PDA

View Full Version : Irritating and unnecessary sound effects

Itsrob
10th Mar 2014, 23:50
Whenever you were in the sight of an enemy (in Absolution) you'd hear a constant "shhhhhhhhh....", and if you were spotted or the guards were alerted you'd hear "BONG...Sshhhhhh" and your screen would have a quick blur effect. This sort of ruins the realistic and immersive experience of the previous titles, especially if you're in a quiet environment and really immersed in the game.

I feel like this was an unnecessary (and annoying) replacement of the suspicion meter. Also, the simple "body found", "cover blown" notifications are more than enough to let you know the guards found something or are suspicious. At the very least it should be turned off in the settings, and let us decide if we want it or not.

AdrianShephard
11th Mar 2014, 03:02
Whenever you were in the sight of an enemy (in Absolution) you'd hear a constant "shhhhhhhhh....", and if you were spotted or the guards were alerted you'd hear "BONG...Sshhhhhh" and your screen would have a quick blur effect. This sort of ruins the realistic and immersive experience of the previous titles, especially if you're in a quiet environment and really immersed in the game.

I feel like this was an unnecessary (and annoying) replacement of the suspicion meter. Also, the simple "body found", "cover blown" notifications are more than enough to let you know the guards found something or are suspicious. At the very least it should be turned off in the settings, and let us decide if we want it or not.

Yeah the annoying "shh" sound really took away the immersive aspect and reminded me that I should be playing in the shadows.

I really miss the old Hitman (1/2) notifications with the warning sound. That was enough to tell you that you screwed up. The big letters in the middle of the screen telling you that the guards are searching, etc. always annoyed me. A clearer HUD is best.

AGENT 58
23rd Apr 2014, 09:50
I agree with you.
I also didn‘t like sound when you pick up some object or when you pull it out.

Itsrob
30th Apr 2014, 03:17
Also, the annoying barcode\sounds that come up when you kill a target is excessive.

One thing that reminds me why I liked the old games in this regard is the "A Vintage Year" level in BM. Don Delgado is sitting there on a quiet and peaceful day and all you hear is his cello, you quietly fiber wire him and the music stops, dead silence. No cheesy sound effects\etc. It felt realistic and immersive.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Sp5mIrD3Cu4/0.jpg

AdrianShephard
30th Apr 2014, 03:40
Also, the annoying barcode\sounds that come up when you kill a target is excessive.

One thing that reminds me why I liked the old games in this regard is the "A Vintage Year" level in BM. Don Delgado is sitting there on a quiet and peaceful day and all you hear is his cello, you quietly fiber wire him and the music stops, dead silence. No cheesy sound effects\etc. It felt realistic and immersive.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Sp5mIrD3Cu4/0.jpg

Good point.

Personally, I liked the stylization after you kill a target. Maybe not the sound, but definitely the look. Sometimes performing a hit is so anti-climatic because the game reminds you that the target is just another enemy with a different skin. If IO could give us different death animations or something to distinguish a target from a goon, I would be happy.

Minor complaint though.

gkkiller
30th Apr 2014, 09:45
Good point.

Personally, I liked the stylization after you kill a target. Maybe not the sound, but definitely the look. Sometimes performing a hit is so anti-climatic because the game reminds you that the target is just another enemy with a different skin. If IO could give us different death animations or something to distinguish a target from a goon, I would be happy.

Minor complaint though.

A memory corridor sequence a la Assassin's Creed? :P (jk)

I know what you mean though. Like, why not have a brief interaction between 47 and his target like they did for the guy in Death of a Showman?

S3R6i0
1st May 2014, 02:41
I don't know about all that. 47 is a professional. He's not there to chat people up about the weather. He's there to kill them, and nothing more. He owes no explanation about anything. Besides, I'm sure it'll get kinda corny after a while with 47 apologizing to all his victims.

In Death of a Showman, one of his objectives was to make sure the target saw the picture, that's why there was an interaction.

47 has no connection to any of these people, and given the nature of the situation, the less said the better.

Also, 47 isn't systematic when he kills someone. He has a gun, a fiber wire, he can create an accident. There would have to be special animations for all these scenarios.

I like the method that's in place now. Killing a target is like killing a bystander because at the end of the day, it's just another job, another objective, it's anonymity. I haven't played much of Assassins Creed but most of Ezio's, or Astair's targets, the guy had an axe to grind with them already. I really didn't care much about what his victims had to say anyway. They were dead, that's all I cared about.

AdrianShephard
1st May 2014, 04:27
A memory corridor sequence a la Assassin's Creed? :P (jk)

I know what you mean though. Like, why not have a brief interaction between 47 and his target like they did for the guy in Death of a Showman?

Hmm...not so much that. Accidents are awesome because they are all unique. I'm more talking about if you nail a guy in the head or something. IDK...sometimes I'm just like "that's it?" when I take out a target.

I don't know if I remember it right, but in Absolution time sort of slowed down when you killed a target with a gun. I thought that was a little cool.

I'm probably making a fuss over nothing. I'm just hungry for more news.

gkkiller
1st May 2014, 09:19
I don't know if I remember it right, but in Absolution time sort of slowed down when you killed a target with a gun.

It happens with other NPCs as well.

AdrianShephard
1st May 2014, 14:30
It happens with other NPCs as well.

You are right. I forgot about that.

kennj4
8th May 2014, 12:23
Having to sit through long conversations in order to set things in motion can be VERY annoying after awhile and it drives me nuts after replaying it 100x. I can recite the script in my sleep. But the game leaves you no choice but to sit and wait through it..

Also some missions have you waiting for WAY too long, such as getting the King of Chinatown to come upstairs in the apt or waiting for Leyla to walk around the penthouse. I can cook a steak and take my time eating it by the time they make it over....

S3R6i0
12th May 2014, 20:02
I have to say the "annoying shhhh" and hissing that you hear while being spotted served a good purpose in the context of the game, because 47 was vulnerable under disguise. Of all things to sling your **** at Absolution for, I think one isn't such a big deal. From the context of the game, 47 was on the run, and so he was on the defensive, so the game alerts you accordingly.

I don't think this feature will return in the next Hitman, just because it will be a different type of game.

Cyprez
12th May 2014, 20:56
I agree with OP.

The alarm was actually a lot better. The sound really got my attention quickly but without being irretating. And having blur effects and such is just to much. Reminds me of Red Orchestra II where its even worse; the screen goes grey and blury once you're under fire.

S3R6i0
12th May 2014, 21:16
I agree with OP.

The alarm was actually a lot better. The sound really got my attention quickly but without being irretating. And having blur effects and such is just to much. Reminds me of Red Orchestra II where its even worse; the screen goes grey and blury once you're under fire.

You didn't like the blur effects? I liked them. From an artistic point of view, I think Absolution was well made, I liked the blur effect, especially right after strangling someone. Blood Money, for all it's glory, just wasn't as interesting, visually.

AdrianShephard
12th May 2014, 22:49
I have to say the "annoying shhhh" and hissing that you hear while being spotted served a good purpose in the context of the game, because 47 was vulnerable under disguise. Of all things to sling your **** at Absolution for, I think one isn't such a big deal. From the context of the game, 47 was on the run, and so he was on the defensive, so the game alerts you accordingly.

I don't think this feature will return in the next Hitman, just because it will be a different type of game.

The problem was that you ALWAYS heard the sound. Even if guards were very far away, if you weren't in the shadows, you hear the "shhhhh".

AdrianShephard
12th May 2014, 22:51
I agree with OP.

I know what you mean about the blurring. The blur effect was cool for the first few minutes but got old quick. It wasn't irritating, per se, but it was unnecessary (like the bloom).

S3R6i0
13th May 2014, 05:00
The problem was that you ALWAYS heard the sound. Even if guards were very far away, if you weren't in the shadows, you hear the "shhhhh".

Imagine looking at the screen somewhere very off-center. You wouldn't know someone was aware of you if it wasn't for the "shhh" sound. Again, bash and say whatever you want about the game play, that "shhh" was there for a reason. As objective as I was to Absolution that was one of the things that least got my attention. If that open letter to the fans is anything to go by, we won't have to worry about many of these features. You could tell the game play in Absolution was streamlined so that 5 year olds could play.

AdrianShephard
13th May 2014, 14:49
Imagine looking at the screen somewhere very off-center. You wouldn't know someone was aware of you if it wasn't for the "shhh" sound. Again, bash and say whatever you want about the game play, that "shhh" was there for a reason. As objective as I was to Absolution that was one of the things that least got my attention. If that open letter to the fans is anything to go by, we won't have to worry about many of these features. You could tell the game play in Absolution was streamlined so that 5 year olds could play.

In the Hitman 1 and 2 (forgot about Contracts) games, a special soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3XvTg-sXqw) played when enemies were getting suspicious. It (for me) didn't take you out of immersion and wasn't annoying while at the same time getting the job done. Maybe IO could do something like this for Hitman 6?

Calvarok
13th May 2014, 23:52
the sound effects were meant to sound like radio static. when you were in cover and someone was looking at your cover the static became more crackly to indicate that. this was all pretty clearly mostly for people playing on purist with no UI, to give them audio cues rather than visual ones. same with the noises for being spotted, guards finding a body, or guards changing their alert status

Itsrob
14th May 2014, 00:16
In the Hitman 1 and 2 (forgot about Contracts) games, a special soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3XvTg-sXqw) played when enemies were getting suspicious. It (for me) didn't take you out of immersion and wasn't annoying while at the same time getting the job done. Maybe IO could do something like this for Hitman 6?

I'd like this much more than Absolutions system.

And this is the one used in Contracts:

jWrx7U47XU8

S3R6i0
15th May 2014, 17:39

Except that when you get people like me playing; I, for one, didn't know the soundtrack was necessarily a result of people being suspicious, I thought it was just the soundtrack. It's not like the tutorial went over that, neither did the manual. Sometimes the music changed only if you completed an objective or reached a certain point. The alerts in Absolution were more obvious, especially for people who weren't so familiar with the series. And also they were key if you were playing on purist mode.

Itsrob
15th May 2014, 17:43
Except that when you get people like me playing; I, for one, didn't know the soundtrack was necessarily a result of people being suspicious, I thought it was just the soundtrack. It's not like the tutorial went over that, neither did the manual. Sometimes the music changed only if you completed an objective or reached a certain point. The alerts in Absolution were more obvious, especially for people who weren't so familiar with the series. And also they were key if you were playing on purist mode.

How could you have no idea? Every single time a guard was alerted that soundtrack came on. Sort of hard to not put together.

S3R6i0
15th May 2014, 17:58
How could you have no idea? Every single time a guard was alerted that soundtrack came on. Sort of hard to not put together.

Yes. But just because a soundtrack comes on doesn't necessarily mean a guard is suspicious. And just because a guard was suspicious in Blood Money didn't mean you were in any danger, in Absolution if you were spotted they would apprehend you. You see the difference? Hitman 1-3 were very reliant on a musical score, a score that felt more cinematic than tactical. The sounds in Absolution were more specific, they were alerts, not cinematic orchestras. A special sound would play when you grabbed someone's attention after throwing something, instead of the bodyguard going "HUH?", talk about an immersion killer.

For some people the alerts in Absolution weren't such a big deal. The shhh sound represented 47's acute sense of awareness. The problem was that it was very frequent on account of how strict the disguise system was. If you're gonna complain, make sure you complain about the exact problem.

AdrianShephard
15th May 2014, 19:16
Yes. But just because a soundtrack comes on doesn't necessarily mean a guard is suspicious.

Well, that's how IO planned it out in the first 3 games. You're the only person I know that didn't realize that when the game transitions from an electronic or orchestral to pounding drums, something is going down. The same pounding music + suspicion meter high = the soundtrack when a guard is suspicious.

And just because a guard was suspicious in Blood Money didn't mean you were in any danger, in Absolution if you were spotted they would apprehend you. You see the difference?

There was no special soundtrack in Blood Money when guards got suspicious. And more times than not, guards would either be normal or hostile, never suspicious (in my experience). I guess by suspicious I mean that the guards can see through your disguise, which didn't happen much in Blood Money.

Hitman 1-3 were very reliant on a musical score, a score that felt more cinematic than tactical. The sounds in Absolution were more specific, they were alerts, not cinematic orchestras. A special sound would play when you grabbed someone's attention after throwing something, instead of the bodyguard going "HUH?", talk about an immersion killer.

I don't think a score is supposed to be "tactical". Perhaps I just don't understand what you mean by "cinematic" and "tactical". I think Jesper Kyd did an excellent job encompassing the culture of each locale in his music. And I disagree about the first 3 Hitman games being reliant on a musical score. If you didn't figure out that there was a special soundtrack for suspicious guards, then you could look at the meter at the top of the screen (just like Blood Money) or you could see the alerts that would pop up.

How does someone going "huh?" kill immersion? Isn't that the obvious reaction to hearing a bottle or something break? I would think that seeing the screen go blurry, hearing a loud sound, then the guard going "huh?" (they still did this in Absolution) would kill immersion.

If you're gonna complain, make sure you complain about the exact problem

He's complaining about the sound effects and didn't bring up the disguise system, hence the title of this thread. He also said that this was a bad replacement for the suspicion meter. While the disguise system in Absolution made you hear the "shhhh" a lot, it is, to me, still annoying.

S3R6i0
15th May 2014, 20:54
Well, that's how IO planned it out in the first 3 games. You're the only person I know that didn't realize that when the game transitions from an electronic or orchestral to pounding drums, something is going down. The same pounding music + suspicion meter high = the soundtrack when a guard is suspicious.

You're just wrong. There are certain situations in Blood Money when the dangerous music will start to come on not as a result of guards being suspicious, for example, in A Vintage Year (Blood Money), there's a scenario where you garrote the drug lord's son downstairs in the winery. The guard who is up above is already dead. There is nobody else around who has the slightest idea what is going on, but you're out in the open and there are lots of avenues of approach. All of a sudden, as you drag the target to safety the loud thunderous orchestra will start to play. It's a tool of suspense, and it's used a lot in Blood Money. Just killing a target in a very sensitive area will illicit this music. That can create confusion the next time you hear music as "should I worry or not". In Absolution it was very specific.

There was no special soundtrack in Blood Money when guards got suspicious. And more times than not, guards would either be normal or hostile, never suspicious (in my experience). I guess by suspicious I mean that the guards can see through your disguise, which didn't happen much in Blood Money.

I never said there was. In fact, what I said "...I, for one, didn't know the soundtrack was necessarily a result of people being suspicious...". And the rest of that made no sense.

I don't think a score is supposed to be "tactical". Perhaps I just don't understand what you mean by "cinematic" and "tactical". I think Jesper Kyd did an excellent job encompassing the culture of each locale in his music. And I disagree about the first 3 Hitman games being reliant on a musical score. If you didn't figure out that there was a special soundtrack for suspicious guards, then you could look at the meter at the top of the screen (just like Blood Money) or you could see the alerts that would pop up.

Okay. First you said there is no special soundtrack in your previous paragraph, now you're saying there is. You're all over the place, man. And I never said a score was supposed to be tactical. What I said was the sounds in Absolution are specific (tactical), and in Hitman 1-3, some of the music is there for suspense purposes (cinematic).

How does someone going "huh?" kill immersion? Isn't that the obvious reaction to hearing a bottle or something break? I would think that seeing the screen go blurry, hearing a loud sound, then the guard going "huh?" (they still did this in Absolution) would kill immersion.

In Hitman 1-3, the "huh" is less authentic. In real life, a guard sniffing for clues isn't gonna give himself away by going"HUH? Here I am!" Yeah, they did the same in Absolution but people only complain when it's in Absolution. And in Absolution the sound made when somebody got spooked conveyed the feeling of suspect and curiosity.

He's complaining about the sound effects and didn't bring up the disguise system, hence the title of this thread. He also said that this was a bad replacement for the suspicion meter. While the disguise system in Absolution made you hear the "shhhh" a lot, it is, to me, still annoying.

Right. He didn't bring up the disguise system, but should have. The title of this thread states: UNNECESSARY, while the "shhh" sound was in fact, very necessary. In Absolution, people of the same disguise, far away from you, could blow your cover, what would you have preferred, no sound at all? That would've made the game very playable. I remember may times when the "shhh" sound saved me from being spotted because I was looking off-center. A different sound maybe? Whatever the sound you know people would've had a hair up their ass about it.

I just think this is a very trivial detail to have a discussion about and not well thought out.

AdrianShephard
15th May 2014, 22:22
There are certain situations in Blood Money when the dangerous music will start to come on not as a result of guards being suspicious, for example, in A Vintage Year (Blood Money), there's a scenario where you garrote the drug lord's son downstairs in the winery.

Are we still talking about the first 3 Hitman games? Because that's what I was referring to...

I honestly forgot why I wrote this. I think I was going somewhere with it.

Okay. First you said there is no special soundtrack in your previous paragraph, now you're saying there is. You're all over the place, man. And I never said a score was supposed to be tactical. What I said was the sounds in Absolution are specific (tactical), and in Hitman 1-3, some of the music is there for suspense purposes (cinematic).

Quote me where I said there was no special soundtrack in my previous paragraph and then quote me where I said there is.

In Hitman 1-3, the "huh" is less authentic. In real life, a guard sniffing for clues isn't gonna give himself away by going"HUH? Here I am!" Yeah, they did the same in Absolution but people only complain when it's in Absolution. And in Absolution the sound made when somebody got spooked conveyed the feeling of suspect and curiosity.

Well duh! The AI and reactions of NPC gets better over time. And who complained about the "huh" in Absolution?

The title of this thread states: UNNECESSARY, while the "shhh" sound was in fact, very necessary.

Maybe this is why we butt heads a lot. Your opinion is not a fact.

S3R6i0
15th May 2014, 23:11
Are we still talking about the first 3 Hitman games? Because that's what I was referring to...

Christ! Hitman games were never titled. I must've grouped every game from Codename 47 to Blood Money into one. Anyway, this argument is turning into another maze of $H!t. I'll let it be. I'm not gonna quote you on anything because I now know we were both talking about completely different aspects (Blood Money being different from the other games, I guess), and now we're crossing into different territory.

Well duh! The AI and reactions of NPC gets better over time.

I was referring to the sound effect in Absolution when an exclamation mark popped up over someone's head (a chimey blend of instruments that conveyed suspect and curiosity better than the "huh?"). I, personally, would remove the "huh?" and just stick to that as a way to express alarm on an NPC.

And who complained about the "huh" in Absolution?

That's my point, because the "huh?" was in pre-Absolution Hitman it was overlooked. Everything else, like the chimes and the "shhh" people had a problem with. Like I said before, a guard going "D-D-W-HUH?" while on patrol kills the immersion as well. It just seems to me like people will look for any excuse to trash Absolution. I can agree the game was trash, but GOD DAMN!

Maybe this is why we butt heads a lot. Your opinion is not a fact.
True. But stating the exact opposite of what I said (unnecessary sound effects), is an opinion as well.

AdrianShephard
15th May 2014, 23:27
It just seems to me like people will look for any excuse to trash Absolution. I can agree the game was trash, but GOD DAMN!

People will always find a reason to trash something.

Calvarok
19th May 2014, 21:08
to be honest I thought the detection static noise improved my experience. it makes being detected a lot more tense as you're hoping you'll blend with the crowd or get around a corner before it reaches full pitch.

find it funny people dislike these audio cues bc it makes things too "gamey", as I've always considered hitman a very gamey-feeling series. if they make it feel more natural and immersive in the future, fine, but it's dumb to claim blood money was the height of realism or some nonsense.