PDA

View Full Version : Use of sword-like weapons in Rise of the Tomb Raider/other games?

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 14:51
Now, I know what most of you are thinking: NO! We already have a stupid bow and pickaxe, this franchise is steering off already, bring us back the dual pistols!
But hear me out on this one: would you like for Lara to, in a certain situation, to use a sword-like weapon (maybe a machette, or a longer and wider knife?) ?

For example, you can use the machete for destroying the foliage in dense jungles or even quicker stealth kills (strangling an enemy with the pickaxe takes some time :p ). Or perhaps knives (a la Far Cry 3) ?

And maybe, she finds an ancient artifact which is a sword (a la Legend, but more sword-fighting and less casting magic :p ). Possibities and varieties are many, maybe it's an end-boss weapon? Maybe she finds it early on, but must find X number of gems to power it? These gems can give magical attributes to the sword, for example, fire damage, stun, fear etc. This sounds very TR-ish to me, at least from the artifact-archeology-mythology angle, not sure how many of you would agree on the gameplay angle...

And it kinda makes sense for Lara to know how to handle a blade, if we are to trust the stereotype of aristocrats practicing fencing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing). And if we're looking at it as something that can be found on the ground, Lara can, depending on the location she is in or what she's searching for, found different types of blades: katanas (Japan), falchions (maybe pirates or Saudi Arabia), different medieval swords, falberds...

What do you guys think? Should something like this be introduced to the franchise? A powerful artifact (one-time thing) or regular weapons (could be in every game)? Naturally, these would be optional, but would minimize the gun-fight aspect and give more variety to enemy encounters.

Discuss away! ^_^

EDIT: And if anyone connects this to goddamn AC somehow, I was thinking of something that would resemble hack-and-slash style, not parrying, counter-attacking and stuff :)

Driber
15th Jun 2014, 15:09
A machete sounds okay as long as it's an optional weapon.

Hey wait a minute, what about using a machete to find secret tombs that are covered in thick shrubbery where Lara could only get to by cutting away a path with her machete. Oeeee that would be cool.

Oh and before I forget: Assassin's Creed! :D

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 16:01
Hey wait a minute, what about using a machete to find secret tombs that are covered in thick shrubbery where Lara could only get to by cutting away a path with her machete. Oeeee that would be cool.

That would be soooo cooool :D Maybe the main tomb is kinda obvious to find, for example, you know where it is, you just need to solve a puzzle to open it (Underworld), but in that particular level there are 1 or more mini-tombs with mini-puzzles, enemies, guardians that ask you riddles etc. that are accessed only by machete or pickaxe with treasure inside that gives you XP, new weapons, new information, new lore etc. :D

Scion's_Eye
15th Jun 2014, 16:22
The more optional, usable weapons, the better. Always loved the gun variety in the previous TR games, and now that the games have the capability to use a variety of weapons I don't see why not.
Cutting away shrubbery with a machete to find hidden places is a fantastic idea.
But I'll always stick to the fact that her pistols should be the standard.

The only problem I can see with this being implemented is the wider range of motions and extra animations they would need to make. If they're willing to take it on, I'm all for it.

Daftvirgin
15th Jun 2014, 16:27
I was kinda hoping that Lara would keep that broken katana from the Sun Queen's general as a makeshift knife :(

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 16:27
The only problem I can see with this being implemented is the wider range of motions and extra animations they would need to make. If they're willing to take it on, I'm all for it.

Well if they want to add something new and make the game better, I don't see why the hell not, there's always something new that needs to be made :D

And I agree, dual-pistols should make their infinite-ammo comeback ^^

Error96_
15th Jun 2014, 16:39
I really don't like melee or close range elements in TR combat and we already got too many in TR (2013). I'm just as the OP said 'give me dual pistols' and I'm happy.

Metalrocks
15th Jun 2014, 16:49
have no objections about the machete either. at least for cutting through all the bushes to uncover secrets.

Tihocan
16th Jun 2014, 02:04
Machete, fine. Sword, absolutely not.

Swords are a melee weapon of war and, unless Lara has undergone significant training in the use of, will either be carrying an unwieldy object or end up killing herself with it.

Metalrocks
16th Jun 2014, 02:12
Machete, fine. Sword, absolutely not.

Swords are a melee weapon of war and, unless Lara has undergone significant training in the use of, will either be carrying an unwieldy object or end up killing herself with it.

or maybe she finds an artifact that allows her to time travel and goes to the middle ages :p

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2014, 06:02

Like I said, maybe she already has basic knowledge (stance and stuff) from fencing. Then she could just practice a bit more, like I said, these would mainly be used for stealth kills or slashing unsuspecting victims if you have no ammo (which if the dual pistols come back with infinite ammo makes no sense, but hey :p ).

I think I would prefer the idea of one-time-only weapon, like an artifact you find early on, but you gotta power, you don't have to use it, but if you want to, you can, it can help and add more variety to encounters. Maybe at first, the sword is unstable, you can't do much with it, but as the story progresses, the sword is more stronger and you are able to wield it more properly.

Tihocan
16th Jun 2014, 06:20
Then she could just practice a bit more...

Masters of bladed edge weapons need to train for years before they are safe from eviscerating themselves.

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2014, 06:21
^ Well, luckily, this is a video-game :3

Tihocan
16th Jun 2014, 08:55
^ Well, luckily, this is a video-game :3

Sure, but as it is I had a bit of trouble with her sudden proficiency with firearms in the first game. I could live with it though, as for the most part guns are a point and click interface.

Swords are a completely different story. An ice axe fair enough, any dolt can kill with an axe, but adding swords would just be tacky and overly far-fetched.

Even a knife would be a struggle - most people seem to think that you can just take anyone down if you have one. If you don't get the impact precisely, a wounded combatant can and will still overpower you.

If Lara starts offing enemies with a bowie knife like she's been trained in the SAS I will lose all faith in the capacity of CD to bring forth meaningful combat. This is CD, not CoD.

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2014, 09:10
^ Ok, I kinda get your point :) But I was thinking more of an optional thing, guns would pretty much be the focus... But immersion-vise, maybe you can find some blunt weapons? A mace or a morning star? Depends on the location... Maybe you get you weapons confiscated or sth like that?

But, can you see it happening (and would you like to) in the future? After RotTR, when's she's not a rookie anymore, and maybe 5 years have passed?

Tihocan
16th Jun 2014, 09:30
Maybe a nightstick, machete or even a sickle I could get into, in a stealth "where me weapons go?" sort of section.

I'm suddenly picturing Lara going beast girl on all fours with a kukri blade...
Oddly I'm not turned off by this

But, can you see it happening (and would you like to) in the future? After RotTR, when's she's not a rookie anymore, and maybe 5 years have passed?

Perhaps in the future Lara could be a cold dyed-in-the-wool killer. The image that comes forth makes Angel of Darkness look like My Little Pony.

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2014, 09:33
^ That's the spirit :D

Maybe she's holding the kukri blade with her teeth :naughty:

Tihocan
16th Jun 2014, 09:36
Sorry, edited my post after you left yours, re future...
I'm not used to people watching threads this closely :D

IvanaKC
16th Jun 2014, 12:35
Giving her a sword would be a big step back. I still have some doubts about bow in modern world, but sword? That is a weapon which is not really practical for tomb raiding. As machete was mentioned, maybe, just maybe I would use it while playing, but sword definitely not.

or maybe she finds an artifact that allows her to time travel and goes to the middle ages :p

Only in this case sword would be acceptable. :lol:

Metalrocks
16th Jun 2014, 13:10
Only in this case sword would be acceptable. :lol:

unless she goes all "time cop" stile and goes back in time whit machine guns :p

lara standing in the middle of the road.
a carriage guarded by infantry and cavalry approaches that contain the treasure lara wants.
lara: you have something i need!"
lara opens fire. kills everyone.
lara takes treasure.
credits roll.

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2014, 14:47
Giving her a sword would be a big step back. I still have some doubts about bow in modern world, but sword? That is a weapon which is not really practical for tomb raiding. As machete was mentioned, maybe, just maybe I would use it while playing, but sword definitely not.

Yes, I see your point, I definitely wouldn't want swords to be a focus. But for authenticity's sake, I think maybe she can find stuff on the ground... For example, she is exploring some tombs, and that particular civilization used [insert sharp or blunt weapon here] and you can find them on the ground and have a swing or two if you want to (they would be easily brakeable, since they're so old).

But, what I'm glad is that everyone's more or less on board with the machete, especially since it can be utilized really well with the concept of tomb raiding (finding hidden tombs and treasures behind foliage, stealth kills).

Metalrocks
16th Jun 2014, 15:33
Yes, I see your point, I definitely wouldn't want swords to be a focus. But for authenticity's sake, I think maybe she can find stuff on the ground... For example, she is exploring some tombs, and that particular civilization used [insert sharp or blunt weapon here] and you can find them on the ground and have a swing or two if you want to (they would be easily brakeable, since they're so old).

But, what I'm glad is that everyone's more or less on board with the machete, especially since it can be utilized really well with the concept of tomb raiding (finding hidden tombs and treasures behind foliage, stealth kills).

the thing is that most swords are pretty heavy. especially 2 handed once. i dont think lara can handle them that swiftly and have proper control over it. in combat anyway.

d1n0_xD
16th Jun 2014, 15:45
the thing is that most swords are pretty heavy. especially 2 handed once. i dont think lara can handle them that swiftly and have proper control over it. in combat anyway.

I don't know, man, she was handling that big-ass sword in Legend like it was a balloon one :p I'm sure she could swing falchions or smaller swords, somewhere between a dagger and a regular on-handed sword...

Driber
16th Jun 2014, 15:45

So she can become a firearms expect on the fly, but sword fighting would be unrealistic? :p

Metalrocks
17th Jun 2014, 03:59
I don't know, man, she was handling that big-ass sword in Legend like it was a balloon one :p I'm sure she could swing falchions or smaller swords, somewhere between a dagger and a regular on-handed sword...

true, but i saw this more of a mythical sword that is lite at hand.
but yes, smaller swords would be easier of course. thats why i said "most swords" ;)

So she can become a firearms expect on the fly, but sword fighting would be unrealistic? :p

she had some training with firearms, so this is not particularly unbelievable. besides, we dont know how much training she had with firearms and what weapons she has fired.
and besides, holding a gun is different than wielding a sword with no experience what so ever.

i never said its unrealistic just pointing out if she should obtain a huge sword, she should have some struggle. at least some problems wielding it, even when she can carry it.

Tihocan
17th Jun 2014, 04:36

Correct. Having used both personally, firing a weapon is a lot more simple than wielding a sword. Archery - to some degree - would help the former.
Though, if she can pop heads with a PSG1, that would be stupid.

pirate1802
17th Jun 2014, 05:05
I got the impression she did have some sort of basic weapon training before arriving on the island. Roth taking about focus and whatnot...

Metalrocks
17th Jun 2014, 05:11
I got the impression she did have some sort of basic weapon training before arriving on the island. Roth taking about focus and whatnot...

also lara mentioned something about it when she first acquired the bow. but not sure anymore since i havent played for some time now.

Andy64
27th Jun 2014, 12:45
Sounds a decent idea but only a long as we don't have Red Steel style close combat sections thrown in. As a tool to open things like the TR3 crowbar would be fine but Lara charging at enemies with a sword seems silly.

Daftvirgin
11th Jul 2014, 21:03
I'd love her to wield a rapier at some point and her proficiency with it can be explained as she could have gotten fencing courses during her time at her family's estate (the kind of thing your typical "social elite" would do as a hobby/sport/pass time)