PDA

View Full Version : bro what is an rpg

zwanzig_zwoelf
15th Jun 2014, 22:40
bro deus ex is considered an rpg while deus ex human revolution seems more like rpg to me yet people call it a stealth shooter with rpg elements how about we diskuss a bigger and broader question what is exactly and rpg and how exactly its a part of deus ex franchise :)

Shralla
16th Jun 2014, 06:05
This is ironically enough the best thread that's been posted on this forum in years.

AlexOfSpades
16th Jun 2014, 07:10
RPG is a shoulder-mounted rocket-propelled grenade launcher designed to destroy tanks and other military vehicles.

zwanzig_zwoelf
16th Jun 2014, 13:49
bro okay let me make the first contribution rpg is all about dialogue and deus ex human revolution has lots of it while first deus ex and invisible war have less of it also lets mention character progression which is in every deus ex game plus project snowblind and also lets remember the romantic storylines deus ex had romance between jc and paul, invisible war had romance between alex d and billie adams, denton bros, clara sparks or leo jankowski lets also mention open world and choices which were realized best in human revolution please contribute too :)

pirate1802
16th Jun 2014, 16:05
RPG is a shoulder-mounted rocket-propelled grenade launcher designed to destroy tanks and other military vehicles.

Actually, for quite a while when I was new to gaming I thought exactly the same. I was like, what does a type of grenade has to do with a videogame genre?

CyberP
16th Jun 2014, 16:52
This is ironically enough the best thread that's been posted on this forum in years.

You're going to have to elaborate on that because as it stands, taken at face value that is basically an insult to anyone in this community who has started a thread in the last x amount of years.

The question "what is an RPG?" (in a broad sense) has been asked many, many times before also.

zwanzig_zwoelf
16th Jun 2014, 17:54
bro i forgot to mention the love story between adam jensen and faridah malik in human revolution, ben saxon and whatshername anna in the fall, and finally, between nathan frost and general chung in project snowblind :)

Shralla
16th Jun 2014, 18:15
You're going to have to elaborate on that because as it stands, taken at face value that is basically an insult to anyone in this community who has started a thread in the last x amount of years.

The question "what is an RPG?" (in a broad sense) has been asked many, many times before also.

It's never had its own thread to my knowledge, and even if it had, it's not like the discussion ever went anywhere. This is a hilariously legitimate thread, way more worth discussing than anything that's been posted in recent memory. What has been worth discussing in the last two years? A bunch of arguments about how great/****ty Human Revolution is? 'cause that's all there's been since the game came out.

The fact that someone can come here and, regardless of how it's phrased, start a discussion on a relevant and meaningful topic, moreso than what the "actual members" of the board have been posting is pretty sad for our community. Not that it's entirely our fault. We have discussed a lot of things to death, and since Square Enix clearly thinks that a game that came out in 2013 should get a sequel before a game that came out in 2011, we don't have anything about a potential new game to discuss until we hear more information.

xaduha2
16th Jun 2014, 18:22
Fun fact:
English and Russian languages share the same abbreviation for RPG/РПГ, but use different words.
Rocket-Propelled Grenade
Ручной Противотанковый Гранатомет, Handheld Anti-tank Grenade-launcher (Though not quite Light Anti-Tank Weapon)

Edit: Not that fun, it's a 'backronym', from wiki

The English-language term "rocket-propelled grenade", though frequently encountered and reasonably descriptive, is a backronym for "RPG" and not based on a literal translation.

CyberP
16th Jun 2014, 18:50
This is a hilariously legitimate thread, way more worth discussing than anything that's been posted in recent memory. .

=/

I'm not going to go there, but I will say there has been little negativity towards DX:HR in recent times.

OK I'll go there:

"Gameplay: Where do we go from now"
"Update: Original Deus Ex composers interested in DX 4!"
"What is cyberpunk?"(if this thread is legitimate (which it is not, because OP is a self-confessed troll) then so is this Cyberpunk one).
"Meet the community manager"
And of course there is my mod that you could discuss, or Colbasher's, but apparently not. Only Eidos work on Deus Ex stuff.

Some of these threads may or may not have very interesting content in them (to you), but they do to me anyway.

zwanzig_zwoelf
16th Jun 2014, 20:58
bro its definitely to each their own for example i know sacha is a bro and hell enjoy working for em and being our dearest community manager i dont really care about music in deus ex unles scrillex is involved and i can live without cyberpunk just make the game with same gameplay in any setting and ill buy it on day 1 but still id like to diskuss things that make deus ex an rpg and learn more about what people think :)

Ashpolt
16th Jun 2014, 21:53
bro an rpg which is pronounced "urpuguh" is one of the oldest forms of game did you know rpigs exsisted even before computers its crazy i no but people used to play them with like papaer and stuff i guess because that was the best thing before computers anyway people have been playing rpgs for hundreds of years ever since like the mid 1980s but back then of course they were just known as games and it was only later when other game types started being made that nintendo had to call them rpgs to make sure people knew they were different from other really old games like pong and pac man and half life

bro the key things that make an rpg are the romance options you should be able to sleep with anybody in the game even the peoples of the same gender this is why bioware are the rpg kings and its one of the best ways to know that a game isnt a rpg like in halo master chef couldnt sleep with anyone so it definitely wasnt an rpg anyway think its one of the areas deus ex could of done better like why couldent jensen sleep with pritchard that would of been really imersive but i guess they ran out development time making all the triangles or whatever

EricaLeeV
16th Jun 2014, 22:25
bro the key things that make an rpg are the romance options you should be able to sleep with anybody in the game even the peoples of the same gender this is why bioware are the rpg kings and its one of the best ways to know that a game isnt a rpg like in halo master chef couldnt sleep with anyone so it definitely wasnt an rpg anyway think its one of the areas deus ex could of done better like why couldent jensen sleep with pritchard that would of been really imersive but i guess they ran out development time making all the triangles or whatever

Golden. This belongs in a museum.

zwanzig_zwoelf
16th Jun 2014, 22:36
bro an rpg which is pronounced "urpuguh" is one of the oldest forms of game did you know rpigs exsisted even before computers its crazy i no but people used to play them with like papaer and stuff i guess because that was the best thing before computers anyway people have been playing rpgs for hundreds of years ever since like the mid 1980s but back then of course they were just known as games and it was only later when other game types started being made that nintendo had to call them rpgs to make sure people knew they were different from other really old games like pong and pac man and half life

bro how about vi play an rpg right here :)

FrankCSIS
16th Jun 2014, 23:55
A bunch of arguments about how great/ty Human Revolution is? 'cause that's all there's been since the game came out.

Seems we've gone past that a while ago. Now, it's all about who will be the more cynical towards the others :p

WildcatPhoenix
17th Jun 2014, 00:18
Seems we've gone past that a while ago. Now, it's all about who will be the more cynical towards the others :p

No worries. Eventually there will be a teaser trailer for DX4 for us to dissect/over-analyze/pick to pieces, and then we can all get hyped only to be crushingly disappointed all over again! Yay fandom!

Ashpolt
17th Jun 2014, 00:25
bro how about vi play an rpg right here :)

bro your already playing the biggest rpg of all its called life ;)

zwanzig_zwoelf
17th Jun 2014, 01:12

bro but how life is connected to dx deus ex is just a game how can it be connected to our life its not realistic in any way :)

FrankCSIS
17th Jun 2014, 01:31
No worries. Eventually there will be a teaser trailer for DX4 for us to dissect/over-analyze/pick to pieces, and then we can all get hyped only to be crushingly disappointed all over again! Yay fandom!

Nah. While we all may be going in circle, the orbit can never really be the same. I'll gladly welcome a new trailer, but the reaction can't possibly be the same as with the previous teaser, prompting me to join in this place in excitement.

Back to Shral's comment, if I may. What's telling is not that our new self-appointed mascot has started a topic apparently worth discussing. This topic has, after all, indeed been extensively discussed during HR's development. What is truly telling about the community is that you probably came in specifically because the topic was started by 20_12. The problem is not the lack of topics to discuss per say, but the lack of unpredictable protagonists to discuss it with.

Would you have come in with enthusiasm if it had been started by most regulars? I doubt it. Not out of spite, of course. But you'd probably know what you would find inside if it had been started by, say, Cyber or Ash. And you wouldn't really want to partake, because you'd know where the discussion would go before reading the third post in.

That's the way it goes, though. That's why analysts and commentators rarely survive more than 3-5 seasons in the spotlight, no matter how spectacular and literate they may be. Eventually the public and the guests can pretty much tell what the commentators will say before they even open their mouths, even when the topic is completely new. A host, though, can stick around forever and make a career out of a single show, if the ratings are there.

JCpies
17th Jun 2014, 13:52
http://www.ijamming.net/NewFiles/03Index/feature_1.jpg

bro is jew sex, really the name of dis video games?

singularity
17th Jun 2014, 19:22
I kind of thought this was put to rest 2 years ago. Here, let me help you out with a crash course on the easy stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8aiEsIW9IM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmkdoz5LjdE

From there, we have some pre-requisites to talk about the hard stuff.

zwanzig_zwoelf
18th Jun 2014, 14:16
I kind of thought this was put to rest 2 years ago. Here, let me help you out with a crash course on the easy stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8aiEsIW9IM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmkdoz5LjdE

From there, we have some pre-requisites to talk about the hard stuff.

bro so from what i could gather deus ex is jrpg wow i didnt even know so you have a pre-written character, limited rpg elements and the game is heavily based on the story wow seriously i never knew that final fantasy and deus ex are more related than ever :)

Tverdyj
19th Jun 2014, 06:22
I believe Yahtsee covered the distinction, particularly how it applies to DX and HR:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/4137-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution

To paraphrase:

An RPG is a type of game, where your character progression makes your character better at certain things, with different methods being equally viable.

As opposed to "RPG elements"--where you get stats and progression, but in the end of the day what matters is your reactions in combat. This was at least partially addressed in the Director's Cut.

CyberP
19th Jun 2014, 13:00
I believe Yahtsee covered the distinction, particularly how it applies to DX and HR:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/4137-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution

From what I've observed before, everyone has their own idea of what an RPG is and nobody seems to be able to define it as fact.
I side with Yahtzee's definition really.

CyberP
19th Jun 2014, 20:02
Julian Assange on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/28js8v/i_am_julian_assange_publisher_of_wikileaks_ask_me/

More relevant than anything being discussed here (on this forum in general).

zwanzig_zwoelf
19th Jun 2014, 23:49
bro how about we discuss the topic instead of flooding the forum with various posts that dont adhere to the topic there is a separate thread for stuff like this specially for you :)

ZakKa89
20th Jun 2014, 10:57
http://www.ijamming.net/NewFiles/03Index/feature_1.jpg

bro is jew sex, really the name of dis video games?

bro that is so meta Ali G is basically a RPG (role playing game) because sacha baron cohen plays ali g and also borat so that is a role playing game as well so is dungeons and dragons.

Also role playing game is when you have sexy time and your wife pretends to be a nurse or teacher.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2014, 16:56
I would like to see more 'sis' as well as 'bro'. Equality is important. :p

zwanzig_zwoelf
3rd Jul 2014, 23:51
bro viktoria my lady its hard to maintain equality when both sides are different and drag each other i propose that each man and woman will become one being by connecting to each other so they can actually be equal :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jul 2014, 10:45
Man and woman are equal already and only an individual might think otherwise.... if that is how they think, of course. ;) And just to clarify, I use the word equal to mean that men and women are of the same value as human beings.
Man and woman do not drag each other.... whenever two souls meet (be it male or female) and the connection is right, they compliment each other in the most perfect of ways. It is ABSOLUTELY possible to become as 'one' without resorting to Omar modifications.... you know. :p :D

Shralla
4th Jul 2014, 18:31
bro viktoria my lady its hard to maintain equality when both sides are different and drag each other i propose that each man and woman will become one being by connecting to each other so they can actually be equal :)

Still making better posts than most members...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jul 2014, 19:39
Yeah, he's clearly Omar Creed. That's cool. :cool: :D

FrankCSIS
5th Jul 2014, 04:59
Still making better posts than most members...

Arguably this last quote of his/hers gives out a creepy vibe, if taken literally :p

Not entirely sure why you insist on bringing this up as if he/she were a handicapped child spewing moments of awkward wisdom, though. As an act from someone who clearly knows better, it's hardly surprising to find intelligible stuff hidden amidst the fake bs.

I s'pose the contrast makes it all that better!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jul 2014, 10:20
I'm sure its a 'him'... but I could be wrong. :D

besyuziki
8th Jul 2014, 12:50

Life is unbalanced, and pay to win.

CyberP
8th Jul 2014, 13:23
Life is unbalanced, and pay to win.

Suck Weiner to win.
No respawns.
Learning new skills can take years.
There's not something interesting every square foot.
Fetch quests every day for many.
One huge grind and you don't see any rewards immediately.
Choice and consequence design is final, there is no save scumming, and consequences truly are felt. Fine in a game, not so much IRL.

BridgetFisher
9th Jul 2014, 04:31
Just wanna kno where the brobots be shoppin for their #AUGS to flex that Serafin #SWAG.... #YOLO!!!!

AdrianShephard
9th Jul 2014, 09:15
Just wanna kno where the brobots be shoppin for their #AUGS to flex that Serafin #SWAG.... #YOLO!!!!

bro what are you talking about who uses hashtags and says yolo thats so 2012

besyuziki
9th Jul 2014, 10:45

Also weapon recoil is a tad too much to my liking, but at least controls are very fluid and natural.

zwanzig_zwoelf
16th Jul 2014, 06:36
bro what are you talking about who uses hashtags and says yolo thats so 2012

bro i dont use hashtags stop insulting me and please let the girl post whatever she wants :)