PDA

View Full Version : Massive slowdown issues - patch?

Pillowman
26th Feb 2014, 05:55
So after my firm decision not to preorder based on some of the reviews, I completely and shamelessly caved at the last second because I just couldn't bear to not see it for myself after 10 years of waiting.

And, of course, I have been unable to see it for myself, at least longer for a few minutes at a time.

The game runs like butter when I first boot it up, but only for a few minutes, after which it slows to a crawl, and becomes a literal slideshow during any cutscenes. As far as I'm able to tell, everything is solidly above the minimum specs, but the game is essentially unplayable: I ran the in-game benchmark and it averaged out at about 4 FPS.

I had a very similar experience wit the DX:HR Director's Cut (the original runs beautifully at maxed out everything): smooth for a few minutes, burns out thereafter. No other games give me this problem - Witcher 2, Bioshock Inifinite, Crysis 2 all are playable at solid FPS with maxed-out graphics (or nearly).

Has anyone else experienced this? What can one do to ameliorate the issue? I'm not a huge tech guru - I've heard the phrase CPU bottleneck thrown around - is that something that can be fixed (if it's indeed the problem?) I checked the tech forum and it's kind of dead, so I thought I'd try here. Is there word of a day/week 1 patch coming down the pipeline?

Many thanks for any help or thoughts.

Specs:
CPU: IntelCore i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
RAM: 16GB
Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M
Driver Version: 334.89

Fatherwoodsie
26th Feb 2014, 06:31
This is why you never buy at first release! I learned my lesson from FC3

Verrenus
26th Feb 2014, 08:42
It sounds to me like a classic example of your laptop entering thermal throttling. If it runs butter smooth at the beginning, then turns into a literal, unplayable slideshow (e.g. 4-5 fps) a while after, it means that your laptop is overheating and because it cannot disperse the heat fast enough to maintain the same level of performance, it automatically scales performance down to generate less heat! This is what's known as throttling.

What you can try to solve this problem is either to open up your laptop and get rid of any accumulated dust using a can of compressed air or buy a laptop cooling pad. Here's a few examples: http://laptop-coolers-review.toptenreviews.com/mobile/. In my case, doing both of those things eliminated my laptop's throttling issues altogether!

Hope that helps! :D

xDarknessFallsx
26th Feb 2014, 08:52
Yeah, if you've never dusted inside, it could have chunks of dust inhibiting the airflow through the GPU fan, the graphics card fan, and the CPU heatsink. I've seen PCs with quite a bit of dust built-up inside, making it hard for fan blades to even spin because of dust accumulation on/around them, because they've never been cleaned in years.

Your computer will love you if it's way dusty and you clean it out. I like doing that dust maintenance. It's like a mini- tune-up and the computer wiggles with excitement.

Verrenus
26th Feb 2014, 09:02
Yeah, if you've never dusted inside, it could have chunks of dust inhibiting the airflow through the GPU fan, the graphics card fan, and the CPU heatsink. I've seen PCs with quite a bit of dust built-up inside, making it hard for fan blades to even spin because of dust accumulation on/around them, because they've never been cleaned in years.

Your computer will love you if it's way dusty and you clean it out. I like doing that dust maintenance. It's like a mini- tune-up and the computer wiggles with excitement.

Very true! I like taking care of my rig as well. Can't expect peak performance if you don't show it some love every now and then! ;)

sirtaff
26th Feb 2014, 11:22
Let this little story be a lesson:

I recently bought an SSD (which btw is highly recommended if you don't have one, it makes a HUUUUGE difference to pretty much any pc) and decided I would do as has been suggested above and clean a few fans. I have also had an annoying rattle for a few weeks that I haven't time to investigate.

I should probably also explain I have a big ass tower unit with more fans than is probably strictly necessary (but it makes me smile :) ), so not a laptop, but the sum total you should take away from this tale is the same for any pc of any form factor (and probably consoles too!).... and I should also declare I hadn't opened my PC in well over 18 months.... at least.

So I started with opening the side and popping off the front intake fans in front of the hard drives, I then pulled out the dust trap on the first fan (my case has a lot of fan dust traps), holy jumping builder, the best way to describe what was in there is "matted grey jumper of dust about 5-10 mm (maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch) thick! It was unbelievable! I should probably state I like to keep my flat pretty clean too so this was just a build up of "ambient dust" from the air, incredible.

This one fan basically forced me to look at all my fans, the other front fans, side fans and exhausts were all the same. I was actually amazed at how my case was getting any air flow at all?!!??!!?! I also have a corsair h70 (self contained CPU water cooling block kit) when I removed the push and pull fans (that direct airflow over the CPU cooling radiator and into the case to be exhausted elsewhere) the layer of dust on the water block fins was even worse!!!

The moral of this story? It's amazing how much air flow restriction a modern throttling PC can actually continue to operate with whilst still appearing to operate relatively normally. It's only when you really push the hardware do you see the real problem.

I now have a very much cleaned up PC with a nice SSD fitted. Can't recommend enough getting an SSD and giving your PC innards a good dust !

Pillowman
26th Feb 2014, 15:44
Many thanks y'all - I'm going to give these a try. I had dusted a little while ago, but perhaps not thoroughly enough. Will report back if things are still unpleasant.