PDA

View Full Version : What is cyberpunk?

Darthassin
15th Jun 2014, 13:40
Mike Pondsmith (creator of Cyberpunk pen and paper system) talks about what "cyberpunk" is to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZxkhLoukI

What "cyberpunk" is to you?

FrankCSIS
15th Jun 2014, 15:24
Is it me or did he take a direct shot at HR? *

''Cyberpunk is about the interface between people and technology, but not in that transhumanist way where it's all about the technology changing them''

It sums up my angle on cyberpunk as well. Of course cyberpunk has had various contributors, approaching it from different angles. Mine takes its origins from WW2. The culmination of mass media use and a cold, calculated techonological approach to rid the world of its ''imperfection'' and creating a seemingly perfectly civilised society where only the neat and the orderly has its place.

Of course in the midst of this is the awkward, the dysfunctional (or those deemed dysfunctional), those who don't fit in/pretend to fit in/don't want to fit in, and the appropriation and piracy of the technology for survival purposes or for personal gains.

And of course the inevitable response from civilisation to street survival and the escalation of technological means and media use to protect its ideal.

Darthassin
15th Jun 2014, 16:03
Is it me or did he take a direct shot at HR? *

''Cyberpunk is about the interface between people and technology, but not in that transhumanist way where it's all about the technology changing them''

When I heard it I also immediately thought about DX:HR. He mentioned somewhere else that he was a fan of original DX, so maybe.

Shralla
15th Jun 2014, 18:19
Either way it's a stupid distinction to make on the part of somebody who clearly prefers one side of cyberpunk over the other. Just because he doesn't like the transhumanist kind of cyberpunk doesn't make it not cyberpunk, just like me not being totally in love with Human Revolution doesn't make it not cyberpunk.

neoWilks
15th Jun 2014, 20:36
Either way it's a stupid distinction to make on the part of somebody who clearly prefers one side of cyberpunk over the other. Just because he doesn't like the transhumanist kind of cyberpunk doesn't make it not cyberpunk, just like me not being totally in love with Human Revolution doesn't make it not cyberpunk.
I don't think he's making a distinction, it's a just a little unclear without recognizing the context. He's not saying, "cyberpunk is this, this, this, but not this." He's saying, "Cyberpunk is this, this, this, but not this." This a promo for the game aimed mostly at long time fans. It makes sense he'd be talking about the things that matter to them. It's a comment on a specific game, not the genre.