PDA

View Full Version : BID - Bring In Danny

Rai
28th Jun 2014, 10:05
pdwunx_Danny.png

So, Danny is a new character introduced in the latest Comics series. He appeared in Issue 3 and in Issue 5. Should he live, I think he'd make a welcome addition to the game/s. There's potential there for him to fill a few roles:

He could be a friend of Lara's, a little like Jean Yves, Alister, Zip, Reyes or Jonah, only appearing in cut-scenes, helping Lara, but not central to the plot.

He could turn out to be a rival to Lara, but not an enemy in his own right. Like Kurtis or perhaps a slightly more enemy-ish role a la Pierre Du Pont.

He could be a love interest (cutscenes/flashbacks only, not too often, imo)

He could have a bigger rival role in a co-op role or a smaller, playable character role in a section or two, similar to Kurtis.

I like him so far. There's a mysterious quality to him and as someone who worked for Lara's father, he could be a link to her dad via conversations/stories that she won't get now from Roth.

What do we know about him?

Not much! :p.
He helped Lara escape the cultists in Issue 3, claiming to be a friend 'of sorts'
He worked for her father and has been following her
He thinks Lara is the best chance of stopping the cultists
And that's it. So little to go on, yet, imo, he's interesting and as far as the comics go, there's still a question mark over his trustworthy-ness.

What do you think Yay or Nay?

daventry
28th Jun 2014, 10:13
Please dont mention Zip and Alister, they were Pointless Characters that would make him just as Annoying as they are, but sure he can be in ROTTR and it would be Perfect to make Him a Love Interest to Lara instead of Sam.

I also need More Info on the guy, since ive Never read any of the TR Comics before.

Oh and will you be making the same Poll on TRF

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 10:20
Yeah, can you put spoiler tags and give us some more info, what's been happening with so far? Then I can make a decision, although I'm leaning towards liking him :p

Rai
28th Jun 2014, 10:35
Please dont mention Zip and Alister, they were Pointless Characters that would make him just as Annoying as they are, but sure he can be in ROTTR and it would be Perfect to make Him a Love Interest to Lara instead of Sam.

I also need More Info on the guy, since ive Never read any of the TR Comics before.

Oh and will you be making the same Poll on TRF

I only mentioned A&Z as examples. They do exist in the franchise as friends. I wouldn't want to see any character be constantly in Lara's ear like in Legend again, but I'm not against cutscene supporting roles.

And yeah, I think there's room for BID on TRF.

Yeah, can you put spoiler tags and give us some more info, what's been happening with so far? Then I can make a decision, although I'm leaning towards liking him :p

I've added spoiler tags around what little we do know.

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 11:01
Ok, I voted that I would like him as friend/rival in cutscenes. He seems cool and good-looking :p I seriously do not want co-op in this game, or other playable characters other than Lara.

IRON LOBSTER
28th Jun 2014, 11:32
No.

Rai
28th Jun 2014, 11:34
No.

Spoilsport! :p

Why, no?

IRON LOBSTER
28th Jun 2014, 11:42
...He's Riley from Buffy season 4.

"Hey I'm boring, handsome white guy with skills!"

And you people hate Sam...

The comics were good until they went back to you-know-where and started talking about bringing back you-know-who.

REPETITION!!!

All the Lara and Sam back story was the best part. A 12 issue miniseries on that would have been awesome chips.

Issues 7-12 do sound really good though.

Metalrocks
28th Jun 2014, 12:55
have to know him better first before i make any decision. he is interesting and could be a nice addition to the story of lara but for now, i rather wait and see what happens with him. for all we know he could be a backstabbing guy who lies to lara to get close to something.

Tihocan
28th Jun 2014, 13:29
I laughed. There's a left-field-reference-I-understood if I ever saw one.

Meh, why not. If Rhianna can make him interesting then sure, put him in there.
Personally, the only character in Tomb Raider that should be playable is Lara.

Please dont mention Zip and Alister, they were Pointless Characters...
Am I the only person in the world that actually enjoyed the banter between these characters!?

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 13:32
Am I the only person in the world that actually enjoyed the banter between these characters!?

No, you're not :) I enjoyed it too, missed it in Underworld ^^ Alistair sarcastically responding in that England level to every story of King Arthur were one of my favourite moments :3

dark7angel
28th Jun 2014, 13:43
I voted mmmmmaybe... I want to see how things play out in the comics before making up my mind. :)

pidipidi39
28th Jun 2014, 15:58
Mmmmmmaybe.
I mean, I agree with Metalrocks and Dark7angel: I have to get to know him better before I can make any decision. :)
Buuuuuut, He has potential IMO.

I actually loved Zip and Alister. They've never been annoying for me; but I guess it's just a matter of liking. Some people prefer Lara to be alone, while I loved to have those two in my ear :D

Metalrocks
28th Jun 2014, 16:03
Mmmmmmaybe.
I mean, I agree with Metalrocks and Dark7angel: I have to get to know him better before I can make any decision. :)
Buuuuuut, He has potential IMO.

I actually loved Zip and Alister. They've never been annoying for me; but I guess it's just a matter of liking. Some people prefer Lara to be alone, while I loved to have those two in my ear :D

these 2 were pretty funny. even when at times in legend they made too many remarks like when lara was jumping over the bridge. that was really unnecessary.

daventry
28th Jun 2014, 16:10
Is there a full view of Danny if someone can post it please

Thetford
28th Jun 2014, 20:25
pdwunx_Danny.png

Am I the only one who saw this, and thought of this?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2010/06/fry_660.jpg

daventry
28th Jun 2014, 20:32
Looks like he finally grew up :p

a_big_house
28th Jun 2014, 20:36

Nope! In issue 5, his jacket is fully red too :lol:

GLA
28th Jun 2014, 20:38
I need to see more to get a clearer idea of what he's all about.

Either way, I couldn't/wouldn't want to see him as more than a friend/mentor type of character for Lara (or even an enemy :cool:;)). As he has links with Lara's dad, that could be interesting -- but not as a love interest: if he worked for Lara's dad/knew him, then it would feel strange to then have him as a romantic partner. My head is saying - uncle-y type figure, rather than dinner & dates :D

a_big_house
28th Jun 2014, 20:45
It might also be worth noting that he is injured (not sure to what extent). He can fire a gun, but he can't get up off the floor or fight his way out of the grasp of a woman in a costume :D

Driber
28th Jun 2014, 21:55
I need to see more to get a clearer idea of what he's all about.

Either way, I couldn't/wouldn't want to see him as more than a friend/mentor type of character for Lara (or even an enemy :cool:;)). As he has links with Lara's dad, that could be interesting -- but not as a love interest: if he worked for Lara's dad/knew him, then it would feel strange to then have him as a romantic partner. My head is saying - uncle-y type figure, rather than dinner & dates :D

Let me guess, you're a Lara and Sam shipper, aren't you :p

GLA
28th Jun 2014, 23:05
Maybe I am a little bit :lol: I think Lara/Sam is quite a cute pairing and I like what it has done in a wider sense (I love how its added to discussion of sexuality/gender and so on... I don't want to go off on a tangent here :o), but I don't think the games will explicitly pair Lara off with anyone, instead leaving things beyond tomb raiding matters open for interpretation.

Although, if Lara was to be romantically linked to Danny, that would perhaps generate the same kind of debate that Lara/Sam topics go into, with the role of Danny being scrutinized, which would be interesting!

Driber
29th Jun 2014, 08:34
Maybe I am a little bit :lol:

I knew it. Why else would you try to place a barrier between shipping the two that doesn't make any sense. I bet that if Sam worked for Lara's dad, you wouldn't give it another thought :p

Although, if Lara was to be romantically linked to Danny, that would perhaps generate the same kind of debate that Lara/Sam topics go into, with the role of Danny being scrutinized, which would be interesting!

I highly doubt that. There would be nothing controversial about it. There would be no agendas to push. And pairing a man and a woman isn't as "sexy" as paring two young hot women, lol.

GLA
29th Jun 2014, 09:18
I knew it. Why else would you try to place a barrier between shipping the two that doesn't make any sense. I bet that if Sam worked for Lara's dad, you wouldn't give it another thought :p

I highly doubt that. There would be nothing controversial about it. There would be no agendas to push. And pairing a man and a woman isn't as "sexy" as paring two young hot women, lol.

No, I would be against it if Sam were another old associate of Lara's family, because it would be the same principle. I reckon if anyone, whoever it may be, was paired with Lara, it would create some controversy, just because its Lara Croft and its what happens ;)

One thing that I would say if Lara/Danny were to become a 'ship' (I would read the fics so if anyone feels creative...!) would be that it would face the same issue that lara/sam has experienced to an extent. So far in the comics, Danny has been to Lara what Lara is to Sam. He appears when Lara is in trouble and helps her out, which is not unlike the whole Lara/Sam friendship, the difference so far being that Lara hasn't asked him to, and isn't shrieking 'Daaaaaannnnnnnyyyyyy!' when she's in distress :D

I want to see how Danny evolves in the storyline, from protector-type of character to... whatever he becomes. However, I hope he doesn't become Roth mk2, telling Lara that she's a Croft and such, simply because it has been touched on already, and I'd like to see something a bit different.

Driber
29th Jun 2014, 09:28
lol, I guess it wouldn't be much different: "Saaaaaaaaaam" or "Daaaaaaaaaaan" :D

Anyway, the being associated to Roth thing I don't see as anything standing in the way of Lara having romantic feelings towards him. Especially if he's taking on a protective role. I argued the same thing about the possibility of a LaraxRoth ship. People fall in love with their protectors all the time.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a shipper myself. AT ALL. But I do think that people who ship are often very biased and apply double standards :whistle:

And yeah, some people will dislike the Danny shipping. Same as with Kurtis in the past. But I'm sure it will be nothing in comparison to the LxS thing :p

IRON LOBSTER
29th Jun 2014, 09:58

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2010/06/fry_660.jpg

Danny is 'Fry-ley'.

IvanaKC
29th Jun 2014, 10:58
It's not like I can't google who is Danny, but at this point, I really don't care who he is. I became quite annoyed by the fact that just playing games isn't enough to know the whole story. I don't want to read about the plot, I want to play it! :mad:

Tihocan
29th Jun 2014, 13:04
Let me guess, you're a Lara and Sam shipper, aren't you :p

Every time I see MissBrandy (http://forums.eidosgames.com/member.php?u=181310)'s sig, my brain heads that way too...

RybatGrimes
29th Jun 2014, 19:02
I'd love to see him brought into the games as a full supporting character. I think he's interesting enough to have his story expanded upon. But for love a interest.. eh? I don't mind either way, same with Lara/Sam ship, I like it a little, but I'm indifferent as to if it becomes canon or not. :p

ARaider
27th Jul 2014, 06:04
lol, I guess it wouldn't be much different: "Saaaaaaaaaam" or "Daaaaaaaaaaan" :D

Anyway, the being associated to Roth thing I don't see as anything standing in the way of Lara having romantic feelings towards him. Especially if he's taking on a protective role. I argued the same thing about the possibility of a LaraxRoth ship. People fall in love with their protectors all the time.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a shipper myself. AT ALL. But I do think that people who ship are often very biased and apply double standards :whistle:

And yeah, some people will dislike the Danny shipping. Same as with Kurtis in the past. But I'm sure it will be nothing in comparison to the LxS thing :p

Lol I don't ship anybody! :p
And as you say it would be nothing compared to LaraxSam, that has gotten quite big. :D
Hmmm... I don't think I like that idea of danny becoming anything in the game. I would rather see Lara and Sam together than Lara and Danny. :p
LaraxRoth :lol: I see him more as a sort of father figure, but maybe that's just me.:D

Metalrocks
27th Jul 2014, 11:39
well, now we can clearly forget him since he is in million of pieces. i knew he would be a backstabber. :p

Rai
27th Jul 2014, 12:53
well, now we can clearly forget him since he is in million of pieces. i knew he would be a backstabber. :p

Such a shame. I'm honestly a teeny bit gutted, even if this started as a fun alternative to Sam. :( :p

Metalrocks
27th Jul 2014, 14:54
Such a shame. I'm honestly a teeny bit gutted, even if this started as a fun alternative to Sam. :( :p

this indeed would have been an interesting direction. but well, maybe he will be mentioned in the game. under what ever circumstances he might provoked to be thought of.

Driber
27th Jul 2014, 19:38
And as you say it would be nothing compared to LaraxSam, that has gotten quite big.

It's not really all that big. And the amount of shippers wasn't even what I was talking about anyway. My point was that unlike LaraxSam, there would be nothing controversial about LaraxDanny.

Hmmm... I don't think I like that idea of danny becoming anything in the game. I would rather see Lara and Sam together than Lara and Danny. :p

Danny isn't going to become anything in the game...

r0yXqU-w9U0

:p

LaraxRoth :lol:

What are you, an ageist? :p

ARaider
27th Jul 2014, 20:40
It's not really all that big. And the amount of shippers wasn't even what I was talking about anyway. My point was that unlike LaraxSam, there would be nothing controversial about LaraxDanny.

Sorry, I think I misreaded it.:D

Danny isn't going to become anything in the game...
that's what I was trying to say, I just didn't explained it that well.:p

r0yXqU-w9U0

Is he really dead? Lol didn't expect that.:)

What are you, an ageist? :p
YESS KILL ALL THE OLDER PEOPLE!!!!!:lol::lol:

Rai
27th Jul 2014, 21:38
Well, they could always mention him/have him in flashbacks/ghost/zombie/dream/his death was a massive illusion.

[/reaching]

"He's dead Jim, but not as we know it."

Metalrocks
28th Jul 2014, 01:50
:lol: at the video.
good old star trek. yes, i think he is very dead, unless cerberus comes along :nut:

IRON LOBSTER
30th Jul 2014, 12:47
Just read issue #6

The dream is dead lol.

*Drinking tea made from the tears of Dany fans*

Sam rules - HAIL TO OUR SUN QUEEN FELLOW JAFFA CAKES!!!

Driber
30th Jul 2014, 13:07
*Mental note: IRON LOBSTER is okay with having his nose rubbed in when Sam dies.

IRON LOBSTER
30th Jul 2014, 14:54
I invite you all to come at me if this happens bros.

Rai
30th Jul 2014, 15:28
Quite frankly comparing Sam to a Jaffa Cake is insulting. A, You can never get enough of Jaffa Cakes and B, they're useful in a fight: leave a plate of them in sight, wait patiently for your enemies to swarm around said plate, light a flame arrow and set fire to the barrels of dynamite conveniently left around the site, and also for good measure the lanterns. Job well done. :D

Unfortunately, the Jaffa Cakes will be sacrificed for said cause....but.....oh SAAAAM!

ARaider
30th Jul 2014, 18:42
Quite frankly comparing Sam to a Jaffa Cake is insulting. A, You can never get enough of Jaffa Cakes and B, they're useful in a fight: leave a plate of them in sight, wait patiently for your enemies to swarm around said plate, light a flame arrow and set fire to the barrels of dynamite conveniently left around the site, and also for good measure the lanterns. Job well done. :D
:lol:
Well Sam could help Lara in a fight. Sam could be a living shield for Lara.;):p
No, I like Sam.:p

What if we replace Sam for a Jaffa Cake in TR2013?;)
Lara:JAAAFFFFAAAAA!!
Lara: I need to save Jafa!
Lara: Jaffa I'm going to get you out of there, just hang on!

FIRE RITUAL
Mathias: THIS IS THE MOMENT WE WAITED FOR! *sets Jaffa on fire*
Lara: Jaffa look at me!
*wind blows the fire out*
Mathias: So this is the real Sugar Queen...

RANDOM
Lara: Oh Jaffa you taste soooo good!!
What if that^ would be Sam..... weird.:p
Lara: Oh Sam you taste soooo good!!:lol:

BridgetFisher
1st Aug 2014, 20:43
A new character from the comic series that is exciting. It would be fun if Tomb Raider did what Resident Evil did with different chapters and storylines for diff characters like RE 6 did. Romantic partner possibly with lots of romantic tension as a possible love interest??? Very dramatic, and sounds very exciting. Id rather less new characters than too many, in the last game there were so many I couldnt keep track of them except Sam. Id rather a smaller group of characters to get to know than the whole group and bunch from the last Tomb Raider, it was just to many people. Made me feel less like their friends and more like their the mutliculture pals from their look, haha.

IRON LOBSTER
3rd Aug 2014, 20:51
Jaffa cake on fire screaming "HELP MEEEE!!"

I'm dying lol!