PDA

View Full Version : Important Question about the Endurance Crew - CD/SE Pay Attention

daventry
13th Jun 2014, 12:09
Should Any of the Surviving Crew (Sam - Joslin - Jonah) be in ROTTR in any form or Level or Flashback

Lets hope the Therapy thing is in the Beginning when you Start a New Game while we see Lara going to some place with some Flashbacks to her Friends as Closure, then the Game should now Focus on Lara and her Adventures without any further Flashbacks of Therapy and her Friends so we can now Focus on the Game and ahead.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 12:12
Should Any of the Surviving Crew (Sam - Joslin - Jonah) be in ROTTR

I really liked Sam, she was the focus of the game, far as the others I dont even remember them. Id like to see Sam have a more prominent role in the game, in the last game she felt to much like just a plot device or side character instead of coming into her own like. While the Tomb Raider is still learning what a Tomb is, or how to adventure, she needs a partner since she doesnt have a butler anymore since shes just a plain girl next door I think Sam would fill that role very well. Maybe if Rise of the Tomb Raider has no tombs again, Sam could get a spinoff game where she raids tombs just like a real life Tomb Raider (and Sam could know how to use guns, and be rich, and smart, kind of like an anti-Lara where everything is opposite Lara Croft)?

daventry
13th Jun 2014, 12:19
It was already stated in the Previous Game that Sam has No desire to Raid Tombs with Lara, Sam is trying to make Lara go Shopping and just be a plain City Girl, whereas Lara wants to go out and Explore in her Father's Shoes in witch case i Hope we Dont start going in search for the Parent Trend again.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 12:38
It was already stated in the Previous Game that Sam has No desire to Raid Tombs with Lara, Sam is trying to make Lara go Shopping and just be a plain City Girl, whereas Lara wants to go out and Explore in her Father's Shoes in witch case i Hope we Dont start going in search for the Parent Trend again.

Lara is already a plain girl though? Normal looks, normal socio-economic background, normal education, normal emotional problems. Lara is the very definition of average, kind of like that guy in Idiocracy. I think that Sam seeing how Lara missed out on Raiding Tombs starts Tomb Raiding to show Lara Croft how exciting Tomb Raiding can be, and teach Lara about guns since Lara runs around with a bow in 2014. Sam could go from being the normal rich shopping girl with the best education hailing from a noble ancestory of explorers who were rich to becoming a real Tomb Raider where Lara Croft tags along for the ride.

daventry
13th Jun 2014, 12:43
But do we really want to Kill of the Iconic Lara Croft and give this Game to some has been Nobody and call it ROTTR - The Adventures of Sam.

Its Clear you are a Sam Fan and you basically want to put Sam the Center of Attention

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 12:55
But do we really want to Kill of the Iconic Lara Croft and give this Game to some has been Nobody and call it ROTTR - The Adventures of Sam.

Its Clear you are a Sam Fan and you basically want to put Sam the Center of Attention

I thought they already killed off the original icon of Lara Croft? No big belt buckle, no shorts, no guns, no money, no braid, no tombs, all that? That is why I think pitching Sam as the one who becomes a Tomb Raider, while Lara Croft tags along learning from Sam about Guns, Tomb Raiding, kicking butt, and having a good time doing it.

Sam with her upbeat attitude could pull that off, where Lara would just be dragged down deeper into therapy having those vietnam flashbacks of her killing hundreds of people and mowing down an army of Samurai guys with machine guns and grenades. (I always kinda felt after the E3 trailer the other people should be the victims? Ya know maybe a survivor out of the hundreds or thousands of people she killed while screaming "DIE YOU BASTARDS!" ???)

_Ninja_
13th Jun 2014, 13:00
By this point in development CD & SE have this already decided.

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 13:02
I thought they already killed off the original icon of Lara Croft? No big belt buckle, no shorts, no guns, no money, no braid, no tombs, all that?

So money and looks are the things that define Lara Croft? Damn, I must've been playing these games wrong.

Tecstar70
13th Jun 2014, 13:34
Don't really like the poll options.

Should they feature? - yes, if its relevant. If the story fits i'd be quite happy to see Jonah or not see Sam at all.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 13:35
So money and looks are the things that define Lara Croft? Damn, I must've been playing these games wrong.

Yes character concept development is very important, from Superman's big S on his chest, to Sherlock holmes and that hat he wears, or Micky Mouse with his big ears and two bug buttons, or in Video games there is a bigger list but a few would be Mario with his mustache and hat, assassins creed and their hoods. Lara just has nothing distinct that makes her stand out visibly meaning to most even if there is more going on underneath with this emotional edginess, well that kinda never takes off. Hence why all famous icons in the entertainment Industry or even non living things like a can of coke have their style and look. For example Coke is run by a smart team of executives who arent going to change the cans to yellow or get rid of the wave under their logo. Just like mcdonalds wont trade in their Golden Arches for a green tree. Without anything distinctive the new Lara Croft look is kind of left with no way to stick out in the gaming world which a the E3 made the game seem confusing where noone cared about the new Tomb Raider game because once it again it had no Tomb Raiding or guns, instead they focused on the Hood since it seemed like they were trying to cash in on some of that Assassins Creed Franchise fame and fortune. or talking about her being in therapy reliving the trauma of being the victim having killed hundreds if not thousands of people with machine guns, grenades, killing off legions of samurai with a shotgun, must have been very difficult for her :P

Characters without any kind of trademark such as the new Tomb Raider dont last the test of time and are forgotten about sadly, its not an opinion thing just the way things are where the visible differences mean as much as what creates the personality of the character themself. I often wonder where they got those ideas from? It couldnt have been at a comicon, imagine someone whowing up and saying all of you dressed as Tomb Raider get ready to change your outfits, were throwing that image in the garbage. I just wonder where the whole idea came from. Doesnt matter to me its not my company but I wonder how noone thought the same thing. Kind of goes against that whole "if it aint broke dont fix it" kind of thing.

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 13:51
@BridgetFisher - Lara Croft herself is a trademark, she doesn't need a specific type of clothes for her to be recognizable, the moment you hear Lara Croft you know who she is. If they even tried to do something as stupid as "cashing in some of that AC fame", it would bounce back really quickly and really badly. Again, if last TR wasn't the success it had been, yes, then I would agree with you, TR wouldn't last the test of time, but luckily for all of us, the exact opposite happened, and not only did they saved the franchise, they did it in a good and respectable manner. And as I remember, cosplayers and fans from all over the world embraced the new look of 2013. And like I said somewhere before, it is just a hoodie, not something that AC holds the patent of and not something you will be wearing throughout the game, IMO.

Tecstar70
13th Jun 2014, 13:51
Bridget, you seem to be holding the 1:38 teaser trailer as defining the whole game which I think is rather blinkered. Its a TEASER. No-one can make a definitive assessment of the game from that.

They didn't focus on the hood as a trademark. The hood's purpose in the trailer was concealing her face for several seconds until everyone realised who it was. It is also be indicative of her emotional state, hiding away. I think you are getting far too hung up on this trailer and reading too much into it, which may be a reflection of your personal disappointment with TR2013 (just as my posts probably reflect my total satisfaction with TR2013 as it was my GOTY for 2013)

Lara herself is the trademark. Yes she has the dual pistols of old, but Lara is an icon and always has been. She doesn't need anything else to define her. Lara is unique.

As John Lennon said once "you have all the old records there if you want to reminisce" and its the same with Tomb Raider. If people keep saying "its not like the old games" they are spot on - its not. Move along. If you like the old games go and play them, but this is whats here and now and at some point these comparisons become tedious and pointless.

Let's enjoy the fact that this franchise has had a successful reboot, whatever you think of TR2013, and that the next TR will be even better. CD are obviously keen to listen to the fans and I have every faith they will do their best to deliver a better game than TR2013 was.

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 13:53
^ I couldn't have said it better myself, my point exactly.

ElieHalo
13th Jun 2014, 14:03
~------------------------http:// https://archaeologyoftombraider.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-lara-croft-hoodie.jpg--------------------------------------~

Crystal said that Lara in her new adventure will make new friends but hopefully we will see the Endurance crew in the flashbacks :)

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 14:16
~------------------------http:// https://archaeologyoftombraider.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-lara-croft-hoodie.jpg--------------------------------------~

Crystal said that Lara in her new adventure will make new friends but hopefully we will see the Endurance crew in the flashbacks :)

I really liked the video flashbacks used in TR2013 from sams camera, I would like to see that kind of style utilized, but being that this is a GAME, Id like to be able to play them which would just make something that was fun that much better when it comes to entertainment.

Metalrocks
13th Jun 2014, 14:20
they should. and this time they should be fleshed out more.
sam is a must, she is important to lara and i dont want them to break up. regardless if they are friends or more.

daventry
13th Jun 2014, 14:27
I really liked the video flashbacks used in TR2013 from sams camera, I would like to see that kind of style utilized, but being that this is a GAME, Id like to be able to play them which would just make something that was fun that much better when it comes to entertainment.Thats the type of Flashbacks i do NOT want, i want Lara to move on now and focus on the Now so she can get on with her life and Become a Tomb Raider.
they should. and this time they should be fleshed out more.
sam is a must, she is important to lara and i dont want them to break up. regardless if they are friends or more. Why must she be held back and be comfort with Friends, should ROTTR be a Sims Game now.

Yes Sam was Interesting in TR2013 but she was more like the Damsel in Distress with no real reason for a Second Appearance to make her the Front Line of Attention.

This is Tomb Raider, so witch Game do you want:

Lara Raider or Sam Raider or a Costume Secret so you can play as Sam like in TRA

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 14:30
Thats the type of Flashbacks i do NOT want, i want Lara to move on now and focus on the Now so she can get on with her life and Become a Tomb Raider.Why must she be held back and be comfort with Friends, should ROTTR be a Sims Game now.

I meant I just liked the idea of them that they fleshed out more story without having to say build a whole thing to do it? I liked the idea and would like to play them sort of like minisodes but within the current story or somehow relating to it? I just liked the mechanic and would like to play them I mean in the future.

Someday Lara Croft will be a Tomb Raider again going around raiding tombs, it may take a decade or so, but someday. We can all dream until then at least...

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 14:42
We can all dream until then at least...

Not all, IMO :p

Tecstar70
13th Jun 2014, 14:44
I'll be dreaming until Holiday 2015....

Metalrocks
13th Jun 2014, 14:48
Thats the type of Flashbacks i do NOT want, i want Lara to move on now and focus on the Now so she can get on with her life and Become a Tomb Raider.Why must she be held back and be comfort with Friends, should ROTTR be a Sims Game now.

Yes Sam was Interesting in TR2013 but she was more like the Damsel in Distress with no real reason for a Second Appearance to make her the Front Line of Attention.

This is Tomb Raider, so witch Game do you want:

Lara Raider or Sam Raider or a Costume Secret so you can play as Sam like in TRA

its good to see that lara has friends. i mean, introduce them in the first place and then pretend they dont exist.
yes, sam was a damsel in distress but hse clearly is not as stronged willed as lara. but still, she is very important to lara and vice versa and i like to see how their friendship was developed and proceeding.

regarding flashbacks:
i to like to see them again as well. preferably playable. i enjoyed that little flashback in legend. just i think that we should see and play as lara or sam how they became friends. just to have a little switch from all the serious and dark theme lara is encountering.

Valenka
13th Jun 2014, 14:54
I assume by previous you mean from the last generation games (TR1 through Underworld) and in that case, no. I don't want to see Natla again, nor Zip nor Alister, nor Rutland nor Amanda, despite how much I love her and the doppelganger. The only previous characters that should be included would be from the previous game; Reyes, Jonah and Sam and in flashbacks or memories, Roth, Alex and Grim.

Scion's_Eye
13th Jun 2014, 16:01
I'd have to agree on Daventry for this one.

The game was never about clinging on to some relations in the past. It was moving forward and raiding tombs with different people either helping or getting in the way. Not in the same way anyway.
I mean I loved how Von Croy returned for AoD but the story wasn't focused on him betraying us anymore... and the whole game was sort of flipped on its head in general. If Sam comes back that way, sure.

I just really don't want this origins story to be spread over two games... the other titles didn't need Lara to develop to do what she does best in the end. Partially why TR8 didn't do as well as it did.

pomeranianpuppy
13th Jun 2014, 19:10
It would be a little weird not to have them in it at all after so much of the last game involved them but I only want a few cameos to show they're still alive .

Flashbacks with Roth would be most welcome too.

But the person I really want back in a main cast way is ......WINSTON!

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_small/12/120992/2272652-marcobartoli2.jpg

Remember him? Loved a good loud fart he did :D

Gitb97
13th Jun 2014, 19:18
Nope. And lets kill off Sam please. She's a hindrance.

IvanaKC
13th Jun 2014, 21:59
There should be a "I'm totally indifferent" option. I really, really don't care about side characters at this point of franchise since there won't be any significant cooperation between Lara and her team like there was in Legend. Sure, maybe she can't be alone all the time, but in most of the games she was...

Error96_
15th Jun 2014, 02:34
Should Any of the Surviving Crew (Sam - Joslin - Jonah) be in ROTTR in any form or Level or Flashback

Can I propose a third option. None of the crew back but Winston to make a comeback as a recurring cast. TR desperately needs a better cast of side characters that we can get to know over a few games (not just say hi and then die five minutes later). Winston would be could as a Batman style person Lara can confide in and after all he probably would have most information on Lara's family that she wanted. Sadly I don't think Rayes or Jonah really are exciting enough to become recurring but I would love to see more characters such as a rival Tomb Raider (like Larson and Pierre were) and a shady contact who may shift between helping and hindering Lara and you wait games to see if they are actually a goodie or baddie.

DamianGraham
17th Jun 2014, 03:03

Lets hope the Therapy thing is in the Beginning when you Start a New Game while we see Lara going to some place with some Flashbacks to her Friends as Closure, then the Game should now Focus on Lara and her Adventures without any further Flashbacks of Therapy and her Friends so we can now Focus on the Game and ahead.

They're featured in the comic series thus far, so it stands to reason they will continue to be in the games as well

Metalrocks
17th Jun 2014, 03:27
They're featured in the comic series thus far, so it stands to reason they will continue to be in the games as well

must have missed something. at least in the issues released lara was being chased and now she is on the island again. so i guess this will happen later on in an other issue.

Tihocan
17th Jun 2014, 03:58
Important Question about the Endurance Crew - CD/SE Pay Attention

I'm sorry to nitpick, but really? An important question?
Demanding the attention of CD/SE for a question that has been raised countless times is probably the quickest way to get ignored by the developer.

Your poll options are bi-polar - do or don't. I think some characters can come back, but not the whole crew.

pirate1802
17th Jun 2014, 04:54
Lara is no superhero, she doesn't need a big freaking L painted on her chest to tell people who she is. Sherlock wears what he wears because of where he lives. I doubt he'll wear the same overcoat while crossing the Sahara. her outfit should change depending on her surroundings and not because tradishun!! Nothing breaks my immersion more than seeing a character in his superhero costume - cuz iconic - when nobody in their right mind would wear something like that in that situation.

assassins creed and their hoods.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140118171624/assassinscreed/images/1/14/ACV_gppv_Aveline_Map.png

Metalrocks
17th Jun 2014, 05:17
Lara is no superhero, she doesn't need a big freaking L painted on her chest to tell people who she is. Sherlock wears what he wears because of where he lives. I doubt he'll wear the same overcoat while crossing the Sahara. her outfit should change depending on her surroundings and not because tradishun!! Nothing breaks my immersion more than seeing a character in his superhero costume - cuz iconic - when nobody in their right mind would wear something like that in that situation.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140118171624/assassinscreed/images/1/14/ACV_gppv_Aveline_Map.png

nice. for once, i never really thought about her not wearing a hood.

:lol:@ the lara wearing a L on her chest. that would be funny to see though. maybe an unlockable costume for parody purpose. "super lara: :D:p