacier 2 is the same engine they used for absolution tho.. ?

do you think they made a "glacier 3" engine?

im guessing they would kind of have to for the nextgen consoles and the fact that they claim they are changing the layouts of the levels and are supposed to be turning the game around from absolution...

we haven't heard of any engine changes and my concern is that this means we won't see major changes from absoltion - can they really divert that far away from a linear, instinct, "press square now to punch" - game without changing their programming structure??

just making it harder for me to believe we will be seeing something completely new different and better than the last installment :/

Aybroe
14th Jul 2014, 11:26
IOI spent years making Glacier 2 so I highly doubt seeing the third in quite a while. With some tweaking, Glacier 2 will be a great engine for the new title. Open-worldedness shouldn't affect so much if and when the engine is properly designed and modifiable, which I'm sure it is.

Look how many different games use the Unreal Engine or Valve's Source-engine. We should have nothing to worry about, at least before trailers and some gameplay footage surface. Then we will see how the game will be in reality.

And as a reminder, SA:s, Contracts' and BM's trailers all included shooting and other loud mindless actions, so I'd stare more at the mechanics than the actions of the player in the trailers to come.

Itsrob
14th Jul 2014, 21:42
I highly doubt that they will run into any technical problems making a Hitman better than Blood Money, namely Blood Money with a darker atmosphere and the disguise system of Silent Assassin.

Oh how I wish IO would do this. I've been dying for a dark Hitman game like Contracts for years.

And soundtracks like this really help create the games atmosphere (48:54) http://youtu.be/yBazgcmSQXI?t=48m54s

I hope IO's Jesper Kyd replacement does stuff like that, Absolutions tracks just sounded like sound effects in a loop mostly.

AdrianShephard
14th Jul 2014, 22:09
IO can't go wrong if they have dark villains. My 2 favorite hits in Absolution were the two spookier levels: the "Hawaii vacation" or whatever in the back of the Vixen club and the munitions testing in the Dexter facility. My high point was definitely finding the dead girl stashed behind the strip club though. I really feel like these type of despicable targets are what Hitman is all about. It definitely helps make 47 an anti-hero.

And is it certain that Jesper Kyd isn't returning? Do you know something we don't???? :scratch: :p

Jesper Kyd replacement better be someone that knows how to make a melodious soundtrack that doesn't reuse the same piece over and over (a low point of Blood Money, in my opinion, is the constant loop of the same combat theme).

Itsrob
14th Jul 2014, 22:25
And is it certain that Jesper Kyd isn't returning? Do you know something we don't???? :scratch: :p

I don't know with 100% certainty, but i'm assuming he's not based on this (http://archive.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/60304-jesper-kyd-wont-return-for-hitman-6/page-2#entry1625548)

AdrianShephard
14th Jul 2014, 23:23
I don't know with 100% certainty, but i'm assuming he's not based on this (http://archive.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/60304-jesper-kyd-wont-return-for-hitman-6/page-2#entry1625548)

Damn. Well there goes my hope of a good soundtrack; and with all the walking you have to do in Hitman, an awesome soundtrack is necessary to keep you company. The only other composer I know that can set a mood is Michael McCann. His work on Splinter Cell Double Agent was phenomenal (he really cemented the depressed feel the game was aiming for).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnzsNVPYiiM

I especially love the Iceland theme at 15:24.

BTW, what happened to the Hitman Forums? Why is a post only 1 month old already archived?

Itsrob
15th Jul 2014, 06:05
Damn. Well there goes my hope of a good soundtrack; and with all the walking you have to do in Hitman, an awesome soundtrack is necessary to keep you company.

The thing I loved about Jesper Kyd is he really set the atmosphere\mood of the levels. Take Contracts for example - Sure, the graphics\scenery was pretty dark, but his tracks really maximized the feeling. When I think of the dark feeling of Contracts I almost always think of Kyd.

So yeah, I hope they can find someone who can effect the game in a similar way and really set the tone of the levels with their tracks. I don't mean to bash Absolution again but whenever I think of the soundtrack I really don't think of anything except the main menu track. When I think of the music ingame it felt like it mainly consisted of movie-like sound effects or 10-15 sound bites.

BTW, what happened to the Hitman Forums? Why is a post only 1 month old already archived?

The owner of it decided to basically start over on a completely different (and worse imo) forum software. Most members were against it but that didn't seem to affect the decision. So everything from the old HM forums is now archived and will be completely removed eventually.

I don't go on there much anymore.

gkkiller
15th Jul 2014, 09:57
Michael McCann is awesome. He did the music for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which was awesome.

AdrianShephard
15th Jul 2014, 17:36
Michael McCann is awesome. He did the music for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which was awesome.

I thought Human Revolution was a little to conservative. I can't remember any tracks except the menu theme. Original Deus Ex had some of the best music though.