PDA

View Full Version : How Far Are We In Development?

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2014, 03:07
Based from what we saw today (i.e. the reveal) how far into production are we? Has the story been crafted and now being implemented? Are we already in alpha? I know the game has been worked on for some time now (since last august for sure) so how much of the actual game does that entail? I'm not familiar with the process, so I just want to know if the conception takes longer than the making or vice versa. I'm assuming we're somewhere at a good point if they are able to officially reveal the game. Also, I've seen the news that Karl Stewart left, and of course Meagan Marie, have their replacements been chosen? Does this affect the development? I have so many unanswered questions and I don't know who to ask lol

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2014, 03:44
if they want to publish it officially, it would be announced at the E3 during interviews, if they not already announced it during the presentation. so i guess all you can do is wait. others, if not driber alone, would post interviews, etc for us here.

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2014, 03:48
Well, I guess I was just wondering if I had missed something. It was odd seeing the game trailer debut and nobody even spoke about it :p I like the involvement and I hope that CD doesn't turn into one of those voiceless companies when it concerns the fans (not that I'm insinuating this at all). I've never been one for patience when it comes to Tomb Raider though so I guess that's my downfall

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2014, 03:57
Well, I guess I was just wondering if I had missed something. It was odd seeing the game trailer debut and nobody even spoke about it :p I like the involvement and I hope that CD doesn't turn into one of those voiceless companies when it concerns the fans (not that I'm insinuating this at all). I've never been one for patience when it comes to Tomb Raider though so I guess that's my downfall

lol, what about valve and HL3? so far no one knows if they are actually working on it. all we had were some rumors and some leaks of arts but nothing conclusive. i would say valve is far more mysterious then other companies.
CD was pretty informative with the information they wanted to share with the public at the 2012 E3, plus answering our questions as well we were able to ask.

so all you we have to do is just sit back and wait for the next few weeks.

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2014, 04:04
lol, what about valve and HL3? so far no one knows if they are actually working on it. all we had were some rumors and some leaks of arts but nothing conclusive. i would say valve is far more mysterious then other companies.
CD was pretty informative with the information they wanted to share with the public at the 2012 E3, plus answering our questions as well we were able to ask.

so all you we have to do is just sit back and wait for the next few weeks.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, with all of the recent changes and studio head leaving, and our community manager gone, who will be informing us? Have they even hired someone new? lol That's what I don't like the "mum" on. I know the game is moving forward obviously otherwise it wouldn't have been showcased, but I just want CD to keep up the track record that they did during TR (13's) release. There was tons of outreach, and I just don't want that to change with new people involved

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2014, 04:10
all in good time.
just think about how crazy we all were in 2012, how eager we want the new TR, and now look. more than a year passed since the latest TR came out.
i mean, yes, of course im exited for the new TR and next year again appears to be far away but i know that we will be holding the game sooner than we think.

Shaikh
10th Jun 2014, 08:20
They are well into development. ;)

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2014, 09:40
Can anyone remember what was the gap between 2013's game's trailer and gameplay? Maybe we could expect to see some early gameplay during summer? :o

Daftvirgin
10th Jun 2014, 13:45
The game is set to release holiday 2015. I think that indicates that CD is in full production.

a_big_house
10th Jun 2014, 14:06
Can anyone remember what was the gap between 2013's game's trailer and gameplay? Maybe we could expect to see some early gameplay during summer? :o

E3 2011 - Turning Point trailer & Scavenger Den demo

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 17:58
[this is not official info]

Can't say exact dates, but those of you who have been paying close attention to the official channels would know that TR10 has been in development for over a year ;)

Don't worry, Meagan's replacement will be announced in due time.

As for Karl - Scot Amos has been doing some of the things Karl used to do. Not sure if he's Karl's official replacement, though, so just gotta wait and see :)

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2014, 19:34
^ Whoa, whoa, whoa, so Karl and Meagan are gone? I didn't know that :(

XylophoneDealers
10th Jun 2014, 22:12
^ Whoa, whoa, whoa, so Karl and Meagan are gone? I didn't know that :(

Meagan left to work in Ireland for a different game company. (The feels :'( [[[[we miss you meagan]]]]). And Karl I think got a promotion - but I don't know exactly... :O

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 22:17
^ Karl first changed from CD brand manager to SE marketing something something, and then left to work for a different company as well.

@Dino:

Meagan works for Riot Games now... those lucky bastards.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141818

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=133240

Murphdawg1
10th Jun 2014, 23:40
Can we nominate someone for Community Manager?

Driber
11th Jun 2014, 00:00
Only if you nominate Meagan :D

Murphdawg1
11th Jun 2014, 00:07
Only if you nominate Meagan :D

I had Melonie Mac in mind considering she's a huge TR fan.

d1n0_xD
11th Jun 2014, 08:26
Damn, dude, that's a bummer, but good luck to them both :D I'm sure we'll love the next CM, so announce them already :P

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 08:29
I dont think their very close or anything to release. Square Enix I noticed didnt allow Crystal Dynamics to attend E3. Usually games closer to release have the devs there to talk about the game but I didnt notice SE allowing CD to appear there, did anyone else?

Driber
11th Jun 2014, 09:28
^ TR10 is 15 years from release, so there's another E3 in between. Makes sense for CD to only be there 'full force' next year, rather than this year when only a trailer was released. Just like with Turning Point during E3 2011; CD was then full force at E3 the following year.

Murphdawg1
11th Jun 2014, 10:20
^ TR10 is 15 years from release, so there's another E3 in between. Makes sense for CD to only be there 'full force' next year, rather than this year when only a trailer was released. Just like with Turning Point during E3 2011; CD was then full force at E3 the following year.

15 years? I think you mean 1.5

XylophoneDealers
11th Jun 2014, 10:46

I read this so many times wondering where 15 was coming from. I laughed when I realised XD

Driber
11th Jun 2014, 10:56
Whoops! haha, yes, I missed a decimal point in there, sorry :o

15 years... gosh... that'll probably kill most of us :D

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 11:19

Ya I noticed the same thing with mirrors Edge 2, its nice the companies let the fans know there is a game being deveolped with some idea of what their doing. Also Phantom Dust did the same thing, so happy about that even if noone cares about the game, its gonna be the best game out of that e3, that man, he work so hard!

chriss_99
11th Jun 2014, 11:45
I'm really happy about the announcement but it bugs me that we have to wait for the game for more than a year. I'm way too impatient, but I understand they need to take time to polish the game. Hopefully, they will provide us with a steady flow of promotion materials and information about the game before the arrival of the main course :)

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 12:34
I'm really happy about the announcement but it bugs me that we have to wait for the game for more than a year. I'm way too impatient, but I understand they need to take time to polish the game. Hopefully, they will provide us with a steady flow of promotion materials and information about the game before the arrival of the main course :)

Ive always wanted to follow a game as it develops here what changes or why things change. Only one game I know is doing that now but its like an MMO type game called Eternal Crusade. Keeps the community very informed, I never understood why more devs dont normally do this outside of indie devs. Isnt free publicity the best publicity?

chriss_99
11th Jun 2014, 13:31
Ive always wanted to follow a game as it develops here what changes or why things change. Only one game I know is doing that now but its like an MMO type game called Eternal Crusade. Keeps the community very informed, I never understood why more devs dont normally do this outside of indie devs. Isnt free publicity the best publicity?

Perhaps you're right. But most developers prefer dropping big bombs every so often. It's got a much more powerful impact. Lots of people start talking about it and it's everywhere in the news.
Just look at Tomb Raider and Lara Croft, two titles announced at the same time. I reckon it'll take some time before we see the actual gameplay.

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 14:03
Perhaps you're right. But most developers prefer dropping big bombs every so often. It's got a much more powerful impact. Lots of people start talking about it and it's everywhere in the news.
Just look at Tomb Raider and Lara Croft, two titles announced at the same time. I reckon it'll take some time before we see the actual gameplay.

But Tomb Raider 2013 barely made a profit, im afraid if that happens again SE wont let CD make anymore tomb raider games?

chriss_99
11th Jun 2014, 14:25
But Tomb Raider 2013 barely made a profit, im afraid if that happens again SE wont let CD make anymore tomb raider games?

Why would you say so? Tomb Raider was extremely successful, it was SE that had incredible expectations about the game. In the end they were pretty content with the sales.

_Ninja_
11th Jun 2014, 15:06

Wrong.

Tomb Raider's reboot "exceeded profit expectations" after all. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-tomb-raiders-reboot-exceeded-profit-expectations-after-all)

Metalrocks
11th Jun 2014, 15:18
well, lets hope that SE finally comes to its senses and dont expect such a high number and call it failure again if it doesnt reach their expectations. 3 mill is still a lot of units for one month.
but i think that many are aware of the reboot since there are many positive reviews and the upcoming one should sell even better. just SE should maybe expect 5 mill and not 10 mill.

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 15:21
Wrong.

Tomb Raider's reboot "exceeded profit expectations" after all. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-tomb-raiders-reboot-exceeded-profit-expectations-after-all)

bu-but those sales numbers hes using counted in their figures all the copies given away free which didnt reflect any actual net profit... Hes just saying number of "copies" not that anyone bought them or not. SE was firm on their statement as far as I know.

_Ninja_
11th Jun 2014, 15:23
"By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013 Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance." - SE Studio head Darrell Gallagher

How more clear can it be?

BridgetFisher
11th Jun 2014, 15:27
"By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013 Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance." - SE Studio head Darrell Gallagher

How more clear can it be?

Im confused in the article it says that man works for CD not SE? am I reading it wrong?
Ah he works at both that is why Im confused...
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/21/crystal-dynamics-darrell-gallagher-appointed-squares-head-of-studios-in-north-america-and-europe/

_Ninja_
11th Jun 2014, 15:32
Darrell Gallagher is Square Enix head of studios for North America and Europe.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/21/crystal-dynamics-darrell-gallagher-appointed-squares-head-of-studios-in-north-america-and-europe/

DamianGraham
12th Jun 2014, 17:38
Yeah, I think SE placed too high of expectations on CD and Tomb Raider, and ultimately they let THEMSELVES down to begin with, but when a game makes profitability then you really have nothing to complain about. If SE stopped CD from making future TR installments, you'd best believe they'd get some backlash from the community haha, and if you check on Facebook, since Tomb Raider released last year, the amount of likes has surpassed 1 million likes. I remember back when it was in the hundred thousands... I just really feel uneasy not knowing whats going on internally at CD, I don't wanna lose all of the original team that helped to launch the last game, and ultimately lose the feeling of it as well, but thats just my pessimistic side coming out

Rai
13th Jun 2014, 22:38
Well, someone from CD has finally been tweeting and blogging on their behalf since the reveal. So, that's something, until the new CM is introduced to us.

As for how far into development the game is, I guess it's impossible to tell at this stage with no gameplay or even screens yet to hazard a guess on.

What and when's the next gaming event? Perhaps we'll see new stuff then :).

BridgetFisher
13th Jun 2014, 23:40
Well, someone from CD has finally been tweeting and blogging on their behalf since the reveal. So, that's something, until the new CM is introduced to us.

As for how far into development the game is, I guess it's impossible to tell at this stage with no gameplay or even screens yet to hazard a guess on.

What and when's the next gaming event? Perhaps we'll see new stuff then :).

Dont they usually hire people who run the Lara fan sites to do that stuff? I mean even the pope makes a tweet everyday. I find it strange that a company trying to sell a product has no presence in the marketplace.

Rai
13th Jun 2014, 23:55
Dont they usually hire people who run the Lara fan sites to do that stuff? I mean even the pope makes a tweet everyday. I find it strange that a company trying to sell a product has no presence in the marketplace.
As I said, someone is using the social media to advertise both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Temple of Osiris. So, either they've hired someone new as a CM, but this person hasn't been introduced yet or they've got someone already on the team to do it temporarily. Didn't Meagan have an assistant, perhaps she's filling in or has taken the job.