PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 4 in India?

IDAFT
29th Mar 2014, 00:25
I can remember reading an article saying India was cut from the final build of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Do you think DE4 will have India as a playable City/Hub? That would be right up my alley :).

WildcatPhoenix
29th Mar 2014, 02:02
I suppose that would depend on what time period the "Indian Crisis" mentioned in DX1 occurred (see below):

Vishnu's Fall

A Brief History of the Indian Crisis

... after the bombing, Indian officials issued a series of stern warnings to Pakistan that were rebuffed with denials of responsibility and dire threats that any attempt to use the bombings as a pretext for military action would be met with force in kind. From the viewpoint of the present-day historiographer this was a crucial event, a game of brinksmanship that had been played between Pakistan and India many, many times before and so, while tragic, it is also easily understood how clear signs of the impending catastrophe might have been ignored.

"Like two kids shoving each other on the playground," said historian Alistair Brooks. "You never expect them to come to blows."

That was before Pakistan began the trials of the "Calcutta 16" and both nations descended into a maelstrom of political upheaval that would eventually culminate in the exchange of nuclear warheads...

Of course, a nuclear-devastated landscape (or maybe refugee zone) might make for an interesting setting for a mission.

JCpies
29th Mar 2014, 14:31
I'm down.

Also we need to visit London in DX sometime. I've never seen a good visual representation of cyberpunk London.

Darthassin
29th Mar 2014, 16:58
I'm down.

Also we need to visit London in DX sometime. I've never seen a good visual representation of cyberpunk London.

You might be on to something here. JJB spends alot time in London lately.

FrankCSIS
29th Mar 2014, 18:24
Sign me up for a London - India combo. Actual India, though, not fantasy/mystical/turn-of-the-century cliché India.

Yelorova
29th Mar 2014, 20:39
For me this universe doesn't fit in exotic locations
A european city would be the perfect place IMO.

WildcatPhoenix
29th Mar 2014, 20:45
London would be great, and I'm honestly shocked it hasn't shown up yet in any of the three major DX releases.

As for "exotic locations," I think it would be interesting to see the Afro-Asian culture described in DX1. China's been building closer ties to Africa for a couple decades now, and it'd be interesting to see Africa depicted as something other than a poor, desolate war zone for once.

If Eidos ever gives us mod tools, the mod I'm currently writing will definitely include somewhere like Nigeria as a locale.

IDAFT
29th Mar 2014, 22:44
London would be ace, seeing the way it is now, with a Cyberpunk theme, would be immense. With India, it would be interesting to see what they can do, they obviously had plans for it before they cut it out.

In general, it would be good to see some globetrotting.

Shralla
30th Mar 2014, 04:36
For me this universe doesn't fit in exotic locations

Who decides what locations are "exotic"? Surely to a person living in India, New York or Hong Kong might seem exotic, no?

Yelorova
30th Mar 2014, 11:53
Who decides what locations are "exotic"? Surely to a person living in India, New York or Hong Kong might seem exotic, no?

I'm saying exotic as a place unrelated to the reality of a common person living in a modern developed city.

FrankCSIS
30th Mar 2014, 14:47
I was more leaning towards Mumbai, not "Roger Moore goes to India". The only exotic part of this trip would be India's cultural reaction to extreme technological changes. Considering this country is in perpetual evolution and change, for better and for worse, more so than China, the themes would fit wonderfully.

I must admit, though, I'm a little rusty on DX canon, so I'm not sure how it would fit into the story without betraying it.

Shralla
30th Mar 2014, 18:52
I'm saying exotic as a place unrelated to the reality of a common person living in a modern developed city.

Not to start crap, but that's pretty ignorant. A full seventh of the world population live in India, and more people live in Mumbai than in New York City, Paris, or any Deus Ex location that has been used so far except for Shanghai. That area of the world is experiencing more explosive economic and commercial development than any other, and it's predicted to have a substantial impact on the world market and effectively catch up to "modern development" in the Western world in the next fifteen years.

India would be a perfect location for a Deus Ex game.

JCpies
30th Mar 2014, 20:38
You might be on to something here. JJB spends alot time in London lately.

I should meet him sometime, I know other UK members have gotten to meet him before.

London would be great, and I'm honestly shocked it hasn't shown up yet in any of the three major DX releases.

As for "exotic locations," I think it would be interesting to see the Afro-Asian culture described in DX1. China's been building closer ties to Africa for a couple decades now, and it'd be interesting to see Africa depicted as something other than a poor, desolate war zone for once.

If Eidos ever gives us mod tools, the mod I'm currently writing will definitely include somewhere like Nigeria as a locale.

This is also a very good idea.

They had Cairo in Invisible War, but I don't think they did very well with it. Personally I'd like to see something a locale sub Saharan.

Yelorova
30th Mar 2014, 21:05
Not to start crap, but that's pretty ignorant. A full seventh of the world population live in India, and more people live in Mumbai than in New York City, Paris, or any Deus Ex location that has been used so far except for Shanghai. That area of the world is experiencing more explosive economic and commercial development than any other, and it's predicted to have a substantial impact on the world market and effectively catch up to "modern development" in the Western world in the next fifteen years.

India would be a perfect location for a Deus Ex game.

So you don't want to start crap but you say I'm ignorant... I'm not gonna waste my time explaining to you what is an opinion, sorry:rolleyes:

Probably I expressed myself badly, but I was refering to ocidental culture.
For example I love the egyptian and arabic culture, I'm still waiting for an Assassin´s Creed in these timelines but when I think a Deus Ex in this cultures it just doesn't fit and that's my personal preference.

CyberP
30th Mar 2014, 21:09
For example I love the egyptian and arabic culture, I'm still waiting for an Assassin´s Creed in these timelines but when I think a Deus Ex in this cultures it just doesn't fit and that's my personal preference.

What about Prince of Persia? Not Arabic but Persian, but similar interesting culture and architecture, and better gameplay than Ass. Creed.

Yelorova
30th Mar 2014, 21:17
What about Prince of Persia? Not Arabic but Persian, but similar interesting culture and architecture, and better gameplay than Ass. Creed.

Yes I like PoP, but Ubisoft recently said that the probabilities to see a new a game of the franchise in the near future are very low, so my hopes goes do AC:D

OneUp77
2nd Apr 2014, 23:00
I think it would be nice to visit India in the next Deus Ex, I liked the Cairo level from IW.

Maybe the player could have a role in trying to prevent a nuclear exchange between the two countries.

Imagine a nuclear blast in next-gen.

Hicks
4th Apr 2014, 14:34
A couple of places that I'd be fascinated to see presented DX style:

Moscow - built to impress, built to withstand, plus snow!
Rome - take stunning classical European architecture, a Mediterranean basking glow and give it a twist, would those twisting streets be so beautiful with a tech infused style?
Dubai - some amazing sense of scale already, a DX theme could could really amp that up even more
Delhi - could be fascinating to see an area that we rarely see brought to life with a DX twist
Edinburgh - combining castles with tech, watching the two awkwardly clash to the sound of Scottish accents
Seoul - *drools*

Just please... no more New York/Washington D.C./Los Angeles

WildcatPhoenix
4th Apr 2014, 16:14
Moscow - built to impress, built to withstand, plus snow!

Oh definitely. Moscow would be a great mix of beautiful architecture, advanced technology (yes, Americans, they have high-tech stuff in Russia too, especially in the capital), cold environment, and a sense of foreboding/paranoia.

Rome - take stunning classical European architecture, a Mediterranean basking glow and give it a twist, would those twisting streets be so beautiful with a tech infused style?

Yep. Deus needs a good blend of new world and old world to really fit the conspiracy theme.

Dubai - some amazing sense of scale already, a DX theme could could really amp that up even more
Delhi - could be fascinating to see an area that we rarely see brought to life with a DX twist

I really do think India would make a good setting (as discussed above), even if it were a post-nuclear fallout. India is poised to make a technological/development leap in coming decades if all goes well, but a major refugee crisis would threaten it. Lots of potential conflict there which would make for a very interesting setting, not to mention the architectural and cultural appeal.

Edinburgh - combining castles with tech, watching the two awkwardly clash to the sound of Scottish accents

Similar to Rome or Paris, could work if integrated into the story well enough (although I can't lie, Scottish accents always make me giggle).

Seoul - *drools*

Gotta have the requisite Asian metropolis. Hong Kong and Shanghai have been done, of course, but Seoul, Tokyo (not counting the RedSun2020 mod), Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Taiwan, Beijing, or Bangkok would all be awesome settings for a hub mission.

Just please... no more New York/Washington D.C./Los Angeles

NYC is pretty played out, for sure, but DC? I'd love to see what's going on in the US capital in the DX world. As for Los Angeles, I think it's underwater as of 2030-something.

Shralla
4th Apr 2014, 18:41
So you don't want to start crap but you say I'm ignorant...

Well... yes. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you. You said an ignorant thing.

I'm not gonna waste my time explaining to you what is an opinion, sorry:rolleyes:

It wasn't really an opinion, you said it was exotic in comparison to the "common person" living in a "developed city." But the fact is that there are more people living in this area you're saying isn't home to the "common person." Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the majority of the population lives in a location, that makes them the "common people" doesn't it?

Probably I expressed myself badly, but I was refering to ocidental culture.

Well that's a better explanation, but still doesn't explain why you think this way when China was a major locale in both Deus Ex and Human Revolution.

These countries aren't stuck in the 1800s. Egyptian and arabic "culture" isn't that relevant to the contents of a Deus Ex game, especially not upwards of forty years in the future. Those cultures become less different than Western cultures every day because of the mass media monoculture the entire world is building for itself, which has always been part of the Deus Ex world, showing you the future of that monoculture. We're not adventuring in the wilderness of these locations, we're operating inside the most major cities they have to offer, which really aren't that different from the major cities in any other part of the world.

You mention Egypt and a preference for non-eastern locales to be represented, but the fact is that BOTH of these things have been featured prominently in Deus Ex games. They are very much a core part of what makes a Deus Ex game, so it makes no sense that you would claim something as relevant as India has no place in one.

Really it just seems like you spoke up without actually thinking about what you were saying, without considering that "occidental" locales have been a major part of every Deus Ex game, including Egypt, something you specifically said doesn't fit with a Deus Ex game.

So no, I'm not starting crap. I'm completely allowed to tell you why what you said is off-base.

Yelorova
6th Apr 2014, 20:21
It wasn't really an opinion, you said it was exotic in comparison to the "common person" living in a "developed city." But the fact is that there are more people living in this area you're saying isn't home to the "common person." Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the majority of the population lives in a location, that makes them the "common people" doesn't it?

Well my interpretation of the word "common" is, in this case, someone that belongs to the majority group that describes some place and not so much as a quantity measure of the population in all the world.
As a portuguese living in Portugal I consider myself a common person in Portugal, but if I travel to India can't consider myself common in there, as well as some indian person in the same situation.
But yes my words weren't the best, exotic is a very particular word, I wanted to refer to some culture different from the one I live in, the ocidental culture.

Well that's a better explanation, but still doesn't explain why you think this way when China was a major locale in both Deus Ex and Human Revolution.

I don't see China as perfect example of exotic as well as Singapore or Japan. Although India I can consider exotic and that's ambiguity from person to person.
And just because China appeared in the games doesn't mean it would match my preferences of a perfect place to a Deus Ex game.

We're not adventuring in the wilderness of these locations, we're operating inside the most major cities they have to offer, which really aren't that different from the major cities in any other part of the world.

That way can't see a reason to debate certain location once India or other country would be the same, the only difference would be the geographical location.

You mention Egypt and a preference for non-eastern locales to be represented, but the fact is that BOTH of these things have been featured prominently in Deus Ex games. They are very much a core part of what makes a Deus Ex game, so it makes no sense that you would claim something as relevant as India has no place in one.

Absolutely disagree, those locations of course are important but for me the very core part of the games always were american cities/places.
And when I was refering to India I was assuming that location would be as much important as New York and Area 51 were in DX or as Detroit was in HR., if India would appear in the game as Hong Kong appeared in DX that wouldn't bother me at all.
I'm not demanding only western cities in the future game, other non-western places is actually very important to give some variety of environments.
Probably my lack of contact with indian culture makes me doubt of a Deus Ex game in there, but yeah maybe it would be interesting after playing the game.
And Egypt is not an ocidental country, not even close.

hybridex
8th Apr 2014, 05:12

I agree. Would be good to see a bit of London..

Tverdyj
11th Apr 2014, 18:01
We've been told early on in DX that Lagos is the most advanced city in Africa, and also the only haven from the Illuminati. Want.

zwanzig_zwoelf
11th Apr 2014, 20:09
bro i dont want deus ex in india id like deus ex in sweden, germany and norway or probably japan with anime kawaii uguu faces and romances

CyberP
11th Apr 2014, 22:57
I second Japan.

hybridex
13th Apr 2014, 15:51
Fine.. but Jensen better get a Katana added to his arsenal. I'm really not a fan of the blade thing that comes out from his arms.