PDA

View Full Version : xp-deficit when playing offensively (gunfights etc)?

lead341
3rd Mar 2014, 21:02
Hi everyone,

in a couple of days I am about to start with Deus Ex Human Revolution and I am quite looking forward to it (going to play it in a completionist way, on highest difficulty). Now one thing that I am certainly looking forward are the interesting game mechanics, that means that there are different solutions for a problem, different ways to approach a goal etc. And sure I will try them all out. Nevertheless, in general I am rather the offensive player who likes good (and challenging) gun fights - especially when they are visually quite well done (like in Deus Ex), when there is such a nice variety of weapons etc. So sneaking/non-lethality is not so much my thing in visually impressive games.

Now what bothers me a little is that I have read in several reviews of the game that these offensive players do get quite a penalty since they usually receive less xp than sneaking players that play a level without a single shot (I read that when you sneak you get bonus xp).

Now I am not quite sure what to do: on the one hand I am looking forward to plenty of nice firefights, on the other hand, however, I also don´t want to forego too much xp (and with it, too many possibilities, augments etc.) in the game. Which approach would you recommend?

Cheers,

lead

CyberP
3rd Mar 2014, 21:48
especially when they are visually quite well done (like in Deus Ex)

Eh? Hmm, perhaps you mean Invisible War.

Now what bothers me a little is that I have read in several reviews of the game that these offensive players do get quite a penalty since they usually receive less xp than sneaking players that play a level without a single shot (I read that when you sneak you get bonus xp).

Yes the xp system has many problems. However the amount rewarded for the shooting playstyle is preferable for me because the game throws xp at you for numerous actions, you can still get more praxis (unlocked with xp) than you ever need.
For the xp difference we are talking two maybe three extra praxis points awarded for stealth, if that. two extra points you don't need. The shooter still uses takedowns which reward similarly to stealth, or any non-lethal tool for that matter, but you shouldn't let xp influence your playstyle/actions at all, go with what you think is the most fun to do, or what you think is the "right" think to do or whatever, not because it rewards the highest xp. And this is why the original Deus Ex has a superior xp rewards system.
In my opinion the shooting is the finer playstyle the game has to offer due to many, many questionable stealth mechanics that outright kill it, so jump right in and have a blast. The shooting playstyle still has it's problems but you will have a fun time, this I am sure.

lead341
4th Mar 2014, 12:13
Thanks mate for this very re-assuring reply, I appreciate it. So I am just going to play the way I will enjoy it most - btw, I forgot to mention that it is the Director´s Edition.
Let´s see how it goes.

Thx and cheers,

lead

ManOWar
5th Mar 2014, 01:40
At first I thouht I would lack praxis points so I decided to maximise XP, or almost. There are somes XP that I was not able to get or I simply did not wanted to reload for. For example, I forgot to give back the ring, wich is lot of XP, but still.

Now I have 21 praxis points unspent, and half-throught games. I have put my used praxis in keys spots. (hacking, double takedown, icarus landing system, jump, punc throught walls, 2 points in hacking stealth, carrying capacity, 1 points for 1 extra energy cell, I even put 2 points on dermal armor. Theses 21 extra I will be able to spend on anything I guess.

I think the whole system is limitating indeed, because most of the times the funnier way to solve a problem is the one that give the less xp. Of I course I like double take-down and takedowns, but sometimes I Wonder why I have all thèses ammos and guns and cannot really use them. lol

To compensate some XP that I missed, (forgot to give back the ring in a quest and costed 1000 xp I read lol) just explore as much as you can and that will give you plenty of xp.

Hacking...I think I've earned half my praxis by hacking everything I could. Spend praxis in hacking, I waited too long and regreted later as I lost many xp by using the auto-unlock devices and some times the codes. I have found no need to put points in robots and turret hacking controls thought as I like to destroy them (45 xp each) and it's a good way to get rid of theses frags and EMP that takes all your carrying capacity.

hybridex
7th Mar 2014, 18:54
That is the exciting thing about DXHR. It's still good to replay and try a different way of doing things. I've gone through the entire game by stealth, not killing anyone or being seen and getting all ghost bonuses, then I would go back and replay the game and make it exciting and just go all out guns blazing. I still enjoy going back in and just kill every gangbangers or sneaking in and stealth kill the bad guys without them knowing what hit them.