PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Glitch

razhiel88
26th Feb 2014, 21:07
Hello, first of all, I would like to thank Eidos for doing so many GREAT games, expecially Legacy of Kain series, which I personally love.

This new Thief is veeery good if we mean gameplay, but there are things that are not perfect. Like the optimization, but it is second thing for me to worry. The first thing is... a shadow. Something so important in this game makes me almost not able to play it,

I cannot see where I am standing, am I in the shadow or out. Something with Dynamic Lightning and Shadows is broken. I guess it is just a case of changing the line in BaseEngine.ini but I have tried many things, and none of them is working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCwRdN34ZnE

This is video which shows what is going on.

Specs: Newest Windows 8.1, GeForce GTS 250 (334.89 drivers, DX10), Intel Core 2 Duo e8400, RAM 4GB GeIL Black Dragon.

Settings set to VERY LOW, also LOW was doing the same thing. I am running 1680x1050 resolution, 60Hz, Fullscreen Exclusive.

Thanks in Advance !

Vinojko
27th Feb 2014, 09:23
I have the sam problem. Maybe its our rig, beacuse i also use Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 and Intel Core 2 Duo e8400.

CaraMamba
27th Feb 2014, 09:32
:( Sadly , I have the same problem, i have a 9800GT-1GB and a Q6600 , so it must be a problem with these cards because the 250 GTS is just a renamed 9800gtx.
May be a patch or a new driver will fix this, because atm it is a real game breaker as the shadows are completely wrong-rendered.
Very nice game BTW Eidos, congratulations !

de_bAzt
27th Feb 2014, 10:58
https://imageshack.com/i/5gxhrpj - light is on
come little closer https://imageshack.com/i/f294hpj magic
sweet shadow https://imageshack.com/i/f2ks87p
dynamic light dont work properly on dx10, i think.
why you left us?

CaraMamba
27th Feb 2014, 14:07
Yes, we have white shadows on black background :lol:
Please Nixxes, find a way to fix this problem because it means that every guy with a non DX11 Gpu will suffer from these problems, and the game cannot be played like this...
Thank you :worship:

NixxesSoftware
27th Feb 2014, 15:40
I am sorry to hear that you are encountering an issue like this. Please know that the issue has been forwarded to our devs for further investigation.

razhiel88
27th Feb 2014, 20:11
Thank you Nixxes for getting interest in this glitch, I guess it is just a wrong rendered shadow, I have been trying to do something to turn off shadows in baseengine.ini file, but all I did, was to glitch me up the whole game, like purple flying squares :D. Borderlands 1 had the same problem sometimes, I don't remember how they fixed it, would be good to ask them ;).

daniloventurini
27th Feb 2014, 21:06
Oh, good to see I'm not alone. =P
I'm experiencing the same lightning issue. It seems it works properly from afar, but as soon as I step into its area of effect, it gets messed up around Garrett. What is supposed to be illuminated gets dark, and garrett's shadow, which was supposed to be dark, gets illuminated.

Here you can see that from afar it's good.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/955x764q90/850/7553.jpg

Then, as I step into the light area...
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/955x764q90/24/v47j.jpg

And as I move, everything around Garret stops receiving light.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/955x764q90/837/7gil.jpg

In this image you can see the light/shadow inversion the issue causes.
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/955x764q90/801/aq5h.jpg

So it is as if Garrett had an invisible aura that corrupts lightning as soon as it touches it. I hope the devs find a solution soon. =)

By the way, my video card is also a 9800GT-1Gb, like the user CaraMamba.

Last_one131
28th Feb 2014, 06:38
another one
GTS250 again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb_60tbdOQE

JRaynard
28th Feb 2014, 20:09
Same problem here, with the GTS250.

de_bAzt
28th Feb 2014, 20:41
new update do not help us :( (build 4110.1)

Cavalier
28th Feb 2014, 20:59
Someone on TTLG reported exactly the same problem (in the same spot as the screenshots above). Using a geforce 8800 gts card.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143396

FrozenFire
28th Feb 2014, 22:11
I have a GeForce 8800 GTS as well (the one with 1 GB VRAM) and this bug occurs everywhere throughout the game, not only in this spot. I already tried changing different parameters in my ThiefEngine.ini, but unfortunately couldn't solve the problem yet.

What makes me wonder is why the bug only appears in this game and not in any of the other Unreal Engine 3 games that I played recently.

Hisani
1st Mar 2014, 01:48
It could be changes made to the engine.
I am though thinking what would happen if we were to put some of the dx11 .dll files next to the games exe, if this is truly a DX10 issue.
Other than that I think all we can do is wait for the next patch which I really hope comes around soon.

zwanzig_zwoelf
1st Mar 2014, 02:33
Yes, we have white shadows on black background :lol:
Please Nixxes, find a way to fix this problem because it means that every guy with a non DX11 Gpu will suffer from these problems, and the game cannot be played like this...
Thank you :worship:

You gotta be ******* kidding me. EVERY guy?
My GPU supports only up to DX10, and I didn't have an issue like this.

Hisani
1st Mar 2014, 02:50
You gotta be ******* kidding me. EVERY guy?
My GPU supports only up to DX10, and I didn't have an issue like this.

Then post the GPU you have on here so the developers know if its maybe a certain range of Nvidia video cards.
Out of curiosity,Nixxes, when can we expect the patch to fix this?I'm dying to play the game but this bug is kinda making it unbearable.

Tanis13
1st Mar 2014, 08:31
same bug with GTX 550 Ti

Firetaffer
1st Mar 2014, 10:03
Same problem here, with 512MB 9800GT.

Funnily enough I went all the way to Chapter 4 with this issue because I want to play some Thief

YoungZer0
1st Mar 2014, 12:32
Yep, got the same problem.
Using a GTS250 as well.

It also remember seeing icons over enemies disappear in the same fashion, but maybe I was just imaging that.
It's absolutely frustrating and completely unplayable in this state.

imported_Ali_S
2nd Mar 2014, 05:15
Have same issue here too
I hope it fix it soon at next update

TEMP_mhl
3rd Mar 2014, 19:15
Same here, GTS250.

de_bAzt
4th Mar 2014, 22:56
guys how much video memory we have on 250GTS? try on lower resolution, for example 1024x768. аnd see what happens with light, shadow.

TEMP_mhl
5th Mar 2014, 05:54
guys how much video memory we have on 250GTS? try on lower resolution, for example 1024x768. аnd see what happens with light, shadow.

My is 512mb. Same happens on each resolution.

Obsidious
5th Mar 2014, 08:46
Just chiming in saying that the same thing happens to me with virtually every combination of graphics settings that are at my disposal. Although my Geforce 9800 GT is probably subpar for most of games today, it should be stated that this problem is probably far spread.

Hisani
5th Mar 2014, 14:44
Can someone from Nixxes post in regards to when this issue will be fixed?

Cavalier
5th Mar 2014, 19:49
Hope it's soon...the game is unplayable in this state.

NixxesSoftware
5th Mar 2014, 20:54
All I can say about this at this point is that the issue is under investigation, and we hope for it to be resolved soon.

de_bAzt
7th Mar 2014, 01:31
up!

Hisani
7th Mar 2014, 07:48
Lets just hope that this will be fixed and posted with Mantle patch.

FrozenFire
7th Mar 2014, 17:14
I hope the developers are aware of the fact that quite a number of people are unable to play the game right now as long as this bug isn't fixed. Personally, I'm checking this forum twice a day, because I can't play the game in its current state...

TEMP_mhl
7th Mar 2014, 18:01
I hope the developers are aware of the fact that quite a number of people are unable to play the game right now as long as this bug isn't fixed. Personally, I'm checking this forum twice a day, because I can't play the game in its current state...

Totally agree. No way to play the way it is.

de_bAzt
8th Mar 2014, 00:41
new update help to users with 250GTS? dynamic lights and shadows

Hisani
8th Mar 2014, 02:00
I personally still got the issue.
Nixxes, when'll this get fixed?

TEMP_mhl
8th Mar 2014, 12:53
Still no fix on this issue with new patch. Still game is not playable.

de_bAzt
8th Mar 2014, 15:42
Still no fix on this issue with new patch. Still game is not playable.

wait with us miracle

JRaynard
10th Mar 2014, 18:19
Wait for a miracle with us, you mean.

Rarely do these issues get fixed. Especially from Eidos. They have one of the worst track records for broken games in the industry, followed only by Jowood.

I might seem cynical, but I have seen this all before on many games. It never gets fixed.

PLEASE prove me wrong.

de_bAzt
10th Mar 2014, 22:21
Wait for a miracle with us, you mean.

Rarely do these issues get fixed. Especially from Eidos. They have one of the worst track records for broken games in the industry, followed only by Jowood.

I might seem cynical, but I have seen this all before on many games. It never gets fixed.

PLEASE prove me wrong.

it's all Google's(translator) fault

CaraMamba
12th Mar 2014, 17:42
Honestly, there is little chance we see a fix for this, it apparently concerns just a few gamers with specific GPU like nVidia 8800/9800/250 series

TEMP_mhl
12th Mar 2014, 18:41
Honestly, there is little chance we see a fix for this, it apparently concerns just a few gamers with specific GPU like nVidia 8800/9800/250 series

GTS 250 is put in minimum requirements. If the game was released with such bug, I doubt they have even tested it on this card therefore.

People that bought the game and own such card should get their money back if there won't be a fix for that shouldn't they?

CaraMamba
12th Mar 2014, 20:18
Of course, you're right

Hisani
13th Mar 2014, 01:19
I honestly hate when developers hide behind system requirements when it is pretty clear that we CAN run the game on normal settings,the shadows work they are just inverted.Meaning that the system requirements are exhagerrated just to get these issues ignored because they can protect themselves with "Oh yeah you're below system requirements now get out".

TEMP_mhl
13th Mar 2014, 05:54
But in this case we are not below system requirements with GTS250, the game works pretty well just there is a bug which should be solved. This is not hardware issue...

FrozenFire
13th Mar 2014, 21:50
Bump... still can't play the game. Are we really getting ignored now?

CaraMamba
13th Mar 2014, 22:01
...it seems we are :-(

Cavalier
13th Mar 2014, 22:42
They've already got your money, dude.

sarimarton
14th Mar 2014, 02:01
This is about DynamicLights=True in the ThiefEngine.ini file.

If it is turned off, there's no glitch, but of course no dynamic lights at the same time.

It seems that for some reason the thief engine turns off dynamic light of areas when Garret is coming close.

sarimarton
14th Mar 2014, 02:20
Nixxes,

This is, at least on geforce 8800gtx, nothing to do with shadows. It is that when i come closer to objects with dynamic light on them, dynamic light gets switched off.

It seems to me, that it should be easily fixed.

sarimarton
14th Mar 2014, 02:22
Oops, sorry for the double post.

CaraMamba
14th Mar 2014, 15:22
Ofc you can play without dynamic lights, but then your light gem is always dark and you are nearly invisible to all enemies even in enlightened areas...

SpaskaDacheva
14th Mar 2014, 16:19
I have the same issue ( Nvidia 9800gtx)

blablabla3
15th Mar 2014, 09:21
finally i solved the problem and im using 9600gt. i had the same issue and i packed it, honestly it was very simple and i didnt even buy the game xD i love try games with skidrow and others because they will never fix this issue and they dont even care you all. this is why im not gonna buy this game. (btw i have 52 original games, im not pirate fan but this time, nailed!)

bye poor 'legal' guys. its really sad to see you here like this.
and
suck it devs! i wish no one buys your stupid Ati-Amd game ever. ( again.)

(yea if u have an intel processor it will be a problem too. what a stupid thing isnt it? )

Obsidious
15th Mar 2014, 11:45
And what exactly did you do that fixed it?

sarimarton
15th Mar 2014, 14:30
Anyway, further specifying the issue...

It's not about dynamic lights gets switched off, but get inversed.
And it's not just around Garret, but around every actor in the game.

Some shadowmap gets inversed??...

CaraMamba
16th Mar 2014, 03:05
And what exactly did you do that fixed it?

he didn't; he is just trolling :rolleyes:

Obsidious
17th Mar 2014, 18:51
K I guess this is not going to be fixed. Although this is very unfortunate, I am going to uninstall the game and close this chapter, so to speak.

Springheel
17th Mar 2014, 19:48
It's only been 10 days since their last patch was released...these things can take time.

For the record, I'm using a geforce 8800 gts card and have the same problem, so I'm hoping a fix is in the pipline.

Obsidious
17th Mar 2014, 20:43
It's only been 10 days since their last patch was released...these things can take time.

For the record, I'm using a geforce 8800 gts card and have the same problem, so I'm hoping a fix is in the pipline.

You may be right about people having to take it slow, and I'm not trying to be impatient. Maybe it will be fixed and I will take a look at it then. But I probably won't even hear about it, since for now I'm simply moving on. Although I am a little disappointed, you can't make a game work on all systems, and I will let others decide what you should be able to expect and what not. No hard feelings. I don't care anymore.

pwyll
17th Mar 2014, 22:42
I had a similar problem with a shadow aura following me on one of the STALKER games. I think I solved it by lowering or turning off a setting in Video Settings. Too bad I can't remember what it was. Did I changed the resolution?

Have you guys tried to turn off Graphic settings one by one to see if the issue persists?

By the way I'm using GTX460, playing on Normal settings (after the latest patch), on 32bit mode and luckily I don't see this shadow.

CaraMamba
18th Mar 2014, 17:25
I tried absolutely everything possible , even changing the variables in the BaseEngine.ini file

Springheel
18th Mar 2014, 19:54
A new patch is out...doesn't specifically mention this problem in the list of fixes, but has anyone tried it yet?

Wonder if this will have any impact:

Added "Automatically Limit Texture Quality" option, when turned on it limits texture quality based on the amount of dedicated VRAM

de_bAzt
18th Mar 2014, 22:39
A new patch is out...doesn't specifically mention this problem in the list of fixes, but has anyone tried it yet?

Wonder if this will have any impact:

dont help :(

Hisani
19th Mar 2014, 14:31
Yeah,nothing fixed.Still the same problem.

Springheel
19th Mar 2014, 19:59
Darn. I can't bring myself to try and play through the game with that issue. Hopefully there will be another patch coming.

FrozenFire
19th Mar 2014, 22:04
Please devs, we really need a fix for this bug! Take a look at that glitch and you'll want to fix it, because it's certainly not the way you want your game to be played.

TEMP_mhl
20th Mar 2014, 21:13
Can we at least have an official information if someone is or is not taking care about this issue?

Because if not I'll just stop waste my time for visiting this page each day looking for a miracle.

Thank you in advance.

Hisani
21st Mar 2014, 09:46
I'd say we are being outright ignored right now since it's been going on for three patches now.

NixxesSoftware
21st Mar 2014, 12:47
We would like to let you know that we are looking into this issue and we expect it to be fixed in a future patch.
Thank you all for your patience.

Springheel
21st Mar 2014, 17:20
Great to know, thanks!

imported_Ali_S
22nd Mar 2014, 17:53
We would like to let you know that we are looking into this issue and we expect it to be fixed in a future patch.
Thank you all for your patience.
At least Nixxes we need fix for stutter in both 64bit and 32bit and shadow glitch that's all
and the game will work so good

muatdeeb
29th Mar 2014, 11:19
still waiting :mad2:

de_bAzt
30th Mar 2014, 01:05
still waiting :mad2:

+ ^_^

de_bAzt
1st Apr 2014, 09:24
ahchoo!

Springheel
3rd Apr 2014, 17:26
Yea, I don't want to be the naysayer here, but this doesn't look like its going to be fixed

The most recent patch lists:
Fixed an issue with shadows that would occur on certain Nvidia and Intel GPUs.

Sure sounds like it might be this one...anyone tried it yet?

FrozenFire
3rd Apr 2014, 21:07
Just tried it and with update 1.4 it's finally fixed!! :)
Good job, devs!