PDA

View Full Version : What Deus Ex could look like in Unreal Engine 4

ZakKa89
30th Apr 2014, 14:30
check it out peeps

Original Article (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/30/bioshock-deus-ex-unreal-engine-4/)

tjTQwZRUfb8#t=74

Looks sweet doesn't it?

zwanzig_zwoelf
30th Apr 2014, 14:39
bro wow so shiny and blooming my eyes are bleeding those grafix are too good for my eyes gotta augment them

CyberP
30th Apr 2014, 16:16
bro wow so shiny and blooming my eyes are bleeding those grafix are too good for my eyes gotta augment them

This...I think?

3rdmillhouse
30th Apr 2014, 17:37
Too many reflections, women can't wear skirts in an envoriment like this.

Spyhopping
30th Apr 2014, 17:59
Oooooh pretty. Got drool on my keyboard.

Shralla
30th Apr 2014, 18:38
Makes me want to play Mirror's Edge.

Too many reflections, women can't wear skirts in an envoriment like this.

Haha, why not? The women on Star Trek Next Generation wore skirts for the whole first season, even on the second floor of engineering that has see-through floors.

Spyhopping
30th Apr 2014, 18:58
All you need is at least one Scotsman wandering around in a kilt to deal with both of those problems.

Jito463
30th Apr 2014, 21:18
Haha, why not? The women on Star Trek Next Generation wore skirts for the whole first season, even on the second floor of engineering that has see-through floors.

I'm not entirely certain those qualified as "skirts". Possibly more like long shirts (blouses?:scratch:).

FrankCSIS
30th Apr 2014, 22:43
Gorgeous!

The multiple takes on that sexy and curvy Dyson vacuum sold it for me!

3rdmillhouse
30th Apr 2014, 22:44
All you need is at least one Scotsman wandering around in a kilt to deal with both of those problems.

ARgh!!! The mental image!!!!! Make it go away!!!! :mad2:

FrankCSIS
30th Apr 2014, 22:57
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon, tied into a bow
Around the bonnie star, the Scots kilt did lift and show
Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards a tree
Behind a bush, he lift his kilt and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes.
O lad I don't know where you been but I see you won first prize

IHaveReturned
1st May 2014, 06:25
Sooo...I'm guessing UE5 will be photo-realistic?

Shralla
1st May 2014, 18:14
That's what people said about UE4.

besyuziki
9th Jul 2014, 11:03
Next Deus Ex needs an engine like UE4 not just for gorgeous visuals, but for features too. The restrictiveness of Human Revolution's engine comes up a lot in the dev commentary, whenever they mention something that was planned in early design but had to be removed.

CyberP
9th Jul 2014, 13:47
Next Deus Ex needs an engine like UE4 not just for gorgeous visuals, but for features too. The restrictiveness of Human Revolution's engine comes up a lot in the dev commentary, whenever they mention something that was planned in early design but had to be removed.

As I've said before, HR's problem was primarily in it's design, not the engine. Deus Ex 1 was made on Unreal 1, very limiting by today's standards but it's the design that makes it better than HR.

ColBashar
9th Jul 2014, 15:19
The engine influenced design decisions, though. And while DX1 may have been built on the Unreal engine, it was a heavily modified version. A lot of work had to go into "simple" features like the dialogue cutscenes and the AI's ability to respond to faction changes dynamically over the course of gameplay, something that Unreal didn't natively support.

The biggest limitation to the Human Revolution engine that stuck in my mind after listening to the developer commentary was the hard limit on the number of NPCs that could loaded at any given time. I think it capped at about 30. That by itself explains to me why EM made a lot of decisions it did in terms of map design. No where is this better highlighted than when comparing the Belltower raid on Alice Garden Pods to the MJ12 raid on the Lucky Money. The Lucky Money was chaotic and felt like it had real consequences in the potential for collateral damage. As I noted on a past thread, I played that scene half a dozen times, not because I died but because I refused to continue if either of the Australian girls were killed. I was the one who let them into the club and that made me feel responsible for their safety.

By contrast Alice Garden Pods took that away from me in that all of the civilians were removed off-screen. Some died, some escaped, and that silhouette reading her book must have had her iPod tuned up because she didn't react to the attack at all. But all of that happened without any interaction from me and so my emotional investment was reduced.

I attribute that directly to a limitation of the engine. I'm confident that had the engine been able to handle more NPCs running simultaneously then EM would have made the Garden Pods much more closely resemble my experience at the Lucky Money.

AlexOfSpades
9th Jul 2014, 15:32
And Unreal has modding support. But noooo...

CyberP
9th Jul 2014, 23:12
The engine influenced design decisions, though.

Nothing important as far as this forum is concerned, all the whining has primarily been regarding unrestricted design.
RPG systems, takedowns, third person, battery system, gold overload, lack of interactivity (and it is not expected to all be physics-enabled interactivity), radar by default, writing, hacking systems, the list goes on and on.

30 NPCs processed at any given time? There is probably exactly 30 NPCs in the Lucky Money...OK, maybe 40, but I've never seen anybody complaining ever about a lack of NPCs in DX:HR. They seriously wanted to have more lifeless mannequins in any given area? This limitation, if true, was probably a good thing, making them focus on breathing life into what they had.
Yet I don't find myself talking to the majority of friendly NPCs because said majority have next to no dialogue, the majority all die in one shot to the foot, there's few NPC-related events (an example being the bum getting mugged in NYC in DX1) and so on.

Anyway, I'm bashing the game again, breaking the surprisingly peaceful status quo of late.
The game is a passionate work of art that is pretty good in it's own right so I feel bad every damn time I contribute to the (wholly justified) hate wagon. Unfortunately I doubt they will best their previous attempt, but I am more than ready to play it when it's released. something to look forward to in fact.

besyuziki
10th Jul 2014, 01:39
Nothing important as far as this forum is concerned, all the whining has primarily been regarding unrestricted design.
RPG systems, takedowns, third person, battery system, gold overload, lack of interactivity (and it is not expected to all be physics-enabled interactivity), radar by default, writing, hacking systems, the list goes on and on.

Those are all legitimate points of criticism, and of course things like one button fatalities takedowns and baby mode health regeneration were the team's own decision which have nothing to do with the engine, but I wouldn't diss the engine's role in the grand scheme of things right away. Especially when the devs themselves mention its restrictiveness several times during the developer commentary, regarding, dialogues with more than one person (also applies to dialogue battles), water masses, mirrors, more than 2 lines of monologues from generic NPC's when you interact with them, boxguards which transform real time... All little things, but I still say together they could make a difference.

Also funny you should mention the Hell's Kitchen incident in the first game, because in a commentary entry (during our first visit to Hengsha I think), they do mention they had planned little unlisted quests where we were supposed to interact with the characters around us for profit, extra intel or background information, sort of like the how that bum gives you the code "underground" when you save him. Surprise surprise, they had to drop the idea because of the engine.

Then again, they may be discrediting the engine to shift the blame. :D

CyberP
10th Jul 2014, 05:31
I refuse to believe some of that is true, but I know little about Crystal so I yield.
I do know that the list you mention could have been applied to the already existing, lifeless mannequin NPCs though. You probably misheard and it was time constraints on that one, not engine limitations.

I guess SE/Eidos wanted them to use an underdeveloped in-house engine so they didn't have to pay royalties/fees of any kind, yet Hengsha was huge and NPC-filled so I won't take any bullhit excuses :p.

There obviously were engine limitations, but mostly in performance and graphics, not the stuff I truly care about. I'm constantly playing DX1 with a fluctuating frame rate (when using my ****ty laptop it gets drops occasionally) and it's ugly gfx ;)
Of course performance is important, but what we see in the game already was fine and runs well, it need not have more eye candy or NPCs per map, the game looks great, gold overload, primitive lighting etc aside. It's not what we see in the game so much that is a problem, it's what we do (and don't do).
Nobody is really arguing with this though, so yes, we'll agree the engine sucked as much as a good number of their design decisions :P

You know I love you really EM ;)

MechBFP
10th Jul 2014, 12:34
Oooh, can't wait to play it at 1 FPS!