PDA

View Full Version : Community Q&A – Camilla answers your questions about “Rise of the Tomb Raider”

Tomb Raider
23rd Jun 2014, 20:00
https://31.media.tumblr.com/7c2519bcf5a9c6f795489d96888a309a/tumblr_inline_n7n0cxq8C41qij4lt.jpg

Community Q&A – Camilla answers your questions about “Rise of the Tomb Raider”

Thanks to everyone who submitted their questions for Camilla. Many of them unfortunately can’t be answered just yet, since we aren’t releasing much information about the game. However, we’ll do another Q&A at a later date when we can talk more about the story. On to Camilla’s answers!

Does playing Lara Croft through performance capture bring you the same experience it would normally do if you were acting on a live-action set? What are the pros and cons of performance capture acting for you? [- Justin Bailargeon]

Motion capture actually feels very different to being on set. The pro being that you don't have to be so aware of where a camera is and where you're positioned in relation to it, as the camera is literally attached to your head and covers the room 360 degrees around you. The con of mo-cap is not having a set furnished around you to make it feel more real. You're not actually out in the woods, or on a sound stage that is built to look like an island. The room is pretty bleak. However- it does enable you to really use your imagination. And sometimes your imagination is as scary if not more scary than anything someone could build for a set. You are pushed to play out your own world in your head.

Which comes first, mo-capping the scene or voicing it? Because you showed us a pic tonight of the ADR booth! [- Laura Louise]

Scenes are either mo-capped or captured in a V.O. booth but rarely a mix of both. I would say the more character driven scenes that involve more than one person are mo-capped. Or those scenes that are defining moments for Lara are also captured in a mo-cap suit. However- there are lots of short little sequences that can be executed easily in a VO booth. Whether I film one before the other? I’d say on most occasions motion capture work takes priority.

Did you learn something from Lara? [- Ariane Pollak]

Lara is resilient. I think that is something I learned from playing the character. She is always pushing forward in the most dire situations. That takes guts and I'm not sure everyone has the courage to do what she does.

Since doing the first voice over, how has it changed your perspective in gaming and what else can you bring to Lara in the next game and also did you play tomb raider and what was it like to hear your own voice while playing a character? [- Clare Elizabeth]

Before working on tomb Raider I had no idea the years of hard work that goes into making a game. I have so much respect for everyone involved in the process and their passion. Now when I see a trailer for a new game I don't just think "Oh that looks cool.", I think “How long did that take to make? What was the motion capture like for that? Who directed that?" Etc. I see the work behind it. In the next game I'm excited to bring with me Lara’s history from the previous game. What haunts her now. There is a weight that is there for her that wasn't there before. She is forever changed and that is interesting to play. When playing the first game it was especially weird to hear my voice dying. There are awful, awful ways to be killed and it was a bit grotesque to watch it all play out.

Do you have any opportunity to use your skills from Lara Croft's motion capture in real life? [- Adam Soroczynski]

Funnily enough I have taken archery lessons since the last game. It was something I enjoyed as a kid and it re-inspired me to have fun with it again. I've only done it a handful of times but I really love it. I'll have to tweet a pic next time I'm there.

BONUS: Are the rumours about Tomb Raider novels true? [- Lucyna Danieyko]

I can’t say much right now, other than keep your eyes open for some news in the very near future – I’m quite sure you’ll be very pleased!

Rai
23rd Jun 2014, 20:08
Does anyone have a link to to that Facebook page that doesn't mean having to sign in?

TRF copy pasted the entire thing, but a proper link would be nice.

The Q&A in full:

Community Q&A – Camilla answers your questions about “Rise of the Tomb Raider”

Thanks to everyone who submitted their questions for Camilla. Many of them unfortunately can’t be answered just yet, since we aren’t releasing much information about the game. However, we’ll do another Q&A at a later date when we can talk more about the story. On to Camilla’s answers!

Does playing Lara Croft through performance capture bring you the same experience it would normally do if you were acting on a live-action set? What are the pros and cons of performance capture acting for you? [- Justin Bailargeon]

Motion capture actually feels very different to being on set. The pro being that you don't have to be so aware of where a camera is and where you're positioned in relation to it, as the camera is literally attached to your head and covers the room 360 degrees around you. The con of mo-cap is not having a set furnished around you to make it feel more real. You're not actually out in the woods, or on a sound stage that is built to look like an island. The room is pretty bleak. However- it does enable you to really use your imagination. And sometimes your imagination is as scary if not more scary than anything someone could build for a set. You are pushed to play out your own world in your head.

Which comes first, mo-capping the scene or voicing it? Because you showed us a pic tonight of the ADR booth! [- Laura Louise]

Scenes are either mo-capped or captured in a V.O. booth but rarely a mix of both. I would say the more character driven scenes that involve more than one person are mo-capped. Or those scenes that are defining moments for Lara are also captured in a mo-cap suit. However- there are lots of short little sequences that can be executed easily in a VO booth. Whether I film one before the other? I’d say on most occasions motion capture work takes priority.

Did you learn something from Lara? [- Ariane Pollak]

Lara is resilient. I think that is something I learned from playing the character. She is always pushing forward in the most dire situations. That takes guts and I'm not sure everyone has the courage to do what she does.

Since doing the first voice over, how has it changed your perspective in gaming and what else can you bring to Lara in the next game and also did you play tomb raider and what was it like to hear your own voice while playing a character? [- Clare Elizabeth]

Before working on tomb Raider I had no idea the years of hard work that goes into making a game. I have so much respect for everyone involved in the process and their passion. Now when I see a trailer for a new game I don't just think "Oh that looks cool.", I think “How long did that take to make? What was the motion capture like for that? Who directed that?" Etc. I see the work behind it. In the next game I'm excited to bring with me Lara’s history from the previous game. What haunts her now. There is a weight that is there for her that wasn't there before. She is forever changed and that is interesting to play. When playing the first game it was especially weird to hear my voice dying. There are awful, awful ways to be killed and it was a bit grotesque to watch it all play out.

Do you have any opportunity to use your skills from Lara Croft's motion capture in real life? [- Adam Soroczynski]

Funnily enough I have taken archery lessons since the last game. It was something I enjoyed as a kid and it re-inspired me to have fun with it again. I've only done it a handful of times but I really love it. I'll have to tweet a pic next time I'm there.

BONUS: Are the rumours about Tomb Raider novels true? [- Lucyna Danieyko]

I can’t say much right now, other than keep your eyes open for some news in the very near future – I’m quite sure you’ll be very pleased!

Driber
23rd Jun 2014, 20:24
^ I'm assuming the copypaste is correct, so I've put it in the OP here :)

Ellie92
23rd Jun 2014, 20:58
Hmm... :/ I was hoping for TR10 info. I mean, this is what I can hear from every other mocap actor as well.

Rai
23rd Jun 2014, 21:11
Yeah, it's a shame more wasn't revealed about the game, but it is still early days since the reveal. CD have ToO to promote, so I guess they'll concentrate on that first.

RybatGrimes
23rd Jun 2014, 23:28
This is very misleading honestly. "Camilla answers your questions about 'Rise of the Tomb Raider'" lol no she didnt, they didn't talk about the sequel at all. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but this was a bit pointless really.. this would've been a nice way to tease some details and gameplay features but it's just the same old stuff we pretty much already know. :hmm:

I do still enjoy all the little tid bits and BtS info about mo-cap and VA, because I find all that stuff incredibly interesting and I do hope we get to see more of that kind of BtS footage stuff like other games have been doing recently, but this was just kind of random and didn't shed any light on anything about the sequel like they said.

Treeble
23rd Jun 2014, 23:38
I'm guessing there's a very big NDA contract binding her at all times, which is why I'm guessing she'd be all too evasive if any relevant questions actually made past the initial filter.

Still, for what it's worth, I enjoyed reading and I like the vibe I get from her answers. Not sure why people would ask her about the novels though, lol. We need more info on that asap and Bradygames have not placed anything about them on their site just yet.

RybatGrimes
23rd Jun 2014, 23:43
I'm guessing there's a very big NDA contract binding her at all times, which is why I'm guessing she'd be all too evasive if any relevant questions actually made past the initial filter. .

Yeah exactly, so like, why would they do a Q&A about RotTR when she can't say anything about it? The logic there, I just. :p

Treeble
23rd Jun 2014, 23:45
Well... Camilla. Can you tell me that's not good enough a reason? ;) lol

(I do see what you mean though.)

Rai
24th Jun 2014, 00:49
This is very misleading honestly. "Camilla answers your questions about 'Rise of the Tomb Raider'" lol no she didnt, they didn't talk about the sequel at all. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but this was a bit pointless really.. this would've been a nice way to tease some details and gameplay features but it's just the same old stuff we pretty much already know. :hmm:

I do still enjoy all the little tid bits and BtS info about mo-cap and VA, because I find all that stuff incredibly interesting and I do hope we get to see more of that kind of BtS footage stuff like other games have been doing recently, but this was just kind of random and didn't shed any light on anything about the sequel like they said.
I see your point. I find this behind the scenes stuff really insightful and interesting. That's why I liked the Final Hours videos last time. This is almost the reverse of that. CD saved this kind of stuff 'till quite late leading up to release and now we're getting the 'making of' stuff first. I don't blame Camilla though, she was probably told to call it a Q&A on the game. That sentence though 'we aren't releasing much information about the game.' seems very ominous and almost final :eek:. Like ever?!? I know that's not the case but they could have added a simple yet effect three letter word: yet. Yet is the new soon http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif.

I wonder if they'll do more Q&As with different team members. This one was Camilla's turn, next time Rhianna? (as it says another Q&A when they can talk more about the story).

Metalrocks
24th Jun 2014, 02:38
what you guys think. was hoping for some infos about the next game. not much since its too early but at least some hints or teasers.
its interesting how she sees things from her view for acting but about the game. but nope.

a_big_house
24th Jun 2014, 08:07
Well at least we all now know how much effort Camilla puts in to delver us an emotional performance :cool:

:lol: Yeahhh

pidipidi39
24th Jun 2014, 15:13
I don't mean to sound harsh, but while I enjoyed the read, I have to agree with 220_Volts: it was kinda disappointing.
I was expecting to discover some stuff about the game, but oh well :p

Yet is the new soon http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif
:lol: