PDA

View Full Version : Can't disable lock picking helper

Igor05
28th Feb 2014, 11:02
Playing the PC version.
Both the lock picking and framesearch helper options make no changes whatsoever; the circles still appear.
Anyone else had this problem?

arkhanari
28th Feb 2014, 12:39
Playing the PC version.
Both the lock picking and framesearch helper options make no changes whatsoever; the circles still appear.

I don't think you can disable those. I am right now replaying the game trying to ghost it with more or less everything turned off and I still have those indicators that annoy you. Also - the game cannot be ghosted since some missions require you to cause a suspicion to pass by guards undetected.

xDarknessFallsx
28th Feb 2014, 15:44
Playing the PC version.
I have this "issue," too. But it's not really an issue, since without the icons, there wouldn't be any way to pick locks or frame search. I think there might be a faint, vague squeak heard for lockpicking when you're on or near a tumbler, but I don't know and don't think it's reliable enough to use in place of icons, in my limited tests.

I knew we wouldn't be able to turn them off (by looking at gameplay videos), despite some vague words used by EM (through a moderator) a while back to try and say there was an alternate audio-based system in place for lockpicking that would allow us to. And by them saying this and not talking about frame-searching, specifically, it seemed like an attempt to skirt around the concern/isue or sweep it under the rug for frame-searching. I.e., make us believe frame-searching had the same iconless capability. In the end, it seems neither have the capability.

I don't enjoy staring at icons.

wilco64256
28th Feb 2014, 16:10
So on console it's possible to completely disable those images, as you get vibration in the controller when you're in the correct location, but without them on PC how would you know when you're in the sweet spot?

xDarknessFallsx
28th Feb 2014, 17:02
Exactly, because they didn't design a viable alternative.

Olivir2013
28th Feb 2014, 18:54
Which is particulary silly, as how difficult is to play a sound when on the spot:scratch:

Exactly, because they didn't design a viable alternative.

Dietger
28th Feb 2014, 19:20
Well, I hate it.
Just playing the interface not the game.....

Woopate
2nd Mar 2014, 18:25
At least for lockpicting, Garret rubs his thumb and pointer finger together when you can successfully set the pin. I checked before trying to disable it myself. There is a way to see without the HUD. It's a shame the disable lockpick aid in the "Controller" options menu doesn't work.

Igor05
2nd Mar 2014, 19:00
Woopate is right.
In lockpicking, Garrett's rubs his thumb, and his slightly shakes his left hand. The clicking sounds don't seem to have any pattern.
I think framesearch really wouldn't be possible, though.

Muze
4th Mar 2014, 08:46
For those that use a controller on PC - there is a viable alternative. The vibration feedback will give the information needed to complete these tasks. I play mostly with the mouse, but I have the controller handy for certain gameplay situations like lockpicking. So I want to be able to turn the circles off.

As we know there IS an option to do so for both of these activities - under Options - Controller. But setting it to off doesn't work completely. It DOES work sometimes. And lockingpicking/frame searching is considerably more immersive with vibration feedback. For those who don't have or don't want to use a controller at all, there is the visual feedback.

Either way the option to turn off the circles should WORK.

Edit: Is there an .ini edit for this? Like the timed out fade fix in the sticky?

slayerking
4th Mar 2014, 10:02
I have this "issue," too. But it's not really an issue, since without the icons, there wouldn't be any way to pick locks or frame search. I think there might be a faint, vague squeak heard for lockpicking when you're on or near a tumbler, but I don't know and don't think it's reliable enough to use in place of icons, in my limited tests.

There is a way to tell when picking locks, Garrett wiggles his fingers when it's in the right spot ;)

Laicus
4th Mar 2014, 18:52
In file ThiefUI.ini

Change mOffset=15.f , for example, by mOffset=15000.f. It will hide partially indicators of lockpicking . When an odd number will be visible middle.
Sorry for my english:)

Muze
4th Mar 2014, 21:46
In file ThiefUI.ini

Change mOffset=15.f , for example, by mOffset=15000.f. It will hide partially indicators of lockpicking . When an odd number will be visible middle.
Sorry for my english:)

Yes I discovered this as well. I have mine set to 9000 but I will try yours. The middle button is visible on odd numbers as you say. But it's an improvement for now.

There's probably a similar setting for frames but I haven't found it.

In ThiefEngine.ini

If you look for this long line towards the bottom

mSettings=(mBase=(mGammaCalibration=0.0, mControlSchemeIndex=0, mbNeverShowHDDInstallMessage=false, mbNeverShowGammaScreenInBootFlow=false) , mHUD=(mbFrameSearchEnabled=true, mbLockpickEnabled=true,

It continues from there but you can change the last two to

mbFrameSearchEnabled=false, mbLockpickEnabled=false,

It seems even with these set to OFF in the Options, they are set to True in this file. You will need to save and then set file to read only.

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the issue, but it might help and it's worth a try.

The lockpick helper doesn't always show up anyways so when you combine that with the spread out circles off the screen from the first ini tweak, it's acceptable for now.