PDA

View Full Version : new forum skins

Driber
21st Jun 2014, 11:37
Hey folks,

We have new forum skins dedicated to the ROTTR theme!

And as always, we have a light and dark variant.

jvuorq_tr10_forum_skin_preview.jpg

The light variant will be the default one for the TR10 section. If you'd like to switch to the dark version, go to your User CP > Edit Options and then select "Rise of the Tomb Raider Dark" from the Forum Skin selector near the bottom of the page.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

http://driber.net/os/skin-selector.gif

And what's more, you can also use the light skin and the dark skin in other areas of Eidos Forums, such as your profile page, PM page, Community Chat, etc if you select it in your forum options!

And if you prefer to stick with TR9 light/dark skins, they will remain available as well.

Enjoy, and let us know in the poll here which skin tickles your fancy the most :)

d1n0_xD
21st Jun 2014, 11:47
Definitely the dark one ^^ I like the light one's banner too, but the overall "darkness" of the dark one will prevail for me :3 Thanks, Driber ^^

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go get me a dark TR10 skin :D

Edit: It's soooo coooooooooooool :3 I'm so happy because of a skin XD

Driber
21st Jun 2014, 12:02
Glad you like it :)

Metalrocks
21st Jun 2014, 12:46
dark one for me. :thumb:

easier on the eyes, plus seeing the assassin....i mean lara whit her hood over her head makes it more mysterious.

pidipidi39
21st Jun 2014, 13:57
Dark one for me too :)

AdobeArtist
21st Jun 2014, 14:15
The Darkness Rules :cool:

Ellie92
21st Jun 2014, 14:17
I don't really like both of them. The dark one is a lot better, though.

I prefer AA's signature.

And there is something very wrong with the light one.
Her head is too much in the middle. The eyes should be where I wrote "EYES".
Like the blue frame.

http://s1.directupload.net/images/140621/r5iuex9t.jpg

AdobeArtist
21st Jun 2014, 14:18
@Ellie I don't get how you determined where the eyes "should" be :scratch:

Ellie92
21st Jun 2014, 14:20
The eyes should be where I drew that line with "EYES". Because it will look a lot better. It's common sense if you ask any cinematographer.

pidipidi39
21st Jun 2014, 14:22
I am no cinematographer but it looks alright to me :scratch:

Ellie92
21st Jun 2014, 14:26
You should look at some screenshots on this website.

http://www.cinemasquid.com/

Look at how those pictures are built and where the eyes are placed.

http://s1.directupload.net/images/140621/szksnjqi.jpg

pidipidi39
21st Jun 2014, 15:07
Yeah, but Lara's head is inclined on a certain grade.
Just like in this screen:

jzukwd_gravity-blu-ray-screenshot-0010983-I-824.jpg

You can see his eyes wouldn't stay into your ''EYES'' band neither (they're not on the same level).
In the screen you posted, instead, the guy's head is straight.

Edit: Reading the other posts I'm not even sure if I understood what you were talking about :o

dark7angel
21st Jun 2014, 15:34
I like them both, but prefer the darker one because it's easier on the eyes! :)

Rai
21st Jun 2014, 15:35
I'm the loner who voted for both :(. I did that as I like both images equally. In hindsight, I think I was a tad hasty as I actually prefer the darker skin overall, kinder on the eyes. Though in saying that certain members who use coloured text should be hit with Lara's bow :poke:(the bow itself) as certain colours are hard to read on the darker background. Naming no names. Actually, somehow coloured text is brighter with this skin than with the Dark Tomb Raider (2013) skin, so they show up better. I had quite a bit of trouble with that one.

I actually like Lara's head/face placement on the light banner. Nice and central/symmetrical :D. If her eyes were where ellie is suggesting, wouldn't the top of the head be cut off sightly (hair mainly, but still). That would make the photoshopping unprofessional looking, imo. *shrug* I know nothing.

Driber
21st Jun 2014, 15:55
Thanks for the critical feedback, Ellie. Appreciate it :)

I'll play around with the PSD a bit later on, but I'm already pretty sure this is as good as it's going to get, considering the format of the banner.

Actually, somehow coloured text is brighter with this skin than with the Dark Tomb Raider (2013) skin, so they show up better. I had quite a bit of trouble with that one.

What do you mean, exactly? The TR10 dark skin uses the exact same color scheme as the TR9 dark one. The only difference between the skins is the banner and background image.

:scratch:

I actually like Lara's head/face placement on the light banner. Nice and central/symmetrical :D. If her eyes were where ellie is suggesting, wouldn't the top of the head be cut off sightly (hair mainly, but still). That would make the photoshopping unprofessional looking, imo. *shrug* I know nothing.

Yeah, this.

Moving Lara up would cut off the top of her head as well as her arm. And another problem would be the bow - it would be too "intrusive" to the left part the image, which would only be solvable by applying a layer mask fadeout, which would look unprofessional.

Rai
21st Jun 2014, 16:02
What do you mean, exactly? The TR10 dark skin uses the exact same color scheme as the TR9 dark one. The only difference between the skins is the banner and background image.

:scratch:

I dunno why that is then :scratch:. But D1n0's red and Metalrocks' green both appear brighter, easier to read. I had a problem especially with D1n0's red before. Maybe it's my screen or the lighting in the room or I'm hallucinating.

Driber
21st Jun 2014, 16:08
I dunno why that is then :scratch:. But D1n0's red and Metalrocks' green both appear brighter, easier to read. I had a problem especially with D1n0's red before. Maybe it's my screen or the lighting in the room or I'm hallucinating.

Hmm...

If you're switching back and forth the TR10/TR9 dark skins right now while focussing on the same posts, you see an instant difference?

Metalrocks
21st Jun 2014, 16:32
that is weird. i dont see a difference between now and before.

pomeranianpuppy
21st Jun 2014, 16:35
I had the light before but now I've gone over to the dark side because it's so much better

Rai
21st Jun 2014, 16:41
Hmm...

If you're switching back and forth the TR10/TR9 dark skins right now while focussing on the same posts, you see an instant difference?

I tried switching to see if there was a difference and there wasn't. My eyes must have been playing up :p.

Treeble
21st Jun 2014, 18:38
Light skin for me. :)

I do agree with Ellie though, the logo is way too high in the composition.

Rai
21st Jun 2014, 18:56
Light skin for me. :)

I do agree with Ellie though, the logo is way too high in the composition.

Then maybe it should be the logo that is lowered and Lara stays put. I can this looking okay. :)

Scion's_Eye
21st Jun 2014, 19:00
All for anything that's easy on the eyes. Especially a forum which you have a serious addiction to :P

Error96_
21st Jun 2014, 23:19
Close call but I will go for the light one.

RybatGrimes
21st Jun 2014, 23:35
I voted for both but I ended up liking the dark one more. ;_;

NSW_pride
22nd Jun 2014, 02:12
I'm using the light one.

AdobeArtist
22nd Jun 2014, 02:34
I also gotta say, the cool blue background makes for quite a serene visual aesthetic from the harsh reds of the old background.

Metalrocks
22nd Jun 2014, 03:46
I also gotta say, the cool blue background makes for quite a serene visual aesthetic from the harsh reds of the old background.

thats why its cooler :cool:

Driber
22nd Jun 2014, 10:19
I'm curious to know what resolution everyone is on, and thus how much of the background you're actually seeing when browsing the forums. Anyone care to share some screenshots of your browser window? :)

Metalrocks
22nd Jun 2014, 12:55
I'm curious to know what resolution everyone is on, and thus how much of the background you're actually seeing when browsing the forums. Anyone care to share some screenshots of your browser window? :)

julvmd_untitled.JPG

resolution: 1920x1080

AdobeArtist
22nd Jun 2014, 14:08
^^

I'm also 1920x1080, so basically what MetRock is seeing.
I also notice the post header bars (with the date and post count) are now blue, as are the link highlights. We got some cool consistency going on now :cool:

Metalrocks
22nd Jun 2014, 14:26
^^

I'm also 1920x1080, so basically what MetRock is seeing.
I also notice the post header bars (with the date and post count) are now blue, as are the link highlights. We got some cool consistency going on now :cool:

now that you are mentioning it.
it does look more sophisticated. the red was sharp and heavy on the eyes. this type of blue is more relaxing.

a_big_house
22nd Jun 2014, 15:06
You can thank me for that :cool:

AdobeArtist
22nd Jun 2014, 15:07
now that you are mentioning it.
it does look more sophisticated. the red was sharp and heavy on the eyes. this type of blue is more relaxing.

Yeah, so very very rela... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :zzZ:

Metalrocks
22nd Jun 2014, 15:37
thanks

@adobe
:lol:
didnt know its thats relaxing for you.

Driber
22nd Jun 2014, 15:38
Cheers for the screengrab, Metal.

Glad you guys like the new colors :)

(Ta ABH for suggesting it ;))

IvanaKC
22nd Jun 2014, 17:12
I like the dark skin so much! Blue is my favorite color and now new skin even goes with my browser's color. :cool:

BTW, where can I get the high quality background picture which isn't blurred?

Rai
22nd Jun 2014, 17:45
I did not notice the cavern pic is what's used with the dark skin :eek:. I thought it was thunder clouds or something :lol:

Driber
22nd Jun 2014, 18:26
Banners updated :)

BTW, where can I get the high quality background picture which isn't blurred?

http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/e3_2014_announce/039.jpg

It's in the official media thread ;)

AdobeArtist
22nd Jun 2014, 19:56

What's been updated? I still see the same banner since yesterday :scratch:

Driber
22nd Jun 2014, 20:31
^ jrofdh_forum-banner.jpg

jnjuxa_tr10_banner_light.jpg

jsxbem_tr10_banner_dark.jpg

jgjxif_tr10_banner_dark.jpg

RybatGrimes
22nd Jun 2014, 20:38
^That looks a lot better, great job Driber! :D

AdobeArtist
22nd Jun 2014, 20:51
Ah yes. Drop shadows are an invaluable asset in design :thumb:

IvanaKC
22nd Jun 2014, 21:05
I did not notice the cavern pic is what's used with the dark skin :eek:. I thought it was thunder clouds or something :lol:

That background picture simply drags the man into using the dark skin, doesn't it? :p

http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/e3_2014_announce/039.jpg

It's in the official media thread ;)

Thank you :)

Metalrocks
23rd Jun 2014, 01:47
Cheers for the screengrab, Metal.

Glad you guys like the new colors :)

(Ta ABH for suggesting it ;))

no probs. :)

and good job on the banner.:thumb:

SeanCordernay
23rd Jun 2014, 08:32
I like both of the skins equally, save for the fact that I can't see the details of the background as clearly on the light version--which I don't like.

EDIT: NVM. It appears as if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Both versions are of equal clarity in regards to background details. :D

d1n0_xD
23rd Jun 2014, 16:10
Here you go, Driber :D

jrpirl_trdzfr.jpg

My screen resolution is 1024x768

pidipidi39
23rd Jun 2014, 18:07
My desktop's screen resolution is just like AA and Metalrock's one.

But my laptop resolution is 1366x768,
and here you are a screen, Driber :D

pekqdv_Immagine.png

Valenka
23rd Jun 2014, 18:11
I've a resolution of 1920x1080 so I see basically everything. :)

jyupac_Untitled-1.jpg

RybatGrimes
23rd Jun 2014, 18:39
My desktop's screen resolution is just like AA and Metalrock's one.

But my laptop resolution is 1366x768,
and here you are a scren, Driber :D

pekqdv_Immagine.png

That's mine. :p

Driber
23rd Jun 2014, 19:09
Cheers, fellas :thumb: :)