PDA

View Full Version : Racing activities in RotTR/next games?

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 10:53
So, I was thinking of motorcycle and/or motorboat racing as side-activities in RotTR, next to everything we had in TR2013.

So, we're gonna have these big hubs, right? Like all over the world? Imagine a hub where there are ruins of tombs, main story tomb and couple of other tombs, but also in that hub there's a village of people who are celebrating some kind of holiday(it can be related to some god/artifact Lara's after), and they have all sort of activities there where you can gain money or XP, including racing. There's a makeshift path that you can race on, or a river. Just a little thing you can do, you know how when you press TAB you have a statistic of completion and what you found so far? Relics 2/3, documents 4/6... Now it can be Races won 1/3 :D
You can race against other villagers, or against time, similar to Far Cry 3's supply drop mini-quests:

gyXrraEarzs

Or there can be some adrenaline-pumping setpieces in the main story, you're on a motorbike and there are explosions, jumps, gun fights, similar to Legend but much more epic, like that bridge or other sequences, but with bikes through jungles with jumps, I like jumps :p :D

What do you guys think?

daventry
28th Jun 2014, 11:01
I think People are mistaking Giant Hub Open World like Skyrim with Quests and stuff, its NOT gonna be like that at all.

The Classic Games had Big Hubs that were Bigger then the Trilogy and TR2013, thats what Crystal meant by Globe Trotting and Bigger Hubs.

So Bike Racing like it was in TRL, please no. Just NO

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 11:04
I know what hubs mean, and it could fit just fine. You don't need open-world like Skyrim to have a race. It's just a big level. It all depends on how the hubs are made. And I don't think any of the classics came even close to the size of TR2013's hubs. And TRL's bike racing was kinda flawed, try to think outside of the box, I'm not trying to change your opinion, it just seems you didn't understand me very well.

Rai
28th Jun 2014, 11:09
I would like to see some form of vehicles in the next game, especially if they make it so you can travel from hub to hub without using fast travel even if the paths are relatively linear. As you say, a makeshift path that's separate from the SP story path
However, I wasn't keen on the Legend motorcycle sequences so wouldn't really like to see a return to them/similar. Also, races don't appeal to me either, sorry. Who would you be racing against in the SP mode?

So that I'm not a complete stick in the mud, I suppose this could work as an MP mode for those still interested in MP. It beats endless shoot outs.

Actually, this means I've put myself in a corner when voting on the poll as there isn't a 'Only in MP' option. :p

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 11:15
Well, you can race against other villagers, or you can have a race against time, similar to Far Cry 3's supply drops mini-quests.

gyXrraEarzs

I'll add this video to the OP.

Also, I like the idea of using vehicles instead of fast-travel, but it all depends on how many hubs are in one location, since there isn't just one island anymore...

daventry
28th Jun 2014, 11:24
Thats Horrible, no thank you

Rai
28th Jun 2014, 11:26
Also, I like the idea of using vehicles instead of fast-travel, but it all depends on how many hubs are in one location, since there isn't just one island anymore...
This is true actually. Unless the hubs are really big, in which case a vehicle could be needed to get around. Not all hubs, mind you, I'm up for variable sizes.

daventry
28th Jun 2014, 11:31
The Hubs in the Classics were ok, but short at most places, plus the Vehicles were very clunky

Tihocan
28th Jun 2014, 13:37
The only reason I'd want to see a vehicle in the game is perhaps, like in TR2013 with the dual pistols, the end sequence gives us a sneak peek of the iconic motorcycle. Say, she's in the middle of all-hell's-about-to-break-loose and she nabs a bike for the getaway.
No shootin', just ridin'.
Would make for some great death scenes ;)

a_big_house
28th Jun 2014, 13:38
I'm voting yes, side activity only. I'd also like to be able to travel between hubs via bike/jeep :D

Metalrocks
28th Jun 2014, 15:25
driving around in your own time, yes, but racing, hell no.

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 18:14
Can you guys elaborate on why do you not want racing? Because I'm seeing some heavy NOs without BECAUSEs and I'm interested xD

pidipidi39
28th Jun 2014, 18:50
Hell naw.
I never liked races. In any game.

IvanaKC
28th Jun 2014, 20:53
Can you guys elaborate on why do you not want racing? Because I'm seeing some heavy NOs without BECAUSEs and I'm interested xD

Okay then, I'll try to explain why I'm against races in TR. :)

Lara is not traveling around the world to get attention and races would take that away from her. IMO, Lara is supposed to stay as anonymous as possible, sneaking around and minding her own business. I can't imagine what kind of business would she have with people she needs to race against. Also, I play TR because there used to be no need for too much interaction with humans (except the new game, but I'm not a big fan of the new game). If I wanted a race, I would take Need for Speed or GTA or something. ;)

However, driving to escape danger isn't a bad idea, but I believe we had something similar in TRL and TRU. Camera was terrible and I wish to never see Lara driving a vehicle in-game again.

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 21:05
Like I said, it would be an optional thing to do, and it doesn't have to be with people, it could be something like time-trial, in order to get some money or xp, or whatever you need to collect in the game :) Like traversing a dangerous mountain path, full of jumps and cool stuff on a cross bike :) It doesn't even have to be a race, but traversing a path with vehicles, sth like Underworld, but not as clunky and much more fun :)

a_big_house
28th Jun 2014, 21:15
What if we end up in snowy mountains and there just happens to be a snowmobile right there? :D It's a classic(ish) vehicle after all...

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 21:21
I just love you, a big house :D

a_big_house
28th Jun 2014, 21:35
Oh my *blushes* :flowers:

:D

IvanaKC
28th Jun 2014, 22:32
Like I said, it would be an optional thing to do, and it doesn't have to be with people, it could be something like time-trial, in order to get some money or xp, or whatever you need to collect in the game :) Like traversing a dangerous mountain path, full of jumps and cool stuff on a cross bike :) It doesn't even have to be a race, but traversing a path with vehicles, sth like Underworld, but not as clunky and much more fun :)

Let's put it like this then: if I need to collect xp or money, that means that eventually if I want to make a 100% out of a game, I would have to play it. So, no, I do not even want it as optional. ;)

a_big_house
28th Jun 2014, 23:04
^ But... But...
http://www.wikiraider.com/images/thumb/7/74/Tr2_snowmobile.PNG/225px-Tr2_snowmobile.PNG

NSW_pride
29th Jun 2014, 04:32
Racing in TR, nah.

I would like to see a vehicle for driving around hubs, similar to Underworld. And I would like to vehicle action sequences, just don't do them like in Legend.

Tihocan
29th Jun 2014, 08:31
I'd put this in the same vein as "Lara finds an abandoned PS1 on Yamatai and plays the first level of Tomb Raider 1996 - 100xp"

IvanaKC
29th Jun 2014, 08:35
^ But... But...
http://www.wikiraider.com/images/thumb/7/74/Tr2_snowmobile.PNG/225px-Tr2_snowmobile.PNG

Nope, because CD doesn't know how to handle camera when driving vehicles yet. In a few years, maybe. Right now, no. First I want to see a good camera control when Lara is just running around.

I'd put this in the same vein as "Lara finds an abandoned PS1 on Yamatai and plays the first level of Tomb Raider 1996 - 100xp"

:lol:

Error96_
29th Jun 2014, 22:09
I like the vehicle level sections like the bike level sections in TRL or even better driving snowmobiles in TR2.

I would like to see vehicle sections in connecting hubs but not within the hubs themselves and that you only had to do them once not every time you fast travelled. As for races, I wouldn't mind if it was say something like a boat that went along in parallel as part of the story or enemies you had to shoot but wouldn't want a more direct head to head. A time trial would only be good if it were a quad bike in the manor rather than part of the main game

namitokiwa
30th Jun 2014, 18:24
I hope there could be some scenes that Lara fights against enemies like this (ofcourse replace QTE with fighting combat system), start at 8:26:
http://youtu.be/MbrRFbB_fZM

annaclara
23rd Jul 2014, 09:38
these kinds of the games are really fun to play

ActionHero
26th Jul 2014, 00:01
I personally hate vehicle sections in games, and I dread games where it's required. If it's not obligatory, maybe in DLC or something, I don't really care what they do.. but if it's required to get through the game or to get 100%, that would bother me a bit.

CroftManiac
29th Jul 2014, 10:12
It doesn't have to be a bike or a jeep . It could be a horse!! I think it would be cool seeing Lara riding a horse just like in the tomb raider ascension trailer!!