PDA

View Full Version : TR10 - Lara's Face | Dan Roarty confirmed as Lead Character Artist

Ellie92
17th Apr 2014, 18:00
Heyy :o

I just found out that Dan Roarty is the Lead Character Artist for Tomb Raider 10 what is kinda totally amazing if you ask me!

I thought (actually Driber thought) maybe we wanna make this new thread to discuss about Lara's looks for the next game. But try to focus on her face if possible, her outfit is not that important at the moment. At least not for this thread.
Yeah.. I also don't want this to become a "old face vs. new face fan war". Just tell us what Lara should look like for the sequel and maybe why you think so.

You should definitely check out his website, I have never ever seen such photorealistic CGI people in my life. :eek:

www.danroarty.com

This is his grandma. Sort of..

:D

Battlefield > Call of Duty

Driber
17th Apr 2014, 18:07
Dan is a talented artist, that's for sure. His work is amazing.

width='300'

width='300'

I'd love to see something of that^ level in a TR game. Though to be fair, those images are pre-rendered. But I'm sure that with folks like Dan on board, CD will crank out an even more breathtaking and gorgeous Lara for the next instalment.

I think TRDE made a good impression of what can be achieved with next-gen technology. I like TRDE Lara's face for looking more like the CGI model of TR9, and for restoring a bit of Lara's true face shape, and I hope we'll see more of that goodness, and better :)

Jurre
17th Apr 2014, 18:22
I am not kidding: when looking upon those images before reading the text I really thought they were actual photos, I am dead serious...

Though I won't expect Lara to look as realistic as that in Tr10: a still image is one thing, but a game machine also has to process all the information of a moving image, but it's an exciting prospect nonetheless...

RybatGrimes
17th Apr 2014, 19:05
Oh my god, I'm so happy that he's the character artist. :D

These characters are going to be so beautiful. GOOD CHOICE CD. ;______;

Rai
17th Apr 2014, 19:38
Wasn't he talked about elsewhere? So he's been confirmed as character artist. Wouldn't they have been working on Lara for a while now? No wonder there's a Lara figure on his desk. Interesting. Does this mean Brian Horton isn't working on TR10? That would be sad :(.

I'd like to see the DE version, perhaps improved some more, maybe made a little more like the CGI model. I believe the DE version was what their aim was from the beginning, they just needed the next gen quality.

Driber
17th Apr 2014, 21:13
^ Brian is art director :)

NikNak513
17th Apr 2014, 21:22
Nice! I think the rendered blonde is very convincing (I thought it was a photo at first), the other two are dipping a little bit into the uncanny valley though. :o

Rai
17th Apr 2014, 21:23
^^Oh right, so he is. I knew that, just testing :whistle:

Yeah, not sure I'd want to see Lara that realistic.

Metalrocks
18th Apr 2014, 05:48
nice. thought that these are photos. maybe we will get a photo realistic looking lara. :p
as long they keep the same face as we know it now.

pirate1802
18th Apr 2014, 06:19
Wut. I thought those were real pictures! We are living in good times. :D I feel giddy thinking how games will look say 20 years from now.

Metalrocks
18th Apr 2014, 07:23
Wut. I thought those were real pictures! We are living in good times. :D I feel giddy thinking how games will look say 20 years from now.

still remember reading an article that a guy from nvidia thinks that by 2015, we should have photo realistic graphics in games. i think we are getting there.

Driber
18th Apr 2014, 09:50
still remember reading an article that a guy from nvidia thinks that by 2015, we should have photo realistic graphics in games. i think we are getting there.

We're not going to see photorealism in games in 2015. We're just scratching the surface of the uncanny valley right now. The 20 years that pirate mentioned sounds like a more safer estimate to me.

And I'm still sceptic if we manage to get there at all.

Metalrocks
18th Apr 2014, 14:07
We're not going to see photorealism in games in 2015. We're just scratching the surface of the uncanny valley right now. The 20 years that pirate mentioned sounds like a more safer estimate to me.

And I'm still sceptic if we manage to get there at all.

just to clarify that i read this article like 5 years ago. thats how i still remember it.
and i still think we will get there. ok, maybe not by next year, i should have made it clearer as well that i meant in future time, but i know that these graphic freaks are working hard on it to make games look like that.
just look at the source engine. some parts do look almost real.

Jurre
18th Apr 2014, 14:28
I don't think we should get to that level of graphics: all it does is make the production of games more expensive which means they can take less risks and will produce less and less original products and instead stick with Call of Grand Theft Fantasy...

For that same reason I was not so fond of those new consoles: I never asked for one, my current game machine does a great job now...

Ellie92
18th Apr 2014, 14:34
hey can take less risks and will produce less and less original products and instead stick with Call of Grand Theft Fantasy...

Less original?? Dude, have you ever played a GTA game?

Jurre
18th Apr 2014, 14:39
Details... details...

Driber
18th Apr 2014, 15:02
@Metal: Well keep in mind that a CGI model (the graphical side) is one thing. It's quite another thing to have that model running around in a photo realistic environment, and actually pull off 100% realistic animations, AND have everything rendered in real time on a consumer machine.

If you look back to older discussions on the web, you'll see that people will often say "we're just 5-10 years away". And here we are; 5-10 years (and more) later and we still don't have it.

My money is sitting on the side that even 20 years from now isn't going to be enough.

Ellie92
18th Apr 2014, 15:15
just look at the source engine. some parts do look almost real.
Source Engine? I think the CryEngine is way better than Source if not the best of all.

But I mean, it's obvious TR10 Lara won't look that realistic. I just hope she will get a more realistic design. Like the shape of her face or better textures. But the rendering will never be as good.

Metalrocks
18th Apr 2014, 15:42
@Metal: Well keep in mind that a CGI model (the graphical side) is one thing. It's quite another thing to have that model running around in a photo realistic environment, and actually pull off 100% realistic animations, AND have everything rendered in real time on a consumer machine.

If you look back to older discussions on the web, you'll see that people will often say "we're just 5-10 years away". And here we are; 5-10 years (and more) later and we still don't have it.

My money is sitting on the side that even 20 years from now isn't going to be enough.

im aware that CGI can nearly achieve realistic effects. but good that you mention it. i was only focusing on ingame graphics only.
one day it will happen. even when it takes 20 years or 40 years.
by then, things will have improved technology wise and machines will be capable to run it.

Source Engine? I think the CryEngine is way better than Source if not the best of all.

But I mean, it's obvious TR10 Lara won't look that realistic.

yes, cryengine is nice. especially today.
the source engine is of course old now but still a nice looking engine. playing titanfall, that is based on the engine, still looks amazing on highest settings. to me at least.

also a very nice looking engine is the unreal engine.

obviously valve is working on the source 2 engine, and when these pics are real, i think we will be stunned, and hopefully it will be for half life 3.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131719-Leaked-Source-Engine-2-Screenshot-Hints-At-Left-4-Dead-3

Ellie92
18th Apr 2014, 15:46
yes, cryengine is nice. especially today.
the source engine is of course old now but still a nice looking engine. playing titanfall, that is based on the engine, still looks amazing on highest settings. to me at least.

also a very nice looking engine is the unreal engine.

obviously valve is working on the source 2 engine, and when these pics are real, i think we will be stunned, and hopefully it will be for half life 3.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131719-Leaked-Source-Engine-2-Screenshot-Hints-At-Left-4-Dead-3

"nice"?? The CryEngine?

This was like two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvgETOo5ek

Or this. (2:10 !!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9AoP5kVLdI

Source is by far not as good if you ask me.

Metalrocks
18th Apr 2014, 16:38
like i said, the source engine is old now but in my view still a nice looking one.
of course it cant compete with the unreal engine or other engines these days. i never said otherwise that the source engine its better then the cryengine. sure, the cryengine also looks amazing if "nice" is not the word you like to hear.

Driber
19th Apr 2014, 08:42
im aware that CGI can nearly achieve realistic effects. but good that you mention it. i was only focusing on ingame graphics only.
one day it will happen. even when it takes 20 years or 40 years.
by then, things will have improved technology wise and machines will be capable to run it. ]

I have my doubts. Another thing that will stand in the way of making truly realistic games - AI. You can throw all the GPU power into a game you want, but if the AI isn't believable, the brain will remain unfooled.

Metalrocks
19th Apr 2014, 12:50
I have my doubts. Another thing that will stand in the way of making truly realistic games - AI. You can throw all the GPU power into a game you want, but if the AI isn't believable, the brain will remain unfooled.

thats again a totally different thing but you do have a point. time will tell how things will progress.
to me, as long the game is fun to play, im happy. so far FEAR had a very good AI. at least from the games i have played, in case some tom clancy title has even a better AI then FEAR.

Driber
19th Apr 2014, 13:31
thats again a totally different thing

But with games it's the total package that counts; graphics + animation + AI. And maybe I'm even missing something else.

Without AI, you may be able to make a photo realistic film.

Without animation, you may be able to make a photo realistic photo.

For games (well, a lot of them anyway) you need at least those 3 components to all be "perfect" if the player is to believe the experience is real and that the game has moved completely beyond the uncanny valley.

time will tell how things will progress.
to me, as long the game is fun to play, im happy. so far FEAR had a very good AI. at least from the games i have played, in case some tom clancy title has even a better AI then FEAR.

Haven't played those games, but if you're talking about things like where the NPCs should move to, etc, then that's pretty basic stuff, and nothing like the AI I am talking about.

The latest GTA game does a nice job of mimicking basic human interaction/reaction. For example, when the player stands in front of a NPC and he faces him for too long, said NPC would start to get aggressive. You know, the classic "what are YOU staring at, fool?" tough guy line :D That was a nice AI detail to see. Though again, that merely scratches the surface of what would be required to sell a photo realistic game :whistle:

Metalrocks
19th Apr 2014, 14:07
But with games it's the total package that counts; graphics + animation + AI. And maybe I'm even missing something else.

Without AI, you may be able to make a photo realistic film.

Without animation, you may be able to make a photo realistic photo.

For games (well, a lot of them anyway) you need at least those 3 components to all be "perfect" if the player is to believe the experience is real and that the game has moved completely beyond the uncanny valley.

Haven't played those games, but if you're talking about things like where the NPCs should move to, etc, then that's pretty basic stuff, and nothing like the AI I am talking about.

The latest GTA game does a nice job of mimicking basic human interaction/reaction. For example, when the player stands in front of a NPC and he faces him for too long, said NPC would start to get aggressive. You know, the classic "what are YOU staring at, fool?" tough guy line :D That was a nice AI detail to see. Though again, that merely scratches the surface of what would be required to sell a photo realistic game :whistle:

lol, of course its important to have the whole lot. im just talking about graphics only. in the end i want of course the other things to have improved as well.

even now we have games were the NPC have no AI.
FEAR does actually have a good AI. they go immediately behind cover, trying to flank you and are aware of your position and movement and also throw eventually grenades to force you out of cover.
sure, there are some who run blindly in to your fire but they do offer a challenging fight never the less.

still remember how one guy was always shooting at me, even when i was behind cover, until i got knocked out from behind. yes, knocked out, not shot in the back.
it was clear that this one guy was just providing cover fire for his buddy to sneak behind me.

dont know about GTA 5 since its not out for pc and i actually haven given up playing it since SA. this moment you have mentioned does sound like a nice touch.

BridgetFisher
20th Apr 2014, 11:15
I really like how I can feel emotion or character from the models that they have a personality from the style of their look. There is so much expression showing through them that its incredible to see that level of talent.

Im officially excited for the next TR!!! XDDD