PDA

View Full Version : Thief won't start (Steam)

tensor9
28th Feb 2014, 03:24
The little Steam window comes up that says "Preparing to launch Thief", then it goes away. No error message, nothing.

I have the latest nVidia drivers. Latest everything. I've installed the DX redistributable from the Thief folder. I've verified my game files using Steam.

tensor9
28th Feb 2014, 04:59
Renaming dbghelp.dll to .old fixed the issue, though I'm not sure what sort of performance impact this might have.

Firekracker
28th Feb 2014, 12:05
Can you say again what exactly you did? When I renamed the .dll, the game wouldn't start because it was missing. When I got a fresh one from dll-base, it was back to before.

josh1quattro
28th Feb 2014, 12:42
Im also having this issue, and cant get it to work

tensor9
2nd Mar 2014, 23:20
In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\Binaries\Win64, I changed dbghelp.dll to .old. That's all.

Zednaught
3rd Mar 2014, 02:15
In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\Binaries\Win64, I changed dbghelp.dll to .old. That's all.

Interesting, I don't have that file anywhere in that folder.

howemi01
4th Mar 2014, 18:23
I'm nearing the end of my rope with the same issue. Submitted my dxdiag to Square Enix tech support but haven't heard back from them in 5 days. Does not appear to be a dump file being generated, or even a Thief folder in the documents directory for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29W0mJx6Ba0

This is my reward for preordering?

nms523
4th Mar 2014, 22:47
I just heard back from them & it's a BS answer. Telling me to update graphics card, direct x , uninstall & reinstall game, update sound card etc. I already told them my PC is completely updated & can more than handle their game. It's their start up .exe that is the problem, not the 95% of the consumers that bought their game.

nms523
4th Mar 2014, 23:39
OK peoples check this out. Found this suggestion on tweaks in Thief forum:

1. Go to: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Thief\Binaries
2. RENAME the "Win64" folder to whatever you want e.g. "Win64Backup"
3. COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy"
4. RENAME the "Win32 - Copy" folder to "Win64"

The startup window actually appears now, so it's just what I suspected, the problem lies in the Win64 folder.

dcasey
5th Mar 2014, 00:58
The switch back to the 32 bit files got my game started again - I'd switched to them initially to improve FPS, but the patch undid that tweak and prevented the game from loading into the bargain. I can now start the game again, which is nice - however, the new patch has made the game far jumpier, to the point it's almost unplayable. I now have a significant lag every time I move more than about ten yards in-game, which I assume is a cell loading thing. Any ideas?

howemi01
5th Mar 2014, 14:40
I just heard back from them & it's a BS answer. Telling me to update graphics card, direct x , uninstall & reinstall game, update sound card etc. I already told them my PC is completely updated & can more than handle their game. It's their start up .exe that is the problem, not the 95% of the consumers that bought their game.

Got the same exact email. :rolleyes:

Darkmagic
5th Mar 2014, 19:10
OK peoples check this out. Found this suggestion on tweaks in Thief forum:

1. Go to: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Thief\Binaries
2. RENAME the "Win64" folder to whatever you want e.g. "Win64Backup"
3. COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy"
4. RENAME the "Win32 - Copy" folder to "Win64"

The startup window actually appears now, so it's just what I suspected, the problem lies in the Win64 folder.

^ This worked for me I had the steam version crashed on startup have a black screen and then it would just simply crash and this has happend for two weeks had a forum post and sent a ticket forum wasnt helpful and support was even less helpful because they had sent me a email wanting my dxdiag witch I sent then text form not file and a windows event veiwer log. They sent me another email 6 days later asking for teh dxdiag again meaning my email and a lot more are being veiwed by bots and idk about any of you guys but I'd rather have somone with a brain and not a retarded software trying to fix my problem or simply stall or get rid of me so I wont bother them honestly the support for square enix is crap just like how the game is when you first purchase it. Dont get me wrong the game is fun but the technical issue with squre enix is FÜcking stupid I mean common big company with all the data files of the game and they couldn't figure out this simple four step problem solver honestly give it a try it amazingly got my game working witch was weird cause I had gone into the win64 and win32 and found he 64bit and 32bit version of the game and the I ran both of them and they both crashed but I guess steam launcher doesnt wanna use 32bit and since 64 was FÜcked, you trick it to run 32bit. basically.