PDA

View Full Version : Rewriting quicksaves upon loading different level

zomgfire
28th Feb 2014, 18:47
Hello. Could you please fix the issue with rewriting quicksaves? I had a need to load earlier save game. I clicked on the wrong save which brought me 1.5 hours of game time back. In a minutes time my saves were rewritten and now i cannot load my quick save which i needed in the first place. That seems screwed up if you ask me that my quick save would rewrite itself upon loading a different level. Not many gamers are used to saving the game each time they see an enemy. And I have a 1.5 hours of game time to re-do just because this save system is flawed.

dogsolitude_uk
28th Feb 2014, 23:49
Hello. Could you please fix the issue with rewriting quicksaves? I had a need to load earlier save game. I clicked on the wrong save which brought me 1.5 hours of game time back. In a minutes time my saves were rewritten and now i cannot load my quick save which i needed in the first place. That seems screwed up if you ask me that my quick save would rewrite itself upon loading a different level. Not many gamers are used to saving the game each time they see an enemy. And I have a 1.5 hours of game time to re-do just because this save system is flawed.

+1

Most games keep Auto Saves and Quick Saves separate for this very reason. The idea of using the same file for both is insanely irritating and flies against the conventions established by pretty much every other PC game that supports Quick Saves and Auto Saves (e.g. Deus Ex).

Supposing you're ghosting the game, and get busted by a guard just before an Auto Save kicks in. You then have to reload from a previous manual save, which could be way back.

I'd say this is worth fixing. Definitely. :)

Tr00pertj
1st Mar 2014, 02:03
I agree with both of you and found out the hard way (loosing about 30 minutes game play and second time it happened the level ended I think level 2 but I planed on going back only to be quick loaded to the start of the next level). Why overwrite quick saves with auto saves when HDD space is a commodity these days? This was a feature of thief2 that some people loved and some hated but the option to use it was for the player.

Now I just manual save more often and use quick save between. Still would be better to have the option.

Evoc
1st Mar 2014, 13:50
Could be worse, im trying to solve a problem currently where this exact thing happened. But in my process of trying to go into the load menu to locate the quicksave, i load my one and only manual savegame from seeeveral chapters and hours back in the game.

Imagine my surprise when i can no longer locate even the autosave from my latest progress.

Any solution to this? I dont feel like playing all those chapters all over again, especially as i spent so meticulous time looting everything.

zomgfire
2nd Mar 2014, 07:22
Yeah. In case anyone from devs will actually read and reply, just a small update.

There is actually a note on the bottom of the screen when you are saving or loading level kinda warning us about auto and quick saves being dependent upon level, but it is really weird if you choose this mechanic, that you would not give a player more prominent message.
1 - I ve never in my relatively long life seen this kind of auto\quick save (and its not for lack of played games)
2 - In previous game of Thief series I played there was a straightforward save-on-spot method.
3 - Message displayed on the bottom of the screen in a save/load menu will never be first on my list of messages to read.

Given all this points, it would be such a simpler solution to just create a separate quicksave file. Pretty please!

P.S. - I am sorry m8 about your lost progress. I don't think there is actually a way to recover it at this moment =\

xDarknessFallsx
2nd Mar 2014, 08:29
+1... The save/load system and it's unpredictability is probably the least intuitively designed save/load system I've seen in an long time, or ever.

Sometimes QuickLoads put me in different places than I was. Put guards in different places than they were, or put them on patrol when they weren't before. Etc.

And sometimes QuickSaves don't let us save anywhere we want. I'm not sure if it was coincidence, but I've been unable to save when AI are alert, for example. Maybe that's by design? If so, I don't like that because even though they're alert, if I've found a nice hiding spot, I should be able to save if I wish. Another part was when I was some kind've cinematic but not really automated path the game set me on. If you're not paying attention to the upper-left corner, you may not notice your game didn't save. There's no alert saying game didn't save, and one could easily lose out on a lot of progress if there's ever an occasion where they tried to QuickSave and the game doesn't allow it and they die 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes later... only to find out at that point the game didn't save.

Sometimes QuickLoads lose some of the ambient music that was playing.

I avoid cabinets like the plague (or like the Gloom ;)) since they are more trouble than they're worth. I don't need those things saving my game. They've seemed to cause too much confusion for me and possibly loss or messing up of saved games, so yeah, I avoid them now.

And when you go to manually load a game but then have to decipher the resulting screen and try and figure out which of the three games you want to load... sometimes not knowing which, it any, are the game you want? That's ridiculous UI design.

srdaniel
26th Mar 2014, 00:40
I just lost a few nights of playing with this stupid check point save overwriting my quick save. Argh, I think the person that made this decision or bug is probably smiling and I hate them.

Hit Deity
26th Mar 2014, 04:59
I have gotten burned several times with this too, as I'm just not fond of a game deciding what is "my most recent save". Sometimes it's the Quicksave, sometimes it's a cabinet auto-save, or something else... it's just not consistent enough for me.

Best solution, and it has worked in other games as well, is to have the game continue to auto-save if it wants to, I'm fine with that, even with the cabinet saves (although I don't particularly care for them really; I too avoid them if at all possible).. Let the game continue to monitor its own auto-saves, no problem.

But when I Quicksave, I prefer to have the game create a saved game that can ONLY be loaded with a Quickload keypress. You could also have it listed in the Saved games for the Chapters, no problem. Just make them named Quicksave (manual) or something similarly descriptive, and I will know that I can always Quickload (or manually re-load) my Quicksave. It's the way most games work that I have EVER played, and it makes sense to do it that way. Even BETTER...have the game keep 3 Quicksave slots...each time I press Quicksave, the game saves the current gamestate in a cycle of 3 Quicksave slots, because I don't know how many times I've Quicksaved and been in an unwinnable situation. Doesn't happen often; but often enough to curse and bang on things. :mad2:

So, when I die I get a screen that says: Load Auto-save, one of my last 3 manual Quicksaves, or the option to go to the saves menu and Load a save of my choice. It's not rocket surgery, guys, Games have been doing it for decades. You just didn't get it quite right, that's all. Not sure why you were extemporizing, but please fix it ASAP! :scratch:

NixxesSoftware
26th Mar 2014, 10:15
Thank you for reporting this issue.
I'll send this over to the developers to see if they can improve upon the current quicksave/quickload.

srdaniel
27th Mar 2014, 22:57
Agreed. The quicksave data should never be overwritten except by another quicksave. That is the golden rule that seems to be broken here.

My previous post however I think may need some adjustment. I started steam today and was greeted with a prompt that said my steam cloud save files were 2 days older than my local files. Quicksave issue aside, my losing save files could have been in part due to some synchronization error with steam.

Still really enjoying this game. Initially I was meh, seemed kind of like a console port. The spooky'ness is finally starting to show during chapter 5 and I'm more familiar with the controls, ai, etc.

srdaniel
29th Mar 2014, 12:05
So last night I was nearing the end of chapter 5 and I created a manual save in slot 1 before finishing. When I finished chapter 5 I didn't find all the collectibles so I wanted to reload back to chapter 5 from save slot 1 that I created earlier. Now however when I try to load that save game says it is saved in the clock tower. Loading that game loads into the clock tower.

*Edit*
Near the end of chapter 6, I had just climbed up the elevator scaffolding and needed to open a set of double doors to confront the baron in his chambers. I first created a manual save in slot 11 followed by a quicksave. Upon opening the doors, after the loading screen, the cut scene I was shown was the beginning of chapter 6 (like I was starting over).

I hit F9 thinking huh, lets try that again. The game loaded and I was at the correct location in front of the doors. Entering the doors restarted me at the beginning of chapter 6 again.

I tried to load the manual save, selected slot 11, were I am presented with the auto, manual or checkpoint selection. Pretty sure I chose manual selection first, same result. After trying the various save options, at some point, I was only given the choice of manual or checkpoint. Both of which unfortunately bring me to the beginning of chapter 6.

I hope this bug get fixed at some point, manual saves should never get overwritten except by the player. Also I have never seen a game that puts the quicksave on a per-slot basis, why not just have one quicksave slot and one check point slot, not one per save slot? This is really strange in my opinion and probably the source of the previous, more grievous bug I mentioned above.

Daniel

PS Sorry for those who lost their jobs and I thank everyone for their hard work, I am enjoying the game more and more the further I've progressed in the game.

srdaniel
3rd Apr 2014, 23:45
Update:

So far the fix for the save games is working for me. Glad to see updates to this game, thank you.

Daniel