PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Human Revolution short movie by Moe Charif

zocom7
25th Mar 2014, 19:40
The moment you've been waiting for is here after over a year of editing and filming. Some people never asked for this, but some people did. Presented by Machinima, here is the fan-made action short movie produced and directed by Moe Charif: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2Rx8YlSWY

Enjoy.

Shralla
25th Mar 2014, 22:29
Oh wow, that's seriously short.

Bet it's still better than the crap CBS is going to shovel out.

CyberP
25th Mar 2014, 23:04
Bravo! A film doing what it does best. Shame the game didn't do what it can do best, which is a whole lot more than a film can (it's still a good game though).

Very good. My only complaint is the overuse of slow motion in the action scenes and a bit too much shakey cam, though it wasn't too bad in regards to the latter complaint, yet still a "true" action scene keeps cams steady for the majority of the action, in my opinion. Is why I love certain Asian action films.
Using the slow-mo to show off the augs in motion makes perfect sense for this film, but the rest didn't have to be slowed down. Still, very nice! I sure hope all that money and time put into it was worth the 12 minute result :p I enjoyed it anyway, for what it was, which is saying something ;)

ED-209 speak at the end was a little confusing though, but that's not really a complaint.

I am interested in knowing the budget.

Let me tell you though, a Deus Ex game needs to be made, with the brilliance the original had, the innovation, the genius design, the massive raising of the bar. Human Revolution didn't do this, not even close, but again, still a great game with a lot to love about it. Movies? Phone games? Comics? None of these can hope of achieving anything close to what a modern AAA game can, with the right minds behind it. A modern Deus Ex game done right could truly be something else, but nobody cares to achieve this goal, instead we see the fall of the Deus Ex franchise, and I don't mean it being driven into the ground, I mean it being milked, raped, bastardized in the name of money. AAA games have so much potential. But it's potential that is always wasted, these days anyway.

WildcatPhoenix
26th Mar 2014, 15:01
Some thoughts:

1. Simply an outstanding job of capturing the aesthetic of Human Revolution.
2. I almost lost it when Adam dropped the "I never asked for this" line. Bravo.
3. I really hate seeing Bob Page reduced to just another clich├ęd action movie villain, holding a gun to the girl's head and everything. Just really overdone.
4. Most of the hand-to-hand combat moves have been replicated time and time and time again in countless movies/games/etc. I'd hate to see a big budget film adaptation of Deus Ex turn into nothing more than a stream of CGI-aided slow-motion wire fu scenes.

Still really, really well done. Adam's introduction in this short really got the juices flowing, in particular.

Spyhopping
27th Mar 2014, 10:19
Excellent! It was beautifully polished and professional. The guy who played Adam looked great, all the other actors looked the part.

Just one criticism to mention, that it was a rather tiresome theme- damsel in distress, punchy knifey ass kicking. We've seen it all before. Doesn't mean it wasn't very cool and fun though.

IDAFT
29th Mar 2014, 22:48
damsel in distress

It was a bit melodramatic. I wonder if there's gonna be a continuation though?

Shaikh
2nd Apr 2014, 15:54
The best fan made video game film I would say. Great job.

OneUp77
2nd Apr 2014, 22:48
Very awesome

Damn the way Yelena broke Adam's blade.

Hopefully this becomes popular enough to warrant a sequel.

FrankCSIS
2nd Apr 2014, 23:38
Aesthetically beautiful, and instantly recognizable.

The style, the technique, the angles and all that jazz, though, are a little wasted on a film format, even if it's a short. With a style like this, it's videoclips you want to be doing. It's unsustainable for a 2 hour format, and even pushing it at 12 minutes.

Grade-A job, either way.

hybridex
17th Apr 2014, 00:44
Bravo! A film doing what it does best. Shame the game didn't do what it can do best, which is a whole lot more than a film can (it's still a good game though).

Very good. My only complaint is the overuse of slow motion in the action scenes and a bit too much shakey cam, though it wasn't too bad in regards to the latter complaint, yet still a "true" action scene keeps cams steady for the majority of the action, in my opinion. Is why I love certain Asian action films.
Using the slow-mo to show off the augs in motion makes perfect sense for this film, but the rest didn't have to be slowed down. Still, very nice! I sure hope all that money and time put into it was worth the 12 minute result :p I enjoyed it anyway, for what it was, which is saying something ;)

ED-209 speak at the end was a little confusing though, but that's not really a complaint.

I am interested in knowing the budget.

Let me tell you though, a Deus Ex game needs to be made, with the brilliance the original had, the innovation, the genius design, the massive raising of the bar. Human Revolution didn't do this, not even close, but again, still a great game with a lot to love about it. Movies? Phone games? Comics? None of these can hope of achieving anything close to what a modern AAA game can, with the right minds behind it. A modern Deus Ex game done right could truly be something else, but nobody cares to achieve this goal, instead we see the fall of the Deus Ex franchise, and I don't mean it being driven into the ground, I mean it being milked, raped, bastardized in the name of money. AAA games have so much potential. But it's potential that is always wasted, these days anyway.

I have a slightly different view. To me, DXHR did raised the bar. I am more of a DXHR fan over the original, although the original also kicked ass. I enjoyed the original; it was what had gotten me hooked on the DX franchise, but for me, I was not as involved in being absorbed with the characters, especially Jensen (and yes, I am a big fan of Malik as well), the environment (sights and sounds), and the storyline/plots in the original as I am in DXHR. For the original, I was merely playing to play the game as pretty much for any other games I have played, just to finish the game and to get to the end, and it kicked ass that way, but for DXHR, I was playing as if I was Adam Jensen, interacting and making the decision as how it would affect me. It has been a new twist on my game playing style. Overall for me, it sucked that I had reached the end of the game.. and now anxiously waiting for DX4. Also so far, everyone I have lend the DXHR game to, have loved it and raved about it..

hybridex
17th Apr 2014, 00:52
As for the short film.. I enjoyed it, although seeing Megan getting blasted is a twist I didn't expect. Jensen in that short film needs to be a bit more cut up, though. Jensen in the game is pretty ripped.. much like those guys after being roided up for the movie, 300 (not that I advocate it). Fight scene was good and the voices of Jensen, Megan and even Pritchard were almost right on. The new twist on the typhoon, well, I am still neutral on that. I still favor the game version of the typhoon. Overall, it is not bad at all. Kudos for them to have put it together for a taste of what the actual movie could be like. I also like the reference to Robocop. That was good..

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Apr 2014, 18:28
Fabulous in every way. :cool:

I remember viewing the original (shorter version?) a while back. At least I can remember the beginning... but not the end. Either way, very enjoyable and I would score 5/5. :thumb: