PDA

View Full Version : The "Steam won't even load the game up" thread.

Trent , Kurtis
28th Feb 2014, 18:58
Because I somehow doubt I'm the only one experiencing this issue.

In short - I pre-ordered the game, pre-loaded it and then went to try and load it up this morning only to find it wouldn't even get to the menu screen. I tried a few things (like running it in compatibility mode etc.) and it still wouldn't load. So I uninstalled it and left it downloading again while I went to work.

I came home this evening only to find that despite downloading & reinstalling it the issue was still not resolved.

Am I annoyed? Most certainly. Would I like this issue resolved? You betcha. I will provide any technical information required but I would very much like this sorted as soon as possible.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Zednaught
28th Feb 2014, 19:15
You're certainly not the only one. Many other people are experiencing this issue. Have we gotten official confirmation that this is being looked in to?

I'm interested to know that re-installing didn't solve anything. It would have take 2 days straight for for me.

I'm using a 560 Ti, if that matters, and if an Eidos rep posts on this thread, I'm also happy to provide more info.

Trent , Kurtis
28th Feb 2014, 19:23
Poked about steam tech support and found the solution myself.

I think i have a solution, it works for many people, even for me
go to: program files - steam - SteamApps - common - Thief - Binaries and then simply copy (replace if it ask you) everything from Win32 to Win64, then just start the game :)

NixxesSoftware
28th Feb 2014, 23:02
Hi,

We have posted some additional problem resolution steps (solution #2) in this thread. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141619. Following those steps we expect you will be able to start the 64bit exe normally.

If this does not work for you (either Kurtis Trent or Zednaught) and would like to assist us in further trouble-shooting on this compatibility issue, please send us a PM.

bsharp999
28th Feb 2014, 23:15
Mine was the same
I lowered the graphic setting all to low
Now it works fine for now

Trent , Kurtis
28th Feb 2014, 23:15
Hi,

We have posted some additional problem resolution steps (solution #2) in this thread. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141619. Following those steps we expect you will be able to start the 64bit exe normally.

If this does not work for you (either Kurtis Trent or Zednaught) and would like to assist us in further trouble-shooting on this compatibility issue, please send us a PM.

That would be all well and good had I not tried the solutions in question only to find they didn't work for me either. The solution I found of my own accord on the Steam community forum for Thief however did work and I have since been enjoying the game.

Zednaught
28th Feb 2014, 23:39
Hi,

This solution does not work for me either, unfortunately. I'll fiddle around with the 32bit idea, but it's not working either.

Firekracker
1st Mar 2014, 06:33
Hi,

Unfortunately this didn't work. I said it before in another thread, I had a similar problem in Rome 2 with the launcher, it wouldn't start on some 64 bit systems because of DLL errors. Working around the launcher fixed it, and I am 100% certain that if we had a way to work around the launcher and start the game directly, it would work. Right now you can only do that will cracks though, and I want to play the game I paid for normally.

Zednaught
1st Mar 2014, 19:35
I'm pretty sure there's a related problem with another game from this studio: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Starting perhaps around the time the director's cut came out, the game has also refused to launch for me. Same studio, same symptom, and the only ones out of a large Steam collection to do this. Seems like it can't be coincidental.

Firekracker
2nd Mar 2014, 09:15
Ok I got it fixed for my system now.

I had the same problem with the Rome 2 launcher and Origin. The moment I failed to load up Origin with the same error, I realised something must be wrong with my computer, and that it somehow must have been the .NET framework.

So I did the following:

1. Uninstall all Visual C++ installations from the software panel
2. Use a .NET framework cleaning tool to wipe all .NET framework installations (simply reinstalling doesn't help)
3. restart
4. download and install the all in one runtime apps installer (win64)
5. restart
6. copy the win32 folder contents into the win64 folder contents.

Zednaught
2nd Mar 2014, 16:31
Ok I got it fixed for my system now.

I had the same problem with the Rome 2 launcher and Origin. The moment I failed to load up Origin with the same error, I realised something must be wrong with my computer, and that it somehow must have been the .NET framework.

So I did the following:

1. Uninstall all Visual C++ installations from the software panel
2. Use a .NET framework cleaning tool to wipe all .NET framework installations (simply reinstalling doesn't help)
3. restart
4. download and install the all in one runtime apps installer (win64)
5. restart
6. copy the win32 folder contents into the win64 folder contents.

Thank you for the update. I'm not quite as tech savvy as you, and I need a little more help to try those solutions.

1. Is there any risk of deleting all the C++ installations? There's a bunch of them on the uninstall program list.
2. Do you have a link to the .NET cleaning tool?
4. Is there a link to this apps installer?

Thank you.

Edit: Also, this same issue affect the game Tomb Raider. So, if there's any Nixxes people reading this, there's something common to the launcher you're using that's causing this conflict.