PDA

View Full Version : How many play styles?

ianpwilliams
2nd Apr 2014, 15:43
I played this game once years ago, as a good guy and doing pure stealth, and I loved it (I was always going to, as I loved all the Deus Ex games). Now I'm looking to play it again, hopefully a few times, and this time including The Missing Link DLC.

This website seems to think that there are four ways to play - stealth, combat, social, and hacking:

http://whatculture.com/gaming/deus-ex-human-revolution-which-way-to-play.php

I'm interested in playing a combat play through, being nasty to everyone, and generally shooting people (probably still just bad guys mainly, and anyone else who annoys me) just for the fun of it. And from reading online it sounds like you can have fun playing a combat play through, correct?

As for hacking, I don't really see that as a play through style, more a vital part of all of the other play styles. I don't know what other people's thoughts are on that.

When it comes to social (aka, "James Bond"), is that really possible to do? Because I reckon I could have some fun with that, talking myself into and out of all kinds of situations, and generally manipulating people.

And then I was going to play another good guy stealth play through, just because it's been so long, and because I now have the DLC too. And I know that stealth is great fun in this game.

So I'm thinking a combat play through as a nasty Adam, and then a social playthrough as a James Bond style character (i.e. the lovable rogue), and then a good old good guy stealth playthrough for old times sake.

Opinions?

Shralla
2nd Apr 2014, 19:09
The crap about four play styles was just a bunch of marketing talk. You either go in with force or you do it stealthy. Hacking and social options only augment those two options.

ianpwilliams
3rd Apr 2014, 16:39
Fair enough. But it sounds like you can do a combat character build and have fun with it? It certainly seems like there are augs that are geared that way (punching through walls sounds fun).

WildcatPhoenix
3rd Apr 2014, 23:04
The combat is, in my opinion, the greatest strength of DXHR (excluding my personal distaste for third person cover), and it is certainly possible to do a "run-and-gun" type of character in the game. It's possible to do this in DX1 as well, but the difficulty curve in the beginning is much steeper.

Augmentations like double takedowns, Icarus landing, and the Typhoon are very useful for combat playthroughs, and it's fun for quite a while. I personally just prefer stealth.

Karpaw
5th Apr 2014, 09:57
Yeah and the weapons are a big reason why. EM did great making each of them feel balanced and serving a distinctive function. It's a shame some of them show up way too late in the game.

I'm using the Machine Pistol, which is regarded as the poor man's Combat Rifle, in my current run but if you stick a couple of damage mods on it and a laser sight to help with accuracy, it chews through regular enemies like paper. Feels great.

ianpwilliams
6th Apr 2014, 14:26
I still can't decide between stealth combat and face to face combat. I would normally go stealth combat, because it's nice to kill people before they even know you are there. But I've done stealth before, so I'm thinking face to face, maybe coupled with hacking turrets to make them take their own people out etc.

One thing I wondered - bearing in mind that I'm going down the combat route this time (and being a d*ck to everyone just for the fun of it), can anyone recommend augs that will help me to save Malik? I failed to do it on my first playthrough, even after several attempts, and it really annoyed me. I've looked online and I've seen the video where someone basically ran up to everyone and stunned them one by one, and I'm guessing he was going for non-lethal, but I don't care about non-lethal this time around, and I'm looking for the easiest method of saving her, just so I can say I did it, and the the cheaper the shortcut and the more lethality the better.

CyberP
6th Apr 2014, 15:25
But I've done stealth before, so I'm thinking face to face, maybe coupled with hacking turrets to make them take their own people out etc.

Do it. Most enjoyable playstyle imo.

One thing I wondered - bearing in mind that I'm going down the combat route this time (and being a d*ck to everyone just for the fun of it), can anyone recommend augs that will help me to save Malik? I failed to do it on my first playthrough, even after several attempts, and it really annoyed me. I've looked online and I've seen the video where someone basically ran up to everyone and stunned them one by one, and I'm guessing he was going for non-lethal, but I don't care about non-lethal this time around, and I'm looking for the easiest method of saving her, just so I can say I did it, and the the cheaper the shortcut and the more lethality the better.

A combination of explosive revolver, cloak, takedowns and sniper spam point blank range is the easiest approach (unless you don't mind the in-game cheat AKA typhoon).
Cloak is still useful for combat btw. Useful to assist in regenerating your health, and I think it may make enemies less accurate (untested, no definitive claim but I am pretty sure).

ianpwilliams
8th Apr 2014, 17:14
Interesting, might give cloak a try. Certainly would help with lethal takedowns.

hybridex
13th Apr 2014, 15:55
The third way to play is combining stealth and combat. I'm more of a stealth guy.. just stalking those preys while unseen. Even after they are taken out, to move their bodies so when their buddies come to check things out, they cannot find their dead buddies. Although, from time to time, I enjoy those headshots..

dysamoria
15th Apr 2014, 04:31
This was the first game i ever played that allowed me to take a moral position on killing. i loved it for that. It has lots of flaws, though, such as lethal non-lethal weapons and killing people by moving their bodies, and lethal boss fights... etc. This "taste" of how a game could potentially allow a player these CHOICES has spoiled me forever.

i played Batman Arkham Asylum and i know there are other stealth and non-lethal takedown games, but in that case, Batman kinda causes a lot of death and destruction BECAUSE he refuses to kill anyone (how many people has the Joker killed after escaping Batman and imprisonment over and over??). It's not a CHOICE in that game.

Are there other games like this that let you CHOOSE these play styles? i prefer scifi games, so fantasy games aren't going to get my interest even if they have this mechanic.

It clearly requires a lot more development time, but i have this fantasy that some companies care to create quality experiences, can and will occasionally put everything into a game, rather than connecting the dots and coloring by number, pushing product out the door incomplete (and most computer industry stuff is exactly that), since gaming has matured so much that you can pretty much buy B-movie games now, made with throwaway investments for quick turnaround profit (hello mobile gaming)... With the money these companies make...

My fantasy is that DE:HR could be properly finished. Change the boss fights to allow non-lethal solutions, expand the storytelling and world with more content (it seemed huge to me half way through it, but when i got to the end monolog, i really wanted a lot more shown, not told), fix missing graphical issues like reflections and the utter lack of shadow casting, etc... but i know the reality is that they consider the product EOL and their priority is to move on to the next money maker. Sigh. i am an artist at heart, and totally idealistic.

CyberP
15th Apr 2014, 10:03
This was the first game i ever played that allowed me to take a moral position on killing. i loved it for that. It has lots of flaws, though, such as lethal non-lethal weapons and killing people by moving their bodies, and lethal boss fights... etc. This "taste" of how a game could potentially allow a player these CHOICES has spoiled me forever.

i played Batman Arkham Asylum and i know there are other stealth and non-lethal takedown games, but in that case, Batman kinda causes a lot of death and destruction BECAUSE he refuses to kill anyone (how many people has the Joker killed after escaping Batman and imprisonment over and over??). It's not a CHOICE in that game.

Are there other games like this that let you CHOOSE these play styles? i prefer scifi games, so fantasy games aren't going to get my interest even if they have this mechanic.

It clearly requires a lot more development time, but i have this fantasy that some companies care to create quality experiences, can and will occasionally put everything into a game, rather than connecting the dots and coloring by number, pushing product out the door incomplete (and most computer industry stuff is exactly that), since gaming has matured so much that you can pretty much buy B-movie games now, made with throwaway investments for quick turnaround profit (hello mobile gaming)... With the money these companies make...

My fantasy is that DE:HR could be properly finished. Change the boss fights to allow non-lethal solutions, expand the storytelling and world with more content (it seemed huge to me half way through it, but when i got to the end monolog, i really wanted a lot more shown, not told), fix missing graphical issues like reflections and the utter lack of shadow casting, etc... but i know the reality is that they consider the product EOL and their priority is to move on to the next money maker. Sigh. i am an artist at heart, and totally idealistic.

The original Deus Ex, of course. It was the first game to offer this choice, and still the best, if you can stand the graphics (get graphics mods).

but i have this fantasy that some companies care to create quality experiences, can and will occasionally put everything into a game

Indeed there are. But these guys are restricted by industry expectations, money and tech. A game's development cycle is never more than 4 years. Imagine if it were 8? 10? Imagine if money was never an issue. Last point: tech. 10 years development time and they will be left behind by the always evolving tech and software, but a "real" gamer would not care about this. I'd be all over the game with the right team behind it because design > tech.

hybridex
16th Apr 2014, 00:08
Yes I agreed. That's a good concept, to be able to choose between lethal and non-lethal in the boss fights.. much like with O'Malley where you can choose to kill him, knock him out or let him go and be rewarded somehow. Every time I go back through the game and although I enjoy stealth play more than anything, there is yet certain people in there that I just have to kill, such as the gang bangers in Detroit and those Harvesters in Hengsha. It's kinda like instinct.. I just have to stealth kill all of them. Yes, I'm evil that way..

Gumpo10k
20th Apr 2014, 14:35

Besides the other DX games, Alpha Protocol was really good in the regard of choice overall, but i can't remember if there was really much of a moral dilemma to lethal vs nonlethal most of the time. Very similar themes to DX only in a modern setting, not near future. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was also good in the same way - depending on the clan you play as, you have some really interesting options in dealing with situations - including arguing with a stop sign.

Karpaw
20th Apr 2014, 21:48
Alpha Protocol doesn't deal with the morality of killing per se but its unparallelled degree of plot reactivity allows the story to branch significantly depending on if you kill key characters or not.

Bioshock presents the harvesting of Little Sisters as its signature Moral Choice but it's pretty gimmicky and doesn't amount to much IMO.

Also, Dishonored. Technically Fantasy but the gaslamp kind, not the epic kind. The lethality of your playstyle ties into the Chaos mechanic, which fundamentally affects how the setting develops and story plays out.