PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: Ten Thousand Immortals (Novel)

RybatGrimes
25th Jun 2014, 23:37
Haunted by what she was forced to do in order to survive her first adventure, Lara Croft wants only to put her horrifying ordeal on Yamatai island in the past. Her modest wish shatters as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose. Desperate for a remedy, Lara searches for anything that could help Sam. A wisp of hope arising from a myth gives Lara purpose: the story of an ancient and mysterious artifact that could heal her dying friend, and possibly help explain the supernatural events she witnessed on Yamatai.

But Lara is not alone in her pursuit of the treasure. A nefarious magnate, a shadow society, and lethal henchmen will stop at nothing to exploit the powerful relic for their own ends. The hunt drives Lara across the globe, through a twisted web of conspiracy, suspicious contacts, and life-or-death intrigue, as she seeks salvation for her friend and the truth behind the legendary talisman.

Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals broadens the world and continues the storyline that was introduced in the recent Tomb Raider video game.

Tied-in to the best-selling Tomb Raider game launch of March 2013, the novel picks up Lara’s journey immediately following the game’s ending, and will become canon within the modern “reboot” timeline.

Written by Dan Abnett, a bestselling British novelist and comic book writer.

Storyline written in conjunction with the game developers at Crystal Dynamics.

Pre-Order (http://www.bradygames.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=139971)

a_big_house
25th Jun 2014, 23:46
I'm curious so know where this fits in with the comic... Other than that... Yaaaay

RybatGrimes
25th Jun 2014, 23:48
I'm curious as to why they made this about sam... YET AGAIN.

a_big_house
25th Jun 2014, 23:50
:lol:

Rai
25th Jun 2014, 23:51
I have just two words: Sam again? :rolleyes: The actual adventure sounds quite good though. I guess this is set before the comics?

I swear that Sam is just an attention seeking ****. All Lara wants to do is study, research, travel to historical sites and she comes along and ruins it all to get attention doing whatever it takes. If I were Lara I'd just say **** it you want to get kidnapped or poisoned again, you do that, I'm off on a proper adventure http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/ohno.gif.

I am curious though over what Sam could have overdosed on to need a magical artefact to save her when doctors can't.

a_big_house
25th Jun 2014, 23:56
Well... I guess it does say 'immediately' so, probably... At least we know Sam can still die in the comics :D

Treeble
25th Jun 2014, 23:58
^^ Hard to tell, especially when both claim to tie-in with the game lol.

Still, it seems to be a solid launch date this time around. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

EDIT/
BradyGames finally has something about it on their site: http://www.bradygames.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=139971

CakeLuv
26th Jun 2014, 00:21
I have just two words: Sam again? :rolleyes: The actual adventure sounds quite good though. I guess this is set before the comics?

I swear that Sam is just an attention seeking ****. All Lara wants to do is study, research, travel to historical sites and she comes along and ruins it all to get attention doing whatever it takes. If I were Lara I'd just say **** it you want to get kidnapped or poisoned again, you do that, I'm off on a proper adventure http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/ohno.gif.

I am curious though over what Sam could have overdosed on to need a magical artefact to save her when doctors can't.

Uuuuuuu gurl, werk that sass, yaaaas

Rai
26th Jun 2014, 00:23
Well, the comics are set six weeks after the events of Yamatai, so I guess that gives enough time for the events of the book to happen. Presuming the novel doesn't contradict anything that happens in the comics as they're both supposed to be 'cannon'. I suppose that that time frame would also give this cult in the comics time to hear about the events on Yamatai (Mathias' death) and to set everything up to resurrect him. I'm not saying the novel and comic are tied, just that the two separate stories can co-exist within the time frames.

Tihocan
26th Jun 2014, 00:51
as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose.

Ok, what? That's one the weakest plot centres I've ever heard, to be honest.

d1n0_xD
26th Jun 2014, 05:51
Hmm, I love video-game novels, I read Halo: Fall of Reach and Bioshock: Rapture, damn sure I'm gonna pick this up :D

Chocolate_shake
26th Jun 2014, 07:41
Not keen on seeing Samsel in distress again but if you take that angle out , the story is pretty reminiscent of classic TR's - Lara hopping around the globe for an artifact . So I am definitely excited .

a_big_house
26th Jun 2014, 08:52
Another important question is; is it a picture book? :D

Ellie92
26th Jun 2014, 09:04
I don't really understand when this happens. After TR9? What about the comics? O_o
If it happens before the comics, it is kinda boring or not? I mean, we know Sam's not gonna die in the book anyway then.

pidipidi39
26th Jun 2014, 13:33
The premise seems good but... just two things:

1)Dear Lord, I'm getting really sick of Sam :rolleyes: . Not of the character itself, but of the fact that she's always Princess Peach.
2)I'm not sure wheter making all of these (the comics and the book) canon is a good idea or not. I mean, if everything that happens in the comics and in the novel will be explained through flashbacks at the beginning of ROTTR then it's okay, but if not... I don't think the casual player is going to read the comics and the novel, and so he/she may be really confused.

d1n0_xD
26th Jun 2014, 13:44
^ I think the devs are aware of that, so there should be no confusion when the game comes out...

pomeranianpuppy
26th Jun 2014, 16:15
as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose.

Well if she will listen to Britney on repeat...

LOZuxwVk7TU
;)

Driber
26th Jun 2014, 16:42
2)I'm not sure wheter making all of these (the comics and the book) canon is a good idea or not. I mean, if everything that happens in the comics and in the novel will be explained through flashbacks at the beginning of ROTTR then it's okay, but if not... I don't think the casual player is going to read the comics and the novel, and so he/she may be really confused.

There's probably no need to include a flashback of all these little mini adventures from the comics and novels into the next game. They seem to be 'stand-alone' for the most part, thus irrelevant to the main story of the games.

(I myself only consider the games as canon anyway, so I don't have any of these problems to begin with :p)

Telekill
26th Jun 2014, 17:33
Nice. I always enjoy reading a good adventure. Thanks for the heads up.

Amazon lists details of 400 pages with an Oct 20th release.

_Ninja_
26th Jun 2014, 18:34
Her modest wish shatters as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam...

Am I dreaming? Because this can't be real, it has to be someone's joke. A parody of Tomb Raider where the entire franchise has been turned into a "Sam & Lara adventure" or more accurately "Lara saves the damsel again and again" adventure. A children's cartoon where the same plot plays out every episode for laughs. Except it's not funny any more.

Why? Why....? I'm seriously worried for the sequel now. Because how can supposedly competent writers make the franchise a parody of itself and be dead serious about it.

I better not see Sam again because I'm officially sick of this.

d1n0_xD
26th Jun 2014, 18:38
^ You do realize this is just a novel and not a game? The poor writer didn't know what to write so he wrote about Lara and Sam, loosely based on the previous game...

a_big_house
26th Jun 2014, 18:40
^ That is a good point, this is by two brand new writers, so perhaps they're just sticking to common ground to avoid treading on a landmine

_Ninja_
26th Jun 2014, 18:45
^ You do realize this is just a novel and not a game? The poor writer didn't know what to write so he wrote about Lara and Sam, loosely based on the previous game...

I hope so. I hope this is forgotten and never mentioned again. Because this is the canon lore of the franchise now.

Saving Sam, the first three adventures of Lara Croft - this is what will be on Lara's wiki page and so on.

^ That is a good point, this is by two brand new writers, so perhaps they're just sticking to common ground to avoid treading on a landmine

But how bad of a writer do you have to be to stick to rehashing the damsel in distress plot?

d1n0_xD
26th Jun 2014, 18:52
But how bad of a writer do you have to be to stick to rehashing the damsel in distress plot?

Damsel in distress is a popular plot-device... Once you look at it as a novel, it makes perfect sense... Now, I know most people who are going to read this are gamers AND TR fans, but maybe, just maybe, someone will pick up this book while going through a book store and love it. The thing is, I don't think the writer is writing this book to cater to the fans, he wants to make money, he know the story loosely and he's doing his own thing with it. Even if it is canon, like Driber said, games are what matters, and I don't think CD will be silly enough to make the game have something to do with the novel, since most gamers won't read the book, so they won't know what's happening. this is just a fun little thing to go over to shorten our wait for the game, IMO.

dark7angel
26th Jun 2014, 18:55
OMG! SAM AGAIN!!!! This is getting ridiculous now! -_-

a_big_house
26th Jun 2014, 18:57

I don't know, I've never heard of the guy :lol:

I'll likely get the book but whether or not I finish it is a different matter, I'm about half way through 4 different books with no intent to finish any of them :D

daventry
26th Jun 2014, 18:57
OMG! SAM AGAIN!!!! This is getting ridiculous now! -_-

:lol::lol: Yes Praise Sam, she will be the Point Star of the Franchise now. :lol::lol:

Rai
26th Jun 2014, 19:02
I'll just quote myself from TRF when the subject of Sam again came up:

I think both Gail and the novel's author must be restricted, both are (asaik) in contact with CD. CD are writing the games, the games being the 'Main' story with Lara's main adventures, so anything the novel or comics have to offer can't be too grand in scale story-wise, even with both remaining canon. RoTTR is meant to be Lara's first big adventure since Yamtai, so the comic and novel stories are mini-adventures in comparison. So the material the writers have to work on in regards to the rebooted universe is limited. New adventures unrelated to Yamatai can happen introducing new characters, such as Danny, but further to that 'outside the games' stories can't contradict anything the games story have.

Though I have to agree, the Samsel in distress thing is getting old already. She's becoming a liability. Lara needs to get rid asap so she can gain freedom. It'll help her move on finally. No therapy needed .

Btw, thanks chocolate for Samsel in distress :p

pidipidi39
26th Jun 2014, 19:28
^ I think the devs are aware of that, so there should be no confusion when the game comes out...
Let's hope so.

There's probably no need to include a flashback of all these little mini adventures from the comics and novels into the next game. They seem to be 'stand-alone' for the most part, thus irrelevant to the main story of the games.

(I myself only consider the games as canon anyway, so I don't have any of these problems to begin with :p)
I don't know how 'stand-alone' they are, considering that to understand the comics you should have played the reboot.
But if you mean that the tale they're telling will come to an end in the comics themselves, then yeah, it would be the best :)

Being TR a videogames franchise I understand that you only consider the games as canon, but it seems like CD is not going for that route.

I think that if you don't have a good plot you may just as well not write a novel. But I'm not saying the novel will be surely bad, it may be surprisingly good. Let's wait and see :)

Not bad, but of ideas, yes.

Driber
26th Jun 2014, 22:06
I don't know how 'stand-alone' they are, considering that to understand the comics you should have played the reboot.
But if you mean that the tale they're telling will come to an end in the comics themselves, then yeah, it would be the best :)

Perhaps 'stand-alone' was a confusing phrase to use here. What I meant was that the comics should be seen as little mini-adventures that are not required reading to make sense of the main story as is told in the official games. Like said by someone else earlier - they are fun 'fillers' to keep the fans occupied while they wait for the release of the next installment in the series.

So whatever happens in the comics/novels/whathaveyou will not need to be re-told in the games.

Being TR a videogames franchise I understand that you only consider the games as canon, but it seems like CD is not going for that route.

What do you mean, exactly?

To me it doesn't really matter what CD (or any other game dev for that matter) proclaims to be canon. If CD wants to call the comics canon so that the publisher can sell more copies, fine with me. But that is not going to change my mind on whether I consider these comics as canon (or in other words - important) to Lara's main story as told through the official games.

If I can play the games without needing any of these comics and novels (i.e. the story in the games hold up on their own) then IMO it would be simply irrelevant to consider said comics and novels as canon or not.

After all, wasn't The Beginning considered canon as well? And how many of us really needed that little story to make sense of TR9? ;)

pidipidi39
26th Jun 2014, 23:22
What do you mean, exactly?

To me it doesn't really matter what CD (or any other game dev for that matter) proclaims to be canon. If CD wants to call the comics canon so that the publisher can sell more copies, fine with me. But that is not going to change my mind on whether I consider these comics as canon (or in other words - important) to Lara's main story as told through the official games.

I think you misunderstood me (or it's very likely that I explained myself badly :p). I didn't say that since CD considers the comics canon you must too; what I said is that they (probably) consider said comics canon. That being said, you may consider them canon just as well as you may not.

If I can play the games without needing any of these comics and novels (i.e. the story in the games hold up on their own) then IMO it would be simply irrelevant to consider said comics and novels as canon or not.
In that case, absolutely.

After all, wasn't The Beginning considered canon as well? And how many of us really needed that little story to make sense of TR9? ;)
I didn't read The Beginning and I still understood everything in the reboot, so I guess you have a point :D

Tihocan
27th Jun 2014, 02:13
... The poor writer didn't know what to write...

That's no excuse, really.

"I'm going to make a new product!"
"Awesome, what is it?"
"I don't know yet, but it will be a thing!"

You either have a concept in your head to write about, or you're just finding a reason to make money or be part of someone else's work.

RybatGrimes
27th Jun 2014, 02:59
But we don't know how much creative freedom they have with these projects since they are canon in CD's universe, CD could present to them a guideline of what they want from the story, what they want to happen and so on.

pidipidi39
27th Jun 2014, 03:00
You either have a concept in your head to write about, or you're just finding a reason to make money or be part of someone else's work.
This. :thumb:

But we don't know how much creative freedom they have with these projects since they are canon in CD's universe, CD could present to them a guideline of what they want from the story, what they want to happen and so on.
But also this.

I'm confused :p

NoSubmission
27th Jun 2014, 03:27
Rise of the tomb raider plot right there OP.

d1n0_xD
27th Jun 2014, 09:09
or you're just finding a reason to make money or be part of someone else's work.

You think this doesn't happen nowadays?

Tihocan
27th Jun 2014, 13:37
You think this doesn't happen nowadays?

Of course not, I just struggle to appreciate it.

Driber
27th Jun 2014, 14:10
Of course not, I just struggle to appreciate it.

So you're not a fan of the Gail Simone comics then, either?

RybatGrimes
2nd Jul 2014, 19:30
From the TR blog of tumblr:

Details for the new Tomb Raider novel
IGN ran an article about the recently announced novel, and there were some questions in the comments section that we wanted to answer. “Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals” is a traditional novel, as opposed to a graphic novel, and it will become canon within the franchise. It takes place immediately after the events of the Tomb Raider 2013 game, and before the events of the Dark Horse comic series. They each cover a different part of Lara’s time and development before “Rise of the Tomb Raider” begins.

You can see the complete IGN article here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/01/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-prequel-novel-announced

The article itself is pretty barebones and doesn't state anything new, but hey, at least we have confirmation on where the novel takes place. :D

dark7angel
2nd Jul 2014, 19:36
^So there's still hope Sam will die in the comics! Good to know. :thumb::p

Treeble
2nd Jul 2014, 20:09
And in the same vein we're already spoiled in knowing Lara will suceed in her desperate quest to cure Sam's OD. :p

Rai
2nd Jul 2014, 22:24
Sam was kinda off with Lara in the first issue of the comic. What with the events of the novel, then with the start of the nightmares, perhaps she's already fed up so that explains her attitude. I'm still gonna get the novel, just so I have the whole collection of the Reboot story.

I just hope the 2nd story arc of the comics leaves Sam out.

RybatGrimes
2nd Jul 2014, 22:56
Sam was kinda off with Lara in the first issue of the comic. What with the events of the novel, then with the start of the nightmares, perhaps she's already fed up so that explains her attitude. I'm still gonna get the novel, just so I have the whole collection of the Reboot story.

I just hope the 2nd story arc of the comics leaves Sam out.

Hmm, that's true actually! I always wondered why she was so angry with Lara so suddenly. D:

And yeah, I'm going to get it as well and read it because it's TR after all! :D All we can hope for is that she's not a damsel in the second arc. If she is, I think everyones going to flip. :p

Metalrocks
3rd Jul 2014, 07:54
could be an interesting read. especially since it will cannon with the next game. but sure takes out the story when it plays before the comics.
well, still time till october.

@rai
it was questionable why sam had a go at lara. maybe just fed up with the dreams she keeps having. thats at least my conclusion. but if the novel could give some sort of clarification, this would be nice.
but then sam was pretty cheerfuller when she came back home and called lara babe. so she cant be mad at her.

a_big_house
3rd Jul 2014, 08:50
@angry Sam
Yeah, I assumed it was because of the nightmares and being 'the morning grumps' if you know what I mean, rather than her actually being angry... The book might explain where the handprint came from though :)

Metalrocks
3rd Jul 2014, 10:50
@angry Sam
Yeah, I assumed it was because of the nightmares and being 'the morning grumps' if you know what I mean, rather than her actually being angry... The book might explain where the handprint came from though :)

true. because this was never addressed in the comic. not even lara reacted to it. in the latest issue i cant see the print on her arm anymore.
good thing it will come out in october. gives me time to finish off reading the lord of the ring books. almost finished with part 2.

Rai
4th Jul 2014, 00:01
A bit more insight on the novel from the authors' blog (http://www.nicolavincent-abnett.com/2014/07/absent-blogger-blame-it-on-lara-croft.html):

One of the things I studied at university besides English, was History, and this novel had a lot of archaeology in it, and a lot of stuff about myths and legends. There was just a touch of magic in there, and some fab locations to research, too.

I love a bit of action and adventure, and I can’t help getting involved with big characters, and this novel is full of that stuff. I also studied Fine Art, and there’s a smattering of that here on top of everything else, just for good measure.
This was right up my alley.

Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals is out in October from DK.

I don't know if this helps any into easing anyone's mind who thought the plot was too Samsel centric and not adventure enough.

d1n0_xD
4th Jul 2014, 00:28
^ Like we always say, people tend to jump to conclusions way too fast xD I mean, it's a TR novel, not a romance novel, it's not Twilight :p The thing is, if Lara needed to rescue an old professor of hers or sth like that, it would be fine, but the moment Sam's name was heard, it's like you let Satan make devil babies with you, pure sin :p People tend to be really biased for no reason.

Instead of rejoicing we have some new TR "merchandise", we throw it under the bus so readily :| I've read a couple of videogame-based novels, and they are just that, narratives within the context of the game. A game that you don't get to play, but read, if you want to. It's simple as that.

And who knows, maybe it'll suck, maybe it'll be great, and maybe it'll be meh. But the thing is, no matter how you look at it, it's a wonderful thing to interest yourself with while waiting for RotTR :D

RybatGrimes
4th Jul 2014, 00:35
^It is great that we're getting more TR stuff, but people aren't "hating" for no reason. Sam has been the damsel 3 times now. In a row. Sam existing for the sole reason of being a plot device is getting very old.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this "toxic OD" is from Himiko. Maybe Sam received enough of Himiko's spirit to cause her damage since the ritual wasn't fully completed, that would make sense. And I'd be more keen to disregard the whole Samsel thing. If that is the case.

Metalrocks
4th Jul 2014, 00:57
put it this way. at least lara doesnt have to save sam from some murderous cultist who are trying to kill her.
no one? *crawls back to dark hole*

anyway, i think it will be something like the AC books. yes, the AC books are practically the whole story of the actual game written together and were written by someone else but it was good enough to read regardless. at least it integrated some elements which we saw in the next game like what happened to ezios girlfriend.

the TR book continues after the game, so this is not bad but i honestly dont expect a master piece. what i expect from the book is more explanation about the island and hopefully about the characters and the development of lara.

pidipidi39
4th Jul 2014, 01:19
^ Like we always say, people tend to jump to conclusions way too fast xD I mean, it's a TR novel, not a romance novel, it's not Twilight :p The thing is, if Lara needed to rescue an old professor of hers or sth like that, it would be fine, but the moment Sam's name was heard, it's like you let Satan make devil babies with you, pure sin :p People tend to be really biased for no reason.
Actually, what 220_Volts said.
It's not about people hating Sam for no reason; or at least, I don't see it like that.
What disappointed people was to hear that we were going to have the same plot used for the third time, in a row.

But, who knows. It could turn out to be amazing, or not.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this "toxic OD" is from Himiko. Maybe Sam received enough of Himiko's spirit to cause her damage since the ritual wasn't fully completed, that would make sense. And I'd be more keen to disregard the whole Samsel thing. If that is the case.
That's an interesting theory :)

Rai
14th Sep 2014, 21:30
Is there a thread for the novel? :scratch:

Anyhoo, this is the final cover, apparently:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/102524b.jpg

dark7angel
14th Sep 2014, 22:04
Is there a thread for the novel? :scratch:

Me likey! Is there a better/bigger pic?

Rai
14th Sep 2014, 22:47
^Not that I know of. I forgot to add the source which is Gamestop (http://www.gamestop.com/books-magazines/strategy-guides/tomb-raider-ten-thousand-immortals/115695)

Treeble
14th Sep 2014, 23:08
Finally more news about the book, considering it's just a month away! I quite like the cover, thanks for sharing Rai!

Metalrocks
15th Sep 2014, 00:56
why does the cover remind me so much of the not so good movie "national treasure"?
anyway, if this is the thickness of the book, it looks like its only over 100 pages long, thats something that is quickly read.

Treeble
15th Sep 2014, 01:04
304 pages according to the last listing I saw.

Driber
15th Sep 2014, 09:59

Love it. So much better than the placeholder!

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/102524brp.jpg http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/102524b.jpg

WinterSoldierLTE
15th Sep 2014, 10:19
I managed to track down the first 4 issues of the comics over the weekend. I can honestly say they didn't really do anything for me. Not because of Sam or anything like that. They just seem awkward for some reason I can't put my finger on. Here's hoping this doesn't give off the same vibes.

"Her modest wish shatters as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose." Ah, them crazy college kids nowadays. What ever happened to just drinking on Friday and Saturday nights?

Rai
15th Sep 2014, 10:30
WinterSoldier, I'm thinking this overdose is more of the supernatural kind. If it were regular drugs (illegal or otherwise), regular medical treatment would help.

@Driber, thanks for moving the posts to relevant thread :thumb:

a_big_house
15th Sep 2014, 11:13
She overdosed on LxStacy *evil laugh* :lol:

motoleo
15th Sep 2014, 11:16
It looks new, and it's beautiful. I'm definitely getting it now!

Driber
15th Sep 2014, 13:04
LMAO @ ABH. Brilliant :lol:

And the pun of the year award goes to...

http://i.imgur.com/9lAFvXq.png

Valenka
15th Sep 2014, 21:22
I've had my copy preordered since the announcement. :D
Quite glad too, only a month away and I can't wait to give it a read. I love free books.

a_big_house
15th Sep 2014, 22:25
http://i.imgur.com/9lAFvXq.png

OMG! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
I'd like to dedicate my punniness to my Mother and my amazing Aunt Katie.
You ALL mean so much to me and this just goes to show, good things DO happen to good people.
:friends:
:cheek:
/run Cry.exe

RybatGrimes
16th Sep 2014, 00:26
Updated OP with final cover image. :D

https://31.media.tumblr.com/4e83ec57bb9e3c885aa6e4d410c0582c/tumblr_nbyre7Srtc1sa50hio1_400.jpg

I quite like it! Kind of looks like her original necklace design in the background.

Metalrocks
16th Sep 2014, 02:05
i actually have to see if my bookstore will or can get it. they probably dont expect it that people want to read it.

WinterSoldierLTE
16th Sep 2014, 02:23
Jokes aside, I do hope it can follow up the quality of "The Lost Cult" and "The Man Of Bronze". Those were very well written, great Lara tales.

dark7angel
16th Sep 2014, 13:13
Kind of looks like her original necklace design in the background.

My first thought was that it looked like an ammonite fossil.

Valenka
16th Sep 2014, 14:29
I quite like it! Kind of looks like her original necklace design in the background.

I don't think that's her necklace design. It does look like an ammonite fossil.

Lara_Fan_84
20th Sep 2014, 00:47
I want to get this book, but I won't preorder it in case it sucks. I'd rather wait and see reviews about it first. I'm really interested to know what happened after the game. Although, I thought that's what Rise was supposed to be about--not that I'll probably get to play it since I don't have an Xbox (but don't plan to get it either).

SineadLadyCroft
22nd Sep 2014, 13:00
I'm definitely pre-ordering! Although I'm hoping it's a good video game tie in. It'll be interesting to see :) The cover art alone is what is making me buy it TBH :p It's GORGEOUS!

dark7angel
22nd Sep 2014, 13:32
That gorgeous cover art is by Brian Horton (http://instagram.com/p/tOx76zAyzB/) himself! :worship:

AdeleDazeem
22nd Sep 2014, 13:36
I figured this out only a few days ago. My first though was: ''I'm definitly going to read that s***''. I'm a book junky, I'm a Tomb Raider junky... it all adds up <3

Metalrocks
22nd Sep 2014, 13:48
i am afraid my bookstore will not sell the book. i guess i have to get it over ebay.

AdeleDazeem
22nd Sep 2014, 13:53
i am afraid my bookstore will not sell the book. i guess i have to get it over ebay.

I'm lucky this time. I've got the option to order it on 'Bol.com' (A Dutch website that sells different kinds of media. English too) or I can pick it up in Amsterdam. There's a neat little bookstore here called 'American Book Store'.

eBay will probably sell it too.

Metalrocks
22nd Sep 2014, 14:09
I'm lucky this time. I've got the option to order it on 'Bol.com' (A Dutch website that sells different kinds of media. English too) or I can pick it up in Amsterdam. There's a neat little bookstore here called 'American Book Store'.

eBay will probably sell it too.

hong kong is more ignorant with this stuff. every time i have to write the title for them so that they can enter it in the system. not that i really blame them since english is not their strong language but still weird when they do have a quarter of the store filled with english books. hell, i even got my self the whole lord of the rings collection, that includes the hobbit, from there.

i guess if i would go to the southern part of hong kong were there are more western people, they most likely would have it but since its not close to my area and not cheap either to travel there, its actually cheaper for me to get it over ebay.

AdeleDazeem
22nd Sep 2014, 14:20
I didn't see you live in Hong Kong. Just a guess, but what about the airport? They usually have a multi language book store around.

Metalrocks
22nd Sep 2014, 14:26
the airport is at the far west. i live in the fat east. it takes over 2 hours to get there. and will cost me nearly 200HKD for one way. that would be around 20 euros.
i think you would agree that ebay is cheaper. ;)

motoleo
22nd Sep 2014, 21:38
I'm got it reserved here in Boston. I'll be picking it up the day of.

SineadLadyCroft
23rd Sep 2014, 01:21
That gorgeous cover art is by Brian Horton (http://instagram.com/p/tOx76zAyzB/) himself! :worship:

I thought that it had Brian's art style to it! I adore his TR artwork and am so glad that he was able to illustrate the cover for the novel!:) I'm really the type of person who if they like the art on a book, they'll buy it :p

a_big_house
23rd Sep 2014, 01:28
Can I just point out the jacket she's wearing, it's a spitting image of Sam's. As mentioned before in the TR10 plot thread, it does look like Lara is wearing Sam's jacket in the Rise trailer (which apparently made it look black). That cover certainly suggests to me that the jacket does in fact belong to Sam :D

SineadLadyCroft
23rd Sep 2014, 14:23
Can I just point out the jacket she's wearing, it's a spitting image of Sam's. As mentioned before in the TR10 plot thread, it does look like Lara is wearing Sam's jacket in the Rise trailer (which apparently made it look black). That cover certainly suggests to me that the jacket does in fact belong to Sam :D

OH MY GOD IT DOES! :eek: How did I not notice this?? Damn it looks good on Lara :p Hmmm it'll be interesting to see how this all ties in :)

motoleo
23rd Sep 2014, 15:36
It does look good on Lara. Something tells me this book is going to be very interesting.

Valenka
11th Oct 2014, 12:56
I just got an e-mail stating that my preorder of the book has been finalised and the item will release and ship on the 14th and I will receive it on the 16th thanks to my Two-Day Shipping. :D

motoleo
11th Oct 2014, 14:00
I can pick mines up today!

Valenka
11th Oct 2014, 14:25
I can pick mines up today!

How? It's not being released until the 14th. :scratch:

motoleo
11th Oct 2014, 19:36
How? It's not being released until the 14th. :scratch:

It arrived early. The store said they could "do some things."

And now, I have it in my possession.

http://s17.postimg.org/pz0ujjcbj/image.jpg

Lara_Fan_84
11th Oct 2014, 22:44
I looked at amazon and they have both cover versions, the one we see (Lara with the jacket) and the one with her close up about to shoot an arrow. Both say paperback and the jacket version is to be released on the 14th and the arrow one to be released on the 20th. I don't see a bit of difference except the arrow one seems to be more expensive by like 20 cents. What's the difference? I would like this in hardcover but it only says paperback unless a hardcover version comes out later. I'm surprised it's so cheap too both are under $10.

Rai
11th Oct 2014, 23:04
That image of Motoleo's, it kinda looks like a cardboard image, like a placeholder and nothing else. Where are the pages :p? Perhaps it's the angle he's holding it. I know it's not a very thick book...

motoleo
11th Oct 2014, 23:26
That image of Motoleo's, it kinda looks like a cardboard image, like a placeholder and nothing else. Where are the pages :p? Perhaps it's the angle he's holding it. I know it's not a very thick book...

You inquired, here's the details!

http://thefaceofleo.tumblr.com/post/99757233669/ive-got-my-hands-on-it-the-ten-thousand

Valenka
11th Oct 2014, 23:38
I looked at amazon and they have both cover versions, the one we see (Lara with the jacket) and the one with her close up about to shoot an arrow. Both say paperback and the jacket version is to be released on the 14th and the arrow one to be released on the 20th. I don't see a bit of difference except the arrow one seems to be more expensive by like 20 cents. What's the difference? I would like this in hardcover but it only says paperback unless a hardcover version comes out later. I'm surprised it's so cheap too both are under $10.

There's no difference. The second listing is outdated as the cover art is the one with Lara wearing a jacket and holding a Beretta.

motoleo
12th Oct 2014, 10:29
The foreword indicates that the book does indeed start with the end of the game, and end where the comics begin. Which, I was hoping for major changes or revisions.

Lara_Fan_84
13th Oct 2014, 22:12
There's no difference. The second listing is outdated as the cover art is the one with Lara wearing a jacket and holding a Beretta.

Thanks, so the one we see (Lara with jacket) is the final and official version.

Treeble
13th Oct 2014, 22:20
I got an email saying my pre-order would be dispatched "soon". The listing says it's available but still has the release date set as the 20th lol. What is the official street date?

Driber
13th Oct 2014, 22:25
I got an email saying my pre-order would be dispatched "soon". The listing says it's available but still has the release date set as the 20th lol. What is the official street date?

A few stores have started to release it early, but the official street date remains October 20th.

Rai
13th Oct 2014, 22:27
I've not heard anything about mine. In the my orders, it's telling me it's unavailable and they 'don't know when it'll be back in stock'. Does this mean I may not get it or it's just not released yet so that's why it's unavailable?.

Valenka
14th Oct 2014, 14:47
I've not heard anything about mine. In the my orders, it's telling me it's unavailable and they 'don't know when it'll be back in stock'. Does this mean I may not get it or it's just not released yet so that's why it's unavailable?.

I think it's 50/50 here, Rai.
When I ordered a gaming headset from Amazon that was out of stock, they ended up receiving more of them the week after I placed my order. There's probably a waiting period for online retailers to determine the amount of orders they have to accommodate before they place a bulk order.

Amazon, for instance, won't tell you it'll be back in stock in say, a week, unless they're absolutely certain. If you preordered your copy in advance (I preordered mine back in June) then you should be getting a copy swiftly. If it was a last minute preorder, like maybe this month or so, you might have to wait until the next batch arrives.

Metalrocks
14th Oct 2014, 15:56
for those who order it online, are you getting it from a retailer or just from amazon and ebay?

Rai
14th Oct 2014, 17:58
@Valenka, well I pre-ordered from Amazon back in June as well, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed then. Edit: I cancelled my amazon order and ordered from WH Smith instead. This way I can just collect it on the day with no delivery charge and no worrying it won't be available.

It's odd and a little sad that I sometimes go online forgetting high street stores. It didn't even occur to me to try a local store, I think it was because I got to thinking it wouldn't be available from a 'regular' store, somehow.

Valenka
16th Oct 2014, 18:59
I received my copy in the post today, right on time. :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/10527691_10203851684510360_117372217057067058_n.jpg?oh=e55fb579eaebff9814e2b7f5ef9154fd&oe=54B35412&__gda__=1420598826_b4ef633a87f05fee010175521424e755

motoleo
16th Oct 2014, 21:21
Cool! It's nice to see more people posting these photos.

Treeble
16th Oct 2014, 21:44
Mine was shipped today. Their ETA claims 10-15 days, but knowing the local post service I'm guessing it'll stretch to 35-40 (maybe even further). :p

NikNak513
16th Oct 2014, 22:07
So how is it?

Valenka
16th Oct 2014, 22:29
I haven't read more than the foreword yet. I'm saving it for my before-bed reading. :)

NikNak513
16th Oct 2014, 22:35
I haven't read more than the foreword yet. I'm saving it for my before-bed reading. :)

Ah, ok. Let us know how it is when you get around to it. I'm anxious to know. :D

No pressure or anything. :p

a_big_house
16th Oct 2014, 22:36
...I'm anxious to know. :D

You could always buy it :rasp:

NikNak513
16th Oct 2014, 22:38
You could always buy it :rasp:

I could, but what if it isn't any good? :whistle:

Metalrocks
17th Oct 2014, 02:35
nice. lucky you guys.
i asked my bookstore and they dont even have it on their system. but then again, HK never has anything on their system. they cant even tell me a day before release if they get a product.

Chocolate_shake
20th Oct 2014, 13:42
For those who are reading the novel right now , how is it ? Are you enjoying it ?

Driber
20th Oct 2014, 20:39
TR novel high res cover art added to TR9 media thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=2040426#post2040426

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2014, 00:34
If I don't win I'm going to get it on amazon but I want to wait and find out from people here how it is before I get it. I feel it's better to have reviews from TR fans.

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2014, 23:52
Has nobody had a chance to read this yet? I'm waiting on ordering it from amazon as nobody has reviewed on there either. I want to know if it's worth it.

LaraCroft04
21st Oct 2014, 23:59
I'm more than half way through and really enjoying it :) been reading it for hours on end so it must be decent haha. I got mine on amazon for only £4.00 so I would definitely say that it's worth getting

Rai
22nd Oct 2014, 17:49
I'm pretty certain the Ups delivery that came today was my copy..but I was at work when it arrived :mad:. They're coming back tomorrow, so thank goodness I have a day off.

Mind you, the 2 chapter Kindle sample was promising. :)

LaraCroft04
22nd Oct 2014, 18:25
Finished the book today, power read through it before work haha, has anyone else finished it ?

Lara_Fan_84
22nd Oct 2014, 23:44
I'm more than half way through and really enjoying it :) been reading it for hours on end so it must be decent haha. I got mine on amazon for only £4.00 so I would definitely say that it's worth getting

Thanks for the helpful info. :) I'm not sure what your paid price is in American dollars but amazon's price is around $10 for US so that's cheap. :)

Metalrocks
23rd Oct 2014, 09:37
not bad.
ebay charges over 24 AUD. surprisingly there were only 3 shops available and only 2 of them can ship it to hong kong. the one i chose has even free international delivery.
but now my problem is that paypal does not load at all. keeps telling me that it cant find the server. :mad:

Rai
23rd Oct 2014, 14:39
My copy finally arrived! So, I have a ton of housework to do.....*reads novel* :whistle:

motoleo
26th Oct 2014, 18:32
Well. It happened. I got to the end of the book.

And it happened.

Rai
27th Oct 2014, 16:13
Well, I finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wrote a long sort-of review over on TRF, so I don't feel like writing more right now. I will say, that the novel goes some way to showing how Lara gets to where she is emotionally and practically (in terms of being prepared) in the comics and I felt the novel and the 2nd story arc feel more connected so far, imo.

Treeble
27th Oct 2014, 16:37
Is it suitable for a copypasta, Rai?

The authors have retwitted an interview from MCM, though it doesn't really tell us much:

7RAVYfckZzI

Driber
27th Oct 2014, 17:09
Is it suitable for a copypasta, Rai?

I was just about to ask that... :)

motoleo
27th Oct 2014, 17:28
Might as well, as I am not in association with trf

Rai
27th Oct 2014, 23:15
@Treeble, apart from being a bit spoilery, it can be copy/pasted in. I also had a mini rant about people calling the writing simplistic, but I'll leave that out :p

Here ya go. Be prepared for longish read. I suggest tea and jaffa cake ;).

I would describe the book an 'easy light read', as in the language is regular clear English with clear and precise descriptions, making following events easy to do, even when there are twists and turns. There is some repetition in the early part of the book where Lara is roaming London, Oxford and Paris, getting on and off trains etc. I found it illuminates Lara's state of mind and the situation she's in. She's suffering from anxiety and even when calm, she seems overly alert and suspicious...which turns out to be good instincts. She was right to be. Events in the first half of the story seem fairly slow to begin with but the scenes are nicely set and flow really well for a more action pact second half. I never felt lost over what was happening, which, for me is important. I find it frustrating if I'm confused and have to go back to see if I missed anything.

The characterisation is done really well, if anything I wish we'd seen more of the likes of Willow as her appearances were brief. Lara begins as anxiety ridden and although this crops up again, she does manage to gather herself together quickly and with more control as the story progresses. I love that she's entirely weapon-less in the first half, relying entirely on her wits, agility and strong yet scrappy fighting skills. It feels that, despite the events of Yamatai, Lara isn't a psycho killer as she appears in the game; she's just a regular woman who got caught up in the events, perhaps even somehow effected by the island. She's smart and resourceful and often thinks her way out of danger, at least until things heat up and she's forced to fight like the bad guys. The pace was built up well and quite invigorating during the second half. Lara barely had time to rest.

There is enough reference to Yamatai to stay connected to TR'13, but the authors stay clear of anything that may be too much of a give away for the next game. Trinity is here, and anyone who has read the comics know that they're still a force to be reckoned with. Unless the comics finish up that story arc, it seems likely that Trinity will be back. Whether that involves Kennard or not is anyone's guess. But he makes for an interesting adversary and Ares was quite chilling. I was kept drawn in to see how these men's story arcs with Lara would pan out.

I think any concerns that the books and comics don't give enough clues to Rise, then I say that's a good thing. These stories are filler, none of the authors nor CD have tried pretending otherwise. And let's be honest, with knowing so little of Rise so far, we simple can't judge what links there are. Gail Simone has hinted at clues in the comics, so I think it safe to say there would be clues in the novel too. The authors are tied as to how much they can hint at and they can't bring Lara's story too far forward either. I feel the novel does just enough to leave Lara more aware and wary of people. She's unsure of who to trust and she turned to using weapons near the end of the novel and as we know she takes weapons with her whenever she travels now whether it's her axe or a gun or two and she's not afraid to use them. This is a Lara who is still healing emotionally after Yamatai, but she's learning quickly not to take chances with her life and she's more prepared and alert to potential threats. Kennard is till out there and Trinity are still a threat. The novel gives a better idea who they are without revealing too much. This story certainly feels more tied to the second comic arc than the first, which felt more like a fun interlude, if anything. I'm looking forward to how it continues either in the comics or in Rise. I guess it could be argued that there is a lack of the true 'Tomb Raider' feels. I'd agree if we're talking tombs, though there was a really nice chase section involving an underground cave/tunnel system and the rooftop hide and seek chase with Kennard was intense. And of course Lara was travelling in search of an artefact, so it's more TR in some respects than the comics. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I suspected it wouldn't necessarily be a full TR experience. But it's a nice in between adventures adventure.

The down sides were I felt the inclusion of the actor and his thugs slightly unnecessary and it was never explained where Sam was before she was admitted to hospital and why Lara, being her flat mate, hadn't noticed anything too untoward about her friend prior to that besides them both being traumatised. Also Sam's recovery happened off stage as it were with only Lara ever coming into contact with the artefacts, and not Sam, so it felt a little too easy in the end. Overall though,I did enjoy this, it was a real good page turner.

Treeble
28th Oct 2014, 00:47
Glad to know you've enjoyed it Rai, I myself am looking forward to reading it. I quite enjoyed the previous TR novels but they were not really bound by any continuity so they were free to go crazy - and that they did.

I kinda like that they're trying to establish a canon within the different media but as a whole I think it's being counterproductive, mostly because I feel it wasn't planned to be this way from the get go. I think they saw an opportunity to breach out and decided to stick with the "forget all you know about Lara" thing...

In that sense, maybe if the books fell under the Lara Croft franchise instead we'd have a wider range of possibilities... Still, really hoping it sells so they keep more novels coming. One per year like the Del Rey times would be great I think.

Chocolate_shake
28th Oct 2014, 06:23
Just finished reading . I can't believe I devoured the book in one day . It was a very good read and Lara's characterisation has been done really well .

Two thumbs up to the writers :)

And the Trinity stuff was sooooo exciting . They considered recruiting Lara after Yamatai !

It seems like Trinity is a highly organised group like a big corporation . I wonder what their recruitment criteria is

Metalrocks
28th Oct 2014, 09:24
Just finished reading . I can't believe I devoured the book in one day . It was a very good read and Lara's characterisation has been done really well .

And the Trinity stuff was sooooo exciting . They considered recruiting Lara after Yamatai !

It seems like Trinity is a highly organised group like a big corporation . I wonder what their recruitment criteria is

good to to know its a good read.

just read your spoiler. i actually had this thought that this could be the case one day. only my assumption that they will use her to achieve their goal or purpose.

well, according to the status on ebay, the book was send off and it estimates that i should get it by the end of this month. but i rather think it will be next week, since the book will be shipped from england.
damn, i still havent finished reading lord of the rings.

motoleo
28th Oct 2014, 20:36
Thanks

WinterSoldierLTE
28th Oct 2014, 21:08
Well, I finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wrote a long sort-of review over on TRF, so I don't feel like writing more right now. I will say, that the novel goes some way to showing how Lara gets to where she is emotionally and practically (in terms of being prepared) in the comics and I felt the novel and the 2nd story arc feel more connected so far, imo.

Does one need to have read or be up-to-date on the comics to understand certain bits (characters, settings, etc.) in it?

Rai
28th Oct 2014, 22:14
Does one need to have read or be up-to-date on the comics to understand certain bits (characters, settings, etc.) in it?Not at all :). The story is set before the comics and aside from Lara and Samsel, all the characters are new, well, except possibly one professor Lara knows also appears in the comics, but I could be wrong and the names are just similar. Also a certain organisation's name crops up that's also mentioned in the second arc, so the two stories feel slightly connected that way.

Lara_Fan_84
28th Oct 2014, 23:30

Story of my life with a new book. A couple of Christmas's ago I got the entire set of Harry Potter books and I finished them within two weeks. The Christmas before that I got the entire set of Twilight books, same story.

WinterSoldierLTE
28th Oct 2014, 23:47
Story of my life with a new book. A couple of Christmas's ago I got the entire set of Harry Potter books and I finished them within two weeks. The Christmas before that I got the entire set of Twilight books, same story.

That was R.A. Salvatore for me. I got into his Drizzit books late (I think 16 were out at the time) and after reading "The Crystal Shard" in 2 days, I was hooked. I got caught up on those in 2 weeks. I love books that suck you in like that.

Not at all :). The story is set before the comics and aside from Lara and Samsel, all the characters are new, well, except possibly one professor Lara knows also appears in the comics, but I could be wrong and the names are just similar. Also a certain organisation's name crops up that's also mentioned in the second arc, so the two stories feel slightly connected that way.

Ah, that's comforting to hear. Thank you.

FalloftheTR
29th Oct 2014, 21:54
Thanks to these forums, got the book off Amazon and am enjoying it. Only Ch3, but all-in-all, enjoyable thus far.

Do love it when they do novel tie ins to games I have enjoyed.

Hope Sam makes it......that would suck to kill her off

Lara_Fan_84
29th Oct 2014, 22:42
I'm still waiting on my copy. It has currently left New Jersey so maybe by Halloween or Saturday. I think November 14th is the last day of the estimated delivery date. At least there's tracking. Lots of things I've ordered didn't have tracking information, because most third party sellers don't provide it. I try to order from amazon if I can, but sometimes they charge too much.

Good news is I got #2 comic from Dark Horse. I'm still waiting on #3 and #5 and neither have tracking. Once I get all the books I'll begin reading since I am a reading addict I'll probably finish them in less than an hour or maybe half hour. :P

Lara_Fan_84
29th Oct 2014, 22:44
WinterSoldier: I love books that suck you in like that.

Me too. :)

Tihocan
30th Oct 2014, 00:38
Hmmm, not sure if I want it now. I was hoping for a bit more of an "involved" experience, rather than a easy light-ish read.
Not that I'd never get it, just not sure I want to pay $15 for a light romp when I pay less than that for a Tom Clancy novel. :)

Rai
30th Oct 2014, 01:07
I wouldn't say it was a light romp, exactly. It's easy to follow, but it's not Twilight (:whistle:) or a fluffy chic lit. Though if you're looking for an intellectual read, then it would disappoint I guess, but, imo, it's enjoyable. I found parts of it intense, especially the chase parts involving the Immortals and Trinity. I guess it just goes down to writing/reading styles preferences.

FalloftheTR
30th Oct 2014, 15:44
Book is a fun read, but the writing style is very simplistic.....this would be considered 5th grade reading level material

Metalrocks
31st Oct 2014, 05:53
Book is a fun read, but the writing style is very simplistic.....this would be considered 5th grade reading level material

lol. you mean like the assassins creed books? they were also very simple written but a good read never the less.

Tihocan
1st Nov 2014, 11:34

I finally got to read some, via the "sample" feature of Amazon. To say the writing is simplistic is accurate, and in some cases, generous.

While I agree with FalloftheTR's quip about the reading level, I do not believe that a board of education would consider this a candidate for school curriculum simply because it does not portray appropriate writing skills for teaching.

I feel that the writer has come from a background where description is mostly done for them, which shows in their writing style. Frankly, after reading two chapters, I don't care about any of the characters.

rant() {

1. Do not repeat yourself. Repeating yourself makes your writing look desperate, rather than delivering the impact - Have to save Sam. My friend Sam. Gotta save her. No really I do.

2. If you're going to describe stuff, frickin' describe it. Yep, mom and her kid on the train. She's studying things, so describe them properly. And,
"As she always did, Lara checked the passengers standing closest to her..."
She did? For what purpose?
I assume this is because she has developed a deep distrust/wariness of other people, but there is no indication why or to what lengths she studied them. If not, why mention it at all?

3. Don't start sentences with pronouns more than a couple of times in succession. She did this. She did that. Lara had this. Lara had that. Especially when the character is the only one in the story at that point.

4. Timing issues, a really weak reference to Yamatai - despite it being the core quality in her character, tenuous connections to state of mind and experience... I think I'll give it up now.} //end rant

Metalrocks
1st Nov 2014, 12:38
got the book today. that was really fast for a free shipping from england. :D
just read the first chapter. its really simplistic written and a bit repetitive with the pronoun. not even the assassins creed books had that many pronouns.

but i sure will keep reading and see how i feel once i have completed the book.

FalloftheTR
2nd Nov 2014, 14:45
Writing style, to me, has improved as the book has progressed. This is a story that could never be told in a video game format, and as a result, I am enjoying it quite a bit....lara doing research is pretty cool

Someone remind me please: was the Book her journal in game 1, or something new....or part of her old series? Novel is a little vague, but was this originally her fathers?

Thanks

Rai
2nd Nov 2014, 17:47
Writing style, to me, has improved as the book has progressed. This is a story that could never be told in a video game format, and as a result, I am enjoying it quite a bit....lara doing research is pretty cool

Someone remind me please: was the Book her journal in game 1, or something new....or part of her old series? Novel is a little vague, but was this originally her fathers?

Thanks

I was wondering about the Book as well. I thought perhaps it was the book she had at the end of TR'13 that gave us the Croatan hint. Some would argue that this journal was Mathias' that she picks up, but she put that one down again. I suppose the Book could be her journal and that this is also the journal we see in the game. None of which is explained. So, to sum up, I don't know :p.

I really love the research parts as this is something we never actually see Lara doing. Same with the travelling. In a game, Lara (we) is just plonked somewhere ominous where she's done most of the nitty gritty travelling and now she's almost near her destination/about to make the discovery.

a_big_house
2nd Nov 2014, 18:47
Don't forget she picked up a journal by some scientists in the bunker, just after returning from the Endurance ;)

Rai
2nd Nov 2014, 19:22
Don't forget she picked up a journal by some scientists in the bunker, just after returning from the Endurance ;)

Wasn't that a log book? I took that to mean a log of events on Yamatai, plus possibly other science evaluations etc. That doesn't fit the description of what the Book is. Could be wrong. Perhaps someone should ask the authors.

Lara_Fan_84
2nd Nov 2014, 20:08
I got the book on Friday but didn't have a chance to read it until Friday night. I am very addicted. I was able to read it on and off Saturday and today. Currently I'm on chapter 34 and am enjoying every bit of it. There's tons of action so nobody should complain there.

FalloftheTR
2nd Nov 2014, 20:29
Preface indicated the 'seeds' for the sequel are being planted with this book. When we meet Willow, kinda wondering if she will be Sam 2.0 in the game...?

a_big_house
2nd Nov 2014, 20:37
Wasn't that a log book? I took that to mean a log of events on Yamatai, plus possibly other science evaluations etc. That doesn't fit the description of what the Book is. Could be wrong. Perhaps someone should ask the authors.

Lara does mention there are log books before she picks up the one she takes, but I'd still assume it was the book she was looking at at the end of the game... Why don't you ask Rhianna, she usually answer your tweets :)

Lara_Fan_84
2nd Nov 2014, 20:37
Preface indicated the 'seeds' for the sequel are being planted with this book. When we meet Willow, kinda wondering if she will be Sam 2.0 in the game...?

Yeah she seems like a Sam replacement.

Referring to something that happens in the beginning when we find out Sam is actually Himiko I kind of hoped that would happen. I don't understand how it did though. I thought when Lara killed Mathias and used the torch to stab Himiko's body that the ritual ended, therefore, stopped Himiko from transferring her soul into Sam. I don't know, unless some of Himiko went and stayed in Sam. :scratch:

Rai
2nd Nov 2014, 20:52
I sincerely hope not, not in the context of 'Lara's Savingitus. I do not want to be saving anyone in Rise. I liked Willow and I wouldn't mind seeing her again, but I don't know how they'd fit her in the story unless she turns out to be useful to Lara somehow. Any seeds that got planted in this novel is more likely to be Trinity (they appear in the comics too) and what this organisation represents. They seem to want anything remotely supernatural 'cleaned up', to eliminate any traces of it, and that includes any person who knows something.

Referring to something that happens in the beginning when we find out Sam is actually Himiko I kind of hoped that would happen. I don't understand how it did though. I thought when Lara killed Mathias and used the torch to stab Himiko's body that the ritual ended, therefore, stopped Himiko from transferring her soul into Sam. I don't know, unless some of Himiko went and stayed in Sam. :scratch:

The implication is that enough of Himiko got transferred. Not enough for Himiko to be at full strength, but just enough for her to, at times, overpower Sam's mind. I can't work out how much time Lara and Sam were back home, it's certainly long enough for Lara to get some help with her anxiety. Presumably Sam was acting like herself to begin with for Lara and anyone else not to notice anything wrong, so perhaps Himiko lay dormant for a while, too weak to act.

Lara_Fan_84
4th Nov 2014, 00:54
Thanks Rai for your insight, it makes sense. :)

I finished the book yesterday and began reading the comics later on yesterday and I just now finished the last comic. But, it stinks now to have to wait and find out what happens next.

Metalrocks
5th Nov 2014, 13:44
just arrived at chapter 15.

enjoyed the chase in paris. reminded me of bourne identity and the girl jumping over rooftops of assassins creed. :nut:

i have to say; its a good read. like the parts were lara is doing her research and her paranoia that someone is following her turned out to be real, even after telling her self that it cant be the case.
definitely like her being traumatized and being diagnosed with PTS and anxiety. i think that is a nice touch that she didnt get over it just like that.

Treeble
5th Nov 2014, 19:08
I'm only up to Ch.5. Making a mark on a sheet of paper everytime Sam or Samantha is mentioned (deliberately ignoring "Miss Nishimura" though), anyone dare to guess what will be the final total. :p

Rai
5th Nov 2014, 19:15
^I'm betting it's a high count. Don't worry, it does get less...until the end.

Tihocan
6th Nov 2014, 00:25
I'm only up to Ch.5. Making a mark on a sheet of paper everytime Sam or Samantha is mentioned (deliberately ignoring "Miss Nishimura" though), anyone dare to guess what will be the final total. :p

Really, it's like that? :-/

My bet = 237

Driber
6th Nov 2014, 00:34

WinterSoldierLTE
6th Nov 2014, 00:36
anyone dare to guess what will be the final total. :p

123. Whats the prize?:D

Metalrocks
6th Nov 2014, 01:18

either its the real count you have made or making a sarcastic reference to "the hitcher hiker to the galaxy".

@mentioning sam
its more frequent at the beginning, understandably, but later on she does get mentioned less. at least where i am now i didnt read much about sam.

Treeble
6th Nov 2014, 19:21
Really, it's like that? :-/

Fortunately, it's progressively being pushed into the backdrop, like Rai and Metal have said. I'm up to Ch.10 now and Lara's already met some interesting new people to keep her mind busy. The initial chapters were all about Sam though, but I'm guessing you could tell by the available preview.

WinterSoldierLTE
6th Nov 2014, 22:33
It does get better. I'm on chapter 16 and it's been a minute since I've seen her name. And my guess was just a guess. I didn't think to keep track. Short chapters, eh? I can't stand when 2 chapters are short enough to be combined into 1 but aren't. Good read thus far, but still preferring "Lost Cult" so far.

Lara_Fan_84
7th Nov 2014, 00:26
I think Lara seems to think of Same less and less as she is too busy and Lara knows Sam is in safe hands at the hospital so she is less worried about her as the book progresses.

Metalrocks
7th Nov 2014, 01:27
at chapter 21 now. sam was mentioned i think in chapter 19 or 20 for a brief moment, but thats it.
as lara fan said, lara knows sam is in good hands. so she can really focus on her task and saving her self.

she is again being chased. this time in a cave.

till now, i enjoy the book. at least i can read for many hours without getting tired as i do with the last book of lord of the rings. i put that one on a hold now. dont know why, but part 3 of LOTR just feels boring and has uninteresting parts as well. i always feel tired after reading a few pages.

WinterSoldierLTE
7th Nov 2014, 01:45
dont know why, but part 3 of LOTR just feels boring and has uninteresting parts as well. i always feel tired after reading a few pages.

That was a rough series for me. "Fellowship" was the only one that kept my attention. The other 2 just drag on and on and are way too descriptive. They knock me right out. Good movies though, even if they had to add new story elements and mix and match chapters.

Rai
7th Nov 2014, 01:51
I loved that cave chase. It felt very Tomb Raider to me. Even though Lara's on the receiving end of the chase (which seems like an odd scenario for Lara Croft to be in), the description of the climbing down, Lara navigating her way through to get out of danger just felt like a typical adventure moment which was such a contrast to the city/rooftop stuff. And then of course there was the environment itself, I could just imagine it.

Chocolate_shake
7th Nov 2014, 01:54
I wouldn't worry about Sam overshadowing the plot . She is barely there once lara is in Paris .
The climax of the book where lara gets caught up in the cross firing between the two secret organisations is very intense and thrilling .

One thing I do not understand is that after such a close brush with the Trinity why doesn't Lara acknowledge their existence and her experiences to Kaz ( in the comics) when she mentions the Trinity ? Lara acts as if she never heard about the Trinity at all...

Rai
7th Nov 2014, 02:03
You have a point about the comic connection. Perhaps there's a lack of communication between authors? Rhianna and Gail weren't involved with the novel. It seems like a pretty big coincidence that both mention Trinity, but it could be. I'll have to re read the comics, but did Lara know that it was Trinity that were after Kaz at first? Also, she still doesn't know for sure what the organisation are or what they do.

Metalrocks
7th Nov 2014, 02:13
That was a rough series for me. "Fellowship" was the only one that kept my attention. The other 2 just drag on and on and are way too descriptive. They knock me right out. Good movies though, even if they had to add new story elements and mix and match chapters.

ah, good to see im not the only one.
yes, part 1 was really good and i read through it very quickly. part 2 was alright but it started to drag out that i stopped reading it for some time. part 3... you can say i try to force my self to finish it. certainly has some interesting moments not seen in the films but still; uninteresting. thats what mr jackson did better in the movies.

the hobbit on the other hand was a damn good book. now this was really a pleasure to read. even when there were no battle at the river and being all stealthy in the town they ended up.

I loved that cave chase. It felt very Tomb Raider to me. Even though Lara's on the receiving end of the chase (which seems like an odd scenario for Lara Croft to be in), the description of the climbing down, Lara navigating her way through to get out of danger just felt like a typical adventure moment which was such a contrast to the city/rooftop stuff. And then of course there was the environment itself, I could just imagine it.

agreed. even when i did feel a bit lost how she got spotted when she was climbing down the wall before she entered the cave.
where the 2 guys down on the ground had to walk up to climb down???

there were moments i got a bit confused what happened or how they/she got there. like when lara was on the moppet and the guy tried to grab her but lara somehow grabbed him. was baffled how the moppet got the wheel in to the guys leg and lara picking up the photo. read the page 3 times and still felt confused.

Chocolate_shake
7th Nov 2014, 02:16
Its been a while since I read the comics too . But once Kaz mentions them I think Lara should have made a connection to her past experience .

By the way , in issue #9 , Lara has some line to the effect - "Should have gone to the big park in Paris , perhaps " . Is it a reference to the novel ?

Also in the next page , in the final panels , Lara is thinking with a straight face - "He's going to kill us all like....Like....." and then her expression changes to ":eek:".Maybe this is the moment when Lara puts 2 and 2 together .....

Rai
7th Nov 2014, 02:19
^No, in the comic Lara's line and facial expression was remembering Kaz's dogs. "He's going to kill us like....[dogs]." Then of course she lets Kaz know what she's thinking and Kaz calls the dogs.

Chocolate_shake
7th Nov 2014, 02:20
Oh . Ok , thanks for clearing that up . :)

What about the paris thing ?

Rai
7th Nov 2014, 02:24
I dunno, it could be a coincidence again. We just don't know how much of the novel's plot Gail and Rhianna knew before writing the comics.

I think you're right about Lara/Kaz and Trinity, but without reading the comics again, it's hard to put it in context.

Chocolate_shake
7th Nov 2014, 02:27
Since Trinity is such a huge plot point , I don't think Rhianna and Gail could have messed up accidentally .

I think everything will fall into place with the coming issues .

*Over and out*

Metalrocks
7th Nov 2014, 14:09
Since Trinity is such a huge plot point , I don't think Rhianna and Gail could have messed up accidentally .

I think everything will fall into place with the coming issues .

*Over and out*

or being revealed in the game. after all, they have to keep some tension going.

AdeleDazeem
11th Nov 2014, 20:34
Read the final page today so I can savely browse this topic. In short: I loved it. It's this weird bridge between old en reborn Lara. It reminded me a lot of Legend and the Core games. But still with the Lara that doesn't yet believe that not all legends are myths.

As a Buffy fan I appreciated the small reference with Willow and Xander. Thought I should mention that. :)

There's one thing I didn't like about the book. It had nothing to do with the story, but the writing. In the first few chapters I was glad that the perspective was Lara's at all times. Cause lots of books suffer from too many 3rd person perspectives. At that moment I jinxed it and the perspective changed. But not in a new paragraph, it happened it the next sentence. It happens very often that you switch from Lara to, for example, Kennard. Sometimes with a timelapse. It was really confusing and sometimes I had to backtrack because I didn't know what I was reading anymore. A new paragraph would be nice when switching character perspectives. Did anyone else think that?

Rai
11th Nov 2014, 20:47
^Yeah. Although I didn't mind seeing a change in perspective, the way it was handled was poorly done, imo. If you have a change of character view like that, it needs to be clear and at least a paragraph break. It was interesting reading both Lara's and her antagonists sides to situations, but it was jarring to switch so suddenly like that.

And I appreciated the Buffy reference and really liked Willow's character.

Metalrocks
12th Nov 2014, 01:24
not entirely finished yet but im getting there. just arrived at chapter 34.

i agree that this switching between character was confusing indeed. a paragraph would have been very handy. so yes, you are not the only one who got confused whats happening.

like the chase in paris over the rooftops. or when lara was escaping in to the cave in greece. the switch between her and her pursuer was indeed irritating that i lost the image in my head where they are.

i guess they didnt bother since the chapters arent really long.

edit:
well, i have finally finished the book. :)
didnt expect this kind of ending. i expected some sort of exorcism. im wondering if this will be clarified in the game or in the comics. unless its intended to keep it open for speculation.
killing the old man did the trick or when lara had everything combined and her love for sam transferred over to sam to get rid of himiko?

otherwise, it was a really good read and very enjoy full. now i have to try to finish off the third book of lord of the rings :rolleyes:. i know already i will fall asleep.

WinterSoldierLTE
18th Nov 2014, 22:58
Ok everyone. Maybe I've missed it above somewhere, but what is with The Book? Where and when did she get it? Was it introduced in the comics? I do not recall reading the answers to those questions in the book (meaning "10k Immortals") and it's kind of eating my brain up every time she reads it.

Treeble
19th Nov 2014, 00:02
How far in are you? I have not read it since saturday (up to Ch.30 something), but it gets explained in small doses along the way... It's a collection of notes and clippings regarding archaeological subjects. Where she got it from has not been told (or it was and I've forgotten), but I remember at some point it was said a number of different hands had added their own tidbits to it, so I'm guessing she might have inherited it from her father?

But yeah, even the very first lines of the novel are like "It was too late. She dropped it. She dropped The Book." It took me a long while to realize this was not a reference to the holy bible lol

WinterSoldierLTE
19th Nov 2014, 00:58
How far in are you? I have not read it since saturday (up to Ch.30 something), but it gets explained in small doses along the way... It's a collection of notes and clippings regarding archaeological subjects. Where she got it from has not been told (or it was and I've forgotten), but I remember at some point it was said a number of different hands had added their own tidbits to it, so I'm guessing she might have inherited it from her father?

But yeah, even the very first lines of the novel are like "It was too late. She dropped it. She dropped The Book." It took me a long while to realize this was not a reference to the holy bible lol

Yeah I figured it was a scrap book handed down from adventurer to adventurer for some reason. Mainly because, like you said, other people have written in it with the notes and clippings. Currently on Chapter 25, and I've been expecting to find out where she got it for a few chapters now, so if you don't remember reading it and I don't remember reading it, it must not have happened. A Bible would make sense tho. I can see a family member (Dad, presumably) giving it to her and quoting 'Zelda' with the old: "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.". Thanks mate.

Rai
19th Nov 2014, 01:59
Perhaps we should actually just ask CD what The Book is. Is it a family heirloom? The journal she had with her at the end of TR'13? Will it appear in Rise? Someone has to know.

Metalrocks
21st Nov 2014, 14:26
i thought more that it was the book she found on the island and after doing more research, she came across more notes she added in to the book.

Weemanply109
22nd Nov 2014, 02:20
I don't really read books much, if ever, but I'm really interested in this (cause Tomb Raider..). Is this good or is this more throwaway tripe in the catalogue for the reboot series? :hmm:

Is it worth it? :cool:

WinterSoldierLTE
22nd Nov 2014, 04:02
I'm only about 24 or 25 chapters in, and it's ok. It get's really good, then the authors do some weird character perspective changes that come out of nowhere and confuse me. It's hard to tell sometimes what's going on. But it is interesting.

Metalrocks
22nd Nov 2014, 04:45
I don't really read books much, if ever, but I'm really interested in this (cause Tomb Raider..). Is this good or is this more throwaway tripe in the catalogue for the reboot series? :hmm:

Is it worth it? :cool:

it certainly is a good read. but as pointed out before; it does get confusing when it switches unexpectedly from one character to another. once its about lara then the next sentence is about someone else. :nut:

Weemanply109
22nd Nov 2014, 18:25
I see... That doesn't sound too good. :o

I'll check up on it a bit more to see if I can come to a conclusion on this one. :p

Rai
22nd Nov 2014, 19:42
The character POV doesn't change often, if that helps. Only around three or four times, I think. For me, the good stuff in this novel outweighs any negative by a long shot. The rooftop chases are probably the best parts of the story and the most memorable.

Metalrocks
23rd Nov 2014, 01:55
The character POV doesn't change often, if that helps. Only around three or four times, I think. For me, the good stuff in this novel outweighs any negative by a long shot. The rooftop chases are probably the best parts of the story and the most memorable.

doesnt change often?
i got confused with the roof chase chapter (which is indeed a memorable chapter) who is who now. especially the ending of the chapter with the bike was utterly confusing for me how this all happened that the wheel of the bike hit the guys leg in the end:scratch:.
then in greece, especially in the cave and then the ending was confusing as well with all the sudden changes of characters. most of the times i had to read the last few sentences to get the picture that they are now talking about someone else.

Rai
23rd Nov 2014, 03:43
Perhaps the authors were trying to go with a sense of suspense. If you can imagine the scene like it would appear in a film, you get a sense of first Lara, then her perusers hot on her tail, back to Lara. I definitely got a feeling of suspense and seeing the antagonist's pov occasionally was quite refreshing for a novel. I just think it didn't translate as well in text, certainly as the way it was written made it confusing, which is a pity.

Chocolate_shake
23rd Nov 2014, 05:15
I didn't find the change of perspectives as confusing as others are feeling . One thing which did annoy me while reading was the whole random subplot of that hollywood star and his henchmen . I wanted more of Lydia and Ares .

I did however enjoy reading it a lot . I've read far worse novels ( that sometimes even boast a NY times bestseller tag)

Metalrocks
23rd Nov 2014, 10:02
in a movie you do see it and therefor easier for the eye to recognize who is who and what is happening. but in a novel, this doesnt work. at least for me and for others. so i would say that is a bit of a failed attempt.

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Nov 2014, 13:29
One thing which did annoy me while reading was the whole random subplot of that hollywood star and his henchmen .

Yeah I had to take a break from it when I got to that part. That was a bit too out there for me, those henchmen especially.

I've read far worse novels ( that sometimes even boast a NY times bestseller tag)

I sometimes wonder how many copies of a book one has to sell before they get on that list. The NYT doesn't seem to have very high requirements to get on there. I'd like to think it's like the music business with Gold, Platinum, and Diamond record's, but there's a lot of crap that has that tag on it, like you said.

It's by no means a flawless book, but it's much better than 'The Amulet Of Power', and damn better than anything Andy McDermott's written, so I'll say it's worth a read for all of us TR fans. It's definitely better than the BioShock book, but not as good as the Dead Space books.

What's up with not getting it in hardback? Was anyone else let down by that?

Weemanply109
23rd Nov 2014, 15:58

It does indeed. :D Reading the following posts from my last one, it's gave me the kick of confidence I need to decide to purchase the book. :)

but just before I buy it... QUESTION: Do I need to read the comics first? If so, what issues does it take place between/after/before (or whatever)?

a_big_house
23rd Nov 2014, 15:59
It does indeed. :D Reading the following posts from my last one, it's gave me the kick of confidence I need to decide to purchase the book. :)

but just before I buy it... QUESTION: Do I need to read the comics first? If so, what issues does it take place between/after/before (or whatever)?

The book is set before the comics :)

Weemanply109
23rd Nov 2014, 16:04
The book is set before the comics :)

Thank you. :cool: Glad to hear it. :whistle:

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Nov 2014, 17:56
Alright, I have just finished up another playthrough of TR 2013 (Trophy hunting and 100% completing. Which once again shows me at 99% complete, even though I've got all relics, maps, logs, and chellenges complete. Weird.), and in the very last cutscene when Lara is on the boat leaving the Dragon's Triangle she's got The Book. Still no clue where she got it, or explanation on what it is, but she had it.

What a buggy playthrough it was to. There were two times in Shanty Town where enemies were invisible and the only way I knew they were there was their guns were floating in the air aiming at me. It was a strange visual.

EDIT: Also noticed for the first time that Roth is voiced by the guy who does Master Miller & Liquid Snake in the MGS series.

Lara_Fan_84
23rd Nov 2014, 21:22
Alright, I have just finished up another playthrough of TR 2013 (Trophy hunting and 100% completing. Which once again shows me at 99% complete, even though I've got all relics, maps, logs, and chellenges complete. Weird.), and in the very last cutscene when Lara is on the boat leaving the Dragon's Triangle she's got The Book. Still no clue where she got it, or explanation on what it is, but she had it.

What a buggy playthrough it was to. There were two times in Shanty Town where enemies were invisible and the only way I knew they were there was their guns were floating in the air aiming at me. It was a strange visual.

EDIT: Also noticed for the first time that Roth is voiced by the guy who does Master Miller & Liquid Snake in the MGS series.

What?! :eek: I am also a heavy Metal Gear Solid series gamer and I never noticed that either, but that could be because I never looked at the cast list (voice actors list)

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Nov 2014, 22:45
What?! :eek: I am also a heavy Metal Gear Solid series gamer and I never noticed that either, but that could be because I never looked at the cast list (voice actors list)

Yeah it probably wouldn't have clicked for me if I hadn't just played 'Ground Zeroes' a week ago. I looked him up after finishing 'Tomb Raider' today, and he's got a pretty impressive resume not just for games, but films...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Atkin_Downes

Turns out 'Uncharted' and TR are linked in more ways than just Amy Henning...

EDIT: Appears I was wrong about him playing Liquid and Master in the first MGS. He played Master only, starting with 'Peace Walker'. My bad.

Weemanply109
29th Nov 2014, 16:56
My copy of the book and the volume 1 of the comics is expected to arrive later this week! I'm too excited! :lol:

I was a bit apprehensive of buying the vol 1 of the comics, but I figured if I had the gall to buy that trashy Game Guide last year for TR2013 then there's no loss truly greater that would make me regret purchasing these comics.

Treeble
2nd Dec 2014, 21:10
Ok, so I finished reading it yesterday or the day before and I have to say I'm slightly disappointed. At first I didn't really mind the way it's written but as I went on and on I felt it was pure padding. If we cut out all the repetitions and unnecessary amount of detail that doesn't really add anything to the experience we'd probably end up with a 120-150 page book instead of a 340 one.

I also thought the story fell flat at the end. There was such a huge build up towards that Ares guy being involved in everything all along and then bang - dead. How had he lived for the past n years or was even that the same person or just a smart decoy? He survived previous bullets but hey, it doesn't matter.

The way Sam was misteriously healed also didn't do it for me. All Lara had to do was think of her while in possession of both pieces? Lame-o. She'd lost them both by the end, hadn't she? To that Trinity guy which we just never know why they were there... we just know they where there. And chasing Lara.

All in all, I'll just rephrase what I mentioned before, they have to let go of the whole canon thing, this book could have been something else entirely if it didn't have to deal with Lara taking sips of water every two pages because of her PTSD. Her paranoia drove me mad a couple of times, and I ended up taking long breaks reading the book. Breaks I don't remember at all with any of the old Tomb Raider novels which were not bound by the games released at their times.

I'm not quite sure if any of these particular traits actually helped develop her character. And I'm not sure I even cared for that. For all it's worth, I stopped reading a lengthy fanfic for this and I'll say I was enjoying said fanfic (The Second Scion) a lot more. Like, a lot more.

I'll put my notes together and possibly ask for help understading them... I'm sure they will make little or no sense and to be honest I have no desire of reading through this a second time. :(

tl;dr Fingers crossed for a more engaging second novel. Assuming there'll be one ofc.

Also, "Sam" is used a staggering total of 130 times. In the opening and closing chapters mostly...

Weemanply109
2nd Dec 2014, 21:33
Not the first time I've heard someone say that about the novel. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few amazon reviews say similar.

Anyway, I kinda expected this kinda of thing to happen. The franchise has limited itself enough by grounding itself w/ the whole gritty and realistic world. However, forcing every TR media to submit to canon is only limiting them to a smaller scope of ideas and possibilities that will only affect the quality output in any further book, comic, etc we get in the future versus the old franchise (evident on the over-use of "evil corporations", if what I've heard about the books and the comics are true) . It also add possibility for inconsistencies if there's any narrative errors in any media that contradicts a pivotal point in the game's story, etc.

I have no opinion (as of right now) on whether or not the strict adherence to canon is good or bad for this franchise (I'll reserve my opinion till my copy of my comics and novel arrives), but it makes you wonder how they'll deal with it in the future. Will we continue to see more books, etc or will they try and keep it to a bare minimum to avoid any inconsistencies?

Does anyone know if Crystal actually oversee any of the novels, comics, etc before they're publicised?

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Dec 2014, 00:29
Her paranoia drove me mad a couple of times, and I ended up taking long breaks reading the book. Breaks I don't remember at all with any of the old Tomb Raider novels which were not bound by the games released at their times.

Man, I've had to do the same. I took a week away from it then picked it up again and honestly had no clue what had been happening in previous chapters when I started reading again. I've never had that problem with a book before. But to be fair I've never taken a break like that from a book before. I've said somewhere before it's worth a read for TR fans, and I'll stick by that, but it gets rough in those last 100 pages. I've only 30 or so pages to go, and I can't even say what's happened in the previous 70. People show up who I feel like I should know but I can't remember them.

At this point I'm still gonna call "The Lost Cult" the best TR book.

Does anyone know if Crystal actually oversee any of the novels, comics, etc before they're publicised?

Yes, they do. There's an intro in the book from someone at Crystal that says they (un-named people at CD) read it and approved, and the story is officially part of cannon.

a_big_house
3rd Dec 2014, 00:40
I also thought the story fell flat at the end.

I've not read the book, so I can't comment on its contents, but Dan and Nik who wrote the book, also co-wrote the story for Alien: Isolation (I found that out today) and I feel the same way about that ending. I'm wondering if it's something they do? (like does the book end on any sort of cliffhanger or is everything resolved?)

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Dec 2014, 00:46
I've not read the book, so I can't comment on its contents, but Dan and Nik who wrote the book, also co-wrote the story for Alien: Isolation (I found that out today) and I feel the same way about that ending. I'm wondering if it's something they do? (like does the book end on any sort of cliffhanger or is everything resolved?)

Oh, man yeah, that ending was a gip. It was good, I thought, but way too short. Definitely one of those "THAT'S IT?!" endings.

Weemanply109
3rd Dec 2014, 01:09
I C. Welp @ them approving the filler pages. :'

On another note, I've never owned a TR book before (this will be my first). Where can I find all the TR-related books and if so, can anyone recommend the best ones (aside from 'The Lost Cult' since you've already praised it ;))

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Dec 2014, 01:16
I C. Welp @ them approving the filler pages. :'

On another note, I've never owned a TR book before (this will be my first). Where can I find all the TR-related books and if so, can anyone recommend the best ones (aside from 'The Lost Cult' since you've already praised it ;))

I went to a bookstore (Barnes & Noble) and ordered mine. I figured they wouldn't be able to get them since they are out of print and have been for some time, but they tracked them down fast. And they didn't use E-Bay or Amazon either. There's only 3: "The Amulet Of Power", "Lost Cult", and "The Man Of Bronze". "Cult" and "Bronze" are the better of the three. "Amulet" is like a fan fic writers first attempt. If I remember right, they're all linked to each other. I do remember for sure that a character introduced in "Cult" shows up again in "Bronze" and events in "Cult" are also mentioned in "Bronze". "Amulet" I can't say for sure if it's linked to the others or not. It's been a couple of years since I read them.

So I'd say start at bookstores, and if they can't get them for you, there's always the 'net.

Metalrocks
3rd Dec 2014, 01:39
the ending is not what you expect but i saw this as a good thing. lara is more or less a novice in this field. she was pretty much relying on hunches, mixed with facts and legends. lara asked her self as well why sam was healed and had her theories.
it sure would be nice to know why but i guess it was deliberately written that way to keep the reader guessing and/or will be revealed later on in the games.
and besides, the book was written like 98% from laras view. how much did she know about them? all she knew is that they are after her and trying to find the same she is looking for.

EliParker28
4th Dec 2014, 06:12
After reading the novel, I believe it is helps to enhance the the comic books, so it can be better and help jump start the first arc of the comic book. As the novel address alittle backstory for Lara's father's friend the Professor Cahalane, and a sorta reason why Lara needed to go back to Yamatai.

Why didn't the writer add Danny at the end of the book. For me that is when Lara was hypnosis mesmerism by Danny/Matt. Also in the comic book she said that Dany looked familiar by it wasn't touch on again.

Also I learned that Trinity = The Modern day League of Shadows and Tomb Raider is similar to the show Arrow.

dark7angel
4th Dec 2014, 14:32
Quick question for those who read the book: does it explain/mention Sam's handprint on her arm that we saw in the comics but was never mentioned again?

Metalrocks
4th Dec 2014, 15:44
Quick question for those who read the book: does it explain/mention Sam's handprint on her arm that we saw in the comics but was never mentioned again?

none what so ever. would be good to know how she got it. even at the end of the book nothing was mentioned about a hand print. just that sam talked about she is himiko.

EliParker28
4th Dec 2014, 16:56

The way I see that, the handprint is a side effect of what happened to her in the game/novel.

Metalrocks
5th Dec 2014, 01:15
The way I see that, the handprint is a side effect of what happened to her in the game/novel.

but then why didnt lara mention it or even pointed it out when sam got all cranky? she behaved like it has been always there. after saving sam the handprint was gone.

EliParker28
5th Dec 2014, 01:29
but then why didnt lara mention it or even pointed it out when sam got all cranky? she behaved like it has been always there. after saving sam the handprint was gone.

The way I saw Sam acting was that she didn't want to talk about it. So when Himiko resided back within Sam, the left over was the handprint, when it was gone I guess Miss Gail thought that Himiko disappeared for now from within Sam.

If it seems that I'm pulling things out of the air, because I am. I learn from Superhero comic books/film/tv shows that as a viewer I have to fill in the blanks a few times. Also I do believe that this Tomb Raider is inspired by Batman Begins/Arrow tv show.

Metalrocks
5th Dec 2014, 02:36
The way I saw Sam acting was that she didn't want to talk about it. So when Himiko resided back within Sam, the left over was the handprint, when it was gone I guess Miss Gail thought that Himiko disappeared for now from within Sam.

If it seems that I'm pulling things out of the air, because I am. I learn from Superhero comic books/film/tv shows that as a viewer I have to fill in the blanks a few times. Also I do believe that this Tomb Raider is inspired by Batman Begins/Arrow tv show.

very possible that it was written in such a way for the reader to fill in the gabs them self. just like with the book. i always assume its also to be revealed in the games. if ever.
just in the book, sam got possessed, got cured by whatever circumstances, then in the first comic she is all cranky, has a handprint and by the end she doenst have it at all. and this was never mentioned in both issues. i was expecting to read about it by the end of the book, but nothing.

so lets just grab things out of the air to make our own theories. but i also agree about the batman begins movie. cant comment on arrow since i dont watch tv.

EliParker28
5th Dec 2014, 05:36
very possible that it was written in such a way for the reader to fill in the gabs them self. just like with the book. i always assume its also to be revealed in the games. if ever.
just in the book, sam got possessed, got cured by whatever circumstances, then in the first comic she is all cranky, has a handprint and by the end she doenst have it at all. and this was never mentioned in both issues. i was expecting to read about it by the end of the book, but nothing.

so lets just grab things out of the air to make our own theories. but i also agree about the batman begins movie. cant comment on arrow since i dont watch tv.

I think with the 2nd / 3rd Arc of the comic book and Rise of the Tomb Raider will be better with the flow of the story as Rhianna Pratchett is on the writing staff.

Arrow tv show is on Netflix and it is a Superhero show that tries to be very ground with realism and to me shows how the current Tomb Raider would feel as a live action tv show/film.

Metalrocks
5th Dec 2014, 14:42
I think with the 2nd / 3rd Arc of the comic book and Rise of the Tomb Raider will be better with the flow of the story as Rhianna Pratchett is on the writing staff.

Arrow tv show is on Netflix and it is a Superhero show that tries to be very ground with realism and to me shows how the current Tomb Raider would feel as a live action tv show/film.

we will see what they have for us. im more curious how much connection there will be with the book and comics.

thanks for the clarification about arrow. still, will not bother to watch it. the only shows i watch is futurama and south park. SP i cna watch on the net and futurama i always get on dvd when available.

Weemanply109
5th Dec 2014, 17:18
to me shows how the current Tomb Raider would feel as a live action tv show/film.

Lara Croft isn't a "superhero" or a vigilante, tho. Nor is an arrow the only weapon in Lara's arsenal (she uses guns and other lethal weapons) nor is she limited by any "no-killing" moral dilemmas. She's very brutal at times and completely different to Arrow.

All together, Arrow is a very formulaic "enemy of the week" tv series and that kind of thing might not work too well with a Tomb Raider tv series, imo. It'd get stale very quickly. I'd love for a TR tv series to happen, though, with a big overarching storyline per season, thing.

WinterSoldierLTE
26th Dec 2014, 15:15
@Weemanply:
Did you ever track down any of the other books?

Weemanply109
26th Dec 2014, 22:15
@Weemanply:
Did you ever track down any of the other books?

Nope, not yet anyway. My priority right now is finding time to read the newest one first before initiating my search of the rest. :p

AdeleDazeem
27th Dec 2014, 18:47
You mean the Amulet of Power trilogy? At least, I think they were a trilogy together... Last year I ordered the first one, but ended up cancelling it because they couldn't find it. I see they have The Lost Cult for sale now, not sure whether they actually have it this time.:p

Weemanply109
29th Dec 2014, 19:36
You mean the Amulet of Power trilogy? At least, I think they were a trilogy together... Last year I ordered the first one, but ended up cancelling it because they couldn't find it. I see they have The Lost Cult for sale now, not sure whether they actually have it this time.:p

Sounds like an eternal struggle finding these books. :lol: I think the lesson to learn here is to snatch up any TR novels whilst we can in the future before it's too late. :p

WinterSoldierLTE
30th Dec 2014, 22:12
I think the lesson to learn here is to snatch up any TR novels whilst we can in the future before it's too late. :p

From my experience I'd say that could apply to most anything TR related. It always seems to go fast and can be kinda pricey years later in online stores.

Danielsun_
13th Jan 2015, 19:03
Just finished reading the book and I have to say I loved it, thoroughly impressed with the book. I had not heard of this particular author before and I've never read any books related to games (my own assumption that they would be half-arsed and non canon) but this book was great, I didn't mind that it was about Sam again (and yes a couple of times I lost what I was reading due to the jumps in places) but I think they needed a driving force for the narrative so Sam was an obvious choice, couldn't just have Lara gallivanting all over the globe just cause.

I really hope we see future books come out a series perhaps, great for character progression and story telling.

a_big_house
13th Jan 2015, 19:18
I really hope we see future books come out a series perhaps, great for character progression and story telling.

With pictures for the children like me :3

AdeleDazeem
13th Jan 2015, 20:33
Agreed. I hope this isn't the last Tomb Raider novel. I'm a booky and especially love game tie-ins ^^

Danielsun_
13th Jan 2015, 22:46
Here's to hoping :) I don't think that Lara Croft should be confined to just one medium. I think with the right author books could do really well and as previously mentioned perhaps a t.v series would be great, but for now I am just hoping for more books :)

WinterSoldierLTE
13th Jan 2015, 23:41
Yeah I could go for another TR book. I love reading, and as mentioned before, with the right author we'd get some great stories that might not always be possible to do in the games. These video game based books, though, go either way for me. I've not read all of them, but I try to pick up books based on the games I like. The 'Dead Space' books ('Martyr' & 'Catalyst') were fantastic. Best video game based books I've read. The 'Resident Evil' series of books from the mid-late 90's were pretty good. Kind of weird in some parts because the author (S.D. Perry) tried to explain all the weird ass locking mechanisms in a logical way, but for those early games good. The BioShock one ('Rapture') was good as well. The 'Doom' books from the early 90's were awesome.

It seems like a genre of books that's much like a comic book movie: There's a fine balance between keeping true to the source material and expanding it. There's appropriate times to weave a new thread, and others where its best to just stick to what's known.

AdeleDazeem
14th Jan 2015, 09:35
I still wanna read the Dead Space novels. So far you've given me some of the best recommendations (I owe you for Alien!) so I'm moving them up on the to-read list. :)

My personal favourites in game tie-ins are the 4 Mass Effect novels. The games and novels hold hands (Kai Leng and Kahlee Sanders became characters in ME3 for example) like a good tie-in should. There's also the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed novels that explain a lot about the main character and how TFU 2 works. The Old Republic books based on the MMO are freakishly good as well!

WinterSoldierLTE
19th Jan 2015, 02:27
There's also the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed novels that explain a lot about the main character and how TFU 2 works.

I've not played those games yet, but have been wanting to. Are the books word-for-word adaptations, or do they deviate? For some reason, I can find the books in a store more times than I can find the actual games.

AdeleDazeem
19th Jan 2015, 09:51
Not word for for word. It's more like expansions, since the game limits you to Starkillers perspective. But if you plan to play TFU II as well, reading the book of the first game is kind of necessary since there's a part of the plot TFU III could never solve (Thanks, Disney!). I haven't read the second book yet, but I plan to this year. :)

Tihocan
28th Jan 2015, 12:37
I finally got the opportunity to read Ten Thousand Immortals. As I was not brought up with the adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", here's a review:

A great explorer once said - "where the Hell's the exploration?!"

Writing:
Overall, the writing takes the form of a story aimed at young readers with a very short attention span. The descriptive aspects are very light, offering the bare minimum for understanding the scenes but occasionally breaking out into (seemingly unnecessary) spats of rough detail. There were many places (e.g. Lara's paranoid observation of the general public) where the author could have leapt into great detail to display her uncanny attention to it. Or an artefact. Or location. Unfortunately, the writing is basically do that, said this, unconvincing attitude towards whatever.

There are many, many general errors of creative writing throughout - repeatedly starting sentences with a pronoun, confusing movement, introducing characters and narrating from their viewpoint without any real purpose - that it feels like the story would be better suited to a graphic novel, which the author is better known for. Most annoyingly, the author switches context/perspective almost mid paragraph on many occasions, breaking the story's stride and flow. I found myself re-reading some sentences because I misinterpreted who the current actor was.

Ultimately, there's no "weave" between the pivotal characters and story arcs. There's vague interaction, until everyone is thrown together in the end.

Characterisation:
Lara's behaviour is greatly inconsistent, floating between panic induced hysteria at the sound of a car backfire to natural born killer in the event of actual risk of injury or death. Her friend Sam, being the sole driving force in her demanding quest to find an artefact that may or may not exist with little or no time to succeed, is all but forgotten while she hangs out with a few people she bumps into at the train station.
Her ultra paranoia on trains is explained with "as she always does" (weak) and is offset by her random trusting of students and tutors.

Lara is generally just not... Lara.

Sam herself is little more than a Himiko zombie who, most disappointingly, could have been utilised as a harrowing force on Lara's psyche. Imagine if Sam were properly possessed by the Himiko demon, flying into a violent rage every time Lara approached! The writer also makes the great error of "assumed knowledge" and we barely know who Sam is, or even why Lara cares about her so much. So why do we care about her?
Ares, the main antagonist of the book, is greatly under-represented. He makes an impression as the "guy who gets whatever he wants" but never really leaves a mark. Along with Kennard, the "anti-hero" and the seemingly pointless Mr Fife with his Dumb and Dumber bodyguards (of who Frink seems to be selectively immortal), there's no real worthwhile connection that Lara is a part of. In fact, Lara devolves from the shining light of mythical archaeology to little more than a chihuahua with a tennis ball everyone wants.

Overall, there is virtually no substance to any character in Ten Thousand Immortals.

Plot:
The whole concept is really nice. No, honestly - a hunt for fragments of the Golden Fleece to save her friend from demonic annihilation, stuck between two (three?) opposing factions... cool stuff. But it's a massive stretch from point A to point Fleece. From there it seems like excuses to go to random places around the globe.

I somewhat enjoyed the street chase, though some parts were tacky and others confusing. Police everywhere are obviously completely daft, as they are fooled and slipped past at every opportunity, and bystanders are gladly helpful to run people down or risk serious injury or death for this apparent bombshell at first sight.

The "twist" (did anyone not see that coming?) is almost laughable. And though the actual location of the artefacts are amusing, it felt much like the writer couldn't be bothered giving them a bit of grandeur.

Oh, and the author completely neglected the one major complaint about Tomb Raider, the game - EXPLORATION! A dig site, a boat, a few houses, and a hole in the ground, that's all we get.

In the end, I still don't know where Fife and Frink the immortal-but-not-an-Immortal fit into it all...

The End:
The ending itself was, to be blunt, inadequate. The focal point of Lara's endeavour - Sam - was basically resolved in "whatever I did, yep that fixed it" in a she'll be right mate fashion. Assumably meant to be 'mysterious' it comes off as an exhausted attempt at finishing a book when the fun "endgame" part was done. Ares' exit was anti-climatic, at best.
After the chore of reading the first 90% of the Ten Thousand Immortals, this abrupt ending is no reward.
As an aside, Kennard's mercy shot would have got himself killed, but let's just ignore physics for the sake of a plot.

TL,DR: Not a good book. Would not recommend.

What you've just said, is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I reserve the right to change this review when I'm perhaps less bitter about it, or find the motivation to look back through for positives.

Tecstar70
5th Jul 2015, 09:17
Just finished the book. According to the Introduction it provides a bridge between the first game and the comics as well as to RotTR. Its a fairly entertaining story on that I have been compelled to keep reading. In terms of depth, I think I agree with Tihocan that its style lends itself to comic book writing rather than a novel. I am not totally convinced of the premise of the reason to find the Golden Fleece but it is providing background to story elements that we may see in the games going forward.

Lara_Fan_84
6th Jul 2015, 14:03
I hope they do another book, I did enjoy this book when I read it. I love to read.

a_big_house
6th Jul 2015, 16:08
I hope they do another book, I did enjoy this book when I read it. I love to read.

They're doing a Lara Croft book, close enough for you? :D