PDA

View Full Version : Thief Performance Tweaking Info and Questions

VORTEXWARE
3rd Mar 2014, 15:19
Thief right out of the box runs poorly and it needs some tweaking in order to get a good gaming experience, i been digging around and found this website which pretty much summarizes all the changes you need for best performance http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16001-thief-4-tweaks-fixes, however i am not sure about this change:

"Using the 32bit version of Thief can help eliminate stuttering and other performance-related issues. Go to: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Thief\Binaries and RENAME the "Win64" folder to whatever you want e.g. "Win64Backup". Then COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy" and then RENAME the "Win32 - Copy" folder to "Win64"" - What is the point of doing a Win32 - copy when you are already renaming it to Win64

Can anybody please explain this to me if you can, thank you

rhirons
3rd Mar 2014, 22:06
If the win32 folder is missing and simply renamed to Win64 then steam will detect an incomplete download and may fail steam file verification. Other than that I'm not sure. Regardless, the fix worked perfectly for me in regards to the stuttering/freezes and reduced my RAM usage by about 50%

VORTEXWARE
3rd Mar 2014, 22:52
So basically there will be 3 folders now, with64backup, win32 - copy, and win64 ? That's the part I am confused about, the way the guide reads there are only 2 files to work with; basically all I wanna make sure is that win32 gets copied and pasted so that it becomes win64?

rhirons
3rd Mar 2014, 23:55
So basically there will be 3 folders now, with64backup, win32 - copy, and win64 ? That's the part I am confused about, the way the guide reads there are only 2 files to work with; basically all I wanna make sure is that win32 gets copied and pasted so that it becomes win64?

Not exactly. You'll rename Win64 to Win64backup (or similar). Then you'll have the original Win32 folder, Which you copy then paste creating Win32-Copy then you rename that to Win64 leaving you with 3 folders. Win32, Win64 (renamed from Win32-copy) and Win64backup.

VORTEXWARE
4th Mar 2014, 00:19
Thank you very much, that answered my question, after this and running the game in exclusive fullscreen can i go back to running the game in normal settings or still in low settings?