PDA

View Full Version : Less of a Movie, More of a Game

daventry
22nd Jun 2014, 16:26
In the Classics, you could Climb/Dive/Swim/Shoot/Sprint/Do Things without worrying about a QTE or Button Mashing event, plus now Games seem to End with a Cinematic Event without you worrying about Killing the Final Final Boss.

Is this How you want ROTTR with Whiny Lara, or do you prefer the Classics where its ALL YOU like how Core Design dropped you smack dab in the middle of nowhere and riding of yelling: YOUR ON YOUR OWN DUDE with No Hints what so ever.

How about the fact that now when there are Death Scenes, the Game grays out and Loads to the last Check Point in witch are also two of the most Hated Features. Now i dont mind that the Game Loads, but STOP graying out the Screen so i can see it please and PLEASE PLEASE let me Save/Load the Game whenever i please.

Error96_
22nd Jun 2014, 16:56
I will say that the QTE's in TR2013 were a lot better than the repeat button mashing that spoils some games. With sequences like the waterfall there was a logic to what you needed to press rather than just a button appearing on screen as a reaction time test. Having said that I don't like anything that serves as the game playing itself or removes player control so I vote less intrusion.

IvanaKC
22nd Jun 2014, 16:57
You should exclude sarcasm from the poll and form the poll option differently. There are people who like the way TR2013 is played.

I, on the other hand, am not one of them. I think there was a discussion some time ago about the game being too much like an interactive movie or something. :scratch:

pidipidi39
22nd Jun 2014, 17:03
In the first TRs you had no more control that you have in TR2013. Sure, there were a lot less cinematics and you didn't have hints; but what you used to do in those games is the same thing you do in the new TRs: you move from point A to point B. You never had really choices in gameplay (apart from the ability of selecting levels in TRIII and the interactive dialogues in AoD, but AoD itself was a very cinematic game too).

Also, I like cinematic games, but I'm not voting because I don't think TR2013 plays out for me :p

daventry
22nd Jun 2014, 17:10
What do you mean in the First TR's, because you had Full Control on anything with Minor Cutscenes here and there. I think you are confusing yourself with the Trilogy. TRA TRL TRU

AOD dident felt like a Movie at all, the Only Cinematic you had were Dialogue Choices witch were fun.

d1n0_xD
22nd Jun 2014, 17:20
You should exclude sarcasm from the poll and form the poll option differently. There are people who like the way TR2013 is played.

This. Everything is either black or white with you, Daventry, I noticed.

I like the way TR2013 handled gameplay, and it wasn't as OP explained... We killed the final boss, didn't we? I don't know about you, but I felt the big dude boss was pretty good, and gunning down Mathias was pretty cool :)

TR is a game, and nothing else, no QTE can make it more of a movie and less of a game... Unless you're talking Heavy Rain QTEs.

And just because a game has cutscenes, doesn't mean it's not a game, jeez.

Jurre
22nd Jun 2014, 17:27
Tr9 is a modern game, it handles storytelling the way other modern games do, and I wouldn't want it in any other way.

a_big_house
22nd Jun 2014, 19:07
I can't really vote... I like the cinematic stuff (such as the whole sky boat sequence) but then I dislike QTEs (such as the escape from the Scavenger Den), so... Yeah...

pidipidi39
22nd Jun 2014, 19:16
What do you mean in the First TR's, because you had Full Control on anything with Minor Cutscenes here and there. I think you are confusing yourself with the Trilogy. TRA TRL TRU
I don't know what you mean with ''having full control on anything'' because if you really mean that the player was able to control everything in the game, then it's not true (the auto-aim is one of the many examples).

In the past TRs (LAU trilogy included) you could run, jump, climb, swim, shoot, pick objects... etc.
In TR2013 you can run, jump, climb, shoot, pick objetcs... etc.
Yeah, the only thing you can't do anymore is swimming (but I think and I hope Lara will swim in ROTTR).

Sure, in the first games there were a lot less cinematics and there weren't QTEs, but that has nothing to do with the player's control on the game.
TR2013 (just like a lot of other games out there nowadays) has several cutscenes but when it comes to gameplay (differently from other games) TR2013 gives the player a lot of freedom of movement and stuff.

You may say it has it has a more linear gameplay, but then again, that has nothing with the player's control; that is just the style of the game.

AOD dident felt like a Movie at all, the Only Cinematic you had were Dialogue Choices witch were fun.
I never said it felt like a movie :p
I simply said it was a very cinematic games, and it is (or at least, it was for its age):
1) It's got a good number of cutscenes
2) Its gameplay is linear (apart from the Hall of Seasons)
3) There are a lot of dialogues
4) Generally speaking it has a big focus on story

Btw, by no means being a cinematic/story driven game is something bad.
I love AoD, and I love story driven games :D

And just because a game has cutscenes, doesn't mean it's not a game, jeez.
This. :thumb:

Tr9 is a modern game, it handles storytelling the way other modern games do, and I wouldn't want it in any other way.
And this. :thumb:

Error96_
22nd Jun 2014, 20:46
I don't know what you mean with ''having full control on anything'' because if you really mean that the player was able to control everything in the game, then it's not true (the auto-aim is one of the many examples).

In TR1 when you enter a combat situation you choose what weapon to use, what angle to approach at, if to hide and try take an enemy at distance/ charge in there, perform acrobatic dodges. Auto-aim I think brings control in letting you focus on exactly Lara's moves.

Giving you an comparison say the battle against Larson in TR1 vs TRA. IN TR1 you have to swim across the pool, find a spot to get out, draw weapon and try to dodge his bullets. In TRA you reach the pool and have to press a series of buttons at the right time. Lara is throwing punches and I'm not controlling her to do that .. the game is automatically doing that. When the complex system of control in a game is replaced by press button A now, press button B now, press button C three times just because an icon appears on the screen. There is no thought or strategy in that type of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYW6dKMilZk

The scavenger den was perhaps an example of how to do QTE better as the wriggle move and boulder dodging felt logical with the control system but wolf den and the final Mathias battle were examples of press button A, press button B...style. That isn't a great way to fight a boss battle.

pidipidi39
22nd Jun 2014, 21:13
In TR1 when you enter a combat situation you choose what weapon to use, what angle to approach at, if to hide and try take an enemy at distance/ charge in there, perform acrobatic dodges. Auto-aim I think brings control in letting you focus on exactly Lara's moves
But that's the same in the reboot (except for the aim).

Giving you an comparison say the battle against Larson in TR1 vs TRA. IN TR1 you have to swim across the pool, find a spot to get out, draw weapon and try to dodge his bullets. In TRA you reach the pool and have to press a series of buttons at the right time. Lara is throwing punches and I'm not controlling her to do that .. the game is automatically doing that. When the complex system of control in a game is replaced by press button A now, press button B now, press button C three times just because an icon appears on the screen. There is no thought or strategy in that type of gameplay.

That's very true; in that case the game takes control away from the player :)
But it's also true that the game is not only made of QTEs. TRA in particular has a lot of pure gameplay sessions.

Also, I believe that it is a matter of liking. You can like QTEs or you can dislike them; I personally don't mind them if they're not too many: they give some scenes a cinematic feeling but still they are (even if minimally) interactive :)
However, if the game would have a QTE every minute, yes, I would find it annoying; but that has never been the case for TR.

Valenka
22nd Jun 2014, 23:15

Agreed.
There's absolutely no need to have a snide remark in the poll option; Agree, Disagree, No Opinion are fine. No need to insult people for making a certain choice.

RybatGrimes
22nd Jun 2014, 23:22
Again with these biased poll options? T_T

Rai
22nd Jun 2014, 23:32
I can't really vote... I like the cinematic stuff (such as the whole sky boat sequence) but then I dislike QTEs (such as the escape from the Scavenger Den), so... Yeah...

Same. Take out QTEs, and I'd be happy. Also, I'm not sure if melee moves and cranking door opening wheels count as QTEs, so something similar to that in RoTTR wouldn't be entirely unwelcome. Though opening the odd door in the regular way would also be welcome :p.

Also, I'm not keen on those poll options. The one for cinematic style is biased in a negative light, where as the 'classic' style is the positive, like that option is the 'correct' one. And there's no in between option. As well as what I say above, I never played Core's games imagining myself as Lara. Lara was always the protagonist and I was the observer only 'playing' her adventure.

Daventry, you need to learn to make your polls less biased. That's what polls are for to offer choices that may appeal to many POVs. Of course you can't cater to everyone, but neither should the options be so black and white.

Driber
22nd Jun 2014, 23:35
Poll closed. Next time please keep the questions/options neutral, daventry.

Oh and please stop linking to other forums willy nilly. If there's no need for it, it's advertising, and we don't allow that.

Metalrocks
23rd Jun 2014, 08:44
yep, certainly no more QTEs. i dont mind cutscenes as long we still can ply a lot. unless they go the path of half life were there are no cut scenes but locked off areas that you cant do anything besides listen to the conversations.

a_big_house
23rd Jun 2014, 10:58
Same. Take out QTEs, and I'd be happy. Also, I'm not sure if melee moves and cranking door opening wheels count as QTEs, so something similar to that in RoTTR wouldn't be entirely unwelcome. Though opening the odd door in the regular way would also be welcome :p.

Ahh, no, doors, winches and pieces of rebar lodged in Lara's stomach are QTEs I can deal with :D

daventry
23rd Jun 2014, 17:06
Guess it proves the Game Companies Theories that the Generation of today isent so smart no more like in the old days, you need Help in every manner. Seriously is this True at all, are the Younger Generation just Dumb Lazy without even trying anymore.

Classic TR Games Never had any Difficulty Settings, the Enemies were Difficult on their own, so you just played the Game where you had to Think on what to do with No fancy Button Mashing and No QTE.

You Always played the Games to the End, yet when you think the Final Boss of the Game was it, my Friend you are so wrong, now you have to Escape the Crumbling Level or Climb a High Altitude for the Real Ending to begin.

Let us play the game how we like it. Don't show us how to play it.

The playground could be the best, shiniest, newest and biggest playground in the world. But the way you explore it makes a big difference. What Crystal's games lack compared to the classics is the freedom for the gamer to do things their own way.

Crystal want to show you their way, but they don't let you stray too far. Core was the cool, laid-back parent who let you into the playground on your own and left you to your own devices where you were able to explore every nook and cranny there was to see.

For me, the problem with CD's games has always been you have to play how they want you to play. You have to go very fast until something tells you to turn. Do what we tell you to when we tell you to do it. Press X to not die.

You don't get to play, you get to respond. No no no, you can't go off-book and stealth this area, you have to shoot shoot shoot! Because we're going to spawn enemies until you die.

d1n0_xD
23rd Jun 2014, 17:21
Let us play the game how we like it. Don't show us how to play it.

You're generalizing right now, you can't speak in the name of all the people. And I think TR never pushed you around, you could always do things how you want it. Sure, enemy encounters were kinda iffy (on the whole they-always-know-where-you-are thing), but exploring was spot on.

For me, the problem with CD's games has always been you have to play how they want you to play. You have to go very fast until something tells you to turn. Do what we tell you to when we tell you to do it. Press X to not die.

The whole purpose of the hubs was for you to stray of the beaten path if you wanted to. Sure, I want even bigger hubs and even more options in RotTR, but I didn't have the feeling I was pushed around, I always did things when and how I wanted... And the whole purpose of pulling out a pole out of your abdomen was to immerse, I think that QTE put you into control, instead of just watching the cutscene... And like someone said, the few QTEs in the beginning had sense and were logical and once you came out of that initial cavern, the whole island opens up before you and it's pretty cool from that point onward, IMO.

a_big_house
23rd Jun 2014, 17:25
...Let us play the game how we like it...

Erm. Have you missed the parts where everyone who has posted in this thread has said what they like?

I'll just ignore the rest of your extremely rude post.

daventry
23rd Jun 2014, 17:34
I was talking in general, i wasent talking to the Posters and i know some agree with what im saying and im not rude, im stating facts.

Ive been Begging since 2007 to let us play TR the way Core Design made it, Shockingly TRU came close to be a Core Game for me with how Awesome the PC Controls and Swimming were.

Theres a Review by me of TR2013 in how i Praised the Game, while giving its Flaws. I admit Crystal/Square is Listening to the Fans, but they arent Learning from their Mistakes on Hand Holding.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1951341&postcount=297

If you look at All my Posts, i Never Complain about the Gameplay themselves, because with each TR that CD/SE Improves, they leave 1 Crucial Flaw that they dont want to give Optional Settings for and thats the Hand Holding part. Sure leave them in, but let there be Settings to turn them Off.

Valenka
23rd Jun 2014, 17:40
There's a fine line between an opinion and a fact.

Driber
23rd Jun 2014, 19:46
poll redone with neutral wording and reset

daventry
23rd Jun 2014, 19:56
Much better, thank you :wave:

Error96_
23rd Jun 2014, 21:55
poll redone with neutral wording and reset

Okay the original poll was biast but this now doesn't ask the question at all. Surely the question was if you want a more cinematic approach or less. Not do you like CD's approach to TR(2013)?

Hang on ... the whole OP meaning changed? It now just seems like Classic TR vs modern TR. Well I think the classics are some of the best games in history and even now I think their construction and atmosphere is incredible to a level where they serve as a benchmark for any modern adventure game to compete with. As I said I don't like too much automation or hints in games. For the save game some method to load old files to prevent glitches would be good. I think using the word 'whiny' to describe Lara may trigger a counter response in the poll just like I would feel more like defending the classic Lara when people say 'teflon'. I thought the emotion was okay if a little inconsistent but I really miss some dark humour to cut through the seriousness of the rest of the dialogue.

Driber
23rd Jun 2014, 22:02
^ Talk to the OP. When you guys settle on an even better wording, I'll edit the poll.

Metalrocks
24th Jun 2014, 02:46
chose classic since i dont want any QTEs in general. cutscenes, as i have mentioned earlier, are fine by me as long we still can play a lot.

Tihocan
24th Jun 2014, 05:01
Guess it proves the Game Companies Theories that the Generation of today isent so smart no more like in the old days.
You don't get to play, you get to respond. No no no, you can't go off-book and stealth this area, you have to shoot shoot shoot! Because we're going to spawn enemies until you die.

To be perfectly honest, I find this offensive. Perhaps not for myself, but for everyone you generalise in your post, with your so called "facts".
Your opinion is just that, it's not the gospel you keep touting it as.

How about you have a crack at Dark Souls, and tell me again about hand holding.

I like a good bit of cinematic in my games. You make it sound that sporadic cinematography is a degradation on the game rather than a complement which, frankly, is utter bollocks.

And for Glob's sake, stop it with the random capitalisation in your sentences. It's unnerving.

daventry
24th Jun 2014, 06:41
I dident mean to offend, but through the Years, thats the Message ive been getting from CD/SE that they Generalize People in thinking your not smart to think for yourselves in witch you need Hints and White Walls and Colored Objects and Cinematic views to just remind you where to go or watch out for that Creature or depending on QTE's.

Im Fighting for you guys by telling CD/SE to allow People to Explore and Discover for themselves and not hold your hand so much and thats what the Classic Games did. You were on your own and Core Design Respected your abilities.

I dont hate CD/SE, i infact Love TRL/TRU if you take away the mess from those Games, because there were infact a Story in there and i would Love to see Remakes of those 2 Games.

Crystal had a Story with TRL

When we heard about TRL with Excalibur and Avalon, we thought it was going to be Another Classic TR Game made by Americans called Crystal Dynamics

So we made Threads and Discussions and Ideas about Avalon/Arthur/Excalibur when we assumed we were going through this Gate to a Mythical Land.

The Game and Story would've been Great if it was about Amanda/Rutland/Winston/Lara and the Dais Allone, then Lara and Amanda could've gone through the Gate together (like in TRU) Amanda goes on her Rampage Revenge and Lara shoots her in the Leg and leave her to die. (TRU Deleted Cutscene)

TRU wasent even needed if you cut out Mommy/Natla/Amanda/Zip/Alister/Doppleganger, then the Game would've been great if it was about Lara and the Hammer and also with Peter/Jessica and the Eye of Odin.

The Girl gets Possessed by the Staff of Odin and Peter asks the Help of Lara Croft and she goes on a Journey to find the Hammer and stops Ragnarok (A Real Beast) Summoned by Jessica and then Lara saves the Girl.

IvanaKC
24th Jun 2014, 07:07
Now, these option are far better.

I voted for classic approach because of reason I stated before - I'm not impressed by playing an interactive movie.

I dident mean to offend, but through the Years, thats the Message ive been getting from CD/SE that they Generalize People in thinking your not smart to think for yourselves in witch you need Hints and White Walls and Colored Objects and Cinematic views to just remind you where to go or watch out for that Creature or depending on QTE's.

I do believe most of us get your point, but it doesn't mean you have to be harsh with hating. White walls are part of TR for some time, we can't change that. But, you don't have to use survivor instinct in the game at all, it truly is optional. ;)
As for QTEs, well, I'm not a fan of that either. It feels to me like it takes part of the gameplay away. For example, that first QTE in TR2013 was where Lara had to climb as soon as possible to get out of the cave. I wouldn't mind if I could climb out using standard controls and watching out for falling stones myself...

Metalrocks
24th Jun 2014, 07:15
Now, these option are far better.

I voted for classic approach because of reason I stated before - I'm not impressed by playing an interactive movie.

I do believe most of us get your point, but it doesn't mean you have to be harsh with hating. White walls are part of TR for some time, we can't change that. But, you don't have to use survivor instinct in the game at all, it truly is optional. ;)
As for QTEs, well, I'm not a fan of that either. It feels to me like it takes part of the gameplay away. For example, that first QTE in TR2013 was where Lara had to climb as soon as possible to get out of the cave. I wouldn't mind if I could climb out using standard controls and watching out for falling stones myself...

pretty much that. QTEs make you press buttons you would not actually press. i would have pressed W and when ever a rock came down, i would have either used A or D to avoid it in my own time.

chriss_99
24th Jun 2014, 18:18
There is nothing wrong with the game being cinematic and story-driven. However, I think we should discuss whether the game should be heavily scripted or not.
In my opinion, most modern games are very linear. They don't give you many chances to explore the world or deal with certain situations in your own unique way.
Tomb Raider reboot dealt with this matter pretty smoothly due to hubs that you could fast travel to and explore at almost any time in the game.
It gave me the feeling of an open world game where I can do things as I please.
I hope CD will elaborate on that idea making the hubs in ROTTR even bigger filled with side missions, tombs and collectibles.
The thing I miss about the old Tomb Raider games is that I was forced to think and use my imagination to solve puzzles and explore levels.
Nowadays, I'm constantly reminded to press X whenever I try to pick up ammo, pull levers or interact with certain objects.
I guess this the approach to modern gaming. Too bad but I doubt we'll ever see the return of the past era.

d1n0_xD
24th Jun 2014, 18:42
There is nothing wrong with the game being cinematic and story-driven. However, I think we should discuss whether the game should be heavily scripted or not.
In my opinion, most modern games are very linear. They don't give you many chances to explore the world or deal with certain situations in your own unique way.
Tomb Raider reboot dealt with this matter pretty smoothly due to hubs that you could fast travel to and explore at almost any time in the game.
I hope CD will elaborate on that idea making the hubs in ROTTR even bigger filled with side missions, tombs and collectibles.

This, this, this, I'm replaying TR right now and I'm exploring every nook and cranny, trying to do better than last time ^^ CD, keep hubs, make them bigger and lots of content, collectibles, journals, relics, I love it all :D

The thing I miss about the old Tomb Raider games is that I was forced to think and use my imagination to solve puzzles and explore levels.
Nowadays, I'm constantly reminded to press X whenever I try to pick up ammo, pull levers or interact with certain objects.
I guess this the approach to modern gaming. Too bad but I doubt we'll ever see the return of the past era.

But the classics also used the Press Button approach to pick up things and flip levers and stuff :scratch:

pidipidi39
24th Jun 2014, 18:46

This, this, this, I'm replaying TR right now and I'm exploring every nook and cranny, trying to do better than last time ^^ CD, keep hubs, make them bigger and lots of content, collectibles, journals, relics, I love it all :D
They already confirmed they're going for way bigger hubs in ROTTR :D

chriss_99
24th Jun 2014, 19:09
But the classics also used the Press Button approach to pick up things and flip levers and stuff :scratch:

Yes, but in the new games when you approach ammo or whatever, a hint button appears to remind you to press X, for example.

d1n0_xD
24th Jun 2014, 19:17
^ Oh, I see what you mean... There should be an option to switch off those in RotTR :)

Andy64
27th Jun 2014, 12:32
I don't like a game that tells you too much exactly what to do or has you do too much of boss battle in a QTE mode. TR (2013) wasn't bad for it as with some recent games but I wouldn't want CD to push towards that direction. I liked that the hubs let you explore a bit more. It still was too linear but far better than TRU for that. It would have been nice if you could have picked up something to chop the bushes down later on and then get new sections to visit.

In the shanty town every time you beat a battle sequence you would walk into the next area .. cutscene .. battle sequence. It didn't allow enough exploration between battles and starting each battle in an area with a cutscene disrupts the flow a bit.

d1n0_xD
27th Jun 2014, 13:15
I think with TR2013, the linearity was brought to a minimum... And I played the classics, and I still think TR2013 was the least linear TR game in the franchise, both combat and exploration-wise.

sawyerburke
27th Jun 2014, 21:18
I dident mean to offend, but through the Years, thats the Message ive been getting from CD/SE that they Generalize People in thinking your not smart to think for yourselves in witch you need Hints and White Walls and Colored Objects and Cinematic views to just remind you where to go

Except everything you've said up to now has been you generalizing.

Also, I think the classics had a different way of showing the player where to go. The structure of the classics are very blocky, so you look at a ledge and think "i can probably climb that" if they threw us into the reboot with absolutely no visual language to tell us what we could climb, it'd take the average player years to get up to the Wolf's cave to retrieve the pack.

IvanaKC
28th Jun 2014, 20:39
I think with TR2013, the linearity was brought to a minimum... And I played the classics, and I still think TR2013 was the least linear TR game in the franchise, both combat and exploration-wise.

And how is that? If any game points out where you have to go all the time, it's TR2013. I noticed linearity especially in combat - it shows you exactly what to press to finish the enemy and after some time of playing, you even know when this will happen.

Linearity would be brought to minimum with an open world (and better AI), but I don't mind having levels because:
a) it's TR
b) linearity doesn't necessary mean that the game is boring

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2014, 20:53
Well, of course it can have its linearity brought down even further, but I was talking about TR games, out of all the TR games, TR2013 is the least linear, IMO.

Telekill
28th Jun 2014, 21:40
Considering I really enjoyed the newest game, I say let CD do what they're going to do. They have my confidence. The only thing I would add this time is a tomb or two that requires underwater swimming to gain access too. I miss that from the classics.

BridgetFisher
2nd Jul 2014, 08:50
I didnt like how she ran around with a bow, plus the camera angles in game how it moved around in the cutscenes so much made me nauseous. I think that is why people didnt buy the game when it came out, when people saw the trailers it looked like the camera was on a boat being held by a ten year old on a sugar rush, it looked very unprofessional.

d1n0_xD
2nd Jul 2014, 11:51
^ What people are you talking about?

Telekill
2nd Jul 2014, 12:52
I didnt like how she ran around with a bow, plus the camera angles in game how it moved around in the cutscenes so much made me nauseous. I think that is why people didnt buy the game when it came out, when people saw the trailers it looked like the camera was on a boat being held by a ten year old on a sugar rush, it looked very unprofessional.

Huh?

I thought the movement was well done and frankly the game sold well. In fact, I believe it was the best selling Tomb Raider to date.

Classico
2nd Jul 2014, 17:04
The game has become extremely automated and overtly cinematic when contrasted with the classical iterations, and inline with the modern gaming trends. No longer are you allowed a personal connection to the adventure (as the classics rendered to you if you were so inclined), you are now forced to play the game as the one who turns each page of Lara's story. But whatever, that's the modern way for the modern gamer.

d1n0_xD
2nd Jul 2014, 17:22
^ Can you elaborate on how it has become extremely automated? And how are we forced to play the game as you wrote?

Treeble
2nd Jul 2014, 20:12
I say let CD do what they're going to do. They have my confidence.Pretty much this. They didn't take much (if any?) fan input in regards to the reboot as opposed to, say, Underworld. May them improve on the basis they've established, as opposed of throwing everything out of the window because of this or that. :)

IvanaKC
2nd Jul 2014, 20:32
The game has become extremely automated and overtly cinematic when contrasted with the classical iterations, and inline with the modern gaming trends. No longer are you allowed a personal connection to the adventure (as the classics rendered to you if you were so inclined), you are now forced to play the game as the one who turns each page of Lara's story. But whatever, that's the modern way for the modern gamer.

This is a radical post. However, I have to agree with the 'too cinematic' part. I realize that they wanted to make a fluent game, but it became too fluent and, like you said, it turned out be automated.

RybatGrimes
2nd Jul 2014, 21:34
Even though I don't think poll options really pertain to what the actual thread was intended to be about, I just voted for the modern approach because:

Considering I really enjoyed the newest game, I say let CD do what they're going to do. They have my confidence.

namitokiwa
4th Jul 2014, 07:59
I think I like both, can not decide. But if I should, I will choose the modern.
I love action and auto cover system with freely shooting.
I love the environments that stick tightly to the story, having some documents, GPS and secret Tombs.
I love some moments such as Lara stuck by traps and use her bow to kill Wolves, climbing towers, plane crash (in those scenes there is no QTEs).
I love the exp system, make the game more variety on gameplay.
I feel fine with QTEs, because in TR 2013, I found it cool.

What I don't like is the puzzles are so easy, no traps, a lot of shooting rather than sneaking around.
But I enjoyed TR 2013 a lot since Legend.

So I think all they need are improving the puzzles, bring back some amazing traps to use our keyboard/ controller as best as they could. Bring more optionals when face to face with enemies (sneak, or pass by without killing enemies, or rambo). Bring a real boss for the end of the game, a really challenge one.

ps: sorry for my bad at English.

d1n0_xD
4th Jul 2014, 09:23
^ True dat, true dat :worship: