PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievably bad performance

finaldddrumm
27th Feb 2014, 23:34
I have patched the game and continue to have issues. First of all, the only way I can get the game to launch from steam is by disabling the steam overlay function in the game properties. If it is on, the game will not start it will say "Thief has stopped working" and close. Problem event BEX64 Shipping-thiefgame.exe. By somehow disabling the overlay it works, I can live without the overlay.

BUT when I disable that and get into the game, it has a black screen for 2 minutes after hitting play. I have heard others say that the black screen will last much longer. The opening credits eventually show up with lag. That's right the "Square enix" and unreal logos and etc... LAG when the game starts, like really bad. I eventually skip those and get to the main menu. I have tried several different graphics setups/options and tried playing and benchmarking. The benchmark test shows an average of 5 fps, on anything from completely max to everything on low, and extras disabled and lowest resolution. Needless to say, the performance on actually playing the game is not much better. Maybe like 10 fps? Still unplayable, lags, tears, even up to a 5 second frame of none movement while trying to look around. My drivers are updated, I have deleted and reinstalled several times, and verified the game cache. I have looked for the "Thief.log" error file, but I haven't found it, possibly because the games hasn't crashed in game. Anyways, my pc should be able to play it on the least at normal but that it is performing so bad when it is on the absolute bare bottom settings with every option off and lowest resolution is mindblowing. I have read where others are having similar issues with similar setups, I just want to play and enjoy the game. Here is my specs:

MB:Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3
AMD A6 APU 5400k 3.8Ghz Dual overclocked to 4.2 ( yes I've tried it both oc and stock freq)
4 gb RAM DDR3 at 1600 PC3 12800
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Boost

Meesterjojo
28th Feb 2014, 00:20
Find the bottleneck. Your CPU scores a miserably low 2156 compared to the popular intel 2600k: 8611.

Your ram is probably fine- people tend to throw ram at any issue they have. 4GIGs is plenty, to be sure.

Your Video Card should be more than fine to run at HIGH settings.

That said, I'd lay the blame on your CPU, which fyi costs as much as this game.

It seems rather obvious.

benkei
28th Feb 2014, 09:15
I have the exact same thing. Stuttering all the way, no matter the graphics settings.

Considering that games like Dishonored and Tomb Raider run just fine with all eye-candy enabled on my system, this performance issue is rather disappointing.

I dare say that the problem is not my rig but Thief when every other game runs like a charm except this one being unplayable due to constant stutter starting with the intros.

Syffer
28th Feb 2014, 09:22
Well yeah that's obvious there is an issue with this game.
I guess we need to wait for a patch from them/nvidia.

Have seen some topic saying that using 32bits version of the game was better.
Didn't try atm.

MyPerfection
28th Feb 2014, 09:50
Try the 32bit and the problems are gone. Wanna bet? (:
Go to:
\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Thief\Binaries
DELETE the "Win64" folder
COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy" and RENAME it to "Win64".
Now steam will use the 32bit Version which maybe solve your problems.
I don't know why but I do know that it fixed my bad fps and stuttering etc.

sirtaff
28th Feb 2014, 10:21
Keep an eye out here, I will be updating this and thoroughly testing stuff as soon as I can (over this weekend I should think):

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1990071&postcount=4

benkei
28th Feb 2014, 10:22
Go to:
COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy" and RENAME it to "Win64".
I'll give that a try!

Syffer
28th Feb 2014, 10:34
Go to:

I'd rather recommend to keep the old Win64, just rename to somethink like BackupWin64.
When they will correct the game with a patch, you will be happy to not download again the whole folder :p.

benkei
28th Feb 2014, 10:41
I'll tried the Win32 switch and now it runs just fine. Smooth with full eye-candy!

Really appreciate the hint - thanks a lot! :)

Happy Thievery everyone!

MyPerfection
28th Feb 2014, 10:52
I'd rather recommend to keep the old Win64, just rename to somethink like BackupWin64.
When they will correct the game with a patch, you will be happy to not download again the whole folder :p.
That's one option ... it's only a couple of megabyte so it shouldn't really matter (:

I'll tried the Win32 switch and now it runs just fine. Smooth with full eye-candy!
You're welcome.

Syffer
28th Feb 2014, 12:11
Just tried Win32, no improvements, still the worst framerate ever.
Tried antivrus disabled same
Tried to force Nvidia panel settings, everything to perf or disabled, same
Tried 720p instead of 1080. Getting like 30fps instead of 20, still on ultralow+.

FIX THIS SERIOUSLY

rhirons
28th Feb 2014, 23:14
Go to:

This! A thousand times this! Worked perfectly. I was getting the constant freezing/stuttering issue. Completely gone now and it's silky smooth.

Thank you very much :D

My Specs:
Windows 8.1 64bit
Core i5 3570K @4.2Ghz
8GB Ram
Geforce 660 Ti (1020Mhz core & 6500Mhz memory)
Nvidia 334.89 drivers