PDA

View Full Version : Bug: NPCs stop patrolling

ggsnake
4th Mar 2014, 12:42
Hello, over the last few gaming days I encountered a very annoying bug: A patrolling guard just stops walking around and stands still on a random, fixed position. He will never move again (I've waited for 20 minutes). Sadly, saving and loading will not reset the NPC behavior.

Depending on the location of the guard and the settings (ghost settings, do not alert anyone), the mission may become impossible to complete. This makes this bug very annoying. So far, I think that this bug is occuring after excessive quick saving/loading in a mission.

Has anyone experienced a similiar problem?

Wurm
4th Mar 2014, 14:42
SPOILERS HO! /Hammerlock

Doing the quest to get the 8 legged cat I had the servant go outside to get the bottle of wine as requested, except he doesn't. He goes and stands outside right next to the guard. Making the Aerial Take-down without being discovered impossible. I even threw a bottle right on top of his head, he yells but doesn't move.

Having that bug, in that mission, drove me about mad. In fact all of the NPC in that one mission acted really wonky, except the one guard smoking his pipe.

SCBTripWire
5th Mar 2014, 00:30
I have experienced this as well. I ended up being forced to kill 2 guards and not 2 others out... just for a measly 3gp gear.

CharlesFindertism
9th Mar 2014, 21:34
This made it impossible for me to get a perfect ghost run :/

Targa
13th Mar 2014, 04:51
SPOILERS HO! /Hammerlock

Doing the quest to get the 8 legged cat I had the servant go outside to get the bottle of wine as requested, except he doesn't. He goes and stands outside right next to the guard. Making the Aerial Take-down without being discovered impossible. I even threw a bottle right on top of his head, he yells but doesn't move.

Having that bug, in that mission, drove me about mad. In fact all of the NPC in that one mission acted really wonky, except the one guard smoking his pipe.

That's not a bug. That's his intended behavior. Here's how to get the aerial takedown on that mission:

At mission start, exit through the window and toss a throwable to your left and right in front of the roof you're standing on. The guard by the front of the house will come over to investigate.

That being said, that particular mission (or scripts in general) are very buggy. In that mission there's a point at the end where guards are standing in certain positions and/or patrolling. I did a quick save then loaded and one guard was in a totally different position, and another stopped his patrol and went back to mission-start behavior. In addition, throwing breakables right at their feet didn't send them into alert mode. The only way I could get them into alert mode with a throwable was to hit them with it! This isn't the first time I've seen NPC's ignoring throwables after loading a save either.

xDarknessFallsx
14th Mar 2014, 05:58
I only saw this issue with around Chapter 7 or 8... more specifically (big spoiler):

The boss fight with the Thief Taker General. I was finding it impossible to get past him. I couldn't pick the lock before he killed me. I couldn't get close enough to kill him because he'd see me and kill me. I didn't have weaponry to kill him (was playing Master difficulty with non-specialty arrows, etc.).

After many frustrating re-loads with everything failing, I finally decided to just check out the table near the middle. I think there was loot on it? Glad I did, because he saw me and walked over to it as I swooped back, and then he just stopped there right next to the desk. Period. Didn't move, didn't talk, didn't engage in combat, etc. Paused in time; I think he was even mid-stride, too. So, I used this to my advantage and used the creep key to very slowly walk around the arena and open the gates and pick the lock and escape :) I didn't dare walk, swoop, or make any commotion for fear it might re-animate him ;) He never "un-froze."

So, it's one example where I'm actually glad this bug exists! Saved me from much heartache.

pwyll
15th Mar 2014, 23:18
I noticed that in South Quarter near the docks. 2 guards stopped moving and made it impossible to go to certain areas. After I finished a main story mission and returned to the City I saw that they are moving again.

I think this bug should be considered with higher priority than the audio issues.

GimmeDaGun
15th Mar 2014, 23:53
It happened to me too, several times actually during different missions.

Olivir2013
16th Mar 2014, 06:14
During Bank Heist, I thought it was impossible to finish, as two guards were standing still in the opposite corners. Than I reloaded (being killed) - and to my surprise, one of the guards starts patrolling. On another reload even some civilians started to move to another part of the location. This game is really a pile of bugs, it could easily be compared to Elder Scrolls series:-( I suffer in silence and just keep playing, but somehow I doubt Ironman players like this...

ggsnake
16th Mar 2014, 15:31
I think the patrolling issues are purely save game related, so iron man players should have no problem ;). And to be fair, the game doesn't even have that many bugs. A 100% bug free game at release does not exist.

gnartsch
16th Mar 2014, 16:02
Yes, these issues seem to be related to saving your game and reloading.
If you have the alert-level indicator enabled, you may even see that they remain in whatever alert level they had been when you saved.
But this might also apply to AI that are perfectly unalert and on their normal patrol route.

But there is away to bring things back to normal:
just raise their attention a bit - e.g. using a bottle for distraction - and they should return to normal behaviour.

ggsnake
16th Mar 2014, 17:30
just raise their attention a bit - e.g. using a bottle for distraction - and they should return to normal behaviour.

Sadly this is no option for people playing strict ghost (no first level alerts).