PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter: The Peril of Autosave

Ocilon
2nd Mar 2014, 09:28
Dear Eidos forum goers, Community managers, Admins, and Dev Staff...

First off let me state my issue: I really want to turn off the autosave feature as it does nothing but interfere with and needless complicate my thieving experience. Can this be done and, if so, how do I go about it?

Why would I want to do this? For those not in the know: quick and autosaves overwrite each other. When you quicksave, your last autosave is now gone. When the game autosaves, your last quicksave is now gone. So until this issue is fixed, don't bother quick saving. It's a bad, possibly disastrous habit to develop at the moment. Use the manual save in the menu instead. Yes, it's annoying and immediately destroys your immersion, but at least you won't find yourself in my position at some point.

And now for a short rant explaining how I got here: I just lost six hours of progress because I had assumed that the quicksave and autosave were different features, like every other game ever made that has them. Silly me.

Please understand, Eidos community managers and Dev staff who may at some point read this: I love this game. Thief is [/i]awesome,[/i] despite it's nasty case of consolitis.

I had just picked up a painting and Garret sounded like he said something witty about, but unfortunately three audio files decided to play at one, so I completely missed it. Hoping it was a one time bug, I hit the quick load button. Instead of bringing me back to the rooftop outside I found myself exactly where I was standing before, painting stashed in Garret's hammerspace cloak. Frustrated, I checked the save menu and finally discovered that quicksaves and autosaves are not kept separate. I'd have to go back fifteen minutes if I wanted to hear Garret's wit at work. That's fine. I'll just skip whatever I was doing then and collect the painting early, so maybe two minutes tops instead of fifteen.

I load a manual save located in the chapter 2 save tab of the confusing and unintuitive save menu, and instead of taking me back 15 minutes, it goes to Ector's Emporium in chapter 1. Being that this was the first job I took when I began chapter 1, I immediately became more concerned, and decided to settle for missing Garret's line about the painting instead of replaying all of chapter 1 and a third of chapter 2.

So I load the autosave in the chapter 2 slot. Fade to black. Enjoy loading screen art. Fade in from black. Uh oh... I'm still in Ector's Emporium. Oh... (censored). Did I just load a chapter 1 save, at which point the game immediately autosaved... in my chapter 2 slot?

Yes. Yes it did. That awful thing, for which the chapter by chapter save system was probably implemented to prevent, not only happened, but appears to have actually been caused by that very same system.

Thus I ask you, Eidos: please either fix this frustrating, mind boggling major gaffe or at the very least provide some way of disabling the autosave. I understand it's supposed to be there to help us players by minimizing the penalty for failure, but for me, and I suspect many others, it can seriously curtail the fun to be had with the game as well. Players can be trapped in difficult or even untenable situations, and then may be forced to go back in time several hours, which is precisely what the autosave feature is designed to prevent. Sure, the same risk of losing huge swaths of progress still exists if the autosave is turned off, but then it's on me, the player, for not quicksaving often enough. My failures are my fault, as it should be. Not yours.

In closing, I'm probably done with Thief for a week or two, which is disappointing, because I'd just purchased it a few days ago. But I'll be back, because despite it's warts and one well concealed horrifying deformity that might cost you hours of progress, the game is still great.

Sincerely, Dude Who Complains about Thief Because He Actually Loves it and Wants it to be Better.

Arrakim1
2nd Mar 2014, 09:46
Good letter my friend everyone should read it to not make the same mistake as you did.
and yes I agree quick and autosaves shoud be kept seperate

NixxesSoftware
3rd Mar 2014, 16:49
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear that the saving went wrong here. The devs are looking into the problems that users are having with the system.

For now, please know that you do not lose your quick-save progress in the Auto-save slot unless you specifically go into the menu and load one of the other save slots (Esc -> Load -> Save Slot [1 - 99]).

To access your quick-save when the quick-load fails to put you where you expected:

Go to your in-game menu and select the Load option.
Select the Auto-save slot and load the 'Last Manual Save' entry.

This will take you to your quick-save location.
I hope that, for now, this can help prevent these kinds of setbacks.

GPUX
3rd Mar 2014, 19:40
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear that the saving went wrong here. The devs are looking into the problems that users are having with the system.

For now, please know that you do not lose your quick-save progress in the Auto-save slot unless you specifically go into the menu and load one of the other save slots (Esc -> Load -> Save Slot [1 - 99]).

To access your quick-save when the quick-load fails to put you where you expected:

Go to your in-game menu and select the Load option.
Select the Auto-save slot and load the 'Last Manual Save' entry.

This will take you to your quick-save location.
I hope that, for now, this can help prevent these kinds of setbacks.

Unfortunately even the manual save entry in the auto-save slot gets rewritten if one runs into the same SNAFU that the OP and I have ran into.

Lost 4 hours of progress.. have decided to put Thief on the back-burner until this issue is resolved.

Rockn-Roll
4th Mar 2014, 02:44
The Load GUI is way too complicated...when we choose Load then we should be allowed to select a saved game...and it appears that we can; however, once we select a saved game Thief doesn't load that saved game...instead it presents another selection of Manual Save, AutoSave, and Most Recent Save. This is confusing because we don't know what is being saved in the AutoSave, and the Most Recent Save is definitely not the last save we made. There should just be ONE selection for AutoSave, ONE selection for Most Recent Save, and then a selection of all of our Manual Saves. And, when we select a save then Thief should load it...not present another selection...it's confusing such that we don't know what's been saved or what is loading.

Ocilon
5th Mar 2014, 01:47
Hello.
Snipped the rest to save time.

It is encouraging to know that Eidos is aware of the problem and looking into fixing it.

Unfortunately the proposed solution did not work very well for me, as all but one of my save files took me back to Ector's Emporium. The one save that didn't take me there was two hours ahead, so it's nice to know that I've cut my retreading down by a third.

However, I do encourage others who are having this problem to try the solution because you may have better luck. I'm still going to wait for a patch before continuing the game, as the last thing I want to happen is accidentally have a repeat and lose an entire chapter again.

pwyll
8th Mar 2014, 09:46
I tested this today on PC - not happening here. Autosaves are autosaves and quicksaves are quicksaves. When I clicked Load Last Save - it loaded the autosave. Then I used Quick Load and it loaded the quicksave which I made before the game autosaved. It works for me fine.

GPUX
8th Mar 2014, 10:19
I tested this today on PC - not happening here. Autosaves are autosaves and quicksaves are quicksaves. When I clicked Load Last Save - it loaded the autosave. Then I used Quick Load and it loaded the quicksave which I made before the game autosaved. It works for me fine.

Well its happened to more then one person, so its not exactly a unique case.

Ocilon
9th Mar 2014, 01:24
I have a feeling this issue is uncommon. It's a big, not exactly game breaking problem, but something like one. Despite, this it wasn't caught by QA and it isn't dominating the forums. This tells me that either only a small portion of players are affected by this issue, or this small portion of players are the only ones using the save menu at all.

This seems to support the first assumption. Or perhaps it was patched in 1.1 and nobody told us? I suppose I'll run Thief today and see if that is the case.

GPUX
9th Mar 2014, 05:19
I have a feeling this issue is uncommon. It's a big, not exactly game breaking problem, but something like one. Despite, this it wasn't caught by QA and it isn't dominating the forums. This tells me that either only a small portion of players are affected by this issue, or this small portion of players are the only ones using the save menu at all.

This seems to support the first assumption. Or perhaps it was patched in 1.1 and nobody told us? I suppose I'll run Thief today and see if that is the case.

I was on 1.1 when it happened to me, so I guess not.

ClashWho
9th Mar 2014, 14:58
I'm curious why the devs didn't decide to implement permanent manual saves that remain unless actively deleted by the player. Any thoughts?

GPUX
9th Mar 2014, 20:36
I'm curious why the devs didn't decide to implement permanent manual saves that remain unless actively deleted by the player. Any thoughts?

I'd say it was unintentionally overlooked.

Titans831
9th Mar 2014, 22:47
On xbox one i load the game then it says "press any button to start" when i do that it takes you to the menu that says "this game has an auto save feature" and it gets stuck at that menu. Does anyone know how to get passed that? Are they going to release a patch soon?

NixxesSoftware
10th Mar 2014, 13:16

Hello everyone,

Pwyll's quote above reflects the minor change that has been made while the issue with the game crashing on 99+ saves was being fixed (patch v1.2 build 4116.4). Your quick load key will now bring you back to your quick save state. We expect this minor change to give you a smoother gameplay experience.

Do be aware that the quick save state is kept in your auto-save slot. If you load progress from a different save slot (e.g. in-game menu -> load -> save slot #3 -> manual save) then it will be overwritten.

Targa
10th Mar 2014, 21:02

All of my manual saves have been permanent throughout the entire game. That being said, I never use quick save. I always open the save menu and select a save slot. This is a different subject than what the OP is referring to. Unless you meant to say "permanent manual quick save slot".

My save slots look like this:

South Quarter: (South Quarter) Last manual save + (South Quarter) Last checkpoint
A Man Apart: (A Man Apart) Last manual save + (A Man Apart) Last checkpoint
etc.. which I think is fine.

I agree with the OP. Had I been using quick save and quick load, I would have expected that particular save to always be there unless or until I used quick save again to overwrite it. QS should have a dedicated slot and never be deleted by the game without your knowledge. Apparently the way the system works is that the auto save and quick save are two separate saves, both appearing in the autosave slot on the load menu. If the player loads from any other save slot but that one, both the auto save and quick save are deleted. That's one of the strangest developer decisions I've ever seen in a game.

ClashWho
10th Mar 2014, 21:22
All of my manual saves have been permanent throughout the entire game. That being said, I never use quick save. I always open the save menu and select a save slot. This is a different subject than what the OP is referring to. Unless you meant to say "permanent manual quick save slot".

My save slots look like this:

South Quarter: (South Quarter) Last manual save + (South Quarter) Last checkpoint
A Man Apart: (A Man Apart) Last manual save + (A Man Apart) Last checkpoint
etc.. which I think is fine.

Say what? Do you have to enter the specific Chapter/Area of the save game in order to access it? If I'm in the City hub and I want to load, say, my Chapter Three manual save, can I do that without actually re-entering Chapter Three? Because if I'm in the City hub and I want to load a Chapter manual save, or a Client manual save, or a Bank Heist manual save or whatever, those options aren't there.

GPUX
10th Mar 2014, 21:39
QS should have a dedicated slot and never be deleted by the game without your knowledge. Apparently the way the system works is that the auto save and quick save are two separate saves, both appearing in the autosave slot on the load menu. If the player loads from any other save slot but that one, both the auto save and quick save are deleted. That's one of the strangest developer decisions I've ever seen in a game.

It is truly a bewildering design choice. It would have been better for the game to simply make separate slots for each autosave, a system which many other games have adopted in the past.

Keelhan
14th Mar 2014, 15:01
got the same problems with the save slots.when i use quicksave ill do save manual afterwards now.confused savesystem