PDA

View Full Version : New Deus EX novel [Fan written]

Mankopi
10th Jun 2014, 19:22
There's a new novel based on Deus Ex universe in the works. It is titled DEUS EX - HUMANITY'S LAST. It is free with no strings attached. Check out a preview chapter and freely share your opinion of it. More previews will be coming in the coming weeks. Enjoy.

A strange caller

Adam Jensen frowned and clenched his fists as his phone began to vibrate. For a moment, he felt like ignoring it and continuing with his work but as the vibrations continued and became unbearable, he reached in and brought out the device.

“This better not be a waste of my time,” he said as he looked toward the door leading out of his office.
Adam took a deep breath, looked at the caller id and noticed that it was blocked. Usually that meant that one of his contacts or a person who wished to be anonymous was on the line. Something important must be coming his way, Adam thought.

He took the call. “Hey, Adam Jensen here,” he simply answered.

“Close the door to your office, Mr. Jensen,” a disguised voice said from the other end.

“Why would I want to do that?” Adam asked as he remained glued to his seat.

“Because what I’m about to tell you is for your ears only,” the voice replied. “However, if you choose to remain stubborn and ruin Sarif Industries, I will gladly sit back and welcome your decision.”

Adam hesitated for a moment but finally gave in. He got up, walked to the door and closed it.

“Okay, the door is closed. You better not be messing with me,” Adam said as the tone of his voice betrayed the suspicion building up within him.

“By now, I’m sure this call is already being tracked so we aren’t going to waste a lot of time. Turn on your mobile jammer and connect it to the frequency displayed on your device,” the voice demanded.

“What is so special that you are all paranoid about security?” Adam asked.

“Mr. Jensen, this it isn’t about your safety but about mine,” the voice said. “I’ve already breached their trust by calling you. If they find out what I’m about to tell you, I’m dead!” the voice added with a hidden tone of fear.
Although the speaker tried to remain calm, Adam Jensen could read the fear and tension in the caller’s voice. With the heavy electronic modulation the caller was using, Adam could not even tell if he was talking to a man or a woman.

Adam looked at his device, used the displayed code and did what the caller instructed. “The line is clear. You can talk to me,” Adam said.

“A big fish is about to bite the hook and the pot is already boiling with oil. It is only a matter of time before the fish is cooked, “the voice said as if speaking in code.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Adam asked, obviously confounded by the caller’s use of such cheesy lines.

“I’m sure you are smart enough to figure things out, Mr. Jensen.”

Adam furrowed his brow, then scratched his head as if wondering what the words he just heard meant. Before he could compose himself and say something, the voice came again.

“I wish I could tell you more, Mr. Jensen but I can’t. They are already tracing this call so I have to end it now. I have warned you and you better make the best of the information I just gave you.”

“Can’t you be more specific? Who the hell are ‘they’ and who are you? Who’s the big fish and who’s cooking what? Be more specific, tell me what I need to know,” Adam demanded but before he could complete his sentence the line went dead.

Adam was left puzzled. He could not make any sense out of what the caller had just said to him. Obviously, with his job as chief of security at Sarif industries, Adam wondered if the danger the caller was talking about had to do with his company. Could it be that the big fish was his boss David Sarif?

“That’s too obvious,” he said as his mind went into overtime. “If the life of David Sarif was in danger, I’m sure the contact would have just said it,” Adam thought to himself. Unfortunately he did not even seem to convince himself about his assumptions. He knew there had to be more to whatever was going on.

“There’s obviously more to this than meets the eyes,” Adam said as he walked back to his desk. Just then, he heard the sounds of approaching footsteps. He took his seat and waited for the door to open.

Miyavi
4th Oct 2014, 04:28
Did you write this, I'd def. like to get in on this >.>

Mankopi
4th Oct 2014, 04:35
Yes I did. There's a whole more story to tell if there is an audience. :). Most importantly, it's free. Help me spread the word and I will have a lot more stories to tell. I love deus ex. Anything that furthers the stories makes me happy.

Miyavi
4th Oct 2014, 18:46
I meant join in as I write as well. But that's okay, don't mind seeing what you come up with. Keep it up.