PDA

View Full Version : Official Lara's looks discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 09:55
From head to toe, here is our usual Lara's looks discussion thread, to talk about anything related to her appearence.

Edit: new pics:

http://driber.net//tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/FindTheLegendWithin/t/019.jpg (http://driber.net//tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/FindTheLegendWithin/019.jpg) http://driber.net//tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/FindTheLegendWithin/t/032.jpg (http://driber.net//tr/assets/tr10/screenshots/FindTheLegendWithin/032.jpg)
http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/renders/t/BoxArtRender_1920x1080.jpg (http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/renders/BoxArtRender_1920x1080.jpg)http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/renders/t/BoxArtRender_closeup1.jpg (http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/renders/BoxArtRender_closeup1.jpg)

Edit: new pic of Lara's face!

http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/misc/t/gi_screen01.jpg (http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/misc/gi_screen01.jpg) http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/misc/t/1503_rottrbg_v01.jpg (http://driber.net/tr/assets/tr10/misc/1503_rottrbg_v01.jpg)

/edit

So now that new Lara has finally been revealed, what are your thoughts on her looks? Do you love it, do you hate it, or are there some smaller things you'd like to see changed?

Does she resemble her voice and mocap actress Camilla Luddington (http://blog.linio.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/CAMILLA-LUDDINGTON_TOMB-RAIDER_FILM_.jpg) as some people think? Or does she look like any other celeb?

What about Lara's hair? Should she have braids, ponytail, loose hair, or other?

Should she have permanent scars on her body from the ordeals at Yamatai, or are scars ugly?

Does TR10 Lara look more like classic Lara, as some have suggested?

Okay... discuss! :)

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2014, 10:08
Well, I think she looks great, she resembles the 2013 model, so there's nothing off there.
No, she doesn't look like Camilla to me, just plain Lara ^^
Regarding her hair, I think ponytail is the way to go, and in some scenes loose hair ^^ Would be nice to have an option to switch between braid and ponytail, 'cause I would play them both, I'd imagine Lara likes to do her hair so she would always make a different "hairstyle" every time she goes on an adventure :D or maybe this is just the RPG fan in me speaking, as I would also like to have many outfits that I can unlock and play with :) And I guess you and I agree on what kind of short hair would suit her, Driber :D
Regarding the scars, I think they're cool, they should stay, but not in a ugly, in-your-face way... Maybe some major ones should stay, like the one whe she got impaled, other ones should heal :) And I gotta say, now that you mention it, I do get a little bit of that classic vibe, but in a modern way, which is cool :3

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2014, 10:14
well, as d1no said about the hair that we agreed on. not too long, not too short, just right :D

ok, about the face, she looks beautiful and just like the 2013 model. good to see they kept it that way. well, at least i hope it will be in the final product and ingame graphics.
and i for sure like to see her main scars like on her hip and the shot wound on her arm. this is a must have. this will show that lara really went through a horrific ordeal.

Wh1t3Kn1te
10th Jun 2014, 11:30
i didn't have a problem with anything about her appearance, i just can't get used to seeing her in a hoodie lol

Valenka
10th Jun 2014, 12:57
Well, to start on a positive note, I've always loved Lara's looks, even though I didn't much care for her appearance in Legend or Anniversary. However, in ROTTR, I think this is her best appearance yet. Despite this though, I'm disappointed that her appearance was changed...again. I thought she looked great in Tomb Raider, then even better in the Definitive Edition and now she looks even better here, but I really wish they'd just stick to one look. There isn't really a need to change her look three times in two games. :scratch:

What I did love that I noticed in the trailer though is that when the psychiatrist is speaking with her - or to her, rather - and she cups her hands together, you can see the scars and wounds from her time on Yamatai. Wonderful attention to detail and I'm curious to see if her other scars will be present on the arms and chest as well.

Wearing a hood is not new to the franchise; it was seen in the original Tomb Raider and The Last Revelation as well as one of the films. However, seeing her wear an actual hoodie is quite interesting; it reminds me that she is indeed her age and it's more realistic street-wear, especially in England. Having what I assume is her default outfit have a hood on it as well is interesting and points toward harsher climates, maybe Antarctica or Nepal.

Lastly, I'm glad to see consistency in Lara keeping the bow and pickaxe from her previous adventure but I'm a little concerned; I understand that we're meant to forget the previous Lara we know from long ago, but in my opinion, Lara is not Lara without dual pistols and I am understandably a little sceptical with my fear that we may not see her wield twin handguns again. I'm also concerned about the bow thanks to a piece of concept art that shows the makeshift bow from TR13; I really hope they aren't going to re-use too many models and textures from the previous game and I certainly hope the enemies' weapons are more varied. I really don't want to see enemies carrying the same weapon as Lara, especially if it's something as unique as a competition bow. Which brings me to my last comment, that when I finished TR13 and TRDE, Lara had the competition bow; unless they plan on having her lose a better weapon early on in the game, I really do not want to spend time acquiring salvage to repeat the upgrade process from TR13/TRDE unless it's refined or there are different/better weapons to upgrade. Otherwise, some aspects about the game will be a mere copy and paste job and we all know how much I hate that. :p

TL;DR: Lara looks great, I just have a few concerns and fears.

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 14:27
Wearing a hood is not new to the franchise; it was seen in the original Tomb Raider and The Last Revelation as well as one of the films.

That's a good point, well spotted!

joxdbe_tombraider1Hood.jpg

jjesee_screen11.jpg

Valenka
10th Jun 2014, 14:47

Thank you. :)
I've an obnoxious attention to detail.

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2014, 14:53

i still cant get it out of my head that this pic, just looks like this.
jqmgeq_76506-345928-assassins-creed-yecio-ubijca-klinki-igra-1280x1024-www-gdefon-ru.jpg
just without the beard of course. :p

pirate1802
10th Jun 2014, 15:30
I actually thought it was an AC trailer, set in modern times. Then I saw the falling into water flashback and I was like... holy ****e!

Personally I love her new looks, and dress in general. A certain dirty groungy feel, like the previous one but better. One thing though, this is CG Lara. I won't be surprised if ingame Lara looks completely different (just like last time, in the standard edition atleast.)

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 15:47
Thank you. :)
I've an obnoxious attention to detail.

Oh snap :D

i still cant get it out of my head that this pic, just looks like this.
jqmgeq_76506-345928-assassins-creed-yecio-ubijca-klinki-igra-1280x1024-www-gdefon-ru.jpg
just without the beard of course. :p

That just gave me an idea for a winning formula...

TR + AC =

:D

pirate1802
10th Jun 2014, 15:52
still sexy. 10/10 would run my hand through that beard...wait what?

pomeranianpuppy
10th Jun 2014, 20:27
Oh snap :D

That just gave me an idea for a winning formula...

TR + AC =

RISE LIKE A TOMB RAIDER PHOENIX! :D

Ellie92
10th Jun 2014, 20:33
I just hope Lara won't look like a total different lady again in the next game. I really hate those changes... :/

Relight-TRHQ
10th Jun 2014, 21:56
She's looking good, but I still prefer the original TR9 look (NOT the DE). They spent so much time and work on that look, being a reboot and all, that I really feel that they perfected it and nailed it in their painstaking process that was specifically designed and undertaken to bring in a new audience. I don't think that the new Lara needed any further refinement, in either the DE or now in ROTTR.

XylophoneDealers
10th Jun 2014, 22:05
I think Lara looks stunning. Although, I would like the see some more images and screenshots (and gameplay trailers :D :D :D ) to get a better perception of what she looks like. But I think she looks great. I don't mind what hair she has. Love the hood and jacket making a return.

Chocolate_shake
11th Jun 2014, 08:14
I love her looks . She looks like Tr9 lara who has aged and become hardened . The same girl who said " I'm not going home"

d1n0_xD
11th Jun 2014, 08:19
^ I don't think she looks aged at all, and she isn't xD

Tallantis
11th Jun 2014, 09:54
She looks like the 2013 Lara, I hope she ages a bit. But it's hard to tell right now.

XylophoneDealers
11th Jun 2014, 10:44
I didn't even realise that she had scars on her hands in the trailer -.-

chriss_99
11th Jun 2014, 11:53
Her new look reminds me of Lisbeth Salander.

http://filmpulse.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo.png

And I'm really happy about that ;)

Ellie92
11th Jun 2014, 12:08
Ergh... Noomi Rapace is the only true Lisbeth Salander.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5hlp0mnls1qb5sn0o1_500.jpg

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 12:14
This is an odd problem, I think one thing the devs should do instead of trying to create one image everyone will like is allow for some sort of skin chooser with different looks to Lara, maybe one with a braid, a classic lara, a new lara. Not outfits but actual facial features and hair styles, like a night out latter to keep her classy too. In other games that have offered this in the past I often enjoy playing through the entire game with each look of a character. Maybe that would be a good option for them so they could spend less time developing just one look which some people may like and others not like, this way everyone wins and everyone is happy instead of a small niche group of players? Reaching a wider audience I think would be better so TR sells more copies to get another sequel.

chriss_99
11th Jun 2014, 12:16
Ergh... Noomi Rapace is the only true Lisbeth Salander.

I was referring to a fictional character, not the actress. ;)

d1n0_xD
11th Jun 2014, 12:25
This is an odd problem, I think one thing the devs should do instead of trying to create one image everyone will like is allow for some sort of skin chooser with different looks to Lara, maybe one with a braid, a classic lara, a new lara. Not outfits but actual facial features and hair styles, like a night out latter to keep her classy too. In other games that have offered this in the past I often enjoy playing through the entire game with each look of a character. Maybe that would be a good option for them so they could spend less time developing just one look which some people may like and others not like, this way everyone wins and everyone is happy. Unless hmmm the devs might want to force their own look on players instead of letting players choose I think seems to be the trend Im noticing from the last CD game with its lack of customization. As if is our way or the highway kind of mentality which of course only ever appeals to people who think that one way failing to ever reach a wider audience. I felt this way with remember me.

The games never had a customizeable face option, why should it now? Only things you could change are the outfits, and I do want that feature back, unlocking many outfits and wearing them whenever you want, since we're not on the island anymore. I mean, TR I and TR II/III Lara were different in the face, TR II and TR TRC were different and nobody complains about that. Now we have a final look and it looks like Lara from the previous game and it's great. I don't see how they're forcing the look on us, since we never had an option to choose.

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 12:30
The games never had a customizeable face option, why should it now? Only things you could change are the outfits, and I do want that feature back, unlocking many outfits and wearing them whenever you want, since we're not on the island anymore. I mean, TR I and TR II/III Lara were different in the face, TR II and TR TRC were different and nobody complains about that. Now we have a final look and it looks like Lara from the previous game and it's great. I don't see how they're forcing the look on us, since we never had an option to choose.

Well the new lara changed her "look" a bunch of times as screenshots indicate in various versions. Also people do like different looks for lara, alot of people didnt buy the last game because she looked to ordinary or plain. Having different looks would allow the game to reach a wider audience rather than just the people who liked that one look that changed anyways.

Outfits would be awesome! maybe change them at camp would work? Pretty sure Saints Row was the only game where the developers figured out how to use a custom created character in cut scenes breaking the fourth wall of gaming, if that info is patented I dont think anyone else would know how to do it which may explain why lara gets stuck with just one way to look?

d1n0_xD
11th Jun 2014, 12:37
Well the new lara changed her "look" a bunch of times as screenshots indicate in various versions. Also people do like different looks for lara, alot of people didnt buy the last game because she looked to ordinary or plain. Having different looks would allow the game to reach a wider audience rather than just the people who liked that one look that changed anyways.

Outfits would be awesome! maybe change them at camp would work? Pretty sure Saints Row was the only game where the developers figured out how to use a custom created character in cut scenes breaking the fourth wall of gaming, if that info is patented I dont think anyone else would know how to do it which may explain why lara gets stuck with just one way to look?

Well, as long as the cutscenes are rendered in-game, it shouldn't be a problem to have Lara look the way you made her look. I think those people who didn't buy the game because of her face are a minority, given the success the game had. But, what I don't understand is, what face-features make this Lara look ordinary and other Laras don't?

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 12:50
Well, as long as the cutscenes are rendered in-game, it shouldn't be a problem to have Lara look the way you made her look. I think those people who didn't buy the game because of her face are a minority, given the success the game had. But, what I don't understand is, what face-features make this Lara look ordinary and other Laras don't?

Im not sure what faces look ordinary, thats all subjective but alot of people did comment on that if you google look and face characteristic discussions. Seems there are differences of opinion on her face among the community, likes and dislikes which is normal I think. I just want this game to sell alot so we get the next TR game where Lara Croft is a Tomb Raider. I dont want any chances more people skip buying this one over something as silly as her "look", though people are quite fickle that way.

d1n0_xD
11th Jun 2014, 12:55
^ And once again, I get the feeling you're not making your own judgement, your own choice, but rather listen to what other people say. You want this game to sell a lot, but you won't buy it? And yeah, some people skipped buying, but what does that tell? Nothing. The game was a huge success. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be talking about RotTR right now. Yes, people are fickle that way, but are you?

Lukass
11th Jun 2014, 14:00
She looks absolutely gorgeous. Classic like.

I wonder of they're finally going to keep her face the same as in the trailer. I really do want her to look exactly like that in the game.

Why is it so hard to keep the face? :/ we've had like 3 faces for the reboot Lara and each was different. CGI, renders and in game Lara looked like a 3 different persons.

Lycantendencies
11th Jun 2014, 17:39

When I saw this shot in the trailer, it really had me thinking of Rhona Mitra.
I also thought it had a little of Camilla Luddington in later on.
Neither of these things were negatives to me.
I liked what I saw.

dark7angel
11th Jun 2014, 17:50
When I saw this shot in the trailer, it really had me thinking of Rhona Mitra.

OMG! You are so right!!!! I was going over and over in my head trying to figure out who she reminded me and that's it! Rhona Mitra! :worship:

Psychomorph
11th Jun 2014, 20:47
Looks good.

a_big_house
11th Jun 2014, 20:55
Although nothing to do with her looks, I actually though she sounded like Kate Beckinsale when she spoke in the trailer... so I guess Camilla has been practicing her accents ;)

But, yeah, I'm waiting to see actually gameplay stills to decide on what I think about her looks, although I'll end up liking them anyway :D

Valenka
11th Jun 2014, 21:23
I love Camilla Luddington, don't get me wrong, but I would really love Rhona Mitra to portray Lara again, perhaps in the next film if they decide to make one.

Wh1t3Kn1te
11th Jun 2014, 23:59
regarding the hood, i think its because so much of her face is covered. she is a beautiful woman and shouldn't cover it, thats why it didnt bother me so much in the first game and movie.

that image of Lara and Ezio merged is going to haunt me for the rest of my life, thank you :) (some one buy her some no-no) lol

pomeranianpuppy
12th Jun 2014, 01:50
^ If you mean the super gorgeous/beautiful/amazing Conchita who won the Eurovision song contest with the best song ever,
then she can haunt me for the rest of my life and I'll die happy ;)

ToqNa0rqUtY

RybatGrimes
12th Jun 2014, 01:59
Does Lara have on fingerless gloves in the trailer? When she's in the cave something is covering most of her hand but I can't tell if it's a long sleeve or if it's gloves.

Please let it be gloves. ;~;

Scion's_Eye
12th Jun 2014, 02:46
I don't know about you guys but it seems like they enlarged her bottom lip a little, which I was really happy about. But Lara isn't an Assassin... and no matter how much you argue she wore hoods in the other series, you cannot honestly tell me they looked like the current one.
But if it's an unlockable outfit then why not. I hope they bring that feature back.

_Ninja_
12th Jun 2014, 07:18
So hoods are assassin exclusive now that Assassin's Creed borrowed it from everything else under the sun that has a hooded hero?

I doubt that's going to be Lara's in game outfit. They just put it in the trailer for the mysterious vibe.

XylophoneDealers
12th Jun 2014, 12:04
So hoods are assassin exclusive now that Assassin's Creed borrowed it from everything else under the sun that has a hooded hero?

I doubt that's going to be Lara's in game outfit. They just put it in the trailer for the mysterious vibe.

I agree. I think the hood was there too so that people, at first, wouldn't know who it was in the trailer. Since it was a reveal trailer of course...

dark7angel
12th Jun 2014, 13:07
I agree. I think the hood was there too so that people, at first, wouldn't know who it was in the trailer. Since it was a reveal trailer of course...

Exactly! It was meant to keep people guessing who it was, from what game, until she finally reveals herself as Lara Croft.

Valenka
12th Jun 2014, 13:08

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head. If people are going to complain that Lara shouldn't wear a hood because Altair/Ezio/Connor/Edward did it first, then I hope they plan on bringing back the argument about Uncharted and how Nathan Drake shouldn't exist because Indiana Jones did it first.

pirate1802
12th Jun 2014, 13:24
The hood played its part pretty well. I didn't even know it was TR until my friends started messaging me and asked am I dead yet, lol.

Lycantendencies
12th Jun 2014, 13:43
I wouldn't mind a hooded Lara if she was, for instance, in a cold place. Outfits that accurately suit where she is can only add to the believability imo, and have been used to great effect before.

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
12th Jun 2014, 20:13
i'm in love with Lara's new look.
not only does she look incredibly beautiful, but her wardrobe
is sensible. it's also very modern. if SE provides more outfits
like the one in the trailer for ROTTR, i think Lara is going to have
some bad ass style. :thumb::thumb:

also, still kind of hope that there will be a moment in the game
with her hair down. that'd be awesome :)

Murphdawg1
12th Jun 2014, 23:42
I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head. If people are going to complain that Lara shouldn't wear a hood because Altair/Ezio/Connor/Edward did it first, then I hope they plan on bringing back the argument about Uncharted and how Nathan Drake shouldn't exist because Indiana Jones did it first.

I have no problem with her wearing a hood. I just think it speaks to how much Assassin's Creed has contributed to gaming culture that when people see something like that their instinct is to go "Oh hey she looks like she's an Assassin." Lara wearing a hood like that could be a way for her to slip through some area undetected. Just imagine for a second Lara somewhere in a dark area with some baddies and she's wearing the hoodie, she puts the hood and stays in the shadows and gets out without ever being noticed.

Wh1t3Kn1te
13th Jun 2014, 00:21
^i really hope there are more stealth situations in this game, and they don't force you to kill everything you see. yeah it was possible to manage it in a few areas in the first game, but it was rare.

Scion's_Eye
13th Jun 2014, 01:37

Christ, there's no problem of her wearing a hood at all except it's nearly in the *exact* same style of the assassin hood. Just makes it seem ripped off to make her seem cool, even though she's just awesome on her own.
But it's just a trailer, so there's no point in getting hurt over 30 seconds xD

Metalrocks
13th Jun 2014, 02:01
^i really hope there are more stealth situations in this game, and they don't force you to kill everything you see. yeah it was possible to manage it in a few areas in the first game, but it was rare.

me too. stealth could have worked great but in the end you are forced to kill everyone. at the very beginning it was nice but also very scripted.

and about the hood. sure not a big thing, but it clearly shows that that it does remind a lot of people of AC the way its shown in the trailer.

also, reported that post of 4O2w9dV7L.

IvanaKC
13th Jun 2014, 12:36
She looks fine for now, but I hope it will also be an in-game model. I don't think she resembles Camilla. From my point of view, Lara looks a bit older - her face looks like a few years older model from the previous game. What I like now about her is definitely her eyes. They are now as they were in LAU trilogy, and since I like Lara's look from there, of course I won't complain.

All in all, developers did change her face a bit, which is good because that's like a TR tradition - new face for a new game. :D

As for that hood, it's a welcome change. Just because AC characters wore it, doesn't mean everyone who wears it should be arrested. However, we'll see what kind of use will Lara have from it. If it's for cold weather only, that would be perfect because I would like to have a nice look on her hair while playing.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 12:45
She looks fine for now, but I hope it will also be an in-game model. I don't think she resembles Camilla. From my point of view, Lara looks a bit older - her face looks like a few years older model from the previous game. What I like now about her is definitely her eyes. They are now as they were in LAU trilogy, and since I like Lara's look from there, of course I won't complain.

All in all, developers did change her face a bit, which is good because that's like a TR tradition - new face for a new game. :D

As for that hood, it's a welcome change. Just because AC characters wore it, doesn't mean everyone who wears it should be arrested. However, we'll see what kind of use will Lara have from it. If it's for cold weather only, that would be perfect because I would like to have a nice look on her hair while playing.

I think alot of people made the Lara is a copy Assassins Creed connection because both games were shown at E3. If only one was shown I dont think anyone would have said much about it. Seems noone planned ahead on that part to further define Lara Croft as her own character in the gaming world instead of copying someone else. Due to her loss in status as any kind of gaming icon in modern gaming and more of a generic girl next door, it seems many would connect the two solely because both games were shown at the same time and Lara Croft now kinda has no identity like she used to with the twin guns and tight exploring outfits. Now shes kinda well just another character like Far Cry, Just Cause, etc. Lara Croft has no real trademarks of her own anymore to make her stand out since they were all stripped away.

Im just glad the trend of getting rid of classic characters didnt catch on elsewhere in the industry, like taking away Marios Red hat, or making Master Chief into a 9-5 office worker filled with mini games possibly involving collating, or refilling inkjet printer cartridges.

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 13:11
The hood is just a clever device to hide her face; it show insecurity, a mind that has a lot of things going inside. I think she won't even have an outfit like that the game, people make the stupidest connections, I swear. (this isn't aimed at anyone here, read it somewhere and I'm baffled how peoples' minds work sometimes) The only thing that makes a hoodie AC-like is that damn triangle, nothing else. If she had that, that would be suspicious, but damn it's a regular hoodie.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 13:52
The hood is just a clever device to hide her face; it show insecurity, a mind that has a lot of things going inside. I think she won't even have an outfit like that the game, people make the stupidest connections, I swear. (this isn't aimed at anyone here, read it somewhere and I'm baffled how peoples' minds work sometimes) The only thing that makes a hoodie AC-like is that damn triangle, nothing else. If she had that, that would be suspicious, but damn it's a regular hoodie.

Rule one: Never underestimate the power of human stupidity XDD
Applying the principal of Occam's Razor to this or any intro to marketing class from college the root of the problem is clear. While what you said might have been what their going for its way to abstract for people to pick up on without having it spoon fed to them.

People will instead resort to the simplest answer, such as, hey there is a new AC game coming out. Oh wow, look at this trailer that girl looks likes an assassin, oh its Lara Croft, then they all go, Why is Lara Croft ripping off assassins creed? Sadly the trailer for ROTTR didnt show anything interesting about the game, so it didnt leave people with much to talk about except to make fun of it for the therapy thing since she did all the killing, and the AC copycat thing. I know thats what I would have said if I was in a room and screened that trailer prior to E3. Sometimes its better to show nothing at all if there is nothing ready to be shown anyways.

People are simple mostly, which explains what happened, but maybe there are other untested hypostheses we should explore?

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 13:58
^ But the thing is, they didn't show the therapy only, they showed Lara Croft kicking ass, and if people just listened for a moment, they would recognize the irony of it all. Therapist is saying that she should go out out more, leave the house, have a walk, pick up a hobby, be who she is, and in that moment we see that she's doing exactly that, but even better, she's out there, raiding tombs, getting chased by bears and you know what? She has an entirely different outfit when she reveals her face, a jacket with that fluffy stuff XD Nothing even remotely reminiscent of AC, IMO.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 14:13
^ But the thing is, they didn't show the therapy only, they showed Lara Croft kicking ass, and if people just listened for a moment, they would recognize the irony of it all. Therapist is saying that she should go out out more, leave the house, have a walk, pick up a hobby, be who she is, and in that moment we see that she's doing exactly that, but even better, she's out there, raiding tombs, getting chased by bears and you know what? She has an entirely different outfit when she reveals her face, a jacket with that fluffy stuff XD Nothing even remotely reminiscent of AC, IMO.

That is what fans saw, I think the trailer is a good one for fans, but everyone else outside that niche group didnt get it hence the reaction. A more general trailer literally spoon feeding them whats going on would have done a better job.

The trailer came off like when you have a professor at school is super smart but cant teach what they know in simple terms, the trailer does the same thing, its very abstract to the point that unless the person watching is a fan of the reboot they wont get it. Since the game never caught on that much until after a long time of being on the shelf, the trailer never had a chance of resonating since most gamers didnt even pick up the rebooted version of if they did maybe never even played it?

Usually if you slap a gaming legends name on a box, from Mario, to Halo, your guaranteed millions of sales, but with the TR reboot everyone knew it wasnt anything like the original so people sorta didnt jump on it. Even Superman 64 was the best selling game when it came out. Just showing that usually a BIG name means sales as SE anticipated but with the internet today, people talk about games prior to release, and since everyone read and knew that the new game was nothing like the old ones the big sales never materialized.

Tecstar70
13th Jun 2014, 14:25
That is what fans saw, I think the trailer is a good one for fans, but everyone else outside that niche group didnt get it hence the reaction. A more general trailer literally spoon feeding them whats going on would have done a better job.

That statement is a little sweeping. I think anyone interested in gaming would know who Lara Croft/Tomb Raider is. While there is some reliance on the previous games storyline at the end of the day it was a TEASER. There was the character background intermixed with some action-orientated visuals that grabbed attention. The more general trailer you speak of will be forthcoming.

While its not exactly science, ROTTR is riding at number one as the Game of E3 on the CVG website aheda of Batman and The Division, so must have had some wide recognition judging by what else is on the list?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/467819/ratings/vote-your-game-of-e3/

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 14:27
@Bridget - But the sales did materialize... And in your opinion, what did the trailer had to show in order the non-fans to get what's going on? I mean, of course you had to play the game to know what's going on, and if some fans hated the new direction and didn't play the game, I think they wouldn't care much for this game too so their opinion shouldn't count, IMO, because they have no idea what they're talking about.

I mean, when I saw the trailer for Witcher 3 back in the day, I was kinda aware of the game, but didn't know what's going on so I researched a bit, even played the 2 previous game and liked them really much, and I suddenly understood what were the trailers about, the monsters being people, the Wild Hunt and everything xD

Tecstar70
13th Jun 2014, 14:30
the big sales never materialized.

mmm. Again I would disagree. Yes, SE expected (in my opinion) way bigger says than were realistic but it depends whether you define "big" as "profitable".

The game had sold more than 1 million copies in less than forty-eight hours of its release. In the United Kingdom, Tomb Raider debuted at number one on the charts, and became the biggest UK title launch in 2013, surpassing the sales of Aliens: Colonial Marines, before being overtaken by Grand Theft Auto V.

Tomb Raider set a new record for the franchise, more than doubling the debut sales of Tomb Raider: Legend. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Tomb Raider set new week one records as the fastest-selling individual formats of any Tomb Raider title so far, a record which was previously held by Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

Tomb Raider also topped the charts in France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United States.

On 26 March 2013, Square Enix announced that the game sold 3.4 million copies worldwide at retail, but has failed to reach predicted sales targets.However, on 29 March 2013, Crystal Dynamics defended Tomb Raider's sales, stating the reboot had the "most successful launch" of any game this year in addition to setting a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

On 22 August 2013, Darrell Gallagher, head of product development and studios for Square Enix, announced on Gamasutra that the game sold more than 4 million copies worldwide.
On 17 January 2014, Scot Amos, executive producer of Tomb Raider, revealed that at the end of 2013 the game achieved profitability.
On 3 February 2014, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, a re-release for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, debuted atop of the UK charts.
On 6 March 2014, Gallagher predicted that the game will surpass 6 million units by the end of the month

pirate1802
13th Jun 2014, 14:30
the trailer never had a chance of resonating since most gamers didnt even pick up the rebooted version of if they did maybe never even played it?

I keep seeing things like this but how does one come to this assumption? Most people didn't like the bow/didn't like the gamers/didn't buy it... whaa..?

I mean, when I saw the trailer for Witcher 3 back in the day, I was kinda aware of the game, but didn't know what's going on so I researched a bit, even played the 2 previous game and liked them really much, and I suddenly understood what were the trailers about, the monsters being people, the Wild Hunt and everything xD[/COLOR]

Yeah, as a nonfan I understood that Uncharted 4 wouldn't solely consist of rotating your camera around a statue of Nate (as seen in the trailer) so that argument doesn't fly, sorry. Nonfans doesn't equate to braindead people.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 14:35
I keep seeing things like this but how does one come to this assumption? Most people didn't like the bow/didn't like the gamers/didn't buy it... whaa..?

I notice that as well if you ask general gaming forums that is typical of responses from other people who post online. Even fan forums I learned recently call the rebooted version "New Raider" in a condescending manner implying it is not worthy of the original "Tomb Raider" name, which may be due mostly to it being a game that has nothing to do with tombs or raiding. Gotta admit when I played TR2013 I often wondered if it was meant to be a Tomb Raider game at all, or a new IP. I think it would have been a successful new IP personally, acting as another jewel in the crown of awesome games that Eidos makes.

That and the others general statements we have all heard a million times so I wont repeat them :P

d1n0_xD
13th Jun 2014, 14:39
^ If it was a new IP, it would be slapped as a rip-off of Tomb Raider and then fans would complain to CD that a TR game would've been great if CD decided to put resources in it instead of the new IP, IMO.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 14:45
^ If it was a new IP, it would be slapped as a rip-off of Tomb Raider and then fans would complain to CD that a TR game would've been great if CD decided to put resources in it instead of the new IP, IMO.

I dont think anyone would have complained, the main character is very original in design, being the anti-lara. Such as she is not rich, doesnt raid tombs, doesnt use duel guns, doesnt have a manor, no upper class speech mannerisms. I think it would have been original enough to pull it off? The new series is such a diversion from the past putting them side by side I can find very few similarities so I would say it could be its own IP, I dont think just having a female as the lead would make people think Tomb Raider, specially since there are no tombs. There are lots of games where a Female is the main protagonist from borderlands, to the AC series, but noone thinks their Tomb Raider wannabes, the brand image of Tomb Raider was alot more than just being Female, as it used to involve tombs and raiding.

pirate1802
13th Jun 2014, 14:46
I notice that as well if you ask general gaming forums that is typical of responses from other people who post online. Even fan forums I learned recently call the rebooted version "New Raider" in a condescending manner implying it is not worthy of the original "Tomb Raider" name, which may be due mostly to it being a game that has nothing to do with tombs or raiding. Gotta admit when I played TR2013 I often wondered if it was meant to be a Tomb Raider game at all, or a new IP. I think it would have been a successful new IP personally, acting as another jewel in the crown of awesome games that Eidos makes.

That and the others general statements we have all heard a million times so I wont repeat them :P

I'm curious because I've heard the opposite, on youtube, on TR's own facebook page. Seems like people who liked the game are more than those who utterly despised it. And the bow, nearly everyone likes the bow, those I've seen commenting. Sure people miss dual pistols but "i miss pistols" almost never translates to "i hate bows". Even people who hate the game said the combat and the bow was one of the few positives.

I dont think anyone would have complained, the main character is very original in design, being the anti-lara. Such as she is not rich, doesnt raid tombs, doesnt use duel guns, doesnt have a manor, no upper class speech mannerisms. I think it would have been original enough to pull it off? The new series is such a diversion from the past putting them side by side I can find very few similarities so I would say it could be its own IP, I dont think just having a female as the lead would make people think Tomb Raider, specially since there are no tombs. There are lots of games where a Female is the main protagonist from borderlands, to the AC series, but noone thinks their Tomb Raider wannabes, the brand image of Tomb Raider was alot more than just being Female, as it used to involve tombs and raiding.

Yes because another female British archaeologist exploring the ancients doesn't sound like TR at all..

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 14:48
I'm curious because I've heard the opposite, on youtube, on TR's own facebook page. Seems like people who liked the game are more than those who utterly despised it. And the bow, nearly everyone likes the bow, those I've seen commenting. Sure people miss dual pistols but "i miss pistols" almost never translates to "i hate bows". Even people who hate the game said the combat and the bow was one of the few positives.

When it comes to social media, in general people dont usually bother posting to pages when it comes to facebook culture, it happens but has to be pretty huge. Much like forums for specific games like this one or any other forum. There may be differences of opinion but often not as much discussion on other negative aspects since well if people dont care they just dont bother.

pirate1802
13th Jun 2014, 15:00
When it comes to social media, in general people dont usually bother posting to pages when it comes to facebook culture, it happens but has to be pretty huge. Much like forums for specific games like this one or any other forum. There may be differences of opinion but often not as much discussion on other negative aspects since well if people dont care they just dont bother.

No actually it's the opposite, its a rule of the internetz: Disgruntled people are more likely to make their frustrations heard than satisfied fans. take a look at any gaming forum, you'll find people ****ting on them, yet these games are rated highly by general fans.

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 15:05
No actually it's the opposite, its a rule of the internetz: Disgruntled people are more likely to make their frustrations heard than satisfied fans. take a look at any gaming forum, you'll find people ****ting on them, yet these games are rated highly by general fans.

Even the internet has culture though and trends, and people usually take more to general forums when discussing gaming in general. Going to a specific site of the developer for example to express rage doesnt always happen, a glance at the steam forums for example would show this with developers such as Ubisoft or others that have an almost zero level of community interaction on steam outside of their specific forum same with Capcom, yet people will complain much more on the general site than on specific forums since its usually seen as bad taste to do so, and just results in bans or posts being removed as seen with Infected Survivor stories for example. Internet denizens do learn from these and so they have their own way of posting these things in general it seems.

Murphdawg1
13th Jun 2014, 23:06
Sales wise AC is definitely the bigger franchise however I'd say Lara Croft is a bigger icon simply because she's constant while the AC games often have different protagonists with every game(Ezio trilogy aside). The last sales figures we've heard on the reboot were was roughly what 6 million? That should be considered very respectable by anyone's standards, Assassin's Creed III did 12 million by itself.

IvanaKC
13th Jun 2014, 23:22
I think alot of people made the Lara is a copy Assassins Creed connection because both games were shown at E3. If only one was shown I dont think anyone would have said much about it. Seems noone planned ahead on that part to further define Lara Croft as her own character in the gaming world instead of copying someone else. Due to her loss in status as any kind of gaming icon in modern gaming and more of a generic girl next door, it seems many would connect the two solely because both games were shown at the same time and Lara Croft now kinda has no identity like she used to with the twin guns and tight exploring outfits. Now shes kinda well just another character like Far Cry, Just Cause, etc. Lara Croft has no real trademarks of her own anymore to make her stand out since they were all stripped away.

Im just glad the trend of getting rid of classic characters didnt catch on elsewhere in the industry, like taking away Marios Red hat, or making Master Chief into a 9-5 office worker filled with mini games possibly involving collating, or refilling inkjet printer cartridges.

You just can't quit hating new Lara-without-guns-and-braid, now can you? :p
Seems like the new game has a potential to bring us back Lara we used to know, but you do realize that they had to change something, otherwise the whole TR series would simply die with TRU?

Sales wise AC is definitely the bigger franchise however I'd say Lara Croft is a bigger icon simply because she's constant while the AC games often have different protagonists with every game(Ezio trilogy aside). The last sales figures we've heard on the reboot were was roughly what 6 million? That should be considered very respectable by anyone's standards, Assassin's Creed III did 12 million by itself.

Yeah, but doesn't it bother you that despite Lara being constant, AC has more fans in a few years of existing than Lara in her 20 years? As much as I like Lara, something should be changed. Developers tried with reboot, but I'm an optimist and say that they should try harder. If a fan isn't amused, than bringing someone new into liking a franchise is kinda hard. We'll see with the new game.

Murphdawg1
14th Jun 2014, 00:01
Yeah, but doesn't it bother you that despite Lara being constant, AC has more fans in a few years of existing than Lara in her 20 years? As much as I like Lara, something should be changed. Developers tried with reboot, but I'm an optimist and say that they should try harder. If a fan isn't amused, than bringing someone new into liking a franchise is kinda hard. We'll see with the new game.

Not really as I like both. I got introduced to AC first with AC III and then I got into Tomb Raider with the reboot. Who knows what the explanation is for AC selling more, it could be the unique historical periods you get to visit, it could just be that Ubisoft is much larger and markets each AC pretty heavily or it could come down to Lara being a female character and some gamers avoiding Tomb Raider because of that.

IvanaKC
14th Jun 2014, 10:00
Not really as I like both. I got introduced to AC first with AC III and then I got into Tomb Raider with the reboot. Who knows what the explanation is for AC selling more, it could be the unique historical periods you get to visit, it could just be that Ubisoft is much larger and markets each AC pretty heavily or it could come down to Lara being a female character and some gamers avoiding Tomb Raider because of that.

Or just the fact that Ubisoft managed to make games which are not meant to be played just by hardcore fans. There is something for everyone, if you think about it. In TR, well, not really - you get bored with Lara's constant falling and moaning. Besides, while TR looks like you're playing a cutscene, AC actually gives the player time and space to move.
I don't want this to be AC vs TR, I'm just stating why I think AC got more fans. ;)

Also, you have a point when you say some gamers avoid TR because of female protagonist, but I believe that number of those gamers is too low to have an impact.

Tecstar70
14th Jun 2014, 11:22
AC has also built up a storyline over several years and games. People want to see characters evolve, storylines develop and game play offer different aspects. TR2013 is one game. (you have to count previous TR games as a previous life. You can't include them in a comparison such as this).

IvanaKC
14th Jun 2014, 12:01
AC has also built up a storyline over several years and games. People want to see characters evolve, storylines develop and game play offer different aspects. TR2013 is one game. (you have to count previous TR games as a previous life. You can't include them in a comparison such as this).

TR2013 is a reboot, but we can't forget previous ones. They had a lot of ups and downs and this is actually second reboot, so to say. Lara is on the scene since 1996, and first AC game came out in 2007. Now, obviously Ubisoft guys know what they are doing and they're sticking to it, while the right formula for TR game still hasn't been found.

As for developing of the character, I'm not sure what are people expecting. Hell, I'm not sure what I'm expecting because I'm used to bad-ass Lara who was an icon already. I need some time to adjust to that kind of game. ;)

CakeLuv
15th Jun 2014, 04:37
She's slowly becoming a highly moded and fashionable Lara

http://media1.gameinformer.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.SiteFiles/imagefeed/featured/e32014/Microsoft/PressConference/tombraider/newtombraider610.jpg

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 07:19
*saves to my TR collection* :whistle:

Metalrocks
15th Jun 2014, 09:13
She's slowly becoming a highly moded and fashionable Lara

http://media1.gameinformer.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.SiteFiles/imagefeed/featured/e32014/Microsoft/PressConference/tombraider/newtombraider610.jpg

how does it come in black :p :naughty:

i just think that CD and others just want her to suit in this time of age with her appearance.
so what she is wearing in the trailer looks good on her and suits her.

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 09:54
^ Yeah, it suits her very much, kinda reminds mi of the winter outfit in Legend :3

Weemanply109
15th Jun 2014, 10:47
THIS IS SO CLASSIC LARA. SO much. I feel as if CD done this intentionally as a nod to the old fans. Well played, Crystal. ;) I hope they're paying attention to US now. We're important too.

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 11:11
^ Yeah, I was saying the same thing, it's a very eery look on her face, determination, but also like she knows there's no other way, she has to kill him, she doesn't flinch, she just accepts it, like she got used to it and just wants him out of the way, a kinda passive reaction, I don't know how to describe it, it's just awesome! :D

Weemanply109
15th Jun 2014, 11:15
^ Yeah, I was saying the same thing, it's a very eery look on her face, determination, but also like she knows there's no other way, she has to kill him, she doesn't flinch, she just accepts it, like she got used to it and just wants him out of the way, a kinda passive reaction, I don't know how to describe it, it's just awesome! :D

It really is. I'm weak at this trailer. It shows so much potential. :worship:

Metalrocks
15th Jun 2014, 11:57
it sure does like the legend outfit. i really hope this time we can unlock outfits as we are used to.

regarding her reaction. agreed what you guys said. she surely gives the impression that she accepted to kill people who want to kill her. she is not enjoying it but knows its has to be done.

Tihocan
15th Jun 2014, 12:12
Dang she pretty...

Is it me, or have they tweaked it to look more like Camilla?
http://i.imgur.com/hwfEWEG.jpg

Metalrocks
15th Jun 2014, 12:17
Dang she pretty...

she really looks more like her. thats why i got so confused when i got my self the final hours of TR, and saw the models face they used for lara, i didnt see any resemblances to her what so ever. to our gorgeous camilla on the other hand i see a resemblance.

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 12:36
No matter how many side-by-side comparisons people show, I just don't see Camilla in her xD They have totally different faces to me xD

Metalrocks
15th Jun 2014, 13:52
No matter how many side-by-side comparisons people show, I just don't see Camilla in her xD They have totally different faces to me xD

do you see the same face here? i dont.
jqcapr_577.jpg
the eyes are bigger, her nose is pointing up and her upper lips are a bit smaller.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
15th Jun 2014, 13:54

There are differences, but we'll have to wait and see how the in-game model actually looks before drawing any definitive conclusions.
The trailer barely shows her face.

Weemanply109
15th Jun 2014, 14:00
Nope, I see minimal resemblance of Camilla, she looks more like a mix of Keira Knightly and Scarlet Johannson.

IvanaKC
15th Jun 2014, 14:07

Same here. I don't think that developers even want Lara to look like her anyways.

Murphdawg1
15th Jun 2014, 14:14
Same here. I don't think that developers even want Lara to look like her anyways.

Unless Camilla has been cast as Lara in the new Tomb Raider movie.

Weemanply109
15th Jun 2014, 14:20

I doubt it, tbh. Camilla just doesn't look like Lara Croft. Keira Knightly or Scarlet Johanson may be in the running, though (judging by the look of CGI Lara). :whistle:

IvanaKC
15th Jun 2014, 14:20

I doubt it (and I honestly hope it's not true). We would've known all about it already.

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 14:23
jqcapr_577.jpg
the eyes are bigger, her nose is pointing up and her upper lips are a bit smaller.

No, I don't either. Why, is someone saying that's an official model or sth?

Exactly.

Still isn't a reason to make her look like Camilla in the game.

CakeLuv
15th Jun 2014, 16:17
No, I don't either. Why, is someone saying that's an official model or sth?

Because she is lmao, it was on the official app.

Scion's_Eye
21st Jun 2014, 22:09
Still isn't a reason to make her look like Camilla in the game.

Yes. Especially when TR started to take the Angelina Jolie turn after the movies and everyone on the forums was like NOOOOOOPE.
It's really for the better that the models and character don't look alike imo.

Icetea555
22nd Jun 2014, 00:15
Make sure Lara face is not to round and that her chin is a little more square.

I do not want Lara to look exactly like her model or I won't fell like it is Lara Croft. Lara Croft never really look exactly like her models from pas TR games. It should stay that way. Lara has her on unique look just look at Lara Croft TR game 1through 6 and 9.

I like Lara Croft Look in TR 9 you should keep it that way. I would prefer red strips in her hair though since I am use to Lara with reddish brown hair from past TR games. (EX. TR 1 through 6 she had reddish brown hair and it was beautiful.)

Just make sure Lara hair has a lot more body than it deed in her last TR game TR 9. And also, make sure that is is long and flows in the wind. I will like Lara Hair down to her waist.

I think you should give Lara three different hair styles through out the game Ponytail main hair style, braid and open hair. The more hair styles the better. I Like TR 9 hair style the best now even more than the braid.

Envelopes
24th Jun 2014, 16:32
Hey everyone! My first post whoot whoot!!

Lol anyway, I hope Lara as more variety in her outfits. For example, it looks like she'll be in some sort of snowy environment, so I hope she gets a fur coat. Then perhaps she'll be in egypt, and she's wearing a shayla scarf. Then maybe she's in the jungle, so she wears camouflage. Maybe the game begins at a dinner party, so she's in a gown.

Just my thoughts :)

Driber
24th Jun 2014, 16:42
Welcome to the forums, Envelopes :) :wave:

RybatGrimes
24th Jun 2014, 21:17
I really want to see Lara with her hair down. Good god can you imagine how amazing she'd look with the tressFX hair?

:worship:

Tihocan
25th Jun 2014, 00:14
I really want to see Lara with her hair down. Good god can you imagine how amazing she'd look with the tressFX hair?

+1. No, +10^3

Metalrocks
25th Jun 2014, 01:09
welcome to the forum envelopes :wave:

@220
that indeed would be nice to see. we saw her already in legend like this, now with tress fx, it sure would look better.

LaraCroft04
8th Jul 2014, 14:26
What I did love that I noticed in the trailer though is that when the psychiatrist is speaking with her - or to her, rather - and she cups her hands together, you can see the scars and wounds from her time on Yamatai. Wonderful attention to detail and I'm curious to see if her other scars will be present on the arms and chest as well.

I got the impression from the trailer that those marks on her hands were actually grazes from current adventures rather than scars from her time on Yamatai, so I'm not sure that this is evidence of Lara having scars present from Yamatai in the new game. If you notice, Lara's hands are shown just after a flashback of her struggling to attach her climbing axe to a cliff, and she is grazing her hands on the cliff as she slides down it, after jumping to escape the bear. Also her hands have what appear to be grazes and cuts on them because they are red, giving them the appearance of fresh cuts rather than scars. So I saw this as an indication that Lara isn't ' hiding at home ' as the psychiatrist fears, but is already back out and on other adventures.

THIS IS SO CLASSIC LARA. SO much. I feel as if CD done this intentionally as a nod to the old fans. Well played, Crystal. ;) I hope they're paying attention to US now. We're important too.

Totally agree with this, love this image :D she looks amazing !

Dang she pretty...

I can 100% see Camilla in her, and also could in the 2013 version of her face. In this image though she resembles Camilla more than ever to me, which is definitely a positive in my eyes

jqcapr_577.jpg

Completely agree with you, when I saw this on the app I couldn't believe they modelled Lara on her. She looks more like Camilla than Megan to me. If anything the slider across the faces to compare Lara and Megan just made the difference more apparent to me haha

Rai
8th Jul 2014, 15:15
This is Megan and Camilla morphed. Anyone seeing RoTTR Lara? Actually, their faces match quite well, it's only the hair that isn't matching. so I think this goes some way into understanding why some can see Megan in Lara and others' Camilla. Their features are actually very similar.

http://img.morphthing.com/i/80980015/2/0/983fbeea/megan-jpg--camilla-jpg.jpeg

Or a possible Lara look (darken her eyes and give her more fringe and a ponytail).

Metalrocks
8th Jul 2014, 15:44
never thought she looks like meagan. rather like camilla. regardless, but both are beautiful.

IvanaKC
8th Jul 2014, 17:54
This is Megan and Camilla morphed. Anyone seeing RoTTR Lara? Actually, their faces match quite well, it's only the hair that isn't matching. so I think this goes some way into understanding why some can see Megan in Lara and others' Camilla. Their features are actually very similar.

Or a possible Lara look (darken her eyes and give her more fringe and a ponytail).

Now this is nice! I do see Lara in this picture! :eek: This made me think that Lara's eyes could be made to resemble Camilla's. :scratch:

Driber
8th Jul 2014, 19:49

Thanks for posting that. I can definitely see the striking similarities, yes, and I guess it makes sense that people mistake Camilla for Megan.

Hmm... maybe someone can photoshop a pic of Megan's face with Camilla's hair? Or Lara's hair? Or both :)

never thought she looks like meagan. rather like camilla. regardless, but both are beautiful.

lol, we're talking about Megan (the official model for Lara), not Meagan (Marie) the community manager :p

Lara indeed does not look like Meagan, no. (Well, except for on a few art pieces from fans and Brian Horton, heh)

Metalrocks
9th Jul 2014, 02:10
oops, my bad.

ARaider
20th Jul 2014, 15:46
I don't particularly see why we are arguing about Lara's appearance, especially when Crystal Dynamica tried to veer away from appearance! Lara is Lara and, she's still beautiful anyways and her appearance should in no way affect her personality. So IMO she is amazing any way.

totally agree! She's always beautiful.:thumb::D
But I really liked her TR9 version. In TRDE I thought she seemed a little bit like a child, I think because of her eyes.:) (that's just my opinion:p)

(sorry for the many images!:))
jompid__TombRaiderPS4_src_01081401Still002.jpg
Here's where I thought she looked like a child.

jlleos_08_20140128111241-pc-games.jpg
Like the pc version very much here! I think in next gen her eyes are a little bit strange, but maybe that's just me:p

jqrzfq_maxresdefault.jpg
I have to admit that the ps4 version looks better here.:)

jomcde_original.jpg
oh gosh.... there's that strange look on next gen again.:eek:

phreng_Tomb_Raider_Graphics_Comparison.png
Next gen looks better but I miss the emotion as in current gen and Pc.:)

jsvscr_Tomb-Raider-Comparaison-PS3-PS4-video.jpg
Again I miss the emotion in Next gen it seems like she isn't really hurt.

jwqihd_TombRaiderConsoleCompareThumb.jpg
that eyes in Next gen!:lol:
So again this is just my opinion and i'm not a hater of the next gen I just think that the TR9 version is better, and that in the TRDE version Lara seems to have less/none emotions :D

Rai
20th Jul 2014, 18:29
^I'm not seeing it when you say DELara looks like a child. I do think some of the emotion is lost. IIRC Crystal have admitted that this is the case and it's due to keeping the old animations/mo-cap that fit the original version, so the changes effected this (I can't remember the exact wording and don't know where to find the quote). However, you could take that the other way, I felt that TR'13 Lara sometimes looks too scared/tearful even in situations where it wasn't necessary..all the time. Whereas DELara looks like she's serious and thinking which suits some situations where fear doesn't. If that makes sense. She has a more determined look. So in short: TR'13Lara's face suited the beginning sections of the game an DELara's face suited the later sections of the game :p.

In RoTTR if CD are using an updated version of DELara, only with brand new animations and mo-cap, the emotions problem will be solved, naturally as she'll be expressing new emotions in the new game.

ARaider
20th Jul 2014, 19:25
^I'm not seeing it when you say DELara looks like a child. I do think some of the emotion is lost. IIRC Crystal have admitted that this is the case and it's due to keeping the old animations/mo-cap that fit the original version, so the changes effected this (I can't remember the exact wording and don't know where to find the quote). However, you could take that the other way, I felt that TR'13 Lara sometimes looks too scared/tearful even in situations where it wasn't necessary..all the time. Whereas DELara looks like she's serious and thinking which suits some situations where fear doesn't. If that makes sense. She has a more determined look. So in short: TR'13Lara's face suited the beginning sections of the game an DELara's face suited the later sections of the game :p.

In RoTTR if CD are using an updated version of DELara, only with brand new animations and mo-cap, the emotions problem will be solved, naturally as she'll be expressing new emotions in the new game.

Remember that it was just my opinion.:p
But when I see her TRDE version I think of ellie from the last of us... And well she is a child:D

EDIT: everyone has a different opinion so we can argue until 2090, but we always have different opinions:p

Rai
20th Jul 2014, 19:45
Remember that it was just my opinion.:p
But when I see her TRDE version I think of ellie from the last of us... And well she is a child:D

EDIT: everyone has a different opinion so we can argue until 2090, but we always have different opinions:pThis goes without saying :p. I was just countering what you said with my thoughts. It's how a forum works :p. Except for the Ellie thing, I disagree.

ARaider
20th Jul 2014, 20:11
This goes without saying :p. I was just countering what you said with my thoughts. It's how a forum works :p. Except for the Ellie thing, I disagree.

lol I know its the worst comparison ever...:D I think I was confused because I searched her on google and I was like wtf I have made a mistake, that was not the person who I meant.:nut:
Maybe it's because I was playing The last of us the whole day and stil had it in my mind,:)
But as I look more at ellie and Lara they have the same eyes (lol and again a really bad comparison.:))

EDIT:question, do you like the old version or the new version?:)

Rai
20th Jul 2014, 20:47
EDIT:question, do you like the old version or the new version?:)
I like both. I have a soft spot for TR'13Lara, and I see DELara as just her in better graphics. I honestly see the older model in the new, though the new is closer to renders. Both can look odd in certain light and camera angles. For instance the images of DELara on the radio tower looks odd to me, alien like and too pink. In some pics she looks kinda plastic and yet in other pics she looks lovely. I'm forgiving and think CD were experimenting with the new gen tech at the time. Improvements are needed for this model if they're using her and probably have been made. Unless they're using a totally new model. I'm apprehensive over what Lara may look like in Rise. I'm not keen on Lara's look changing in each game, I'd prefer, graphic upgrades withstanding, that Lara remain as similar as possible to TR'13/DE. Some consistency would be appreciated.

ARaider
20th Jul 2014, 21:10
I like both. I have a soft spot for TR'13Lara, and I see DELara as just her in better graphics. I honestly see the older model in the new, though the new is closer to renders. Both can look odd in certain light and camera angles. For instance the images of DELara on the radio tower looks odd to me, alien like and too pink. In some pics she looks kinda plastic and yet in other pics she looks lovely. I'm forgiving and think CD were experimenting with the new gen tech at the time. Improvements are needed for this model if they're using her and probably have been made. Unless they're using a totally new model. I'm apprehensive over what Lara may look like in Rise. I'm not keen on Lara's look changing in each game, I'd prefer, graphic upgrades withstanding, that Lara remain as similar as possible to TR'13/DE. Some consistency would be appreciated.

yep I agree :thumb: :D I just hope that they don't change her looks every game.
And yeah in the radio tower scene she looks weird.:p
But I prefer the old one. I really liked that you could see her emotions good, but in terms of graphics the new one is better, yet I will always prefer the older one, but everyone has their preference!:D
And I would love to see some scars in ROTTR and a little scar on her face would make her smoking hot :naughty:
Lol Lara makes me spontaneous a lesbian;)

pidipidi39
21st Jul 2014, 10:42
Honestly, I just hope they won't pull out a third face for ROTTR.

One of the things that I wanted from the rebooted series was to have CD keeping the same
Lara throughout the whole thing. Obviously, the model can be updated to adapt to the new standards of graphics, but it would be the best if it would always keep the same physiognomy :|

ARaider
21st Jul 2014, 11:38
Honestly, I just hope they won't pull out a third face for ROTTR.

One of the things that I wanted from the rebooted series was to have CD keeping the same
Lara throughout the whole thing. Obviously, the model can be updated to adapt to the new standards of graphics, but it would be the best if it would always keep the same physiognomy :|

totally agree!:D:thumb:
I hope that they just stick with one face and then maybe upgrade the graphics of it but don't change her whole face every game...:rolleyes:

Driber
21st Jul 2014, 12:51
Like Rai said, Lara has weird expressions both in TR9 and in TRDE. You'll also notice that some of those screen grabs comparison images don't exactly show the very same frames, making the TRDE look worse than how it is in the actual game.

Furthermore, screengrabs can only show so much. To really see the full range of emotions on Lara's face in TRDE, you have to play the game. Most of those static images don't really do Lara justice ;)

yep I agree :thumb: :D I just hope that they don't change her looks every game.

Count on it. It's tradition, lol.

And I would love to see some scars in ROTTR and a little scar on her face would make her smoking hot :naughty:

Ugh, no -_-

ARaider
21st Jul 2014, 15:29
How about a little scar in the middle of one eyebrow that looks like a fashion eyebrow slit ?:p

I was talking about something like this, Driber.:p

Like Rai said, Lara has weird expressions both in TR9 and in TRDE. You'll also notice that some of those screen grabs comparison images don't exactly show the very same frames, making the TRDE look worse than how it is in the actual game.

Furthermore, screengrabs can only show so much. To really see the full range of emotions on Lara's face in TRDE, you have to play the game. Most of those static images don't really do Lara justice ;)

Count on it. It's tradition, lol.

Ugh, no -_-

Not a scar on her whole face, that would make her weird...:p

AdobeArtist
21st Jul 2014, 15:41

Yeah, we don't want to turn Lara into MaMa (DREDD) :nut: :lol: :p

Driber
21st Jul 2014, 16:58
I was talking about something like this, Driber.:p

That is even worse! :p

http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Vanilla-Ice.jpg

:lol:

Seriously... no. We don't need to hack away at her face, thank you :whistle:

lol, I never said that :p

(But I agree regardless :D)

ARaider
21st Jul 2014, 18:01
How about a little scar in the middle of one eyebrow that looks like a fashion eyebrow slit ?:p

these people get it!:thumb::p

Naw... that would make her even more perfect. :D
:thumb:

100% sure about that ... :lol:
I think CD can give her a eyebrow split and will look even more badass Lara . It can happen (¿maybe future TR games?) :D

Yeah, we don't want to turn Lara into MaMa (DREDD) :nut: :lol: :p

:lol::p
Or something like this ;)
jcjxfj_2146177894_SNV32813_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg.jpg
:lol::lmao:

That is even worse! :p

http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Vanilla-Ice.jpg

Seriously... no. We don't need to hack away at her face, thank you :whistle:

lol, I never said that :p

(But I agree regardless :D)

There are different versions of it, and that version doesn't look good!:p

It looks good on his eyebrow.:D
jocrld_tumblr_m1tex8MclQ1r6qbvt.jpg

PS: Yay I finally get layers in Photoshop!:D

VaBanes
21st Jul 2014, 18:24
This is that 3D model people were posting about in the Fan Art thread.

Her eyelashes are HUGE. O_o But her face looks amazing there.

jtqkeq_1.JPG

And I would like a scar like that. Looks cool, imo. And it can fade with the time anyway.

Weemanply109
21st Jul 2014, 22:21
So in short: TR'13Lara's face suited the beginning sections of the game an DELara's face suited the later sections of the game :p.

This is how I've felt about the models. However, the the DE model seems void of the finer details that make the older model (PC version) look better, imo. Such as skin, nose, etc. But yes, it seems like both models have issues with facial expressions for certain circumstances.

Too perfect?
Too clear?
Too doll looking?

All of the above. ;)

I like the shape of her head compared to the round face that they clearly took from Camilla for the TR9 model and I'd like for it to be more like the one you've posted, but the details are definitely not good at all and I'd like them to be more similar to the ROTTR trailer or maybe even keeping the TR9 standard model with a few improvements.

jtqkeq_1.JPG

And I would like a scar like that. Looks cool, imo. And it can fade with the time anyway.

JESUS. I love this! <3

Driber
21st Jul 2014, 22:58
these people get it!:thumb::p

These people get it? lol, right. These people clearly have no idea about beauty if they think pimples are sexy :p

There are different versions of it, and that version doesn't look good!:p

Neither does the version you're in favor of :whistle:

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 14:57

jtqkeq_1.JPG

LOVE IT <3 it gives her a badass look, and it reminds me of what happend on Yamatai. :thumb::D Would be kinda weird though, if they don't give Lara scars after all what happend.:)

These people get it? lol, right. These people clearly have no idea about beauty if they think pimples are sexy :p

Neither does the version you're in favor of :whistle:

lol, I don't think pimples are sexy, maybe they do but I certainly don't.:lol:
And on some people a eyebrow slit looks sexy, on others they don't, but I don't think they're going to give Lara an eyebrow slit. I don't care anyway, Lara looks perfect in the Trailer!:D
And scars don't need to be ugly, I like it that they gave Lara scars on her hand(s). (maybe more but you can't see lara that good:))
But everyone has their opinion, and I don't need you to agree with me, and I don't need to agree with you.:D:p

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 15:05
I don't think it's about pimples being sexy, I think some skin impurities just make her feel more real and that's what makes her sexy (I'm quite sure everyone has a pimple now and then or anything like that, especially after bathing in dirty blood and not washing yourself for days :nut:).
Same goes for her scars. She had them in TR9, they can't just disappear. Well, yes, they can since it is a game but that's what I'm talking about. Game vs real life. And for me Lara is a lot more hot if she actually feels like a real person, not just like a bunch of polygons.

But since they change Lara's face with every game anyway, I doubt they will focus on things like that.

I like it that they gave Lara scars on her hand(s).

Ugh.. loved that. :D

Metalrocks
22nd Jul 2014, 15:46
also have no objections with some scars on her face or even a pimple or two. at least small scars would do fine. still insist though that the main scars should be there like the one over her hips and on her arm.
she also got some deep scratches on her back and shoulders. i dont think these are scars that would go away that easily. would not be sad if they are missing of course but it would be a nice little detail.

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 16:39
I don't think it's about pimples being sexy, I think some skin impurities just make her feel more real and that's what makes her sexy (I'm quite sure everyone has a pimple now and then or anything like that, especially after bathing in dirty blood and not washing yourself for days :nut:).
Same goes for her scars. She had them in TR9, they can't just disappear. Well, yes, they can since it is a game but that's what I'm talking about. Game vs real life. And for me Lara is a lot more hot if she actually feels like a real person, not just like a bunch of polygons.

But since they change Lara's face with every game anyway, I doubt they will focus on things like that.

Ugh.. loved that. :D
I couldn't say it better, and I agree!:D:thumb::worship:

also have no objections with some scars on her face or even a pimple or two. at least small scars would do fine. still insist though that the main scars should be there like the one over her hips and on her arm.
she also got some deep scratches on her back and shoulders. i dont think these are scars that would go away that easily. would not be sad if they are missing of course but it would be a nice little detail.
I agree!:thumb::D

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 17:21
Would be kinda weird though, if they don't give Lara scars after all what happend.:)

Nah, that wouldn't be weird at all. What would be weird is if Lara keeps scars from every single cut and scrape she got on Yamatai. It would be 'realistic' but it would look absolutely horrible, and that would make me think the devs are some kind of sadists :p

lol, I don't think pimples are sexy, maybe they do but I certainly don't.:lol:

Well you think scars are 'hot'. That to me is just as weird as finding pimples attractive :p

And on some people a eyebrow slit looks sexy, on others they don't, but I don't think they're going to give Lara an eyebrow slit.

I agree, I don't think we'll see Lara with an eyebrow slit, either. Because the devs know better not to make Lara look like a fashion geek. We already have Sam for that :lol:

I don't care anyway, Lara looks perfect in the Trailer!:D

I call shenanigans on that. For someone who "doesn't care" you sure are going out of your way to push your opinions :p

As for Lara looking perfect in the trailer - that's just CGI Lara. I'm pretty sure she won't look like that in-game :whistle:

And scars don't need to be ugly, I like it that they gave Lara scars on her hand(s). (maybe more but you can't see lara that good:))

I would never call any scar "ugly". That to me just sounds superficial and kinda insensitive. So many people IRL have scars. We should be careful not to make people who have scars feel bad.

Anyway, I don't mind Lara's scars on her hand. That is okay. On her face, though, it's a different thing. That's too prominent.

But everyone has their opinion, and I don't need you to agree with me, and I don't need to agree with you.:D:p

Yup, everyone has their opinion. Including me. And I don't need you to agree with me either, nor do I need to agree with you. I'm perfectly fine with us having a different opinion. In fact, I appreciate it, even, because it sure would be a boring world if everyone were to think all the same about every topic :p :D

I completely understand that some people would like to see scars on Lara because it makes her more "real" for them. The thing is, though, there is no need for scars to make a videogame character look real. Professionally done texturing and techniques such as bump mapping etc will do the job just fine.

I also completely understand that some people would like Lara to have scars because they are intimidated by her natural beauty, and would like Lara to look "less beautiful" so that they feel better about getting into the skin of the character (no pun intended :D). I'm not naming any names, mind you. I just know these people are out there, and they may not be entirely honest about the reasons why they claim to "love" scars ;)

As for the notion that her existing scars should never disappear because it would go against the 'rules of real life' - bullocks. Everyone who hated on TRDE Lara's face and who wanted the devs to change her face, didn't give a hoot about 'real life' then either, so they shouldn't give a hoot about it now, either :p

RybatGrimes
22nd Jul 2014, 18:17
I'd like for Lara to have a scar on the side of abdomen from that rod that she fell on, and maybe even a very subtle one on her chest, or arm, from all the gashes she had on her body by the end of the reboot, there's no way those would heal perfectly. If we were to see her in another tank top or even crop top that is. I think it'd just give a feeling of nice subtle consistency. It would show that Lara isn't "teflon" or whatever it was that they were pushing for this new Lara. It shows that she does get hurt, and there are lasting effects on her body. That being said, if they don't, I'll be a tiny bit disappointed. But not to much bothered. :p

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 18:41
Nah, that wouldn't be weird at all. What would be weird is if Lara keeps scars from every single cut and scrape she got on Yamatai. It would be 'realistic' but it would look absolutely horrible, and that would make me think the devs are some kind of sadists :p

Well you think scars are 'hot'. That to me is just as weird as finding pimples attractive :p

I agree, I don't think we'll see Lara with an eyebrow slit, either. Because the devs know better not to make Lara look like a fashion geek. We already have Sam for that :lol:

I call shenanigans on that. For someone who "doesn't care" you sure are going out of your way to push your opinions :p

As for Lara looking perfect in the trailer - that's just CGI Lara. I'm pretty sure she won't look like that in-game :whistle:

I would never call any scar "ugly". That to me just sounds superficial and kinda insensitive. So many people IRL have scars. We should be careful not to make people who have scars feel bad.

Anyway, I don't mind Lara's scars on her hand. That is okay. On her face, though, it's a different thing. That's too prominent.

Yup, everyone has their opinion. Including me. And I don't need you to agree with me either, nor do I need to agree with you. I'm perfectly fine with us having a different opinion. In fact, I appreciate it, even, because it sure would be a boring world if everyone were to think all the same about every topic :p :D

I completely understand that some people would like to see scars on Lara because it makes her more "real" for them. The thing is, though, there is no need for scars to make a videogame character look real. Professionally done texturing and techniques such as bump mapping etc will do the job just fine.

I also completely understand that some people would like Lara to have scars because they are intimidated by her natural beauty, and would like Lara to look "less beautiful" so that they feel better about getting into the skin of the character (no pun intended :D). I'm not naming any names, mind you. I just know these people are out there, and they may not be entirely honest about the reasons why they claim to "love" scars ;)

As for the notion that her existing scars should never disappear because it would go against the 'rules of real life' - bullocks. Everyone who hated on TRDE Lara's face and who wanted the devs to change her face, didn't give a hoot about 'real life' then either, so they shouldn't give a hoot about it now, either :p

Some cuts that lara gets can be a scar, some are really deep.:)
I didn't said all scars are hot.:p
lol I don't push my opinions, you said ''ugh no'' so I explained it to you, there is a difference between explaining and pushing, and I said that I don't care that you don't agree with me.:p
And yes I also appreciate that we don't think the same.:D
hmmm scars don't have to make it more real, but don't you think that if she's going to have 0 scars that would be weird?:p I don't want that every cut that she got is going to turn into a scar, but some of the heavy injuries like that one above her hip and on her arm.:D
I never want that Lara is going to look ''less beautiful'' she's hot now and I want to keep it that way.:p (lol it feels weird to say this as a girl:nut:)
And I'm not intimidated, because she's a video game character, and in most video games they make the characters attractive (lol Jonah didn't looked hot though, but he wasn't ugly either:p), and to prevent a discussion about that: I don't say that there aren't ugly or not attractive video game characters of course there are, I just think that there are more attractive video game characters.:p
And yes I hated the TRDE face of Lara, but that was not because it looked real, I liked that it looked realistic it was because of the look on her face and there didn't seemed to be much emotion and some other things but i'm not going to sum up every little thing.:D;)

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 18:43
I'd like for Lara to have a scar on the side of abdomen from that rod that she fell on, and maybe even a very subtle one on her chest, or arm, from all the gashes she had on her body by the end of the reboot, there's no way those would heal perfectly. If we were to see her in another tank top or even crop top that is. I think it'd just give a feeling of nice subtle consistency. It would show that Lara isn't "teflon" or whatever it was that they were pushing for this new Lara. It shows that she does get hurt, and there are lasting effects on her body. That being said, if they don't, I'll be a tiny bit disappointed. But not to much bothered. :p
agree, agree!:thumb::D

And sorry for the dubbel post, but this post came when I was typing mine so I didn't saw it:D

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 19:49
I also completely understand that some people would like Lara to have scars because they are intimidated by her natural beauty, and would like Lara to look "less beautiful" so that they feel better about getting into the skin of the character (no pun intended :D)

I'm not sure about this. I think what "they" mean (and I think so too) is that small imperfections on Lara's perfect face and body would make her EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE it feels more "realistic". And "realistic" makes her more beautiful for many.

And it's not necessarily about people feeling ugly themselves and wanting to relate better. I don't care about myself there. I would not want to be so super perfect myself either.
I like her not that perfect because this way she looks like someone I could actually meet in real life. I don't know anyone that perfect in real life.
Maybe there are people like that but I doubt many know people like that, so it feels strange for them.
It's not about "relating to oneself" but about "relating to real people". (dont know if this is right English)
You might not see it that way but for me and others it is just like that.

Another reason is obviously the "meaning" of those scars. To show what Lara has been through and that the events of Yamatai did not just affect her mind but also her body.

I also always like to see that even the most beautiful people have some flaw somewhere, that no one is perfect, you know.. that can go from a little scar in your buttcheek over a pimple behind your ear, strange fingernails or Ellie's ugly nose, for example.

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 19:51
I'm not sure about this. I think what "they" mean (and I think so too) is that small imperfections on Lara's perfect face and body would make her EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL BECAUSE it feels more "realistic". And "realistic" makes her more beautiful for many.

And it's not necessarily about people feeling ugly themselves and wanting to relate better. I don't care about myself there. I would not want to be so super perfect myself either.
I like her not that perfect because this way she looks like someone I could actually meet in real life. I don't know anyone that perfect in real life.
Maybe there are people like that but I doubt many know people like that, so it feels strange for them.
It's not about "relating to oneself" but about "relating to real people". (dont know if this is right English)

Another reason is obviously the "meaning" of those scars. To show what Lara has been through and that the events of Yamatai did not just affect her mind but also her body.

I also like to see that even the most beautiful people have some flaw somewhere, that no one is perfect, you know.. that can go from a little scar in your buttcheek over a pimple behind your ear, strange fingernails or Ellie's ugly nose, for example.
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:
:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
btw I think that's right English (but well i'm not perfect at english because I'm not from England I'm from The Netherlands:D

RybatGrimes
22nd Jul 2014, 20:15

Ah! This completely, I forgot to mention this point in my post. :D

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 21:24
Ah! This completely, I forgot to mention this point in my post. :D
You just forgot the most important point!:D;)

TR9 was about how Lara becomes the badass Tomb Raider that we all know, and that she changes a lot, scars are a part of that too, it shows about what she has been trough and that things are not a happy story. She changes physical and mental. She has been forced to kill a lot of people so probably she has a trauma from that (I will have trauma after that:p). And physical well I don't have to explain that... she falls a lot from high things:p she got beat up by a lot of people, she has to run, climb and jump on rocky things, she has to escape a burning village etc... etc...
So yeah the scars got a meaning:D

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 21:55

When the devs were talking about that new Lara isn't "teflon" anymore they were talking about her personality; not her physical appearance. Just saying.

And sure, that gash in her abdomen might not heal perfectly in the real world, but in the real world that gash wouldn't have healed AT ALL, and Lara would be dead by now.

Some cuts that lara gets can be a scar, some are really deep.:)

Yeah, so deep in fact that she would have died from the wounds IRL :whistle:

I didn't said all scars are hot.:p

And I didn't claim you said that all scars are hot :p

What I said was that thinking a scar is "hot" is to me just as weird as thinking that a pimpel is "hot".

lol I don't push my opinions, you said ''ugh no'' so I explained it to you, there is a difference between explaining and pushing

I agree, there is a difference between explaining and pushing. And I think that by digging up old quotes to try to make your opinion "stronger" by showing me that other people agree with you (or so you think) was something that falls into the latter category.

No biggy, though. Just saying :)

and I said that I don't care that you don't agree with me.:p

Nor do I care that you don't agree with me.

Why are you always repeating this to everyone you are in disagreement with? :scratch:

hmmm scars don't have to make it more real, but don't you think that if she's going to have 0 scars that would be weird?:p

Nope, not at all.

I don't want that every cut that she got is going to turn into a scar

How unrealistic :D

I never want that Lara is going to look ''less beautiful'' she's hot now and I want to keep it that way.:p (lol it feels weird to say this as a girl:nut:)

I don't believe you :p

And I'm not intimidated, because she's a video game character, and in most video games they make the characters attractive

Funny, that's most of the time the exact reason why people want to de-beautify characters :D

And yes I hated the TRDE face of Lara, but that was not because it looked real, I liked that it looked realistic it was because of the look on her face and there didn't seemed to be much emotion and some other things but i'm not going to sum up every little thing.:D;)

The other things including "pounds of make-up" I presume :p

The reason you're not sure about it might be because no woman would ever admit it. Everyone always pulls the 'realism' card, or the 'it doesn't suit her' card, yada yada.

Well, simple real world statistics dictate that this is simply impossible :whistle:

And it's not necessarily about people feeling ugly themselves and wanting to relate better.

Easy to say for someone who claims to look like a model herself :p

I don't care about myself there. I would not want to be so super perfect myself either.

I think it's perfectly possible to not want to look like a perfect model and still be envious of perfect looking super models. Just saying.

That doesn't make any sense. If your argument is that you would Lara to look like someone you would meet on the street you should actually advocate in opposition to scars. I don't know how it is where you live, but over here (and I'm betting in most other places) like > 99% of women on the street do not have scars on their faces that show they have been through a horrific ordeal like Lara has on Yamatai :nut:

And as I said earlier, the same (if not better) can be achieved by simply using good facial texturing techniques. No need to hack away at her face and give her a permanent reminder of the horrible ordeal she went through, which I'm sure most people in real life would actually prefer to forget.

That's fine. No problem. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter, which I'm sure is shared by others, too :)

Which would be pretty sadistic if we are consistent and draw the analogy to the real world, if you think about it :whistle:

I also always like to see that even the most beautiful people have some flaw somewhere, that no one is perfect, you know..

THANK YOU!

I rest my case :cool:

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 22:05
Easy to say for someone who claims to look like a model herself :p

That doesn't make any sense. If your argument is that you would Lara to look like someone you would meet on the street you should actually advocate in opposition to scars.

No need to hack away at her face and give her a permanent reminder of the horrible ordeal she went through, which I'm sure most people in real life would actually prefer to forget.

THANK YOU!

I rest my case :cool:

I never said I look like a model myself?

Maybe. But I was rather talking in general about that "de-beautifying" thing.

Sure, they would prefer to forget. But sometimes it's just not possible.
And I don't want Lara to forget that quickly. I like it if it is "still affecting her".

And what is that supposed to mean? I just like it. But I don't say it because I want others to be uglier so I can feel better myself.
It's the same reason I voted for Lara to be scared of something in the wish list. I just like it if even the most perfect people have some flaws. Doesn't even need to be a big thing. Just feels more "human" for me.

ARaider
22nd Jul 2014, 22:23

And I don't want Lara to forget that quickly. I like it if it is "still affecting her".

And what is that supposed to mean? I just like it. But I don't say it because I want others to be uglier so I can feel better myself.
It's the same reason I voted for Lara to be scared of something in the wish list. I just like it if even the most perfect people have some flaws. Doesn't even need to be a big thing. Just feels more "human" for me.

I never read somewhere that you said that you look like a model.:D
I agree Lara shouldn't forget this, it's important because it really changed her as a person.
And I also agree about the scared thing I also voted for it.:thumb::D
Being scared is a thing that every person is sometimes, it's human it's real and even the most perfect person in the world can be scared.:)

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 22:31
You just forgot the most important point!:D;)

TR9 was about how Lara becomes the badass Tomb Raider that we all know, and that she changes a lot, scars are a part of that too, it shows about what she has been trough and that things are not a happy story. She changes physical and mental. She has been forced to kill a lot of people so probably she has a trauma from that (I will have trauma after that:p). And physical well I don't have to explain that... she falls a lot from high things:p she got beat up by a lot of people, she has to run, climb and jump on rocky things, she has to escape a burning village etc... etc...
So yeah the scars got a meaning:D

That's just putting words into the mouths of the devs. You would make a good spin doctor :p

Or others saying it about you. Not 100% sure. Something along those lines. But it doesn't really matter :)

Oh okay, well, my point still stands.

If the trailer is any indication, you don't have to worry one bit about Lara "forgetting too soon" :p
You LIKE it that Lara is in mental pain? Wow... and I was just half-serious about the sadistic remark :whistle:

It's supposed to mean that you may not even realize it. It could very well be an subconscious thing.

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 22:38
You LIKE it that Lara is in mental pain? Wow... and I was just half-serious about the sadist remark :whistle:

It's supposed to mean that you may not even realize it. It could very well be an subconscious thing.

I love it, lol. The more pain the better. Mental and physical. I want to see blood! HER blood!

I don't think so. I'm fine with the way I look. And I still wouldn't mind having some scar. Over my lip like Ezio maybe.. I think it looks damn cool. And even cooler for women because for women it's "not so usual" to be seen in dangerous situations like that.

But yes, seeing the trailer, I really doubt I have to worry about this. :P

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 22:44
I love it, lol. The more pain the better. Mental and physical.

Okay, now I know you're joking :p

I don't think so. I really like the way I look.

I don't believe that. We ALL have some negative thoughts about our bodies. Even the most beautiful people on the planet. It's what makes us...

wait for it...

human :D

And I still wouldn't mind having some scar. Over my lip like Ezio maybe.. I think it looks damn cool. And even cooler for women because for women it's "not so usual" to be seen in dangerous situations like that.

Sure, "Cool" I can see. "Bad-ass", too. But "hot" - no way.

Still, I opt to keep Lara's face clear of any scars. She's already one hell of a a bad-ass without them :)

But yes, seeing the trailer, I really doubt I have to worry about this. :P

RybatGrimes
22nd Jul 2014, 22:49
When the devs were talking about that new Lara isn't "teflon" anymore they were talking about her personality; not her physical appearance. Just saying.

And sure, that gash in her abdomen might not heal perfectly in the real world, but in the real world that gash wouldn't have healed AT ALL, and Lara would be dead by now.

No, they weren't just talking about personality, if they were, they wouldn't have shown how Lara can get hurt, beaten up, bruised, and bloody. If it were all about Lara's personality then it wouldn't have been important for them to show that Lara can be vulnerable. Lara's character development is not only shown through her personality, it's shown through her physical appearance as well. They broke through the teflon exterior by showing she can get hurt, she can suffer pain just like everyone else, it's one of the best ways they can show that she is human. Sure if you want to be extremely literal for the sake of your own argument, yeah she wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes if it was real life, we all know know that. But there needs to be a balance, no she shouldn't have a scar for every little cut she gets, but the two most prominent injuries she received in the reboot that have a fair amount of meaning should be kept and shown on her body, because it's a subtle yet recognizable way to show how far Lara has come.

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 23:01
Okay, now I know you're joking :p

I don't believe that. We ALL have some negative thoughts about our bodies. Even the most beautiful people on the planet.

I was not joking. I really like it. Gimme more of that.

Sure, I have that too. But not that I wanted to make Lara more ugly. Even with one small pimple she would still look better than me, lol. And with some super cool scar on her cheek anyway..

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 23:15
No, they weren't just talking about personality, if they were, they wouldn't have shown how Lara can get hurt, beaten up, bruised, and bloody. If it were all about Lara's personality then it wouldn't have been important for them to show that Lara can be vulnerable.

Uhm, yes, they very well could have been strictly talking about Lara's personality when talking about "teflon Lara" and in addition show that Lara gets more visibly hurt than in previous games. One doesn't necessarily include the other, but can simply exists on its own, in the name of making a game more compelling to play and fit in with today's standards of showing more emotion (which includes physical pain).

Lara's character development is not only shown through her personality, it's shown through her physical appearance as well. They broke through the teflon exterior by showing she can get hurt, she can suffer pain just like everyone else, it's one of the best ways they can show that she is human.

Lara of old was not invincible, either. It has only been more prominently shown in the latest game.

Sure if you want to be extremely literal for the sake of your own argument,

It's actually not even my argument. I'm not the one making the real life analogies for all the time, heh. I'm just rebutting it and showing that the same argument can just as well be made to make the opposite point.

yeah she wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes if it was real life, we all know know that. But there needs to be a balance, no she shouldn't have a scar for every little cut she gets, but the two most prominent injuries she received in the reboot that have a fair amount of meaning should be kept and shown on her body, because it's a subtle yet recognizable way to show how far Lara has come.

How does one injury have a significant amount more meaning than any other? They all have the same meaning in that she got them fighting a crazy cult on a crazy island.

If you're going to argue realism, you should argue for having Lara be covered in scars from head to toe.

There need not be any 'balance'. What, so Lara should be beautiful but not TOO beautiful... and she should be not perfect but not TOO imperfect?

No offense, but it sounds all rather superficial and cherry-picking to me...

I was not joking. I really like it. Gimme more of that.

So you want Lara to feel as if she was a real person, and at the same time you want her to horribly suffer? Sadist :eek:

Sure, I have that too. But not that I wanted to make Lara more ugly. Even with one small pimple she would still look better than me, lol. And with some super cool scar on her cheek anyway..

Meh, unrealistic. Most women I know cover up their pimpels with make-up. So it shouldn't be visible on Lara's face, either :p

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 23:22
Meh, unrealistic. Most women I know cover up their pimpels with make-up. So it shouldn't be visible on Lara's face, either :p

I doubt Lara would put make-up on on expeditions like what we have seen in the latest trailer, lol. Camouflage make-up, if any, haha.

What, so Lara should be beautiful but not TOO beautiful... and she should be not perfect but not TOO imperfect?

No offense, but it sounds all rather superficial and cherry-picking to me...

I think it's quite normal that you have to find a nice balance in stuff like that as a dev. Game making is not like it was ten years ago. Why do you think they worked on that new Lara for so long? Things like that apparently are important for CD.

d1n0_xD
22nd Jul 2014, 23:29
there are people who don't have pimples, you know that, right? :D

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 23:30
there are people who don't have pimples, you know that, right? :D

I don't have a pimple right now either. But I doubt that there is anyone out there who has never ever had one like ever.

If you ask me, Lara doesn't even need pimples all game long or whatever. But I would like to see one on her cheek maybe in a cutscene that disappears after one or two days again. You know, to show that Lara can get these things as well even without pimpeling her all through the game. Or maybe getting rings under her eyes for working all night long without sleep that will disappear very quickly as well.

Or maybe we see her in a cutscene, locked in her room, working for weeks without sleep, without a shower, always covered in books doing research like a maniac. You know, like Cartman and Co. in South Park. That World of Warcraft episode, haha.

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 23:31
I doubt Lara would put make-up on on expeditions like what we have seen in the latest trailer, lol. Camouflage make-up, if any, haha.

Lara is a young woman. Makes perfect sense for a 21 year old to put on make-up whenever going outside, whether that be for grocery shopping or going on an expedition. She'd still need to travel to said expedition location, so I doubt Lara would not try to cover up any pimples she may have.

After all, it's a reboot. New Lara is more human than old Lara; she is no longer made from teflon and unlike before, she now actually gives a ___ about what others think of her; she is a real person with real person's emotions and insecurities, etc ;)

I think it's quite normal that you have to find a nice balance in stuff like that as a dev.

Yup, which is why I'm pretty sure any scars she may have still from Yamatai will be located below her neck and NOT on her face, which I'm sure a dev would consider "too much" ;)

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 23:33
I don't have a pimple right now either.

Which makes even more sense that she doesn't have pimples. They are fleeting facial imperfections. It would make no sense to give a videogame character permanent pimples.

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 23:36
Which makes even more sense that she doesn't have pimples. They are fleeting facial imperfections. It would make no sense to give a videogame character permanent pimples.

Read my last post. Not sure if you saw it since this is a new page..

Driber
22nd Jul 2014, 23:41
Read my last post. Not sure if you saw it since this is a new page..

I saw it, but not your post edit. I've read it now.

Okay, I think we now waaaaaaaaaaay steered into the realms of extreme nitpicking. Temporary pimples on a videogame character? C'mon now, that's just silly.

I'm pretty confident in saying that that is never gonna happen :whistle:

d1n0_xD
22nd Jul 2014, 23:43
^ Agreed.

JessicaNyy
22nd Jul 2014, 23:45
I saw it, but not your post edit. I've read it now.

Okay, I think we now waaaaaaaaaaay steered into the realms of extreme nitpicking. Temporary pimples on a videogame character? C'mon now, that's just silly.

I'm pretty confident in saying that that is never gonna happen :whistle:

Might be nitpicking but I like detail. Quite sure something like this is gonna happen in The Last of Us 2. :p

But what about that scars in face thing? Why would that be too much? I don't think a small scar in her face is "overdone". Lots of gaming characters have that and it doesn't look very strange at all. It could be on her forehead, covered by her hair most of the time or sth like that.

ARaider
23rd Jul 2014, 00:05
Yeah, so deep in fact that she would have died from the wounds IRL :whistle:

Maybe:p

And I didn't claim you said that all scars are hot :p
What I said was that thinking a scar is "hot" is to me just as weird as thinking that a pimpel is "hot".

Okay

I agree, there is a difference between explaining and pushing. And I think that by digging up old quotes to try to make your opinion "stronger" by showing me that other people agree with you (or so you think) was something that falls into the latter category.

No biggy, though. Just saying :)
Let's say it in another way I'm trying to make it clear. :)

Nor do I care that you don't agree with me.

Why are you always repeating this to everyone you are in disagreement with? :scratch: because a tree? :p No lol actually because I'm not here to make enemy's. :flowers::flowers:

Nope, not at all.
Well I respect your opinion. :D

I don't believe you :p

No I'm bloody sirieus about this, you don't have to believe me but I'm speaking the truth. :D
"the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are"

Funny, that's most of the time the exact reason why people want to de-beautify characters :D
Lol guess I'm crazy then. :p

The other things including "pounds of make-up" I presume :p

Actually, no. :)

I think it's perfectly possible to not want to look like a perfect model and still be envious of perfect looking super models. Just saying.

Beauty is in the inside not on the outside. :D

And as I said earlier, the same (if not better) can be achieved by simply using good facial texturing techniques. No need to hack away at her face and give her a permanent reminder of the horrible ordeal she went through, which I'm sure most people in real life would actually prefer to forget.
I would never forget it.

I love it, lol. The more pain the better. Mental and physical. I want to see blood! HER blood!

I don't think so. I'm fine with the way I look. And I still wouldn't mind having some scar. Over my lip like Ezio maybe.. I think it looks damn cool. And even cooler for women because for women it's "not so usual" to be seen in dangerous situations like that.

Damn that scar on Ezio looks good! :thumb:

Metalrocks
23rd Jul 2014, 02:15
i think most of us will agree that some scars (either a big one or just a or some small ones) on her face would not harm. i also dont want lara to forget what she went through on the island. that adventure after all changed her.

ARaider
23rd Jul 2014, 02:17
That's just putting wordsoften call the mouths of the devs. You would make a good spin doctor :p
I completely missed this post!
With that putting words into the mouths of the devs do you mean that it's something that the devs should/could say? Or that I'm stealing there words or something like that? :)
And eeuhhm thanks I think.. :D You would be even more amazed if you would know my age I'm not going to tell it though, only if someone asks then I will tell. :p But I prefer becoming an artist or something in the game industry love working for the fbi also, or maybe even a political leader(women will rule the world one day ;)) .:) Lol I had to search on the Internet what a spin doctor is. :D

Btw this is really cool : on school my friends often call me Lara, because well I'm a little bit like Lara they think. :D And even my teacher agrees (I have a badass teacher who plays TR) so he also often calls me Lara.:D Lol sorry I thought it was really cool.:)

dark7angel
23rd Jul 2014, 09:13
i think most of us will agree that some scars (either a big one or just a or some small ones) on her face would not harm. i also dont want lara to forget what she went through on the island. that adventure after all changed her.

But Lara doesn't need a scar on her face or anywhere else to remind her of her ordeal on Yamatai. Afterall, she lost a bunch of people there, including Roth whom was close like family to her.
If she has scars, she would be covering them up, either with her clothes or with make up if it was on her face.

d1n0_xD
23rd Jul 2014, 10:35
She doesn't need then on her face, and she already has them on her hands, and probably her body, so I'm all good :D

ARaider
23rd Jul 2014, 12:09
She doesn't need then on her face, and she already has them on her hands, and probably her body, so I'm all good :D

Agree, she doesn't need them, but It wouldn't complain when they do give her scars, and that scars on her hand are a nice touch.:D
And well scars can fade over time, I have a scar on my arm and it's almost gone.:)

d1n0_xD
23rd Jul 2014, 12:26
Then the scars on her face faded already ;)

ARaider
23rd Jul 2014, 12:31
Then the scars on her face faded already ;)

I can live with that.:D:thumb::p

EDIT: My scar took a couple of years to fade, so maybe the scars on Lara fade but we don't know how many years are between the 2 games.:)

Metalrocks
23rd Jul 2014, 14:25
well, as i said, it wouldnt harm.
and yes, of course she likes to forget, but scars generally stay forever. and besides, it made her who she is now. even when it was a tragic one.

IvanaKC
23rd Jul 2014, 17:18

Most, but not all. I am strongly against any scars on Lara's face, that's such a cliche. :rolleyes: Since she went through a lot, she should be completely covered in scars and one scar would be so pointless. Besides, if I'm going to look at her the whole time while I play the game, I want her to be pretty.

Metalrocks
24th Jul 2014, 01:40
but she pretty, even with a small scar :D

but yeah, she sure would have plenty of scars but as i said, having a few would show that she went through something.

ARaider
24th Jul 2014, 10:45

but yeah, she sure would have plenty of scars but as i said, having a few would show that she went through something.

I Totally agree! :D:worship:

IvanaKC
24th Jul 2014, 13:04

Call me hypocrite, but I find scars on women generally ugly. Having them on a face of my favourite gaming heroine - that would be an abomination in my eyes.

There is no need for Lara to have 'proof' that she went through something. Becoming a badass is a proof itself. Since it's a game we're talking about, aesthetics is what matters to me among other things. There is no need for hyper realism in the looks of a character if it can't be achieved everywhere else in the game.

d1n0_xD
24th Jul 2014, 13:06
^ Agreed.

Metalrocks
24th Jul 2014, 14:01
Call me hypocrite, but I find scars on women generally ugly. Having them on a face of my favourite gaming heroine - that would be an abomination in my eyes.

There is no need for Lara to have 'proof' that she went through something. Becoming a badass is a proof itself. Since it's a game we're talking about, aesthetics is what matters to me among other things. There is no need for hyper realism in the looks of a character if it can't be achieved everywhere else in the game.

hey, no problem :)
either way suits me fine. at least we could express our opinions about our dislikes and likes. :D

pirate1802
24th Jul 2014, 16:19
I love scars. Both from an aesthetic and ..to use that dirty word, realistic point of view. Someone having scars doesn't make them ugly in my mind, it makes them more beautiful. Because here is the proof that this woman went through hell and lived to tell the story. It's their war paints, their medals of honor, if you may.

That's one aspect. Second, for tough badass who fights stuff for a living, to have picture perfect smooth skin is ...weird. Now, true that not everyone likes that level of realism in their games and scars have become sort of cliche, but every cliche becomes a cliche for a reason. The devs spent a lot of effort to make the player "one" with Lara in the reboot and it worked, atleast for me. That link would be broken for me personally if, after what she went through on that island she has spotless skin in the next one, unless there was a plastic surgert DLC somewhere in between, which wasn't the case.. And besides, scars have a story to tell, like the one she must have got by the iron bar umm.. penetrating her. Which ties back to the medal thinking.

So yes, all hail scars and the beautiful women who wear them with pride.

http://i.imgur.com/ID3Zl.jpg

d1n0_xD
24th Jul 2014, 17:04
Mass Effect is an RPG where the scars are a choice, tho. And from what I remember, Lara didn't have that deep cuts on her face in order to leave a scar... Her abdomen on the other hand...

ARaider
24th Jul 2014, 19:25
And from what I remember, Lara didn't have that deep cuts on her face in order to leave a scar... Her abdomen on the other hand...
That is soo true!:worship:

Tihocan
25th Jul 2014, 00:41
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Some would find scars appealing, others would not.

If Lara had half her nose missing and a glass eye, would you still find her "attractive"? These are still scars, after all.

ARaider
25th Jul 2014, 11:26
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Some would find scars appealing, others would not.

If Lara had half her nose missing and a glass eye, would you still find her "attractive"? These are still scars, after all.

Lol, then I would find her not attractive.:p But it doesn't has to be a big scar, if they don't give her a scar at all then I could live with that.:) If they do give her a scar then I also live with that. It's not like I'm going to stare the whole game at her and think: damn she's hot.:p I'm not playing the game for staring at her I'm playing the game because I like it, and I love that there is a female hero!:D(heroine if you like:p)
But well we just have to wait untill the next game.
Personally, I think that they're not going to give her a lot of scars, and if you look good at the trailer you see her face, and as far as I can tell I don't see any scars, but maybe I'm wrong.:D

Metalrocks
25th Jul 2014, 12:20
Lol, then I would find her not attractive.:p But it doesn't has to be a big scar, if they don't give her a scar at all then I could live with that.:) If they do give her a scar then I also live with that. It's not like I'm going to stare the whole game at her and think: damn she's hot.:p I'm not playing the game for staring at her I'm playing the game because I like it, and I love that there is a female hero!:D(heroine if you like:p)
But well we just have to wait untill the next game.
Personally, I think that they're not going to give her a lot of scars, and if you look good at the trailer you see her face, and as far as I can tell I don't see any scars, but maybe I'm wrong.:D

true. but we dont know what parts will be in the game. maybe during the therapy sessions its hte end of the game and she could have a scar on her face, but we dont see it.

Driber
25th Jul 2014, 12:23
Might be nitpicking but I like detail.

Who doesn't like detail. That's not really an argument.

I don't see anyone advocating that female characters should have unsightly bushy armpits after spending two weeks away from civilization because "they like detail".

I don't see anyone advocating that game characters should have horrible looking herpes on their lips from time to time because "they like detail".

I don't see anyone advocating that Lara should be picking her nose and eating her boogers because "they like detail".

Liking for detail in this case is nothing more than empty platitude IMO.

Quite sure something like this is gonna happen in The Last of Us 2. :p

Quite sure something like this is not going to happen in the vast majority of games :p

Seriously, I find it 100% irrelevant what you think may happen in LTOU, or any other game for that matter. If some other games implements something as silly and trivial as temporary pimples, it wouldn't change my opinion about it one bit.

Maybe:p

For sure :p

because a tree? :p No lol actually because I'm not here to make enemy's. :flowers::flowers:

Trees are good enough reason as any - we need them to breathe! :D

Ah. Well, you could never be my enemy :cool:

Beauty is in the inside not on the outside. :D

Ugh, worst cliché ever :p :D

And as I said earlier, the same (if not better) can be achieved by simply using good facial texturing techniques. No need to hack away at her face and give her a permanent reminder of the horrible ordeal she went through, which I'm sure most people in real life would actually prefer to forget.I would never forget it.

Well then you don't need a scar to remind you in the first place!

i think most of us will agree that some scars (either a big one or just a or some small ones) on her face would not harm.

Uhm, no?

As you can see from the people posting in opposition to scars, we are far from being in agreement here.

i also dont want lara to forget what she went through on the island. that adventure after all changed her.

Lara most certainly does not need any physical scar to prevent her from forgetting what happened on the island. That just sounds like an insult to her intelligence.

Lara is more human now; it's called a reboot for a reason. She has real emotions and real feelings. She obviously feels deeply for the people she lost on the island and she has acquired great emotional scars from those horrific ordeals on Yamatai.

To suggest that Lara needs some superficial mark to remind her of all of that, is quite absurd, and makes it sound as if Lara is a cow that needs to be branded with a hot iron so it won't be forgotten where it came from.

Metalrocks
25th Jul 2014, 12:38
ok, so "some" of us...

i see my flaw in my comment that i directed it in the wrong direction. a better wording would be that it still will affect her emotionally when she looks at them.
sure, she will never forget such an ordeal, regardless if she has physical scars or not. this emotional scar will stay with her forever. but even when she looks at the scar, an reaction to it is still a human emotion and i think this would be nice to see as well.

JessicaNyy
25th Jul 2014, 12:40
I want scars and I'm 100% sure we will get them. :cool:

Driber
25th Jul 2014, 13:04
well, as i said, it wouldnt harm.

It obviously would "harm" those who dislike the idea.

and yes, of course she likes to forget, but scars generally stay forever.

Yes, scars generally stay forever, which is why I reject the idea of permanently branding Lara, as if she was a peace of meat.

We're talking about Lara here, not Lady Gaga :p

and besides, it made her who she is now. even when it was a tragic one.

Scars are not what "makes" Lara. Her experiences, and the choices she makes along the way is what makes her. Not some superficial mark on her body.

but she pretty, even with a small scar

Let's be realistic here - scars generally make people less pretty. That's why people try to cover them up. So I think Ivana totally got a valid point there.

And once again, when the realism argument works against someone's preference on how Lara should look or act, it is thrown right out of the window.

But sure enough, next time realism will work in favour of their argument, they'll be the first to use it in their defence...

Apart from the "ugly" label, I completely agree :thumb:

BTW, why do you think you're hypocritical? I don't see anything hypocritical in your post :scratch:

ARaider
25th Jul 2014, 13:56
I don't see anyone advocating that game characters should have horrible looking herpes on their lips from time to time because "they like detail".
yesss we want Lara with herpes!!!:p:lol::lol:

I don't see anyone advocating that Lara should be picking her nose and eating her boogers because "they like detail".
ooh yeaah that's soo hot they should make a minigame about that!:lol:

For sure :p
yep

Trees are good enough reason as any - we need them to breathe! :D

Ah. Well, you could never be my enemy :cool:
awww thanks:flowers:

Ugh, worst cliché ever :p :D
yeah I know and it's also not true. I alsways ask someone if they could open their mouth so I can see their intestines and heart etc, and then I can see if their beautiful!:p

Well then you don't need a scar to remind you in the first place!

that's true:lol:

Lara is more human now; it's called a reboot for a reason. She has real emotions and real feelings. She obviously feels deeply for the people she lost on the island and she has acquired great emotional scars from those horrific ordeals on Yamatai.
:worship::worship:

To suggest that Lara needs some superficial mark to remind her of all of that, is quite absurd, and makes it sound as if Lara is a cow that needs to be branded with a hot iron so it won't be forgotten where it came from.
:lol::lol::lol:

Driber
25th Jul 2014, 14:09
Second, for tough badass who fights stuff for a living, to have picture perfect smooth skin is ...weird.

There's not anything more weird about that than the fact that Lara survived that whole ordeal in the first place.

If she be pierced with a one foot rusty spike through her abdomen, not get any crucial medical treatment, wade through bacteria infested swamps with an open wound, and lives to tell the tale, she can avoid getting scraped on her face.

What would be more weird is healing most of her wounds she got during her ordeal on Yamatai (and let's face it, she got whipped 100 times more than Jesus did :whistle:) and ONLY be left with the few odd scars.

If you want to talk realism, Lara would need to look like this in TR10:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JJdhXsH6X0w/S9shXalag-I/AAAAAAAAA0M/VfQuLvh0k4s/s400/freddy+kreugar.jpg

:rasp:

Now, true that not everyone likes that level of realism in their games and scars have become sort of cliche, but every cliche becomes a cliche for a reason. The devs spent a lot of effort to make the player "one" with Lara in the reboot and it worked, atleast for me. That link would be broken for me personally if, after what she went through on that island she has spotless skin in the next one

If you want to go "the devs said this, the devs said that" route, then allow me to bring in the very person who was in charge of shaping Lara's appearance, Brian Horton, who said in an interview that he created new Lara as a person with aestetically pleasing facial features on purpose. He fully realized that beauty sells.

So I could similarly argue that putting unsightly scars on her face would surely go against the vision that the devs have of the reboot :whistle:

unless there was a plastic surgert DLC somewhere in between, which wasn't the case..

Now that's just silly.

And besides, scars have a story to tell, like the one she must have got by the iron bar umm.. penetrating her. Which ties back to the medal thinking.

As said by me and other before - she doesn't need any scars to tell a story or to be reminded of the events at Yamatai. We all know what she's been through.

As for the medal analogy - most war veterans do not go around showing off their medals in day to day life. They have the option to take them off when they return from a war memorial day or other official function. People with unsightly scars on their faces do not have that same luxury. They are forced to live with a disfigurement, which I am pretty certain of the vast majority of people would get rid off in an instant if they had the option to remove it.

I'm sure no one would be so crazy as to surgically attach their war medals to their skin.

Lara's medals are her artefacts, which she nicely puts on display in her home, to remind her of the adventures she has had. She doesn't bring them with her whenever she needs to pop by Tesco to get a pack of bog rolls.

So yes, all hail scars and the beautiful women who wear them with pride.

http://i.imgur.com/ID3Zl.jpg

She sure is a beautiful woman, isn't she. I wonder if you and everyone else advocating for scars would still be saying the same thing if Lara wasn't a beautiful woman, and if the scars would be huge and unsightly, even for your standards.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not at all saying that we should shame women with scars or whatever other disfigurations. On the contrary. I'm just getting a little tired of the blatant superficial double standards and hypocrisy in this discussion. Lara should have "small, subtle scars", but not "big, ugly ones".

Good god, and the devs were being ridiculed for turning Lara into a Barbie and for "playing plastic surgeon" with TRDE Lara :rolleyes:

Exactly.

Virtually every woman on this planet who was in an accident that caused them a glass eye would instantly choose to have a new, perfect eye implanted if the science would allow it.

No one in their right mind would go "Nah... I rather keep my glass eye. It reminds me of my accident and I don't want to forget about it." :nut:

d1n0_xD
25th Jul 2014, 15:39
You guys are obviously forgetting emotional and mental scars, she has enough of those for a lifetime of not forgetting that island ;)

And like I said, simply adding scars for the sake of adding scars isn't really my cup of tea. We didn't see cuts that deep on her face (if any, really) in order for them to leave a scar. On the other hand, her abdomen scars should be there, no doubt about that. And we've seen at the end of TR2013 how many healed scars she has on the entire length of her arm, and no I doubt all of them disappeared, as evidenced on her hands in the RotTR trailer.

If something happened (or happens for that matter) that left a deep cut on her face, then I would (will) be all for it :)

EDIT: Here are some pics in order to prove my point...

http://www.gamespersecond.com/media/2013/03/tomb-raider-2013-gallery-28.jpg - mostly clean face, no visible scars on her face
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/330/7/6/lara_croft_face_portrait_3d_by_binary_map-d6vq8c5.jpg - Lara has some cuts, not nearly enough to leave a scar, she's kinda dirty
http://www.gamecatchup.com/wp-content/uploads/lara-face-close-up-1024x576.jpg - yet again, mostly clean face, mostly because dirt washes off due to rain, dirt hardly visible still
http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/blog/tomb9/lara-croft-2013-2-tombraidernostalgia.jpg - again, Lara is mostly dirty, no cuts on her face
http://www.nerdlikeyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-blood.jpg - the most dirty and bloody Lara you can find, and that is mostly someone else's blood, but also she had many wound on her body, her arms, so some scars there shouldn't be a problem, and would be welcomed, IMO.. still, face largely dirty, no cuts...
http://media.melty.fr/article-869147-ajust_930/lara-croft-reviendra-en-2013.jpg - and maybe the harshest picture of her yet, cuts on her nose, cheeks, but again, I think not deep or big enough to leave a scar...

JessicaNyy
25th Jul 2014, 17:10
Well... actually there is nothing really to prove and most of all, looking at the TRDE, I really doubt that "what was before" has any meaning regarding "what will be". :p

ARaider
25th Jul 2014, 17:36
You guys are obviously forgetting emotional and mental scars, she has enough of those for a lifetime of not forgetting that island ;)

And like I said, simply adding scars for the sake of adding scars isn't really my cup of tea. We didn't see cuts that deep on her face (if any, really) in order for them to leave a scar. On the other hand, her abdomen scars should be there, no doubt about that. And we've seen at the end of TR2013 how many healed scars she has on the entire length of her arm, and no I doubt all of them disappeared, as evidenced on her hands in the RotTR trailer.

If something happened (or happens for that matter) that left a deep cut on her face, then I would (will) be all for it :)

EDIT: Here are some pics in order to prove my point...

http://www.gamespersecond.com/media/2013/03/tomb-raider-2013-gallery-28.jpg - mostly clean face, no visible scars on her face
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/330/7/6/lara_croft_face_portrait_3d_by_binary_map-d6vq8c5.jpg - Lara has some cuts, not nearly enough to leave a scar, she's kinda dirty
http://www.gamecatchup.com/wp-content/uploads/lara-face-close-up-1024x576.jpg - yet again, mostly clean face, mostly because dirt washes off due to rain, dirt hardly visible still
http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/blog/tomb9/lara-croft-2013-2-tombraidernostalgia.jpg - again, Lara is mostly dirty, no cuts on her face
http://www.nerdlikeyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-blood.jpg - the most dirty and bloody Lara you can find, and that is mostly someone else's blood, but also she had many wound on her body, her arms, so some scars there shouldn't be a problem, and would be welcomed, IMO.. still, face largely dirty, no cuts...
http://media.melty.fr/article-869147-ajust_930/lara-croft-reviendra-en-2013.jpg - and maybe the harshest picture of her yet, cuts on her nose, cheeks, but again, I think not deep or big enough to leave a scar...

I had already figured that out, there isn't a cut that is deep enough.:)
And we're not forgetting emotional scars (at least I'm not forgetting) but I think we're not talking about it because we already figured out that she's never going to forget this.:p
And if there was a cut that was deep enough then I would doubt if the devs would give her a scar.:D
On her arm are enough cuts that can turn into scars, but I hope they're not all going to turn into scars, that would turn her into a living cat scratch post.:p;)

Driber
25th Jul 2014, 17:38
if you look good at the trailer you see her face, and as far as I can tell I don't see any scars, but maybe I'm wrong.:D

I think you are correct ;)

sure, she will never forget such an ordeal, regardless if she has physical scars or not. this emotional scar will stay with her forever. but even when she looks at the scar, an reaction to it is still a human emotion and i think this would be nice to see as well.

That can be achieved by simple dialogue as well. No need to hack away at her face and give her a permanent mark as a painful reminder, which she would be forced to look at for the rest of her life. Too cruel, IMO.

yesss we want Lara with herpes!!!:p:lol::lol:

Sadist! :p

ooh yeaah that's soo hot they should make a minigame about that!:lol:

http://driber.net/os/jimmy-fallon-ew-2.gif

yeah I know and it's also not true. I alsways ask someone if they could open their mouth so I can see their intestines and heart etc, and then I can see if their beautiful!:p

lol.

I like your dry sense of humour. I think you and I will get along just fine! :D

I am not. I said exactly this in one of my earlier posts today, heh.

And we're not forgetting emotional scars (at least I'm not forgetting) but I think we're not talking about it because we already figured out that she's never going to forget this.:p

I've definitely seen some folks arguing that without scars, Lara would forget :p

pirate1802
25th Jul 2014, 18:36
There's not anything more weird about that than the fact that Lara survived that whole ordeal in the first place.

If she be pierced with a one foot rusty spike through her abdomen, not get any crucial medical treatment, wade through bacteria infested swamps with an open wound, and lives to tell the tale, she can avoid getting scraped on her face.

What would be more weird is healing most of her wounds she got during her ordeal on Yamatai (and let's face it, she got whipped 100 times more than Jesus did :whistle:) and ONLY be left with the few odd scars.

If you want to talk realism, Lara would need to look like this in TR10:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JJdhXsH6X0w/S9shXalag-I/AAAAAAAAA0M/VfQuLvh0k4s/s400/freddy+kreugar.jpg

True, it is a personal issue, that I fully admit. But I still expect a certain basic level of realism in my viduagaems. Lara having survived through insurmountable odds a staple in action games/movies and I won't pretend that that's realistic. But one unrealistic thing only occurs at certain scripted parts of the story and the other is constantly in my view. I'd guess I'd take the former over the latter. It's like in the new game Lara has three breasts and being told that that's okay because this is a videogame an she has done far more unrealistic things. I'm sure you'd protest. I would too. It's just that we have different thresholds on which we would protest.

But all of this is moot because I wasn't talking about Lara but fembadasses in general. What I had more in mind is if someone is in the dangerous line of business, not just Lara he or she would sure not have Lacme skin.

So I could similarly argue that putting unsightly scars on her face would surely go against the vision that the devs have of the reboot :whistle:

Never did I say her scars need to be unsightly (although I admit what I consider unsightly might be higher than other's thresholds.)

As said by me and other before - she doesn't need any scars to tell a story or to be reminded of the events at Yamatai. We all know what she's been through.

No doubt. But it would be interesting as a visual reminder, even if we already remember. People like stories associated with certain accessories. People wanted a story behind Lara's pendant, her twin pistols, so why not a story behind how she got the scar on her waist? Like how Ezio gets his famous scar. You can say the same thing, we didn't need that scar to be reminded of his childhood games. But seeing that scar on an old and dying Ezio's lips brings back memories of that streetfight. A quick visual connector.

She sure is a beautiful woman, isn't she. I wonder if you and everyone else advocating for scars would still be saying the same thing if Lara wasn't a beautiful woman, and if the scars would be huge and unsightly, even for your standards.

Still sexy.
http://i.imgur.com/m2yct.jpg

Actually I would not mind if Lara's scars are unsightly even with my standards. Physical beauty of a character always figures the least in my reasons to play as them, or I wouldn't be playing Skyrim as an old Argonian. Now you'd probably say "you don't mind but others would!" and you'd probably be right, but you asked me so I answered. :p

And regarding scarred Lara:

http://i.imgur.com/zNL77yY.png

That's not ugly at all.

JessicaNyy
25th Jul 2014, 18:54
I don't want a big scar like that for Lara. But a smaller one on her cheek or on the side of her forehead would be damn nice.

d1n0_xD
25th Jul 2014, 19:09
You see, that scar I wouldn't mind, but she didn't have anything even close like that happened to her, so until she gets a cut that should leave a scar like that, no point in adding it :)

Driber
25th Jul 2014, 19:09
Never did I say her scars need to be unsightly (although I admit what I consider unsightly might be higher than other's thresholds.)

Scars are unsightly by default. That was kind of my point.

I know, I know, not for everyone. But no doubt you'd be hard pressed to find many women IRL who would consider a scar as a beauty mark like Cindy Crawford's mole.

Women by en large cover up scars with make-up, have them removed by laser, etc etc.

No doubt. But it would be interesting as a visual reminder, even if we already remember. People like stories associated with certain accessories. People wanted a story behind Lara's pendant, her twin pistols, so why not a story behind how she got the scar on her waist?

One on her waist I might agree with. Any on her face - definite no.

Still sexy.
width='200'

Because she's still a beautiful woman. I was talking about an unattractive woman with deep scarring. You'll be hard pressed to find many people who would consider that "sexy".

And regarding scarred Lara:

width='200'

That's not ugly at all.

I beg to differ that this would be an attractive look for Lara, and you can bet your butt that giving her the skin of a 95 year old is going to stifle sales.

JessicaNyy
25th Jul 2014, 19:15
I'd like em like this.

Not too many, though. Like one on her cheek and one on her nose maybe. And obviously, those are fresh ones. They will fade after some time.

ARaider
25th Jul 2014, 19:29
lol.

I like your dry sense of humour. I think you and I will get along just fine! :D
I also think that!:D:friends:

That can be achieved by simple dialogue as well. No need to hack away at her face and give her a permanent mark as a painful reminder, which she would be forced to look at for the rest of her life. Too cruel, IMO.

I've definitely seen some folks arguing that without scars, Lara would forget :p

hmm that would be weird if she would forget that.:)

They should hire me to write the story...;):p

What if Lara would forget it:

version 1

Sam: Lara? do you remember that time when we where on Yamatai and you killed a man to save me?
Lara: hmmm... I do remember a island and we where in bed together and we had a unforgettable night... Oh wait that was a dream....
Sam: oh yeah... wait what?!
:lol::lol:

version 2
Sam: Lara? do you remember that time when we where on Yamatai and you killed a man to save me?
Lara: *sees a scar on her arm* ohhh yeah I remember that, I'm sorry...
Sam: yeah I'm sorry too, because I raped you....
Lara: You don't need to be sorry.... wait what?!

:lol::lol:

sorry I couldn't resist it.:D
If somebody thinks now that I ship Lara and Sam: you're wrong:rasp:

Metalrocks
26th Jul 2014, 04:57
@driber
lol, my mistake again for not clarifying what i meant with scars and its location. i know we talked about scars on faces but for my last comment, i meant scars generally on the body. like the one over the hips or the arm. but yes, dialog worse as well like she talks when she took a shower and saw her self in the mirror.

@Araider
aww. i felt so aroused reading your last bit :D. you should be a shipper ;)

Driber
26th Jul 2014, 09:06
@ARaider: :lol:

I'd like em like this.

Those are not scars, but fresh cuts. They could very well all heal up (near) perfectly.

@driber
lol, my mistake again for not clarifying what i meant with scars and its location. i know we talked about scars on faces but for my last comment, i meant scars generally on the body. like the one over the hips or the arm. but yes, dialog worse as well like she talks when she took a shower and saw her self in the mirror.

I wasn't talking about dialoge in addition to scars, but dialoge as alternative ;)

Metalrocks
26th Jul 2014, 12:37
Those are not scars, but fresh cuts. They could very well all heal up (near) perfectly.

think so too. but i think that one on her cheek could leave a scar behind that will be visible.

I wasn't talking about dialoge in addition to scars, but dialoge as alternative ;)

i understood what you meant with dialog. just wanted to clarify what i meant with scars on lara as such ;)

ARaider
26th Jul 2014, 13:35
@Araider
aww. i felt so aroused reading your last bit :D. you should be a shipper ;)

I think they're cute together, but I personally really like Lara as a straight person.:p
It's for the writers to decide what they do with her love life.:)
And I also really love reading fanfics of Lara and Sam.:D
But I hope they keep her straight, or they could also make her Biosexual, problem solved!:D

ActionHero
26th Jul 2014, 15:30
I'd like a scar on her waist & on her upper arm, because those wounds are such that an average person would get a lasting scar. She has not yet, in-game, sustained significant injuries to her face. On the ship at the end, the stuff all over her shoulders & face looks, to me, more like scratches and cuts than deep wounds that would scar.

I know, I know, it doesn't have to be a deep cut to leave a scar. I have super thin skin & I've had cat scratches leave marks that look like scars, but they generally fade entirely within a year. If game-Lara had super thin skin, she would have looked a hell of a lot rougher after her trip to Yamatai, and she still probably wouldn't have the lighter scars a year or two later.

As for scars.. I'm a woman, I like my scars. They are, to me, a roadmap of what I've survived and how far I've come. I would not cover them up. I like looking in the mirror and seeing a scar and thinking, "Yeah, and I survived that too." That's just me, though, I can't speak for all women.

Metalrocks
26th Jul 2014, 16:02
I think they're cute together, but I personally really like Lara as a straight person.:p
It's for the writers to decide what they do with her love life.:)
And I also really love reading fanfics of Lara and Sam.:D
But I hope they keep her straight, or they could also make her Biosexual, problem solved!:D

well, if the writer should take her in to this direction, then its the only way to find out what laras preferences are.
as you can clearly see, i support the idea. but if its not happening, so its not happening. as long lara stays believable and the game is fun to play.

IvanaKC
26th Jul 2014, 16:08
What is going on here, a fetish on scars? :lol:
You people do realize that once you give a character a scar, it stays with them forever, it becomes a trademark? You can't just make things like that go away. Sure, Super Mario could shave his mustache, but he wouldn't be Super Mario then, would he? Same thing happens if you remove a trademark scar from a character once you don't like it anymore.

d1n0_xD
26th Jul 2014, 16:46
^ Yeah, you're correct, it is something pernament. Geralt of Rivia has his scar and it stays with him and it is part of his character, being a monster hunter and all. Nick Fury has an eyepatch because he lost his eye. Do we want Lara to lose an eye, so she could have a cool eyepatch? :D

pidipidi39
26th Jul 2014, 16:54
Do we want Lara to lose an eye, so she could have a cool eyepatch? :D
Nope :D

You people do realize that once you give a character a scar, it stays with them forever, it becomes a trademark? You can't just make things like that go away. Sure, Super Mario could shave his mustache, but he wouldn't be Super Mario then, would he? Same thing happens if you remove a trademark scar from a character once you don't like it anymore.
Actually, I'm not quite sure. A character may have a scar but it may not be one of his/her main characteristics.
Lara is an example herself: she went from braid to ponytail and - while some fans complained about it - she still was considered Lara Croft and everyone could recognize her.

Obviously if you give a character a big scar, then yeah, taking it away might become a problem; but I don't think people want Lara to have trademark-y scars. Y'know.

Driber
26th Jul 2014, 17:36
BIOSEXUAL?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pirate1802
26th Jul 2014, 18:48
But no doubt you'd be hard pressed to find many women IRL who would consider a scar as a beauty mark like Cindy Crawford's mole.

Women by en large cover up scars with make-up, have them removed by laser, etc etc.

Kinda hard to imagine Lara being all ooh this makes me ugly! Lemme cover this up tons on makeup! And hey, she's a fictional character, as you say, so what's that to do with how real women behave anyway? :vlol:

Because she's still a beautiful woman

While you can call pretty much any woman beautiful, I don't agree she's beautiful by traditional standards. She has dark bags under her eyes, blemishes on skin, and she was on bioware forum's list of all-time ugly femsheps.

You'll be hard pressed to find many people who would consider that "sexy".

No, but then I don't need a character to be "sexy" in order to play as her. I know most probably do but hey, I can only speak for myself.

I beg to differ that this would be an attractive look for Lara, and you can bet your butt that giving her the skin of a 95 year old is going to stifle sales.

That looks like a 95 year old? -_-

As for scars.. I'm a woman, I like my scars. They are, to me, a roadmap of what I've survived and how far I've come. I would not cover them up. I like looking in the mirror and seeing a scar and thinking, "Yeah, and I survived that too." That's just me, though, I can't speak for all women.

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Rai
26th Jul 2014, 19:33
Actually, I'm not quite sure. A character may have a scar but it may not be one of his/her main characteristics.
Lara is an example herself: she went from braid to ponytail and - while some fans complained about it - she still was considered Lara Croft and everyone could recognize her.

Obviously if you give a character a big scar, then yeah, taking it away might become a problem; but I don't think people want Lara to have trademark-y scars. Y'know.
Using Lara's hairstyle as an example of change while keeping Lara recognisable is a bad choice. Women (and men) change their hairstyles all the time. The ponytail isn't a vast change, Lara's hair is still long and brown, so this helps to keep Lara recognisable along with other characteristics.

A scar on the other hand, may fade, but a bad enough one, say on her arm, would not just disappear. So this is not the same thing. I doubt if anyone wants any said scars to become a signature recognisable feature of Lara in the same way as say, the dual guns, but a scar, even just one in prominent place will be noticeable and be associated with Lara. It's a fine line, actually. If CD chose to add one scar as a visual 'realistic' reminder of her ordeal on Yamatai, you kind of have to go with it..and should she hurt herself badly enough in Rise, to keep the consistency, she'd have a scar for that too, and then again and again potentially. Where do you stop?. Because if you don't it makes that first scar somehow 'special' and the addition and reasoning for it becomes shallow. Then again, having Lara get visible wounds during the game in turn becomes shallow if you just have her healed perfectly for the next adventure (it depends on the time frame between them too).

I'm not against Lara having a scar on her arm , if it's faded, but it's not necessary as a reminder as they could just as well, if not better, show how the ordeal effected her in an emotional way, in her personality. I'd say she should have a scar on her abdomen, but would we ever see it? They could make a reference to it, subtly i guess (Lara having a fall and holding her side as she sits at camp or something). But realism in games doesn't have to be realistic.

IvanaKC
26th Jul 2014, 21:48

I strongly disagree because scar IS a person's characteristic whether we like it or not. Ezio from AC has a small one on his lip and he and the whole series actually are marked by that exact scar.

Scar is permanent, hairstyle isn't and that's what I'm talking about. You can change the hair, but you can't change something like a scar.

From the discussion here, I see that's exactly what people want - a permanent scar. Even if they say 'just a small one', it's still permanent.

I don't really like looking at my scars because, as an artistic soul, I find that as an imperfection. Truth to be told, my whole right leg is covered in scars because of operations and that is just not beautiful in my eyes. IMO, that's why art like making video games or painting or sculpting exists - to try and make something perfect when we aren't, to maybe improve in our heads something that already exists. :)

ActionHero
26th Jul 2014, 22:12
I don't really like looking at my scars because, as an artistic soul, I find that as an imperfection. Truth to be told, my whole right leg is covered in scars because of operations and that is just not beautiful in my eyes. IMO, that's why art like making video games or painting or sculpting exists - to try and make something perfect when we aren't, to maybe improve in our heads something that already exists. :)

For me, I have one scar on my collarbone from a surgery as a baby, and three that are hallmarks of my misspent youth -- one on my arm from my years as a drug addict, one on my leg from an abusive ex-boyfriend & one on my wrist from an aborted suicide attempt. They were extremely painful, extremely sad events, but I'm still here. I'm ten years clean, I'm in a really good relationship & the scars are like badges of honor. None of that defeated me. Instead of framing it in my head like it's a reminder of a failure, I celebrate it -- it's a reminder that I'm. still. here.

I'm a bit of an aesthete myself, but my version of perfection for myself includes these scars. If I didn't have those scars and didn't survive the events that brought them on, I wouldn't be me, and I like me.

ARaider
26th Jul 2014, 23:14
^ Yeah, you're correct, it is something pernament. Gera Rivia has his scar and it stays with him and it is part of his character, being a monster hunter and all. Nick Fury has an eyepatch because he lost his eye. Do we want Lara to lose an eye, so she could have a cool eyepatch? :D
We want lara to lose 2 eyes!!!!! She will be the ultimate pirate tomb raider!!! rise of the pirate tomb raider!!! :lol::lol:

BIOSEXUAL?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes biosexual :lol:
Some people want her gay others not, so perfectly in the middle biosexual. :p
Actually I hope they keep her straight. :D

Metalrocks
27th Jul 2014, 12:26
For me, I have one scar on my collarbone from a surgery as a baby, and three that are hallmarks of my misspent youth -- one on my arm from my years as a drug addict, one on my leg from an abusive ex-boyfriend & one on my wrist from an aborted suicide attempt. They were extremely painful, extremely sad events, but I'm still here. I'm ten years clean, I'm in a really good relationship & the scars are like badges of honor. None of that defeated me. Instead of framing it in my head like it's a reminder of a failure, I celebrate it -- it's a reminder that I'm. still. here.

I'm a bit of an aesthete myself, but my version of perfection for myself includes these scars. If I didn't have those scars and didn't survive the events that brought them on, I wouldn't be me, and I like me.

that is sure a sad story but good to hear you are still confident and were bale to stay clean.

i also have scars. not from tragic events as yours.
2 on my upper right leg after taking samples because when i was a kid, i had some weird skin problem that looked like i got burned. no doctor could tell what it was. but they said it should go away when i grow up and it did go away.
the rest are mainly from accidents during my trade. especially on my hands. one over my hip from a big branch that bounced on the trailer after loading it on. one on my shoulder from a bicycle accident. also minor once on my head. but thats about it.

but it toughed me to be more aware of things and what i do and touch. some of them were painful after all.

ActionHero
27th Jul 2014, 17:00
that is sure a sad story but good to hear you are still confident and were bale to stay clean.

2 on my upper right leg after taking samples because when i was a kid, i had some weird skin problem that looked like i got burned. no doctor could tell what it was. but they said it should go away when i grow up and it did go away.
the rest are mainly from accidents during my trade. especially on my hands. one over my hip from a big branch that bounced on the trailer after loading it on. one on my shoulder from a bicycle accident. also minor once on my head. but thats about it.

but it toughed me to be more aware of things and what i do and touch. some of them were painful after all.

I'm glad you were able to glean something positive from the experiences, but I am sorry that you had to go through anything negative. For me, none of my scars were incidental, they were all big defining moments in my journey to figure out who I am & what I think.. and I like looking at them and thinking, yeah, I was there, and I survived that, and I will survive whatever comes next, even if it hurts.

I guess it's all in how you frame it?

Driber
27th Jul 2014, 19:26
Yes biosexual :lol:

Not sure if serious or not, but it's bisexual, not biosexual.

Some people want her gay others not, so perfectly in the middle biosexual.

Again, not sure if serious or not, but that makes no sense whatsoever -_-

ARaider
27th Jul 2014, 19:40
Not sure if serious or not, but it's bisexual, not biosexual.

Again, not sure if serious or not, but that makes no sense whatsoever -_-
I wrote it on my phone, you know stupid autocorrect.:p
Lol this may sound weird but I can't remember writing it.... It was in the middle of the night so I guess that's why, and when I'm tired I say/type weird things. And I had a little party.:naughty:
So I'm really sorry (I don't agree with myself though, can't believe I wrote this).:em:

Driber
27th Jul 2014, 21:15
Hmm, maybe upping the age for alcohol in Holland from 16 to 18 isn't even enough :p

ARaider
27th Jul 2014, 22:30
Hmm, maybe upping the age for alcohol in Holland from 16 to 18 isn't even enough :p

No alcohol and drugs for me. I'm waaaay to young for alcohol and drugs.:p
It was just in the middle of the night, and then i'm always full of energy and can run a marathon (and I get really really dry humor, even drier than normally.:p).:D
Lol, that little party was just me and 10 friends playing games.:lol:
And if you're younger than 18, you can't have alcohol they wont sell it to you. Sure you could ask a older person to buy it for you, but you can do that in other counties as well.:D
And I think alcohol is gross, that needs te be enough to have an idea of how old I am.:)

EDIT:Conclusion: I wasn't drunk or anything I was just tired and being weird. :D
And it's a shame for our country that a lot of people think (No offense I don't say that you guys think so) that we are often drunk and stoned. I can tell you that only a few people in our country use wiet and get stoned and things like that, and they often aren't fully Dutch either. We also don't drink a lot. It really hurts me that a lot of people think like that.:( And again I don't say that anyone of you thinks like this.:)

oh and driber, if I may ask from what country are you. :D

Driber
28th Jul 2014, 10:48
And it's a shame for our country that a lot of people think (No offense I don't say that you guys think so) that we are often drunk and stoned. I can tell you that only a few people in our country use wiet and get stoned and things like that, and they often aren't fully Dutch either. We also don't drink a lot. It really hurts me that a lot of people think like that.:( And again I don't say that anyone of you thinks like this.:)

I've never heard anyone saying that the Dutch a bunch of heavy drinkers.

Russians, sure. Quite often. But the Dutch - never.

The "Dutch potheads" stereotype on the other hand... :whistle:

oh and driber, if I may ask from what country are you. :D

Drie maal raden :D

ARaider
28th Jul 2014, 12:14
I've never heard anyone saying that the Dutch a bunch of heavy drinkers.

Russians, sure. Quite often. But the Dutch - never.

The "Dutch potheads" stereotype on the other hand... :whistle:

Drie maal raden :D

Euhm ik gok Nederland.:p
Damn dat had ik niet verwacht, ik dacht dat ik de enige Nederlander hier was.:D
ik switch ff weer naar engels hoor!
I heard enough people saying it.:D It was even in my geography book! :lol:
And I have a lot of friends that don't live in The Netherlands and they asked me if Dutch people really drink and smoke that much as a lot of people say.
But maybe I lived under a rock for some years and missed that people don't think like that anymore.:p

Driber
28th Jul 2014, 15:08
Heh, nope, you're definitely not the only Dutch person here. In fact, we have a fair number of Dutch (and Belgian) members. Although they don't all post every day.

Hmm, maybe :p Hope you were careful, though. Rock are murder weapons :D

ARaider
28th Jul 2014, 16:56
Heh, nope, you're definitely not the only Dutch person here. In fact, we have a fair number of Dutch (and Belgian) members. Although they don't all post every day.

Hmm, maybe :p Hope you were careful, though. Rock are murder weapons :D
That's why I think they should be banned. Rock are dangerous. Also every killer in the world has seen rocks, I see a link!:p Rocks make people violent.:lol:
careful for what? the party? Or careful for rocks?:D
I'm already careful for rocks I don't trust them....:p

Metalrocks
29th Jul 2014, 02:31
dont forget bones, they are very deadly as well.
wstIBq2H0z8

ARaider
29th Jul 2014, 12:21
dont forget bones, they are very deadly as well.
wstIBq2H0z8

yeah, also need to ban that, and every killer has bones. I see a link!;):p

Rai
29th Jul 2014, 13:22
What the hell did I just watch? :p Amazing monkey costumes. You could almost believe they're not humans in costumes.

pidipidi39
29th Jul 2014, 13:36
Using Lara's hairstyle as an example of change while keeping Lara recognisable is a bad choice. Women (and men) change their hairstyles all the time. The ponytail isn't a vast change, Lara's hair is still long and brown, so this helps to keep Lara recognisable along with other characteristics.
I get your point, I actually could have used a better example :)
But still, while in real life people change their hair pretty often, fictional characters kinda always keep the same style (except from TV series maybe).
Though I think I'm going to agree with you on the fact that a scar may be a more defining characteristic than the hairstyle.

A scar on the other hand, may fade, but a bad enough one, say on her arm, would not just disappear. So this is not the same thing. I doubt if anyone wants any said scars to become a signature recognisable feature of Lara in the same way as say, the dual guns, but a scar, even just one in prominent place will be noticeable and be associated with Lara. It's a fine line, actually. If CD chose to add one scar as a visual 'realistic' reminder of her ordeal on Yamatai, you kind of have to go with it..and should she hurt herself badly enough in Rise, to keep the consistency, she'd have a scar for that too, and then again and again potentially. Where do you stop?. Because if you don't it makes that first scar somehow 'special' and the addition and reasoning for it becomes shallow. Then again, having Lara get visible wounds during the game in turn becomes shallow if you just have her healed perfectly for the next adventure (it depends on the time frame between them too).
I agree.

I'm not against Lara having a scar on her arm , if it's faded, but it's not necessary as a reminder as they could just as well, if not better, show how the ordeal effected her in an emotional way, in her personality. I'd say she should have a scar on her abdomen, but would we ever see it? They could make a reference to it, subtly i guess (Lara having a fall and holding her side as she sits at camp or something). But realism in games doesn't have to be realistic.
Actually I would like them to stick with the scar on her side; it could actually become a main characteristic (there was a big focus on it in TR9).

I strongly disagree because scar IS a person's characteristic whether we like it or not. Ezio from AC has a small one on his lip and he and the whole series actually are marked by that exact scar.
It surely IS a characteristic (I've never said it wasn't) but it doesn't have to be a main/defining characteristic (though I see your point). Ezio has a scar and the series were marked by that, that's fine, but I don't see what that has to do with Tomb Raider.

Scar is permanent, hairstyle isn't and that's what I'm talking about. You can change the hair, but you can't change something like a scar.
Read my response to Rai :)

From the discussion here, I see that's exactly what people want - a permanent scar. Even if they say 'just a small one', it's still permanent.
Oh, I didn't notice that. My bad.
Actually, I wouldn't mind a scar either :)

Metalrocks
29th Jul 2014, 14:09
What the hell did I just watch? :p Amazing monkey costumes. You could almost believe they're not humans in costumes.

either you are being sarcastic or you really dont know this classic movie.
its: space odyssey 2001. ;)

Rai
29th Jul 2014, 14:13
I looked the video up on youtube. I honestly didn't know, I haven't seen it. I was being sarcastic about the costumes, though I suppose they're good for the time.

Metalrocks
29th Jul 2014, 14:43
I looked the video up on youtube. I honestly didn't know, I haven't seen it. I was being sarcastic about the costumes, though I suppose they're good for the time.

yeah, its a old movie. came out in the 60s if im not mistaken. pretty much the same time when the original planet of the apes movies came out.

IvanaKC
29th Jul 2014, 18:23

It's great to (finally) read nice stories about people making through some tough situations. :)

Everyone has a perfect vision of themselves. Sure, I may or my not be perfect to myself with scars, but I don't want that to reflect on my view on gaming characters. They can be perfectly designed, I cannot be, I can only view myself as 'perfect' while, in reality, I'm not.

Oh, I didn't notice that. My bad.
Actually, I wouldn't mind a scar either :)

No need to apologize. However, you are on the dark side now. :p

pidipidi39
29th Jul 2014, 19:11
No need to apologize. However, you are on the dark side now. :p
Oh, that's right.

Join us too :p
(we have biscuits, y'know)

Metalrocks
30th Jul 2014, 01:55
@ivan
dont worry, no body is perfect. ;)

@pidipidi
you made think of this video.
ZCMHoQtQKrI

d1n0_xD
11th Dec 2014, 23:35
I knew it would come to this, I wrote that because not everyone has the screen properties as I do. ;)

This is where I clicked with eyedropper tool:
http://i59.tinypic.com/addcap.png

And then I took a brush:
http://i60.tinypic.com/21jxjqb.png

You are all free to do it yourself...

Okay, I think I will! :D

Looks brown to me :p

If this (http://40.media.tumblr.com/82fbfaee5fc87e242812c889c0705882/tumblr_ng2d5qsCzs1u4b40oo1_1280.jpg) isn't brown, I don't know what to tell you guys. :p

IvanaKC
11th Dec 2014, 23:48
If this (http://40.media.tumblr.com/82fbfaee5fc87e242812c889c0705882/tumblr_ng2d5qsCzs1u4b40oo1_1280.jpg) isn't brown, I don't know what to tell you guys. :p

Eye in the shadow still looks green to me and my screen is not even that bright (had to darken it a bit because it was hurting my eyes). Maybe the quality of the pic is not good enough. :p

Oh well, as long as there is a green-brown discussion, it means her eyes are not dark enough. You would never say that her eyes were green in LAU, right?

d1n0_xD
11th Dec 2014, 23:57
Well yeah, but in LAU eyes were less realistic looking, Lara's eyes in Legend were just 1 or 2 colors (http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/gc/lara_croft_tomb_raider_legend/screens/lara_croft_tomb_raider_legend_3.jpg), there were no "landscapes" as I like to call them. Same with Underworld (http://www.tombraider.cn/user/tombraider/webimg/20101010/20101010153237899.jpg). But Lara's eyes in TR2013 are much more realistic, so maybe that's causing confusion? But still, they are dead brown to me, I can't see a hint of green, and this comes from a guy who has brown eyes with a hint of green on the outer side :D

IvanaKC
12th Dec 2014, 00:02
Well yeah, but in LAU eyes were less realistic looking, Lara's eyes in Legend were just 1 or 2 colors (http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/gc/lara_croft_tomb_raider_legend/screens/lara_croft_tomb_raider_legend_3.jpg), there were no "landscapes" as I like to call them. Same with Underworld (http://www.tombraider.cn/user/tombraider/webimg/20101010/20101010153237899.jpg). But Lara's eyes in TR2013 are much more realistic, so maybe that's causing confusion? But still, they are dead brown to me, I can't see a hint of green, and this comes from a guy who has brown eyes with a hint of green on the outer side :D

Take a look here, then (warning, this is beautiful to me, but some people might find is gross; one of the eyes has abnormal pupil because of the lens surgery.):
http://www.surenmanvelyan.com/eyes/your-beautiful-eyes/

You cannot mistake brown eyes for green eyes in a closeup. They really put an effort in Lara's eyes with those, as you call them, landscapes. So maybe we should get an official conformation from Meagan? :p

Rai
12th Dec 2014, 00:21
I'm pretty sure someone at CD already confirmed Lara's eyes are brown in TR'13/DE. I think it was Brian Horton. Don't ask me to find a quote though.

d1n0_xD
12th Dec 2014, 00:34
@Ivana - That's definitely a greenish/blueish eye with a brown inner rim. But Lara's eyes still aren't like that. Here (http://img2.hebus.com/hebus_2013/04/29/preview/1367249552_49724.jpg) I can say they are light-brown, and that's it. Another example (http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/blog/tomb9/lara-croft-2013-2-tombraidernostalgia.jpg). But I don't know, if you see green, who am I to say otherwise xD

a_big_house
12th Dec 2014, 09:41
I'd just to mention that my brown eye-dropper example was a joke, I could have picked any spot on her eye and said it was that colour, even the white sheen :lol: You should all look for that quote that Roo mentioned, that would settle it :D

AdeleDazeem
12th Dec 2014, 10:47
I'm almost sure that in Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals someone commented on Lara's brown eyes. :)

Driber
12th Dec 2014, 13:38
I'm pretty sure someone at CD already confirmed Lara's eyes are brown in TR'13/DE. I think it was Brian Horton. Don't ask me to find a quote though.

You should all look for that quote that Roo mentioned, that would settle it :D

Official FAQ sticky in TR9 section?

dark7angel
12th Dec 2014, 14:53
From GameInformer's A Survivor Is Born: The New Lara Croft (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/12/09/a-survivor-is-born_3a00_-the-new-lara-croft.aspx) article by our very own Meagan Marie, Brian Horton says:

[...]The things that we absolutely kept were the brown eyes, the signature quality of her lips having that M shape, and the relationship between the eyes and the nose and the mouth. Those were things we knew we wanted to maintain.[...]

And I know he mentioned somewhere else that they were definitely brown. I did a quick search over the FAQ page but didn't find it. Maybe it was in a podcast...

Hope that helps!

AlexWeiss
12th Dec 2014, 23:40
I like Lara's new look, but I do wish that they would make it so she more closely resembles the Lara we see in the concept art. She looked quite different in TR9 than she did in the character models we had seen from the art prior to that.

WinterSoldierLTE
13th Dec 2014, 00:37
I think she looks great in TR 2013. She looks similar enough to me to the 'Underworld' Lara that I buy it's the same person. I can honestly say tho that I've never paid attention to her eyes before 2013. Obviously I've seen them, just never taken notice. But there was way more going on in that area in TR 2013 than ever before so I chalk it up to that. I think she'd look good with green eyes, but I have green eyes so I'm biased ;).

One thing I don't get tho is the remodel they did for the "Definitive Edition". After having seen TR 2013 Lara for awhile now and being used to that model, the DE Lara just looks... odd.

QXv2n_jsPcM

Rai
13th Dec 2014, 01:00
I like DE Lara's face. I think she's an improvement in some ways. I think any oddness that is evident comes from the animations. Wasn't it said by CD that they used the same animations on the new head, so sometimes it looks like they don't 'fit' exactly. Fit isn't quite the correct word as it's not like a mask :p.

WinterSoldierLTE
13th Dec 2014, 01:05
Wasn't it said by CD that they used the same animations on the new head, so sometimes it looks like they don't 'fit' exactly. Fit isn't quite the correct word as it's not like a mask :p.

Could be. I never really kept up with the press for the DE release so I won't doubt it. It does make sense.

RybatGrimes
13th Dec 2014, 06:23
I like DE Lara's face. I think she's an improvement in some ways. I think any oddness that is evident comes from the animations. Wasn't it said by CD that they used the same animations on the new head, so sometimes it looks like they don't 'fit' exactly. Fit isn't quite the correct word as it's not like a mask :p.

Yeah, they didn't adjust any of the bones on her face or the animations to suit the new face, they just slapped the old animations over it, which is why it looks so odd sometimes because some of her facial features are different and don't line up properly.

Driber
13th Dec 2014, 08:43
Yeah, they didn't adjust any of the bones on her face or the animations to suit the new face, they just slapped the old animations over it, which is why it looks so odd sometimes because some of her facial features are different and don't line up properly.

I wouldn't describe it as "slapping old animations over it", but yes. Plus, TR9 Lara already had some weird expressions in the original game to begin with.

Rai
13th Dec 2014, 12:20
This is why I'm looking forward to seeing RiseLara. I'm hoping for some consistency in her looks, but this time the next gen will be from the beginning and with that Mova technology for facial expressions/animations.

AlexWeiss
13th Dec 2014, 22:57
I think she looks great in TR 2013. She looks similar enough to me to the 'Underworld' Lara that I buy it's the same person. I can honestly say tho that I've never paid attention to her eyes before 2013. Obviously I've seen them, just never taken notice. But there was way more going on in that area in TR 2013 than ever before so I chalk it up to that. I think she'd look good with green eyes, but I have green eyes so I'm biased ;).

One thing I don't get tho is the remodel they did for the "Definitive Edition". After having seen TR 2013 Lara for awhile now and being used to that model, the DE Lara just looks... odd.

I agree with you on that, I feel like the PC TressFX was a better representation of what "next-gen" Lara should look like, however DE did have better textures, though. I can't pin point why I dislike it so much, I think it's because DE looked more like they tried making her look like a video game character, while the other version looked more human to me; the emotions looked more realistic I suppose, more like it suit her face, but that goes back to the fact that they used the old animations.

Blacktron
13th Dec 2014, 23:01
I wonder how TressFX or a related program could make her hair look like when it's down :)

RybatGrimes
14th Dec 2014, 02:20
I wouldn't describe it as "slapping old animations over it", but yes. Plus, TR9 Lara already had some weird expressions in the original game to begin with.

Well that's quite literally what they did. :p They didn't change any of them to suit the new face they just copy/pasted them over onto the DE face.

This is why I'm looking forward to seeing RiseLara. I'm hoping for some consistency in her looks, but this time the next gen will be from the beginning and with that Mova technology for facial expressions/animations.

Lol, they couldn't even keep it the same throughout the reboot though. I think I've given up hope that CD will be consistent with Lara's face. :\

d1n0_xD
14th Dec 2014, 12:43
DE Lara looks great and I think that's the "default" face we're gonna be seeing in the future, definitely resembles Underworld's Lara, which is a plus :D

NightRain'06
17th Dec 2014, 23:58
I'll keep my reply short.

Primarily, she's a video game character so, honestly, it doesn't bother me how much Lara's appearance has "changed" over the years.

So I will love what the animators do with her appearance ~ since it's their imagination of what she would or should look like.

IvanaKC
18th Dec 2014, 01:14
Lol, they couldn't even keep it the same throughout the reboot though. I think I've given up hope that CD will be consistent with Lara's face. :\

Isn't the inconsistency in her face a trademark of Tomb Raider? -.-
It's been like that for almost 20 years now, I don't see the reason why it should stop. It only shows that creators are getting more creative with every game.

Driber
18th Dec 2014, 13:52
Well that's quite literally what they did. :p

Literally, you say? So someone at CD actually slapped something onto Lara? How misogynistic :mad:

They didn't change any of them to suit the new face they just copy/pasted them over onto the DE face.

Now that's a wording I can be aboard with :p

And who said they would? Lara is well known for her ever changing appearance. It's nothing new, really.

Isn't the inconsistency in her face a trademark of Tomb Raider? -.-
It's been like that for almost 20 years now, I don't see the reason why it should stop. It only shows that creators are getting more creative with every game.

This.

And the funny thing is that if CD *did* have a reputation of keeping Lara's face consistent, then all the haters come crawling out of the woodworks and bash CD for "being stuck in the past" :rasp:

AdobeArtist
18th Dec 2014, 17:13

And who said they would? Lara is well known for her ever changing appearance. It's nothing new, really.

To expand on Driber's point, the same can be said of all fictional characters. How many variations have we seen on the face of Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Selina Kyle, Wonder Woman, Steve Rogers, Thor, Wolverine... well you get the idea.

The principle being that fictional characters are really concepts, outlining a general visual idea (hair color, hair style including facial (where applicable), general body build from lean to super muscular, and so on. But then each artist takes that foundation concept and fleshes out the details as they see it, those exacting specs on the eye design, cheek bones, nose, lips, chin and jaw. Really, have you ever seen an exact match to those measurements on Clark Kent's face over the decades?

And while Lara isn't as old as those comic legends, the underlying principle remains the same. Lara as a character is a concept which can be refined and evolved over time. This is especially relevant when based in the digital media where the tech to render her image is itself always evolving.

People really need to let go this erroneous idea of Lara (or any character for that matter) being defined by just "one singular image".

IvanaKC
18th Dec 2014, 17:43
This.

And the funny thing is that if CD *did* have a reputation of keeping Lara's face consistent, then all the haters come crawling out of the woodworks and bash CD for "being stuck in the past" :rasp:

:rolleyes: