PDA

View Full Version : To be continued or Discontinued -Deus ex the fall Part 2

deadlygun
24th Apr 2014, 18:56
Is deus the fall Part 2 discontinued ? Has there been any official statement for this ?

If there was no plan , then it makes no sense ending the game with the "to be continued" rather it would have been better to say "to be continued or discontinued based on sales figures"

CyberP
24th Apr 2014, 20:21
"to be continued or discontinued based on sales figures"

This shouldn't need to be said. A continuation of something is never guaranteed, including life itself :)

FrankCSIS
25th Apr 2014, 00:13
Pretty much anything ending with To Be Continued is cursed into cliffhanger hell.

I'm always a big fan of "James Bond Will Return", though. It's a statement you can trust. Feels like no matter what happens, the agent, or the Doctor, will always be around. Leave it to the Brits to give us a haven of continuity and stability :p

zwanzig_zwoelf
25th Apr 2014, 08:11
bro i want deus ex the fall episode 2 its gonna be interesting i liked the fall and i want more come one em give me a candy

JCpies
25th Apr 2014, 08:40
Pretty much anything ending with To Be Continued is cursed into cliffhanger hell.

I'm always a big fan of "James Bond Will Return", though. It's a statement you can trust. Feels like no matter what happens, the agent, or the Doctor, will always be around. Leave it to the Brits to give us a haven of continuity and stability :p

Maybe they should do product placement like James Bond, or hell even adverts.

Oh wait.

WarSong
26th Apr 2014, 06:52
I would like to see some sort of activity on The Fall.

I loved DX:HR. My first playthru was on GIVE ME DEUS EX which a friend swore was impossible. (I've seen others say its not any harder but w/e.) Point is I love the game. And I wanted to play The Fall on my tablet but I saw it coming to steam on PC and was like: F-YEAH. I expected it to have UI and elements left over from the mobile version. Knowing what I was getting myself into meant no disappointing surprises. The game lived up to everything I expected and I REALLY love The Fall. But I did expect it to have some clue as to when part two would be out for mobiles and PC.

All the best things have come in 3s. I'd like to see two more episodes of The Fall. Let's go to Australia and back to Moscow. I mean, hell, there's other members of the Tyrants to smack down. News of someone taking out key members has got to be demoralizing and getting slapped around by Ben might convince a few of them to turn over a new leaf. Maybe even show up at some ocean science station in time to rescue a good guy. (A terrible time for someone from the past to show up and try to kill you both.)

I laughed. I cried. I showed the game to friends. Even bought a 360 controller to get into the game like I would on a console. I just like to know Eidos isn't going to pull an EA on us.

Otherwise I might be forced to write a fan fiction to curb my jones and I HATE fanfics.

ResidentX
26th Apr 2014, 14:19
I'm sure there will be a follow-up but they need to beef up Saxon and bring more life Kelso. I hope the next version lets up play them both. I would like to see the reunion with his old squaddie, Sam Durante.

roger1724
3rd May 2014, 17:02
I enjoyed The Fall. My guess is that the people who hated it so much didn't know it was a mobile game, ha. But somehow I don't think they'll ever continue it

Shralla
3rd May 2014, 17:07
I'm pretty sure everybody knew it was a mobile game.

ResidentX
3rd May 2014, 17:13
I enjoyed The Fall. My guess is that the people who hated it so much didn't know it was a mobile game, ha. But somehow I don't think they'll ever continue it

I disagree with you, Roger1724. I think the mobile game is another way for them to bring in revenue while they work on DX4. I'm willing to bet that we'll get at least 2 more stories about the DE: The Fall

roger1724
3rd May 2014, 17:20
I'm pretty sure everybody knew it was a mobile game.
Seriously? I took a look at the forums on steam the day the game was released. The complaints? OHMYGOD THE BODIES DISAPPEAR AFTER A FEW SECONDS, THIS ISN'T THE SEQUEL I EXPECTED TO HUMAN REVOLUTION!!

I disagree with you, Roger1724. I think the mobile game is another way for them to bring in revenue while they work on DX4. I'm willing to bet that we'll get at least 2 more stories about the DE: The Fall
I hope you're right, but with the reception this game got... though I don't know about the sales

ResidentX
3rd May 2014, 17:26
I hope you're right, but with the reception this game got... though I don't know about the sales

I think DE: The Fall had several problems.

1. User Assumptions: Many though like you mentioned above that this game was on the save level as DE: HR. If you came with those assumptions, you won't think highly of the game.
2. User Interface: DE: The Fall was different in some ways better, some ways worse but they should have set expectations for the game better. Being on a tablet should have told you everything but most people aren't techie...keyboard and mouse is still the best way to play a game. Touch is B.S.

CyberP
3rd May 2014, 23:15
I think DE: The Fall had several problems.

1. User Assumptions: Many though like you mentioned above that this game was on the save level as DE: HR. If you came with those assumptions, you won't think highly of the game.
2. User Interface: DE: The Fall was different in some ways better, some ways worse but should have set expectations for the game better. Being on a tablet should have told you everything but most people aren't techie...keyboard and mouse is still the best way to play a game. Touch is B.S.

No use expressing any opinions on the Fall any more. Total Biscuits "let's NOT play..." video covered it perfectly. Disagree with this video then you should have your augs harvested and sold on the Black Market.

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 02:05
Total Biscuits "let's NOT play..." video covered it perfectly.

I didn't realize your mind was so weak...you augbastard!
"The cynical Brit"...he's even got his own website, cynicalbrit.com...come on!"

Seriously though, always question the advice of someone who tries to make a living by complaining :-)

DE: The Fall wasn't DE:HR but I gave it a chance and played it to the end several times. I gained all the achievements and played the game with maybe only 1 or 2 bugs that weren't critical. For $9.99 that's not bad...

Totalbiscuit was cruel in his review. Just a mouthy Brit who didn't take the time to learn the game controls.

The tutorial wasn't as bad he said.

FrankCSIS
4th May 2014, 06:01
How many personalities have you got in you, matey?

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 13:13
How many personalities have you got in you, matey?

I got one, FrankCSIS. Unlike TotalBiscuit, I played that game at least 3 times maybe 4 times completely and I ran into one or two bugs. None of them were show stoppers. The game was made for a tablet...if you expected this to be a sequel to DE:HR your need to get your head checked.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251299409 - My Stats

The 2 Bugs:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=248615626 - The RPG in the Explosive Pack didn't award. Everything else came.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=250460653 - The Side Mission Drug Runner will shoot at you if you come from the ladder/back. You have to go through the front door to meet him.

CyberP
4th May 2014, 13:16
Seriously though, always question the advice of someone who tries to make a living by complaining :-)

His advice is usually pretty solid. He tries to be objective and fair in his criticism. I don't always find myself agreeing with him, but the nature of his criticism makes him one of few worthy critics on youtube or in game journalism in general.
Yes his video was heavily biased as a Deus Ex fan, but you can't blame him for looking at it as a complete disgrace, what with Deus Ex in the title.
Us DX fans demand very high quality, hop on the bandwagon now :p

The tutorial wasn't as bad he said.

Lol, it looked EXTREMELY bad and all his points were as clear as day, and objective; it's whole design was very anti-Deus Ex. It had the same approach as a modern military shooter, i.e the worst approach.

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 13:25
His advice is usually pretty solid.

Whatever...did you play the game completely personally? I can't believe that you would let others shape your mind. I edited my last post to show where the 2 bugs were in the game. TotalBiscuit(s) is a total limey...he never spent the time to actually learn the interface to play the game right and he adjusted the settings(mouse sensitivity) so the game would play wrong.

CyberP
4th May 2014, 13:31
Whatever...did you play the game completely personally?

Nope, and although this should mean my opinion has little weight, no, I don't think it does. Any game advertising itself as intentionally dumb in it's gameplay ("we made it as simple to play as possible") deserves no second glance. It only got one because DX.
Then there are the obvious hardware limitations, then there is TB's video.
What a disgrace to the DX name, and I'm not giving SE any money just so my opinion can be 10% more weighty, which it does not even need.

TotalBiscuit(s) is a total limey...

:lol:

Anyway, don't get me wrong, it looks very good for a mobile game, but it also intends to be a Deus Ex game. The latter should take precedence. If SE needs money they should whore out new IP's, not DX.
Despite loving many types of games of many genres of many platforms, only the Immersive Sim receiving this treatment pisses me off. But hey, Ion Storm, Irrational, and Arkane all did it so whatever, all made intentionally dumb, lesser products. I refuse to believe cheapening the name in such a way is necessary. There must be other options to grow as a business, such as new IP's primarily made for milking, and another primarily for the art (DX). Sigh, the two are always at odds; art and business, but business almost always wins :(
Who am I to say what's what. All I know is I don't plan to sell out, which is why I'll never make it in this industry.
The only dev team I like with a clean record is From Software (Dark Souls). No BS business practices at all, and for that they have my loyalty.

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 13:38
All of us are coming from different angles to this game. I read the book DE: Icarus Effect and I wanted to learn more about Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso. I don't think they would have made a full blown game to tell their stories. The mobile game was a good way to tell their story compactly. Sort of like snack food. Fills a craving but not the real deal meal...

IOS is a joke but nobody wants to address that issue...half the world just wants to be part of a group.

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 13:55
Here's another knock on totalB...he mocked the designers for the poor quality of the vehicles. Guess where the vehicles were? In the slums...he just so misrepresented the game because he invested no time to do a comprehensive review.

CyberP
4th May 2014, 14:01
Fills a craving but not the real deal meal...

It fills most of us with nothing but disappointment.

he just so misrepresented the game because he invested no time to do a comprehensive review.

It wasn't intended to be a review. More of a first impressions video. Maybe some stuff said wasn't 100% accurate, that's likely actually, but that's almost irrelevant because it's first impressions and nobody cares about such small details when the bigger picture is not worthy...

Anyway, no more opinions.

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 14:17
Anyway, don't get me wrong, it looks very good for a mobile game, but it also intends to be a Deus Ex game. The latter should take precedence. If SE needs money they should whore out new IP's, not DX.
Despite loving many types of games of many genres of many platforms, only the Immersive Sim receiving this treatment pisses me off. But hey, Ion Storm, Irrational, and Arkane all did it so whatever, all made intentionally dumb, lesser products. I refuse to believe cheapening the name in such a way is necessary. There must be other options to grow as a business, such as new IP's primarily made for milking, and another primarily for the art (DX). Sigh, the two are always at odds; art and business, but business almost always wins :(
Who am I to say what's what. All I know is I don't plan to sell out, which is why I'll never make it in this industry.
The only dev team I like with a clean record is From Software (Dark Souls). No BS business practices at all, and for that they have my loyalty.

I agree with this comment. SE was having problems back then. Remember that train wreck called Tomb Raider?
They still haven't figured out why it bombed...maybe it was too violent...go figure. I'll probably never buy a tomb raider game after that but I don't feel the same about DE: The Fall. I think this was a first step in mobile and I just look at it as a mild distraction till DX4. What really pissed me off about TB was that he just one-lined his way through his video. He wasted 34 minutes of my life...

CyberP
4th May 2014, 16:10
I agree with this comment. SE was having problems back then. Remember that train wreck called Tomb Raider?
They still haven't figured out why it bombed....

To date I would wager they have made decent profits off of Tomb Raider. The game sold 5 million copies in it's first week if I remember correctly. That's good, but SE still reported it as a loss? I don't know the details. :/
It sucked in design though, both as a game and a Tomb Raider title. OK, it wasn't that bad if we pretend it was a new IP, but it definitely wasn't Tomb Raider.
God damn QTE's also, sigh.
It was mostly style over substance.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th May 2014, 17:27
ResidentX. TR wasn't really a "train wreck", surely? It received a metascore of 86 which is very good, no?

CyberP: No report from SE that the game made a "loss". What happened is that SE forecast sales too high, so profit was not as good as anticipated. SE expected TR to sell around 5 - 6 million copies; but it reached only 3.4 million; as per their financial report of last year.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/130326slides.pdf

Shralla
4th May 2014, 18:33
Seriously? I took a look at the forums on steam the day the game was released. The complaints? OHMYGOD THE BODIES DISAPPEAR AFTER A FEW SECONDS, THIS ISN'T THE SEQUEL I EXPECTED TO HUMAN REVOLUTION!!

So because it was originally a mobile game, they couldn't possibly have improved any aspect of it for release on a real system? This is exactly why nobody likes it. Being a mobile game originally doesn't forgive a lazy port, it just emphasizes the laziness.

sadmachine
4th May 2014, 18:49
TotalBiscuit's video made me feel a lot better about not having anything to play The Fall on. Love that guy, even if I still have no idea what FOV is.

Jito463
4th May 2014, 18:55
TotalBiscuit's video made me feel a lot better about not having anything to play The Fall on. Love that guy, even if I still have no idea what FOV is.

FOV stands for Field of Vision (or view, can't recall off-hand). Here's an example of different FOV settings from Dishonored (used just because it was the first game that came to mind with decent FOV settings):

FOV 85
http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Dishonored-FOV-85.jpg

FOV 110
http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Dishonored-FOV-110.jpg

The higher the FOV setting, the further left/right you can see. In truth, what it really does is pull the camera back further, but the ultimate effect is that you can see more to either side.

CyberP
4th May 2014, 19:26
The higher the FOV setting, the further left/right you can see. In truth, what it really does is pull the camera back further, but the ultimate effect is that you can see more to either side.

To expand:

And up + down. It's your vision box.
It also does not change the position of the camera, it's essentially zoom in/out.
Field of view is the common use, but field of vision is technically accurate also.

ResidentX
4th May 2014, 20:18
Hi Viktoria,

Thanks for the slide deck. Page 9 was useful. SE did some tricks to juice sales for Tomb Raider. The rereleased it on the new platforms(XboxOne and PS4) and signed a deal huge late last year for Xbox360 that packaged the title with the console.

But the game has made it numbers now so I should be quiet...
I liked the older style but this new focus on shocking violence kind of turned me off.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5478170/tomb-raider-projected-to-hit-6m-sales-become-the-franchises-best

Shralla
4th May 2014, 20:27
Further examples, that I took myself last year when somebody was trying to argue that FOV adjustment was pointless.

Deus Ex Human Revolution with FOV set to 70 degrees:
http://imageshack.com/a/img59/9444/dxfov70.jpg

FOV set to 90 degrees:
http://imageshack.com/a/img33/1496/dxfov90.jpg

CyberP
4th May 2014, 20:37
CyberP: No report from SE that the game made a "loss". What happened is that SE forecast sales too high, so profit was not as good as anticipated. SE expected TR to sell around 5 - 6 million copies; but it reached only 3.4 million; as per their financial report of last year.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/130326slides.pdf

Ah, thanks for the facts. I considered looking it up but was feeling lazy :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th May 2014, 21:53
No problems; we all enjoy lazy days. :cool:

68_pie
5th May 2014, 01:42
TotalBiscuit(s) is a total limey.

Nothing like a little xenophobia in the morning.

sadmachine
5th May 2014, 14:52
Thanks for the FOV explanations and pics. So simple even a console gamer can understand it.

CyberP
5th May 2014, 17:52
Thanks for the FOV explanations and pics. So simple even a console gamer can understand it.

Keep such ignorant statements to yourself, simpleton.

sadmachine
5th May 2014, 18:51
Keep such ignorant statements to yourself, simpleton.

I am a console gamer. :rasp:

Our options menus are much simpler.

Shralla
5th May 2014, 19:50
I am a console gamer. :rasp:

Our options menus are much simpler.

I had a sneaking suspicion that was going to backfire on you CyberP.

CyberP
5th May 2014, 21:36
Boom.

In all seriousness it was still a stupid stereotype.

"So simple even a console gamer can understand it."

This is an insult to a rather large demographic. How about " So simple even I, a simpleton, can understand it".

And they aren't always "much" simpler. Depends on the game, and furthermore, if a developer really wanted to make it happen there could be 100's of options. Only vast customization of graphics is not possible, to the extent of PC. FOV is one that certainly is. I can add it to a game I am developing right now in five minutes.

Shralla
5th May 2014, 23:07
I've definitely seen FOV adjustment on console games, but only a small handful of them. And I think they were all PC ports.

sadmachine
6th May 2014, 13:33
Boom.

In all seriousness it was still a stupid stereotype.

"So simple even a console gamer can understand it."

This is an insult to a rather large demographic. How about " So simple even I, a simpleton, can understand it".

In all seriousness, it was a joke--and it's funnier the way I wrote it.

CyberP
6th May 2014, 14:19
A distasteful one.

sadmachine
6th May 2014, 14:36
Those are the best kind!

Shralla
6th May 2014, 16:47
I think I like this guy.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th May 2014, 21:00
The Omar in me just wants us all to get along...

3rdmillhouse
7th May 2014, 00:38
A distasteful one.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5167/5301498633_f551d4cc5c_z.jpg

:rasp:

MasterTaffer
7th May 2014, 03:49
Don't you all make me unleash the ferrets up in here...

FrankCSIS
7th May 2014, 04:45
Don't you all make me unleash the ferrets up in here...

Somehow I feel there's a ***** allegory in there somewhere.

Edit: *sigh* I always forget the male anatomy did not make it through the word filter. Talk about emasculated!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th May 2014, 09:26
Please... let's not taint the innocent minds of ferrets..... :eek: