PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I'm going to have to eat my hat here...

KaininitePriestess
28th Jun 2014, 11:32
I'm just gonna admit it up front: I was one of the ones that thought the idea of a multiplayer f2p battle arena game for LoK was a travesty to all things right and good with the world. I really did. But I kept checking back from time to time to see what sorts of updates had been made, because I wanted to see if things got better and hoped that maybe there would be news of a new game being made in the style of the originals.

The other day, when I came here, I saw the updates with the new level 25 skins for the Vampires. And then further along, I saw the concept art for the Underground City map.

And the inhuman sounds of glee I made were probably audible three counties over.

The nods that were being made to the old series and the way the developers went out of their way to actually make the game feel right for those of us who are coming over from the old games just was so perfect, especially in the moment that I saw Raziel and Kain in the concept art.

Yes, they're just artwork and statues that are going to be in the map. But they were what made it complete, in at least a small way. The statue of the Priestess under the blood fountain was another totally awesome touch that just fit so well and made my excitement rise! So I decided to give it a try! I figured hey, I can wait until next paycheck and get the basic level beta key and see how I like it.

And then I somehow found a link from one of the big fans in the community, where she was giving away codes! You just had to answer some trivia questions about SR1! I knew those answers! And there were still two codes left! OH MAN MAYBE I COULD GET ONE!

Needless to say, it's days later, and I'm level 12 and already addicted to this game so much I get urges to just start playing it in the middle of work! I'm in love! There's no Kain or Raziel in character form, but the more I play it, the more I see what everyone was saying about giving it a chance, and how it really does feel like it fits so perfectly in the world of Nosgoth! It's very Blood Omen 2 in places, but at the same time I can see bits and pieces of Soul Reaver 1 and 2 and Defiance and OH LOOK THERE'S A SARAFAN STATUE IN THAT CITY AND IS THAT THE SARAFAN STRONGHOLD ON THE HILL??? IS THAT GRAFFITI OF RAZIEL ON THE WALL??? OH WOW IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE GRAFFITIED THE PRIESTESS ON THIS WALL, TOO!

Half of the time, when there's a lull in the battle, I'll just stop to take in the scenery, because MAN, this game is gorgeous!!! And I'm starting to fit the places into the grand-scheme-of-things map in my head from playing the games before; I remember going through the lava wasteland in BO1! Is that what that is in the distance??? Is this the swamp where Vorador's mansion was hidden??? Are those his crows??? And playing the characters over and over again is giving me ideas on the culture and the personalities and their characterization, even though there's no plot given in-game! Each little mention of Kain and Raziel and Anacrothe from the characters in the middle of battle makes me giddy! And the shape of the Pillars' pedestal in the logo makes me grin now. ;D

Basically this was just my attempts at saying wow, I was a real jerk before and I'm sorry I never gave the game a chance before now! The gameplay is REALLY FUN, even though I'm absolutely HORRIBLE at these games, and I've actually made some really fast friends and had some hilarious, wonderful little mishaps already that have left me giggling and squealing in the middle of trying to play. Instead of feeling frustrated and angry when I lose, I just enjoy the chance to play in Kain's Kingdom again, whether he and Raziel are there or not! Parkour in games is one of my favorite things, and the Vampires are just so effortless and free in their movement and sneaking attacks, I could do it all day! And I even find myself rooting for our poor, doomed little Humans. Sorry, guys. This isn't going to turn out well for you, but that's ok. ;D

The people in the game seem to be really nice, too, even when we're on opposite teams! I've only had one instance of someone being an absolute jerk in the middle of the game, it just surprised me because everyone else had been warm-and-fluffy-feelings, laughing with each other when we were losing horribly and celebrating when we were winning!

And then there was the hilarious, horrifying moment in the middle of Sommerdam (My FAVORITE map, btw) when the rest of my team disconnected and I was left alone, in the middle of the circular balcony near the courtyard by the circular tower, a tiny, lonely Hunter staring up at four Vampires who seemed just as perplexed as me about the whole thing.

One of them tossed a smoke bomb, I shot at them, and took off running.

Apparently I'm "tenacious for still being there," and "kray kray," and they were laughing and I was laughing and crying at the same time. I think I might have impressed them for actually trying to stick it out instead of just logging off? idk, I just know that almost all of us became Steam frans and I can't wait to rip their heads off tomorrow! ;D

Seriously. OMG. THIS GAME. THIIIISSSS GAAAAAAMMMEEEE!!!!!

And I really, REALLY, really hope that the assumptions of many of us - that this game is going to be a springboard to draw in new fans to the series to inspire a continuation of the original story for those of us who want desperately to know what became of Kain after Raziel gave him the gift of hope - turn out to be correct!

(Oh, and to the one who gave out the codes, dunno if you want me to say who you were, but WEEEEEH THANK YOUUUU AHHHHH!!!!!)

Ok. I've rambled enough. And it's kind of freezing and I've been playing for about 5 hours straight and have my cousin's wedding to go to tonight. I should...probably get some sleep.

If I even can sleep, with all this Legacy of Kain in my brain right now!

Sorry for the wall-o-text...>n>

Sanguise23
28th Jun 2014, 14:07
welcome, love your enthusiasm, i too am a hard core LOK fan, but i loved the game from day one, glad you got into it and maybe your post will draw other LOK fans who were wary, add me if you like Sanguise on steam

cmstache
28th Jun 2014, 15:32
Welcome to the party. We're glad you gave it a shot. I gave out a key on my stream to someone so they could try it too being an old LoK fan. I never played them, but I'm not a person who typically plays a lot of PvP or online multiplayer games. So, I recommended to him that his view was common and many of them who tried the game actually liked it Just asked him not to judge it until trying it, so threw him a free key. Not like I'm low anyways :/ I still have like 15...

But, I do have to say, the lighting on the Valeholm volcano plumes and the background stuff happening in Sommerdamm in the skies are amazing. I have stopped to look at those as a human while waiting to be engaged or flying as a sentinel, and I'm not the kind of person who normally does those sort of things. Kudos Dev team!

Psyonix_Eric
28th Jun 2014, 20:29
This idea of "I hate it but let me give it a shot anyways" is one of the best things I can ask for as a developer. We know we won't appeal to everyone, and we know that it's not going to be for everyone, but it's very easy thanks to internet anonymity for people to scream and shout and wish us cancer (this happened) but to never actually try it. It always makes the long hours we put in worth it when you hear about people like you (OP) who took the time to give it a chance and to not do a knee-jerk reaction to it and dismiss it.

And as the art team representative, let me thank you for your compliments. We try our best to not only stick to the original stories but to also expand on them in ways that grow the overall story of the world. Hopefully you'll love The Fane even more once you get to play it!

Thanks again. :)

GenFeelGood
29th Jun 2014, 02:52
This idea of "I hate it but let me give it a shot anyways" is one of the best things I can ask for as a developer. We know we won't appeal to everyone, and we know that it's not going to be for everyone, but it's very easy thanks to internet anonymity for people to scream and shout and wish us cancer (this happened) but to never actually try it. It always makes the long hours we put in worth it when you hear about people like you (OP) who took the time to give it a chance and to not do a knee-jerk reaction to it and dismiss it.

And as the art team representative, let me thank you for your compliments. We try our best to not only stick to the original stories but to also expand on them in ways that grow the overall story of the world. Hopefully you'll love The Fane even more once you get to play it!

Thanks again. :)

You may not hear as much praise as you do outrage at the moment (us LoK fans can be really stubborn, hostile, and opinionated about what we want for the franchise at times) but there are a lot more of us like the OP than you think (myself included); and that number is gonna keep growing as more of the fans give it a chance, until the haters can barely be heard anymore over everyone else's applause.

Keep doing what you are doing. Eventually, its not gonna feel right without you.

Hashakgik888
30th Jun 2014, 02:23
Awww, yeaaaah, dem Nosgoth feels :3 I'm glad that you're enjoying Nosgoth, KaininitePriestess, and I hope you continue to spread the good word about it :)

RainaAudron
30th Jun 2014, 11:02
Hey, Kainite Priestess!

You are welcome, I was getting really sad that nobody will send me correct answers for the competion, lol. I am so happy you like the game and playing the game changed your opinion about Nosgoth in the end :) There are lots of little nods to the LOK series in there, it's awesome. Can't wait to play Fane and getting all evolved skins for my vamps (they are soooo cool ;) ).

KaininitePriestess
30th Jun 2014, 11:23
Yeah, honestly, at first I did have sort of a knee-jerk reaction, but I knew in the end I was going to play it anyway. I can't NOT play something LoK. I just wish I'd given it a shot sooner. ;D And MAN ALIVE did that become a serious tl;dr. I type waaay too much when I'm tired!

Seriously, though, you guys on the Dev team deserve a lot more credit then you've been getting, and I can't wait until this is officially released full-time to bring in more people! I'm trying to get my sister and my friends into the game. Sister is more reluctant then I was, but I'm going to try and break her down. ;) But my bff is completely wanting to play now! Not only did I get her into LoK originally, I'm getting her into this newest game, too!

Seriously, though, there's just so much to love about this game! I can't wait to see what's next in store for the game, and MAN am I excited for the Underground City! I've even started imagining cosplays for some of the characters, like the Alchemist! :) The character designs are just gorgeous! You can definitely tell that you guys on the dev team are either fans, or just very devoted to staying as close as possible. ;D

Weeeh, there you are, Raina! :DD I was honestly really shocked to see only one had been claimed, tbh! Maybe it's just a sign that I'm a little too devoted to the series, idk. XD And lfakjsdf thanks to you, now I'm having to save up my pennies to try and throw game codes at people before they expect it! MORE PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH!

ETA: Ohhh, the Fane is the name of the city! Well that's certainly less of a mouthfull then "Underground City." XDDDD

RainaAudron
30th Jun 2014, 12:42
Luckily got 3 people who were fully correct and others had one or two questions wrong, so I've managed to give all the keys out.
I agree, Fane is a pretty cool name for the Razielim VUC!

RazielWarmonic
30th Jun 2014, 17:20
This idea of "I hate it but let me give it a shot anyways" is one of the best things I can ask for as a developer.
I wish more people had this mentality!
I was really skeptical at first but... well... As anyone can probably tell you at this point, I'm just a little addicted.
So welcome!

KaininitePriestess
2nd Jul 2014, 07:16
Luckily got 3 people who were fully correct and others had one or two questions wrong, so I've managed to give all the keys out.
I agree, Fane is a pretty cool name for the Razielim VUC! Oh good, so maybe people as supernerdy as us aren't that unusual! ;D There needs to be more LoK supernerds.

I wish more people had this mentality!
I was really skeptical at first but... well... As anyone can probably tell you at this point, I'm just a little addicted.
So welcome!

Yeah, I've been known to like some really bad games before, because I just say "Eh, it looks cool. Let's play." And then later on find out nobody else likes it. So I just don't understand the whole "I'm never playing that ever!" mentality, for the most part.

Also, no matter what someone thinks about a game, death threats and wishing death and disease on the moderators is just...the lowest form of despicable you can ever be. B/ So you don't like it, get over yourself. It's kind of sad how many times I've hard of game developers having to deal with that.

Especially LoK developers. I don't think this was the first game to incite that sort of reaction, if I'm remembering correctly...